Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,456 members, 7,816,057 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:27 AM

Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship - Culture (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship (25126 Views)

The Name Lagos, Was Called Ekonunuame By The Benins / Benins Were The First Educated Nigerians. Dr Okafor / Bini Are Original Owners Of Lagos, Not Yoruba – Layi Ajayi-Bembe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (28) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by Etinosa1234: 7:28pm On Jun 10, 2020
davidnazee:

Wow.. so Mighty Benin chased the Aworis (TAO11 tribe) from the sandy dustinbin settlement near to ocean to Isheri, chased them from Isheri to Iddo and from iddo chased them into near extinction.. no wonder TAO11 hates Benin Kingdom..
As early as the 16th century Benin Kingdom had Europeans enlisted in its army as regular soldiers.

In TAO11 little mind these Europeans were fighting alongside thousands of stark naked Benin soldiers lol.

u dey mind am.... she say Benin speak Yoruba Because one European guy write am...but when we show the one abt her village ,she come dey cry doubtful accounts

After Benin ransacked Lagos less than 400 yr ago...One emotional Awori gal dey try tell us say Na lie with no proof...

how we go settle this one na
Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by Etinosa1234: 7:31pm On Jun 10, 2020
TAO12:

Hahaha, desperate Lagosian wanna-be. grin

(1) First of all, please be aware that your Wikipedia quotation (fraudulently attributed to Robert Smith's "Kingdoms of the Yoruba" ) is not found on the said page or on any other page for that matter.

(2) For some strange reasons, you Binis are fond of presenting the very screenshots that refute you. Lol.

Looking at your highlighted portion of the screenshot, only four aspects relate to Benin as follows:

(a) The part which makes it clear that the Binis ultimately agreed to settle in Lagos peacefully after their many failed attacks.

In fact, as will be seen on another page of the same book, after settling in peacefully for years (as agreed), the Binis (and other migrants) resumed conflict against their host (the Aworis), thus leading to the slaughter of the Benin military commander, Asheru.

(b) The part where the author states (by his use of "perhaps") that the Benin account -- which claims that the Binis settled after outflanking the Lagosians -- was a doubtful account.

(c) The part where the author states (by his use of "perhaps") that the Benin account -- which claims that the Aworis' spread to Iddo (and other places) was due to the ambitions of Benin on the mainland -- was also a doubtful account.

(d) The part where the author states that the supposed control of Lagos -- supposedly by a certain "Oba Orhogba of Benin" -- was merely according to Benin traditions -- different from the Lagos account itself.

Having shown how your attachment disgraces you, I will be giving you a second chance to try harder.

See you, Lagosian wanna-be. grin

cc: lawani, MetaPhysical, BabaRamota1980

Crying Awori gal... show us the one that says otherwise...

u dey fear
Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by Etinosa1234: 7:33pm On Jun 10, 2020
TAO12:

At least Etinosa pretended to be providing evidence for his claim -- although he was ultimately dealt with and disgraced.

You need to read these comments with your eyes open to see where I proved my case and proved him wrong.

But at least he did a better job than you, as he -- at least -- pretended to be presenting something as evidence.

But for you, you would rather dwell on repition.

Don't worry after repeating your claim 500 times, it will be automatically believed by everyone. I promise! grin

nothing like dealt with...if u claim the words of josua ulsheimer are false ...then equally the words of father Columbine is also false

pls cry very more
Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by Etinosa1234: 8:01pm On Jun 10, 2020
Ruggedsniper...I want it like dis

1 Like

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by Etinosa1234: 8:03pm On Jun 10, 2020
TAO12...

I'm still waiting for your own evidence

1 Like

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by gregyboy(m): 8:23pm On Jun 10, 2020
Etinosa1234:

Crying Awori gal... show us the one that says otherwise...

u dey fear

Its a transgendered bro

You should know something about TAO11 she has read all articles youre even going to sort out next against her, bro she is keeping quiet now because she is looking for an article to ridicule your screenshot, if she does not find she will draw you to a different subject matter......

