Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,961 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:06 AM

Why Is It So Hard To Find A Job In Nigeria? - Jobs/Vacancies (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Why Is It So Hard To Find A Job In Nigeria? (30985 Views)

FG Uncovers 925 Hard-to-fill Vacancies In Labour Market / 80k Job In Sokoto Or Relocate To Abuja To Hustle Please Advice. / How To Get A Job In Australia From Nigeria As A Graduate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is It So Hard To Find A Job In Nigeria? by tityboi: 4:47pm On Jan 10, 2020
Ask the leaders
Re: Why Is It So Hard To Find A Job In Nigeria? by DexterousOne(m): 4:47pm On Jan 10, 2020
wman:

You need more big businesses to solve unemployment. A big business will hire hundreds and thousands of people that small businesses won't hire.

The basic problem is that the big businesses are folding up. Companies are pulling out of Nigeria. Go to Ikeja Industrial Estate, a lot of companies have left. Companies like Nestle, Unilever and P & G have moved some product lines to Ghana and other African countries. So, they laid off the casual workers that run those factories in Nigeria.

Check out any developed country, it is the big businesses that hire more. Countries try to attract big investors to their country to reduce unemployment. Opposite is the case in Nigeria with unfavourable policies.

Small businesses have now replicated each other to the extent that they are no longer as profitable as they should be. Everywhere you see multiple barbing salons, tailors, canteens, shoe makers, photocopying centres, bakeries, pure water companies, drink sellers etc.

Many of the owners have faced reduced profits. Because, lack of innovation is making everyone to sell the same thing.

Big businesses are the solution. Not small businesses.

You have made a very valid point

1 Like

Re: Why Is It So Hard To Find A Job In Nigeria? by LZAA: 4:48pm On Jan 10, 2020
Afamed can tell us more about BMC Zombieism and how to get 30k grin
Cc immhotep GMBuharii greenback Adaibeku ebenezar2020

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Is It So Hard To Find A Job In Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:48pm On Jan 10, 2020
tstx:
It is easy.... What is hard is getting an employer that will treat you like a human being...

Virtually all are evil. And I don't blame them.
In Nigeria once you treat underlings with the respect they deserve they start disrespecting you..

E.G
Because my dad is an irredeemably nice man, our gateman always takes his sweet time to open the gate for him .. Sometimes when he is tired he even pretends to be asleep.. But you see those tenants wey dey slap am, abuse am, etc.. If you see the way he rushes to open gate for them eh..
. you think say nah gateman work we dey find? i rather be here on NL insulting the illiterate the promised us job but failed.

the dullard gave all the appointments and jobs to his kinsmen
Re: Why Is It So Hard To Find A Job In Nigeria? by CodeTemplar: 4:49pm On Jan 10, 2020
DaVader:
Entrepreneurship should come to rescue, I think. But not, my account balance is even reading minus, in owing access bank self. Well, I don't know what to do, maybe I juts want till everything falls into the right place.... I don't think that would happen anytime soon.

Depression, I'm begging you, don't set in now or sooner.
Let me try and break it down.
Take milk for example, we consume it but don't produce it. The bulk of the production activities are carried out abroad in Asia or Holland. What we do is import a largely finished product and package it as Cowbell® and Milksy®. So we end up employing foreign hands.
Take oil as another example, we process less than 15% of out crude. The remaining 85% is processed by foreigners and their salary is added to the cost of the crude before selling to buyer which includes Nigeria. If 15% can employ so much hands, imaging what 100% can do.

Finally, take coca as another raw material we have in good quantity and quality but prefer to sell out as raw materials to foreigners who process it and build a over $100b market around it. we control about 20% of the raw cocoa market and therefore support about 20% or $20b of the market share cocoa drives or global coca based market.

We don't process anything but sell all our raw materials.

Solid minerals is another sad story for another day.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is It So Hard To Find A Job In Nigeria? by Ciscogod(m): 4:49pm On Jan 10, 2020
OhiOfIhima:

Qualified! Is it a professional job? Why can the company employ capable hands n teach them d way forward, I am vr sure, they will excel. I have worked in a place where I have zero knowledge of but due to proper tutoring, I excel. We even dey operate machines written in Chinese.

