Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,101 members, 7,818,291 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:05 PM

Historicity Of The Bible And Justification Of Christian Faith - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Historicity Of The Bible And Justification Of Christian Faith (14866 Views)

There Is No Heaven & Hell - Pastor Abosom As He Abandons His Christian Faith / Mike Bamiloye: Witchcraft Made Me Go Into Production Of Christian Movies / The Significance Of Ash Wednesday in the Christian faith (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Historicity Of The Bible And Justification Of Christian Faith by Nobody: 8:24pm On Feb 17, 2020
FOLYKAZE:

I have read both magazines.

No Sir, these two aren't magazines but books having over hundred pages! smiley
Re: Historicity Of The Bible And Justification Of Christian Faith by Nobody: 8:27pm On Feb 17, 2020
LordReed:

Go and ask them they will help you.

But they don't have any idea of what's wrong with me like you!

Moreover you've been my friend for quite some time now chatting with me, so why can't you who knows the ailment and the medicine that's best for it assist me?

At least you should be useful for once! smiley
Re: Historicity Of The Bible And Justification Of Christian Faith by LordReed(m): 8:54pm On Feb 17, 2020
Maximus69:

But they don't have any idea of what's wrong with me like you!

Moreover you've been my friend for quite some time now chatting with me, so why can't you who knows the ailment and the medicine that's best for it assist me?

At least you should be useful for once! smiley

They are not magicians, you need to be there to be diagnosed and then treated. Go there you need it.

2 Likes

Re: Historicity Of The Bible And Justification Of Christian Faith by Nobody: 9:13pm On Feb 17, 2020
LordReed:

They are not magicians, you need to be there to be diagnosed and then treated. Go there you need it.

But you're the one who DIAGNOSED through some remote control to be certain of the ailment! embarassed

You should know better than those to whom i must go before they could find something in me! embarassed
Re: Historicity Of The Bible And Justification Of Christian Faith by LordReed(m): 9:51pm On Feb 17, 2020
Maximus69:

But you're the one who DIAGNOSED through some remote control to be certain of the ailment! embarassed

You should know better than those to whom i must go before they could find something in me! embarassed

I didn't diagnose you, I said you needed help. Learn to read and understand.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Historicity Of The Bible And Justification Of Christian Faith by Finallydead: 10:24pm On Feb 17, 2020
FOLYKAZE:

I like that you didn't challenge logic when it worshipped God and betrayed you in math(as it will do in all fields of knowledge) but simply ignored it. Says a lot.
When you are able to use your logic to make the number infinity conform to finite math principles, It will justify your search for a logical basis for our infinite faith. Till then, you're only hypocritical to ask any believer to explain faith to fit logic and so you now see why I won't tow that line with you and will probably cease to reply you henceforth.
This is apt and precise. As a matter of fact, the curious OP only want to know the basis of christian faith. And like you said, the believers are not in about evidence, not because there is a reliable and dependable evidences, but because faith requires no logical or empirical evidences. In your own thinking, believers should accept every dogma without questioning or seeking validation. I wish MuttleyLaff, Maximus69 and emilo2stay can agree with you.
Take note that I never claimed to not care for evidence. In fact, I care much about evidence, spiritual and physical, aware of spiritual being the greater. But a billion physical evidences, useful as they may be, are totally unnecessary to validate my faith but could only add to my mental knowledge, which has its use and if all physical evidence is thoroughly and truthfully investigated, it will most definitely agree to and confirm the belief furnished by faith.
Faith, however, is a spiritual(not psychological) REALITY and not subjective, hence needing no physical or logical support. Can I shock you? I don't need the scriptures nor any human agent to have faith. The best these could do is to explain and define with extra details the composition of my faith to me(after I already have this faith) as those who had this same faith before me.
No! my faith is not based on scripture but on its own self, just as a tree we see is not existing based on scientific research done on it but the scientific research may only explain the composition of the tree. It is its own proof of existence. A man with a reality and experience will never be at the mercy of a man with an argument. I just need faith itself, which is a gift of God Himself, to manifest in my heart and I would know without a doubt that my sins are forgiven. It is its own evidence, as well superior to all natural evidence. If only you had it, you would attest to its reality, though not physical, yet undeniably real and always causing real effects in the physical but alas!
As for our spiritual dogma, we establish them on faith's principles, not human reasoning, which is of a different dimension.
To further expatiate, let me clarify. You like most others errorneosly think that faith is simply believing in a belief system, usually concerning the spiritual. That would be true for every religion in the world.
But the gospel of Christ is not about mere believing some spiritual propositions. It is about faith of a different genre. A spiritual reality that must be tangibly related with by the recipient yet spiritually rather than physically. Whoever believes the whole scripture but has not this faith(e.g. Jews and children brought up in church) is still in their sins and condemnation but whoever has this faith even if never having a bible or knowing what's in it(like some in the world today or even Abraham and some patriarchs) is justified before God.
Faith is its own evidence. Scripture helps us with facts ready at hand that we may have needed to research all over again to explain the composition of our faith but faith is its own basis.
2. The general consensus of most scholars is that the synoptic gospel were copied from Gospel of Mark...
3. The book of John was not written by Apostle John....John 21:24 didn't give identity of the said disciple...
4. The gospel of Luke, like you said is written by Luke the evangelist. Luke 1:1-2 mentions that Luke knows of other written sources of Jesus' life, and that he has investigated in order to gather the most information. The author indicated that he from witness accounts...
5. Gospel of Matthew could not have been written by....
The gospel is largely subjective works of people who ain't direct witness. It is evident that the gospels are largely copies of copies of oral traditions and full of propaganda
If you wish to believe so then. Like I said, as far as regards faith and the gospel, a man with a reality and experience will never be at the mercy of a man with an argument. And as regards the scriptures above, I'm not going into a needless argument on them. You've put out your 'findings' and I've put out my facts. Its left for every reader to investigate both and take their position.
To clarify Luke1:1-3 for the genuine inquirers. Luke 1:1-3 must be taken in two parts. v1-2 separate from v3. In v1-2, Luke is saying many had written narratives as had been taught to the whole church by the eyewitnesses from the start, so some important material may have been lost in transit(these second hand narratives were not included in the bible) . In v3, however, he is saying, he has a more privileged position than such to give a narrative because he had firsthand, exact(in the greek) and circumspect knowledge of the matter from the very beginning as other eyewitnesses(which he proved in his being the most detailed) , hence felt the need to write to recover some relevant missing pieces.
The doubt is in 1 Cor 15:3,14,17. Can you deal with those verses please? And by doing that, please keep your emotion asides.
No. I will not condescend to that. If you are a graduate, you definitely know how to read compositions and not isolating sentences from paragraphs to lie to yourself. Every reader just needs to read the whole each text you mentioned in 1Cor15, IN THEIR CONTEXT, to see your blatant, desperate lies. Thank God Paul never even put chapters or verses.
Keep the emotion aside, and take a deep breathe. Most importantly, save the sermon for your sheeple who accept fantasy without seeking for logical and empirical evidence. Thanks.
The healthy dont need a doctor but the sick. Remeber, as I said before, I'm for evidence. And your own empirical evidence(life experience) must have proven to you that you will still sin against your conscience, reasoning and God's laws except of course you no longer value your own empirical evidence. So the scripture is proven right, that you need God the Saviour.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Historicity Of The Bible And Justification Of Christian Faith by FOLYKAZE(m): 10:41pm On Feb 18, 2020
Finallydead:

I like that you didn't challenge logic when it worshipped God and betrayed you in math(as it will do in all fields of knowledge) but simply ignored it. Says a lot.
When you are able to use your logic to make the number infinity conform to finite math principles, It will justify your search for a logical basis for our infinite faith. Till then, you're only hypocritical to ask any believer to explain faith to fit logic and so you now see why I won't tow that line with you and will probably cease to reply you henceforth.

Common bro, you should be smarter than this. The logic evidences supporting God existence and putting God in the box have nothing to do with the current discussion. Take another look at the topic and the OP contents, the word 'God' wasn't mentioned. It is needless, stressing myself on issues not related with the discourse.
In case I need to remind you, the thread is more of fact-findings on the historicity of the Bible account, and justification of christian faith.

Finallydead:

Take note that I never claimed to not care for evidence. In fact, I care much about evidence, spiritual and physical, aware of spiritual being the greater. But a billion physical evidences, useful as they may be, can add nothing to my faith, it could only add to my mental knowledge, which has its use.

Are we not saying the same thing? Evidence does not define your faith; and with faith you require no evidences. What matter to you is total acceptance, not verification or ascertaining truth. 1 Thes 5:21 isnt for you.....

