Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,669 members, 7,809,530 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:55 AM

The South West And Nigeria: A Call For Opinions - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The South West And Nigeria: A Call For Opinions (6982 Views)

South West And Calculations Ahead Of 2023 Presidency / Kogi 2019: Dino Melaye Storms Kogi West And Central (Video) / My Advice to APC, Tinubu,South West And Osibanjo For 2023 Presidency (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The South West And Nigeria: A Call For Opinions by PeterUdeme: 11:11pm On May 16, 2020
Dedetwo:

This was never Ironsi's broadcast. This is crap concocted by the western region media houses of 1966-67.

Bring the original let’s compare.

4 Likes

Re: The South West And Nigeria: A Call For Opinions by T9ksy(m): 11:11pm On May 16, 2020
Dedetwo:

This was never Ironsi's broadcast. This is crap concocted by the western region media houses of 1966-67.

Dende, of course, it's crap. would you like to present the precise broadcast by Ironsi?

5 Likes

Re: The South West And Nigeria: A Call For Opinions by DMerciful(m): 11:15pm On May 16, 2020
The constitution at independence has been abandoned since the 60s or 70s. Even if there was secession clause, we no longer use that independence constitution. When will you understand this rather than repeating a debasing lie? How come Azikiwe was able to oppress Awolowo, Balewa, Amadu Bello etc? Be guided!
flokii:

All you've stated could have been avoided if not for Azikiwe, Ironsi and the Easterners who fought the inclusion of a "SECESSION CLAUSE" in the constitution.

It could have been so easy. Anyone who wants to leave could leave without bloodshed but NO, Azikiwe out of greed and hope of Igbo dominace blew it all away.

So you see why we say the Igbos are the architect of this failing system we have today. The recklessness of their leaders in connivance with the North ruined everything.

Come 2023, Yorubas will take over governance in Nigeria and things will change.

2 Likes

Re: The South West And Nigeria: A Call For Opinions by Gucciboss: 11:23pm On May 16, 2020
Simbrixton:
how can someone be so myopic to blame yoruba on everything

Go to edo state and see the complexity in their politics are edo people yoruba

Are Igala people yoruba

Igbos must stop victimising yorubas let's move on abeg

All dese one dimensional way of thinking like broken records

Is not helping

Lol. You need to cool down.
Anyway, You are one in a thousand. Most of your people actually think differently.
Re: The South West And Nigeria: A Call For Opinions by plessis: 11:32pm On May 16, 2020
flokii:

All you've stated could have been avoided if not for Azikiwe, Ironsi and the Easterners who fought the inclusion of a "SECESSION CLAUSE" in the constitution.

It could have been so easy. Anyone who wants to leave could leave without bloodshed but NO, Azikiwe out of greed and hope of Igbo dominace blew it all away.

So you see why we say the Igbos are the architect of this failing system we have today. The recklessness of their leaders in connivance with the North ruined everything.

Are you naturally foolish?

The OP asked you to share ideas on pushing your nation forward and the only thing you could do is trade blames.

behave!

2 Likes

Re: The South West And Nigeria: A Call For Opinions by Nobody: 11:36pm On May 16, 2020
Balogunodua:
Wow Intresting!

But i think restructuring should be our main goal now.

Presidency in 2023 first, then we restructure on our own terms

2 Likes

Re: The South West And Nigeria: A Call For Opinions by Nobody: 11:42pm On May 16, 2020
kingawothefirst:

This should be the plan.

2 Likes

Re: The South West And Nigeria: A Call For Opinions by llakes4real: 11:54pm On May 16, 2020
flokii:

We had it once you know.. until the Nzeogwu coup and emergence of Aguiyi Ironsi as Head of State.

What makes you think another "ironsi" won't rise tomorrow to abolish the true federalism?

Then Nigeria ceases to exist!
Re: The South West And Nigeria: A Call For Opinions by llakes4real: 12:00am On May 17, 2020
Odingo1:
Yoruba don't want anything in Nigeria, they are just satisfied with Igbo marginalization and hoping that power will keep on rotating between yoruba and north but in 2023 they will kiss the dust in Nigeria politics and they will never recover in the long run. No future, no ambition, nothing just hope to be receiving monthly allocation from Abuja from Niger delta oil and thats all.