Pls, looking for qualified can be damaging too.

You are right, I have no practical experience when i joined my company as an IP engr.. Its an IT firm .. You should have some skills or certification ,zeal before any employ can take you in the Core dept.
Re: Why Is It So Hard To Find A Job In Nigeria? by anochuko01(m): 4:55pm On Jan 10, 2020
anonymous96:

Not saying you are lying but u still didn't prove him wrong. He never said ur friend wasn't interning at AXA, just what he did at AXA .. So i don't see why you sent the email.. Unnecessary..
maybe i shouldnt have posted the email truly.
but please, if mansard sponsored a machine learning competition and he performed well and was asked to come for internship, would they leave his machine learning skill and ask him to come be a sales rep? does not having an established machine learning department stop them from implementing machine learning in their company?
wema and access bank did this same thing last year and non of them has an established machine learning department....
sir, its so unbelievable that a person would doubt the use of data science and machine learning in a company like mansard. doesnt it sound laughable?
Re: Why Is It So Hard To Find A Job In Nigeria? by Papertrail11(m): 5:00pm On Jan 10, 2020
In the next few years, Universities may start to redefine their role in the educational sector and im talking about both public and private.

We are having an increased number of folks who arent practicing with what they studied in Uni

Folks who come out of Uni and are depressed with relaties on ground.

My grandad was born around the 1930's set awon Awolowo and he was lucky to get a good govt job in cocoa board wanna know why because the amount of people who went to school were more than tradesmen so even if you were a third class graduante you would always get a fix.

Take a look a Chinese folks in Nigeria, some of them cant even speak basic english but you cant deny the fact that they have technical skills how to build a factory, how to build a road, how to build a bridge but our Uni's here in Nigeria dont teach hou such skills they just believe you need skills on how be an "Administrator; come here go there, send the report, wear suit, wear tie, talk to the shareholders"

So the answer is we must tweak our educational curiculum

The amount of skilled workers in a labour market must always be greater than the amount of college educated folks

if the reverse appears to be the case Problem.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Is It So Hard To Find A Job In Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:08pm On Jan 10, 2020
DaVader:
Entrepreneurship should come to rescue, I think. But not, my account balance is even reading minus, in owing access bank self. Well, I don't know what to do, maybe I juts want till everything falls into the right place.... I don't think that would happen anytime soon.

Depression, I'm begging you, don't set in now or sooner.

Because there are no jobs in nigeria
Re: Why Is It So Hard To Find A Job In Nigeria? by kayalla(f): 5:09pm On Jan 10, 2020
its not only in Nigeria o, i ve worked in UAe, its 6 years in Feb, i ve the required work experience and yet very hard to change job, its all about who do u know

3 Likes

Re: Why Is It So Hard To Find A Job In Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:10pm On Jan 10, 2020
Omihanifa:
One of the major factors responsible for the high level of unemployment in Nigeria is the rapid growth in population. There has been an increase in the growth of the labor forces along with the inadequate supply of jobs. The rapid population growth has been coupled with rural-urban migration. This has increased the population in cities thereby raising the level of joblessness undecided

Also the problems of lack of electricity and low purchasing power angry

Population growth isn't the problem in Nigeria as regards unemployment wahala. Do u know the population growth rate of India?
Re: Why Is It So Hard To Find A Job In Nigeria? by anochuko01(m): 5:11pm On Jan 10, 2020
@ anonymous96 Freshprince91
i dont know if this convinces you of the application of AI in mansard.

1 Like

Re: Why Is It So Hard To Find A Job In Nigeria? by HIGHSTAKE647: 5:15pm On Jan 10, 2020
We give loans to Businesses and people that stay around lekki, vi, Ajah, lekki, jakande, Awoyaya , lakowe eleko we can give you upto (50m) in 3 working days kindly Check my signature for further enqiry
Re: Why Is It So Hard To Find A Job In Nigeria? by DexterousOne(m): 5:24pm On Jan 10, 2020
wman:

You need more big businesses to solve unemployment. A big business will hire hundreds and thousands of people that small businesses won't hire.

