Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,478 members, 7,816,129 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:02 AM

7 Reasons Why Christians Should Stop Taking Alcohol - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 7 Reasons Why Christians Should Stop Taking Alcohol (41721 Views)

Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? / 10 Things Christians Should Avoid In Church For Their Own Good. / Is Taking Alcohol Responsibly A Sin ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 7 Reasons Why Christians Should Stop Taking Alcohol by Nobody: 9:58am On Jan 12, 2020
quaintbloke:
Nigerian writers have a funny way of making blanket statements to suit their writing style, at the end of the day, the write up turns out illogical.
How the writer has conveniently equated alcohol intake to being drink still bemuses me.
Its more like saying people shouldn't take salt because in excess, it causes hypertension , shouldn't take sugar cos in excess, it can cause diabetes or shouldnt make money because it's the root of all evil.
How logical.

Galatians 5:21
[21]Envyings, murders, DRUNKENNESS, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things SHALL NOT INHERIT THE KINGDOM OF GOD

Even though you didn't accept all the points listed but pls read the above scripture.

1 Like

Re: 7 Reasons Why Christians Should Stop Taking Alcohol by Pedrotina11: 10:00am On Jan 12, 2020
mariovito:
Oga OP please come and explain verse 26

Deuteronomy 14:22-29 English Standard Version (ESV)Tithes

22 AYou shall tithe all the yield of your seed that comes from the field year by year. 23 And before the Lord your God, in the place that he will choose, to make his name dwell there, B)" style="font-size: 0.625em; line-height: 22px; vertical-align: top;">you shall eat the tithe of your grain, of your wine, and of your oil, C)" style="font-size: 0.625em; line-height: 22px; vertical-align: top;">and the firstborn of your herd and flock, D)" style="font-size: 0.625em; line-height: 22px; vertical-align: top;">that you may learn to fear the Lord your God always. 24 And if the way is too long for you, so that you are not able to carry the tithe, when the Lord your God blesses you, because E)" style="font-size: 0.625em; line-height: 22px; vertical-align: top;">the place is too far from you, which the Lord your God chooses, to set his name there, 25 then you shall turn it into money and bind up the money in your hand and go to the place that the Lord your God chooses 26 and spend the money for whatever you desire—oxen or sheep or wine or strong drink, whatever your appetite craves. you shall eat there before the Lord your God and rejoice, you and your household. 

Nobody is saying taking strong wine would take u to hell...drink less of it for the sake of ur kidneys, Dnt be a habitual drinker..

Then for those that are anioted of the lord or seeks the anioting of the lord for one purpose or the other its very clear stay away from strong drink...this is a simple sturv.
Re: 7 Reasons Why Christians Should Stop Taking Alcohol by virago(f): 10:01am On Jan 12, 2020
DownChelsea:
in those places, there is nothing sinful in the intake of weed

Wait you seem to be confusing

Wrong and right
legal and illegal
Sin and not a sin

There's a difference in all 3 and can not be used interchangeably , so while something may be legal it doesn't mean it is not a sin ( please try to understand this ).
Re: 7 Reasons Why Christians Should Stop Taking Alcohol by LargeBreed(m): 10:02am On Jan 12, 2020
TundeKorede:

Source: http://www.tundekorede.com/7-reasons-why-every-christian-must-stop-drinking-alcohol/
Your points are nonsense. Moderate alcohol drinking is good. It is only bad when you abuse it, just like it's bad when we abuse other things.
Re: 7 Reasons Why Christians Should Stop Taking Alcohol by uvie66: 10:02am On Jan 12, 2020
Pedrotina11:

Drinking kills ur kidney whether u get drunk or not...u wld say I no a man that drinks and he lived up till 90 years...knw something nw..the world currently is polluted frm the air to the food we eat, the kidney is responsible for taking care of this toxins from the food to the water we drink and nw ur stressing it by the alcohol u take, telling me I Dnt get drunk....u r a fool. Whether u get drunk or not ur kidney wld suffer the consequence.. Go the the hospital and see people on queue for kidney transplant.. U joke with ur health..
Nonsense talk moderate drinking does not harm you, Google it.
Re: 7 Reasons Why Christians Should Stop Taking Alcohol by Pedrotina11: 10:04am On Jan 12, 2020
DownChelsea:
I am telling you what you don’t know. There is no way moderate drinking will affect your organs. Moderate drinking on the other hand helps the longevity of your vital organs.

