Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,137 members, 7,818,425 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:12 PM

Post Your Vista Problems Here - Computers (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Post Your Vista Problems Here (23104 Views)

BBM For PC Download, Blackberry Messenger For Windows7/8/vista Computer / Post Your Imac, Macbook And Macbook Pro Problems Here. / Post Your Computer (PC) Troubles Here. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Post Your Vista Problems Here by spaceworld: 7:26am On Jun 14, 2007
tosadex
Pls kindly explain better to me how to go about it, i did the free registration what and what i need to do to be pay kindly send details to my mail box

spaceworld33@yahoo.co.uk, or spaceworld33@gmail.com

thanks
Re: Post Your Vista Problems Here by chrysler(m): 12:04pm On Jun 14, 2007
@bigrovar

i had to check options before getting back to you, i tried downloading the driver you sent to me and it told me it was not compatible with my system, i also tried going through the driver site you suggested and tried the realtek high definition sound drive and it still did not work,

Another thing which i tried was going to the sony site again and downloaded the driver again and also tried installing it and it did not work.

One thing i discovered in all of these is that when people were giving there complaint, most people were complaining about upgrading from either home basic or home premium to vista ultimate and not to vista business like mine

What i think now is that possibly vista business is not compatible with sigmatel high definition sound and realtek as well,

I don`t know what you think about it, i `ll be waiting to hear from you.

What i will be doing for now is keep trying from the driver sites you suggested and see which one is compatible

, waiting to hear frm you soon, thanks
Re: Post Your Vista Problems Here by monade4job(m): 5:03pm On Jun 14, 2007
i need VISTA produck key who can help me out !!!
and i also need job as a computer teacher, computer engineer and also networking engineer
plz give me detail on 08058975431 or mail me on monade20042001@yahoo.co.uk
Re: Post Your Vista Problems Here by bigrovar(m): 1:16am On Jun 15, 2007
monade4job:

i need VISTA produck key who can help me out !!!
and i also need job as a computer teacher, computer engineer and also networking engineer
plz give me detail on 08058975431 or mail me on monade20042001@yahoo.co.uk
am sorry i actually dont give people product keys or look for job for people i just try to help people who are experiencing problems with their vista laptops that is all, ao eva i would look into ur request and c what i can do to help, but no guarantees
Re: Post Your Vista Problems Here by amena(f): 9:22pm On Jun 17, 2007
hello bigrovar
seem to have pro connecting my notebk which uses window vista basic to the internet.
although my phone connection shows connected but still cant browse. yet the same connection works 4 my windows xp.
wat do u think?
Re: Post Your Vista Problems Here by veryv: 4:37am On Jun 18, 2007
HEy I have been facing this COM SURROGATE error for a few days now and i have no clue wht so ever why is it there , anyways if any one else has faced this problem and knows how to fix it , plz lemme know , thanx

Cheers
Very V
Re: Post Your Vista Problems Here by bigrovar(m): 9:00am On Jun 18, 2007
very v:

HEy I have been facing this COM SURROGATE error for a few days now and i have no clue wht so ever why is it there , anyways if any one else has faced this problem and knows how to fix it , plz let me know , thanx

Cheers
Very V

if u read my first post u would have seen that i have adressed the issue, ok let me adress it again, COM SURROGATE ERROR, is caused by the installations of muti codec on ur vista machine, why u may not have installed the codecs urself the installation of 3rd party applications like Nero,Divx player,avid, and some other players installs the codecs in the background and have been known to have caused the problems, the problems usually comes up when u open a folder containing videos,or when u try to play a video file especially an .avi file,
SOLUTION
There are many solutions to the error the first one is to unistall nero from your system, and try to download the latest nero i.e nero v 7.9.6.0 that is the one am currently using and i have no more porblem with comsurroget error.CAUTION if u have dvix installed PLEASE don't uninstall it o just leave it and try and download the latest divx player online just type "latest divx player download" in google and u would see see a link that would direct u to a place to download i would advise u to download from the official divx site. when u download install on the current one u have .that should correct the problem wink.N.B i have both nero and the latest divx but i stay in lagos i dont know were u stay so maybe we might hookup.? call me 08022982697 dont worry its free, smiley

second it as been said that disabling thumbnail in vista should sovle that problem but i would not recommend that since it would remove some of the nice features in the os, but u can try it as a shorterm plan while u download the latest in this applications.

