Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,279 members, 7,846,281 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 01:23 PM

Don't The Igbos Deserve A Round Of Applause? - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Don't The Igbos Deserve A Round Of Applause? (15475 Views)

5 Governors That Deserve A Second Term In 2019 / Jonathan Does Not Deserve A Second Term – Okogie / Re: Obasanjo's Son - Don't The Following Leaders Have Sons Too ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Don't The Igbos Deserve A Round Of Applause? by revolt(m): 9:28am On Jan 11, 2011
Give credits to whom deserves honour if I remember the benin empire was brought down by the British plus they didn't suffer a quarter of what igbos saw but till today after almost two centuries the effects still strong on em. Igbo NDA!!!!!
Re: Don't The Igbos Deserve A Round Of Applause? by PhysicsMHD(m): 9:30am On Jan 11, 2011
Adekunle Fajuyi? respected? He was a covert coupist, right?
Re: Don't The Igbos Deserve A Round Of Applause? by ektbear: 9:32am On Jan 11, 2011
Justcash:

Lagos does not have more factories than Anambra state alone. They may have more big brand factories, but not more factories (Especially small scale).

Are we measuring overall dollar value of the factories, or  just quantity? I'm sure Anambra has more  quantity, but I highly doubt that the overall value of the business they do exceeds that of Lagos.

Otherwise I'm a bit surprised  that McKinsey for example decided to open their office in Lagos rather than Anambra tongue
Re: Don't The Igbos Deserve A Round Of Applause? by Justcash(m): 9:33am On Jan 11, 2011
ekt_bear:

This rationale doesn't make sense, btw. Not everything will be cheaper to import than to manufacture. I actually think Lagos and Ogun will be phenomenal for manufacturing if/when electricity is available in Nigeria. You have a pretty enormous market nearby, and relatively low overall transportation costs if you build your factories in Ogun.
[b]You have a point, but still, manufacturing in Nigeria can never be cheaper than making the same abroad and importing.
I can get anything Cheaper in Asia than in Nigeria. I can even take Cassava to Asia, turn into a packaged cassava product and return it, it will still be cheaper than the ones made in Nigeria, despite the cost of the flight. You sure under-estimate how costly and frustrating it is to manufacture in Nigeria. Lack of electricity is not the only problem, security (You need to pay for effective security), transportation, Multiple taxation, corruption (Sorting), availability of unqualified but over-demanding employees due to strong unions etc. It is only mushroom factories (Very small) or very large and government supported factories that can survive easily in Lagos state. The existence of the cheap imported products makes manufacturing unattractive. However, the local manufacturers can compete effectively if an enabling environment is created for them, and taxes are stamped on the imported products.[/b]
Re: Don't The Igbos Deserve A Round Of Applause? by EkoIle1: 9:34am On Jan 11, 2011
afam4eva:

@ Eko Ile

Abeg which one be Adeola Odutola Industries. It shows on that site that they sell Quality products. What kind of product be quality product. Most companies listed there are mushroom companies. They can be best described as shops.

Like I said, you people are very intellectually lazy, why not just goodle the place and find out what they make? Internet is a great asset, use the damn thing,

ADEOLA ODUTOLA INDUSTRIES PLC

Business: Rethreading of Vehicles Tyres, Rubber &

Oil Palm Plantation, Manufacturing of

Technical Rubber Products, Production of Biscuits.

