Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,566 members, 7,812,833 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:16 PM

Resident Of A State For 10 Years Should Become Indigene, Says Senate - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Resident Of A State For 10 Years Should Become Indigene, Says Senate (31664 Views)

Alleged Terrorism: Our Hands Tied On Pantami, Says Senate / Shettima: Anyone Above 70 Years Should Forget About Contesting For President / Jones Abiri Released After Two Years, Should He Sue The Government? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Resident Of A State For 10 Years Should Become Indigene, Says Senate by wisdomkid: 8:07am On Mar 12, 2020
somadinho10:
ndi Lagos
Fool, it's the Fulani and the Northerners living in Western and Southern states.
These people want to set Nigeria on fire, and it'll touch them. They think they're untouchable. Just like the Convid 19 is affecting Billionaires, Politicians, actors, and prominent people.... The day of doom is closer to Nigerian Politicians too.

1 Like

Re: Resident Of A State For 10 Years Should Become Indigene, Says Senate by Nobody: 8:10am On Mar 12, 2020
Kingspin:
All that which you said is because Nigeria is a country without law and order
of course, in the acceptance of that unfortunate reality we have to keep saving ourselves.

The so called absence of law and order was initiated to delibrately give the north an advantage which boomerang everywhere.

The southern border remains closed to rice importation while the northern boarder remains free for all.
Re: Resident Of A State For 10 Years Should Become Indigene, Says Senate by DexterousOne(m): 8:11am On Mar 12, 2020
Ayo8:

Did UAE and Dubai grant citizenship to the 95% foreigners..?? They dare not...
When you give someone a sense of belonging, they come back to take everything
The reason why they are still docile is because we make them understand that they are strangers in our region.

This is not an intelligent thing to say.

And how can someone be a stranger in his own country?

Black man na mumu I swear
Re: Resident Of A State For 10 Years Should Become Indigene, Says Senate by Nowenuse: 8:11am On Mar 12, 2020
Kingspin:
Society is about law and order.

There are country foreigners made up 95percent of their population yet they are more comfortable and developed than Nigeria. I am talking about UAE, Dubai.

Nigeria is a whole failure that is the problem.

In UAE, Qatar and e.t.c... these foreigners can never get indigeneship whether they are born there or have lived there for generations... That is how the indigenous minorities manage to keep control of their ancestral land.

2 Likes

Re: Resident Of A State For 10 Years Should Become Indigene, Says Senate by colossus91(m): 8:12am On Mar 12, 2020
please this should not be allowed to happen l dont just wanna imagine a yoruba man or hausa man being a government of any Eastern state, call me a tribalism Idgaf.....just shouldn't happen biko!!

1 Like

Re: Resident Of A State For 10 Years Should Become Indigene, Says Senate by Coldie(m): 8:13am On Mar 12, 2020
GermanMelania:
Lol. Such b.s see plan to take other people's land and enslave them. The north with thier population. Ndi igbos claiming lagos. Voting will become insane. How many southern people move up north where it is a more restrictive culture? I hope this bill dies or we are screwed. The kind war wey go break out ehn. Plus they will make this retroactive. And what will happen in 20 years when all those almajiris grow up?. This is bad policy. Say no to birthright citizenship.
Its going to happen one day. You are just delaying the inevitable
Re: Resident Of A State For 10 Years Should Become Indigene, Says Senate by Coldie(m): 8:14am On Mar 12, 2020
Toosure70:
Hmmmmm, IMO should expect yahaya Bello or elrufai as their next governor.
Yahaya bello no, el rufai yes
Re: Resident Of A State For 10 Years Should Become Indigene, Says Senate by awgumayor: 8:17am On Mar 12, 2020
Villioncity:
In my own view, this is not good enough in Nigeria where there are deep religious, tribal, and ethical differences among the tribes. This will generate into big problem in future
On the contrary, it is the best bill that will foister unity among the tribes in Nigeria if we had loved ourselves. It will help us to assimilate and live side by side and reduce political intimidation and marginalization. But because of there is no love and trust, I agree with you.
Re: Resident Of A State For 10 Years Should Become Indigene, Says Senate by Coldie(m): 8:17am On Mar 12, 2020
2mch:

The target is Yorubaland. Everywhere is a failure filled with unevolved apes. Who think running to and claiming Yorubaland will suddenly make them rich. Instead they will spread their virus of failure and start crying poverty and hunger in a few years. Without realizing that a monkey cannot suddenly become a human being because he changed location. They should forget this bill or divide the country in they cannot respect ancestral territories. Even western countries respect that.
When they want to borrow money to develop and exclude south east, Nigeria is great, Buhari is the best.

