Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,129 members, 7,814,944 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:06 AM

What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? - Travel (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? (72100 Views)

4000 Empty Containers Leaving Nigeria (Picture) / Nigerian Man Shows Off How Much He Has Changed Five Months After Leaving Nigeria / "The Day I Left Vs Now" Transformation Of A Medical Doctor After Leaving Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (24) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:06pm On Feb 21, 2020
queengift:
I can't wait to leave Nigeria too, one day I will come back to this thread and state my own regrets, but I doubt I will miss anything in Nigeria expect family.
Even family self I no send them ?I'm living this shithole by his grace .
Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by Mcslize: 7:06pm On Feb 21, 2020
lordally:

sorry I wanna know more about your experience so I can learn from you .....are you saying you regret traveling to Sweden?

He meant he regretted traveling back to Nigeria.
Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by Yoighaman(m): 7:06pm On Feb 21, 2020
franchasng:
If not for weather and food, no regrets.

It's the bad weather (-14 degrees Celsius during winter) and stupid meals that made me miss Nigeria when I was away.

Me I hate cold, I almost died during my first winter experience, na who send Osuofia go Moscow shocked shocked

Nigeria and West Africa is so blessed with the best weather on earth but cursed with the most foolish leaders and citizens angry angry

But there's more money to make in Nigeria as a legitimate entrepreneur with good business idea and capital than abroad, reason many ambitious Nigerians come back or shuttle between Naija and abroad.

Sense kee you die! Chop knuckle.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by Mrhonesty: 7:08pm On Feb 21, 2020
My regret is leaving Nigeria 18 years late. I started 2002. Trams, Trains and other transport systems are very OK, even at midnight. If you no even get work here, u are paid.
Nigeria can be better if we all change to do good and love ourselves.

9 Likes

Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by Yoighaman(m): 7:08pm On Feb 21, 2020
axponline:
No regrets. Living in Atlanta is just like living in Lagos without the traffic, heat, dirt, power failure etc. Nigerian joint/beer palour plenty here. Nigerian food full ground. Redeemed Church, Winners Chapel, Mountain of Fire, Deeper Life, CAC all of them dey here.
direct flight to Lagos. If you have spare $1500 , you can go to Lagos for week-end Thursday back Sunday. Best of 2 scenarios. If you update/upgrade your skills (especially modern IT skills) (note I said skills not qualifications) , jobs that can fetch $150,000 a year plenty.

Very true.

1 Like

Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by Mcslize: 7:09pm On Feb 21, 2020
ENG0701:

Same here. I'm going for my driving test soon and the whole thing makes me miss Naija's lawlessness. In Nigeria we get used to getting around things by paying for it.

This is what we are saying. We are the ones making Nigeria a hell of a place to stay. We don't like when things work. From your write up, you might consider flaunting the rules over there to compare the difference between living in a sane country and living in a shit hole. You missed the lawlessness of Nigeria can you imagine that?

11 Likes

Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by segunoluomoofte(m): 7:14pm On Feb 21, 2020
Only miss the buka food like real Yoruba food

1 Like

Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by bossinblack: 7:15pm On Feb 21, 2020
Once a while, I travel for few days on official or business related trips.... and everytime I return, I wonder why I haven't taken the decision to leave permanently angry

1 Like

Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by Mcslize: 7:17pm On Feb 21, 2020
Kingpele:
Forget this guys that are hyping abroad, you will first of all Miss your loved ones, then you will feel alone and the way this whites will be looking at you, you will feel inferior to them, then the hatred of some whites, they did make u feel you messed up your country and come to their own to enjoy life, they will hate u for it and keep reminding you of it, I passed through to shit in Turkey and Kosovo but am back now and I regret ever leaving this country, make money here you can give yourself everything u need, be it light, good house, security and water then u flex like u own the town....

Travel out to a multicultural country not all those Arab or Muslim countries . That's not travel. If you want to travel out, go to a good country. Turkey na country? Them dey include Turkey to countries to travel to?