She once argued with me in the past that benins never waged wars against aworis because aworis were just farmers and fishermen and she said who did benin waged war with... That the aworis allowed benin settle in peaceful as they saw us as one oduduwa family ....
Now here she goe again going totally against those words

TAO12, TAO11

1 Like

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by lawani: 8:38pm On Jun 10, 2020
gregyboy:

After twisting the account to favour the aworis, we still have a benin monarchy ruling lagos, i guessed the binis begged the aworis to allow a benin monarchy rule them......lastly the British acccount also recognized the fact that lagos was under benin rule and they paid tribute to benin... Before the British took over lagos.....

Sense bro, sense..... TAO11 has gone mad dont follow suit

we no longer have Benin monarch in Lagos, the oba of Lagos is of Ijesa descent.

1 Like

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by gregyboy(m): 8:47pm On Jun 10, 2020
lawani:
we no longer have Benin monarch in Lagos, the oba of Lagos is of Ijesa descent.

Lol, the current oba of lagos is the guy on the picture below and he dressed in his benin royal regalia.....

Ok lawani you were missed you left TAO11 to be battered by Etinosa1234

Anyway if i have to take your word serious post an article or statement from the current oba of lagos claiming ijesha heriage

1 Like

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by lawani: 8:57pm On Jun 10, 2020
gregyboy:

Lol, the current oba of lagos is the guy on the picture below and he dressed in his benin royal regalia.....

Ok lawani you were missed you left TAO11 to be battered by Etinosa1234

Anyway if i have to take your word serious post an article or statement from the current oba of lagos claiming ijesha heriage
A palace, the Iga Alagbaa was built for his progenitor in Lagos who was begged to stay in Lagos when he wanted to return to Ijesa. From ologuntere down to the present oba are all Ijesa. Benin did not conquer lagos by war, they accepted a Benin prince peacefully. The Ijesa man who was called Alaagba also did not conquer Lagos. He married a princess and became the progenitor, hitherto of Lagos kings. How can you say the Lagos dressed like the Benin monarch? The same way you said the owa obokun dresses like the Benin king. Those are not Benin regalia please.

1 Like

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by gregyboy(m): 9:11pm On Jun 10, 2020
lawani:
A palace, the Iga Alagbaa was built for his progenitor in Lagos who was begged to stay in Lagos when he wanted to return to Ijesa. From ologuntere down to the present oba are all Ijesa. Benin did not conquer lagos by war, they accepted a Benin prince peacefully. The Ijesa man who was called Alaagba also did not conquer Lagos. He married a princess and became the progenitor, hitherto of Lagos kings. How can you say the Lagos dressed like the Benin monarch? The same way you said the owa obokun dresses like the Benin king. Those are not Benin regalia please.

I like you....... Your lies are uniquely yours alone unlike TAO11 who twist the words of scholars to lie but yours are just unique because it comes directly from you......

Your writeup tells peace with no anger but behind the keyboard you got anger against benins.... Lol

I will take you serious when you start quoting scholars rather than quoting yourself
Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by RuggedSniper: 11:02pm On Jun 10, 2020
gregyboy:

After twisting the account to favour the aworis, we still have a benin monarchy ruling lagos, i guessed the binis begged the aworis to allow a benin monarchy rule them......lastly the British acccount also recognized the fact that lagos was under benin rule and they paid tribute to benin... Before the British took over lagos.....

Sense bro, sense..... TAO11 has gone...

^^Oba Kosoko a brutal and rich man from the slave trade, stopped paying annual tribute in the early 1800s to the Oba of Benin and he had developed a strong army to ward off any punitive attack from the Bini. A combined Abeokuta fighting force led by Kosoko's uncle (Oba Akinsemoyin, whose birth mother is from Abeokuta) and the British Naval ships removed him in 1850 to stop the slave trade. The ousted Oba Kosoko is Adekunle 'Gold' Kosoko and Prince Jide Kosoko's direct male ancestor.

