Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,321 members, 7,811,947 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:45 AM

Having HIV Is Not A Death Sentence - Health (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Having HIV Is Not A Death Sentence (58851 Views)

The Cure For HIV Is In Nigeria Through Roots And Herbs But People Won't Believe. / HIV Is Real & Pls Always Use Protection / UCH Ibadan, A Death Trap: Official Reply From UCH Management (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Having HIV Is Not A Death Sentence by ohnaigee(m): 6:37am On Apr 18, 2020
@Notyamate @All Hi. very educative post you shared.

However, we all need to understand that viruses have ’strains’ or subtypes. The same way common cold flu & COVID-19 belongs to the family of corona viruses, which also includes the deadly MERS & SARS strains, is the same way there is HIV 1 & HIV 2.

HIV 1 is more virulent, attacks the human immunity more aggressively than HIV 2. If your Aunt didn't get diagnosed with the disease / fall sick for over 5 - 7 years, then she probably contracted HIV 2. Then again, maybe certain blood groups and geneotypes handle the infection better.

So guys, let's all stay safe and Bleep safe: not everyone gets lucky with things like this. Mw, I don't hv Corona or HIV biko, so don't take my word for it lipsrsealed
Re: Having HIV Is Not A Death Sentence by Nobody: 6:46am On Apr 18, 2020
Okay good luck living the rest of this vanity life on drugs. Jesus is my mentor. Bye
Re: Having HIV Is Not A Death Sentence by nairalandbeast1: 6:49am On Apr 18, 2020
Ibrahiimo:
who told you I dislike WOMEN

for your INFORMATION I never despise WOMEN

i grew up with MANY GIRLS.

I just want THEM to CHANGE, have you watch music VIDEOS, see how WOMEN are dancing wearing only PANT and BRA, but check out MEN and you will never see any PART of their BODY, they always wear CLOTHES that cover their BODY.

the QUESTION is, why do WOMEN like exposing their BODY, some even dance NAKED just because of MONEY.

You should go back to kano
Re: Having HIV Is Not A Death Sentence by nairalandbeast1: 6:51am On Apr 18, 2020
DexterousOne:

Women love attention

It's the attention craze that is causing all these

If you did not like attention you won't be here quoting
Re: Having HIV Is Not A Death Sentence by bejick(m): 6:53am On Apr 18, 2020
Hopebringer:
Very true

I dated a hiv positive lady , I am negative, and the relationship was fun

I.left her cause she was insane and a narcissist

angry

how, you knew she was Hiv+ before dating her , did you people have sex ?
Re: Having HIV Is Not A Death Sentence by ceaser: 7:00am On Apr 18, 2020
uckyra:
m'y sis died of this illness, the painful part of it is that my mum n my little sister were the only people that knew about it in the house for Lik this 5years, they kept it away from all of us, what I no about her is that she takes drugs everyday n never happy, what the drugs was for, I never knew, I remember telling her I went to hospital to do HIV test n she ask me why ? I said nothing, truly I just wanted to know, when I finally knew my whole world was shut down, I began to reflect back, I tested everybody in the house, we were all negative, infact I always have the test materials always available in my bag, if my blood sister could have it n I didn't know,anybody could, here most guys will want to bleep any girl they see without checking her HIV status.God help us.

Sorry about the loss.

What happened that you eventually lost her? Going by your narration that she was not happy, did she default the use of her medications or did she stop keeping her clinic appointments?

1 Like

Re: Having HIV Is Not A Death Sentence by ucham: 7:02am On Apr 18, 2020
PureGoldh:
If you are still Single...Abstinence is the best option
This is what I keep saying. Abstain or get married.
Re: Having HIV Is Not A Death Sentence by Hopebringer: 7:03am On Apr 18, 2020
bejick:

how, you knew she was Hiv+ before dating her , did you people have sex ?

We knew way back when

Life separated us we met up again she had changed told me she was raped now hiv positive I still had feelings for her did my research and decided to date her

I loved her so no regrets

We broke up cause she was a raving lunatic angry

1 Like

Re: Having HIV Is Not A Death Sentence by Iceyjayz: 7:03am On Apr 18, 2020
ibkayee:
Oh really? I didn't know
How would you know when you are not a Nigerian.
Re: Having HIV Is Not A Death Sentence by ucham: 7:05am On Apr 18, 2020
To all of you having protected and unprotected sex with anyone other than your wife or husband, you are playing Russian Roulette with your life.