if the above solutions the not work then let me know, we would try something else that works,
amena:

hello bigrovar
seem to have pro connecting my notebk which uses window vista basic to the internet.
although my phone connection shows connected but still can't browse. yet the same connection works 4 my windows xp.
what do u think?

well first of all let me know the kind of internet connection is it through network cable or through wireless,or is it dialup through ur phone like say starcomms or multi links,or is it through ur wireless pcmi card i need to know so that i can tell u what to do,
Re: Post Your Vista Problems Here by bigrovar(m): 9:11am On Jun 18, 2007
Advanced Vista Codec Package description
Vista Codec Package - With this package installed, you shouldn't need to install any other codec or filter
Codecs have always been a big problem for the computer users. That's because there has never been a 100% viable working solution available for the average computer user.

There are several good codec package solutions out there, but none of them did everything I wanted. I was always in need of a tweak, adjustment, or even a reinstallation just to get the codecs I needed/wanted and most of the time, the file still didn't play. I've never claimed to be a media guru. My media experience is to doubleclick a file I downloaded and hope that it plays.

What I do know is how to package software. So I decided to package some codecs and share them with the rest of the world. With this package all possible conflicts are already dealt with. Many user suggested default settings are implemented.

If you have a suggestion of improvement, I'm listening.

It does not contain a media player and it doesn't associates filetypes. With this package installed you will be able to use any media player, limited only by the players' capabilities, to play DVD's, movies and video clips of almost any filetype.

Streaming video is supported in all popular web browsers. By default you won't need to make any adjustments to enjoy a variety of media content immediately.

Users have the ability to choose what is installed using the public redistributable or after an unattended install, you can select to remove specific portions without removing the entire package. Future releases will recognize previous releases and are capable of performing upgrade installations.

YOU MUST UNINSTALL YOUR OLD VERSION

What's New in This Release:

· Fix MP4 playback
· Improve Nero product compatibility
· allow thunbnail views for rmvb,mp4,flv,mov,mkv,more
· remove several redundant files/filters
· Fix DVD Playback in WinXP
· FFDshow updated 1283 unicode
· AC3Filter updated to 1.45b with Language files
· Haali components updated to 1.7.189.11
· MPEG1 files handled by microsoft decoders,
download here http://download.softpedia.ro/dl/d6336509edc09f5ea3e6efba0147fa81/46763bef/100055586/software/MULTIMEDIA/VIDEO/DIVX/VistaCodecs_v446.exe
Re: Post Your Vista Problems Here by bigrovar(m): 9:29am On Jun 18, 2007
chrysler:

@bigrovar

i had to check options before getting back to you, i tried downloading the driver you sent to me and it told me it was not compatible with my system, i also tried going through the driver site you suggested and tried the realtek high definition sound drive and it still did not work,

Another thing which i tried was going to the sony site again and downloaded the driver again and also tried installing it and it did not work.

One thing i discovered in all of these is that when people were giving there complaint, most people were complaining about upgrading from either home basic or home premium to vista ultimate and not to vista business like mine

What i think now is that possibly vista business is not compatible with sigmatel high definition sound and realtek as well,
I don`t know what you think about it, i `ll be waiting to hear from you.

What i will be doing for now is keep trying from the driver sites you suggested and see which one is compatible

, waiting to hear frm you soon, thanks

GEE I WONT BELIEVE THAT I COMPLETELY MISSED UR POS :oT , GUSSH, TO THINK THAT I KEPT ON CHECKING TO SEE IF U HAVE TIRED WHAT I SENT, AM SO SO SORRY, embarassed.YES U ARE RIGHT MOST OF THE ISSUE IS ABOUT PEOPLE TRYING TO UPGRADE TO TO ULTIMATE BUT I TELL U ITS NOT JUST ULTIMATE,EVEN BUSINESS CAUSES THE PROBLEM, WELL U SAID U TRIED THE PROCESS I GAVE U AND IT DID NOT WORK, I BELIEVE U REMEMBERED THE HIBERNATION PART, OK JUST HOLD ON U CONTINUE MY RESEARCH N.B WHICH I STOPPED BCUS I THOUGHT MAYBE U HAVE FOUND UR SOLUTION , AT WORSE U WOULD GO BACK TO HOME PREMIUM,
Re: Post Your Vista Problems Here by dakmanzero(m): 10:05am On Jun 18, 2007
bigrovar

just yesterday a coworker nearly killed me on top that com surrogate issue.

he never had divx anything installed on his machine. he merely had a few divx files sitting on a folder somewhere, that he didnt even know how to play, and whenever vista dexcided to do whatever whatever with them, it would bring up com surrogate error approximate;ly 50 times. deleting all the divx files was the only way out.

do I smell some stealthy DRM shit?