1 Like

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by davidnazee: 11:12pm On Jun 10, 2020
lawani:
A palace, the Iga Alagbaa was built for his progenitor in Lagos who was begged to stay in Lagos when he wanted to return to Ijesa. From ologuntere down to the present oba are all Ijesa. [b]Benin did not conquer lagos by war,[/b]they accepted a Benin prince peacefully. The Ijesa man who was called Alaagba also did not conquer Lagos. He married a princess and became the progenitor, hitherto of Lagos kings. How can you say the Lagos dressed like the Benin monarch? The same way you said the owa obokun dresses like the Benin king. Those are not Benin regalia please.

Please is the bold statement a conclusion you arrived at after an extensive research on Benin Kingdom occupation of Lagos? if so please can you quote source(s) to that effect? Because all pages of history says Benin kingdom conquered the Aworis and took over Lagos. There are accounts from personal journal of the European/Benin soldier Joshua Ulshemier of the military campaigns he participated in alongside Benin Army in conquering Lagos.. He was part of the 10,000 Benin soldiers that bombarded Lagos with heavy canons in the 16th century. Do you say he is lying?
Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by Etinosa1234: 12:05am On Jun 11, 2020
lawani:

Which historical evidence supports this...

U go just dey ur Brown roof dey talk wetin nor happen
Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by Etinosa1234: 12:07am On Jun 11, 2020
RuggedSniper:
^^Oba Kosoko a brutal and rich man from the slave trade, stopped paying annual tribute in the early 1800s to the Oba of Benin and he had developed a strong army to ward off any punitive attack from the Bini. A combined Abeokuta fighting force led by Kosoko's uncle (Oba Akinsemoyin, whose birth mother is from Abeokuta) and the British Naval ships removed him in 1850 to stop the slave trade. The ousted Oba Kosoko is Adekunle 'Gold' Kosoko and Prince Jide Kosoko's direct male ancestor.

Alaye post source ...There is no account that oba kosoko fought the Benin..

lets see ur evidence...

And also evidence that the name eko wasn't of Benin origin
Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by Etinosa1234: 12:19am On Jun 11, 2020
TAO12:

Hahaha, desperate Lagosian wanna-be. grin

(1) First of all, please be aware that your Wikipedia quotation (fraudulently attributed to Robert Smith's "Kingdoms of the Yoruba" ) is not found on the said page or on any other page for that matter.

(2) For some strange reasons, you Binis are fond of presenting the very screenshots that refute you. Lol.

Looking at your highlighted portion of the screenshot, only four aspects relate to Benin as follows:

(a) The part which makes it clear that the Binis ultimately agreed to settle in Lagos peacefully after their many failed attacks.

In fact, as will be seen on another page of the same book, after settling in peacefully for years (as agreed), the Binis (and other migrants) resumed conflict against their host (the Aworis), thus leading to the slaughter of the Benin military commander, Asheru.

(b) The part where the author states (by his use of "perhaps") that the Benin account -- which claims that the Binis settled after outflanking the Lagosians -- was a doubtful account.

(c) The part where the author states (by his use of "perhaps") that the Benin account -- which claims that the Aworis' spread to Iddo (and other places) was due to the ambitions of Benin on the mainland -- was also a doubtful account.

(d) The part where the author states that the supposed control of Lagos -- supposedly by a certain "Oba Orhogba of Benin" -- was merely according to Benin traditions -- different from the Lagos account itself.

[s]Having shown how your attachment disgraces you, I will be giving you a second chance to try harder.
[/s]

See me in a Lagos slum

cc: lawani, MetaPhysical, BabaRamota1980
1) pls post the real page 73 of the book kingdom of The Yoruba by Robert Smith.....its highly needed

2a).. Nonsense as usual..Asheru was killed but ashipa and ado who were Benin became the oba of Lagos..So if asheru was killed and the Benin defeated ..what led to reign of ashipa and ado over Lagos...Tell me...its either u are biased or u lack logical thinking

2b) The account clearly states that it was a lagos impression..Ur people were already subdued and had no hope of a prolonged resistance.. Before u say otherwise ...a European josua ulsheimer who was a witness corroborated this evidence that Lagos was a military camp governed by the king and his four generals.. ..A MILITARY CAMP in ur father's land...u think there will be no fight before it happened