Something must kill a man no mean say make you use your hand kee yourself.
Re: Having HIV Is Not A Death Sentence by ceaser: 7:08am On Apr 18, 2020
HRMK:
WELL SAID!MANY ARE AROUND WITH IT AND DOING FINE!A SERVING SENATOR INCLUSIVE!ITS NOT A DEATH SENTENCE AS LONG AS U KEEP TO UR DRUGS!!

Unfortunately that serving senator has just been placed in a vantage position and given the power to spread this thing generously. Worse still if he is the type that has sworn to make sure as many as possible must be in his shoes by hook or crook, then you can be sure that every dang lady that crosses his path will not escape being laced with the virus. Then the guys that hump those ladies are in trouble; if she decides to have a baby, the baby too is in trouble of being born with the virus.

The senator has the money to lure them to bed, the influence to force those of them that put up some resistance, and the virus to give to them. That is a dangerous corktail.
Re: Having HIV Is Not A Death Sentence by ceaser: 7:11am On Apr 18, 2020
iHateDcrowd:
Okay good luck living the rest of this vanity life on drugs. Jesus is my mentor. Bye

Don't be judgemental. Jesus will likely frown at that.
Re: Having HIV Is Not A Death Sentence by ceaser: 7:15am On Apr 18, 2020
ucham:

This is what I keep saying. Abstain or get married.

Getting married does not guarantee a 100% safety. If one of the partner gets infected thru the various ways available (wrongly or innocently), the other partner is at risk.

What would you say about Health Care Workers who got infected from patients in the line of diligently discharging their duties? D'you want 'em to blame God?

1 Like

Re: Having HIV Is Not A Death Sentence by uckyra: 7:17am On Apr 18, 2020
ceaser:

Sorry about the loss.

What happened that you eventually lost her? Going by your narration that she was not happy, did she default the use of her medications or did she stop keeping her clinic appointments?
should I say she wasn't councilled very well, immediately she got to know, she stopped living, stop taking care of her health, like exposing herself to malaria,though she feed well, took her drugs, she was even buying her own drugs, she doesn't go to hospital, she later got married, gave birth to a child, the marriage n birth things,i think weigh her down too much ,when she has being the breadwinner of her home,though she had a feɗ govt joɓ,we still lost her.

1 Like

Re: Having HIV Is Not A Death Sentence by placeofallure(f): 7:17am On Apr 18, 2020
ibkayee:
Helpful, positive information

Not to be a debbie downer however, but how accessible are these treatments for the average person in Nigeria? It isn't a death sentence when you have access to a certain quality of healthcare

Very accessible.

Until I saw comments here, I don't know that people are still this afraid of HIV. I have a first hand knowledge about it. I know a lot of people who are infected and are doing fine, not just fine but very fine. The drugs are available and not scarce. I have worked as a volunteer worker with several HIV related NGOs. We do a lot of workshops, research and training and we mingle freely with people who have it. You won't even know unless somebody tells you, they're good looking, decent, everyday people.

If you have it, you can give birth to normal, healthy children. There's an intervention they call PMTCT, prevention of mother to child transmission. This ensures you have healthy babies. Just use your drugs. That's the only hard thing about HIV, having to use drugs all the time. Once you do that, you're as healthy as the next bloke beside you, if not healthier. Even people with HBP too do use drugs all the time. Certainly to be a PLWHA (person living with HIV/AIDS) is not the end of the world. There are worse diseases like kidney failure, cancer, hypertension, Ebola and the likes. Stay safe!

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Having HIV Is Not A Death Sentence by hahn(m): 7:20am On Apr 18, 2020
Abi mama go play away match?

