Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,569 members, 7,812,840 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:25 PM

Resident Of A State For 10 Years Should Become Indigene, Says Senate - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Resident Of A State For 10 Years Should Become Indigene, Says Senate (31667 Views)

Alleged Terrorism: Our Hands Tied On Pantami, Says Senate / Shettima: Anyone Above 70 Years Should Forget About Contesting For President / Jones Abiri Released After Two Years, Should He Sue The Government? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Resident Of A State For 10 Years Should Become Indigene, Says Senate by DabuIIIT: 5:25am On Mar 12, 2020
No wonder,Lagos is a no man's land
grin

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Resident Of A State For 10 Years Should Become Indigene, Says Senate by Cmeo(m): 5:27am On Mar 12, 2020
Hmmm
Re: Resident Of A State For 10 Years Should Become Indigene, Says Senate by Origin(f): 5:28am On Mar 12, 2020
Not feasible I beg.

Imagine Lagos State that every Nigerian wants to claim and live in. That is already overcrowded and we want to decongest yet people are still trouping in.

No claim your state and develop it.

4 Likes

Re: Resident Of A State For 10 Years Should Become Indigene, Says Senate by ehisdan(m): 5:29am On Mar 12, 2020
These people have plan. So, those people that use leg through bush to my town, go come dey drag my town with me, say paper talk say them be indigene?

Anyway sha na audio bill.

5 Likes

Re: Resident Of A State For 10 Years Should Become Indigene, Says Senate by DabuIIIT: 5:30am On Mar 12, 2020
My name is Kontagora Mamman Kazaure. I am from Oyo state.

grin

2 Likes

Re: Resident Of A State For 10 Years Should Become Indigene, Says Senate by wowcatty: 5:37am On Mar 12, 2020
Abuse ke! It will only be used to claim that they co owned Yorubaland, that's all! Only the weak people's land will be claimed with it. Who is going to go to the north and tell Hausa and Fulani in the north or Igbos in the SE that they have been there for 10 years and ask for anything that is not even there?

Eni ri ese were ti o bu s'ogun, ologbon ori wo lo fe gbe ti e s'ile!

There will be a lot of demand on Yoruba to share with or vacate their political positions for foreigners, with court cases lined up against Yoruba candidates since foreign judges are now many in Yorubaland. The danger lurking for Yoruba is huge even the blind can see it, but my people can't and it's almost over.
Wizzz1:
This bill Will be abused in Nigeria, there is too much tribalism for anyone to suggest such a bill.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Resident Of A State For 10 Years Should Become Indigene, Says Senate by Ayo8(m): 5:40am On Mar 12, 2020
Lagos will officially become no man's land..
Developers will like this cheesy grin grin

For Fulanis
Ruga plan B.
They can now officially ask for settlement for their cows...

On a second thought... if its properly implemented, it could erase the issues of tribalism over time..
Re: Resident Of A State For 10 Years Should Become Indigene, Says Senate by DonMekino(m): 5:47am On Mar 12, 2020
please kill this bill, this is never our problem in Nigeria, these ppl have a sinister agenda.....the igboman won't even want to be indigene of Lagos, he's only interested in d commercial aspect save few. the Yoruba man will still go back to his state....but u see these ppl from North....they don't even know where they are coming from, they like to migrate and start procreation anywhere cos many are from Chad and niger

9 Likes

Re: Resident Of A State For 10 Years Should Become Indigene, Says Senate by adenigga(m): 5:48am On Mar 12, 2020
GermanMelania:
Lol. Such b.s see plan to take other people's land and enslave them. The north with thier population. Ndi igbos claiming lagos. Voting will become insane. How many southern people move up north where it is a more restrictive culture? I hope this bill dies or we are screwed. The kind war wey go break out ehn. Plus they will make this retroactive. And what will happen in 20 years when all those almajiris grow up?. This is bad policy. Say no to birthright citizenship.

May God bless you for this post !

Ethnic politics in Nigeria is as old as Nigeria itself.
Elections, Quota system, Federal character, et al, are all the factors that will test the authenticity of one Nigeria's slogan.

