Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,808 members, 7,827,974 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 08:29 PM

Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? - Politics (18) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? (26510 Views)

Niger Delta Oil Spills Clean-up Will Take 30 Years, Says UN - Guardian UK (2011) / See How Buhari Was Received In Sudan On His Way To Nigeria From India(photos) / Buhari First Blunder Why I Oppose Relocation Of Military Command-ifeduba (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by Nobody: 1:54am On Jan 04, 2011
tensor777:

Well I still don't get your point of posting here. You say you earn £60,000 per annum then why contemplate leaving that for uncertainty? It makes very little sense. Nobody on this forum of course knows who you really are and what you are driving at.
That notwithstanding Nigeria already has a suerfeit of qualified white collar jobseekers at every level. What the system lacks and desperately needs are creative entrepreneurs and daring investors who are ready to take the bull by the horns and reap the massive returns available in the extant virgin markets.

Each man to his own.

People make decisions based on their preparedness to take the leap . Its their choice, no be so
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by Nobody: 1:58am On Jan 04, 2011
cou-gar:

you completely miss the point! what i am saying here is with a million naira monthly income, he would be able to transform his living standards in the uk to nigeria. utilities like electricity, telephone, internet, security, etc can be bought without really stretching his pocket to the elastic limit. i understand it's not completely possible to do 100% transformation but 80-90% is still okay.
You are just too funny. cheesy grin cheesy. So he would have to transform himself into a mini government in order to get the kind of services  that are taken for granted in the West. All well and good.
I'm just saying that it would be highly unusual for a well-paid professional to leave his supposedly high-flying job and career in the West to hustle for scarce white collar jobs in Nigeria.
It would of couse be different for someone who travelled abroad for a masters degree program on a student visa and has subsequently been unable to secure a graduate level job in the West.
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by mosho4real(m): 2:19pm On Jan 04, 2011
My dear brother please don come to naija to join millions of unemployed graduates here besides no certificate can give u such salary here without being a professional or with so many years experience, just remember dat certificate is just like pure water here in naija and the naija labour market does not have regards 4 certificate mostly so just think twice.
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by beknown(m): 9:41am On Jan 05, 2011
@Poster,

1. It is the right thing to return to Nigeria, you are not mad.

2. Challenges are too many to list, like anywhere else in the world.

3. Jobs? What jobs? There is high unemployment in Nigeria. Your foreign skill and qualification would put you at an advantage over locally qualified but you can create jobs and employ other people. Aim to be an employer, not an employee. You can make more than N2million naira in a month if you pursue entrepreneurship. I am not kidding. You can set up many businesses and run them in parallel in Nigeria. You do not need rigorous permit and registration to operate a viable business in Nigeria. However, be ready with some money to start a business.
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by DeeJay20: 12:23pm On Jan 05, 2011
13550 views and 18 pages later, wow, it goes to show that this topic of relocation is close to peoples heart!!!

MY best advise to Any Nigerian returning to Nigeria from abroad
is make sure your GAME is tight!!!.you have to raise the bar,

Cant go to Nigeria and be average U HAVE TO BRING IT ON!!!
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by DeeJay20: 1:03pm On Jan 05, 2011
cap28:

but you would say that buzugee, what facts are you telling us - that indians and arabs are more proficient at running businesses than nigerians, but that is simply untrue, these parasites are in nigeria simply because the regulatory mechanisms which exist in other countries are virtually non existent in nigeria, these corrupt parasites are attracted to places where they can exploit the indigenous labour force and make an easy buck whilst the compromised "authorities" turn a blind eye.