Re: Having HIV Is Not A Death Sentence by Tookool(m): 7:32am On Apr 18, 2020
We now have bottles that contain 90tabs or even more
Re: Having HIV Is Not A Death Sentence by Stonecoldstare1: 7:50am On Apr 18, 2020
Lamanii22:
This should mame front page cause TBH whenever I see HIV I think of death lol... Like it's equivalent to death....
Lol, no it's not. He actually forgot to add U=U which means undetected=untransmittable so an HIV person that's undetected can live a normal life and go on to have children via the traditional way. It all depends on how consistent the person is with his meds. I have a + neighbor and I swear you won't even know she has it, the only difference between a + and a - person is a pill a day and nothing else and they are kinda at an advantage because the virus has given them an avenue to take the drug which boosts up the immune system whereas we negatives immune system's dies off as we age

1 Like

Re: Having HIV Is Not A Death Sentence by Stonecoldstare1: 7:58am On Apr 18, 2020
ohnaigee:
@Notyamate @All Hi. very educative post you shared.

However, we all need to understand that viruses have ’strains’ or subtypes. The same way common cold flu & COVID-19 belongs to the family of corona viruses, which also includes the deadly MERS & SARS strains, is the same way there is HIV 1 & HIV 2.

HIV 1 is more virulent, attacks the human immunity more aggressively than HIV 2. If your Aunt didn't get diagnosed with the disease / fall sick for over 5 - 7 years, then she probably contracted HIV 2. Then again, maybe certain blood groups and geneotypes handle the infection better.

So guys, let's all stay safe and Bleep safe: not everyone gets lucky with things like this. Mw, I don't hv Corona or HIV biko, so don't take my word for it lipsrsealed
According to statistics, HIV 2 is more common in west Africa so it's completely obvious she contracted HIV 2
Re: Having HIV Is Not A Death Sentence by Eaglefine(f): 7:58am On Apr 18, 2020
good info
Re: Having HIV Is Not A Death Sentence by Bianda24: 7:58am On Apr 18, 2020
Thanks for the information
Re: Having HIV Is Not A Death Sentence by Stonecoldstare1: 8:08am On Apr 18, 2020
ceaser:

CML patients, Diabetics, hypertensives, sickle cell px and a lot of peeps with chronic illnesses take medications every blessed day. So also there are birth control pills that are taken daily.

In fact, there is now an FDA approved drug for HIV that is one monthly injectible. You get the injection once a month, so you're saved the daily routine of oral medications.

In case you have reservations about that too, know that there are diabetics that take insulin injection every blessed day. Also there are women that take monthly injections for contraception.
Preach, say it louder for those at the back. My mum has a kidney problem that weighs her down, it has made her dread life so much, she looks so lean and pale and the drugs are super expensive, when she sees our HIV positive neighbor, she wishes she had HIV than this hellish kidney problem because of how normal and energetic our neighbor looks.
People still think HIV is a death sentence no matter how one even tries to educate them, they still remain ignorant. I just laugh and let them wallow in it
Re: Having HIV Is Not A Death Sentence by Dnonso22: 8:08am On Apr 18, 2020
This is awesome!!! Thank you for sharing this, I believe many can understand and say no to stigmatization..

It’s only an ignorant fellow can say that Disease pass Disease but I can tell you that” There is nothing like Disease pass Disease, just keep praying that the worst of that little disease you think don’t come to you....

I have seen people struggled to death with Cerebral Malaria., and I have seen stage 3 Ovarian cancer survive and happy now... So life is deeper than what you think, it’s about Mercy and Grace from God...

People suffer different things at different stages in life, I’m a physiotherapist by profession.. but I have a personal disorder that I have accepted and struggling to correct till date,even though am conscious...Wish we have a good rehab homes here, I’ll just enroll myself to be corrected of addictions...Please, kindly share thought with me on “ how I can correct my betting addictions” this shit is killing me slowly than any sickness or disease can... Thank you!
Re: Having HIV Is Not A Death Sentence by ghettochild(m): 8:27am On Apr 18, 2020
Notyamate:
Going through this thread https://www.nairaland.com/5795526/how-found-out-hiv-positive/1 I went through comments and I laugh at the ignorance of some people on Nairaland. I'm sharing this story to people living with HIV reading this, you are not alone. Believe me there are many people out there with this disease, some happily married, growing old and having healthy kids.