It shall be well!

2 Likes

Re: Resident Of A State For 10 Years Should Become Indigene, Says Senate by chuksoyo21(m): 5:52am On Mar 12, 2020
This 9th Senate is so dumb...
They should replace the word "indigene" with "Citizen". This will help create the feeling of inclusiveness and societal cohesiveness..
Re: Resident Of A State For 10 Years Should Become Indigene, Says Senate by Nobody: 5:52am On Mar 12, 2020
Nonsense, how is it helpful in any way? Like there is benefit for being an indigene? Silly and back sighted
Re: Resident Of A State For 10 Years Should Become Indigene, Says Senate by 9japride(m): 5:53am On Mar 12, 2020
Kingspin:
You, Nigerians go to the UK, US and steal theirs abi fight for your rights in court and protest. In another man's land that is ok abi?

Myself am not even outside my region but I support the bill.

Give some people who have stay in a particular area for long "some" rights.

But i doubt if the bill will see the light of the day going by the nothing working syndrome of Nigeria.
[color=#006600][/color]

Nigeria is not ripe yet for such bill. We have not matured yet, a country without justice. One section of the country will sponsor their kinsmen to another state just to constitute nuisance there, especially the tribe's of the herdsmen.
Re: Resident Of A State For 10 Years Should Become Indigene, Says Senate by Basher8583: 5:54am On Mar 12, 2020
Niggmatic:
Good. Hahaha..
I know some people that will not like this grin

Hmm this table Senate is rocking hen. They will soon make Igbo extinct as all of them go they bear Yoruba and Hausa indigenship.
But on the flip side Hausa and yorubas in the east would prefer to remain with status quo

2 Likes

Re: Resident Of A State For 10 Years Should Become Indigene, Says Senate by StaffofOrayan(m): 5:57am On Mar 12, 2020
Wake up pls
It's 2020 and Fulani's are still grabbing land

Ayo8:
Lagos will officially become no man's land..
Developers will like this cheesy grin grin

For Fulanis
Ruga plan B.
They can now officially ask for settlement for their cows...

On a second thought... if its properly implemented, it could erase the issues of tribalism over time..

1 Like

Re: Resident Of A State For 10 Years Should Become Indigene, Says Senate by zoedew: 5:59am On Mar 12, 2020
When what they should do is do away with identification by State.
Re: Resident Of A State For 10 Years Should Become Indigene, Says Senate by 9japride(m): 6:02am On Mar 12, 2020
wowcatty:
You are right but what do you expect to become of mumu people who can't protect their land? You lose what you don't protect. Don't let us deceive ourselves, Yorubaland is the only land open to be taken over and it's the only reason the bill is being passed, and Yoruba senators will vote for it if they are not even secretly leading it. Yoruba have lost land and will continue to lose land, with the young children of today sending curses to their parents wherever they are for screewing up their lives. I don't know how cursed a people can be.
[color=#006600][/color]

It's unfortunate, Yoruba should protect their land seriously. The west have a lot of forests and green areas. We shouldn't be deceived. When one claim indigene of those western states, especially the herdsmen they will invite their blood thirsty brothers to the area and before you know it, the west will be a grazing field and a emirate controlled. With our present mentality in this country, I don't trust our leaders, same way some zombies post nonsense on this site. Just imagine sharing a state with those savages without any sense of human feelings, it will be total disaster

6 Likes

Re: Resident Of A State For 10 Years Should Become Indigene, Says Senate by SoNature(m): 6:05am On Mar 12, 2020
Who has noticed that Senator Ovie Omo-Agege is really sponsoring a lot of bills?
Re: Resident Of A State For 10 Years Should Become Indigene, Says Senate by Sleevia: 6:07am On Mar 12, 2020
Mikehot:
Trash, we don't need it.

The fulanis would see it from different perspective
well what do u expect from someone who fulani helped attain current position? They all must do their bidding to support what will favour fulani and betray their own people.

