Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,090 members, 7,953,320 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 02:07 PM

Private Schools Teachers, How Are You Coping During This Lock Down? - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Private Schools Teachers, How Are You Coping During This Lock Down? (43892 Views)

Private School Teachers, How Have You Guys Been Coping? / Private Schools Teachers To Protest On Monday Over Nonpayment, School Closure / Lockdown: We Are Hungry - Private Schools Teachers Cry Out (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Private Schools Teachers, How Are You Coping During This Lock Down? by hstar: 12:42pm On May 20, 2020
coputa:
thumb up for you for self realization,they live in fools paradise n before they know it,a lot of water has passed under the bridge.If you are resourceful,there 're businesses(not online) you can start with 20k and you will never lack monex and it is open to growth and expansion,
Please how I fit reach you for the business, though money no dey now o, but I go surely do dis business

2 Likes

Re: Private Schools Teachers, How Are You Coping During This Lock Down? by jackpot(f): 12:43pm On May 20, 2020
Acidosis:

Very difficult times for private school teachers. Even home lessons have become impracticable as parents would not want to expose their kids.

I think private school teachers need to form an organized union; drive the call for better pay, better compensation and reward, etc.
most will sack you if you do. They mostly have Teachers/Staff Welfare Union but it's often nonconfrontational
Re: Private Schools Teachers, How Are You Coping During This Lock Down? by CreamyPatty24: 12:44pm On May 20, 2020
My children's school is paying because they started on- line learning this month. Am not sure if they are going to get full or part payment though.
As for home tutors,not all still have pupils/students to tutor this period. I for one asked my children's tutor to stop for now just to curtail the number of people we as family get in contact with.
Re: Private Schools Teachers, How Are You Coping During This Lock Down? by preciousele(f): 12:44pm On May 20, 2020
hstar:

But u get strength to dey do giveaway nah
Its jst a 200 recharge card, its a gift so i decided to dash out,cos i won a giveaway dat day
Re: Private Schools Teachers, How Are You Coping During This Lock Down? by Nobody: 12:44pm On May 20, 2020
Achievermdot:
Though I'm working in private school, but kudos to our board of management. They paid full salary for us till date
Shebi the students pay per term. That should cover the payments for 3 months.
The problem is the third term fees.
Re: Private Schools Teachers, How Are You Coping During This Lock Down? by emmanuelewumi(m): 12:45pm On May 20, 2020
Acidosis:

I'm not saying they should pay like their Lekki counterparts but a decent pay that is comparable to what other graduates earn should be demanded.

If your organization badly needs graduates, then better be ready to give what graduates want. It's not a must to own a school, remember? You could own other businesses that require no certification or skill. In such businesses, peanuts are justifiable.

A school in Bariga that charges N15,000 and 200 pupils will make a revenue of N3 million for a term which is 4 months. That is an average of 750k per month. Mind you some of pupils will owe and some will be given discount

So he revenue of about 700k in a month. The school uses a rented apartment of about N2 million per year.

That is rent of about 150k per month. Subtract 150k from 700k. You will have 550k for the month, NEPA bill, refuse disposal, building maintenance 50k per month.

Subtract from 50k from 550k, you are left with 500k for the month. A school with 200 pupils should have about 20 teaching and non teaching staff.

If the school pay minimum wage to the 20 staff, that is about 400k.

The owner will pay taxes, dues, levies etc to bank, assuming he got a loan to pay the upfront rent, he also needs to buy resources needed in the school. The competition is also very keen.

I will rather invest my money in real estate, stock market and other portfolio Investments rather than a business that will give one high blood pressure

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Private Schools Teachers, How Are You Coping During This Lock Down? by Acidosis(m): 12:46pm On May 20, 2020
Jokerman:

You are right... I understand you, however I have come to realize humans are never satisfied.

