Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,441 members, 7,816,004 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:18 PM

Why Do Long Term Relationships Break Up? - Romance (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Why Do Long Term Relationships Break Up? (12682 Views)

How To Understand Guys Who Want Long Term Relationships / Let's Discuss Why Relationships Break Up. . . / Why Many Relationships Break Up Just Before Christmas? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Long Term Relationships Break Up? by 190: 2:59pm On Jan 04, 2011
Most LTR fails cos the guy becomes broke!!

and facebook grin grin grin
Re: Why Do Long Term Relationships Break Up? by Fostercat(m): 3:13pm On Jan 04, 2011
gd answers! cool
Re: Why Do Long Term Relationships Break Up? by mojounited(m): 3:18pm On Jan 04, 2011
sista-jay:

Out grown each other!  angry

Distance!  sad

mojo semi retired!!  grin

Facebook!!  smiley

Hmm angry
Re: Why Do Long Term Relationships Break Up? by alldone(m): 3:28pm On Jan 04, 2011
it is basically diminishing return in commitment that will give room for suspitions.
Re: Why Do Long Term Relationships Break Up? by Xfactoria: 3:34pm On Jan 04, 2011
Johnnny:

Well in my own opinion; long term relationship tends to break due to the following reasons:

1.   Unnecessary family pressure/interferences:   Most long term relationship get broken when the family members (from either of the divide) begins to mount too much pressure on the relationship.  When relationship gets too long family members starts to interfere one way or another and could cause problems.

2.   Too much familiarity:  In most relationships, both couples keeps their weaknesses away from their partners and projects their strengths until marriage. but the longer the relationship lasts the more they let down their guard and starts showing those hidden sides of their life.  The more familiar they get; the less intrigued they will be about each other, they starts getting bored with each other and more skeletons in the cupboard will start becoming exposed and could spark a break in the relationship.

3.   Love lost (Fades):   No matter how docile you may think you are there is that thing that makes you remain a human and that is curiousity.   Many relationships starts with excitement, anxiousness and flair, and so in time love tends to behave like an esposed ice-cream it starts melting away with time and gradually loses its grandeur, interests starts wavering, trying out new things-(curiousity) starts rearing its head.

4.   Unforgiveable mistakes/Occurences:  There are things that are bound to occur in a relationship, and that includes mistakes and misdoings (to err is human), some are easy to forgive and forget and some are very hard to forgive, but are unforgetable, if those later ones happen in a long term relationship before marriage, the couple learns to deal with it or break up especially if it has become a recurrent occurence.

I don try abed1 wink

Spot on!

LTR hardly works. I ended one after 4 years and I'm getting married in February to a lady I met barely a year ago. I know a couple of friends' cases too especially those who started dating from the University days whose relationships never made it to the altar.

The thing is there are certain things that happen in LTR that if the people involved were married, they would have been able to deal with the circumstances very well. The fact that the partners were not married leaves them with an option to opt out and that option seems very attractive especially when there is increasing temptations to try something else. Sometimes, the excuse can be very flimsy, so very flimsy because of over-familiarity!

I advise people not to get into very serious relationships until they are sure that they will be ready for marriage in not more than 2 -3 yrs.
Re: Why Do Long Term Relationships Break Up? by Ranoscky(m): 3:41pm On Jan 04, 2011
Man shall not live by bread alone!
Re: Why Do Long Term Relationships Break Up? by 190: 3:44pm On Jan 04, 2011
^^But by egusi and draw soup as well,
Re: Why Do Long Term Relationships Break Up? by red100(f): 4:23pm On Jan 04, 2011
i show an answer on this topic bad belle people, what belle means?
Re: Why Do Long Term Relationships Break Up? by just1(m): 4:37pm On Jan 04, 2011
@red100, na wa oooo.u no understand 9ja unofficial lingua franca, belle = 'stomach'
Re: Why Do Long Term Relationships Break Up? by red100(f): 4:49pm On Jan 04, 2011
just1 nope i don't grin i a nigerian friend called my friend 'belle' once and she said that it was like a greeting meaning hello, it sounded a bit strange and i remembered that's why i thought to ask. why someone will call somone 'stomach'?a bit wird
Re: Why Do Long Term Relationships Break Up? by queensmith: 5:08pm On Jan 04, 2011
You can grow apart, esp if your young as you start maturing our rquirements change and your partner may not be able to fufil it!
Re: Why Do Long Term Relationships Break Up? by Johnnny(m): 5:27pm On Jan 04, 2011
red100:

i show an answer on this topic bad belle people, what belle means?

