Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,495 members, 7,823,158 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:59 AM

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 - Travel (59) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 (1095539 Views)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 6 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 5 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (56) (57) (58) (59) (60) (61) (62) ... (721) (Go Down)

Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 by bisi16(m): 3:08pm On Jun 03, 2020
Good day justwise, lagosismyhome, mimilyrics anyone who can respond.

Plz help clarify this for me.

I'll be staying at one of my siblings place through my msc. Will i still need to have living expenses along with tuition before applying for visa?

Thanks.
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 by LagosismyHome(f): 3:12pm On Jun 03, 2020
beautyfoch:

Wow...This is serious cool

If the Old 2 years PSW didn't count towards towards a 5 years work visa path to ILR, how did people then make up for the 5years.
Did they apply for further studies? Or did they get a job with an employer willing to sponsor them?

Any idea?

They hussle to get Tier 2 or something after but yes PSW was no magic bullet. Several people had to go home after PSW ended .... but it worked out for many as well. Especially when there was Hsmp. People switched to hsmp or tier 2

1 Like

Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 by mimilyrics: 3:14pm On Jun 03, 2020
True!

LagosismyHome:

The old post study was for 2 years and always covered dependents which allowed both parties to do any job and no hours limit.

However those 2 years while you can use it to work , didn't count towards a 5 years work Visa path to ILR (indefinite leave to remain) then to british citizenship. It could be use for 10 years path to ILR but not the 5 years path
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 by LagosismyHome(f): 3:14pm On Jun 03, 2020
bisi16:

I'll be staying at one of my siblings place through my msc. Will i still need to have living expenses along with tuition before applying for visa?

Thanks.

This is absolutely fine for an after arrangement... but you need to cross the before to get to after. The before rule states you have to show school fees and maintenance amount for 28 days

2 Likes

Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 by mimilyrics: 3:16pm On Jun 03, 2020
No matter what living arrangements you have in the UK, you have to show the required maintenance funds + tuition to get a T4 visa.

bisi16:

Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 by beautyfoch: 3:19pm On Jun 03, 2020
LagosismyHome:

They hussle to get Tier 2 or something after but yes PSW was no magic bullet. Several people had to go home after PSW ended .... but it worked out for many as well. Especially when there was Hsmp. People switched to hsmp or tier 2

Interesting... Man "gat" to hustle and pray cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 by mimilyrics: 3:22pm On Jun 03, 2020
You can only get 5 years using time spent continuously on one visa (I.e Tier 2, Tier 1, Spouse), not a combination of time spent on different visas. Edit: This is with the exception of the T1 and T2 which can be combined for the 5-year route).
The combination of time spent on different visas can be used for the 10 year route.

The time spent studying doesn't apply to the 5 year route but can be used in combination with time spent on other visas for the 10 year route.

There's is also a cap on the number of years that an international student can study in the UK for. So even if an individual continuously studies for, let's say, 7 years (BSc + MSc + PhD), he/she will be not be able to count years spent on T4/PSW towards ILR except they switch to another applicable visa category while still holding a valid leave.

beautyfoch:

Wow...This is serious shocked

If the Old 2 years PSW didn't count towards towards a 5 years work visa path to ILR, how did people then make up for the 5years.
Did they apply for further studies? Or did they get a job with an employer willing to sponsor them?

Any idea?

1 Like

Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 by Mikeval001: 3:41pm On Jun 03, 2020
I got this information from my family traveling agent today.

Cigbojugha:
u

Thanks for the info but is it official? Where can we read up this information.
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 by mercyp001(f): 4:16pm On Jun 03, 2020
Pls, can a fiance be filled as a dependant?
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 by bisi16(m): 4:36pm On Jun 03, 2020
mimilyrics:
No matter what living arrangements you have in the UK, you have to show the required maintenance funds + tuition to get a T4 visa.

LagosismyHome:

This is absolutely fine for an after arrangement... but you need to cross the before to get to after. The before rule states you have to show school fees and maintenance amount for 28 days

Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 by mattfeuter(m): 4:39pm On Jun 03, 2020
LagosismyHome:

In the UK..... if you have a valid work visa after 5 years you can apply for ILR and then a year later you can apply for British citizenship (aka freedom cheesy) . Work visa such as hsmp. Tier 2, entrepreneur had that 5 years path to ILR.....

However that two years spent on post study. while you might be working even a correct job. It wont count towards the 5 years. So after the PSW you would need something ie tier 2 that would give you ILR after 5 years .

some students try to find job that can do Tier 2 straight away after graduation instead of PSW so the 5 years can start counting , but if not possible then the 2 year PSW can be used and then on to Tier 2 or something

Then regarding 10 years pathway but that usually for people who maybe been here from Undergrad. If you stayed in the UK legally for 10 years then there a path to ILR and if part of that 10 years was spent on PSW that was fine and counted

Thanks for this piece. . . But I want to ask, what happens if you are on a PSW visa after study and let’s say after a year, you get a good job.

