Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,200 members, 7,811,529 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:54 PM

Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES - Agriculture (25) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES (139903 Views)

My Experience Cultivating 10 Hecters (25 Acres) Of Maize Farm Land / Cost Of Cultivating Cassava Farm On An Hectare / Cost Of Cultivating 1 Hectare Of Okra & Pepper (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) ... (69) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by grandpoh(m): 11:50pm On Jul 23, 2021
Omonaijani:

It's not easy watering manually, but encourage yourself with the fact that your tomatoes should be ready next month when a crate should still be selling above 10k, this will make you ignore the stress of manual watering, if you don't water regularly, the fruits will take up more water than they can hold when it eventually rains and they will start to crack; another thing: continue to spray catapillarforce or belt expert because of sucking worms and tuta that might have been deposited on the flower by butterfly and they will form inside the fruits and begin to spoil it.

It’s not been easy at all
I’ll get catapillarforce to spray
Thanks
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by gabrielokeke555(m): 8:19am On Jul 24, 2021
Want to make money online using your mobile phone through affiliate marketing?

Please click on the below link to register and start earning today by just reading news, giving reviews on products and commenting on blog sites.

Your mobile phone should be able to foot its data expenses by generating income with it.

https://www.trendnews.ng/register/?ref=Gabydicta
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Farmerakinloye6(m): 3:46pm On Jul 24, 2021
flowmama:

Boss Man, kindly hint us what and what you did right this time to make such huge harvest as compared to your last year batch. Eagerly waiting to learn sir.

Thanks
Boss flowmama, I cultivated last year own as a broke nigger, no money to even buy fuel, no helping hand,and to even buy effective fungicide hard me (ortiva top) last year was a one man job. I don't set foot on market last year to know maybe they were cheating me grin, I was just doing collection, and receive whatever they gave me cheesy. This year I have millions in my account, I even bought Brand New tricycle to transport my produce to market, so as to see things for myself.

6 Likes

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Farmerakinloye6(m): 3:55pm On Jul 24, 2021
Cedagrochemical:

Any variety is prone to crack if there is an excess uptake of water
have you plant or seeing production of plantinum,diva and Padma side by side? If you have! You understand what I mean by diva doesn't crack. To me, Padma don't even red in color is more of yellow, and don't command respect in market. The problem I have with diva and Cobra is both don't last and fruit like plantinum, but they have market respect than plantinum.

1 Like

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Farmerakinloye6(m): 4:13pm On Jul 24, 2021
grandpoh:
Day 57
Mistakes as observed so far
I started staking late
Heavy rainfall 2wks back made lots of it bend
I’m wetting manually and the soil moisture is barely enough as rain don reduce drastically

It’s my first time with hybrid tomatoes guys
It’s flowering and fruiting too atm
Any corrections to be made?

Ps:I’ll be getting the irrigation tape for the next batch Gods grace.
sir, I doff my hat for you, wetting thousands of stands manually no be moimoi, Sir you and your boys deserve flowers on your hat. Too late to stake will encourage unnecessary branches and fungi. My brother, you get lucky no be small! My friends that tried rain Fed last year eat his pounded yam as ordinary yam because for like three weeks there was no rain. God bless your hustle Bro.

1 Like

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by flowmama: 4:42pm On Jul 24, 2021
Farmerakinloye6:
Boss flowmama, I cultivated last year own as a broke nigger, no money to even buy fuel, no helping hand,and to even buy effective fungicide hard me (ortiva top) last year was a one man job. I don't set foot on market last year to know maybe they were cheating me grin, I was just doing collection, and receive whatever they gave me cheesy. This year I have millions in my account, I even bought Brand New tricycle to transport my produce to market, so as to see things for myself.

Wow, more grace boss. God bless you
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by grandpoh(m): 4:53pm On Jul 24, 2021
Farmerakinloye6:
sir, I doff my hat for you, wetting thousands of stands manually no be moimoi, Sir you and your boys deserve flowers on your hat. Too late to stake will encourage unnecessary branches and fungi. My brother, you get lucky no be small! My friends that tried rain Fed last year eat his pounded yam as ordinary yam because for like three weeks there was no rain. God bless your hustle Bro.