Cocoa Palm Plantation

Incorporation:     1948

Address: Adeola Odutola Industrial Estate, Old

Lagos Road, Ijebu-Ode, Ogun State

Tel: (037) 432322

So Honda, cement factories, pharmaceuticals, breweries, Cement factories, iron and steel are shops. I hope you ain't joking because you sound very silly and ignorant.
Re: Don't The Igbos Deserve A Round Of Applause? by Onlytruth(m): 9:35am On Jan 11, 2011
Eko Ile:

Ode!! lmao. I guess you're too chicken to post your list, 

We re talking about almost 100 major industries like Honda, 2 West African Portland Cement in ewekoro and shagamu, 4 pharmaceuticals, 4 breweries, 2 distilleries, sugar factories, Metal packaging, Tin, Crown cap , Sodium silicate, Aluminium sulphate, sulfuric acid , Louver frames, Aluminum roofing, Accessories, Bolt, Nuts and Wagner, paint factories,Transformer, Electrical Cables, Coils etc.,  iron and steel,

And this clown is talking about some less than six  month  old joint. I really can nit knock the motor factory because it's a good thing, but that's really an exception and it pales in comparison when talking about the tax base and employment capabilities of almost 100 major industries,

But you forget that the auto industries in the south east is dependent on the smaller auto spare parts factories scattered from Nnewi to Enugu. The Innoson auto plant will source 60% -70% of their materials from local industries existing synergistically with the plant.

Like I said before, the state governments don't have good websites except Imo state, but Imo does not have the type of industries we are talking about; only Anambra, Enugu and Abia have them, and they don't have the list online.

So, here you go. One down for you.  undecided
Re: Don't The Igbos Deserve A Round Of Applause? by Onlytruth(m): 9:40am On Jan 11, 2011
ekt_bear:

Are we measuring overall dollar value of the factories, or  just quantity? I'm sure Anambra has more  quantity, but I highly doubt that the overall value of the business they do exceeds that of Lagos.

Otherwise I'm a bit surprised  that McKinsey for example decided to open their office in Lagos rather than Anambra tongue

International companies locate in areas closest to international airports. Anambra does not have that.
Let's keep things in proper perspective. Now, when Enugu international airport becomes fully operational, we can come back after some years to re-evaluate.
Re: Don't The Igbos Deserve A Round Of Applause? by PhysicsMHD(m): 9:41am On Jan 11, 2011
revolt:

Give credits to whom deserves honour if I remember the benin empire was brought down by the British plus they didn't suffer a quarter of what igbos saw but till today after almost two centuries the effects still strong on em. Igbo NDA!!!!!

lol, what effects? Are Benin people roaming the countryside as almajiris and selling suya? grin

And the very fact that they bounced back from total destruction of their main city and many villages and went on to surpass folks in the ND, Middlebelt, west, and east who didn't experience such should show how out of place this "bounce back" idea is in discussions of economic competence or other competence. What are groups who naturally attained any great heights supposed to do, NOT bounce back? grin grin There's no way that could happen. The "Igbo DNA" thing is even funnier, guy, please identify the Igbo "bounce back" gene.  grin grin
Re: Don't The Igbos Deserve A Round Of Applause? by Justcash(m): 9:41am On Jan 11, 2011
ekt_bear:

Like I said, companies with big brands prefer to exist in Lagos, and are very surpported by the government. However, in terms of number of factories (addition of big and small) (Including toilet tissue, pure water factories LOL!), Anambra gat more than Lagos state. Ogun state is no where near any of Anambra, Abia and Enugu.
Re: Don't The Igbos Deserve A Round Of Applause? by EkoIle1: 9:42am On Jan 11, 2011
Onlytruth:

But you forget that the auto industries in the south east is dependent on the smaller auto spare parts factories scattered from Nnewi to Enugu. The Innoson auto plant will source 60% -70% of their materials from local industries existing synergistically with the plant.

Like I said before, the state governments don't have good websites except Imo state, but Imo does not have the type of industries we are talking about; only Anambra, Enugu and Abia have them, and they don't have the list online.

So, here you go. One down for you.  undecided

What's your point really? What's all this rubbish got to do with tens of major industries employing thousands of people and paying taxes?

And please, stop making silly excuses, there is nothing on  their website because there is nothing to put on the website. You yourself can not name them.