2c)Since it was a doubtful due to the word perhaps...can u show a strong evidence that contradict this humble historian words
..The word perhaps means that... There were be many factors that led to The spread of the Awori and one of them could be the advance of Benin..ie Benin were already coming (it was clearly noted)and they were fleeing..
Since its doubtful according to u... kindly post strong evidence that the spread could not be as a result of Benin advance...if not.. then write up is true...take it to The bank

2d)All are the same...it is more evident that oba orhorgbua was the one who set up a military camp in ur fathers land..I made the mistake saying Erhengbuda...no evidence as such...
except u can provide me one I think

Lol... okobo ..u showed nothing but ur inability to read and understand

Awwwnn...Don't cry abt ur forefathers anymore... I'm sure dey have already moved on..why don't u also do that
Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by Etinosa1234: 12:22am On Jun 11, 2020
lawani:
[s]we no longer have Benin monarch in Lagos, the oba of Lagos is of Ijesa descent.[/s]

source or there is no difference between u and a drunkard
Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by Etinosa1234: 12:24am On Jun 11, 2020
gregyboy:

Its a transgendered bro

You should know something about TAO11 she has read all articles youre even going to sort out next against her, bro she is keeping quiet now because she is looking for an article to ridicule your screenshot, if she does not find she will draw you to a different subject matter......

She once argued with me in the past that benins never waged wars against aworis because aworis were just farmers and fishermen and she said who did benin waged war with... That the aworis allowed benin settle in peaceful as they saw us as one oduduwa family ....
Now here she goe again going totally against those words

TAO12, TAO11

Lol she can talk all this Kain small pikin lie sha
Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by MetaPhysical: 2:23am On Jun 11, 2020
Etinosa1234:

But talk true...this thin pain u Sha...nor cry
Doubtful account because it talks about ur village... lemme see ur own page 73 of u are really sure

Etinosa,
I read your attachment but I dont get the point of it, maybe I missed other posts preceeding this.....but what is point here, are you saying Benin invaded Lagos and warred with Aworis?
Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by davidnazee: 2:41am On Jun 11, 2020
MetaPhysical:

Etinosa,
I read your attachment but I dont get the point of it, maybe I missed other posts preceeding this.....but what is point here, are you saying Benin invaded Lagos and warred with Aworis?

A summary ....

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by TAO12: 6:31am On Jun 11, 2020
Etinosa1234:

Doubtful account because it talks about ur village... lemme see ur own page 73 of u are really sure

Warning!!! The following comments will require you to make use of your brain. Thank you.

A Benin youth saw the word “perhaps” in his own attachment, yet he insists that this word is used to express “certainty” rather than “doubt”. Sighs!

Whosoever has been charged with the responsibility of teaching you the English language must be sued for damages immediately. Get your refund now!

However, in case you are partially amnesiac, refer again to the link below for my refutation which shows how Robert Smith himself indicates that the said account of the Binis is doubtful:

https://www.nairaland.com/5846195/benins-owners-ogboni-confraternity-olokun/13#90516812

(1) Having said that, your highlighted allusion to the “account of Josua Ulsheimer, who visited Lagos in 1603” is in fact “corroborative” as Robert Smith has rightfully noted on the same page of your attachment.

Notice that the Benin “military camp” alluded to in that account is not the whole of the then Lagos itself, but only one specific parcel of one of the islands – a specific section of Iddo to be precise.

The maximum logical inference any sane mind will deduce from this is that there was indeed some ongoing conflict in Lagos at the time Ulseimer visited; and that the Binis (who have settled in Lagos as an immigrant trading group long before Ulseimer’s visit) were an active participant in this conflict.

To draw the strange conclusion that this clear statement (from Ulsheimer’s account) relates otherwise to some land-grabbing military conquest and colonization expedition by some foreign element (Binis) is not only laughably far-fetched and unfounded; it is also, in fact, expressive of a desperate attempt by certain insecure Bini Nairalanders to become a Lagosian by hook or by crook. Lol.