On April 2013 my aunt got diagnosed with HIV at Catholic Hospital, Oluyoro. If you stay in Ibadan you'll know this hospital. She was 58 years at the time of her diagnosis. Before she was diagnosed she was getting sick and having symptoms like cold, head ache, sweating at night, and insomnia. We were worried because this is a person that hardly get sick, so we took her to a private hospital where the doctor told us she has typhoid. She was on drip for two days before discharge after that she was fine again. Not until 3 months later she started having those symptoms again, we didn't count it as anything and took her to that same hospital where she was given drips again. After the drips she was fine again.

The last straw was when she started vomiting and fainted on me, I was the only one at home that day. I performed CPR on her and then I decided to take her to a general hospital where proper medical examination can be done on her.

When we got there we queue, collect card and wait for doctor to attend to us. The doctor ask us some questions and the symptoms she has been having and for how long. After that the doctor directed us to where a nurse collected samples of her blood and we waited for the result.

When the doctor said she has HIV I couldn't believe my ears, all blood drained from my body and I was shaking. It was the last thing I expected because this was a person whose last born was 19years at the time. After she was diagnosed the doctor gave her drugs, she started explaining how to take the drug and how taking it everyday without missing a dose is important.

Our journey back home was quiet, I was thinking throughout, how did this happen? When we got home we meet my uncle (her husband) and we told her everything the doctor said. Everybody was just looking at one another, thinking 'we all don get HIV'.

The next morning my uncle took us all to the hospital to get tested and to know who and who have the disease. After going through the hospital routine our results came out. We were all tested negative including her husband, which brings all of us to ask, how did she get it? Till today no one knows. Her doctor says she has been living with it for over 5 years and none of us know including her.

My observations in her years of taking ARV drugs.

As I said earlier she was very sick when I took her to the hospital. Her CD4 count was 194, way too low. Normal CD4 count is from 500 to 1400. CD4 count is a test that measures how many CD4 cells you have in your blood. Low CD4 count means your body can't fight bacteria, viruses, and other invading germs.

Three months into the drugs she was tested again and her count was 242, another 3 months and it was 269.

She has been getting tested every six months and in the last five years her CD4 count has being between 340-390 and she hasn't suffer any illness whatsoever. Except for the drugs she's taken you won't know she has HIV.

How the drug is taken.

The drug is taken once in a day. It is left for you to decide when you want to take it but once you chose, you must be consistent with the time when you take the next dose so that it will be the exact time everyday. Doctors usually advise patients to take the drug at night because of the side effects which includes drowsiness and dizziness. The drug is taken 2 hrs after eating. When I asked the doctor why she said something about pepper and oil reacting with the drug.

The ARV drugs is free if you go to general hospital. The bottle contains 30 tablets to be complete in a month.

Important things you can do as an HIV person.

1. Avoid drinking alcohol/smoking as this can compromise your health condition. This is really very important.

2. Eat good and healthy food.

3. Exercise.

4. Eat a lot of fruit: her doctor emphasize on this. It doesn't have to be expensive, you can buy oranges, mangoes, bananas, watermelons and other cheap fruits.

5. Take your drug daily: This is very important even if you forget to take it at the usual time, just take it whenever you remember. Like let's say you normally take the drug at 9pm but then you forgot or you slept off. When you wake up just take it. DO NOT MISS A DOSE.

6. If you feel or have any changes in your body. Go to your doctor and explain to him/her. I'm saying this because after few months of taken her drug she was coughing persistently, her doctor had to give her some cough medicine. Although she's not using any cough medicine again as all symptoms has gone. Only the ARV drug and septrin.

The side effect of ARV drugs

The first month she started the drugs she complains of having nightmares, fatigue, headache, and dizziness but with time her body adapted to it and all the symptoms disappeared.

Having a strong immunity also plays important role in an HIV person. I think those with genotype AA tends to adapt well with HIV which explains why none of us know she has the virus in her body for over five years.

All I'm trying to get to is that having HIV is not the end of the world, it's not a death sentence. What kills most of these people is the fear and stigma from friends and family.

When people tell you they have HIV, do not run away from them like they are plague or some kind of viral infection. Love them, support them, play with them, laugh with them. You cannot contract the disease by playing with them, eating together, sharing cutleries, handshakes, hugs, etc.

In the end we are all going to die whether today or tomorrow, accident happens everyday. People slumps and die, people drown, fire accident happens, building collapse. I mean there are 1000 ways to die.