Finallydead:

To clarify Luke1:1-3 for the genuine inquirers. Luke 1:1-3 must be taken in two parts. v1-2 separate from v3. In v1-2, Luke is saying many had written narratives as had been taught to the whole church by the eyewitnesses from the start, so some important material may have been lost in transit(these second hand narratives were not included in the bible) . In v3, however, he is saying, he has a more privileged position than such to give a narrative because he had firsthand, exact(in the greek) and circumspect knowledge of the matter from the very beginning as other eyewitnesses(which he proved in his being the most detailed) , hence felt the need to write to recover some relevant missing pieces.

There is no element of truth in your post above. All you did is twist and distortion.

Quoting from King Jame Version, and New America Standard Bible simultaneously; the writer admitted he is compiling account of the so called eyewitness and first sources he didn't personally know. The gospel of Luke is entirely a secondary account which is not tenable as fact.

KJV
Luke 1:1 Forasmuch as many have taken in hand to set forth in order a declaration of those things which are most surely believed among us,
1:2 Even as they delivered them unto us, which from the beginning were eyewitnesses, and ministers of the word;
1:3 It seemed good to me also, having had perfect understanding of all things from the very first, to write unto thee in order, most excellent Theophilus,

NASB
Luke 1.1 Inasmuch as many have undertaken to compile an account of the things accomplished among us,
1.2 just as they were handed down to us by those who from the beginning were eyewitnesss and servants of the word,
1.3 it seemed fitting for me as well, having investigated everything carefully from the beginning, to write it out for you in consecutive order, most excellent, Theophilous;

Luke the evangelist is saying
i. After the killing of Apostle Paul by Nero, many of the 70 disciples took it upon themselves to compile account of all things they, according to kjv, believe.

ii. The believe system is rooted on information passed either through oral sources and piece of writings.

iii. Luke admitted there is a first source of his information. The sources are L source and gospel of Mark.

iv. Largely, information which are from secondary source are fiction. Luke the evangelist is not an eye to the incident he wrote. He relied on other sources, and as source his own account isn't reliable.

v. Luke is the disciple of Paul. Paul declared in 1 cor 15:3 that his source is the scripture. Paul also relied on information passed to him. He isn't a eye witness to the incident.

Finallydead:

No. I will not condescend to that. If you are a graduate, you must know how to read compositions and not isolating sentences from paragraphs to lie to yourself. Every reader just needs to read the whole composition of 1Cor15 to see your blatant, shameless lies. Thank God Paul never even put chapters or verses.

Just a post above, we talked about Luke 1:1-2 without me asking if you are a professor because you did not address the whole composition in Luke 1. But as a hypocrite and a nitwit you really are, you are demanding I read the whole 1 cor 15 when the core matter is 1 cor 15:3,14, 17.

Finallydead:

The healthy dont need a doctor but the sick. Remeber, as I said before, I'm for evidence. And your own empirical evidence must have proven to you that you will still sin against your conscience, reasoning and God's laws except of course you no longer value your own empirical evidence. So the scripture is proven right, that you need God the Saviour.

My own empirical evidences? What are you saying?
Re: Historicity Of The Bible And Justification Of Christian Faith by FOLYKAZE(m): 10:48pm On Feb 18, 2020
EMILO2STAY:
folks like you reject the bible and christ only to subscribe to the theories of big bang and evolution. I can give you archeological evidence. But can you also give me eye witness account of the big band? Or even a tangible evidence of evolution and big bang if not for theories.
If you call it fables, then what about the big bang theory said to happen 14billion years ago? I noticed you are avoiding that question.

When did I tell you or mentioned on this forum that I subscribe to the theories of big bang and evolution?
Re: Historicity Of The Bible And Justification Of Christian Faith by Nobody: 7:08am On Feb 19, 2020
LordReed:

I didn't diagnose you, I said you needed help. Learn to read and understand.

Someone who could sense that another need help should be in the best position to say what type of help! wink

1 Like

Re: Historicity Of The Bible And Justification Of Christian Faith by EMILO2STAY(m): 7:41am On Feb 19, 2020
FOLYKAZE:

When did I tell you or mentioned on this forum that I subscribe to the theories of big bang and evolution?
your words here shows you lean towards that angle. There is no middle ground bro. You are either here or there.
Re: Historicity Of The Bible And Justification Of Christian Faith by Nobody: 7:54am On Feb 19, 2020
FOLYKAZE:

Have you gotten the books?