I have, in fact, stated already in an earlier comment (citing same Smith’s account on Asheru’s death, page 74 to be precise) that Lagos during this period was characterized [not only by lots of trade, but also] by lots of conflicts and skirmishes in which the Binis [among other immigrant trading groups such as the Ijebu, the Ilaje, the Ikale, the Owo, the Egba, the Egbado, the Aja, and the Ijaw] were active participants.

At this point, it has become clear -- to anyone who has even a grain of sanity -- that there is not an atom of disagreement between this allusion to Ulsheimer’s account, and the narrative I have been defending from the beginning that the oft-repeated Benin account of conquest and colonization of Lagos is not corroborated by the Lagos account, neither is it corroborated by any extant eyewitness account.

[Continue reading below]

cc: RuggedSniper, lawani, MetaPhysical, BabaRamota1980, Amujale, Olu317, macof, Obalufon, Moneywomen17, gomojam, Babtoundey

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by TAO12: 6:36am On Jun 11, 2020
Etinosa1234:

The Lagos account (which differs from the Benin account in a number of important respects) maintains that the first settling of the Binis in Lagos was achieved by a peaceful infiltration [just like the other groups who were also attracted by the booming trade along the coast of Lagos] and not by conquest.

This Lagos account was clearly spelt out in your own attachment from Robert Smith’s “The Kingdoms of the Yoruba”. I am shocked (irony. Lol) that you didn’t see it. Robert Smith notes on same page 73 that:

The impression given by Lagos tradition is that this was achieved by peaceful infiltration rather than by conquest.

This Lagos account of the peaceful migration/settling of the Binis in Lagos is also echoed by Professor S.A. Akintoye on page 221 of his “A History of the Yoruba People” as follows:

By the late sixteenth century, owing to the growth of the coastal lagoon trade, Lagos and the other small Awori settlements had come to have a sizeable resident population of Ijebu, Benin, Ilaje, Ikale, Owo, Egba, Egbado, Aja and Ijaw traders.”

(2) Regarding your second attachment (which is interestingly anonymous. Lol), I am sorry to break your heart that the account of a “quarrel” between the Awori people and a certain Aina, who sought redress from Benin is at best interesting, but at worst in fact unfounded either in the Lagos account or in the Benin account. It is simply a spurious account for its lacking of basis in any of the two kingdoms’ accounts – Lagos or Benin.

(a) Moreover, unlike your anonymous author claimed in this second attachment, the specific origin of the name “Eko” is not known by historians with any certainty. Robert Smith, in the same book on page 72, puts it as follows:

Its names reflect its past; to the Yoruba it is Eko, deriving probably from the farm (oko) of the earliest settlers, though alternatively – or additionally – it may be the Bini word (eko) for a war-camp.

At this point, it is already known that the Binis (who, among others, later came to settle in Lagos) pitched their war-camp on one of the islands during the eruptions of trade conflicts in Lagos between the Benins (and some of the other non-Awori resident trading groups) on one hand, and the Aworis on the other hand.

Also, it is known that the Yorubas -- in addition to the word “farm” -- also use the word “oko” to signify the word “countryside” (i.e. the then Lagos in relation to the then grander city of Ife from where the first settlers, the Aworis, originally came).

In the light of these two historical realities, the most logical deduction obviously is that the present name “Eko” is no more than a phono-semantic matching of the Yoruba word for countryside and the Edo word for war-camp, rather than simply one and only one of the two.

[Continue reading below]

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by TAO12: 6:39am On Jun 11, 2020
Etinosa1234:

(b) Regarding the identity and citizenship of the first king of the present dynasty (i.e. Ashipa also spelt Asipa) whom the anonymous author of your second screenshot called a “Benin warrior”, the Lagos account is again radically different from the Benin account on this.

The Benin traditions as documented by Chief Egharevba notes that Ashipa is a grandson of the then Oba of Benin.

However, Chief Egharevba himself recognized the absence of such name in the Benin lexicon, he thus suggested that this name is the same as the word “Esikpa” from the Edo phrase Aisika-hienbore (meaning “we shall not desert this place” ).

On the other hand, the Lagos account notes that Ashipa (the first king of the present dynasty) is an Awori chief from Isheri. In relation to the Lagos account on Ashipa’s identity, Robert Smith writes on page 74 that:

Ashipa [is] an Isheri chief … (like Ogunfunminire and the Olofin before him) of the Ife royalty".