The basic problem is that the big businesses are folding up. Companies are pulling out of Nigeria. Go to Ikeja Industrial Estate, a lot of companies have left. Companies like Nestle, Unilever and P & G have moved some product lines to Ghana and other African countries. So, they laid off the casual workers that run those factories in Nigeria.

Check out any developed country, it is the big businesses that hire more. Countries try to attract big investors to their country to reduce unemployment. Opposite is the case in Nigeria with unfavourable policies.

Small businesses have now replicated each other to the extent that they are no longer as profitable as they should be. Everywhere you see multiple barbing salons, tailors, canteens, shoe makers, photocopying centres, bakeries, pure water companies, drink sellers etc.

Many of the owners have faced reduced profits. Because, lack of innovation is making everyone to sell the same thing.

Big businesses are the solution. Not small businesses.

Both you and FrancasNg are correct in different ways.

You say Big businesses hire a lot
That's the fact

But big business started small/medium scale

I can t think of any conglomerate that started AS A CONGLOMERATE
That's where Franchasng point comes in

We need the environment to encourAge small and medium scale entreprises....
Then overtime, some of them will grow into giants, and hire more people
Solving the unemployment problem

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is It So Hard To Find A Job In Nigeria? by DexterousOne(m): 5:25pm On Jan 10, 2020
PrecisionFx:

Population growth isn't the problem in Nigeria as regards unemployment wahala. Do u know the population growth rate of India?

Its far less tthan that of Nigeria

India has a higher population
But Nigeria has a staggering population growth rate

If India grows at over 3% per annum
They will be bleeped in 20 years

1 Like

Re: Why Is It So Hard To Find A Job In Nigeria? by miriamchi(f): 5:37pm On Jan 10, 2020
Ciscogod:
There are jobs in Nigeria,

Is either you are over qualified for the Available job or not qualified,

We have vacancy in my unit and have been sourcing out for qualified candidate but still yet to find one.

The qualified ones want something close to 6 figures.
please can my fiance apply?..he's an M.Sc holder in Mathematics and Pure Science.
Re: Why Is It So Hard To Find A Job In Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:40pm On Jan 10, 2020
DexterousOne:

Its far less tthan that of Nigeria

India has a higher population
But Nigeria has a staggering population growth rate

If India grows at over 3% per annum
They will be bleeped in 20 years

Stop quoting what u dont know. Annual growth rate in india is 6.6% per year. Note that India doesn't have a population control policy.

Annual growth rate of Nigeria in 2017 is 0.8%
Re: Why Is It So Hard To Find A Job In Nigeria? by Ciscogod(m): 5:41pm On Jan 10, 2020
miriamchi:
please can my fiance apply?..he's an M.Sc holder in Mathematics and Pure Science.

Strictly for Network Engineer , Its an ICT Firm
Re: Why Is It So Hard To Find A Job In Nigeria? by okonja(m): 5:42pm On Jan 10, 2020
I'm sorry, some are unemployable

3 Likes

Re: Why Is It So Hard To Find A Job In Nigeria? by Ay04z(m): 5:42pm On Jan 10, 2020
It is more hard if u Don pass 30 years.. My advice. Go and do any positive job dat come ur way d d pay might be small. But trust me. Get something doing.
Re: Why Is It So Hard To Find A Job In Nigeria? by miriamchi(f): 5:42pm On Jan 10, 2020
HIGHSTAKE647:
We give loans to Businesses and people that stay around lekki, vi, Ajah, lekki, jakande, Awoyaya , lakowe eleko we can give you upto (50m) in 3 working days kindly Check my signature for further enqiry
Are your loans interest or collateral free?
Re: Why Is It So Hard To Find A Job In Nigeria? by miriamchi(f): 5:45pm On Jan 10, 2020
Ciscogod:

he's hot very great ICT skills also...pls can he just give it a try?
Re: Why Is It So Hard To Find A Job In Nigeria? by miriamchi(f): 5:45pm On Jan 10, 2020
Ciscogod:

he's got very great ICT skills also...pls can he just give it a try?
Re: Why Is It So Hard To Find A Job In Nigeria? by Ciscogod(m): 5:54pm On Jan 10, 2020
miriamchi:
he's got very great ICT skills also...pls can he just give it a try?