Rightly said
Re: Private Schools Teachers, How Are You Coping During This Lock Down? by olaolulazio(m): 12:46pm On May 20, 2020
awoo47:
do they pay during breaks b4?
Yes, they do.
Re: Private Schools Teachers, How Are You Coping During This Lock Down? by iwinnie(f): 12:47pm On May 20, 2020
Bebson007:

that's bad, if they worked and their salaries has not been paid that's very bad esp. This trying times

Thats the situation am in right now
Re: Private Schools Teachers, How Are You Coping During This Lock Down? by hstar: 12:48pm On May 20, 2020
preciousele:
Its jst a 200 recharge card, its a gift so i decided to dash out,cos i won a giveaway dat day
cheesy u are kind hearted, same here sha, u stay in Lag?
Re: Private Schools Teachers, How Are You Coping During This Lock Down? by imonisweet(m): 12:52pm On May 20, 2020
Gemineye:
very stupid comment obviously .Did u let your anus do the talking? angry
Its better you shut up at times than disgrace yourself when its obvious you're f***ing ignorant angry
You don't know d1ck about running a private sch you think it's easy being a private sch owner?? Some Private sch owners barely have enough returns after paying salaries, doing maintenance and stuffs. Its obvious your parents were scammed or exploited cuz your education seems like a waste.
Parents pay fees once in about 3 months and you have to pay the teachers for those 3months maybe another....you have to pay teachers a month salary for spending a week in that month, you have to answer to ministry of education,if you're on rent, you have to attend to that, you carry out maintenance from time to time,
Don't get me started on a lot of tins

I'm not talking about the big cuties!!!! Rubbish

Nonsense and ignorance angry

My man calm down,you are speaking from your own perspective.
So don't just breathe hell on him.
I'm a private school teacher and I was opportuned to be at the management level
I was shocked to know that in a term total revenue generated was up to 20m
Total expenditures for the school in a term is 8m, this includes salaries, bus maintenance, logistics etc.
Still they owe us up to 2 months salaries
So oga , na your own you know

7 Likes

Re: Private Schools Teachers, How Are You Coping During This Lock Down? by preciousele(f): 12:53pm On May 20, 2020
hstar:

cheesy u are kind hearted, same here sha, u stay in Lag?
yes o, im in lag. In one of this rural community in ikd
Re: Private Schools Teachers, How Are You Coping During This Lock Down? by jelinco1982(m): 12:54pm On May 20, 2020
It was not easy but thank God, 2 parents called me 4 home lessons after buhari ease the lockdown.

1 Like

Re: Private Schools Teachers, How Are You Coping During This Lock Down? by 4gunners(m): 12:56pm On May 20, 2020
I pity these set of workers. Imagine, you're a family man, how will that person cope?
Re: Private Schools Teachers, How Are You Coping During This Lock Down? by Kayleb26(m): 12:56pm On May 20, 2020
Let's be specific about the kind of private school we are talking about.

There are private schools and there are PRIVATE SCHOOLS.
One is a place for circumstantial teachers, the other is a place for professional teachers.
One prides itself in not paying salaries, the other operates global best practices

It's a hard situation to be in when salaries are being owed however we must move on to sustainable and transferrable jobs

2 Likes

Re: Private Schools Teachers, How Are You Coping During This Lock Down? by Acidosis(m): 12:57pm On May 20, 2020
emmanuelewumi:

Easier said, can you just take the bull by the horn and establish a school

I will rather invest a start up capital of N20 millon in the stock market, rather than venturing into a capital intensive and labour intensive school business.

About 50% to 60% of the revenue goes into personnel expenses, if you are operating in a rented apartment up to 20% of the revenue goes into payment of rent and property maintenance, if you got a loan to build your property and buy school buses up to 30% goes into finance cost for the servicing of yours loans, about 10% goes to the state government, local government, government agencies as taxes, levies, dues etc.

No be moin moin to do business in Nigeria at all

Well said. To have those things I mentioned in place, I believe school business should be left for the bigger players.

Most business owners today want to make profit at the start of the business. A school, in my opinion, is not the ideal business for this class of people.

Most of the big brands we know today, e.g. Uber, Jumia, etc , are yet to turn in profits. All they have is revenue which is no where close to their investments on assets, operation cost, loans, etc. Yet, employees are still well paid, at least, in line with States' regulations.

I know it's not easy to run a business. However, any business that relies heavily on graduate skills should do well to pay what other graduates earn.