Those that you think they will die today, you may die before them. When it is your TIME, it is your TIME.
Op, how bout people with AS genotypes??
Re: Having HIV Is Not A Death Sentence by Taywon: 8:29am On Apr 18, 2020
HIV
fear the CARRIER than the disease!!!
Re: Having HIV Is Not A Death Sentence by doggedfighter(f): 8:36am On Apr 18, 2020
merahki:

I posted this exact thing
Her posts can numb the mind lipsrsealed
To think she has wisdom in her monicker. Irony !!

1 Like

Re: Having HIV Is Not A Death Sentence by KLand(m): 8:39am On Apr 18, 2020
Very educative. Thanks for sharing.
Re: Having HIV Is Not A Death Sentence by perryy(m): 8:40am On Apr 18, 2020
Ogbeni, that your auntie has no HIV. The so called HIV drugs are general macrobicides that kills any bacteria, or fungi irrespective of the nature. Someone has HIV, she has been making love with her husband for over 5 years , yet the husband wasn't infected . Hahahaha. What manner of HIV was that ? If that is the case , it means HIV is not sexually transmitted. Forget about discordant couple balderdash, many HIV positive people I've met always have a negative partners! What is the reason for the discordance? Any scientific reason given so far ?

Truth is , your auntie had some ailments either caused by bacteria or fungi which the Dr couldn't really find out the cause . So, when she tested positive to HIV antibody, the whole blame was put on HIV as the cause. The anti body she tested positive to is not perculiar to HIV, malaria, pregnancy, and sixty other conditions could make the body produce the anti body which they call HIV ant body . Some anti HIV scientists conducted a test in a remote village in Japan where no contact has been made with people outside the community, some of them were found to be positive. Where did they get it from ? Some blood samples taken during the second world war were tested for HIV antibody, some of them came out positive. Do you know the meaning of that ? It means HIV has been in existence before man even discovered it. Now, if that is the case , by now more than half of world population would have been HIV positive and since the drugs were only made in the 20th century, the virus would have wiped out more than half of human race before the drugs were made. But did we have something like that ? No. HIV=Aids is a hoax . A virus is not a living thing hence incapable of mutation, if it gets into your body it either kill you in a short time or your body fights it off and you regain your health. It won't remain idle for years and woke up all of a sudden after 5-10 years. That is not a characteristic of a virus and don't let WHO tell you otherwise. I know someone who has been HIV positive for over 15 years , he smokes , drinks and do hard labour without taking any ARV, yet no sickness. On this same naira land , a guy posted last time that he was sleeping around with random ladies and he suddenly developed some symptoms which look like those of HIV , he went to a teaching hospital where tests were run but it turned out negative! What could be the cause of those symptoms? Some other people would have those symptoms and test positive, depending on the genotype or blood group . Imagine if he had tested positive to HIV, he would have been treated for HIV. As at the time the guy posted the information on naira land , the Dr has not been able to determine what was wrong with him so the guy came here to seek for help. Imagine if he had tested positive? May God open our eyes. Watch videos on YouTube and do more readings about this.

1 Like

Re: Having HIV Is Not A Death Sentence by DominicOwoidoho: 8:47am On Apr 18, 2020
Good information.
Re: Having HIV Is Not A Death Sentence by 1EmmyKay: 8:50am On Apr 18, 2020
Its literally not a death sentence. I know of someone who is HIV positive for close to 10yrs now. And she's fine living happily with her family.
She takes her drug at her stipulated time and goes for checkup every 2Months.
Re: Having HIV Is Not A Death Sentence by peaceful27: 8:51am On Apr 18, 2020
HIV is not a virus but low immune system ,if you can build your immune system with natural foods,fruits and vegetables, you will be ok

1 Like

Re: Having HIV Is Not A Death Sentence by ArticleBeast: 8:57am On Apr 18, 2020
Seunaj05:
If she could carry it for 5 years unnoticed, it means that there are many positive patients walking about unaware of it. Practice save sex if you cannot abstain.
I doubt the 5 years part tho.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Average Nigerian Height (Nigerian Males - Africa's Shortest?) / Meron Benti: This 'White Woman' Is Actually An Ethiopian Albino / Grandmother, Mother, Baby Die In Lagos After Delivery, Doctor Flees

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.