But when they say as they are using borrowed money to be paid by all Nigerians to develop the west any Nigerian that has stayed there for over 10years can claim indigene. Nigeria became terrible over night.

U and I know this is going to happen one day
Re: Resident Of A State For 10 Years Should Become Indigene, Says Senate by 6digitscomrade: 8:18am On Mar 12, 2020
9japride:
[color=#006600][/color]

Has the government and the people of Nigeria thought differently? Don't let being politically correct mess up your thinking. 21th century in Nigeria, where elections is war, where people kill innocent people for no reason, where nepotism and bigotry reigns supreme. Please wake up we are not yet civilized for that
i will not say I’m ignorant of all u highlighted but change begins with u and I , the government is a reflection of who we are never forget.. I obviously will do different from u going by ur standards and mindset.. u see?? A clash is already established.. it’s beyond political correctness
Re: Resident Of A State For 10 Years Should Become Indigene, Says Senate by Coldie(m): 8:19am On Mar 12, 2020
yanabasee:
As Fulani and Hausa people, leading Nigeria like it's their birthright, they just want to control and become governors of states in the south-south and southeast states....

We want restructuring first.. Let every state have independent power to institute laws that will protect and provide for her indigenes without the intervention of the Federal might....

Oil rich states should be allowed to exploit, produce and refine it's oil by itself.... And to remit 25% to the FG...
I prefer this policy 100times over restructuring.

This would bring competition into the system without doing anything
Re: Resident Of A State For 10 Years Should Become Indigene, Says Senate by Coldie(m): 8:19am On Mar 12, 2020
Villioncity:
In my own view, this is not good enough in Nigeria where there are deep religious, tribal, and ethical differences among the tribes. This will generate into big problem in future
Its good.
Re: Resident Of A State For 10 Years Should Become Indigene, Says Senate by Coldie(m): 8:21am On Mar 12, 2020
wowcatty:
Exactly!

I have never seen a self-hating selfish people like Yoruba in my life, even in the face of danger. The children they bring to the world are nothing to them. Yoruba elders no longer care about the concept of "jeun omo" cos they have sold out the future of their children. You can't leave overseas and go and build your 3 br barndominium in a nice forest and stay close to nature because of foreigners living in Yorubaland who will not only robb you but kill your entire family too. Yoruba living standards have been badly affected by the immigrants who contribute nothing to our land but sniff life out of it. At this point, Yorubaland is putting itself in a tighter corner it won't be able to get out of. I'm just one person and I'm even tired of talking about this, I know Yoruba goose is already cooked and it will take some divine intervention to get out of the hole Yoruba are digging themselves in.
As far as Nigeria exists there's no such thing as Yoruba land. We only have Yoruba people not Yoruba land.

Every Nigerian in Lagos is not an immigrant.

We are all Nigerians.

1 Like

Re: Resident Of A State For 10 Years Should Become Indigene, Says Senate by Lot13(m): 8:28am On Mar 12, 2020
tollyboy5:

we wont accept this nonsense! grin their aim is southwest
The passage of this bill will encourage mass movement of herdsmen and almajiris to the south especially the SE to justify the mass movement and acceptance of Igbo economic migrants to other parts of this country.

3 Likes

Re: Resident Of A State For 10 Years Should Become Indigene, Says Senate by baysol: 8:29am On Mar 12, 2020
DexterousOne:

Exactly
Exactly what? He is ranting nonsense Igbocentric tins of no consequence. Anyway, like Ruga this useless bill will die a natural death because it has occupation connotations to it and must not be allowed to stand. The Hausa Fulanis has no interest in the unity of this nation from the onset, other than their selfish interest and evil plans that will never see the daylight no matter how hard they try. The South has been sitting on this keg of gunpowder for a long time. It is time for the South to confront these nemesis headlong and fight tooth and nail to liberate itself.