Kip deceiving urself...do ur research properly drinking habitually increases ur chances of having kidney issues..whether u drink moderately or not as long as u drink daliy ur chances of having renal failure is high...am telling u facts not hearsay...do ur research and stop deceiving urself..
Re: 7 Reasons Why Christians Should Stop Taking Alcohol by mariovito(m): 10:05am On Jan 12, 2020
The OP sweepingly makes a statement for Christians not to drink alcohol, whereas one of the uses for tithe is alcohol if it's what I desire.
The passage u quoted doesn't distinguish between anointed and non-anointer. Thank you.

Pedrotina11:

Nobody is saying taking strong wine would take u to hell...drink less of it for the sake of ur kidneys, Dnt be a habitual drinker..

Then for those that are anioted of the lord or seeks the anioting of the lord for one purpose or the other its very clear stay away from strong drink...this is a simple sturv.
Re: 7 Reasons Why Christians Should Stop Taking Alcohol by Pedrotina11: 10:06am On Jan 12, 2020
uvie66:
Nonsense talk moderate drinking does not harm you, Google it.

Drinking habitually increases ur chances of having kidney failure whether u drink moderately or not as long as u drink daily ur chances of having renal failure is high... Dats all...please continue drinking have said it all.
Re: 7 Reasons Why Christians Should Stop Taking Alcohol by Nobody: 10:07am On Jan 12, 2020
Gforce2015:

Galatians 5:21
[21]Envyings, murders, DRUNKENNESS, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things SHALL NOT INHERIT THE KINGDOM OF GOD

Even though you didn't accept all the points listed but pls read the above scripture.
Wisdom is profitable to instruct. You have the bible in front of you yet you're blinded to what it says.
You highlighted drunkeness which is good, again I put it to you, when did alcohol intake equate to drunkenness?
I have taken communion in a Papal mass at the Vatican, believe me, the wine is alcoholic
Now I need you to convince me that the Pope and Catholic church, the very harbinger of 21st century christianity have got this wrong.
Re: 7 Reasons Why Christians Should Stop Taking Alcohol by Pedrotina11: 10:08am On Jan 12, 2020
mariovito:
The OP sweepingly makes a statement for Christians not to drink alcohol, whereas one of the uses for tithe is alcohol if it's what I desire.
The passage u quoted doesn't distinguish between anointed and non-anointer. Thank you.

OK...drink on.
Re: 7 Reasons Why Christians Should Stop Taking Alcohol by Pedrotina11: 10:09am On Jan 12, 2020
quaintbloke:

Wisdom is profitable to instruct. You have the bible in front of you yet you're blinded to what it says.
You highlighted drunkeness which is good, again I put it to you, when did alcohol intake equate to drunkenness?
I have taken communion in a Papal mass at the Vatican, believe me, the wine is alcoholic
Now I need you to convince me that the Pope and Catholic church, the very harbinger of 21st century christianity have got this wrong.

This is a simple sumtin nah....nobody is equating alcohol to drunkenness..
Re: 7 Reasons Why Christians Should Stop Taking Alcohol by Nobody: 10:09am On Jan 12, 2020
DownChelsea:
everything was wrong. Christians should not stop alcohol intake. Instead it should have been “Christians MUST flee from drunkenness”.

Besides his writeup was as if “drinking” is sinful.

Of course, there is nothing wrong with taking alcohol.

The OP is just another budding extremist. I fear in the future, more Joseph Kones will arise from amongst people like the author of this trash.

Imagine the part where he erroneously stated that in Paul's days there were no medications or drugs?

Such utter ignorance. I felt ill right after reading the first paragraph of that crap.

1 Like

Re: 7 Reasons Why Christians Should Stop Taking Alcohol by EgusiShankly: 10:10am On Jan 12, 2020
• Even Jesus Turned Water To Wine

Jesus to proved to them that He had the
ability to supply them with what we needed.
You will discover that Jesus never commanded us
to keep drinking alcohol after he had turned water
to wine.

This is contradictory..
Jesus won't perform miracles that would make you drift further apart from him(sin).

Wine can get you drunk. So, there is no point drinking it excessively..

This is what you should preach ; moderation
Re: 7 Reasons Why Christians Should Stop Taking Alcohol by Pedrotina11: 10:10am On Jan 12, 2020
LargeBreed:
Your points are nonsense. Moderate alcohol drinking is good. It is only bad when you abuse it, just like it's bad when we abuse other things.