Similarly, Professor S.A. Akintoye too took note of this Lagos account on page 221 of his “A History of the Yoruba People” as follows:

“a certain Awori man named Asipa, described in Lagos traditions as an Iseri chief of Ife royal descent.

Having said that, it is important that I add at this point that while the name “Ashipa” is conspicuously absent from the Edo lexicon, it is widespread among the Yorubas since earlier times.

For example, one of the high nobles of the Oyo Empire (by the 1500s or prior) is known as Ashipa (also spelt Asipa). Refer to page 33 of Robert Smith’s “The Kingdoms of the Yoruba”.

[Continue reading below]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by TAO12: 6:41am On Jun 11, 2020
Etinosa1234:

In summary, the above examination and careful analysis of the sources reveal the following:

(1) There is not just only one official traditional account describing these Lagos events of around the 1600s, rather there are two of such accounts. While there is the Benin account, there is also the Lagos account.

(2) The Benin account and the Lagos account differ in a number of important respects. While the Benin account lays claim to an outright conquest, the Lagos account talks of a peaceful settling in of greener-pastures seekers.

(3) The Lagos account notes that sometimes after the peaceful settling of the Binis and the rest, some trade conflicts broke out leading the immigrants to be pitched against their host.

(4) This foregoing description of a later conflict, by the Lagos account, is corroborated by Andreas Josua Ulsheimer’s account to the effect that the Bini side to a certain conflict was camped in one of the islands of the then Lagos.

(5) Historians do not know with certainty whether the name “Eko” is purely from Edo or purely from Yoruba. From my careful consideration of the contexts, however, I am drawn to the conclusion that it is not simply one of the two, but both. A phono-semantic matching to be precise.

(6) While the Benin account claims that Ashipa (i.e. the first king of the present dynasty) is a grandson of the then Oba of Benin, the Lagos account identifies him clearly as an Awori-Yoruba of Ife royalty, from Isheri.

(7) While Egharevba’s link of the name “Ashipa” to Edo language is rough (or absurd), a link of the same name to Yoruba language is clear, direct, widespread, and ancient. In fact, it means “one who paves the path (for others)” – i.e. “the leader”.

(8 ) Not only does the above account of Ulsheimer not corroborate the Benin account of royal conquest or colonization, the Benin account of royal conquest is also not supported by the key indicator of such conquests – that is, linguistic indicator.

In other words, there is absolutely no account (oral or documented) of Edo language being spoken in the Lagos palace (or in any part of Lagos for that matter) at any period of history.

(10) Finally, I should add here -- for the sake of completeness -- that the Benin Kingdom later came to be very much involved in the royal family of Lagos.

The first step towards this involvement was initiated by prince Ashipa himself when he sought political alliance with the then Oba of Benin.

The second (and perhaps the sealing step) was also initiated by Ashipa when he got married to a Benin princess.

I appreciate your strong desire to be a Lagosian, but such desire should not be sought desperately by hook or by crook. Doing that only bares your inferiority even further. Take care of yourself.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by gregyboy(m): 7:49am On Jun 11, 2020
RuggedSniper:

Dont get you what's your point
Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by TAO12: 7:51am On Jun 11, 2020
gregyboy:
(1)Its a transgendered bro

(2)You should know something about TAO11 she has read all articles youre even going to sort out next against her, bro she is keeping quiet now because she is looking for an article to ridicule your screenshot, if she does not find she will draw you to a different subject matter......

(3) She once argued with me in the past that benins never waged wars against aworis because aworis were just farmers and fishermen and she said who did benin waged war with... That the aworis allowed benin settle in peaceful as they saw us as one oduduwa family ....
Now here she goe again going totally against those words.

(1) Lmao at trans. Anyway, you forgot to tell him that you're gay. At least that was confirmed by you yourself when you were once describing gay joints.

