Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,561 members, 7,823,483 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 10:43 AM

Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES - Agriculture (26) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES (141757 Views)

My Experience Cultivating 10 Hecters (25 Acres) Of Maize Farm Land / Cost Of Cultivating Cassava Farm On An Hectare / Cost Of Cultivating 1 Hectare Of Okra & Pepper (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) ... (69) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by emmaachile2(m): 7:00am On Jul 31, 2021
OluchiDelly:

It's ok. The color appears stretched and blurred cos i over cropped the original pic from almost 1mb to below 250kb B4 it can be uploaded.
Ok
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Nastolly: 7:20am On Aug 01, 2021
Good morning, pls can tomato be planted from November till next year with adequate irrigation system
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Farmerakinloye6(m): 7:35am On Aug 01, 2021
Nastolly:
Good morning, pls can tomato be planted from November till next year with adequate irrigation system
it will not do well!
And when your tomato come out, the price will be like undecided

1 Like

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Nastolly: 8:31am On Aug 01, 2021
@farmerakin what about water melon. What month is best to grow tomato. And also u no it good to do something, it not good to always look at the money.with what have read and heard, tomato do well in dry season aside the pest. And sir I'm trying to cut the tomato sellers from bring tomato from Lagos cus the farmers here plant the same time in the raining season. So I'm trying to grow then so I can produce tomato them and sell cheaper so I can grab customers for March/April preparation sir. I'd love u to say two or more words to advise me thanks
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by ideepaul: 2:02pm On Aug 01, 2021
ideepaul:
cobra not red? Maybe it's location dependent info about bacterial wilt tolerance of gamhar and kilele
oga emmaachile2, what I meant to ask is if you have any idea about the practical bacterial wilt tolerance of kilele and gamhar...I made some mistakes while typing and it blurred the whole question, also any info on open field commandant F1 bell or any better bell pepper cultivar you know sir

1 Like

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by ideepaul: 2:08pm On Aug 01, 2021
Nastolly:
Yes only if you select the right cultivars for the dry season with tolerance/resistance to viral infections, you have cheap and 100 percent reliable irrigation system, and you have the ability to control insect vectors in your farm, it will do better compared to the rainy season cultivation, but the challenge will be the extremely poor prices! Why don't you do other crops like cucumbers, okra, leaf vegetables, etc by then and wait for next year where you will have raised funds for tomato....from my experience, a well setup tomato farm is a lil bit more expensive especially during the rainy season, but you will get excellent results if setup properly!
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by emmaachile2(m): 2:19pm On Aug 01, 2021
ideepaul:
oga emmaachile2, what I meant to ask is if you have any idea about the practical bacterial wilt tolerance of kilele and gamhar...I made some mistakes while typing and it blurred the whole question, also any info on open field commandant F1 bell or any better bell pepper cultivar you know sir
I have not cultivated those cultivars myself but there are debate on their bacterial wilt tolerance. Some farmers argue that there are some resistance to bacterial wilt because when planted with the local variety, the locals all wilted when these other hybrids were not affected in the height of the rainy season.

What I know is that most hybrids that are very tolerant have small fruits I learnt from a sakata representative.
But there are brands known for true bacterial wilt such as East West and Sakata.
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Nastolly: 2:20pm On Aug 01, 2021
@ idee sir, I'm not planting much sir, I just want to use to gather enough experience sir, and u no u should plant because of money alone, u can't tell what might happen, probably there might be a price increase, everything na risk. And I don't really no much abt cucumber. I was actually thinking of watermelon what di you think
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by ideepaul: 7:41pm On Aug 01, 2021
Nastolly:
@ idee sir, I'm not planting much sir, I just want to use to gather enough experience sir, and u no u should plant because of money alone, u can't tell what might happen, probably there might be a price increase, everything na risk. And I don't really no much abt cucumber. I was actually thinking of watermelon what di you think
You don't know alot about cucumbers and you're planning to do tomatoes? I am not here to scare you, but lemme be honest; it's difficult for a "successful" tomato farmer to fail in cucumbers if he gets some basic info needed, but it's very easy for a cucumber farmer to fail when switching to tomatoes.
The agrochemicals/materials you will use to manage the tomato farm won't be cheap nor free, so why won't you try to recoup some parts of your investment even if you're learning? Unless you have a good source of money that doesn't have any subheading!
I would personally advise you spent time digesting every info you can find on nairaland, Facebook(I have learnt more than you can imagine from here), YouTube, and any other research papers you can lay your hands on.
Devote time/do trials to improve on your farming capacity, and if you believe in God, pray for his mercies and favour.
Study every farmshot image you see, there is a lot to learn in images than most people can imagine (there is a reason why research bodies/labs don't put images of its work carelessly)
Find a farmer in your locality who is open minded and willing to share information with you,(they can be hard to find, but believe me, there are good people out there)
Start from crops that demand less capital, but have a good ROI, and understand the basics of farming from those easy crops with less challenges,( there's a reason why some crops have higher returns on investment, the risks involved no be here o).