The word belle(Pidgin English) when used alone means STOMACH or BELLY. But when used jointly with bad and people as in the phrase "bad belle people" means "HATERS". "Bad belle" on its own means 'WICKED", "EVIL'', or ''JEALOUS''.

So, @red note: It is not a greeting.
Re: Why Do Long Term Relationships Break Up? by dayokanu(m): 5:29pm On Jan 04, 2011
Cos your expectations in a spouse changed.

At an age you want someone who is just fly, later you want someone who is in School, Later you want someone who has a job, later a guy who is responsible.

As these criterias change if the other party cant change and fit in, then Its bound to fail.

More over how can you be eating the same soup for a long time
Re: Why Do Long Term Relationships Break Up? by ZIMDRILL(m): 5:30pm On Jan 04, 2011
whether long or short  they still break up
Re: Why Do Long Term Relationships Break Up? by Plutarch: 5:34pm On Jan 04, 2011
Great questn. Readiness of one party 4 marriage is a factor but not d only reason.
Re: Why Do Long Term Relationships Break Up? by bodiaye: 5:48pm On Jan 04, 2011
I dated my girlfriend(now my wife) for 9 years and we have been married for 4 years now.
Re: Why Do Long Term Relationships Break Up? by red100(f): 6:08pm On Jan 04, 2011
@ johnnny thanks, what means though if someone calls someone 'belle' (the only word used)? unless if she wanted to say bad belle and everybody can understand bad,
Re: Why Do Long Term Relationships Break Up? by Johnnny(m): 6:17pm On Jan 04, 2011
red100:

@ johnnny thanks, what means though if someone calls someone 'belle' (the only word used)? unless if she wanted to say bad belle and everybody can understand bad,

Well in my own opinion, It could probably be used (usually jokingly or mockingly) to address a person if:

1. The person addressed has a pot-bellied type of stomach. and/or

2. The person addressed likes eating food too much.

If not any of the above, then the caller must have his personal meaning for calling someone "belle"
Re: Why Do Long Term Relationships Break Up? by Holla2: 6:18pm On Jan 04, 2011
Most times, partners are exposed to options. They think "only if i've waited a little longer".  If already married, options would still come but its no longer a consideration. And remember that emotions of love is at its peak when the relationship is very fresh.  wink wink
The long standing partner stands a high a risk of becoming "old skool" and "boring" because of the new excitingly tempting experience. grin
Re: Why Do Long Term Relationships Break Up? by MeGaStReEt: 7:16pm On Jan 04, 2011
maasoap:

This is one of the few meaningful posts I've ever seen on NL! Naturally, lovers usually get tired of each other for one reason or the other. And that's why prophet Mohamed (S.A.W.) advised the muslims lovers to tie the knots as quickly as possible and not to waste too much time on courtship.

including 6-12 years old children
Re: Why Do Long Term Relationships Break Up? by Holla2: 7:32pm On Jan 04, 2011
MeGaStReEt:

including 6-12 years old children

Come on, this is off limits for 6-12 years-old
Re: Why Do Long Term Relationships Break Up? by pareto(m): 7:41pm On Jan 04, 2011
-when he/ she feels he/she went into d relatioship too early.

- when ur partner has seen everything about u.

- when the other person has gotten another option.