1. Do you switch the Psw to a Tier 2?

2. Will the one year already spent on PSW Visa count towards ILR?
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 by mimilyrics: 4:44pm On Jun 03, 2020
1. Yes, you switch to a Tier 2 visa.
2. No, time spent on PSW will not count towards ILR since the Tier 2 visa will qualify you for ILR after 5 years on it. You have to be on the Tier 2 visa for 5 years to qualify for ILR.

mattfeuter:

Thanks for this piece. . . But I want to ask, what happens if you are on a PSW visa after study and let’s say after a year, you get a good job.

1 Like

Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 by mattfeuter(m): 4:45pm On Jun 03, 2020
mimilyrics:
1. Yes, you switch to a Tier 2 visa.
2. No, time spent on PSW will not count towards ILR since the Tier 2 visa will qualify you for ILR after 5 years on it. You have to be on the Tier 2 visa for 5 years to qualify for ILR.

Hmmm, makes sense. . . Many thanks
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 by mimilyrics: 4:48pm On Jun 03, 2020
Yes but it might be tough for an application from Nigeria because you'd need to prove this through joint bills, bank statements, tenancy agreements, joint investments and other documents as you would for a married partner and this should span a period of 2 years.
You have to show ample and irrefutable evidence of cohabitation and genuine relationship with your partner for at least 2 years.

mercyp001:
Pls, can a fiance be filled as a dependant?
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 by LagosismyHome(f): 4:55pm On Jun 03, 2020
mattfeuter:

Note I am talking about how it was in the past, so until home office publishes the new scheme . We cannot tell if it is identical to how it was before

No time spent while on PSW will count towards 5 years. ...at anytime during your PSW if an employer want to file Tier 2 then you can switch and your 5 years start counting when you switch .

During your PSW you can switch once you find that opportunity to switch or you can stay complete your 2 years and then switch. In the past there wasnt any rule for or against. It was all depending on what opportunity was on your table

4 Likes

Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 by toyclicks: 5:02pm On Jun 03, 2020
Salford AMA session is live right now

Check and join on their FB page
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 by Nadheer15: 5:11pm On Jun 03, 2020
Hi,

My tuition was £21500 and £3225 was deducted, can I pay part payments for the school fees? Would it hinder me from getting Visa or even studying in the school?

Thanks
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 by mimilyrics: 5:15pm On Jun 03, 2020
As long as you've paid any required deposit to your school and you're able to show the balance in your account for the required duration, it won't be a cause to refuse your application. Normally, schools show the amount you've paid + any scholarships awarded + any outstanding balance on your CAS.
You can decide to pay part or all of your fees before your visa application if you wish but make sure that you understand your school's refund policy incase you change your mind or something else crops up.

Nadheer15:
Hi,

My tuition was £21500 and £3225 was deducted, can I pay part payments for the school fees? Would it hinder me from getting Visa or even studying in the school?

Thanks

1 Like

Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 by Bourne007(m): 6:14pm On Jun 03, 2020
One can actually combine tier 1 and tier 2 towards 5-year route leading to ILR

mimilyrics:
You can only get 5 years using time spent continuously on one visa (I.e Tier 2, Tier 1, Spouse), not a combination of time spent on different visas. The combination of time spent on different visas can be used for the 10 year route.

The time spent studying doesn't apply to the 5 year route but can be used in combination with time spent on other visas for the 10 year route.

There's is also a cap on the number of years that an international student can study in the UK for. So even if an individual continuously studies for, let's say, 7 years (BSc + MSc + PhD), he/she will be not be able to count years spent on T4/PSW towards ILR except they switch to another applicable visa category while still holding a valid leave.

2 Likes

Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 by pittoilet(f): 6:16pm On Jun 03, 2020
I joined bournemouth uni's virtual tour and I was able to pick these up and I thought I could share and might be useful.

1 Like

Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 by FraudMan: 6:18pm On Jun 03, 2020
mimilyrics:
Yes but it might be tough for an application from Nigeria because you'd need to prove this through joint bills, bank statements, tenancy agreements, joint investments and other documents as you would for a married partner and this should span a period of 2.
You have to show ample and irrefutable evidence of cohabitation and genuine relationship with your partner for at least 2 years.

Is there a rule/law backing the stated period? Newly weds can’t list their partners as dependants?
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 by mattfeuter(m): 6:21pm On Jun 03, 2020
LagosismyHome:

Note I am talking about how it was in the past, so until home office publishes the new scheme . We cannot tell if it is identical to how it was before

No time spent while on PSW will count towards 5 years. ...at anytime during your PSW if an employer want to file Tier 2 then you can switch and your 5 years start counting when you switch .

During your PSW you can switch once you find that opportunity to switch or you can stay complete your 2 years and then switch. In the past there wasnt any rule for or against. It was all depending on what opportunity was on your table

Thanks
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 by mercyp001(f): 6:33pm On Jun 03, 2020
mimilyrics:
Yes but it might be tough for an application from Nigeria because you'd need to prove this through joint bills, bank statements, tenancy agreements, joint investments and other documents as you would for a married partner and this should span a period of 2.