4 Likes

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by betabread: 7:53pm On Aug 01, 2021
ideepaul:

You don't know alot about cucumbers and you're planning to do tomatoes? I am here to scare you, but lemme be honest; it's difficult for a "successful" tomato farmer to fail in cucumbers if he gets some basic info needed, but it's very easy for a cucumber farmer to fail when switching to tomatoes.
The agrochemicals/materials you will use to manage the tomato farm won't be cheap nor free, so why won't you try to recoup some parts of your investment even if you're learning? Unless you have a good source of money that doesn't have any subheading!
I would personally advise you spent time digesting every info you can find on nairaland, Facebook(I have learnt more than you can imagine from here), YouTube, and any other research papers you can lay your hands on.
Devote time/do trials to improve on your farming capacity, and if you believe in God, pray for his mercies and favour.
Study every farmshot image you see, there is a lot to learn in images than most people can imagine (there is a reason why research bodies/labs don't put images of its work carelessly)
Find a farmer in your locality who is open minded and willing to share information with you,(they can be hard to find, but believe me, there are good people out there)
Start from crops that demand less capital, but have a good ROI, and understand the basics of farming from those easy crops with less challenges,( there's a reason why some crops have higher returns on investment, the risks involved no be here o).

Golden Nuggets, You are a true tech minded farmer........................

1 Like

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by IamAsiri: 8:15pm On Aug 01, 2021
ideepaul:

You don't know alot about cucumbers and you're planning to do tomatoes? I am here to scare you, but lemme be honest; it's difficult for a "successful" tomato farmer to fail in cucumbers if he gets some basic info needed, but it's very easy for a cucumber farmer to fail when switching to tomatoes.

I don't agree with you o. Ask boss Jidestroud tongue grin
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by jidestroud(m): 2:36am On Aug 02, 2021
IamAsiri:

Cucumbers
Never again. angry sad
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Nastolly: 6:33am On Aug 02, 2021
Good morning everyone, pls can I plant tomato on a soil recently used to grow cucumber?. Also pls can I plant tomato and cucumber on same piece of land. Tjenland is an acre so I want to share it 3-3 plot each
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by ideepaul: 6:50am On Aug 02, 2021
IamAsiri:

Hahaha grin I nor Sabi why oga jide dey fear cucumber o, he has all the info and skills required to grow cucumbers, but he has made up his mind already, no need to dissuade am
jidestroud:

Cucumbers
Never again. angry sad
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by ideepaul: 6:51am On Aug 02, 2021
Nastolly:
Good morning everyone, pls can I plant tomato on a soil recently used to grow cucumber?. Also pls can I plant tomato and cucumber on same piece of land. Tjenland is an acre so I want to share it 3-3 plot each
na 1/2 acre you wan use do experiment, issoright!!!
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Nastolly: 7:07am On Aug 02, 2021
At idee, I tot this platform is made to put people through what they don't no or understand, if u can't answer pls leave the comment section pls. Before you became a professional u are, u were once a learner
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by emmaachile2(m): 7:34am On Aug 02, 2021
Nastolly:
At idee, I tot this platform is made to put people through what they don't no or understand, if u can't answer pls leave the comment section pls. Before you became a professional u are, u were once a learner
That size is too much for a beginner. That is what he is saying.
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by jidestroud(m): 10:17am On Aug 02, 2021
ideepaul:
Hahaha grin I nor Sabi why oga jide dey fear cucumber o, he has all the info and skills required to grow cucumbers, but he has made up his mind already, no need to dissuade am

The irony in this my cucumber saga is that I have helped 2 friends set up their cucumber farms (although just 2plots each) and it did marvelously well, though it wasn't organic.