The other day, hope uzodimma was talking similar trash.

If Southerners don't Start beating these guys, you will wake up one day and see your land sold right under your nose.

1 Like

Re: Resident Of A State For 10 Years Should Become Indigene, Says Senate by SoNature(m): 6:08am On Mar 12, 2020
Basher8583:

Hmm this table Senate is rocking hen. They will soon make Igbo extinct as all of them go they bear Yoruba and Hausa indigenship.
But on the flip side Hausa and yorubas in the east would prefer to remain with status quo

Is it your extinction?

2 Likes

Re: Resident Of A State For 10 Years Should Become Indigene, Says Senate by gulfer: 6:09am On Mar 12, 2020
There are other technicalities that should be considered, i.e, Is that person registered in the state, is he paying his taxes and does he even have an address to start with. They should just address the issue of the national identification database and we can start talking about this indigene-by-length of stayish angry angry angry
Re: Resident Of A State For 10 Years Should Become Indigene, Says Senate by Nobody: 6:09am On Mar 12, 2020
So this is how chukwudi my brother gets green card in Kano state.
I'm happy for him. grin

On a serious note, state of origin doesn't matter in civilised world. In the US for example, what matters is state of residence and ain't nobody give a damn about your state of origin.

If I decide to relocate to Alaska state tomorrow, they will start paying me the oil stipend they pay other residents in that state period.
Re: Resident Of A State For 10 Years Should Become Indigene, Says Senate by tobstarizhia(m): 6:09am On Mar 12, 2020
Everyone is talking trash now. but once the bill has been passed into law, everyone will move on. same way lagosians have moved on following the okada ban.
I personally support this bill. Though I don't agree with some of the Fulani's living with us in our cities. But unless they change their names and totally get rid of their accent, you'll still be able to tell an Hausa from an Igbo from a Yoruba. still I support it, because that's what led to integration in America. many people came from different parts and mingled freely.
If they are indigenes then they must follow the laws of the state they reside in. I also encourage all regions to have their own task force like Amotekun.
This is good for the unity of Nigeria, but bad for the tribal bigots. and we know they are plenty in Nairaland.
What's the difference even. Most of these people have been living in "your lands" since time immemorial. How long does it take for you to be an indegene in The US or Canada.
don't be selfish.
Re: Resident Of A State For 10 Years Should Become Indigene, Says Senate by wowcatty: 6:10am On Mar 12, 2020
No one steals anything from the US or UK, we follow the law set up by the host community but you greedy onea don't stay on what your hosts give you in Nigeria, you are putting demands on them and have become a burden. So stop comparing apples to oranges.
Kingspin:
You, Nigerians go to the UK, US and steal theirs abi fight for your rights in court and protest. In another man's land that is ok abi?

But i doubt if the bill will see the light of the day going by the nothing working syndrome of Nigeria.

6 Likes

Re: Resident Of A State For 10 Years Should Become Indigene, Says Senate by KristenT: 6:14am On Mar 12, 2020
People who are criticizing this Amendment, are either myopic or have allowed their tribal and land-claim bias to becloud their reasoning.

You will go to America and other places, become citizen and contest elections and you will praise their society as forward thinking, mature and developed and you have the direct opposite in Nigeria and you don't think there is a problem.

You must have condemned that Cross-river state imbroglio. And you think it is not time Nigeria do away with this obnoxious policy and rule of indegenship, then you have a greater problem than I imagined.

Please read and understand before you criticized.
This Law is not saying that you are releasing your lands to a group, it only says anyone who have spent a number of years in a place be given similar opportunities as you.

Unlike ruga, it is not giving your lands to Fulani or anyone. If they need it, they have to buy it, and you can subject it to several location as you want.