To you people everything is oil money. Even if Yoruba lose out in 2023 we will do fine for ourselves as we have done since independence. So it is nothing new!

5 Likes

Re: The South West And Nigeria: A Call For Opinions by nisai: 12:01am On May 17, 2020
Iceberg3:
2023 presidency belongs to the south east.

If any saboteurs southerner wanna prove smart,no problemo, the north continues
grin grin grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The South West And Nigeria: A Call For Opinions by llakes4real: 12:16am On May 17, 2020
nijabazaar:

Can I mention biafra without a Yoruba going berserk?
Even in my office, I get attacked for showing the slightest of sympathy to Biafran causes. All my attackers are yoruba and the staff is diverse. The northern often appear non plussed. But the Yorubas will drown you with Reasons why Nigeria is the best paradise on earth

It's a cause vs effect thing.

You guys love Nigeria and will die for her.

Because many are not thinking about post
Nigeria. If Nigeria breaks up the way you guys want, I promise you we will spend the next 20 years fighting each other for land.

We have to sit down and decide who owns and takes what. The mistake of South Sudan should not be repeated by us in this information age.

1 Like

Re: The South West And Nigeria: A Call For Opinions by llakes4real: 12:18am On May 17, 2020
diplomat058:
Well, your conclusion reeks of hasty generalization induced by bigotry of mindset. Many Igbos on this forum too hardly discuss Biafra without calling Yorubas sorts of derogatory names, but I don't use their shameful dispositions to conclude that the Igbos are antithetical to Yoruba progress. This is especiall of Nnamdi KANU who always calls Yorubas hateful names on radio Biafra

Many of them lack respect! Something is deficient in their upbringing.
Re: The South West And Nigeria: A Call For Opinions by llakes4real: 12:26am On May 17, 2020
nijabazaar:

No. It's not bigotry darling. It's the reality.

Unless you are new here, which is I suspect, all the voracious attackers of biafra here are the Yorubas. Check the Biafran threads here, any critic of Biafra has a Ypruba monikers or known yoruba affiliations.

So, I still conclude that my dog has the greatest chance at forming five word syllables than an influential Yoruba convincing his people on the need to secede from Nigeria.

The yorubas like Nigeria as it is. And why is that? It could all be a primal fear of venturing into the unknown. They, the Yorubas and her affiliates , would rather stick to familiar grounds

And the Yoruba people calling for restructuring are what? For years Yoruba have been preaching restructuring but you guys and the north didn't listen because you were scared the South west and south south would better.

3 Likes

Re: The South West And Nigeria: A Call For Opinions by SIRTee15: 12:33am On May 17, 2020
kingawothefirst:

So what happened if Yoruba don't clinch the 2023 presidency....
What next....

The present Yorubas, especially the political elites are becoming more pro-nigeria and this is very disturbing...
They have this delusion nigeria will exist forever.....

I think it's high time we Yorubas begin to think of our existence without nigeria....
There's no guarantee this country can survive the sword of Damocles hanging over it....
We are too divided and can only get worse....

The 2 things holding us together remain the oil and western powers....
Oil will soon become irrelevant and western power's interest in nigeria will dwindle.....

Besides, the upcoming youths from restive region will have less tolerance n patience for injustice meted to their regions all in the name of one Nigeria.....

The earlier we chart our future away from Nigeria, the better for us...
Less we get caught unaware......

People keep saying Yoruba elites are keeping quiet until they assume position of power in 2023...
Hmmmm....I pray this is true....
because as far as am concerned....
All Tinubu cares about is continuous flow of bullion van into his bourdillon compound viz a viz naija delta oil.....

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The South West And Nigeria: A Call For Opinions by llakes4real: 12:46am On May 17, 2020
kingawothefirst:

Presidency in 2023 first, then we restructure our own terms

DuwaRepublic:

This should be the plan.