Well, I think the major problem I have with cucumbers is my inability to grow them organically on a commercial scale. For tomatoes, I have grown them in and out of seasons with breaking a sweat, but that thing called cucumbers ehn.... angry, even pilot projects of few stands using good available seeds at that time, IT STILL DIDN'T WORK FOR ME HABA!!!
The winchy winchy wey dey follow that crop too much. At this stage, no more trails and errors for me oooo, na to make money and one winchy winchy cucumber cannot come and be giving me headaches or force me to go inorganic. Make I leave am for una experts.
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by ritzyluv: 7:37pm On Aug 04, 2021
jidestroud:

The irony in this my cucumber saga is that I have helped 2 friends set up their cucumber farms (although just 2plots each) and it did marvelously well, though it wasn't organic.

Well, I think the major problem I have with cucumbers is my inability to grow them organically on a commercial scale. For tomatoes, I have grown them in and out of seasons with breaking a sweat, but that thing called cucumbers ehn.... angry, even pilot projects of few stands using good available seeds at that time, IT STILL DIDN'T WORK FOR ME HABA!!!
The winchy winchy wey dey follow that crop too much. At this stage, no more trails and errors for me oooo, na to make money and one winchy winchy cucumber cannot come and be giving me headaches or force me to go inorganic. Make I leave am for una experts.

Sir please can I have your number?
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Farmerakinloye6(m): 10:51am On Aug 09, 2021
Grade1 6.5k...6 and 5k. Tomato market is dull...

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Farmguy: 1:11pm On Aug 09, 2021
Good day bosses .
Is it ok to start my green pepper nursery at this time of the year .. August ..
(Actually I planted 10 trays of green pepper California wonder today )
I want to know what could go wrong ..
Things I should look out for etc ...
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Johnboom: 1:36pm On Aug 09, 2021
FarmAkinloye and others expert in the house, when is the best time to plant tomatoes in Southwest, thank you.
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by dutch4u(m): 3:42pm On Aug 09, 2021
Farmerakinloye6:
Grade1 6.6k...6 and 5k. Tomato market is dull...
Plz, how much are they selling those small baskets because that is what they normally use in my area. And how many that small baskets can someone get from a crate?
Thanks
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Farmerakinloye6(m): 4:44pm On Aug 09, 2021
Johnboom:
FarmAkinloye and others expert in the house, when is the best time to plant tomatoes in Southwest, thank you.
tomato (Platinum) need some level of cool weather to do well... personally I will never plant tomato in October- February even if the price (fruit will be small) will be good, though the price here by that time is always lipsrsealed undecided. If you want to enjoy the bonanza plant 20th Feb -may 20th...the Bonanza is till on but market is dull why because Dem aboki has begin to join the party.
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Farmerakinloye6(m): 5:09pm On Aug 09, 2021
dutch4u:

Plz, how much are they selling those small baskets because that is what they normally use in my area. And how many that small baskets can someone get from a crate?
Thanks
2 of this is 1 crate...I think that one should be around 4.

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by OluchiDelly: 10:06pm On Aug 09, 2021
Farmerakinloye6:

You guys separated your markets from local/illiterate farmers with local variety inside local baskets.
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by dutch4u(m): 10:42pm On Aug 09, 2021
Farmerakinloye6:
Thanks so much
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by betabread: 11:00pm On Aug 09, 2021
OluchiDelly:

You guys separated your markets from local/illiterate farmers with local variety inside local baskets.

very good observation...................

those baskets are the unit of measurement in my area....................

how much do those baskets go for ( platinum & Local)
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Adeola245(m): 9:45pm On Aug 10, 2021
Please how do you guys deal with early blight infection on your tomatoes farms? angry
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by flowmama: 2:17am On Aug 11, 2021
Ortiva top + SAAF

Adeola245:
Please how do you guys deal with early blight infection on your tomatoes farms? angry

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Adeola245(m): 4:53pm On Aug 11, 2021
flowmama:

Ortiva top + SAAF

. Layman terms please
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by zxcvbnmlkjhgfds: 6:14pm On Aug 11, 2021
Adeola245:
. Layman terms please

That's the name of the fungicide you're to apply.

(1) (2) (3) ... (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) ... (69) (Reply)

Practical Broiler Production, A Step By Step Tutorial With Pictures 150 birds / A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos / My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.