Also, trying to install acrobat reader 8.0 brought up random inexplicable errors, sometimes claiming it was out of space on a drive with over 10gigs free. Solution? download adobe reader 8.1. Also, installing acrobat pro 5 alongside reader 8 caused a host of completely inexplicable problems until we just uninstalled the whole shindig. even sef the macine went bonkers till it was rebooted.

bros. Vista no get am yet o
Re: Post Your Vista Problems Here by bigrovar(m): 3:02pm On Jun 18, 2007
dakmanzero:

bigrovar

just yesterday a coworker nearly killed me on top that com surrogate issue.

he never had divx anything installed on his machine. he merely had a few divx files sitting on a folder somewhere, that he didnt even know how to play, and whenever vista dexcided to do whatever whatever with them, it would bring up com surrogate error approximate;ly 50 times. deleting all the divx files was the only way out.

do I smell some stealthy DRM shit?

Also, trying to install acrobat reader 8.0 brought up random inexplicable errors, sometimes claiming it was out of space on a drive with over 10gigs free. Solution? download adobe reader 8.1. Also, installing acrobat pro 5 alongside reader 8 caused a host of completely inexplicable problems until we just uninstalled the whole shindig. even sef the macine went bonkers till it was rebooted.

bros. Vista no get am yet o

the com surrogate error u encountered is not stealhy drm, rather it is due to the presence of the divx files like i said try googling and find the latest dvix file for download, that should do the trick, about the adobe reader i didnt have any probs installing is on my own vista and i havent met anybody who has, but then i use the v8.0 so maybe the latest version has issues with vista, try googling to find out, agian u can't blame vista for your woes.these is just a case of a 3rd party app developer not doing his home work.and that is not MS fault,
about whether vista no be am or na am, what i would just say is that vista works like a charm for me and 90% of users, the few that have problems are the ones that come here u don't expect a person without a problem to make a post in a forum about vista problems do u,

if am not wrong u are the linux guy right, grin let me tell u a story once upon a time i once toyed with me idea of installing ubuntu on a free system at home, so i set about googling and researching on what to expect from this saintly OS that does no wrong, what i found was startling, the world of linux is like a unorganized barbaric world where anything goes,there is no rule, no regulation,tried finding out if fiesty frown would support my aircard since the maker didnt even bother to create a driver for linux, i was told by by a linuxist that i would have to write a program that would make it work the he gave me like 2 pages of sudo garbage that looked like this
# lspci -vv -s06:00.0
06:00.0 USB Controller: Lucent Microelectronics USS-312 USB Controller (rev 10) (prog-if 10 [OHCI])
Subsystem: Lucent Microelectronics USS-312 USB Controller
Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster- SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
Status: Cap+ 66Mhz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- SERR-
$ cat /proc/bus/usb/devices
T: Bus=04 Lev=00 Prnt=00 Port=00 Cnt=00 Dev#= 1 Spd=12 MxCh= 2
B: Alloc= 0/900 us ( 0%), #Int= 0, #Iso= 0
D: Ver= 1.10 Cls=09(hub ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS= 8 #Cfgs= 1
P: Vendor=0000 ProdID=0000 Rev= 0.00
S: Product=USB OHCI Root Hub
S: SerialNumber=e8987000
C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=40 MxPwr= 0mA
I: If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 1 Cls=09(hub ) Sub=00 Prot=00 Driver=hub
E: Ad=81(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS= 2 Ivl=255ms
T: Bus=04 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=00 Cnt=01 Dev#= 3 Spd=12 MxCh= 0
D: Ver= 1.10 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS=16 #Cfgs= 1
P: Vendor=0f3d ProdID=0112 Rev= 0.01
S: Manufacturer=AirPrime, Incorporated
S: Product=AirPrime CDMA Wireless PC Card
C:* #Ifs= 2 Cfg#= 1 Atr=c0 MxPwr=100mA
I: If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 3 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=ff Prot=ff Driver=serial
E: Ad=81(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS= 16 Ivl=128ms
E: Ad=8a(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 64 Ivl=0ms
E: Ad=0b(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 64 Ivl=0ms
I: If#= 1 Alt= 0 #EPs= 2 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=ff Prot=ff Driver=serial
E: Ad=82(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 64 Ivl=0ms
E: Ad=05(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 64 Ivl=0ms
[remainder of output removed]

