Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,642 members, 7,861,970 topics. Date: Sunday, 16 June 2024 at 03:13 AM

Don't The Igbos Deserve A Round Of Applause? - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Don't The Igbos Deserve A Round Of Applause? (15497 Views)

5 Governors That Deserve A Second Term In 2019 / Jonathan Does Not Deserve A Second Term – Okogie / Re: Obasanjo's Son - Don't The Following Leaders Have Sons Too ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Don't The Igbos Deserve A Round Of Applause? by Olaedo1: 8:37am On Jan 11, 2011
Aigbofa:

Banjo was a good man, probably like you. But, that did not stop the bearded goat from shooting him.

why was Banjo thrown in jail before the war?
Re: Don't The Igbos Deserve A Round Of Applause? by EkoIle1: 8:38am On Jan 11, 2011
afam4eva:

The question should not be about which states have the most industries. It should be about who owns those industries.

Sounds kind of d/umb to me. Who's collecting taxes and and enjoying employment benefits sounds more reasonable. One of the primary reasons why businesses are cited in any particular location rests on the efforts of the leaders in the area to provide incentives, safety and security, access to markets and raw materials.

Now, y'all don't have none of that, you kidnap and kill people over there so who's gonna risk funds and manpower in a crime ridden environment like the east.

This is what you people do to businesses,

6 MTN Workers Killed in Aba

http://www.nigeriannewsservice.com/nns-news-archive/news-blocks/6-mtn-workers-killed-in-aba
Re: Don't The Igbos Deserve A Round Of Applause? by ektbear: 8:40am On Jan 11, 2011
Justcash:

My friend, don't talk ignorantly. Your assertion is wrong. Ogun state gat less factories than Anambra state (E.g Awka and Onitsha). Do a research and find out. I know because I have lived and done business for more than 3 years in both states. I know what I am saying. You can only mention Lagos, and yet Lagos cannot be said to have more factories than the whole of South East.

I would be highly surprised if Lagos State doesn't have more factories than all of the SE. Doesn't it contribute like 40% to the Nigeria's GDP, consume 60% of Nigeria's electricity, etc? These figures are off the top of my head and are probably off to some extent, though.
Re: Don't The Igbos Deserve A Round Of Applause? by Justcash(m): 8:42am On Jan 11, 2011
Eko Ile:

I really was expecting you to come up with your own list instead of the useless talk.

I did my research and I back it up with my own facts, it is not up to me to help you dig up facts to counter my own facts, it is up to you to do your own research to discount and discredit mine.

What you're doing is called intellectual laziness. Don't run your mouth about what you can not prove.  Put your money where your mouth is. Stop being lazy.

LOL! You just cracked me up. You don't need to be insolent. Okay where do you want me to start from? Is it in Motorcycles assembly plants, Motorcylcle parts moulding plants, Automobile molding plants, Car Assembly plant, Paint manufacturing factories, Soap making factories, Cloths, Cement, Oil, electronics etc If you even want factories that manufature illegal stuffs like Guns, I can name for you, Just that you have to keep it confidential.  grin

You used to hear of "Aba Made"? How popular was it, and how difficult was it to know the difference between "Aba made" and the original?

I don't want to waste my time on this. I am keeping to the question that is bugging my mind. How come the West and North remained at this level till the East recuperated and caught up? Forget that I am Igbo,  Does that fact not bother you?
Re: Don't The Igbos Deserve A Round Of Applause? by EkoIle1: 8:42am On Jan 11, 2011
komando7:

Aigbofa and babapupa, say the truth: you both secretly wish you were Igbo.

Abeg no dey swear for me o. Over my dead body/Back to sender,
Re: Don't The Igbos Deserve A Round Of Applause? by Afam4eva(m): 8:43am On Jan 11, 2011
ekt_bear:

I would be highly surprised if Lagos State doesn't have more factories than all of the SE. Doesn't it contribute like 40% to the Nigeria's GDP, consume 60% of Nigeria's electricity, etc? These figures are off the top of my head and are probably off to some extent, though.