Just welcome Jehovah's Witnesses and ask for those books, you can make voluntary contributions for the printing but if you can't do that don't bother God's organization only want you to show appreciation for the books by studying them to know more about our Master, Lord and King "Jesus Christ"

God bless you! smiley
Re: Historicity Of The Bible And Justification Of Christian Faith by LordReed(m): 8:46am On Feb 19, 2020
Maximus69:

Someone who could sense that another need help should be in the best position to say what type of help! wink

I told you what type of help you need, that is not a diagnosis.
Re: Historicity Of The Bible And Justification Of Christian Faith by Nobody: 9:04am On Feb 19, 2020
LordReed:

I told you what type of help you need, that is not a diagnosis.

One who is fond of accumulating information for no practical benefits and one who selects what type of info is useful for benefits surely need not continue arguing fruitlessly! wink
Re: Historicity Of The Bible And Justification Of Christian Faith by LordReed(m): 9:38am On Feb 19, 2020
Maximus69:

One who is fond of accumulating information for no practical benefits and one who selects what type of info is useful for benefits surely need not continue arguing fruitlessly! wink

Whatever helps you bro.
Re: Historicity Of The Bible And Justification Of Christian Faith by FOLYKAZE(m): 11:05am On Feb 19, 2020
Maximus69:

Have you gotten the books?

Just welcome Jehovah's Witnesses and ask for those books, you can make voluntary contributions for the printing but if you can't do that don't bother God's organization only want you to show appreciation for the books by studying them to know more about our Master, Lord and King "Jesus Christ"

God bless you! smiley

Seriously I have read those books some years back. But will get new copies soonest. Will surely call your attention when I get them
Re: Historicity Of The Bible And Justification Of Christian Faith by FOLYKAZE(m): 11:12am On Feb 19, 2020
EMILO2STAY:
your words here shows you lean towards that angle. There is no middle ground bro. You are either here or there.

There can be middle ground my friend. There are always unanswered questions, and a burning heart that pop up queries. Religion and science both tried to answer the questions, but none can give it all.

Maximus69, I could have become JW member many years back. I was with them in 2007,worshipped and studied in the kingdom hall for four years. Unfortunately I didn't partook in baptism cause I had doubts, and unnecessary fear. My mind prop out loads of questions every seconds. Maybe the doubt can be totally erased, I don't know. Science isn't promising to answer all either. But until the doubt can be removed, I am the middle grounded guy.... Spiritual atheist should do now
Re: Historicity Of The Bible And Justification Of Christian Faith by FOLYKAZE(m): 6:44pm On Mar 01, 2020
@Maximus69 , I have been unable to get those two books you required I get from jw members. I have met with couple of them but it seem they don't have it available. One promised to get it on request from Benin but not hearing from him again. Is there no soft copy or pdf of the said books?
Re: Historicity Of The Bible And Justification Of Christian Faith by Nobody: 7:10am On Mar 02, 2020
FOLYKAZE:
@Maximus69 , I have been unable to get those two books you required I get from jw members. I have met with couple of them but it seem they don't have it available. One promised to get it on request from Benin but not hearing from him again. Is there no soft copy or pdf of the said books?

Please go to Google play store download {JW Library} then click on the the icon at the top left, you'll see list of options, click on publications, then click on books. You find them there, you can download as many as possible it's free what you just need is data to access it!

Re: Historicity Of The Bible And Justification Of Christian Faith by budaatum: 2:15pm On Mar 02, 2020
Maximus69:

You need two more books to read, then i'm sure you'll be able to answer the question yourself and even help others to know more as to what we believe about Jesus of Nazareth!

(1) The greatest man who ever lived!

(2) Jesus the way the truth the life!
Re: Historicity Of The Bible And Justification Of Christian Faith by budaatum: 3:09pm On Mar 02, 2020
FOLYKAZE:

What did he meant when he said 'none has ascended to heaven except he.
It is meant that none had acquired the understanding of the things that are Godly and that come from developing the mind which is in your heavenly head.

FOLYKAZE:
But history wasn't on his side as no one record his ascension when the gospel claim many people witnessed it. How come there is no witness account of the ascension
You can not be asking why someone was not recording Jesus' ascension on iPhone shocked
Re: Historicity Of The Bible And Justification Of Christian Faith by FOLYKAZE(m): 9:34am On Mar 07, 2020
budaatum:

It is meant that none had acquired the understanding of the things that are Godly and that come from developing the mind which is in your heavenly head.