Installing the Serial Driver
The Qualcomm MSM chip inside the 5220 emulates two serial ports over its USB interface. Unfortunately, the device does not seem to advertise itself as a generic modem or serial port, so we must specify the vendor and product IDs to the Linux USB serial driver so it will recognize it. This can be done with command-line parameters when the module is installed. This command will immediately install it into your running kernel:

# modprobe usbserial vendor=0xf3d product=0x0112

and appending this line to /etc/modules will cause it to be automatically (re)loaded the next time you reboot:

usbserial vendor=0xf3d product=0x0112

Verify that the usbserial driver found the MSM by looking at /var/log/messages or the output of the dmesg command. It should look something like this:

usb.c: registered new driver serial
usbserial.c: USB Serial support registered for Generic
usbserial.c: Generic converter detected
usbserial.c: Generic converter now attached to ttyUSB0 (or usb/tts/0 for devfs)
usb.c: serial driver claimed interface c55f9a20
usbserial.c: Generic converter detected
usbserial.c: Generic converter now attached to ttyUSB1 (or usb/tts/1 for devfs)
usb.c: serial driver claimed interface c55f9a38
usbserial.c: USB Serial Driver core v1.4

If you are running devfs, the device file system, the character special devices /dev/usb/tts/0 and /dev/usb/tts/1 should now exist. Otherwise you should make the appropriate nodes if they don't already exist:

# mknod /dev/ttyUSB0 c 188 0
# mknod /dev/ttyUSB1 c 188 1

Configuring PPPD
The next step is to set up the Linux PPP daemon pppd. Create the file /etc/ppp/peers/1xevdo with these contents:

-detach
ttyUSB0
debug
noauth
defaultroute
usepeerdns
user your_telephone_number@vzw3g.com
show-password
crtscts
lock
connect '/usr/sbin/chat -v -t3 -f /etc/ppp/peers/1xevdo_chat'

Replace your_telephone_number with your 10-digit Verizon-assigned telephone number that you received with your 5220 card.

Create /etc/ppp/peers/1xevdo_chat with these contents:

'' 'AT'
'OK' 'ATE0V1&F&D2&C1&C2S0=0'
'OK' 'ATE0V1'
'OK' 'ATS7=60'
'OK' 'ATDT#777'

Finally, append this line to /etc/ppp/pap-secrets:

your_telephone_number@vzw3g.com * vzw

again replacing your_telephone_number with the 10-digit telephone number of your 5220 card. (Why an Internet device that cannot make voice calls should require a telephone number is beyond me.)

Just in case it wasn't obvious, we created a PPP dialup account that can be reached by dialing #777 (#PPP) over /dev/ttyUSB0. Your PPP login name is your 10-digit phone number followed by @vzw3g.com and your password is simply vzw.
Trying it all out
You should now be ready to bring up the link. Run the following command:

sudo pppd call 1xevdo

If you succeed in setting up the link, you will see something like this:

$ sudo pppd call 1xevdo
Perms of /dev/ttyUSB0 are ok, no 'mesg n' neccesary.
Serial connection established.
using channel 1
Using interface ppp0
Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyUSB0
sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x0 ]
sent [LCP ConfAck id=0x0 ]
rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
sent [LCP ConfAck id=0x1 ]
rcvd [LCP ConfAck id=0x1 ]
sent [LCP EchoReq id=0x0 magic=0xc57d039a]
sent [CCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x1 ]
rcvd [LCP DiscReq id=0x2 magic=0x32250cdb]
rcvd [LCP EchoRep id=0x0 magic=0x32250cdb c5 7d 03 9a]
rcvd [LCP ProtRej id=0x4 80 fd 01 01 00 0f 1a 04 78 00 18 04 78 00 15 03 2f]
rcvd [IPCP ConfReq id=0x3 ]
sent [IPCP ConfAck id=0x3 ]
rcvd [IPCP ConfRej id=0x1 ]
sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x2 ]
rcvd [IPCP ConfNak id=0x2 ]
sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x3 ]
rcvd [IPCP ConfAck id=0x3 ]
not replacing default route to eth0 [129.46.76.1]
Cannot determine ethernet address for proxy ARP
local IP address 166.154.180.95
remote IP address 66.174.32.27
primary DNS address 66.174.6.7
secondary DNS address 66.174.3.7
Script /etc/ppp/ip-up started (pid 3416)
Script /etc/ppp/ip-up finished (pid 3416), status = 0x0

Because of the -detach flag in /etc/ppp/peers/1xevdo, debug messages will continue to appear in this window. I find this useful to see link status at a glance. Do not hit control-C unless you want to bring down the link. Test it from another shell window:

$ ping 66.174.32.27
PING 66.174.32.27 (66.174.32.27) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 66.174.32.27: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=608 ms
64 bytes from 66.174.32.27: icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=180 ms
64 bytes from 66.174.32.27: icmp_seq=3 ttl=64 time=400 ms
64 bytes from 66.174.32.27: icmp_seq=4 ttl=64 time=190 ms

--- 66.174.32.27 ping statistics ---
4 packets transmitted, 4 received, 0% packet loss, time 3038ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 180.092/344.649/608.135/175.670 ms
$

Success! You should now be on the Internet!

Last modified: 17 Sep 2004, Phil Karn

#
me ? write that i embarassed i was reminded of my dreaded mathematics days and l just freaked out, the same thing if i wanted my system to hibernate,or work with a particular type of driver,things that we take for granted on windows are done through command and geeky codes in ubuntu, i met a guy from the usa while i was burying my eyes in google trying to find anyplace where things was organize and i could learn ubuntu without commands and uncertainty , while we were chating i decided to share my picz with him i completed the necessary process on my Window part of yahoo messenger, when i told him to accept my invitation to view my pictures.he said nothing was on his ubuntu part of the messenger, he pursed for some second and the next i heard from him was "DAMN UBUNTU" , I COULDNT AGREE WITH HIM LESS.
Re: Post Your Vista Problems Here by dakmanzero(m): 6:14pm On Jun 18, 2007
lol

I see u eventually chickened out smiley

Ah well. No wahala there. The person who gave u that load of jargon was just giving you the 'guaranteed to work no matter what' solution, which is something that is not possible on windows. The truth is, if you looked hard enough, you'd find a nice tiny file to download which you would install either by a simple modprobe command, or doubleclicking in gnome.

Why? because someone else would have done the stufff u are so afraid to do, saved the end result and posted it online for free. Thats the world of open source.

Remember I told u at the beginning. Entering the world of linux isnt just putting a new interface on your machine. Its opening a doorway to an inner world of computing, a world where anything is possible, where you have unlimited power over the incredible machine u have on ur desk an take for granted, and have been succesfully conned into thinking is a limited device like a toaster or a fridge that only does what bill or steve jobs says it can do.

Of course there's a learning curve to this, which I also warned u about. I said the lazy and dull need not apply. I'm not a linux evaneglist, Im not one of those that thinks linux should be on everyines pc. Let the lazy ones stick with windows, we dont need them! However if heres someone who i think is smart and would do much better for himself once freed from the shackles of windows, what more can i do than point him in the right direction?

linux gives by far more advanced ways of sharing pictures over the internet than yahoo messenger photo sharing. If you MUST use yahoo messenger, you can even use it, PLUS photo sharing, on Linux! But of course, u need to get a grip on the machine first!

OK, enuff about linux. As per com surrogate, the point is, the explorer still encountered some wahala even though divx was NOT installed. That of course means that something about divx files does npot agree with vista's architecture, soemthing that the divx guys have rushed to fix. Capish?
Re: Post Your Vista Problems Here by bigrovar(m): 8:23pm On Jun 18, 2007
dakmanzero:

lol

I see u eventually chickened out smiley

Ah well. No wahala there. The person who gave u that load of jargon was just giving you the 'guaranteed to work no matter what' solution, which is something that is not possible on windows. The truth is, if you looked hard enough, you'd find a nice tiny file to download which you would install either by a simple modprobe command, or doubleclicking in gnome.