- believes variety is the spice of life.
Re: Why Do Long Term Relationships Break Up? by Nobody: 9:24pm On Jan 04, 2011
excess of everything is bad
too long relationship= bad bad bad
Re: Why Do Long Term Relationships Break Up? by orgasm(m): 9:33pm On Jan 04, 2011
Longterm break up just the way Short term break up.Breakups do not follow a particular pattern,so kini big deal?angry
Re: Why Do Long Term Relationships Break Up? by orgasm(m): 9:50pm On Jan 04, 2011
Is about being meant for each other or not. Not about long or short term. So to ans ur question,they break up cos they not meant for each other in the first place.
Re: Why Do Long Term Relationships Break Up? by busygirl(f): 10:18pm On Jan 04, 2011
orgasm:

Is about being meant for each other or not. Not about long or short term. So to ans your question,they break up cos they not meant for each other in the first place.
RIGHT ANSWER!
Re: Why Do Long Term Relationships Break Up? by sweetguy10(m): 11:21pm On Jan 04, 2011
orgasm:

Is about being meant for each other or not. Not about long or short term. So to ans your question,they break up cos they not meant for each other in the first place.

Exactly , ! chai you deserve a kiss , this is the right and true answer . if they are truly meant to be together somehow they will go through whatever life throws at them . So be it long relationship or short relationship no definite pattern , break up na break up , I know lots of people that dated for like 8 years and did not end up with each other and I have seen/heard lots that dated from SS3 and still end up marrying themselves. So it's not about how long the relationship is , whatever that is meant to be will surely be . capische ?
Re: Why Do Long Term Relationships Break Up? by Nobody: 2:15am On Jan 05, 2011
@Poster 9/10 it is because of financial or commitment issues (cheating).
Re: Why Do Long Term Relationships Break Up? by henchmark: 2:47am On Jan 05, 2011
op,

please whats ur definition of long term relationship?

some people see 1 year as long term others 5 years and above, where do you stand? any ways if a girl starts dating a guy in her fist year in school and the guy is in his second year , obviously they are in for a longer term relationship and that could end in calimity, cos it would take him over 5 years to actually become a man i.e 4years in school+ 1 year NYSC+ atleast 2years to secure a job and be a bit comfortable=7years

mind you during these period of so called long relationship, a more serious guy, i mean settled( has a good job, a car, a decent apartment,) comes to woo the girlfriend and the supposed boyfriend feels easily intimidated cos he knows he is in trouble most likely and before you know it one friction after another that finally tears the already worn out relationship.

now the answer to you question: do you know its more risky to travel by road than by air? the longer the relationship the more premarital test its been subjected to such as infidelity, the guy goes to camp and is starved of what he is been getting from his chick and he quickly searches for alternative, same with the girl and before long the love btw both of them cools off.
Re: Why Do Long Term Relationships Break Up? by henchmark: 3:04am On Jan 05, 2011
heavenly feeling:

i totally disagreee bro. if your statemnt is true then let us all sit in our different houses, the one meant to be will locate us and we shall have no issues in the relationship.
who is meant to be and who isnt meant to be is dependent on what both parties are looking out for.

the basic reason most relationship crash is some people start dating when they know it will go no where and dont even know what they want. may be for the fun of it i guess.
imagine a girl  18 years dating a guy 21, they both havent written JAMB, nor does the guy see himself been independent in any foreseeable future: a girl 100level the guy guy 200 level,

solution: girls start dating from 23 years of age, guys 26years and/or can fend for yourself. this age range is naija based please and not for muslim ladies please. experience shows that relationship after or during these ages tend to have more success rates, so why start what you will likely not finish? why sell yourself so cheap, devalue yourself. and so on.

its about growing up, matured minds.
Re: Why Do Long Term Relationships Break Up? by kanmiariyo(m): 4:19am On Jan 05, 2011
Set your priorities right and be focussed,some pple want to eat their cake at the same time have, its not possible.Most long time relationship break up as a result of selfish interests,if u break up because a relationship is long,wat will happen after u r married. I dated my wife for almost five yrs before we got married and we have been happy ever since,just define ur terms n know wat u want 4rm the relationship
Re: Why Do Long Term Relationships Break Up? by san26dy(f): 6:11am On Jan 05, 2011
@ Op
they become bored, not exciting,
then one cheats on the other,

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

When You Leave Her House After 2 Hours Of Kissing. / I'm Contemplating Removing My Waist Beads. I Need Your Opinions. Pics Of Me With / Abobaku Of Ife Who Has Been Missing For 3 Days Found Chilling In London *PICTURE

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.