Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,704 members, 7,831,208 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 03:31 PM

Mathematics Give Away Challenge For Geniuses - Education (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Mathematics Give Away Challenge For Geniuses (7867 Views)

Anambra To Host Bossladylaw Business Challenge For Secondary Schools / Mr Shape Mathematics Give Away Saturday August 15 By 9pm / Basic Mathematics Give Away by 8:00pm Monday 10th August (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mathematics Give Away Challenge For Geniuses by Ikennablue(m): 10:16am On Apr 18, 2020
smeag0l:
You cant leave the answer as a function because that is actually not the answer. You have to evaluate it with a program like wolfram alpha. The Lambert W function usually has two solutions for all negative values greater than -1/e. The result is usually a product logarithm and if any of you had left the answer in the form a a product logarithm you would have gotten it. The last four lines of your solution were incorrect while mathslord's solution had the last two lines of his own solution as incorrect.
please can u show the working of the number one question??
Re: Mathematics Give Away Challenge For Geniuses by dprpikin: 10:18am On Apr 18, 2020
Re: Mathematics Give Away Challenge For Geniuses by PERSONALGUY1(m): 10:31am On Apr 18, 2020
Check out my solution

Re: Mathematics Give Away Challenge For Geniuses by PERSONALGUY1(m): 10:40am On Apr 18, 2020
Question 2 solution

Re: Mathematics Give Away Challenge For Geniuses by smeag0l(m): 10:44am On Apr 18, 2020
One of the winners that got half of the answer will post it here.
Ikennablue:
please can u show the working of the number one question??
Re: Mathematics Give Away Challenge For Geniuses by smeag0l(m): 10:46am On Apr 18, 2020
In one of the instructions I posted, I mentioned that you should show the workings.
Ikennablue:
I've not heard of all this wolfram alpha and lambert W function before.
I thought the beauty of mathematics is that you can use any method as far as you arrive at the final answer??
If am in a competition, I only need to look at the number one question to know that x is equal to 2.
Re: Mathematics Give Away Challenge For Geniuses by smeag0l(m): 10:48am On Apr 18, 2020
You didn't mention the use of the wolfram alpha program. Secondly, if you used it as you claim and it gives only one solution then you don't understand what the lambert W function is.
Mathscum:

That's exactly what I did in my solution I evaluated with wolfram alpha it gave me one value.
I am surprised when you say my solution is dubious.
Re: Mathematics Give Away Challenge For Geniuses by smeag0l(m): 10:57am On Apr 18, 2020
On the contrary, numerical approximation methods like newton-raphson will give you the two correct answers(with some help on how continuous monotonic functions work). In my case, I was trying the graphical method and I found the first derivative of the function f(x)=2^2x-8x and equated it to zero to get the value of x which is 1.264. Then I found f(1.264) which gave a negative value of -4.34. This gave me some other information-The function has two roots which lie on the left and right hand side of x=1.264. I also found the y intercept by f(0) which gave 1. I abandoned the more complicated graphical solution in favour of the easier numerical approximation since I have known the nature of the function.The newton-raphson's method gives the two roots i.e x=0.155 and x=2.
dprpikin:

With what you wrote here, it means it cannot be evaluated ordinarily without the use of a computer program. In that case, graphical method remains the easiest way to solve it.
Re: Mathematics Give Away Challenge For Geniuses by Loris576(m): 11:01am On Apr 18, 2020
smeag0l:
I didnt look at it because it was sent in after the challenge had closed.
Ok no problem sir
Just look at it and check if the solution is a good one
Re: Mathematics Give Away Challenge For Geniuses by dprpikin: 11:08am On Apr 18, 2020
smeag0l:
On the contrary, numerical approximation methods like newton-raphson will give you the two correct answers(with some help on how continuous monotonic functions work). In my case, I was trying the graphical method and I found the first derivative of the function f(x)=2^2x-8x and equated it to zero to get the value of x which is 1.264. Then I found f(1.264) which gave a negative value of -4.34. This gave me some other information-The function has two roots which lie on the left and right hand side of x=1.264. I also found the y intercept by f(0) which gave 1. I abandoned the more complicated graphical solution in favour of the easier numerical approximation since I have known the nature of the function.The newton-raphson's method gives the two roots i.e x=0.155 and x=2.

Ok. I'll try the graphical method with the little I know.
Re: Mathematics Give Away Challenge For Geniuses by smeag0l(m): 11:12am On Apr 18, 2020
Better. I'm also completing that graphical solution now and may post it here if people want.
dprpikin:

Ok. I'll try the graphical method with the little I know.
Re: Mathematics Give Away Challenge For Geniuses by dprpikin: 11:18am On Apr 18, 2020
smeag0l:
Better. I'm also completing that graphical solution now and may post it here if people want.