No southern Nigeria president can restructure Nigeria! We don't have the power! Unless you want to cause another civil war. Even big men in the south who are enjoying the present rot in the system don't want the country restructured! Our only hope is an economic crisis. The same way Covid19 is making northern governors rethink almajiri system is the same way this way all our leaders would rethink the country's structure.

2 Likes

Re: The South West And Nigeria: A Call For Opinions by llakes4real: 12:48am On May 17, 2020
nisai:
grin grin grin

I don't know who stops them from picking the PDP ticket!
Re: The South West And Nigeria: A Call For Opinions by NGpatriot: 1:55am On May 17, 2020
Fear of Yoruba is the beginning of wisdom.

Some people can not go their own way unless Yoruba people lead the way to the promised land, even when they foolishly went to war and lost, they still blamed their foolishness on Yoruba people.

Leave Yoruba people alone and follow your rainbow, fight for your freedom if you really are serious about your freedom, stop hiding under Yoruba people.

Yoruba people are independent-thinking people, they don't dance to other people's tune.

4 Likes

Re: The South West And Nigeria: A Call For Opinions by SpecialAdviser(m): 2:38am On May 17, 2020
SIRTee15:

So what happened if Yoruba don't clinch the 2023 presidency....
What next....

The present Yorubas, especially the political elites are becoming more pro-nigeria and this is very disturbing...
They have this delusion nigeria will exist forever.....

I think it's high time we Yorubas begin to think of our existence without nigeria....
There's no guarantee this country can survive the sword of Damocles hanging over it....
We are too divided and can only get worse....

The 2 things holding us together remain the oil and western powers....
Oil will soon become irrelevant and western power's interest in nigeria will dwindle.....

Besides, the upcoming youths from restive region will have less tolerance n patience for injustice meted to their regions all in the name of one Nigeria.....

The earlier we chart our future away from Nigeria, the better for us...
Less we get caught unaware......

People keep saying Yoruba elites are keeping quiet until they assume position of power in 2023...
Hmmmm....I pray this is true....
because as far as am concerned....
All Tinubu cares about is continuous flow of bullion van into his bourdillon compound viz a viz naija delta oil.....

The fact remains that the north knows that any southerner clinging presidency in 2023 will really portend a great danger to the unity of Nigeria.

They may not have the option but to relinquish it to whichever region they want. But the question is, should the southerner become president, will he have the courage to restructure the country? Especially with northern continuous dominance in several areas of governance under Buhari administration? The answer is capital NO. You will still need the house of reps and senate to approve whatever the president wants. This is including the judiciary. Guess what, they already have dominance in both arms of the government.

This is why I make do to say that the Yorubas waiting for 2023 is not just s.tupid, its lack of direction. I bet you time will come and in fact its already around the corner when Yorubas will be begging to leave this country. The earlier they stop taunting Nnamdi Kanu myopically the better for them. All these pretence that one Nigeria is all that they need will not suffice. Time for them to be courageous and bold enough to express their stand is now. Before APC came into governance, they were chanting sovereign national conference. Even the VP at a time called for state police. They even have always called for restructuring. All of a sudden in this dispensation they lost their voice and believed in Nigeria for better for worse.

Yorubas need to wake up to the fact that Nigeria is a failed project. My opinion though.,

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The South West And Nigeria: A Call For Opinions by tamdun: 2:46am On May 17, 2020
helinues:

Restructuring is not visible in Nigeria for now . That's the reality people are shying away from.

Didn't Osinbajo lead restructuring campaign during OBJ's government? Why did he shun the idea now that he is VP?

Obasanjo talking restructuring is only being mischievous.. How many states in Nigeria can survive without oil revenue?

Has any region created an alternative for revenue generation should in case of oil drop like this?

Restructuring bill won't pass second reading ..May be from 10 years oo and that's only if this Corona would reset the brain of our leaders.
They will surely survive without oil revenues,awolowo performed well without oil, besides oil will soon be useless.