ROFLMAO!!! This CAP28 guy is the "Truth"..Dude you
hit that one on the head Big Time, Those indians
are just playing the system and the Nigerian Elite allows it because they are getting their own cut, lol!!!
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by Nobody: 1:23pm On Jan 05, 2011
^Now that is yet another boring conspiracy theory! Anyway, to be fair some of these KORA businesses fail at the first hurdle whilst some others thrive .
The main factor is that these guys have the drive the vision and the savoir-faire to succed in the Nigerian busines environment and not any maniacal conspiracy theory.
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by buzugee(m): 3:23pm On Jan 05, 2011
DeeJay20:

ROFLMAO!!! This CAP28 guy is the "Truth"..Dude you
hit that one on the head Big Time, Those indians
are just playing the system and the Nigerian Elite allows it because they are getting their own cut, lol!!!
the blind leading the blind  cheesy nobody is playing the system. what system ? there is no system. its free for all. you have an idea and you implement it as no regulatory body is in place.
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by Nobody: 3:29pm On Jan 05, 2011
buzugee:

the blind leading the blind cheesy nobody is playing the system. what system ? there is no system. its free for all. you have an idea and you implement it as no regulatory body is in place.
Very good question. What system is this DJ guy misyarning about even.? SMH
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by debosky(m): 3:32pm On Jan 05, 2011
Not exactly free for all - once a politician has a stake or wants a stake, your enterprise can be stymied, delayed and destroyed if necessary.

Of course if you're willing to pay up and grease a few palms, you'll have all the freedom you want.
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by buzugee(m): 4:09pm On Jan 05, 2011
debosky:

Not exactly free for all - once a politician has a stake or wants a stake, your enterprise can be stymied, delayed and destroyed if necessary.

Of course if you're willing to pay up and grease a few palms, you'll have all the freedom you want.
i doubt any politician will want any stake in any small business that you set up. area boys ? maybe, but not politicians. politicians go for the big fish like dangote. its free for all in that you can set it up anytime and anywhere. you dont need to jump through numerous regulatory hoops like you do abroad. so yeah, it is free for all.
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by buzugee(m): 4:11pm On Jan 05, 2011
tensor777:

Very good question. What system is this DJ guy misyarning about even.? SMH
dude is just brown-nosing cap28 grin
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by Kobojunkie: 5:04pm On Jan 06, 2011
buzugee:

i doubt any politician will want any stake in any small business that you set up. area boys ? maybe, but not politicians. politicians go for the big fish like dangote. its free for all in that you can set it up anytime and anywhere. you dont need to jump through numerous regulatory hoops like you do abroad. so yeah, it is free for all.

You have not tangled much with any of our local politicians, who, once appointed, start acting at if they are gods over the people, have you?
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by DeeJay20: 5:14pm On Jan 06, 2011
buzugee:

the blind leading the blind  cheesy  nobody is playing the system. what system ? there is no system. its free for all. you have an idea and you implement it as no regulatory body is in place.

Even a Jungle has rules of Engagement, the problem is that most people
in Nigeria fail to realise this, and yes even in Chaotic Nigeria, there are rules
at the top.

Alot of you forget that the country Nigeria is ruled by the military indirectly and these ex-generals who control the economy have studied "Military Intelligence", "The Art of War", "philosophies of control". The indians in Nigeria are playing the same
role in Naija that they are allowed to play in the Middle east and Western Europe,

Order out of Chaos,

What exactly is chaos? The name "chaos theory" comes from the fact that the systems that the theory describes are apparently disordered, but chaos theory is really about finding the underlying order in apparently random events,situations etc.
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by DeeJay20: 5:17pm On Jan 06, 2011
buzugee:

dude is just brown-nosing cap28  grin

That why those on the outside will always look in and exploit Nigeria's Economy,
Dude you need to fix up, i guess u like remaining a "Patsy".
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by buzugee(m): 11:10pm On Jan 06, 2011
DeeJay20:

That why those on the outside will always look in and exploit Nigeria's Economy,
Dude you need to fix up, i guess u like remaining a "Patsy".
did you mean 'pansy' ? better 'fix up' your legibility.
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by buzugee(m): 11:14pm On Jan 06, 2011
DeeJay20:

Even a Jungle has rules of Engagement, the problem is that most people
in Nigeria fail to realise this, and yes even in Chaotic Nigeria, there are rules
at the top.