(2) Why are you so dead-scared of me? Is it because of how I tear Benin Kingdom apart? cheesy Don't worry I will soon leave Nairaland. I know Binis will hold a fest if I eventually leave. Anyways, I will be here for a long time. Year 2030 will only be the beginning. grin cheesy

(3) You smelly-mouthed, janus-faced, fatuous, pathetic lair. Where did I ever have such discussion as the bolded with you. Attach a screenshot, or a link or both to where I discusses the bolded with you. Olodo. Atoole. Benin Kingdom obviously needs pathetic liars like you.

I was already considering your application to be naturalized as a Lagosian, but you just ruined your chance with this big lie. You lie through your teeth shamelessly. Scum of the earth.

gregyboy:
[s]After twisting the account to favour the aworis, we still have a benin monarchy ruling lagos, i guessed the binis begged the aworis to allow a benin monarchy rule them......lastly the British acccount also recognized the fact that lagos was under benin rule and they paid tribute to benin... Before the British took over lagos.....

Sense bro, sense..... TAO11 has gone mad dont follow suit.[/s]

There wasn't a single time when a Bini became king in Lagos. Not once. The first king of the present Lagos dynasty is Yoruba. The claim of the Benin account is unfounded. Refer above to see the latest spanking received by your Lagosian-wanna-be brother.

The relationship between the Lagos royalty and the Benin royalty is completely different from what you Edos wish it was. It began purely as a political alliance and then got consolidated through marriage. You all must stop dreaming. grin

Moreover, the royal emblem which Oba Akiolu is holding is an indigenous Yoruba emblem of office called Akpe by the Yorubas. They are originally despatched from Ife in ancient times alongside the Ada/Ida another ceremonial 'sword'.

The Ada & Eben, as the Binis call them, were first introduced to Benin from Ife by Ogiso Ere who is an Ife-Yoruba emissary sent to oversee Igodomigodo. I have beaten you black and blue on this before.

To be fair, it is not impossible that the present Lagos dynasty obtained its own from Benin considering the political and familial connection that later played out.

This is however by no means the same thing as your shallow conclusion that Ada & Eben (as the Binis call it) was invented by Benin. No, ifor the umpteenth time time it was introduced to Benin itself from the Yoruba center of civilization -- Ife.

And the Lagos' use could have survived from the earlier Lagos dynasty prior to Ashipa himself, it could also have been the result of cultural accretion from Benin.

For a certainty, however, the present Lagos dynasty is purely of Yoruba patrilineal blood from Ashipa himself (an Awori), and so on to Olokun-Kutere (an Ijesa), and so on till date. There is no Benin patrilineal blood whatsoever in that royal line anywhere from the beginning till date.

These ceremonial emblems are originally known throughout Yorubaland as Ada-Ogun & Akpe with the Ada-Ogun coming later to be associated with another later war personage in Yoruba history, i.e. Oranmiyan. Thus these emblems came to be know as Ida-Oranmiyan & Akpe.

Other Yoruba kingdoms have variant names for the "Ada"/"Ida" such as "Agada" or "Ele" as is popular among the Ijebus. Samples of the Ada Ogun ceremonial sword can be seen in Museums across the world.

Refer to the attachment below to behold the despatch of Ada & Akpe from Ife to Sir Kesington A. Adebutu of Ijebu-IperuRemo during his installation as the Odole Oodua.

cc: RuggedSniper, lawani, MetaPhysical, BabaRamota1980, gomojam

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by gregyboy(m): 7:59am On Jun 11, 2020
TAO12:

There wasn't a single time when a Bini became king in Lagos. Not once. The first king of the present Lagos dynasty is Yoruba. The claim of the Benin account is unfounded. Refer above to see the latest spanking your Lagosian-wanna-be brother has received.

The relationship between the Lagos royalty and the Benin royalty is completely different from what you Edos think it is. It began purely as a political alliance and got consolidated through marriage. You all must stop dreaming. grin

Moreover, the royal insignia which Oba Akiolu is holding is an indigenous Yoruba emblem of office which were originally despatched from Ife. The Ada & Eben as the Binis call it was obtained from Ife through Ogiso Ere who is an Ife-Yoruba emissary sent to oversee Igodomigodo.