2 Likes

Re: The South West And Nigeria: A Call For Opinions by bakynes(m): 2:48am On May 17, 2020
llakes4real:

No southern Nigeria president can restructure Nigeria! We don't have the power! Unless you want to cause another civil war. Even big men in the south who are enjoying the present rot in the system don't want the country restructured! Our only hope is an economic crisis. The same way Covid19 is making northern governors rethink almajiri system is the same way this way all our leaders would rethink the country's structure.
Lets not deceive ourselves both Igbos and Yorubas do not like the Power the North is using to dominate us. I am Yoruba and i like the courage the igbos have to leave Nigeria because there is no future for this country, it will only get worse. Though Azikiwe caused all this. Lets put that aside and focus on the main issue, there are two ways the tribes in the South can successful leave Nigeria.

1. The emergence of a Southern President, that will have the balls to stylishly restructure the military to take away the dominance of the North. Remember the North dominate the military without that no Southern tribe will be able to secede.

2. Another Civil War but this time the Igbos or Yorubas must win the war without the other tribe supporting the North like we Yorubas did when we supported the North.

My conclusion, the only way the constituent ethnic nations can prosper is for an homogenous country like that of the Western countries.

3 Likes

Re: The South West And Nigeria: A Call For Opinions by bakynes(m): 2:54am On May 17, 2020
SpecialAdviser:

The fact remains that the north knows that any southerner clinging presidency in 2023 will really portend a great danger to the unity of Nigeria.

They may not have the option but to relinquish it to whichever region they want. But the question is, should the southerner become president, will he have the courage to restructure the country? Especially with northern continuous dominance in several areas of governance under Buhari administration? The answer is capital NO. You will still need the house of reps and senate to approve whatever the president wants. This is including the judiciary. Guess what, they already have dominance in both arms of the government.

This is why I make do to say that the Yorubas waiting for 2023 is not just s.tupid, its lack of direction. I bet you time will come and in fact its already around the corner when Yorubas will be begging to leave this country. The earlier they stop taunting Nnamdi Kanu myopically the better for them. All these pretence that one Nigeria is all that they need will not suffice. Time for them to be courageous and bold enough to express their stand is now. Before APC came into governance, they were chanting sovereign national conference. Even the VP at a time called for state police. They even have always called for restructuring. All of a sudden in this dispensation they lost their voice and believed in Nigeria for better for worse.

Yorubas need to wake up to the fact that Nigeria is a failed project. My opinion though.,
Lets not deceive ourselves both Igbos and Yorubas do not like the Power the North is using to dominate us. I am Yoruba and i like the courage the igbos have to leave Nigeria because there is no future for this country, it will only get worse. Though Azikiwe caused all this. Lets put that aside and focus on the main issue, there are two ways the tribes in the South can successful leave Nigeria.

1. The emergence of a Southern President, that will have the balls to stylishly restructure the military to take away the dominance of the North. Remember the North dominate the military without that no Southern tribe will be able to secede.

2. Another Civil War but this time the Igbos or Yorubas must win the war without the other tribe supporting the North like we Yorubas did when we supported the North.

My conclusion, the only way the constituent ethnic nations can prosper is for an homogenous country like that of the Western countries.

2 Likes

Re: The South West And Nigeria: A Call For Opinions by llakes4real: 3:34am On May 17, 2020
bakynes:

1. The emergence of a Southern President, that will stylishly restructure the military to take away the dominance of the North. Remember the North dominate the military without that no Southern tribe will be able to secede.

And you think the core northerners would not notice? That is what they have been investing in all these years! Do you know all the headquarters of our military agencies are in the north. Even some people in the north central would frustrate the effort of such president. The violence the whole country is experience now would be child's play! A Buhari can do the nonsense he is doing now because he knows the power behind him, but no southern can try it. That was why an Obasanjo just had to follow their dictate, because he understands the repercussion.

On a second thought if we had a president who would not care about the unity of this country, he could just frustrate them them to carry out their violence. And then the whole country rise against them. This would lead to war, but the South and some north central would unite together to fight the common enemy.

2. Another Civil War that both this time the Igbos or Yoruba must win the war without any other side supporting the North like we Yorubas did when we supported the North.