Really? I like this new twist. Does this mean Jesus didn't ascend to Heaven; there was no real ascension and any witness of such is allegorical?

MuttleyLaff and EMILO2STAY, guys say hallelujah.

budaatum:
You can not be asking why someone was not recording Jesus' ascension on iPhone shocked

The bible said there were witness numbering to about 550. It is bizarre that not of these half a thousand could pen this incident. Much of the stories about the ascension are not plausible when especially none of the writer witnessed it.

Adding, you said it didn't happen literally. Maybe we can both assume the whole bible is allegory, and not historical incidence.
Re: Historicity Of The Bible And Justification Of Christian Faith by FOLYKAZE(m): 9:52am On Mar 07, 2020
Maximus69:

Please go to Google play store download {JW Library} then click on the the icon at the top left, you'll see list of options, click on publications, then click on books. You find them there, you can download as many as possible it's free what you just need is data to access it!

Max, I got a copy of Jesus the way truth and the light about four days ago. But really, I wasted more than 16hrs scrambling for the historicity of Jesus life and much of his miracles but I can't find any. The book, more like Book of my Bible stories, is written for kids. I don't know why you asked me to get it cause it doesn't address the issue on this thread.

Aside from not addressing the historicity, there are loads of misinformation about the authors of the gospels, no out of the bible sources for keypoints, and lacks historical references.

For one, none of the authors who wrote the for gospels witnessed or saw Jesus in his time.

There is no historical references of when Herod ordered the wholesale massacre of young male children. Also Ceasar Augustus didn't start registration of new babies in Jesus time.

The only historical reference mentioned is Tatian who wrote about Jesus in 170CE, about 140yrs after Jesus death. How can one hold such work written over a century and half as primary source data? What happened to historians in Jesus lifetime? Is it that they don't know anything about him or he didn't exist as been told today?

In short, why do you reference these books? What are the points you want to make from them
Re: Historicity Of The Bible And Justification Of Christian Faith by LordReed(m): 10:50am On Mar 07, 2020
I must confess FOLYKAZE you have treated this subject with much incisive punch. I was never happier to have my misconceptions dispelled. And not because I agree with what you've written but because that effort you put into it shows.

Kudos.

1 Like

Re: Historicity Of The Bible And Justification Of Christian Faith by Nobody: 1:29pm On Mar 07, 2020
FOLYKAZE:

Max, I got a copy of Jesus the way truth and the light about four days ago. But really, I wasted more than 16hrs scrambling for the historicity of Jesus life and much of his miracles but I can't find any. The book, more like Book of my Bible stories, is written for kids. I don't know why you asked me to get it cause it doesn't address the issue on this thread.
Aside from not addressing the historicity, there are loads of misinformation about the authors of the gospels, no out of the bible sources for keypoints, and lacks historical references.
For one, none of the authors who wrote the for gospels witnessed or saw Jesus in his time.
There is no historical references of when Herod ordered the wholesale massacre of young male children. Also Ceasar Augustus didn't start registration of new babies in Jesus time.
The only historical reference mentioned is Tatian who wrote about Jesus in 170CE, about 140yrs after Jesus death. How can one hold such work written over a century and half as primary source data? What happened to historians in Jesus lifetime? Is it that they don't know anything about him or he didn't exist as been told today?
In short, why do you reference these books? What are the points you want to make from them

The Bible itself have provided enough reason why secular history from Jesus' contemporaries can't be found.
It's either you carefully read, diligently study and thoroughly meditate on what was written before and after those gospel accounts that you can see the correlation you desire!

The Jewish religious leaders of his time made sure that he was
accused,
arrested,
detained,
tried,
judged,
sentenced and
executed
all on false charges, they made it seem as if he was a criminal that should be totally forgotten, they don't want his historicity to go beyond his days so they ordered (with threat) his followers to stop talking to people about him! Act 5:28

This are the then renoun religious leaders RECOGNIZED by their colonial masters (Rome), and 33 years after his death Jerusalem and it's temple was totally destroyed by the Romans so that any other secular history about his time was totally burnt to ashes apart from the ones taken into exile by his faithful followers!

So how do you expect to get any info about Jesus of Nazareth from his contemporaries apart from what was penned down by his own followers?