Remember that population also counts.
Re: Don't The Igbos Deserve A Round Of Applause? by ektbear: 8:43am On Jan 11, 2011
@Aigbofa: I guess my point is that I work for Team Yoruba, not Team Igbo.
Re: Don't The Igbos Deserve A Round Of Applause? by Akhenaten: 8:44am On Jan 11, 2011
ekt_bear:

Team Igbo would be welcomed to have you.  grin To add for diversity. Come on my brother, you think like an Igbo man. tongue
Re: Don't The Igbos Deserve A Round Of Applause? by Nobody: 8:45am On Jan 11, 2011
ekt_bear:

I get you, my brother.
Re: Don't The Igbos Deserve A Round Of Applause? by Nobody: 8:46am On Jan 11, 2011
Akhenaten:

Team Igbo would be welcomed to have you.  grin To add for diversity. Come on my brother, you think like an Igbo man. tongue

Wouldn't you like to have him? Like Adekunle Fajuyi abi?
Re: Don't The Igbos Deserve A Round Of Applause? by EkoIle1: 8:46am On Jan 11, 2011
Justcash:

LOL! You just cracked me up. You don't need to be insolent. Okay where do you want me to start from? Is it in Motorcycles assembly plants, Motorcylcle parts moulding plants, Automobile molding plants, Car Assembly plant, Paint manufacturing factories, Soap making factories, Cloths, Cement, Oil, electronics etc If you even want factories that manufature illegal stuffs like Guns, I can name for you, Just that you have to keep it confidential.  grin

You used to hear of "Aba Made"? How popular was it, and how difficult was it to know the difference between "Aba made" and the original?

I don't want to waste my time on this. I am keeping to the question that is bugging my mind. How come the West and North remained at this level till the East recuperated and caught up? Forget that I am Igbo,  Does that fact not bother you?

I'm really not interested in your nonsensical rubbish. The only way to prove people wrong is by posting your own list and facts, not by regurgitating irrelevant nonsense.

Like I said, what you're doing is called intellectual laziness. Don't run your mouth about what you can not prove.  Put your money where your mouth is. Stop being lazy. Give us the list of the industries or STFU.
Re: Don't The Igbos Deserve A Round Of Applause? by ektbear: 8:46am On Jan 11, 2011
Akhenaten:

And who are the scapegoat that you have in mind to awaken the mighty Yoruba race? Fear is good, when it is channeled into productive means. Fear of Nazi Germany propelled the U.S. to create a large military complex that would be able to defeat the Nazis and Imperial Japan. However, fear can also consume a nation. Just look at what occurred in Yugoslavia amongst the Serbs, Muslims and Croats.

Good points. And ideally I won't have to use fear to motivate my people to do what is necessary. But if shame/fear/paranoia/etc are the only tools left, we toss the dice.
Re: Don't The Igbos Deserve A Round Of Applause? by Akhenaten: 8:49am On Jan 11, 2011
Aigbofa:

Wouldn't you like to have him? Like Adekunle Fajuyi abi?

Adekunle Fajuyi is well respected in my community for what he did for Major General Aguiyi-Ironsi who is a member of my clan. And I also have the deepest respect for the man.
Re: Don't The Igbos Deserve A Round Of Applause? by Justcash(m): 8:53am On Jan 11, 2011
ekt_bear:

[b]
Nah, Lagos does not have more factories than the South East as a whole. The South East is made up of Anambra, Imo, Enugu, Abia and Ebonyi. Lagos got a high level of commercial activities, made up of import, export, service and Manufacturing. The ratio is like Import 50%, Export 10%, Services 40% and Manufacturing 10%.
Import is a major boost to the service provision sectors e.g retail, wholesale, consultancy etc. Low Manufacturing base kills the export rate. There is more export from the South South (Oil), than from Lagos state. The Headquaters of most big firms are in Lagos state and not their manufacturing bases.
Do you know that goods are made in Abia state, Anambra state etc and sent to Lagos states to be sold? This is due to the High population rate in Lagos state.
Lagos is strategically bad for manufacturing. Why would you manufacture a product that would cost more than it's imported substitutes (Considering ethe Ports)? It is easier to carry out low scale manufacturing in areas that are far from the ports to take advantage of the nearness to consumers.
In terms of electricity, it is more due to social population utility, than manufacturing rate utility.[/b]
Re: Don't The Igbos Deserve A Round Of Applause? by Nobody: 8:55am On Jan 11, 2011
Akhenaten:

Adekunle Fajuyi is well respected in my community for what he did for Major General Aguiyi-Ironsi who is a member of my clan. And I also have the deepest respect for the man.