When last I checked, Lagos has not deported people from Kebbi or other Nigerian state before(let us not go into the Anambra issue now) on the basis that they are not indegens of Lagos. Thus law is only saying they should not stop them by way of policy from benefiting in things you as an indegen should ordinarily benefit from.
Moreover, this amendment is successfully carried out will apply to the whole of Nigeria without reservations so why the complaint?
Re: Resident Of A State For 10 Years Should Become Indigene, Says Senate by oneTIMEman(m): 6:23am On Mar 12, 2020
Fulani people will become indigene ba?
Devil4bid
Re: Resident Of A State For 10 Years Should Become Indigene, Says Senate by SciLab: 6:24am On Mar 12, 2020
SoNature:
Who has noticed that Senator Ovie Omo-Agege is really sponsoring a lot of bills?

When the fulanis want to cause havoc, they use a southerner to present their case, so that eye brows won't be raised.

Senator Ovie Omo-Agege is the southern donkey they using in the senate for their expansionist agenda. But he must fail and his name will live in infamy forever.

It 100% impossible for a northern christian to win governorship election in the core northern muslim state. Even Patrick Yakowa a kaduna christian who became governor by grace was eliminated by the jihadists. What chance then does a southern christian 'kaffir' have in the north?

The muslim north doesn't believe in 'live and let's live'. They believe in the jihadist ideology of 'live by my way and by force'.

This bill is intended for them to infiltrate the south and grab our lands. The war they are looking for, they'll get it one day and become pariahs in West Africa as a whole.
It happened in CAR, it can also happen here.

8 Likes

Re: Resident Of A State For 10 Years Should Become Indigene, Says Senate by Nobody: 6:27am On Mar 12, 2020
-

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Resident Of A State For 10 Years Should Become Indigene, Says Senate by IMRAAN33(m): 6:29am On Mar 12, 2020
9japride:
[color=#006600][/color]

It's only a criminal that will like the bill. You aim is to steal other people's land and heritage. Nigerians will finally get sense soon
. When will you wise up?? What is land? Shay u wan chop am niiii. We met it here, we're going to leave it here. You sound so Igbotic.
Re: Resident Of A State For 10 Years Should Become Indigene, Says Senate by Yabsun(m): 6:30am On Mar 12, 2020
A particular tribe would abuse the opportunity. You know what they did to Ilorin Afonja na on the ground of hospitality Aole showed to them according to history. I fear Fulani invasion no be small. They could be a menace most time. Wrong move from stamping lawmakers undecided
Re: Resident Of A State For 10 Years Should Become Indigene, Says Senate by ALABACONNECT(m): 6:37am On Mar 12, 2020
Least of our problems currently. Many people will not like this tho
For your smart TVs and Soundsystems, check my signature
Re: Resident Of A State For 10 Years Should Become Indigene, Says Senate by Ayo8(m): 6:39am On Mar 12, 2020
Kingspin:

In a sane society, this can be a welcome development. But in a country like nigeria where some tribe believe they are above the law, this will spell doom for other tribes.
Countless massacre presently going on in part of Kaduna, taraba, benue and someother states perpetuated by a single known tribe and nothing is being done to apprehend the culprits...
I tell what, if this bill fly, in 50years they will outnumber you in your town- their polygamous nature plus numerous children, and in another 50years, there will be ethnic cleansing this time indigenes will be victims.
Let's us not start what we cannot finish moreso let's not make our grandchildren endangered tribes.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Resident Of A State For 10 Years Should Become Indigene, Says Senate by 9japride(m): 6:42am On Mar 12, 2020
IMRAAN33:
. When will you wise up?? What is land? Shay u wan chop am niiii. We met it here, we're going to leave it here. You sound so Igbotic.
[color=#006600][/color]

It's a good bill, but we are not ripe for it now especially with lack of justice in this country and oppressive tendencies of Nigerians. Please hand over your family land for grazing since you met it there. Don't wise up, except you are one of the tribe of the herdsmen or one of the useful tools northerners use to deceive the southern tribes. Land is people's heritage which have to be protected from criminally minded fellows.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Friday Opuru, Traffic Warden Rewarded By Governor Wike. See How He Reacted / Buhari Accuses Kwankwaso Of Diverting Kano Funds For His Presidential Campaign / President Buhari Receives Tinubu-Shettima Campaign Council (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.