For your information Sir, two of the gospel writers (Matthew and John) were his closest confidants called Apostles {Matthew 10:2-4} while Luke and Mark are part of his numerous followers who also lived as his contemporaries.

Jehovah's Witnesses wrote everything in those books based on the reports found in the Bible, God's word said out of the mouth of TWO or THREE Witnesses should anything be taken as fact and since there were FOUR different individuals who bore Witness to his historicity, true believers have no reason to doubt their records! Deuteronomy 17:6

His historicity has been made more intense in the hearts of true believers globally when all what was written as prophecies foretold by Jesus is happening in our own eyes today!
He foretold so many things though most of what he predicted could be taken as COINCIDENTAL, but one can't go unnoticed by sincere and honest hearted intellectuals!

Jesus foretold a time when the world will be divided by politics and racism! And today many ethnic groups are clamoring for new states regional and local government of their own all based on RACISM!

Jesus also foretold that during that same time his own followers will be tearing away from those whose hearts and minds are been driven by Politics and Racism, and they will form one big and happy global family of peace loving worshipers! Jehovah's Witnesses is an indisputable evidence of this today!

So that's enough for faithful and true believers {John 4:42} whether other contemporaries of Jesus apart from his followers wrote anything for or against him, what we've heard, seen and felt in the midst of his true followers (Jehovah's Witnesses) today has vindicated the Bible as authentic and TRUE!

Thank you Sir! smiley
Re: Historicity Of The Bible And Justification Of Christian Faith by budaatum: 8:45pm On Mar 07, 2020
FOLYKAZE:

Really? I like this new twist. Does this mean Jesus didn't ascend to Heaven; there was no real ascension and any witness of such is allegorical?
That is my own understanding, that Jesus didn't literally ascend to Heaven, but that he is in. Heaven because words we read about him being where most commonly refer to as heaven.

It's like saying Jesus', and everything else written in a book, is to teach how to live a productive life and is to be used as an example or lesson or reason for living it (depending what you read, for some bits show how not to live, and time has significantly passed just as what is required to live today has also evolved). But you need to understand how tp read first, which seems to be beyond most.
Re: Historicity Of The Bible And Justification Of Christian Faith by orisa37: 7:19am On Mar 08, 2020
Imagine your Parents, how they come together to agree to give Birth to you. And give Glory to Whatever and Whoever made it possible. Such is History, Concepts and Life.
Re: Historicity Of The Bible And Justification Of Christian Faith by FOLYKAZE(m): 1:36pm On Mar 08, 2020
Maximus69:

The Bible itself have provided enough reason why secular history from Jesus' contemporaries can't be found.
It's either you carefully read, diligently study and thoroughly meditate on what was written before and after those gospel accounts that you can see the correlation you desire!

The Jewish religious leaders of his time made sure that he was
accused,
arrested,
detained,
tried,
judged,
sentenced and
executed
all on false charges, they made it seem as if he was a criminal that should be totally forgotten, they don't want his historicity to go beyond his days so they ordered (with threat) his followers to stop talking to people about him! Act 5:28

This are the then renoun religious leaders RECOGNIZED by their colonial masters (Rome), and 33 years after his death Jerusalem and it's temple was totally destroyed by the Romans so that any other secular history about his time was totally burnt to ashes apart from the ones taken into exile by his faithful followers!

So how do you expect to get any info about Jesus of Nazareth from his contemporaries apart from what was penned down by his own followers?

Fact is, the bible is not written to provide historical information. It is designed to propagate theology and understanding of divinity of Israelis, however, this account is founded on fiction. Nothing is wrong with fiction, it is universal, and shouldn't be mixed with reality. Budaatum, MrPresident and Buzugee admitted the accounts ain't literal incidences. Many churches admitted incidents in Garden of Eden are not literal. It is you, Mr Max and many Christians out there who want to straighten this fictional accounts with historic realities, and in si doing, history is bend and heavily distorted.

A quick look at the account you gave up there, any student of history would understand the account is a reconstruction and revision course which had truth bended and misdirected.

For one, the face-off between Jew and Roman predate Jesus. The Jew wanted a national identity, culture and belief in their own independent state; Romans want political, economical and social dominance. So you see sir, the rancour is based on political differences, and has nothing to do with Christianity.

History accounted that Herod is known as the king of the Jew, a declaration which is provocative to the Jew.

History accounted that Pontious Pilate, the premier of Judea, forcefully put the image of Emperor in the temple, another form of provocation.