Abeg stop jare,
Re: Don't The Igbos Deserve A Round Of Applause? by EkoIle1: 9:44am On Jan 11, 2011
Justcash:

Like I said, companies with big brands prefer to exist in Lagos, and are very surpported by the government. [b]However, in terms of number of factories (addition of big and small) (Including toilet tissue, pure water factories LOL!), Anambra gat more than Lagos state. Ogun state is no where near any of Anambra, Abia and Enugu.
[/b]

Nothing but 419 talk, Name them or keep quiet.
Re: Don't The Igbos Deserve A Round Of Applause? by excanny: 9:49am On Jan 11, 2011
Damn! Why are Igbo states refusing to post directories of their industries on their sites. At least I'm sure of Nnewi. Those folks there are just crazy with technology

Economy
As a fast developing city and a
major industrial and commercial
hub in Africa, Nnewi experiences
voluminous financial activities,
therefore hosts major banks, and
other financial institutions.
Industries are dotted around the
city and adjoining towns. Palm
oil, cosmetics, motor, and
motorcycle spare parts, books,
and stationeries, textiles, electric
cables, and so on are produced
in commercial quantity in the
area. As a result, Nnewi is
commonly refers to as the
“Japan of Africa". Its main
trading centers include, Nkwo
Nnewi market (the largest spare
parts market in west Africa) and
Nwafor market, Eke Amaobi
market, Eke Ochie, Eke Ichi
Market, Orie otube Market, etc.
Agriculture and Forestry
The main occupation of Nnewi
people is trading and farming,
therefore they depend mainly on
agriculture and commerce for
their daily livelihood. Most
Nnewian have mbubo (home
gardens) and ubi (out-station
gardens) were they usually
cultivate their farm products.
These crops when they are
harvested are usually taken to
the market for sale. Most of the
prime cash crops include oil
palm, raffia palm, groundnut,
melon, cotton, cocoa, rubber,
maize, et cetera. Food crops
such as yam, cassava, cocoyam,
breadfruit, and three-leaf yam
are also produced in large
quantities. The location of Nnewi
within the tropical rainforest
gives it the ecological basis for
production of a wide range of
tropical agriculture crops with
widespread potential for
industrial convention.
Industries
Nnewi is home to many major
manufacturing industries
including[b] Ibeto Group of
Companies, Cutix and ADswitch,
Uru Industries Ltd, Omata
Holdings Ltd, Cento Group of
Companies, Coscharis of
Companies Group, Innoson
Group of Companies, Ebunso
Nig. Ltd, John White Industries,
Ejiamatu Group of Companies,
Horizontal Ent. Ltd, M. O. I.
Ltd.DE R.C ORIZ INV Ltd.,
Chicason Group.[/b] The great
majority of industrialists in the
cluster of spare parts factories in
Nnewi are also traders, and most
of these traders are producing
one or more of the products
they specialize in marketing as
traders (usually motor vehicle
parts), and most began by
distributing their products
through their preexisting
distribution networks. Nnewi is
part of eastern Nigeria's
industrial axis. The town has
through culturally grounded
institutions that act as
sophisticated networks expanded
to include an international
dimension through trading
relations with exporters from
Asia. Over the last decade, the
town of Nnewi has experienced
relatively rapid industrialization.
In excess of 20 medium to large
scale industries have been
established
across a variety of
sectors. Since 1970, Nnewi
residents have controlled
approximately 80 to 90 percent
of the motor-parts trade in
Nigeria. Nkwo Nnewi Market is
the major import and wholesale
point for motor spare parts in
Nigeria. The industrialists of
Nnewi are adapting foreign
technology to local needs,
providing employment to
thousands, and making available
goods and services which are
relevant actual needs of the
Nigerian citizens.
Autoparts
Nnewi is renowned for
producing great statesmen and
leaders of commerce. The town
is also one of the major trading
and manufacturing centers of
Nigeria. By 1940, Nnewi residents
were at the center of an
international trading network
that dominated the supply of
motor spare parts in Nigeria. The
town subsequently became a
center for commerce and
industry, and has one of the
largest automotive parts markets
in Africa. Nnewi Township is an
authentic "manufacturing
miracle." Small and medium
sized industries have set up in
the town and are producing not
only for the Nigeria markets but
- albeit still to a limited extent -
for markets abroad.
Industrialization of the town
began around 1970 when Nnewi
motor parts traders began
marketing their own brand name
products instead of the
reproductions of "original" parts.
For example, new auto plant,
which is being built in Nnewi by a
private investor, Chief Innocent
Chukwuma, OON, in partnership
with Chinese auto makers is
geared towards productions of
class of automobiles,[b] Cletus
Ibeto , Ogbuawa, Jonatec Auto
Supply International [/b]owned by
Chief Nwabueze Emenike and
host of other traders deals on
Motor cycle spare parts and tires.- From Wikipedia(not a reliable source, but a guide)
Re: Don't The Igbos Deserve A Round Of Applause? by Onlytruth(m): 9:51am On Jan 11, 2011
Eko Ile:

What's your point really? What's all this rubbish got to do with tens of major industries employing thousands of people and paying taxes?

And please, stop making silly excuses, there is nothing on  their website because there is nothing to put on the website. You yourself can not name them.

Abeg stop jare,

lol. Whatever boils your water for tea!  undecided

Personally I'm not really into this argument to convince your type, just to put things in proper perspective.

Igboland is almost synonymous with industry. Every Nigerian knows that. That is probably why the governors never thought of creating websites to blow their trumpets.
The owners of the factors/industries are busy hustling.  undecided
A single pharmaceutical company like [b]Juhel [/b]is one of the largest pharmaceutical industries in the WORLD. Juhel employs thousands of people. But your type can never know that.

So, keep looking for that website.
Re: Don't The Igbos Deserve A Round Of Applause? by Afam4eva(m): 9:52am On Jan 11, 2011
Is it not Ironic that Imo state that has the best and comprehensive website is not known for industries. At least those states no matter how crappy their sites are should endeavour to post it on their site. The Ogun state website just like many othet state website is crap but they did us a favour by posting the industries in their state.
Re: Don't The Igbos Deserve A Round Of Applause? by ektbear: 9:53am On Jan 11, 2011
I took the attached screenshot from page 6 of the following report:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&sqi=2&ved=0CBYQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cbcglobal.org%2FCBCG_Library%2FAYO%2520Gbeleyi%2C%2520Power.ppsx&ei=ahcsTZfOOIT7lwfc8sDWCw&usg=AFQjCNHat4X8FgC4Qpx4oXEsByCstWYT8A

I'm a bit skeptical of the claims that the entire SE does more manufacturing than Lagos (I mean dollar value of business, not just # of factories.) If that economic significance were there, it should show up somehow. . .

Re: Don't The Igbos Deserve A Round Of Applause? by ektbear: 9:56am On Jan 11, 2011
Onlytruth:

International companies locate in areas closest to international airports. Anambra does not have that.
Let's keep things in proper perspective. Now, when Enugu international airport becomes fully operational, we can come back after some years to re-evaluate.

That is not how things work for McK. They chase money too. If there is money to be made in Anambra, then they'll open an office there, international airport or not.

They have offices in even the Minnesotas of the world (though I do concede that Minny has world-class airports, something Anambra (and Nigeria in general) lacks).
Re: Don't The Igbos Deserve A Round Of Applause? by Nobody: 9:58am On Jan 11, 2011
afam4eva:

Is it not Ironic that Imo state that has the best and comprehensive website is not known for industries. At least those states no matter how crappy their sites are should endeavour to post it on their site. The Ogun state website just like many othet state website is crap but they did us a favour by posting the industries in their state.