Alot of you forget that the country Nigeria is ruled by the military indirectly and these ex-generals who control the economy have studied "Military Intelligence", "The Art of War", "philosophies of control". The indians in Nigeria are playing the same
role in Naija that they are allowed to play in the Middle east and Western Europe,

Order out of Chaos,

What exactly is chaos? The name "chaos theory" comes from the fact that the systems that the theory describes are apparently disordered, but chaos theory is really about finding the underlying order in apparently random events,situations etc.
huh ? nigerian generals studied all those books you listed ? shocked how come they cant speak proper english ? gerroutofhere with dat mess
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by buzugee(m): 11:18pm On Jan 06, 2011
Kobojunkie:

You have not tangled much with any of our local politicians, who, once appointed, start acting at if they are gods over the people, have you?
local politicians ? nah i ain tangled with them yet. and the only tangling i will do with them is with a baseball bat to the head if they mess with me. grin crazy azz busters dont know am the wrong nicca to mess with, get hit or get lit by the doctor, a nigga that breaks em off proper. angry
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by Kobojunkie: 11:37pm On Jan 06, 2011
buzugee:

local politicians ? nah i ain tangled with them yet. and the only tangling i will do with them is with a baseball bat to the head if they mess with me. grin crazy azz busters dont know am the wrong nicca to mess with, get hit or get lit by the doctor, a nigga that breaks em off proper. angry

Well, it is always easier to open one's mouth wide when one has little clue what really goes on down there. Those local champion pose the most problems to the average person/business man on the street.
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by buzugee(m): 11:39pm On Jan 06, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Well, it is always easier to open one's mouth wide when one has little clue what really goes on down there. Those local champion pose the most problems to the average person/business man on the street.
all my family members have business in nigeria. no one has been hassled by local politicians.
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by Nobody: 11:47pm On Jan 06, 2011
Kobojunkie:

You've come again with your curious "politicians are extorters" theory. You think that they don't have multiple ways of making money in Nigeria that they should resort to extorting and harassing the small business man.
I personally have never heard of or experienced that.
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by buzugee(m): 11:49pm On Jan 06, 2011
tensor777:

You've come again with your curious "politicians are extorters" theory. You think that they don't have multiple ways of making money in Nigeria that they should resort to extorting and harassing the small business man.
I personally have never heard of or experienced that.
only in kobojunkies mind
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by Kobojunkie: 11:54pm On Jan 06, 2011
buzugee:

all my family members have business in nigeria. no one has been hassled by local politicians.

Well, are they ALL telling you that at no time at all have they had to, say tussle with another businessman who is backed by one or more of the local politicians? They must be one of the lucky ones down there. I mean there are those who do their business quietly and do all they can to avoid stepping on toes, even going as far as to pay EGUNJE to touts/areaboys in the area to ensure they can continue running their businesses in peace. 

My mum had a farm once -- just a small piece of land/farm but a local champion who had land next to hers did all he could to frustrate her out of her land. To make things worse, since she was not an 'ijinle', the men supposed to see to the case were biased against her. Fortunately for her, she was introduced to the Oba's wife who happened to attend the same church as she did back then. The lady intervened and helped get the goon off my mum's back. She eventually sold the land anyways.

The point is, these people exist, even at the local level, and they do frustrate businesses as the other suggested. That you and your family have never experienced it does not in anyway imply they do not exist and so anyone who points out that they do is MAKING IT UP. Such a position is as ridiculous as  claims that all is well in NIgeria if you only believe hard enough that it is. There are lots of video evidence of this online(Youtube), even the latest Louis theroux video on law and disorder Nigeria documents the existence of this problem if you still have no clue what shape this can come in.
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by buzugee(m): 12:03am On Jan 07, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Well, are they ALL telling you that at no time at all have they had to, say tussle with another businessman who is backed by one or more of the local politicians? They must be one of the lucky ones down there. I mean there are those who do their business quietly and do all they can to avoid stepping on toes, even going as far as to pay EGUNJE to touts/areaboys in the area to ensure they can continue running their businesses in peace. 

My mum had a farm once -- just a small piece of land/farm but a local champion who had land next to hers did all he could to frustrate her out of her land. To make things worse, since she was not an 'ijinle', the men supposed to see to the case were biased against her. Fortunately for her, she was introduced to the Oba's wife who happened to attend the same church as she did back then. The lady intervened and helped get the goon off my mum's back. She eventually sold the land anyways.