No be for here my brother
Am definitely getting the irrigation tape for next batch mio le wa sise ku
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by ANOCETS: 7:18pm On Jul 24, 2021
Good evening
Please is there anyway to go about weeding a tomato farm than hoe and cutlass? If yes what?

2 Likes

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Farmerakinloye6(m): 7:58am On Jul 27, 2021
ANOCETS:
Good evening
Please is there anyway to go about weeding a tomato farm than hoe and cutlass? If yes what?
mulch films.
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by ritzyluv: 5:51pm On Jul 27, 2021
Farmerakinloye6:
mulching!

Pls sir. What's your spacing on platinum again. 30cm or 60cm?
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Farmerakinloye6(m): 4:57pm On Jul 28, 2021
ritzyluv:

Pls sir. What's your spacing on platinum again. 30cm or 60cm?
mine is 30cm ( my drip tape distance) what is your own drip tape distance?
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by bayoadeyanju: 6:19pm On Jul 28, 2021
Nice post.

1 Like

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by ritzyluv: 7:03am On Jul 29, 2021
Farmerakinloye6:
mine is 30cm ( my drip tape distance) what is your own drip tape distance?

Same 30cm but my last planting was 60cm. Next year I will doing platinum by God's grace
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Nastolly: 8:05am On Jul 29, 2021
Please can I use well water to irrigate an acre of tomato.
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by emmaachile2(m): 10:38am On Jul 29, 2021
Comparing 9 tomato varieties including Kilele F1, Ansal F1, Padma F1, Nouvelle F1, Safa f1, Rafano F1, Rambo F1, Terminator F1.
The smallest size was Padma f1! but many fruits.

https://www.facebook.com/103145881698548/videos/360082348993950/
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Farmerakinloye6(m): 10:43am On Jul 29, 2021
Nastolly:
Please can I use well water to irrigate an acre of tomato.
no sir! You said "you are a student" and you will have time to cultivate acre of tomato? Tomato no be cassava and maize my brother!!
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Farmerakinloye6(m): 10:51am On Jul 29, 2021
ritzyluv:

Same 30cm but my last planting was 60cm. Next year I will doing platinum by God's grace
60cm is good but that means you will spend much on staking. If you are going 30cm make sure your furrow is at least 1.2-1.3 meters. That your area has market potential (heavy buyers) your people come daily to buy here in Akure. I have big plan against next year, so I will contact you when am ready sir!
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Dayo1988: 1:36pm On Jul 29, 2021
In two weeks time my tomatoes will be ready for market without irrigation

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Farmerakinloye6(m): 5:01pm On Jul 29, 2021
Dayo1988:
In two weeks time my tomatoes will be ready for market without irrigation
lucky you! Well done Bro! I like your pruning, and I will do similar things next year if the weather is cool as at the time I will be planting.
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Dayo1988: 9:56pm On Jul 29, 2021
Bross tanx
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by bfag: 11:16pm On Jul 29, 2021
For me I planted both cobra 26 f1 and platinum f1 I discovered platinum is overrated compare to cobra and has low tolerance for bacteria Wilt
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by ideepaul: 6:18am On Jul 30, 2021
bfag:
For me I planted both cobra 26 f1 and platinum f1 I discovered platinum is overrated compare to cobra and has low tolerance for bacteria Wilt
East West seeds Sabi marketing and hyping up of it products!
They are doing well no doubt and are becoming best in terms of Nigerian penetration and dominance, but when it boils down to the best seeds? They aren't all always the best, but they are doing well no doubt and their products are sometimes cheaper than most except maybe Technisem.
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Nastolly: 8:42am On Jul 30, 2021
Pls how much can I drill borehole in oyo state
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by ideepaul: 7:51pm On Jul 30, 2021
emmaachile2:
Comparing 9 tomato varieties including Kilele F1, Ansal F1, Padma F1, Nouvelle F1, Safa f1, Rafano F1, Rambo F1, Terminator F1.
The smallest size was Padma f1! but many fruits.

https://www.facebook.com/103145881698548/videos/360082348993950/
thanks for the link, he didn't comprehensively cover the whole matter, but I learnt a thing or two anyways
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by OluchiDelly: 9:12pm On Jul 30, 2021
bfag:

My brother cobra F1 na one stubborn n rugged plant/fruits. Flood overtook my farm after many days of prolonged rainfall, yet it did not succumb to wilting easily. people who have not planted it before assume the fruit is too small, maybe because the breeders even underrated it by quoting 80g as the avg weight. I got about 110g avg, some fruits that we left on the kitchen shelf almost 2weeks remained intact.