Thanks so much sir.
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 by mimilyrics: 6:43pm On Jun 03, 2020
Thanks for pointing that out. #BigHug That was an error as a result of lumping the 3 categories together. Meant to include info on the T1 and T2 as an addendum for anyone willing to invest the requested sum for some of the T1 tracks.
Let me go add that now.

Bourne007:
One can actually combine tier 1 and tier 2 towards 5-year route leading to ILR

1 Like

Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 by mimilyrics: 6:50pm On Jun 03, 2020
The poster asked about adding a fiance as a dependant so I only included info on that.
The standard rule is for 2 years evidence of cohabitation and a genuine relationship but it's not a one case fits all for married couples.
Newly weds can list their partners as dependants as long as they can prove that the marriage is genuine. I've got cases of people who got their visas even 1-6 months after getting married; they were able to prove the genuineness of their marriage from the different documents/evidence submitted.

FraudMan:

Is there a rule/law backing the stated period? Newly weds can’t list their partners as dependants?
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 by FraudMan: 6:55pm On Jun 03, 2020
mimilyrics:
Yes. The poster asked about add a fiance as a dependant so I only included info on that.
The standard rule is for 2 years evidence of cohabitation but it's not a one case fits all for married couples.
Newly weds can list their partners as dependants as long as they can prove that the marriage is genuine. I've got cases of people who got their visas even 1-6 months after getting married; they were able to prove the genuineness of their marriage from the different documents/evidence submitted.

Noted!
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 by lanrumaster(m): 7:38pm On Jun 03, 2020
Can one still apply and join the September entry applicants with the current pandemic?
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 by mattfeuter(m): 7:44pm On Jun 03, 2020
lanrumaster:
Can one still apply and join the September entry applicants with the current pandemic?

Yup
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 by Mikeval001: 9:30pm On Jun 03, 2020
It seems UK schools are already having greenlight on how academic program will be run for September intake. I personally have gotten a mail from Birmingham City university and USW on how academic activities will be carried out starting from September.

Birmingham City university was more explicit and clear saying most majority of learning will be on campus learning and the school intend to put into consideration social distancing and other measures in place.

This is also similar to what USW said and I noticed someone also talked about the information he/she got from Bournemouth university.

1 Like

Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 by Mikeval001: 9:32pm On Jun 03, 2020
Hi Bleep,
As an applicant to one of our courses, we understand you want to know what the start of your first term at Birmingham City University will look like if you join us for your studies, including how you would be taught and what safety measures we'll have in place.

This is our pledge to our students:

The majority of your scheduled course teaching throughout the 2020/2021 academic year would take place face-to-face on campus. For most courses, this will begin on 21 September 2020. Exact dates for your course would be sent to you if you enrol as a BCU student.
We will offer a flexible arrival across the first four weeks of term for those who need it, with international students allowed to start at any point until the 8th week of term to allow for any quarantine period imposed by the British Government. Should you need to take advantage of this flexible arrival, we will make sure you do not fall behind in your learning by providing you with online teaching which you will need to access at home.
Our focus is on high-quality, small-group (groups averaging 15) teaching in person, with some digitally-enabled content to ensure no student misses any learning.
All on-campus activity will be delivered using all necessary safety measures to keep students and their academic tutors and advisors safe, including social distancing, and use of personal protective equipment, as appropriate.
You would still be able to take advantage of the academic and social opportunities which University life offers – with on-campus spaces made available to clubs, societies and volunteering run by our Students' Union.
You would also have access to a comprehensive programme of individual support provided by a range of student services including the Centre for Academic Success (study skills), Graduate Plus (employability skills), our careers service and our library and learning resources.
Our mental health and wellbeing team, including seconded NHS staff, are here to support you throughout your time with us to ensure you achieve your full potential.

Our amazing National Health Service (NHS) has taken care of people from around the world during this global pandemic and will continue to do so. In addition to support from the University, NHS services are available to both domestic and international students.

You may have heard about international travel measures being introduced by the UK Government. International students should not worry; Government has promised it will work with universities to ensure students are welcomed to the UK and are supported on arrival.

3 Likes

Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 by Nobody: 9:44pm On Jun 03, 2020
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 by justwise(m): 9:56pm On Jun 03, 2020
piazon:
@justwise

Please, I need explicit explanation of the 28 days rule in regards to account statement for UK student visa putting currency instability into consideration.

let say I funded my account yesterday with #5.36M and at yesterday's exchange rate (oanda) at £1 equal to #476 and it was sufficient for my maintance. if tomorrow naira looses value to £1 to #490 and on the day I want to print my statement it went to (£1= #465) . did I meet the requirement as requested by UK embassy?

Yes, but to have peace of mind deposit more so as to take care of exchange rate fluctuation. e.g rather than 476 you round it up 490-500.

Few people have been refused a visa because of exchange rate fluctuation though i have also read from people who was given a visa despite the fact that their money dropped a bit on the day the bank statement was printedout.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (56) (57) (58) (59) (60) (61) (62) ... (721)

General-german-student-visa-enquiries Part 8 / Travelling To Canada Part 7 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.