The point is, these people exist, even at the local level, and they do frustrate businesses as the other suggested. That you and your family have never experienced it does not in anyway imply they do not exist and so anyone who points out that they do is MAKING IT UP. Such a position is as ridiculous as  claims that all is well in NIgeria if you only believe hard enough that it is.  There are lots of video evidence of this online(Youtube), even the latest Louis theroux video on law and disorder Nigeria documents the existence of this problem if you still have no clue what shape this can come in.
touts and area boys ? well if that is an issue i will assume that its in certain areas like oshodi and agege. all my family have businesses in ikeja. nobody hassles anybody for anything. all above board and respectable. having said that, if local politicians hassle you for money, thats not exactly a system. that is simply someone illegally shaking you down for money. totally different from a system put in place to regulate the business atmosphere.
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by Kobojunkie: 12:05am On Jan 07, 2011
buzugee:

touts and area boys ? well if that is an issue i will assume that its in certain areas like oshodi and agege. all my family have businesses in ikeja. nobody hassles anybody for anything. all above board and respectable.

IF? Again, I suggest you get yourself better acquainted with the reality of life in Nigeria, please.
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by buzugee(m): 12:07am On Jan 07, 2011
Kobojunkie:

IF? Again, I suggest you get yourself better acquainted with the reality of life in Nigeria, please.
touts and area boys ? well if that is an issue i will assume that its in certain areas like oshodi and agege. all my family have businesses in ikeja. nobody hassles anybody for anything. all above board and respectable. having said that, if local politicians hassle you for money, thats not exactly a system. that is simply someone illegally shaking you down for money. totally different from a system put in place to regulate the business atmosphere.
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by Kobojunkie: 12:11am On Jan 07, 2011
buzugee:

Now you are just kidding me. I suggest you go back to read your own words and how we came to this. Maybe then you will be better able to explain how what you have above fits in anyway with this.

buzugee:

the blind leading the blind  cheesy nobody is playing the system. what system ? there is no system. its free for all. you have an idea and you implement it as no regulatory body is in place.
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by buzugee(m): 12:18am On Jan 07, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Now you are just kidding me. I suggest you go back to read your own words and how we came to this. Maybe then you will be better able to explain how what you have above fits in anyway with this.

nah i think you are the one who needs to go back and read the whole thing. i have said all along that there is no system. its free for all. if a local politician is shaking you down for cash, that is not a system. thats just a criminal shaking you down for cash. systems are regulatory documents put in place to regulate trade. not some local champion shaking you down for cash on the side. gerrit ?
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by Kobojunkie: 12:19am On Jan 07, 2011
Sigh!
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by debosky(m): 12:22am On Jan 07, 2011
@ buzugee

Quit the ignorant talk - what is a 'system'? It is a whole compounded of several parts or members.

It doesn't have to be comprised of regulations - if you don't play by the system (i.e. bribe the necessary officials) you might have issues importing your goods into Nigeria - that is a manifestation of a system or a way of doing things. Politicians shaking you down is a part of doing business in Nigeria, so that is a part of the system.

They might be primitive, but systems definitely exist.
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by Nobody: 12:24am On Jan 07, 2011
buzugee:

nah i think you are the one who needs to go back and read the whole thing. i have said all along that there is no system. its free for all. if a local politician is shaking you down for cash, that is not a system. thats just a criminal shaking you down for cash. systems are regulatory documents put in place to regulate trade. not some local champion shaking you down for cash on the side. gerrit ?
Another elliptical argument by this kobojunkie lady. Confusing pure criminality with systemic extortion. Anyway it seems this guy harassing her mum is just a violent hooligan that needs to be arrested and  caged by the security forces.
That is all.
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by debosky(m): 12:27am On Jan 07, 2011
^^ Are you implying there isn't systemic extortion in Nigeria?

If you are, what would you call agberos organising themselves to collect money from danfo drivers to fund people like MC Oluomo?

What would you call checkpoints extorting drivers to pass money onto higher police officials?

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (Reply)

N13,500 Pay Threatens Operation Amotekun / Presidency Intervenes In Dokubo-Asari’s Arrest / Ex-Governor Amodu Sherrif's Son's Wedding (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.