Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,017 members, 7,818,012 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:12 AM

Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES - Agriculture (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES (140890 Views)

My Experience Cultivating 10 Hecters (25 Acres) Of Maize Farm Land / Cost Of Cultivating Cassava Farm On An Hectare / Cost Of Cultivating 1 Hectare Of Okra & Pepper (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (69) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by aquadude15: 1:42pm On Jan 22, 2021
Farmerakinloye6:
15ml and minimum of 14 days interval.
thanks boss
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Farmerakinloye6(m): 2:21pm On Feb 03, 2021
Farmerakinloye6:
For those that are curious on how to apply lime, here it is.make ridges,then use drip tape to mark hole point, one cup of hand will do for each hole.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7syw2OILCc
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Farmerakinloye6(m): 2:35pm On Feb 03, 2021
Hmmm... Farmer dey suffer! I was in market this morning and grade1 hausa basket is sold 2.5-3k, grade1 crate 2.5k. if it can be sold 3k here then it can not be more than 1.2-1.5k in the north. It generate controversial ( HOW DO THEY DO IT)among my colleague. some say "government is sponsoring them," some say " government is subsidizing tomato." The one my people plant here is not even goooood, fruit is small and sick.

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Farmerakinloye6(m): 8:29am On Feb 08, 2021
Am in market at the moment. See for yourself angry full basket 2k

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by jidestroud(m): 8:35am On Feb 08, 2021
Farmerakinloye6:

Every tomato farmer over here knows that this is the wrong time to go into commercial tomato farming. You simply can't compete with them. It is their time. For now, i just enjoy my vegetable sales while it lasts (before the rains comes back)
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by aquadude15: 12:25pm On Feb 08, 2021
Farmerakinloye6:
with all the stress and fuel that I burn, I will now sell my tomato 2k per basket. Jesus I need a miracle oooo
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by omorkelly(m): 8:13pm On Feb 08, 2021
And which market is this pls?
Farmerakinloye6:
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Farmerakinloye6(m): 7:23am On Feb 09, 2021
omorkelly:
And which market is this pls?
shashaa market in akure.
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Farmerakinloye6(m): 7:41am On Feb 09, 2021
Farmerakinloye6:
It has always being my habit to have little little crop for my own consumption,and sometimes I do dash out too, example tomato,pepper,vegetable leaf,cocoyam,okro e.t.c. so I have like ten stand of f2 platinum which germinate on there own after I make ridges. I have transplant them now, and I intend to train them to know what the fruit will be. Who's else is also curious to know what f2 platinum fruit will be? Click share,if I see reasonable share then I will be updating it with pix.
my observation with f2 platinum,it has similar attribute with f1 but the fruit is smaller( though f1 planted in open field this dry season is also small) I don't think Growing tomato organically for commercial in open field can be possible, look closely you will see leaf Miner handwriting on the leaf because I don't spray it, even caterpillar no carry last.

1 Like

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by tpben: 7:41pm On Feb 11, 2021
Good evening all.
Please if you have had an experience regarding this please help asap.

There is this land I got recently that is close to stream but I'm having serious headache with it regarding the type of soil.

I noticed the soil is a clay soil and that it holds on water.
My fear is on the soil drainage when the rain comes since I'm not in control of rain and I'm in the south that experiences heavy downpour yearly.

I have never grown vegetables on a soil like this.
I have always had loamy and sandy soils that drains well with raised bed and have not had issues.

What is your experience growing pepper, cucumber, tomatoes, etc on a clay soil.

Drought problems made me source for a land close to water but this clay is giving greater headache now.

Please help asap with your suggestions.

Thank you.
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Farmerakinloye6(m): 5:36pm On Feb 13, 2021
Preparation for Another planting season start today, I will do just 3-3.5k tomato stand and 2.5-3k cucumber, Also preparing to plant maize and cassava in hectares by may. I booked 20 bags of hundred kg, moving it to farm on point. I have manager now so I'll be more detail than before. I will be posting the video to make it More detail,pls encourage my IG and YouTube channel!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Farmerakinloye6(m): 5:54pm On Feb 13, 2021
We were many that plant thesame time last year, many beat me In terms of production and quality,I beat some too, and their is one person his harvest is exceptional, we were like you plant platinum now! How come? Because his tomato fruits seeds and bigger. He took his time and explain what he did different.have gain more knowledge here and offline. I will do my nursery by ending. All the materials I need is on ground now including fuel grin!
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by ideepaul: 6:52pm On Feb 13, 2021
Farmerakinloye6:
We were many that plant thesame time last year, many beat me In terms of production and quality,I beat some too, and their is one person his harvest is exceptional, we were like you plant platinum now! How come? Because his tomato fruits seeds and bigger. He took his time and explain what he did different.have gain more knowledge here and offline. I will do my nursery by ending. All the materials I need is on ground now including fuel grin!
Lemme guess sir! I believe he fertigated frequently
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by safarifarms(m): 7:47pm On Feb 13, 2021
ideepaul:
cheesy cheesy you are in Uyo na, your case sure
Any update on that tomato seed as I'm getting prepared to start my nursery.
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by safarifarms(m): 7:54pm On Feb 13, 2021
Farmerakinloye6:

Can you please share his secret? wink
Thanks
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by ideepaul: 8:57pm On Feb 13, 2021
safarifarms:

Any update on that tomato seed as I'm getting prepared to start my nursery.
Nope! I was quite busy for like a week, and we had issues with waybilling so I didn't get the seeds though
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by TangoAlpha: 9:12pm On Feb 13, 2021
tpben:
Good evening all.
Please if you have had an experience regarding this please help asap.