2 Likes

Re: Resident Of A State For 10 Years Should Become Indigene, Says Senate by Banter1(m): 8:33am On Mar 12, 2020
I disagreed with this nonsense talk.

1 Like

Re: Resident Of A State For 10 Years Should Become Indigene, Says Senate by Nowenuse: 8:43am On Mar 12, 2020
Kingspin:
That is not my point rather how Dubai could manage such strangers to achieving the level of development in that country. These are foreigners 95 of them well organised under favourable laws and orders backed by Dubai leaders. otherwise, nobody will enter Dubai.

My early clarification is Dubai is one country made up of 95 per cent outsiders yet nobody claims those foreigners are taken up their land and all that.

What Dubai cares about is development and jobs. The law is there.

The failure of Nigeria state seems to be affecting everybody anyway.

Even if your land is 99% filled with strangers, as long as these strangers have it at the back of their minds that they are strangers and they can be deported anytime if they misbehave, then all things are still in check..
But if 30% of a population who are strangers have a sense of equal ownership, then it always leads to problems. ... This is what we are saying.

2 Likes

Re: Resident Of A State For 10 Years Should Become Indigene, Says Senate by Nowenuse: 8:44am On Mar 12, 2020
Cyberterror:
Dreamer. This bill was first mooted by Igbos. Just as Igbos in Lagos will become indigenes of Lagos, fulanis in Enugu and Anambra will also become indigenes there.

The truth is that this bill only ends up favouring Hausa fulanis and to an extent Igbos, because they are the ones who migrate like refugees.

1 Like

Re: Resident Of A State For 10 Years Should Become Indigene, Says Senate by omoharry(f): 8:45am On Mar 12, 2020
9japride:
[color=#006600][/color]

It's only a criminal that will like the bill. Your aim is to steal other people's land and heritage. Nigerians will finally get sense soon
Nigerians travel and stay in other countries for so many years and become citizens / indigene of their locality. This give them the same right as other citizens to vie for political positions there.We celebrate them and will are the first to post it here on Nairaland. But when it comes for us to replicate so same, we become bias and sentimental.We are so attached to our so called land that it has remained underdeveloped for decades due to our backward thinking . America is great country today, becos it provided a platform where different race are given the same opportunities to become citizens in which they can partake in the development of the country.
We are too backward in thinking..This is why Ghana and other African countries are moving forward and we are retrogressing because we have refused to think like modern people. Eat your land na and stay in the polluted , dirty and backward looking land you call my own.
Make sure you do not dream of traveling and becoming a citizen of another country becos it will be a shame.
Re: Resident Of A State For 10 Years Should Become Indigene, Says Senate by omoharry(f): 8:52am On Mar 12, 2020
colossus91:
please this should not be allowed to happen l dont just wanna imagine a yoruba man or hausa man being a government of any Eastern state, call me a tribalism Idgaf.....just shouldn't happen biko!!
I look forward to the day that a Yoruba man will opportune to hold strong political positions in Igbo land and so the igbos in yoruba land. Now if these leaders do exceptionally well and bringing development to that those regions, wont it water down hatred & tribalism they have for each other?
We can never progress in this country until we make peace with our neighbors that equality want peace.I see this collaboration within the south and middle belt.I dont know about the core north..those ones want something else.
Re: Resident Of A State For 10 Years Should Become Indigene, Says Senate by codemaniacs: 8:53am On Mar 12, 2020
zz