You really can't help yourself. Everything has to be a competition between ibo and Yoruba!
Re: Don't The Igbos Deserve A Round Of Applause? by Onlytruth(m): 10:00am On Jan 11, 2011
ekt_bear:

That is not how things work for McK. They chase money too. If there is money to be made in Anambra, then they'll open an office there, international airport or not.

They have offices in even the Minnesotas of the world (though I do concede that Minny has world-class airports, something Anambra (and Nigeria in general) lacks).

And how would they enter and leave Anambra state? Let me guess.
They land in Lagos or Abuja and then take a 7 hour drive to Anambra state along the terrible armed robber infested Nigerian roads, right?
Sorry, no deal.
Re: Don't The Igbos Deserve A Round Of Applause? by Afam4eva(m): 10:01am On Jan 11, 2011
Aigbofa:

You really can't help yourself. Everything has to be a competition between ibo and Yoruba!

Tribal bigot. How does my post even suggest that i'm comparing Igbo and Yoruba.
Re: Don't The Igbos Deserve A Round Of Applause? by Justcash(m): 10:02am On Jan 11, 2011
So after defeating the East in the civil war, all Yoruba folks can boast of is a bunch of factories, that can't make any impact on employment. Well, it is a Pity. The Hausa folks have accepted that they messed up, it is the few Yoruba folks here that are trying to justify how much village factories the civil war victory helped them to get.
It is indeed a pity. May God help all of you.
I'm outta here.

1 Like

Re: Don't The Igbos Deserve A Round Of Applause? by EkoIle1: 10:03am On Jan 11, 2011
Onlytruth:

lol. Whatever boils your water for tea!  undecided

Personally I'm not really into this argument to convince your type, just to put things in proper perspective.

Igboland is almost synonymous with industry. Every Nigerian knows that. That is probably why the governors never thought of creating websites to blow their trumpets.
The owners of the factors/industries are busy hustling.  undecided
A single pharmaceutical company like [b]Juhel [/b]is one of the largest pharmaceutical industries in the WORLD. Juhel employs thousands of people. But your type can never know that.

So, keep looking for that website.

This is one of the largest pharmaceutical industries in the WORLD?

Must you people insult our intelligence?

http://www.juhelnigeria.com/
Re: Don't The Igbos Deserve A Round Of Applause? by Afam4eva(m): 10:03am On Jan 11, 2011
Onlytruth:

They land in Lagos or Abuja and then take a 7 hour drive to Anambra state along the terrible armed robber infested Nigerian roads, right?
Sorry, no deal.

Things will change as soon as the Asaba Airport is ready.
Re: Don't The Igbos Deserve A Round Of Applause? by Nobody: 10:05am On Jan 11, 2011
afam4eva:

Tribal bigot. How does my post even suggest that i'm comparing Igbo and Yoruba.

afam4eva calling someone a bigot!! Wunderbar!
Re: Don't The Igbos Deserve A Round Of Applause? by EkoIle1: 10:07am On Jan 11, 2011
Justcash:

So after defeating the East in the civil war, [b]all Yoruba folks can boast of is a bunch of factories, that can't make any impact on employment. Well, it is a Pity. The Hausa folks have accepted that they messed up, it is the few Yoruba folks here that are trying to justify how much village factories the civil war victory helped them to get.
I'm outta here.[/b]

I wonder why your people and many from every corner of  Nigeria call Lagos home/are trooping to Lgaos. And I wonder why Lagosians and Yoruba people are not venturing into iboland.

See how silly you sound?
Re: Don't The Igbos Deserve A Round Of Applause? by Afam4eva(m): 10:10am On Jan 11, 2011
Eko Ile:

I wonder why your people and many from every corner of  Nigeria call Lagos home/are trooping to Lgaos. And I wonder why Lagosians and Yoruba people are not venturing into iboland.

See how silly you sound?