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by ProfDave123: 7:20pm On Feb 21, 2020
HeavenlyHolines:
i stay in Kazakhstan and sincerely no place like home. this country have same resources as we do but mismanagement n bad leaders wouldnt allow us to move forward. Nigeria and Nigerians r blessed. we have all d resources to move forward but we ourselves dont want to

Bro I applied for a Masters program there. Please kindly reply to my mail
Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by ahaika23: 7:21pm On Feb 21, 2020
I vowed to leave my beloved country after the last election. I made sure I voted for the dullard to lose, but as expected my vote didn’t count I then channeled all my energy and resources to leave the country for him. It’s a decision I’m grateful to God for. I miss my family but I’m doing very well here. The cold is there but it doesn’t get in my way while I’m making sure I grow my finances. Those who voted Buhari should enjoy the disaster! Spits!

6 Likes

Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by Yoighaman(m): 7:22pm On Feb 21, 2020
sowilli:
Na person wey no get money dey complain say Nigeria Na shit hole. Whilst things are bad in Nigeria, there should be no regrets for staying back or leaving Nigeria if you really know what you are doing. A business man who does like 300 million Naira in revenue or say 2 million dollars can visit any country with no stress. It’s all about finding your vision and pursuing it.

Best comment so far....

2 Likes

Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by AnthonyAk(m): 7:23pm On Feb 21, 2020
I regret not starting my farm while i was doing NYSC
Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by Observer1: 7:26pm On Feb 21, 2020
Who in their right mind would regret leaving 9ja after seeing and realising what a shithole Nigeria is.

I've only visited 9ja once after leaving over 20yrs ago And I see no attraction in visiting again, I regretted even visiting that once.

10 Likes

Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:27pm On Feb 21, 2020
Regret 1: Not taking my main chic pocohantas with me to Cameroon.

Regret 2: Not taking my sidechick Ishilove too.

(Well, I'll soon right the wrongs)

Regret 3: I miss foo foo and oha soup (I dey chop am for dream sometimes though so no much worries), yam porridge, Portharcourt bole (I dey chop am for dream too so I'm okay somehow)

Regret 4: I miss urinating outside and the breeze that cool my power house as I do, chai e don tey.

Finally, I miss the lawlessness in naija. grin

8 Likes

Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by praiseneo(m): 7:28pm On Feb 21, 2020
Ishilove:

Village people dey reason your mata
no be village people all d time make those people rest

1 Like

Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by praiseneo(m): 7:29pm On Feb 21, 2020
8stargeneral:
which state did you applied for it?
Ibadan
Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by Gbagbuo247: 7:29pm On Feb 21, 2020
seankafor:
I feel for you.

There is light bro, at the end of the tunnel

My Guy, you better take your lighter, candles, firewood and kerosine along with you while entering that tunnel so that should not see any light there; you can make your own light.

4 Likes

Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by Yoighaman(m): 7:29pm On Feb 21, 2020
NonEthniCITY:
After I finished my high school in 2005, I wanted to work and make money, so I was directed to a now defunct bank(Oceanic Sapele Road Branch, Benin City) to meet someone there to get a job as a janitor.

I went there and met this man, he told me my salary will be N6, 000, but I must pay him N4,000 cash before I get the job. I told him I had no money as I just finished my high school and then told him to deduct it from my first salary in that case - it was as if I insulted him by saying that. He said no way that he is going to have to give the job to someone who can pay him. That was how I didn't get that job. It changed a whole lot for me at that point.

Fast forward to about 15 years later, I landed in America with an immigrant visa. All I needed to apply for a job was a social security number (other than my visa). Started applying for different one online. I even got one without an interview - all that was needed to know was that I was legal, drug-free and able to work. That was it! No bribe, no payment of any sort.

Now, among many other injustices and harsh life the average Nigerian man and woman has to endure, tell me why I should regret leaving. Listen, I am not saying my life is perfect here, but I have a lot to be grateful for.

My only regret is not being able to bring all my family with me.

Wonderful.
Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by Yoighaman(m): 7:30pm On Feb 21, 2020
Focusmind:
All these comments makes some of us that wants to remain in Nigeria look insane. I had all the opportunity to leave Nigeria but just couldn't. I seems to be in charge of my affairs and life here in Nigeria.

What I did was to give citizenship to my kids by having them abroad but all of us are still in Nigeria.

I seems to be relatively ok and enjoying my consultancy job with the little freedom it offers me.

I wouldn't want to start life again. I did my masters in UK more than 10 years ago, but still came back because of family and boredom.