Unfortunately, a lot of ibos don't feel thay way. And I dont want Eku-Bear, another Ekiti man sacrificed for some ungrateful folks. cool
Re: Don't The Igbos Deserve A Round Of Applause? by Onlytruth(m): 8:57am On Jan 11, 2011
lol babapupa is incapable of acknowledging any Igbo achievement even if his life depends on it. What a character!

Personally I think the topic is tantamount to jumping the gun. We are far from the promised land.

For the record though, i think that Igboland has more industries than Lagos.
The states may not be blowing their trumpets by listing the industries online (don't let Peter Obi hear it though 'cos he is good at publishing his achievements!). The industries are there and they are not just ordinary industries. I would give a simple example. No laff o!  grin
A Nigerian woman here in the states once complained that the best bra she has ever used here is the one she bought in Nigeria -made in Aba!  cool

Go figure.  undecided

We produce the best in Aba, but Nigeria is not into marketing her best.
Re: Don't The Igbos Deserve A Round Of Applause? by Akhenaten: 8:58am On Jan 11, 2011
Aigbofa:

Unfortunately, a lot of ibos don't feel thay way. And I dont want Eku-Bear, another Ekiti man sacrificed for some ungrateful folks. cool

I don't understand why he would not be respected amongst the Ndi Igbo. He died alongside Ironsi, which shows his loyalty to his boss and friend. You can learn a lot from this man. He was not a tribalist unlike some of you on this thread. Fajuyi was a good man. smiley
Re: Don't The Igbos Deserve A Round Of Applause? by Nobody: 9:03am On Jan 11, 2011
Akhenaten:

I don't understand why he would not be respected amongst the Ndi Igbo. He died alongside Ironsi, which shows his loyalty to his boss and friend. You can learn a lot from this man. He was not a tribalist.  

Neither am I.
Re: Don't The Igbos Deserve A Round Of Applause? by ektbear: 9:03am On Jan 11, 2011
@Akhenaten: Heh, not going to lie, I like Igbo people a lot. And if history had turned out a bit differently, perhaps we wouldn't be in opposition and thus could be friends (as ethnicites rather than on an individual level; obviously plenty of Yoruba/Igbo individuals are friends, married, etc.)

But if I were to abandon Team Yoruba, I'd then join Team USA  grin

On a serious note though, Awolowo's programs paved the way for my father to attend the University of Ife back when it was amongst the best schools in Nigeria. My grandfather was not a rich man, he was a poor farmer and schoolteacher. My life would be very different today (if I would even exist at all!) if those opportunities had not been available. So the Yoruba have my loyalty and hopefully that of my descendants too.
Re: Don't The Igbos Deserve A Round Of Applause? by russellino: 9:03am On Jan 11, 2011
Its amazing that someone puts up a post to higlight the positive aspects of the Igbo people and some people want to kill themselves. Igbos survived the war and despite losing almost everything can boast of the highest number of self made multi-millionaires in this country, have without FG input rebuilt their scorched and devastated land to the best of their individual ability are producing some the brightest young minds this nation can boast  of.

Like the N.Delta has shown,when the govt fails to put in the minimal development the youth fall prey to the lure of crime, yet most igbo youth who cant go to school still  trade and most times excel at it.

By all means a round of applause
Re: Don't The Igbos Deserve A Round Of Applause? by Justcash(m): 9:05am On Jan 11, 2011
Eko Ile:

I'm really not interested in your nonsensical rubbish. The only way to prove people wrong is by posting your own list and facts, not by regurgitating irrelevant nonsense.

Like I said, what you're doing is called intellectual laziness. Don't run your mouth about what you can not prove.  Put your money where your mouth is. Stop being lazy. Give us the list of the industries or STFU.