There is this land I got recently that is close to stream but I'm having serious headache with it regarding the type of soil.

I noticed the soil is a clay soil and that it holds on water.
My fear is on the soil drainage when the rain comes since I'm not in control of rain and I'm in the south that experiences heavy downpour yearly.

I have never grown vegetables on a soil like this.
I have always had loamy and sandy soils that drains well with raised bed and have not had issues.

What is your experience growing pepper, cucumber, tomatoes, etc on a clay soil.

Drought problems made me source for a land close to water but this clay is giving greater headache now.

Please help asap with your suggestions.

Thank you.

Good day,

From my experience, cucumber might be the most suitable of the three crops you listed for the clay soil especially when the rains come pouring down.

All this being equal, the cucumber might do a little better there than elsewhere.

You may however, have to contend with more than usual weed pressure.

All the best

Cheers
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Farmerakinloye6(m): 1:58pm On Feb 20, 2021
ideepaul:

Lemme guess sir! I believe he fertigated frequently
nope.
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Farmerakinloye6(m): 2:05pm On Feb 20, 2021
safarifarms:

Can you please share his secret? wink
Thanks
it quantity and quality manure. A friend use 3 manure from different source, bro the result is glaring. That particular friend I was referring to has poultry and pigpen.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Farmerakinloye6(m): 2:10pm On Feb 20, 2021
TangoAlpha:

Good day,

From my experience, cucumber might be the most suitable of the three crops you listed for the clay soil especially when the rains come pouring down.

All this being equal, the cucumber might do a little better there than elsewhere.

You may however, have to contend with more than usual weed pressure.

All the best

Cheers
senior, your contribution shows you have deep knowledge on vegetable. Pls am a learner and I will appreciate any advice to make me a better farmer and pro like you sir.
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Farmerakinloye6(m): 2:19pm On Feb 20, 2021
Tomato price at the moment In akure. Grade 1 housa basket is 4.5-4k while grade 1 crate is 2-1.5k.

1 Like

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by safarifarms(m): 10:29pm On Feb 20, 2021
Farmerakinloye6:
it quantity and quality manure. A friend use 3 manure from different source, bro the result is glaring. That particular friend I was referring to has poultry and pigpen.
Ok. Thanks
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by bfag: 10:32pm On Feb 20, 2021
@farmerakinloye please which of the manures gave better result because am currently applying pig manure from experience I discovered it is very rich in phosphorus I once used in maize and yam farm and the yields were excellent
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by TangoAlpha: 11:32pm On Feb 20, 2021
Farmerakinloye6:
senior, your contribution shows you have deep knowledge on vegetable. Pls am a learner and I will appreciate any advice to make me a better farmer and pro like you sir.

You are a humble man.

I am far from being a pro. I come to Nairaland to learn. I have learnt somethings from your posts.

You are clearly advanced in tomato production, for instance. I am just learning the ropes.

The comments I made about the clay soil were drawn for personal experience from farming for a few years on soil of similar characteristics.

I enjoy your dedication and your readiness to share.

Thanks and Cheers!

5 Likes

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Emempaul(m): 2:24pm On Feb 21, 2021
Farmerakinloye6:

please which is better
chicken manure or pig manure or the combination of both types of manure
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Farmerakinloye6(m): 3:13pm On Feb 21, 2021
bfag:
@farmerakinloye please which of the manures gave better result because am currently applying pig manure from experience I discovered it is very rich in phosphorus I once used in maize and yam farm and the yields were excellent
manure from both chicken and pig is good, the quality boiled down to what they feed on. I have seen farmer feeding his pigs with cassava peel 40% + rice chaff 45% + 15% normal feed almost everyday. When they pack The dung out, I was like this is rice dust now, it don't even smell. She was ready to sell it at 100 naira par 100kg but nobody has interest. What do you think Will be the outcome of that manure if use as basal? With what I have seen,I will prefer quality manure that comes from pig.
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Farmerakinloye6(m): 3:15pm On Feb 21, 2021
Emempaul:

please which is better
chicken manure or pig manure or the combination of both types of manure
I will prefer quality manure that comes from pig.
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Emempaul(m): 7:21pm On Feb 21, 2021
ok thanks.
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by ideepaul: 10:22pm On Feb 21, 2021
Farmerakinloye6:
wow...I envy your friend grin grin
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by komoland: 6:48am On Feb 22, 2021
Get drip tape irrigation system for your farm

Drip tape 16mm, 0.3mm thickness, 30cm and 50cm spacing, (1,500m/roll). N73,000
Straight connector for lay flat and drip tape (100pcs). N13,000
End cap connector for drip tape (100pcs). N10,000
Venturi fertilizer injector or fertigator (1pcs). N12,000
Filter disc 2’’ (1pcs) N11,000
Filter disc 1’’ (1pcs) N9,000

1 Share

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Farmerakinloye6(m): 11:54am On Feb 26, 2021
Land preparation on point, next thing is to spray contact then renew The ridges, and manure application.

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by MoreTech(m): 3:51pm On Feb 26, 2021
Farmerakinloye6:
Land preparation on point, next thing is to spray contact then renew The ridges, and manure application.

what do you mean by applying contact or do you mean herbicide?

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (69) (Reply)

Practical Broiler Production, A Step By Step Tutorial With Pictures 150 birds / A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos / My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.