History accounted that Gessius Florus seized the funds from the sacred temple treasury, an action that made Jew provoked.

History recorded that some Jewish soldiers called Scirii attacked and killed roman garrison and declared independence.

And war broke out between the state of Rome and Jewish Rebels in 66CE that cost the destruction of the temple in 70CE by Titus.

Mr Max sir, looking at the account above, one would see that the rancour is between Jew and Rome. Christians only distorted this stories to affix Jesus into it. Something you are doing here.

The only historical information depicting persecution of Christians is Emperor Nero clampdown, a retaliation after the roman city was burned allegedly by Christians. The larger war that broke out which led to destruction of the temple has nothing to do with Jesus.

It is important we tell history as it is, without infusing any character into it. Provide the historicity of Jesus, proving he is historical figure and we kick. I would advise you submit historical records and facts from eye witness to buttress your point.

Maximus69:
For your information Sir, two of the gospel writers (Matthew and John) were his closest confidants called Apostles {Matthew 10:2-4} while Luke and Mark are part of his numerous followers who also lived as his contemporaries.

Jehovah's Witnesses wrote everything in those books based on the reports found in the Bible, God's word said out of the mouth of TWO or THREE Witnesses should anything be taken as fact and since there were FOUR different individuals who bore Witness to his historicity, true believers have no reason to doubt their records! Deuteronomy 17:6

Mr Max sir, I am glad you cited the Bible on what should constitute as FACT. The verse states that a evidence from two or three witnesses should be taken as fact. You have refused to prove any of the gospel authors is a witness of Jesus's life and his miracles.

We need a common ground on what a witness is, and what witness is tenable.

Firstly, witness is defined, in my own understanding, one who sees or have personal knowledge of an event. This knowledge can be attained through experience in real time. And only eye witness attestation is tenable, hearsay isn't acceptable.

The four gospel writers didn't see Jesus in real-time or bare witness to his activities in his lifetime.

1. Gospel of Mark is the first manuscript and the oldest, written by Mark the Evangelist in 68AD This person called Mark is the disciple of Apostle. His writings is fondly from secondary sources and not tenable.

2. The Gospel of Luke is written by Luke the evangelist, a disciple of Apostle Paul. He is also the author of Acts of Apostle. In Luke 1:1-3, he indicated that he compiled the accounts from the eye-witness, he isn't the eye witness. Findings shows he copied from the Gospel of Mark, Q and L sources.

3. Gospel of Matthew isn't written by Apostle Matthew. In fact, the book was written many years after Apostle Matthew had died. The author is likely Matthew the evangelist, one of the 70 disciples.

4. Gospel of John was written in 110AD, 80yrs after Jesus had purportedly died, by the unknown disciple Jesus loved. Infusing his own agenda, he spelt out Jesus commissioned 70 disciples instead of 12. And also put himself in Jesus life when other writers do not mention these.

I understand sir, that the church tradition is that the authors are apostle of Jesus 12 disciples. However, evidences have revealed that none of these authors are eye witness to Jesus life and activities. They all wrote majorly on hearsay, not witness, and as such their accounts are not acceptable as facts.

Maximus69:
His historicity has been made more intense in the hearts of true believers globally when all what was written as prophecies foretold by Jesus is happening in our own eyes today!
He foretold so many things though most of what he predicted could be taken as COINCIDENTAL, but one can't go unnoticed by sincere and honest hearted intellectuals!

Jesus foretold a time when the world will be divided by politics and racism! And today many ethnic groups are clamoring for new states regional and local government of their own all based on RACISM!

Jesus also foretold that during that same time his own followers will be tearing away from those whose hearts and minds are been driven by Politics and Racism, and they will form one big and happy global family of peace loving worshipers! Jehovah's Witnesses is an indisputable evidence of this today!

So that's enough for faithful and true believers {John 4:42} whether other contemporaries of Jesus apart from his followers wrote anything for or against him, what we've heard, seen and felt in the midst of his true followers (Jehovah's Witnesses) today has vindicated the Bible as authentic and TRUE!

Thank you Sir! smiley

Lol....

Political differences, war and racism is as old as man, and would be here ever. Politics, war and racism can be found among animals. So Jesus prophecy is nothing new. I think we should focus on the historicity rather than prophetic works which can easily be designed and assigned to anyone.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Historicity Of The Bible And Justification Of Christian Faith by FOLYKAZE(m): 1:41pm On Mar 08, 2020
budaatum:

That is my own understanding, that Jesus didn't literally ascend to Heaven, but that he is in. Heaven because words we read about him being where most commonly refer to as heaven.

