Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,167 members, 7,815,064 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:42 AM

What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? - Travel (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? (72106 Views)

4000 Empty Containers Leaving Nigeria (Picture) / Nigerian Man Shows Off How Much He Has Changed Five Months After Leaving Nigeria / "The Day I Left Vs Now" Transformation Of A Medical Doctor After Leaving Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (24) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by alfasexy: 6:32pm On Feb 21, 2020
Kingpele:
Forget this guys that are hyping abroad, you will first of all Miss your loved ones, then you will feel alone and the way this whites will be looking at you, you will feel inferior to them, then the hatred of some whites, they did make u feel you messed up your country and come to their own to enjoy life, they will hate u for it and keep reminding you of it, I passed through to shit in Turkey and Kosovo but am back now and I regret ever leaving this country, make money here you can give yourself everything u need, be it light, good house, security and water then u flex like u own the town....

Turkey & Kosovo whites?

3 Likes

Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by sirhamilton(m): 6:32pm On Feb 21, 2020
NonEthniCITY:
After I finished my high school in 2005, I wanted to work and make money, so I was directed to a now defunct bank(Ecobank Sapele Road Branch, Benin City) to meet someone there to get a job as a janitor.

I went there and met this man, he told me my salary will be N6, 000, but I must pay him N4,000 cash before I get the job. I told him I had no money as I just finished my high school and then told him to deduct it from my first salary in that case - it was as if I insulted him by saying that. He said no way that he is going to have to give the job to someone who can pay him. That was how I didn't get that job. It changed a whole lot for me at that point.

Fast forward to about 15 years later, I landed in America with an immigrant visa. All I needed to apply for a job was a social security number (other than my visa). Started applying for different one online. I even got one without an interview - all that was needed to know was that I was legal, drug-free and able to work. That was it! No bribe, no payment of any sort.

Now, among many other injustices and harsh life the average Nigerian man and woman has to endure, tell me why I should regret leaving. Listen, I am not saying my life is perfect here, but I have a lot to be grateful for.

My only regret is not being able to bring all my family with me.

After NYSC, i got a sales job in a bank paying 40k , monthly target was was 1M. i wore out two pairs of shoes trekking all over town, my hair turned brown from the sun. I resigned after 3 months to save my life. After spending the next 2 months in recovery, i got another job in a one man organization, the pay was 30k; now i basically ended up being an errand boy though my job role was administrative officer, well, i guess i was the administrative errand boy. One of my lowest moments working their was the day the boss had me do his wife( full time house wife ) grocery shopping. Prior to this i'd always get gas for his power gen' set at home when i get off work and buy his lunch. Being owed salary till the second week of the month was normal, after which i'd be paid 25 or 25k out of 30k, with the balance to be paid later.

There are days i reminisce, and i still have no idea how i managed to survive in Nigeria all my life.

The question should be " What are your regrets not leaving Nigeria?"

PS: However, on the flip side i think we'd all agree that Nigeria made us the people we are today or still hope to become

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by SangoOlukosoOba(m): 6:34pm On Feb 21, 2020
Beer and Cigarettes.
Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by proclinician: 6:36pm On Feb 21, 2020
Kingpele:
Forget this guys that are hyping abroad, you will first of all Miss your loved ones, then you will feel alone and the way this whites will be looking at you, you will feel inferior to them, then the hatred of some whites, they did make u feel you messed up your country and come to their own to enjoy life, they will hate u for it and keep reminding you of it, I passed through to shit in Turkey and Kosovo but am back now and I regret ever leaving this country, make money here you can give yourself everything u need, be it light, good house, security and water then u flex like u own the town....

When will u be more useful to these ur loved ones. When u are here earning minimum wage and putting ur fingers in ur butt crack and smelling in ur nose and when u are out there making that money and helping them.

1 Like

Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by Leebeedo(m): 6:37pm On Feb 21, 2020
justwise:
My only regret is not leaving earlier.

Me too oh my brother, I just waste all those years for that useless country.

1 Like

Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by TheKingIsHere: 6:37pm On Feb 21, 2020
Damn!!! So no single person regretted living this sh1thole? cheesy

Well, I am planning on building my house very soon, after which na to relocate permanently...

My brothers and sisters can be living in the house until they have enuff to run outta this sh1thole too.

Under the fulani dullard and his brainless minions, this country is doomed no matter how positive you think

3 Likes

Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:38pm On Feb 21, 2020
Keep leaving, very soon Fulanis will take over your LAND and there will be nothing to come back to... wink
Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by Merically: 6:40pm On Feb 21, 2020
Lawalemi:
Amazing. I opened this thread to gather experiences but it's shocking that not anyone is regretting their adventure yet. My God, who will deliver Nigeria from evil leaders?

My dear you may not get the true situation of things by asking this question in this forum because we Nigerians are suffering and smiling, we pretend a lot even when all is not well, we keep saying yes is ok. Ask people who pass through Libya desert they will still say it's ok. We Nigerians just have a passion of hating our dear country forgotten where we're running to is built by the people of that country who have passion for their country. When things are not going well in US, the citizens keep saying God bless America but here in Nigeria the reverse is the case. In Nigeria nobody wants to contribute their quota but only blame games, so the earlier we Nigerians realise to build a nation of our dream the better for the future of this great nation Nigeria. I have lived, worked and still working outside the country. Just my opinion.

8 Likes

Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by TheKingIsHere: 6:41pm On Feb 21, 2020
Asadujames202:
Op give me connection make I migrate to Spain.