These ceremonial emblems are originally known throughout Yorubaland as Ada-Ogun & Akpe with the Ada-Ogun coming later to be associated with another later war personage in Yoruba history, i.e. Oranmiyan. Thus these emblems came to be know as Ida-Oranmiyan & Akpe.

Other Yoruba kingdoms have variant names for the "Ada"/"Ida" such as "Agada" or "Ele" as is popular among the Ijebus. Samples of the Ada Ogun ceremonial sword can be seen in Museums across the world.

Refer to the attachment below to behold the despatch of Ada & Akpe from Ife to Sir Kesington A. Adebutu of Ijebu-IperuRemo during his installation as the Odole Oodua.

cc: RuggedSniper, lawani, MetaPhysical, BabaRamota1980, gomojam

I need an article from 1475 to 1914 supporting the ownership of ada and eben to ife or archaeological evidence
Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by TAO12: 8:07am On Jun 11, 2020
gregyboy:

I need an article from 1475 to 1914 supporting the ownership of ada and eben to ife or archaeological evidence

I need an article from 1475 to 1914 which says that Ada and Akpe were invented by Benin. Mumu boy!

Binis be adducing their dumbness as supporting evidence for their pathetic positions.

bleeped up people. grin

... So, as I was saying before I was rudely interrupted by a scum... grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by TAO12: 8:22am On Jun 11, 2020
Etinosa1234:

nothing like dealt with...if u claim the words of josua ulsheimer are false ...then equally the words of father Columbine is also false

pls cry very more

I am not sure where you got the idea from that I claimed Ulsheimer's words to be false. cheesy I can, however, understand your frustration about Father Columbine's account though.

Etinosa1234:
[s]Crying Awori gal... show us the one that says otherwise...

u dey fear[/s]

Just as I always advice gregyboy, you need to always read your own screenshots before posting them to avoid embarrassing moments like this.

Your own screenshot cited the Lagos account to the effect that the Binis settled into Lagos peacefully and not by conquest.

Yet, you're supposedly still yearning to see an evidence which says that the Binis did not settle in by conquest.

Who did this to you? cheesy

cc: gomojam MetaPhysical, lawani, RuggedSniper

4 Likes

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by gregyboy(m): 8:50am On Jun 11, 2020
TAO12:

I need an article from 1475 to 1914 which says that Ada and Akpe were invented by Benin. Mumu boy!

Binis be adducing their dumbness as supporting evidence for their pathetic positions.

bleeped up people. grin

... So, as I was saying before I was rudely interrupted by a scum... grin

Lol, i will give you archeological evidence when i have my spare time i will also give you European documented account too

Learn to watch your tongue

Achaeological evidence dating from the 15c

Mumu lady......

You know you lie alot, am your nightmare not just your tnightmare alone the entire yoruba nightmare included

I need an archaeological support fron you too claiming ownership

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by TAO12: 8:53am On Jun 11, 2020
gregyboy:

[s]Lol, i will give you archeological evidence when i have my spare time i will also give you European documented account too

Learn to watch your tongue

Achaeological evidence dating from the 15c

Mumu lady......[/s]

This is no proof of invention.

Try harder or keep saving face. grin

1 Like

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by gregyboy(m): 8:57am On Jun 11, 2020
TAO12:

This is no proof of invention.

Try harder or keep saving face. grin

Lol, atleast support it first with archeological fact that it was also used in ife..... Before we can trace its invention
Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by gregyboy(m): 9:19am On Jun 11, 2020
The problem of TAO11 she reads to many scrap from the internet she doesn't have a life apart from reading material that will go against benin history.......

Lagos fell under benin control by conquest and paid tribute to the oba before it was later stopped by the British, the British only recognized
Only One king in the entire lagos which was the oba of lagos the others sprung up after 1914

I promise not to argue already settle lagos - benin relationship even without reading your history book reality will stare it at your face

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (28) (Reply)

Crisis In Ile-ife As Ruling Houses Battle Over Oba Sijuwade’s Successor / Are Aworis And Eguns Yoruba? / Oba Fatai Irawo Of 'Odi-olowo' Is Dead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 132
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.