See how daft you sound. Why have people started trooping to Abuja. It's because it was built with Oil money. Nigeria's money. Why is it that whenever you wan to prove that Igbos are running to Yoruba land it's only lagos you use as an example. Why are Igbos not trooping to Akure, Abeokuta, Oshogbo enmasse. Do the math or keep quiet.
Re: Don't The Igbos Deserve A Round Of Applause? by Onlytruth(m): 10:10am On Jan 11, 2011
Eko Ile:

This is one of the largest pharmaceutical industries in the WORLD?

Must you people insult our intelligence?

http://www.juhelnigeria.com/

Yes it is!  cool

afam4eva:

Things will change as soon as the Asaba Airport is ready.

As long as it is INTERNATIONAL, we don't have a problem.
Another local airport is of no use to us.
Re: Don't The Igbos Deserve A Round Of Applause? by Afam4eva(m): 10:12am On Jan 11, 2011
Onlytruth:

As long as it is INTERNATIONAL, then we don't have a problem.
Another local airport is of no use to us.

So what are u suggesting. That's an International airport in Enugu. If Onitsha needs an International airport then they willl have to build one of international standard and have it approved by government if they will agree.
Re: Don't The Igbos Deserve A Round Of Applause? by Nobody: 10:13am On Jan 11, 2011
Justcash:

So after defeating the East in the civil war, all Yoruba folks can boast of is a bunch of factories, that can't make any impact on employment. Well, it is a Pity. The Hausa folks have accepted that they messed up, it is the few Yoruba folks here that are trying to justify how much village factories the civil war victory helped them to get.
I'm outta here.

I guess you are referring to those ramshackle workshops in iboland as "factories" undecided undecided

I know how most of those "Made in Aba"  shoes are made.
Re: Don't The Igbos Deserve A Round Of Applause? by EkoIle1: 10:16am On Jan 11, 2011
afam4eva:

See how daft you sound. Why have people started trooping to Abuja. It's because it was built with Oil money. Nigeria's money. Why is it that whenever you wan to prove that Igbos are running to Yoruba land it's only lagos you use as an example. Why are Igbos not trooping to Akure, Abeokuta, Oshogbo enmasse. Do the math or keep quiet.

Ode!!! Are we talking about Lagos or Abuja? And it makes no difference to me what part of Yorubaland you fancy? Lagos is  a Yoruba state period, and you and your people ain't ish till you enter or claim Lagos.
Re: Don't The Igbos Deserve A Round Of Applause? by EkoIle1: 10:18am On Jan 11, 2011
Onlytruth:

Yes it is!  cool

My bad, I don forget say delusions na one of your numerous ibo attributes,
Re: Don't The Igbos Deserve A Round Of Applause? by Afam4eva(m): 10:19am On Jan 11, 2011
Eko Ile:

Ode!!! Are we talking about Lagos or Abuja? And it makes no difference to me what part of Yorubaland you fancy? Lagos is  a Yoruba state period, and you and your people ain't ish till you enter or claim Lagos.

See MUMU, Lagos has so many opportunities and these opportunities were created by Igbos, Yorubas alike. So i don't know why you're M-A-S-T-U-R-B-A-T-I-N-G over this Igbos moving to lagos issue. At least human beings are still left in the east and they are making it big.
Re: Don't The Igbos Deserve A Round Of Applause? by ektbear: 10:20am On Jan 11, 2011
Onlytruth:

Sorry, no deal.

Are there no flights from Abuja to anywhere near Anambra? In 2006 I went to PH for vacation, went from Houston -> Europe -> PH. Or am I imagining things? I'm pretty sure we didn't touch down in Lagos, flew directly from Europe to PH.

Unless the airport in PH is no longer functional, or Anambra is inaccessible from PH, then it shouldn't be as bad as you say. I wouldn't know the situation on the ground there now though.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Wada: I Won The Poll, Audu’s Votes Died With Him / Guber Election: APC Has No Candidate In Enugu – INEC / How Lagos Broke Its Own Laws On Deportation - Femi Falana

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.