It's like saying Jesus', and everything else written in a book, is to teach how to live a productive life and is to be used as an example or lesson or reason for living it (depending what you read, for some bits show how not to live, and time has significantly passed just as what is required to live today has also evolved). But you need to understand how tp read first, which seems to be beyond most.

I know of a guy called Buzugee who share same idea as above, that the bible accounts is majorly allegorical. I don't have issue with that.

But if I may ask, what is your thought on afterlife. Would there not be rapture and sojourn to heaven in the literal sense? Is everything in the bible allegory

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Historicity Of The Bible And Justification Of Christian Faith by FOLYKAZE(m): 4:20pm On Mar 08, 2020
LordReed:
I must confess FOLY you have treated this subject with much incisive punch. I was never happier to have my misconceptions dispelled. And not because I agree with what you've written but because that effort you put into it shows.

Kudos.

It's my pleasure Your highness Reed.

The discourse have exposes more than I had in mind. This week, I took time to read Bible narration on Israel exile, building of the second temple and the action of Cyrus toward their freedom and project. While unraveling the historicity of the account, a transcript of Cyrus cylinder, a clay cylinder text containing writings from Cyrus, shows that Cyrus had nothing to do with Jew or their development of the temple. The texts indicated that Cyrus only decree that Babylon God Marduk temple should be rebuilt. Historian revealed that Nebodial, the preceding king abandoned worshipping Marduk, and enforced Sin, the moon God from the Northern Babylon on the entire empire. Cyrus reversed this. However, the bible and the flocks of believers twisted and distorted the decree for their own purposes. Cyrus Cylinder invalidates everything written in the bible....

I took the issue to church and Pastor subtly jabbed me, warning that he won't tolerate such discussion in his church. Next sunday topic is about Exodus and Joshua ruling as a judge....my hard hit spot, he go hear am
Re: Historicity Of The Bible And Justification Of Christian Faith by LordReed(m): 6:35pm On Mar 08, 2020
FOLYKAZE:

It's my pleasure Your highness Reed.

The discourse have exposes more than I had in mind. This week, I took time to read Bible narration on Israel exile, building of the second temple and the action of Cyrus toward their freedom and project. While unraveling the historicity of the account, a transcript of Cyrus cylinder, a clay cylinder text containing writings from Cyrus, shows that Cyrus had nothing to do with Jew or their development of the temple. The texts indicated that Cyrus only decree that Babylon God Marduk temple should be rebuilt. Historian revealed that Nebodial, the preceding king abandoned worshipping Marduk, and enforced Sin, the moon God from the Northern Babylon on the entire empire. Cyrus reversed this. However, the bible and the flocks of believers twisted and distorted the decree for their own purposes. Cyrus Cylinder invalidates everything written in the bible....

I took the issue to church and Pastor subtly jabbed me, warning that he won't tolerate such discussion in his church. Next sunday topic is about Exodus and Joshua ruling as a judge....my hard hit spot, he go hear am

Wow. Another thing I didn't know. It just gets crazier.
Re: Historicity Of The Bible And Justification Of Christian Faith by budaatum: 7:36pm On Mar 08, 2020
FOLYKAZE:

I know of a guy called Buzugee who share same idea as above, that the bible accounts is majorly allegorical. I don't have issue with that.

But if I may ask, what is your thought on afterlife. Would there not be rapture and sojourn to heaven in the literal sense? Is everything in the bible allegory
I have no evidence for an afterlife or a heaven nor do I concern myself about such things, for Christ wisely advised that "[url=https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew+6%3A26-34&version=NKJV]Sufficient for the day is its own trouble", and I can't add "one cubit to my stature"[/url] by worrying. What I do know is that some are in heaven right here on earth, and some are definitely in hell.

And no, everything in the Bible is not allegory. Some is historical - though bad history mostly, some is mythical, some made up, some corrupted, some of it is to make one think and so on and the whole of it is to make one a living human being.

That said, the devil does not rest, so one must be diligent in one's reading while bearing in mind what the message is.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply)

Why Your Paper Bible Is Better Than Phone Bible / Bakare: Only Rich Men Should Rule / Do You Fake Being A Christian As An Atheist In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 131
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.