Wat do u consider as moderate drinking If I may ask.
Re: 7 Reasons Why Christians Should Stop Taking Alcohol by Btruth: 10:11am On Jan 12, 2020
Pedrotina11:

Drinking kills ur kidney whether u get drunk or not...u wld say I no a man that drinks and he lived up till 90 years...knw something nw..the world currently is polluted frm the air to the food we eat, the kidney is responsible for taking care of this toxins from the food to the water we drink and nw ur stressing it by the alcohol u take, telling me I Dnt get drunk....u r a fool. Whether u get drunk or not ur kidney wld suffer the consequence.. Go the the hospital and see people on queue for kidney transplant.. U joke with ur health..
Oga wetin be your own? 'if you want to drink, drink. And if you don't want to stop been hypocritical. Alcohol has been in existence before the map of Nigeria was created.

Haba!

1 Like

Re: 7 Reasons Why Christians Should Stop Taking Alcohol by Pedrotina11: 10:12am On Jan 12, 2020
Everybody has their gauge before getting drunk...u drink 8 bottles and ur eyes are still awake and u say it is moderate drinking nah cos am nt yet drunk...8 bottles daliy and it is moderate drinking and u say ur kidney won't be affected....even 2 bottles daliy wld affect ur kidneys..
Re: 7 Reasons Why Christians Should Stop Taking Alcohol by Pedrotina11: 10:16am On Jan 12, 2020
Btruth:
Oga wetin be your own? 'if you want to drink, drink. And if you don't want to stop been hypocritical. Alcohol has been in existence before the map of Nigeria was created.

Haba!

Lol...hahaha see dis onuku...who is been hypocritical I drink alcohol but I can count hw often I take it in a year.. In a year its not up to seven and not more than two bottles that is if its alcohol, any other liquor I handle it well cos I knw hw I take it..all to just b health conscious.
Re: 7 Reasons Why Christians Should Stop Taking Alcohol by ZaOzaRoom(m): 10:18am On Jan 12, 2020
You people are funny.

Drink responsibly and don't ever get drunk.

I drink like one bottle of hero in two weeks.

That's drinking responsibly and I'm more Christian than you will ever be.

3 Likes

Re: 7 Reasons Why Christians Should Stop Taking Alcohol by Nobody: 10:20am On Jan 12, 2020
quaintbloke:

For the fact that someone is a pope , bishop or pastor doesn't mean I shld follow what he or she does. I don't read pope , I read bible.
I used to be a drunkard when I was in the world, I discovered that I can not be a drunkard at the same time preach to people who still drink themselves to stupor. So I have quited.
Do you think pope or bishop who drinks alcohol will be happen if some of the wine producing companies capture his drinking moment and use it for an advertisement on national or international TV
Re: 7 Reasons Why Christians Should Stop Taking Alcohol by AreaFada2: 10:24am On Jan 12, 2020
Na this kind OP go be Commander-In-Chief of Shayo. grin

Drinking does not mean being a drunkard. This is the misconception. Alcohol can be medication. Used since thousands of years. Even for making herbal tincture in native medicine and homeopathy.

Paul told Timothy to take a little wine for his stomach issues in the Bible. 1 Tim: 5:23.

Some people eat too much akpu, rice, eba. Etc. The Bible abhors gluttony alongside drunkenness. Proverbs 23:20-21. Should we all therefore stop eating? shocked
Re: 7 Reasons Why Christians Should Stop Taking Alcohol by DownChelsea(f): 10:24am On Jan 12, 2020
Gforce2015:

For the fact that someone is a pope , bishop or pastor doesn't mean I shld follow what he or she does. I don't read pope , I read bible.
I used to be a drunkard when I was in the world, I discovered that I can not be a drunkard at the same time preach to people who still drink themselves to stupor. So I have quited.
Do you think pope or bishop who drinks alcohol will be happen if some of the wine producing companies capture his drinking moment and use it for an advertisement on national or international TV
he is trying to tell you that the pope is not a drunkard but still drinks. As Jesus would
Re: 7 Reasons Why Christians Should Stop Taking Alcohol by Chithauri(m): 10:25am On Jan 12, 2020
Tenses:
Mama chichi give me one chilled HERO dia make I use reason life...
lmao
Re: 7 Reasons Why Christians Should Stop Taking Alcohol by eteba(m): 10:25am On Jan 12, 2020
with 2 bottles of 33 lager, you can effectively high small moderate morale!
Re: 7 Reasons Why Christians Should Stop Taking Alcohol by GermanMelania: 10:26am On Jan 12, 2020
I like this thread and agree. You go see all the drunks and fornicators and adulterers fight you on this kain topic bur come de holy for the ones wey no consign them. Stop drinking. It is bad for you. Or drink sef. E no kuku consign me
Re: 7 Reasons Why Christians Should Stop Taking Alcohol by mariovito(m): 10:26am On Jan 12, 2020
Thank you
Fyi, I have been dry and sober for 4 years now. No religious reasons.
I believe people should be free to make their choices and not cajoled and blackmailed to live according to the moral standards of others. That's what most Christians do, they try to foist their moral perspectives on others and make it seem like it's bible sanctioned.