Mention one factory in Ogun state that is as big as Innoson's factories? Before you jump and start shitting on you nappies, Innoson is owned by an independent individual without government's help. When you have answered that, research about Ogbuawa and Ibeto. Check where they have their factories. Lest I forget, have you heard of Annamco? These are major factories, and not "Moi-Moi and Agidi " Factories that you mentioned.
Moi and Agidi factories too plenty for South east that they are considered unimportant. What we call normal factories in the South East is like mega factories in the West.
Be careful, you may be killed with an "Awka made" Pump action.  wink wink wink wink wink grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Don't The Igbos Deserve A Round Of Applause? by ektbear: 9:06am On Jan 11, 2011
Interesting posts on manufacturing in the SE. Next time I go to Nigeria, I'll have to see for myself. Unfortunately I've only been to PH. Probably a good idea to see what is going on in Anambra too.
Re: Don't The Igbos Deserve A Round Of Applause? by Nobody: 9:06am On Jan 11, 2011
russellino:

Its amazing that someone puts up a post to higlight the positive aspects of the Igbo people and some people want to kill themselves. Igbos survived the war and despite losing almost everything can boast of the highest number of self made multi-millionaires in this country, have without FG input rebuilt their scorched and devastated land to the best of their individual ability are producing some the brightest young minds this nation can boast  of.

Like the N.Delta has shown,when the govt fails to put in the minimal development the youth fall prey to the lure of crime, yet most igbo youth who cant go to school still  trade and most times excel at it.

By all means a round of applause

What other choice did you have? Roll over and die? So, because you went to war, you are never supposed to produce millionaires?
Re: Don't The Igbos Deserve A Round Of Applause? by EkoIle1: 9:07am On Jan 11, 2011
Onlytruth:

lol babapupa is incapable of acknowledging any Igbo achievement even if his life depends on it. What a character!

Personally I think the topic is tantamount to jumping the gun. We are far from the promised land.

For the record though, i think that Igboland has more industries than Lagos.
The states may not be blowing their trumpets by listing the industries online (don't let Peter Obi hear it though 'cos he is good at publishing his achievements!). The industries are there and they are not just ordinary industries. I would give a simple example
. No laff o!  grin
A Nigerian woman here in the states once complained that the best bra she has ever used here is the one she bought in Nigeria -made in Aba!  cool

Go figure.  undecided

We produce the best in Aba, but Nigeria is not into marketing her best.

Useless yeye 419 gist. How u sabi what you can not list. Major industries really shouldn't be hard to list.

FYI, this is not about not acknowledging anything ibo, it's about needlessly putting other people down just to make yourself feel good while you pounding your  shallow chest.
Re: Don't The Igbos Deserve A Round Of Applause? by EkoIle1: 9:10am On Jan 11, 2011
Justcash:

Mention one factory in Ogun state that is as big as Innoson's factories? Before you jump and start shitting on you nappies, Innoson is owned by an independent individual without government's help. When you have answered that, research about Ogbuawa and Ibeto. Check where they have their factories. Lest I forget, have you heard of Annamco? These are major factories, and not "Moi-Moi and Agidi " Factories that you mentioned.
Be careful, you may be killed with an "Awka made" Pump action.  wink wink wink wink wink grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Abeg stop bothering me with the same irrelevant nonsense, post the list or STFU.
Re: Don't The Igbos Deserve A Round Of Applause? by Onlytruth(m): 9:11am On Jan 11, 2011
ekt_bear:

Interesting posts on manufacturing in the SE. Next time I go to Nigeria, I'll have to see for myself. Unfortunately I've only been to PH. Probably a good idea to see what is going on in Anambra too.

Eko Ile:

Useless yeye 419 gist. How u sabi what you can not list. Major industries really shouldn't be hard to list.

FYI, this is not about not acknowledging anything ibo, it's about needlessly putting other people down just to make yourself feel good while you pounding your  shallow chest.

You guys also forget Enugu with the Emene industries. You also forget the Nigerian breweries at Ama in Enugu ( a $400 million industry), once acknowledged as the single biggest brewery in Nigeria.

IMO, between Enugu, Anambra and Abia, there are more industries than Lagos.
Re: Don't The Igbos Deserve A Round Of Applause? by Justcash(m): 9:13am On Jan 11, 2011
Eko Ile:

Abeg stop bothering me with the same irrelevant nonsense, post the list or STFU.