1 Like

Re: Resident Of A State For 10 Years Should Become Indigene, Says Senate by 9japride(m): 8:56am On Mar 12, 2020
omoharry:
Nigerians travel and stay in other countries for so many years and become citizens / indigene of their locality. This give them the same right as other citizens to vie for political positions there.We celebrate them and will are the first to post it here on Nairaland. But when it comes for us to replicate so same, we become bias and sentimental.We are so attached to our so called land that it has remained underdeveloped for decades due to our backward thinking . America is great country today, becos it provided a platform where different race are given the same opportunities to become citizens in which they can partake in the development of the country.
We are too backward in thinking..This is why Ghana and other African countries are moving forward and we are retrogressing because we have refused to think like modern people. Eat your land na and stay in the polluted , dirty and backward looking land you call my own.
Make sure you do not dream of traveling and becoming a citizen of another country becos it will be a shame.
[color=#006600][/color]

America and other developed countries have set a better foundation for people to thrive. You can't say so for Nigeria, were wickedness and uncivilized life styles thrives. Countries go to war because of land related matter. We love our land and we don't want savages to come with their messed up ideologies to pollute someone's land because he/she now an indegen.

1 Like

Re: Resident Of A State For 10 Years Should Become Indigene, Says Senate by akigbemaru: 8:56am On Mar 12, 2020
Beachside:
Africa is an ethnic continent like Europe and Asia. Nigeria is an ethnic entity composed of ethnic nations ,similar to Japan,Netherlands,Botswana,etc. Not like the US,Canada,Australia,New Zealand.
If there's an efficient ID database and working system , I do agree that a resident of a particular city or state for at least 10 or 20 years, should be qualified to occupy lower government offices,but not top positions like Governor,deputy governor ,secretary of state,Chief judge.
Do you know the meaning of National interest , Allegiance or National Security ? That's why a naturalized US citizen can not be US president ,even if raised from one year old in the US. That's why a non ethnic Japanese can never be Japan president or governor ,even if born and raised,schooled and work in downtown Tokyo. That's why a non English person will never be King or Queen or any top positions.

Calabar constitution should be as follows : An individual not of Calabarian origin but born and raised in Calabar is unqualified for sensitive positions such as governor,deputy governor,chief judge,secretary of state ,Mayor or city manager. An individual (both male and female) with paternal Calabarian DNA ,whether born and raised or ever lived in Calabar or not, and whether married to non Calabarian or not ,is qualified to hold top positions by virtue of citizenship by heritage.
An individual with maternal Calabarian DNA ,whether born and raised,or married to Calabarian ,is unqualified for top position.
A non Calabarian (male or female) whether born and raised or married to Calabarian is unqualified for top position , due to a likely divorce.

Let's examine a scenario of national interest and loyalty :Akwa ibom state and Cross river state of Nigeria ,whether or not the same ethnicity are economic rivals and both have a common interest in deep seaport .
If given a choice, will an Akwa ibom individual born and raised in Cross river build a seaport at Cross river or Akwa ibom?
If given a choice ,will a Cross river Individual who was neither born nor lived in Cross river build seaport at Cross river or Akwa ibom?
There are numerous scenarios even more crucial than the one described above. For now ,they are both rivals ,unless merged as one state or entity.

Some of you may not comprehend the explanation above. That's why Nigeria is a failed state with porous borders ,no ID database,and no laws,order ,and organization.
All developed society constitutions are composed by wise men who examined every possible present and future scenario .

1 Like

Re: Resident Of A State For 10 Years Should Become Indigene, Says Senate by Nowenuse: 8:57am On Mar 12, 2020
omoharry:

Many of these Western countries you are talking about are nations of immigrants themselves...
As for those who are native countries like those in Europe, people coming in are meant to abide by the laws and societal norms of their new country. They are expected to integrate. ..... Had it been all the ethnic groups/regions in Nigeria had their own autonomy, then this would have made much sense and be possible.

Besides, open your eyes and see that even these Western nation's now have much of their people voting in far right anti immigration political parties because many of them are now becoming tired of the huge influx of immigrants into their countries.