Even if na to wash dead body I go do am

grin grin grin grin
Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by YorubaLord: 6:42pm On Feb 21, 2020
Drenimarcus:

lol werey, maa shey mistakenly quote me mo grin grin

Where you dey for MN? cool
Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by puregrace(m): 6:44pm On Feb 21, 2020
ogongogames:
Interesting question. It doesn't apply to me because I was born abroad. However, if I was to asked my parents they would say family. For instance, my mother never knew the day she left Nigeria and waved her dad away would be last time she would see him again. My father came to the UK during the early 80s, lost both his parents in the mid-80s. No such thing as camera phones or Skype etc back then so contact was limited.
Anytime you wake up in the morning,pray for your parents for giving birth to you outside Nigeria,if not for anything. Pray for them before yourself.... They did you a BIGGGGG favour.... You can not understand

2 Likes

Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by kayo80(m): 6:45pm On Feb 21, 2020
Beautyaddy:

The millions of Nigerians still living in Nigeria and will not want to live anywhere else.

Don't mind the negative ones. It is almost as if bad things make them happy. You get more of what you focus on.
Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by DexterousOne(m): 6:47pm On Feb 21, 2020
Koginaija:
Why we like this?, I read some comments here and many nigerians are just insulting their father land.you will rather be a burden in a foreign land than develop your own.if that was how those foreigners treated their country,will you go there.lazy youths.make sure you don't come back o! we don't need people who will disdain us and be of no profit to us. GOD BLESS NIGERIA.

Forget that thing
Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by fotadmowmend(m): 6:47pm On Feb 21, 2020
How will a sane human regret leaving Nigeria

5 Likes

Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by DexterousOne(m): 6:53pm On Feb 21, 2020
johnoj24:
We are working so hard to get this country Nigeria working again; very soon Nigeria will be a better place to live so if you are traveling out you are on your own.

With Buhari as president and Kyari as Chief of Staff?

Good luck
Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:54pm On Feb 21, 2020
feelgoodstuffs:
I don't think anyone would have regrets leaving Nigeria cheesy

What about Nigerians in China (particularly those in Wuhan), begging to be repatriated?

1 Like

Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by DexterousOne(m): 6:55pm On Feb 21, 2020
sowilli:
you are saying this because you don’t have money simple. How much is 30 million? Will you tell Dangote about peace. Dangote too much self. I have worked for billionaires and even guys that don’t have billions self. They are living life. Will you tell Davido that Nigeria is shit hole. Dude is making his money. Same with million others. Again, Na person wey no get money dey rant about naija. If you get money you go no say naija Na people and people Na naija. Same with other nations. It’s all people. Find you niche bro and don’t have any regrets about some set of people!

You have no idea D cheesy
Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by Taiwoolumide(m): 6:56pm On Feb 21, 2020
The day I left was the happiest day of my life.

5 Likes

Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by DexterousOne(m): 6:56pm On Feb 21, 2020
sowilli:
most nairalanders and “commenters” are average guys. Many have not seen beyond a hundred million, a reason for this mentality.

You are still missing the point undecided

2 Likes

Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by DexterousOne(m): 6:58pm On Feb 21, 2020
SpecialAgent:

Obviously people like me who are stuck here, we shall eventually eat the elites & politicians really soon.

.better do
Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by Caustic001: 6:58pm On Feb 21, 2020
EdiskyHarry:
no reasonable human being will regret leaving Nigeria, even if to leave to Ghana, Togo or Guinea .
this sadly is the truth, l can testify
Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:58pm On Feb 21, 2020
proclinician:
Nigeria is the world's largest cluster of idiots. Take a clue from the presidiot and his APC supporters like .
you see that manna guy, even his children will not forgive him, from generation to generation to his great grand children.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by Caustic001: 6:59pm On Feb 21, 2020
no regrets actually, but l miss our traditional food and our nightlife. That's all.
Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by Yoighaman(m): 7:00pm On Feb 21, 2020
Kingpele:

Very true + more you didn't mention.

Still reading comments though, would post mine after reading everyone else's.
Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by MIKOLOWISKA: 7:03pm On Feb 21, 2020
you realise you are one of the visionless leaders right
God gave you 1 talent but longerthroat kee you there looking at abroad 2 talent

good4all40:
If you migrated from Nigeria to most first world countries legally, your only regret will be not leaving Nigeria early, l doubt this country is going to develop with these type of visioness leaders, sometimes you get mad for finding yourself in this part of the world but there is little or nothing you can do about it, we have accepted our faiths.

This country is so bad that you can be killed by anything the security of our country has never been this worst.
Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by MIKOLOWISKA: 7:04pm On Feb 21, 2020
bette pay your tax my friend
shebiyou wan go abroa
ENG0701:

Yes I also miss those affordable services. Tailor, cobblers etc. I have some shirts to adjust, and I'm weary of going to tailors around here.
Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by Glistinin(m): 7:04pm On Feb 21, 2020
Leaving this shithole this year is my life goal now! There is no going back!

4 Likes

Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by Gbagbuo247: 7:05pm On Feb 21, 2020
Skyfornia:
Mine was out of frustration. I was working back then in a private company owned by one man, I worked diligently and contributed to the progress of the company, but when some money under my custody was stolen, the company mandated me to pay it back, it wasn't easy cause they were deducting 80% of my salary as a means to recover back the money, so I gathered money and paid the rest, resigned from the company and out of annoyance, I decided to travel to Sweden....but I still come back to this shithole after one year. The worst decision ever!

Since you gathered money and paid; you should have just stayed back and dig harder
Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by Gbagbuo247: 7:06pm On Feb 21, 2020
Johanneiyoha:
Me not leaving did f**ked country early is Wat I regret too.

Where is your dream country?

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (24) (Reply)

USA Spousal Visa Process/ K3 Visa / My Street Amid Last Day Of COVID-19 Lockdown In Abuja (Photos) / Which Country Is Easy And Cheap For A Person To Go And Hustle?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.