I have called names now, you have pissed in your pants. You are calling Pencil, bread and butter factories, and beating your chest. LMAO! Anuofia.
Re: Don't The Igbos Deserve A Round Of Applause? by ektbear: 9:18am On Jan 11, 2011
Justcash:

agos is strategically bad for manufacturing. Why would you manufacture a product that would cost more than it's imported substitutes (Considering ethe Ports)? It is easier to carry out low scale manufacturing in areas that are far from the ports to take advantage of the nearness to consumers.

This rationale doesn't make sense, btw. Not everything will be cheaper to import than to manufacture. I actually think Lagos and Ogun will be phenomenal for manufacturing if/when electricity is available in Nigeria. You have a pretty enormous market nearby, and relatively low overall transportation costs if you build your factories in Ogun.
Re: Don't The Igbos Deserve A Round Of Applause? by Justcash(m): 9:19am On Jan 11, 2011
Onlytruth:

You guys also forget Enugu with the Emene industries. You also forget the Nigerian breweries at Ama in Enugu ( a $400 million industry), once acknowledged as the single biggest brewery in Nigeria.

IMO, between Enugu, Anambra and Abia, there are more industries than Lagos.

Lagos does not have more factories than Anambra state alone. They may have more big brand factories, but not more factories (Especially small scale).
Re: Don't The Igbos Deserve A Round Of Applause? by Afam4eva(m): 9:20am On Jan 11, 2011
@ Eko Ile

Abeg which one be Adeola Odutola Industries. It shows on that site that they sell Quality products. What kind of product be quality product. Most companies listed there are mushroom companies. They can be best described as shops.
Re: Don't The Igbos Deserve A Round Of Applause? by PhysicsMHD(m): 9:27am On Jan 11, 2011
if I didn't know that the Northerners were so damn backwards that nothing short of complete cultural and social revolution by actual Hausa/Northern leadership and communities could make them catch up with any group in Nigeria economically, educationally etc, I might have actually agreed with the op to some extent. The Hausas never had a chance of catching up with Igbos, and even if all the oil money over the last 40 years had been channeled exclusively to the North and to no other part of the country, many Igbos would just move to the North and economically dominate them through sheer hard work

if I hadn't stumbled upon the fact that the majority Yoruba Western region was by far the richest region in terms of revenue prior to independence I might have agreed with the point of the OP. It seems that when left to their own rule, the Yoruba know how to progress just fine in economic and educational areas and even surpass many other groups in Africa. . .

It seems to be the case that some are mistaking haphazard military rule by mostly Northern elite for the near independent control of the pace of development of the different regions. I always find this bitter Yoruba/Igbo rivalry tragically amusing. For every great Igbo man or woman in some area I can almost always think of an equivalent Yoruba and vice versa, yet the arguments and denigration never seem to stop. . .
Re: Don't The Igbos Deserve A Round Of Applause? by EkoIle1: 9:27am On Jan 11, 2011
Justcash:

I have called names now, you have pissed in your pants. You are calling Pencil, bread and butter factories, and beating your chest. LMAO! Anuofia.

Ode!! lmao. I guess you're too chicken to post your list, 

We re talking about almost 100 major industries like Honda, 2 West African Portland Cement in ewekoro and shagamu, 4 pharmaceuticals, 4 breweries, 2 distilleries, sugar factories, Metal packaging, Tin, Crown cap , Sodium silicate, Aluminium sulphate, sulfuric acid , Louver frames, Aluminum roofing, Accessories, Bolt, Nuts and Wagner, paint factories,Transformer, Electrical Cables, Coils etc.,  iron and steel,

And this clown is talking about some less than six  month  old joint. I really can nit knock the motor factory because it's a good thing, but that's really an exception and it pales in comparison when talking about the tax base and employment capabilities of almost 100 major industries,

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Igp Gets 24 Hours To Produce Boko Haram Escapee Or Be Sacked! / Ibom Deep Sea Port, $1.4bn Fertilizer Plant To Change Akwa Ibom’s Status / Kingsley Moghalu: How I And Sanusi Stabilised The Naira For Five Years

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.