1 Like

Re: Resident Of A State For 10 Years Should Become Indigene, Says Senate by chriscrosss(m): 8:58am On Mar 12, 2020
Amending law to suit them..funny country ...
Re: Resident Of A State For 10 Years Should Become Indigene, Says Senate by 9japride(m): 9:01am On Mar 12, 2020
6digitscomrade:
i will not say I’m ignorant of all u highlighted but change begins with u and I , the government is a reflection of who we are never forget.. I obviously will do different from u going by ur standards and mindset.. u see?? A clash is already established.. it’s beyond political correctness
[color=#006600][/color]

Let them continue. Until herdsmen start making important decisions in your community by then it will be to late to cry. The issue of Nigeria is joining a productive and progressive region with a region that thinks backwardly and wants everyone to remain in their level. With that kind of mindset how do you expect any meaningful change to occur in Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: Resident Of A State For 10 Years Should Become Indigene, Says Senate by Niggmatic: 9:04am On Mar 12, 2020
9japride:
[color=#006600][/color]

It's only a criminal that will like the bill. Your aim is to steal other people's land and heritage. Nigerians will finally get sense soon

You can't have your cake and still eat it grin
Re: Resident Of A State For 10 Years Should Become Indigene, Says Senate by Nowenuse: 9:09am On Mar 12, 2020
omoharry:
I look forward to the day that a Yoruba man will opportune to hold strong political positions in Igbo land and so the igbos in yoruba land. Now if these leaders do exceptionally well and bringing development to that those regions, wont it water down hatred & tribalism they have for each other?
We can never progress in this country until we make peace with our neighbors that equality want peace.I see this collaboration within the south and middle belt.I dont know about the core north..those ones want something else.

Thank you very much for your last sentence.

The truth is for people to integrate well with themselves, they must have similar values and orientation.

Hausa fulanis are the major reason everyone else is complaining about this bill.

We middlebelters and Southerners may have different cultures and languages, but at the end of the day, we have somewhat similar values... We all want education, a good social and economic life and this is why wherever we middlebelters & Southerners find ourselves, we interrelate, socialize and intermarry, irrespective of our differences.
Hausa fulanis are a different ball game! The people they share same values with are Somalians, Chadians, Nigeriens and Sudanese. That is why you see them fighting with everyone else in Nigeria.

I am from Plateau state and over here, Southerners who were born in Jos integrate very well with us, that sometimes you may not even be able to tell who is an indigene and who is not...

I was born and bred in Delta state and if you see me, you will find it hard to believe that I am not a Southerner... Here in Jos, most indingenes think I am a Southerner. Some do not agree even when I tell them the truth... This is because I have strongly been integrated with Delta state life and values.

Hausa fulanis on the other hand never integrate with anyone else .... They live secluded among themselves when they are in the middlebelt & the south... Such a law can never work with them... Rather it is a recipe for disaster.

1 Like

Re: Resident Of A State For 10 Years Should Become Indigene, Says Senate by Niggmatic: 9:09am On Mar 12, 2020
Basher8583:

Hmm this table Senate is rocking hen. They will soon make Igbo extinct as all of them go they bear Yoruba and Hausa indigenship.
But on the flip side Hausa and yorubas in the east would prefer to remain with status quo

That's why I said it's good naa.
One Naijiriya grin
Re: Resident Of A State For 10 Years Should Become Indigene, Says Senate by Niggmatic: 9:10am On Mar 12, 2020
tollyboy5:

we wont accept this nonsense! grin their aim is southwest

One Naijiriya my brother one Naijiriya grin
Re: Resident Of A State For 10 Years Should Become Indigene, Says Senate by Niggmatic: 9:11am On Mar 12, 2020
NairaMaster1:

The people you are thinking will automatically be the beneficiaries because they are business men and pay tax as such. As for the people you are celebrating, they don't pay tax, so, the constitution might be harsh to them.

Na you Sabi oh
One Naijiriya grin
Re: Resident Of A State For 10 Years Should Become Indigene, Says Senate by luluman: 9:23am On Mar 12, 2020
Niggmatic:
Good. Hahaha..
I know some people that will not like this grin

Modified:
9japride my brother, don't be frustrated grin
You can't have your cake and still eat it.

One Naijiriya grin
Foolanis in East can now claim indegenship after 10 years stay. Thank God.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

EFCC Replies "Stay Off Patience Jonathan" Protesters in Port Harcourt (Photos) / Buhari Rocks A Snapback At APC Campaign Rally In Ondo State / Dele Momodu: I Was On The Run From Abacha And Was Granted Asylum In London

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.