Can you ask him if he can work as an IP Engr? Does he have any certification or experience as a Network Engr?
Re: Why Is It So Hard To Find A Job In Nigeria? by Ciscogod(m): 6:07pm On Jan 10, 2020
Adeyemo466:
Can I try my luck

Are you a Network Engr?
Re: Why Is It So Hard To Find A Job In Nigeria? by Swinger60(f): 6:12pm On Jan 10, 2020
olisaEze:
Because people keep voting in politicians that steal money & jobs meant for u to give their undeserving relations!
uncle, sorry, we didn't vote them in, they rigged themselves in against our will.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is It So Hard To Find A Job In Nigeria? by BenklinsJones(m): 6:13pm On Jan 10, 2020
Ciscogod:

Can you ask him if he can work as an IP Engr? Does he have any certification or experience as a Network Engr?

pls can u link bro? I am Cisco Certified and Studied Computer Engineering

1 Like

Re: Why Is It So Hard To Find A Job In Nigeria? by dgee1(m): 6:14pm On Jan 10, 2020
Hello bro, I really like your energy. Please I would like to acquire some of this IT skills and would please want you to guide me. Thanks so much.

anochuko01:

I would have insulted you but no need.
With your whole intelligence, you don't know that machine learning and AI involve data science too? Do you know if they probably want to start another line of business and need to make predictions?

Myself and the said guy started learning stuffs together last year, and in less than 12months there's been dramatic progress for both of us. He came 2nd in a machine learning hackathon and they were both offered the slots.
I'm into robotics and have started implementing a bit of AI.

I pity the lazy people that "liked" all you wrote coz my sole aim was to encourage people to go learn in demand skills.

Okay now, another Friend learnt Microsoft Dynamics for six months and is now gainfully employed on the island. You can doubt this one too so I can prove you wrong again lol.

If we all keep giving excuses, nobody would be anything meaningful.
Re: Why Is It So Hard To Find A Job In Nigeria? by dgee1(m): 6:19pm On Jan 10, 2020
anochuko01:

Sir, all we need to do is to take our eyes of money for 12 months and learn whats needed.
But No, everyone is acting like a slave to money.

An average Nigerian graduate is "useless" to the labour market. That's the saddest reality we don't want to swallow. That's the hard truth I told myself when I left school. Despite a very good result, I knew I had nothing to offer the modern society and I took over two years putting myself in order.
I could have been carrying certificate around screaming theres no job, and allow my youth to waste away on top job search.
You just described my situation,bro. Only that I've lacked the discipline to focus on acquiring an IT skill. Please, once again, I would like to connect with you. Thanks
Re: Why Is It So Hard To Find A Job In Nigeria? by anochuko01(m): 6:36pm On Jan 10, 2020
dgee1:
You just described my situation,bro. Only that I've lacked the discipline to focus on acquiring an IT skill. Please, once again, I would like to connect with you. Thanks
Good evening. It's a long journey but we've got no choice. You can please send me your e-mail address.
Re: Why Is It So Hard To Find A Job In Nigeria? by dgee1(m): 6:38pm On Jan 10, 2020
anochuko01:

Good evening. It's a long journey but we've got no choice. You can please send me your e-mail address.
My email address is adedayo1(at)gmail.com . Thanks so much bro.
Re: Why Is It So Hard To Find A Job In Nigeria? by YourWriter: 6:53pm On Jan 10, 2020
soleexx:
I think dere are jobs out there but very competitive... What ever you studies you must hav high knowledge skills in IT.. Without these no one will want you..

Get a certified digital IT skills

I can help get some certificate in IT at Leeds University, Michigan University and more but after your completion of program online you will rite exam... If you pass congratulations

Bro abeg let me have your number

Contact me if u interested...
Absolutely free

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

What Happened After I Lied On My CV / How I Lost A Beautiful Job Opportunity Carelessly / Urgent Vacancy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.