[Qquote author=Pedrotina11 post=85725935]

OK...drink on.[/quote]
Re: 7 Reasons Why Christians Should Stop Taking Alcohol by DownChelsea(f): 10:27am On Jan 12, 2020
Pedrotina11:

Kip deceiving urself...do ur research properly drinking habitually increases ur chances of having kidney issues..whether u drink moderately or not as long as u drink daliy ur chances of having renal failure is high...am telling u facts not hearsay...do ur research and stop deceiving urself..
please go and read. You don’t read. Do your research on moderate alcohol consumption. Nothing healthier
Re: 7 Reasons Why Christians Should Stop Taking Alcohol by mariovito(m): 10:27am On Jan 12, 2020
Thank you
Fyi, I have been dry and sober for 4 years now. No religious reasons.
I believe people should be free to make their choices and not cajoled and blackmailed to live according to the moral standards of others. That's what most Christians do, they try to foist their moral perspectives on others and make it seem like it's bible sanctioned.

Pedrotina11:

OK...drink on.
Re: 7 Reasons Why Christians Should Stop Taking Alcohol by jjmk(m): 10:28am On Jan 12, 2020
quaintbloke:
Nigerian writers have a funny way of making blanket statements to suit their writing style, at the end of the day, the write up turns out illogical.
How the writer has conveniently equated alcohol intake to being drink still bemuses me.
Its more like saying people shouldn't take salt because in excess, it causes hypertension , shouldn't take sugar cos in excess, it can cause diabetes or shouldnt make money because it's the root of all evil.
How logical.
Here is a thinking man. Thank you for this.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 7 Reasons Why Christians Should Stop Taking Alcohol by DownChelsea(f): 10:29am On Jan 12, 2020
virago:

Wait you seem to be confusing

Wrong and right
legal and illegal
Sin and not a sin

There's a difference in all 3 and can not be used interchangeably , so while something may be legal it doesn't mean it is not a sin ( please try to understand this ).
exactly. Drinking is the issue. It is neither illegal nor sinful. And that is what the Op and other myopic fellas have refused to understand
Re: 7 Reasons Why Christians Should Stop Taking Alcohol by Nobody: 10:29am On Jan 12, 2020
Gforce2015:

Boss I think you are conveniently leaving the meat of the matter.
Alcohol intake never equates to being drunk.

I appreciate that you have become sober from your past, but I'd rather you channel this zest into working to reform alcoholics and addicts rather than misrepresent the bible cos you would be a role model to them, same way Paul was able to effectively evangelise after his transformation from Saul.
Even Paul said to Timothy (1 Tim 5:23) to "take a little wine for your stomach",there are safe alcohol limits which we prescribe for those who must drink.
We can debate the bible but I wouldn't be one to get involved in such debate cos Paul again to Timothy (2 Tim 2:23) also noted that we shouldnt get involved in pointless arguments of this kind for it leads to nowhere.
Bless.
X

1 Like

Re: 7 Reasons Why Christians Should Stop Taking Alcohol by demoBaba: 10:32am On Jan 12, 2020
Pedrotina11:

Drinking habitually increases ur chances of having kidney failure whether u drink moderately or not as long as u drink daily ur chances of having renal failure is high... Dats all...please continue drinking have said it all.

Something must kill a man, one of my uncle haven't taste alcohol since he was born, but gone due to kidney problem.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 7 Reasons Why Christians Should Stop Taking Alcohol by Ewedegubbler: 10:34am On Jan 12, 2020
I stopped taking alcohol simply because I dont like it that much and I am no longer a baller... other than that to hell with your religious mumbo jumbo...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Hajj Stampede: “he Stoned Them Back To Death” – Nigerian Transgender Blames God / How The Jehovah’s Witnesses Are Better Christians Than The Rest Of Us / Who Is Your Favorite Bible Character And Why?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.