Another civil war might be dangerous for Yoruba people, because we are sympathetic to both the North and South. Which might need to a split amongst us. There are core Muslims in Yorubaland who would follow the Fulani and Hausa to the grave and their are Yorubas who have intermarried and have strong relationships with Igbo people and SS people. So I don't pray we experience another war, because we don't have a single leader like Awolowo to direct things.

I also don't like the way things are. The annoying part I really had high hopes for Buhari. I expected the man to be fair, but the man has so far disappointed me big time.

I would repeat the only safe way Nigeria can rethink our structure is if there is an economic crisis that those big men like Danjuma, stop getting oil money and the whole country becomes very broke. We are almost at that point now, but many are still expecting the oil price to rise.

A major economic crisis might also lead to the dissolution of the country, but I don't pray for this either because there would be various intertribal wars for lands. So many tribes are intertwined and separating us from each and awarding land to all needs some thinking.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The South West And Nigeria: A Call For Opinions by lx3as(m): 7:31am On May 17, 2020
Yorubas are independent thinking people; with little emotions and could forgive, forget and move on easily.

We don't have future in present Nigeria as constituted without true federalism, restructuring or con-federalism.

Look, my grandfather, my father and myself lived and live in the same situation with dreams and hopes. Nothing is realised or achieved and you want me to support same for my coming generations, who will have little history of who they are?

Oil will dry, militancy and Islamic fanatics will increase, looking for more lands for conquering and subjugation. Even if Boko haram is defeated, many more like that will emerge in the North. The earlier we have strong regional boundaries or separate countries the better.

Anyone vying for president isn't doing wrong as citizen but that is not the solution. Moreover, these people are contesting for personal aggrandizement not for their people; the time of legends like Awo, Enahoro, etc.is far gone. We're just in one spot with all the problems in this world without any improvement or development, only mediocrity.

I will suggest, people that are already fighting for independence or restructuring should fight harder and better because present leadership and people gaining from the present set-up will always device deceptive ways to maintain status quo. They have what it takes (money, religions, ethnicicy) to cajole the masses along their selfish interests.

We should drop excuses, blame games, emotions and look more to the society we all want for our children. We must know that there would be oppositions to our resolves and there are lots and lots of wicked, terrible people and selfish interests in our midst.. that should not stop our positive moves in anyway. We must be determine, dedicated and ready to lay the foundation with any COST without holding back for posterity.

We're just being played like game..love to deceive ourselves and shy away from reality. Really like what Prof Banji Akintoye and others are doing..

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The South West And Nigeria: A Call For Opinions by Uchek(m): 8:51am On May 17, 2020
Stop lying!

flokii:
One thing you must understand is that Yorubas are blessed and naturally ahead.. despite being in the opposition since Independence with Northern and Eastern regions in power, South West still fared well while the duo can't pin point any particular thing they achieved with power held for years.

Pa Awolowo is the reason why Yorubas have a voice today as Nnamdi Azikiwe then wanted two regions, North (Hausa speaking) and South (Igbo speaking) but God pass them and his plans failed.

The Middle Belt region made that mistake which they are regretting today from incessant killings, land dispute to Hausa/Fulani dominace in politics. God bless pa Awo for the great foresight he had.

South West will forever thrive whether in Nigeria or otherwise.

3 Likes

Re: The South West And Nigeria: A Call For Opinions by Uchek(m): 8:54am On May 17, 2020
Why is restructuring not visible in Nigeria for now? And who told you restructuring would be a instant and one-year political solution?

helinues:

Restructuring is not visible in Nigeria for now . That's the reality people are shying away from.

Didn't Osinbajo lead restructuring campaign during OBJ's government? Why did he shun the idea now that he is VP?

Obasanjo talking restructuring is only being mischievous.. How many states in Nigeria can survive without oil revenue?

Has any region created an alternative for revenue generation should in case of oil drop like this?

Restructuring bill won't pass second reading ..May be from 10 years oo and that's only if this Corona would reset the brain of our leaders.

1 Like

Re: The South West And Nigeria: A Call For Opinions by helinues: 8:57am On May 17, 2020
Uchek:
Why is restructuring not visible in Nigeria for now? And who told you restructuring would be a instant and one-year political solution?