Why? because someone else would have done the stufff u are so afraid to do, saved the end result and posted it online for free. Thats the world of open source.

Remember I told u at the beginning. Entering the world of linux isnt just putting a new interface on your machine. Its opening a doorway to an inner world of computing, a world where anything is possible, where you have unlimited power over the incredible machine u have on your desk an take for granted, and have been succesfully conned into thinking is a limited device like a toaster or a fridge that only does what bill or steve jobs says it can do.

Of course there's a learning curve to this, which I also warned u about. I said the lazy and dull need not apply. I'm not a linux evaneglist, I'm not one of those that thinks linux should be on everyines pc. Let the lazy ones stick with windows, we don't need them! However if heres someone who i think is smart and would do much better for himself once freed from the shackles of windows, what more can i do than point him in the right direction?

linux gives by far more advanced ways of sharing pictures over the internet than yahoo messenger photo sharing. If you MUST use yahoo messenger, you can even use it, PLUS photo sharing, on Linux! But of course, u need to get a grip on the machine first!

OK, enough about linux. As per com surrogate, the point is, the explorer still encountered some wahala even though divx was NOT installed. That of course means that something about divx files does npot agree with vista's architecture, soemthing that the divx guys have rushed to fix. Capish?

u dey shout open source open source , do u know ao many open source programs they are on windows? i guess not, i know of pple u can bend their windows os the way the want all u have to do is do good at registry edit, and comand u will find out that for every appliaction installed 90% of them have a way of making them work thru command prompt or regedit, the windows gui u see is for the people u dont want to know what goes on behind he scene.all they want is what see is what u get applications am a lawyer by profession and i tell u they are enough codes in the Companies and Allied Matters ACT.to keep me busy for a generation ,add that to Evidence ACT ,civil procedure, my time is very limited and the little time i have with my PC i dont want to spend it looking for a 5 page code just bcus i want to make my wireless pcmi card work call me lazy dull but even u ahve to admit that everybody can not be a guru in computer, the air card on my vista works for me like a charm and i dont want to know what codes made that possible, if i wanted to radically alter the function of my pc to my liking i can , but it works for me, computers were suppose to make things better and not complicate them, 90% for poeple dont want to bend their pc, no they just need to browse the web,prepare docments,play games,multimedias,sync with portable device,etc, and with MS u dont need to hacking on codes to do that,
about the com surrogate shit, i know u are hell bent on blaming it on vista, whatever , just try and install the latest divx that would solve the probs. by the way most of the prison break i have in my phone are divx , no problemo
Re: Post Your Vista Problems Here by amena(f): 8:54pm On Jun 18, 2007
well first of all let me know the kind of internet connection is it through network cable or through wireless,or is it dialup through your phone like say starcomms or multi links,or is it through your wireless pcmi card i need to know so that i can tell u what to do,

i used my phone via celtel connection, but its working well with my xp system
Re: Post Your Vista Problems Here by DoubleN(m): 9:52pm On Jun 18, 2007
Bigrovar please i need you help,I use a Hp pavilion dv6000 that came preinstalled with winxp but i really want to upgrade to windows vista.How do i go about it,cos i have installed the vista upgrade advisor and it showed me that some of my hardware will not work like my camera and bluetooth.I want to purchase an original copy and upgrade.Please help me. N.B The laptop is rated vista capable.
Re: Post Your Vista Problems Here by DoubleN(m): 10:24pm On Jun 18, 2007
Pls Bigrovar and fellow nairalanders i have a hp pavilion dv6000,that came preinstalled with win xp but i want to upgrade to vista.how do i go about it cos i installed vista upgrade advisor and it showed me that some of my hardware will not work like my bluetooth and camera.Please help me on what to do to upgrade cos the system has a vista capable logo.
Re: Post Your Vista Problems Here by amena(f): 12:16am On Jun 19, 2007
amena:

well first of all let me know the kind of internet connection is it through network cable or through wireless,or is it dialup through your phone like say starcomms or multi links,or is it through your wireless pcmi card i need to know so that i can tell u what to do,

Re: Post Your Vista Problems Here by dakmanzero(m): 8:28am On Jun 19, 2007
hmmm bigrovar, u watch prison break! I have season 1 but never got around to watching it. I think I'll start after season 1 of 24.