For now, no regret staying back in Nigeria. I believe strongly that my success and fulfilment will come here. The future is bright and the right contacts are also being made.

I remain HERE!

I think I should stop reading comments at this point.
Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by NwaliE01: 7:32pm On Feb 21, 2020
My regret for leaving Nigeria is not leaving Nigeria Since.
Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by Anniie4u: 7:33pm On Feb 21, 2020
Skyfornia:
Mine was out of frustration. I was working back then in a private company owned by one man, I worked diligently and contributed to the progress of the company, but when some money under my custody was stolen, the company mandated me to pay it back, it wasn't easy cause they were deducting 80% of my salary as a means to recover back the money, so I gathered money and paid the rest, resigned from the company and out of annoyance, I decided to travel to Sweden....but I still come back to this shithole after one year. The worst decision ever!

This is quite touching embarassed
What made you come back?
Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by Kfed4ril(m): 7:33pm On Feb 21, 2020
Skyfornia:
Mine was out of frustration. I was working back then in a private company owned by one man, I worked diligently and contributed to the progress of the company, but when some money under my custody was stolen, the company mandated me to pay it back, it wasn't easy cause they were deducting 80% of my salary as a means to recover back the money, so I gathered money and paid the rest, resigned from the company and out of annoyance, I decided to travel to Sweden....but I still come back to this shithole after one year. The worst decision ever!

Which is the worst decision?
The traveling to Sweden out of annoyance or returning back to the shit hole after a year?
Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by sowilli: 7:34pm On Feb 21, 2020
DexterousOne:

You have no idea D cheesy
there is no idea anywhere. You don’t have money. People who have money don’t come talk about regrets not leaving or staying in naija
Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by sowilli: 7:36pm On Feb 21, 2020
DexterousOne:

You are still missing the point undecided
there is no point other than the fact that many of you do less than 50 million per annum. If you are in this level. There will always be some complaint about naija.
Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by DexterousOne(m): 7:36pm On Feb 21, 2020
sowilli:
there is no idea anywhere. You don’t have money. People who have money don’t come talk about regrets not leaving or staying in naija

What is your definition of "having money"?
Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by Yankee101: 7:38pm On Feb 21, 2020
The warm weather
Cheap Organic food
Naija dating without preconditions
Cheap accommodation
Maids/Houseboys
Being served at home/not washing plates myself/not having to cook myself
Cheap panel beaters
Cheap haircut
Refreshing church services
Visit friends without scheduling
Pounded yam and egusi ynafu ynafu
Free money in naija (if you know your way)

9 Likes

Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by DexterousOne(m): 7:38pm On Feb 21, 2020
sowilli:
there is no point other than the fact that many of you do less than 50 million per annum. If you are in this level. There will always be some complaint about naija.

How many Nigerians will EVER DO N50M?

Living a decent life should be available to as many as possible

The very fact that its only the haves that have some semblance of it is testament to Nigeria shittiness

12 Likes

Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by DexterousOne(m): 7:41pm On Feb 21, 2020
bossinblack:
Once a while, I travel for few days on official or business related trips.... and everytime I return, I wonder why I haven't taken the decision to leave permanently angry

Both of us are in the same boat

1 Like

Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by Eldorado14: 7:41pm On Feb 21, 2020
axponline:
No regrets. Living in Atlanta is just like living in Lagos without the traffic, heat, dirt, power failure etc. Nigerian joint/beer palour plenty here. Nigerian food full ground. Redeemed Church, Winners Chapel, Mountain of Fire, Deeper Life, CAC all of them dey here.
direct flight to Lagos. If you have spare $1500 , you can go to Lagos for week-end Thursday back Sunday. Best of 2 scenarios. If you update/upgrade your skills (especially modern IT skills) (note I said skills not qualifications) , jobs that can fetch $150,000 a year plenty.

what kind of IT skils pls?
Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by olanreyman(m): 7:43pm On Feb 21, 2020
I'm still in Nigeria, but I already know I don't have any regret when I leave

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (24) (Reply)

USA Spousal Visa Process/ K3 Visa / My Street Amid Last Day Of COVID-19 Lockdown In Abuja (Photos) / Which Country Is Easy And Cheap For A Person To Go And Hustle?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.