No elected president will make restructuring one of his first achievement in first term.. Possibly towards the end of the second term.

We are in 2020.. The next presidential election is 2023.
Re: The South West And Nigeria: A Call For Opinions by WeneWali: 9:01am On May 17, 2020
helinues:
sad

2023 presidency will determine the next step.. Failure or success

Lol...start determining now. Because you and I know that that yoruba will not be president in 2023, since you don't believe in rotational zoning that you have previously enjoyed. You have taken your own share in 1999-2003.

And finally, if you start your oduduwa cries when you lose in 2023, the SE and SS will be waiting to pay you back based on how you treated Biafra and resource control issues, together with the North.

Diplomatic reciprocity is what it is called.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The South West And Nigeria: A Call For Opinions by WeneWali: 9:04am On May 17, 2020
flokii:

Dreamer! grin

3 Likes

Re: The South West And Nigeria: A Call For Opinions by WeneWali: 9:05am On May 17, 2020
Odingo1:
Yoruba don't want anything in Nigeria, they are just satisfied with Igbo marginalization and hoping that power will keep on rotating between yoruba and north but in 2023 they will kiss the dust in Nigeria politics and they will never recover in the long run. No future, no ambition, nothing just hope to be receiving monthly allocation from Abuja from Niger delta oil and thats all.

Aboy, you get talkie! grin

2 Likes

Re: The South West And Nigeria: A Call For Opinions by helinues: 9:07am On May 17, 2020
WeneWali:

Lol...start determining now. Because you and I know that that yoruba will not be president in 2023, since you don't believe in rotational zoning that you have previously enjoyed. You have taken your own share in 1999-2003.

And finally, if you start your oduduwa cries when you lose in 2023, the SE and SS will be waiting to pay you back based on how you treated Biafra and resource control issues, together with the North.

Diplomatic reciprocity is what it is called.

Firstly, there is no region in Nigeria as SS/SE.

So which region are you from and let's start from there

2 Likes

Re: The South West And Nigeria: A Call For Opinions by Uchek(m): 9:07am On May 17, 2020
You must be a Yorubaman. Every other leader and ethnic group( Azikiwe, Ironsi, Ojukwu, Ahmadu Bello, Balewa, Igbos, Hausa/Fulanis) are bad and guilty but your Awolowo and Yoruba ethnic nationality are guiltless and paragon of innocence with regards to this "geographical expression" called Nigeria.

You are a hypocrite and historical revisionist. How was non-inclusion of secession clause responsible for the state of Nigeria today? Yes, your Awolowo unsuccessfully advocated for inclusion of secession clause in the post-war independent constitution.

Yet, when his beloved principle was actionalized in 1967 when Eastern Region seceded, the same two-faced Awolowo went against the principle he advocated for less than a decade earlier by aligning with the Hausa/Fulani to fight an unjust war that killed over 2 million Biafrans fighting for self-determination which he supported earlier.

Typical Yoruba:
-Two-faced and double-tongued.
-Empty vessel that makes the loudest but empty -noise.
-Do as l say not as l do.
-Never able to match words with action.

Zik only, verbally, opposed secession, yet the average Yoruba castigates him. Your Awolowo went to war and killed millions of innocent children and women to oppose secession which he earlier supported, yet no Yoruba castigates him. Instead they adorn him with false nationalist and patriotic garb.

What a stinking hypocrisy!

flokii:

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The South West And Nigeria: A Call For Opinions by WeneWali: 9:17am On May 17, 2020
helinues:

Firstly, there is no region in Nigeria as SS/SE.

So which region are you from and let's start from there

Both are contigous regions that have voted in the same pattern since the independence of Nigeria. Deny it. grin

Ofcourse I know it's bad and bitter news to you as a yoruba. Both will have no compelling reason to vote yoruba. grin

I speak as a son of the soil with my placenta buried in the SS and my maternal home in the SE less than 30 km away from my paternal home. grin

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

South-East PDP Begins Search For Metuh's Replacement / Landmark Achievements In Nigeria Since 1914 / Nationwide Jubilation!!! Oshiomhole, Others, Named In New Ministerial List, As B

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.