Pls, do post it. Personally, I like to learn, relearn or even unlearn, if the need be.
Re: Mathematics Give Away Challenge For Geniuses by Mrshape: 11:21am On Apr 18, 2020
smeag0l:
I did they graphical to get my solution too.
Because I don't have paid wolfram alpha.,
That's I I got my two values for my solution
The constant value of omega of that function gave one solution.
So I use graph yo evaluate and zoom.
Anyway it was a nice challenge.
What I want to learn from you is how to get the omega value without program
Re: Mathematics Give Away Challenge For Geniuses by smeag0l(m): 11:27am On Apr 18, 2020
Where is the graph?Wolfram alpha is free. There are other tools like mathcad that is not a program but a calculation software you can use to arrive at the answer too.
Mrshape:

I did they graphical to get my solution too.
Because I don't have paid wolfram alpha.,
That's I I got my two values for my solution
The constant value of omega of that function gave one solution.
So I use graph yo evaluate and zoom.
Anyway it was a nice challenge.
What I want to learn from you is how to get the omega value without program
Re: Mathematics Give Away Challenge For Geniuses by DesChyko: 11:28am On Apr 18, 2020
smeag0l:
Your graph isnt correct. The result is a parabolic graph with a y intercept of 1.

Okay. Hopefully we get the graph solution posted too. Thanks.
Re: Mathematics Give Away Challenge For Geniuses by Mrshape: 11:43am On Apr 18, 2020
smeag0l:
Where is the graph?Wolfram alpha is free. There are other tools like mathcad that is not a program but a calculation software you can use to arrive at the answer too.
OK I will send it here
Re: Mathematics Give Away Challenge For Geniuses by smeag0l(m): 12:22pm On Apr 18, 2020
For those of you I have contacted to send your account numbers and haven't sent , I need it urgently as I may be forced to move on to the next fastest person with a correct answer if you don't respond. Please check your emails urgently.
Re: Mathematics Give Away Challenge For Geniuses by Mrshape: 12:34pm On Apr 18, 2020
smeag0l:
For those of you I have contacted to send your account numbers and haven't sent , I need it urgently as I may be forced to move on to the next fastest person with a correct answer if you don't respond. Please check your emails urgently.

Re: Mathematics Give Away Challenge For Geniuses by smeag0l(m): 12:37pm On Apr 18, 2020
This is not it. I'll post it shortly as I have completed the graphical one.[quote author=Mrshape post=88578458][/quote]
Re: Mathematics Give Away Challenge For Geniuses by Mrshape: 12:40pm On Apr 18, 2020
smeag0l:

The last digit 3
I got it by looking and the number of small boxes before the red line I found out is 1/3 of the the line between two thick lines
Re: Mathematics Give Away Challenge For Geniuses by Mrshape: 12:40pm On Apr 18, 2020
smeag0l:
This is not it. I'll post it shortly as I have completed the graphical one.
OK let me see yours
Re: Mathematics Give Away Challenge For Geniuses by Mrshape: 12:43pm On Apr 18, 2020
smeag0l:
I also used this

Re: Mathematics Give Away Challenge For Geniuses by Mrshape: 12:50pm On Apr 18, 2020
smeag0l:
Those are my graphs I used
I will like to see yours
Re: Mathematics Give Away Challenge For Geniuses by smeag0l(m): 1:48pm On Apr 18, 2020
Mrshape:

Those are my graphs I used
I will like to see yours

Re: Mathematics Give Away Challenge For Geniuses by smeag0l(m): 1:51pm On Apr 18, 2020
Yeah, these are used to obtain the zeros of the func4ion before plotting it on a single curve. I have posted the solution here. I will not post the newton-raphson one because I have already said one of the winners will post that.
Mrshape:

I also used this
Re: Mathematics Give Away Challenge For Geniuses by Mrshape: 1:56pm On Apr 18, 2020
[quote author=smeag0l post=88580991][/quote]
Alright but how were you areble to read that graph to 4 dp?
Re: Mathematics Give Away Challenge For Geniuses by Mrshape: 1:59pm On Apr 18, 2020
smeag0l:
Yeah, these are used to obtain the zeros of the func4ion before plotting it on a single curve. I have posted the solution here. I will not post the newton-raphson one because I have already said one of the winners will post that.
Alright let's wait for them,
Although I can do Newton very well.
But I don't usually consider it as a full numerical value
Re: Mathematics Give Away Challenge For Geniuses by Mrshape: 2:01pm On Apr 18, 2020
[quote author=smeag0l post=88580991][/quote]
Snap this paper again it is not clear
Re: Mathematics Give Away Challenge For Geniuses by smeag0l(m): 2:10pm On Apr 18, 2020
Here are the winners and the time stamp showing when they sent in their responses. For those of you that sent me mails twice, I did't pick you because I mentioned earlier that it attracts disqualification. I initially intended to pick 5 winners but had to pick one more person.This didnt follow the rule of the fastest but the one who came close to answering question 1.

Re: Mathematics Give Away Challenge For Geniuses by smeag0l(m): 2:11pm On Apr 18, 2020
More....
For those of you who have been credited, you will get a mail from me shortly asking you to post your solutions here. Please do so as it will help others learn.
Thank you.

Re: Mathematics Give Away Challenge For Geniuses by smeag0l(m): 2:16pm On Apr 18, 2020
Cos I already knew the approximate solution, no thanks to numerical methods like Newton-Raphson's
Mrshape:

Alright but how were you areble to read that graph to 4 dp?
Re: Mathematics Give Away Challenge For Geniuses by smeag0l(m): 2:17pm On Apr 18, 2020
That's clear enough.What is it you can't see on it?
Mrshape:

Snap this paper again it is not clear

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Application To The Nigerian Law School- Bar Part One / Admission of nursing students: Official Statement from Maduka University Managem / Letters To The FG & ASUU

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.