Blaming com surrogate on vista? Why not? It doesnt happen on XP smiley Afterall you are blaming ubuntu for not supporting your old computer's aircard! I'm willing to bet vista doesnt even run on that old computer[b] at all[/b]! If you tried ubuntu on your vista PC I'm sure it would detect everything[b] no sweat![/b]

Nah, I'm not calling you lazy and dull. If I thought you were, I would never have recommended linux to you. I would in fact have told u to stay away from it! The fact that I recommended Linux to u means I think u can handle it! U just need to chill out a bit. I'm patient with you cos your reaction is very similar to mine when I first started with Linux! If you hear some of the things I used to say in the linux vs windows arguments, and Redhat 7.2 of those days was indeed a total nightmare! cheesy

You drive, don't you? Despite the enormous size of your jurisprudence books you learned all about the car before you did, didnt u? You know all the traffic rules, and you endured a lengthy 'learner driver' period that spanned months didnt you? Computers are practical machines! You dont need to cram codes, just LEARN TO USE THEM! simple. You dont need to be a programmer to unlock the power of Linux.

Finally, as per open source on windows, I think you should check what OS those programs are originally written for grin

If u love your windows OSS programs, u GOTTA support linux grin
Re: Post Your Vista Problems Here by Nobody: 10:27am On Jun 19, 2007
google sketchup is not running on vista.
this is funny because its a hardware thing
you can install via workaround( run in compatibility mode for xp)
or using the latest version(6.05)

BUT IT WILL ONLY OPEN AND FREEZE. undecided
oddly, enough it runs if windows is in safe mode

it seems to have something to do with the fact that vista graphics processing is configured to run only with directx rather than openGL. undecided

which may be why it ran in safe mode
Re: Post Your Vista Problems Here by abohrandy: 1:56pm On Jun 19, 2007
to all my bros n sis who want to follow MS by their shadow. i'd advice u get a PC designed for vista.
don't get up on morning n get ur old xp up to vista.
it is true that if u install xp on a system with 92MB RAM n 500MHz processor it will run
but i bet you if u try vista on 1GB RAM 2 Ghz processor, u can kiss that system good bye. so forget that u could play around wit xp so u can do same wit vista. vista is very performant.

well kudoz to Big(whatsoeva).
Re: Post Your Vista Problems Here by bigrovar(m): 7:46am On Jun 20, 2007
oyb:

google sketchup is not running on vista.
this is funny because its a hardware thing
you can install via workaround( run in compatibility mode for xp)
or using the latest version(6.05)

BUT IT WILL ONLY OPEN AND FREEZE. undecided
oddly, enough it runs if windows is in safe mode

it seems to have something to do with the fact that vista graphics processing is configured to run only with directx rather than openGL. undecided

which may be why it ran in safe mode

Atually i found out that it maybe your grapic card that does not support google sketch up on vista, try updating your graphic card, just type device manager on the search field in your start menu, go to the graphic card driver right click on it, and select update online, for more assistance u can check here
http://sketchup.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=66154 and http://sketchup.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=69299&ctx=sibling
Re: Post Your Vista Problems Here by bigrovar(m): 7:55am On Jun 20, 2007
@ oyb

u can also try downloading the lastest sketchup, right click on the exe file and set to compatibility mode for win 2000, after installation. run the program with Windows 2000 or Me Compatibility, under that same tab. Check the last three boxes, that say “Disable visual themes”, “Dissable visual composition”, and “Disable display scaling on high DPI settings”. not sure if one of this boxes isn;t nescessary to be checked but it works. Once you open the program. uncheck the box that says “open help tools at startup” or something like that, after that you can uncheck the three boxes on the Compatibility tab. and you got your Sketchup working on vista i hope i was of help, let me know
Re: Post Your Vista Problems Here by bigrovar(m): 8:12am On Jun 20, 2007
amena:

good now could u pls tell me the kind of phone u are using ,is it a nokia ,motorola etc, am sure it not a big problem but i need to know what kind of phone uare using,
Re: Post Your Vista Problems Here by bigrovar(m): 8:23am On Jun 20, 2007
Double N:

Please Bigrovar and fellow Nairaland users i have a hp pavilion dv6000,that came preinstalled with win xp but i want to upgrade to vista.how do i go about it because i installed vista upgrade advisor and it showed me that some of my hardware will not work like my bluetooth and camera.Please help me on what to do to upgrade because the system has a vista capable logo.

yes i need to know some specification about your laptop since i dont have much respect to the "vista capable logo u see on laptops".let me know things like your ram size, hard drive size,processor,graphic card,graphic memo, etc, if u have problems getting this things let me know, also since the vista advisor said vista maynot work with ur bluetooth and camera i would suggest u go online to look for the latest driver that would support thosre hardware, i would also advise u to do a clean install when installing window vista, and not and upgrade, a clean install would format ur harddrive and clean out the former os b4 installing vista, that way u wont experience many of the issues that comes with upgrading, u can check hp site for the latest driver for vista that work with ur laptop,
Re: Post Your Vista Problems Here by Orimili(m): 5:12pm On Jun 20, 2007
@abohrandy: you are absolutely right. After having Vista on my computer for a few weeks, I have decided to go back to xp, and I could not have been happier. I am just much more productive on xp without the excess resources being used, and can get things done faster than with vista. There are many things that like about Vista, but i will stay away from it, at least until the first service pack is released for it.
Re: Post Your Vista Problems Here by chichimma(f): 1:11pm On Jun 22, 2007
Another problem I have with Windows Vista.

I have an acer Laptop, I can't save documents ( excell, word) on my removable disk (explicit USB)

Bigrovar, this Vista thing is starting to drive me crazy. What am I overlooking here?
Re: Post Your Vista Problems Here by DoubleN(m): 10:20pm On Jun 22, 2007
Bigrovar the system is a Hp Pavilion dv6183ea.
Memory 1GB
Processor intel core 2 duo 1.83ghz(T5600)
Graphics card Nvidia Geforce go 7400 with 256mb memory.
Please i await your response.Good work you are doing here,keep it up!
Re: Post Your Vista Problems Here by folos(m): 2:21am On Jun 23, 2007
1. i have problems installing hp printer c3100 photosmart software with my vista
2.my microsoft office has a 60 day trial even though i ave the original software that came wit the laptop.
3.yahoo messenger does not run smoothly.my sys is hp compaq-70gb hdd,512 ram,amd processor,presrio v6000,NVIDIA
Re: Post Your Vista Problems Here by amena(f): 2:20pm On Jun 23, 2007
[good now could u please tell me the kind of phone u are using ,is it a nokia ,motorola etc, am sure it not a big problem but i need to know what kind of phone uare using,]

Thnx alot bigrovar, ve learnt alot from u. am using nokia 5300. but guess wat it got connected on wed afternoon and stopped later. still cant connect since then. now am convinced it can work but wat the pro is I cant tell.I need to start njoying my vista oh cos I now know its not meant to be problematic. wat do u think I shd do

Secondly, ms office 2007 came installed with the laptop and yet keep asking for the key. been showing my remaining num of times i can access it- wats d solution?
Re: Post Your Vista Problems Here by kellorah: 4:57pm On Jun 23, 2007
Had to get a new printer for VISTA. angry

Pica 2 doesn't work any more. angry

Is this VISTa thing a curse or what? Just when I thought I was enjoying it!
Re: Post Your Vista Problems Here by Ajodabile: 8:09pm On Jun 24, 2007
My laptop (Compaq presario with a Celeron processor) came with Vista Home Basic preinstalled. Man, the thing was no different from XP. And it made my computer damn slow. And so many stuff could not be installed on it (my printer for example) It was a heartache. I was so glad when I uninstalled it and installed XP. For now, vista is not worth it, unless you have a mega-fast computer, and are willing to suffer a little while Microsoft gets it right. maybe in a year or two, but until then, XP for life!
Re: Post Your Vista Problems Here by bigrovar(m): 7:39pm On Jun 25, 2007
Hi guys i have been off air for a while now.my internet subscription ran out.just renewed it.i hope to respond to every single post i got during my absent.just give me some time.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Browse Free On Pc Using Airtel / Macbook Pro 16" 2021 M1 Pro Unboxing And Price / Five-year-old Passes Microsoft Exam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 144
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.