2 Likes

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by emmaachile2(m): 9:13pm On Jul 30, 2021
ideepaul:
thanks for the link, he didn't comprehensively cover the whole matter, but I learnt a thing or two anyways
He didn't come out straight but you will notice Ansal F1 from seminis and Kilele f1 from Syngentha is preferred by him due to their disease resistance and big sized fruits.
East west has a new product called Diva F1. It may be better than the padmas and platinums in size and look (red colour). Any tomato below 100g at this age is a no-no for the current competition. What's the average yield for these padmas?
Cos I know a Rambo F1 farmer who gets 30 tonnes/acre in a group consistently.
Seminis have a new breed called the Xaman F1 but is not available here. It caught my eye because it does not need staking.
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by OluchiDelly: 9:53pm On Jul 30, 2021
emmaachile2:

He didn't come out straight but you will notice Ansal F1 from seminis and Kilele f1 from Syngentha is preferred by him due to their disease resistance and big sized fruits.
East west has a new product called Diva F1. It may be better than the padmas and platinums in size and look (red colour). Any tomato below 100g at this age is a no-no for the current competition. What's the average yield for these padmas?
Seminis have a new breed called the Xaman F1 but is not available here. It caught my eye because it does not need staking.
What's the major feature of the xaman F1 that makes it not to require staking?
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by ideepaul: 10:18pm On Jul 30, 2021
emmaachile2:

I really noticed the bias though I wont blame him as the preferred brands are doing well compared to our EWS that hype up products without giving out detailed explanation of the cultivar characteristics leaving you to your fate! To me, cobra 26 is better than Padma and platinum based on my experience here.
I read about the xaman, but it's not worth the stress for now based on the cultivars available to me, and I believe every cultivar has its unique plant Care and nutrition demands which we should learn and improve upon to get excellent results even from the cheaper and commonly available hybrids.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by emmaachile2(m): 10:28pm On Jul 30, 2021
OluchiDelly:

What's the major feature of the xaman F1 that makes it not to require staking?
Short height habit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqnS3XwXmkw
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by emmaachile2(m): 10:57pm On Jul 30, 2021
ideepaul:
I really noticed the bias though I wont blame him as the preferred brands are doing well compared to our EWS that hype up products without giving out detailed explanation of the cultivar characteristics leaving you to your fate! To me, cobra 26 is better than Padma and platinum based on my experience here.
I read about the xaman, but it's not worth the stress for now based on the cultivars available to me, and I believe every cultivar has its unique plant Care and nutrition demands which we should learn and improve upon to get excellent results even from the cheaper and commonly available hybrids.
Not really biase but facts. Ansal had 190g weights, Kilele about 120g while Padma was 85g. If these go to the market, more people will patronise the large type fruits and definitely command more price.

In Nigeria, there are still good varieties available from the kilele f1 to the Gamhar Rz f1 and Rambo f1 because these ones guarantee above 100g if your management is good. It seems the cobra 26 F1 is not red enough!
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by ideepaul: 11:06pm On Jul 30, 2021
emmaachile2:

Not really biase but facts. Ansal had 190g weights, Kilele about 120g while Padma was 85g. If these go to the market, more people will patronise the large type fruits and definitely command more price.

In Nigeria, there are still good varieties available from the kilele f1 to the Gamhar Rz f1 and Rambo f1 because these ones guarantee above 100g if your management is good. It seems the cobra 26 F1 is not red enough!
cobra not red? Maybe it's location dependent info about bacterial wilt tolerance of gamhar and kilele
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by OluchiDelly: 11:10pm On Jul 30, 2021
emmaachile2:

In Nigeria, there are still good varieties available from the kilele f1 to the Gamhar Rz f1 and Rambo f1 because these ones guarantee above 100g if your management is good. It seems the cobra 26 F1 is not red enough !

It's ok. The color appears stretched and blurred cos i over cropped the original pic from almost 1mb to below 250kb B4 it can be uploaded.

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) ... (69) (Reply)

Practical Broiler Production, A Step By Step Tutorial With Pictures 150 birds / A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos / My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.