1 Like

Re: Private Schools Teachers, How Are You Coping During This Lock Down? by jide09(m): 12:59pm On May 20, 2020
it has not been easy for me too, a family man. I av started organising tutorials for secondary school students in my area and police are still on our neck saying there must not be gathering of students.
Re: Private Schools Teachers, How Are You Coping During This Lock Down? by Acidosis(m): 1:01pm On May 20, 2020
jackpot:
most will sack you if you do. They mostly have Teachers/Staff Welfare Union but it's often nonconfrontational

Imagine
Re: Private Schools Teachers, How Are You Coping During This Lock Down? by whyteteeth: 1:01pm On May 20, 2020
awoo47:
not every teacher can tutor...
maths English chemistry physics nd a few others
can u collect biology teacher fr ur child?
it's a waste of money as he can read it on his own

Its a lie. Don't say that about Biology. I teach Biology and I do a lot of home lessons. Who told you Biology doesn't give certain students difficulties? If it's easy to read and understand, how come people still fail it even at University level?

I have students who find maths and physics far easier than Biology so why won't they hire a Biology home lesson teacher especially those ones going for medical courses in the university.

It seems u have an Engineering background. Many of you think Biology is cheap yet u can't teach it. U will teach maths, physics, chem and futhermaths but can't teach Biology because u don't know it. The only way to save your face before your students and their parents is to tell them Biology is cheap, they should read it up. Stop this propaganda. It's disgusting!

4 Likes

Re: Private Schools Teachers, How Are You Coping During This Lock Down? by slex(m): 1:01pm On May 20, 2020
Where do you want the School.owners to get money from ?

So of the lockdown is 1 year for example they should pay you for 1 year abi?

Has Govt paid anyone ? Aren't we all affected ?

Answer all this then you have answers to hour question Op.
Re: Private Schools Teachers, How Are You Coping During This Lock Down? by hstar: 1:03pm On May 20, 2020
preciousele:
yes o, im in lag. In one of this rural community in ikd
Wow, u really trying precious, would like to chat u up

1 Like

Re: Private Schools Teachers, How Are You Coping During This Lock Down? by akezn: 1:07pm On May 20, 2020
I am a private school teacher. It is not easy for us and also for the employers too to be honest especially for a school like mine with close to 140 employees with salaries running into millions. Some private schools are still paying full. I got full pay for March and half for April and expecting the same for May. Though the school doled out some very nice palliatives that can last me for more than one month.

1 Like

Re: Private Schools Teachers, How Are You Coping During This Lock Down? by preciousele(f): 1:07pm On May 20, 2020
hstar:
Wow, u really trying precious, would like to chat u up
Hope it business
Re: Private Schools Teachers, How Are You Coping During This Lock Down? by hstar: 1:07pm On May 20, 2020
emmanuelewumi:

A school in Bariga that charges N15,000 and 200 pupils will make a revenue of N3 million for a term which is 4 months. That is an average of 750k per month. Mind you some of pupils will owe and some will be given discount

So he revenue of about 700k in a month. The school uses a rented apartment of about N2 million per year.

That is rent of about 150k per month. Subtract 150k from 700k. You will have 550k for the month, NEPA bill, refuse disposal, building maintenance 50k per month.

Subtract from 50k from 550k, you are left with 500k for the month. A school with 200 pupils should have about 20 teaching and non teaching staff.

If the school pay minimum wage to the 20 staff, that is about 400k.

The owner will pay taxes, dues, levies etc to bank, assuming he got a loan to pay the upfront rent, he also needs to buy resources needed in the school. The competition is also very keen.

I will rather invest my money in real estate, stock market and other portfolio Investments rather than a business that will give one high blood pressure
You right, I have this assertion as well, I would rather invest my money in a certain business than opening or establishment of school
Re: Private Schools Teachers, How Are You Coping During This Lock Down? by hstar: 1:09pm On May 20, 2020
preciousele:
Hope it business
Business n knowledge, but wait o, u go like money o precious smiley
Re: Private Schools Teachers, How Are You Coping During This Lock Down? by SIRmanjar(m): 1:10pm On May 20, 2020
Govt should open up schools next two weeks.They should consider private school teachers especially the widows and family men amongst them.
Re: Private Schools Teachers, How Are You Coping During This Lock Down? by preciousele(f): 1:11pm On May 20, 2020
hstar:

Business n knowledge, but wait o, u go like money o precious smiley
Na money i find cum lag o
Re: Private Schools Teachers, How Are You Coping During This Lock Down? by hstar: 1:13pm On May 20, 2020
imonisweet:

My man calm down,you are speaking from your own perspective.
So don't just breathe hell on him.
I'm a private school teacher and I was opportuned to be at the management level
I was shocked to know that in a term total revenue generated was up to 20m
Total expenditures for the school in a term is 8m, this includes salaries, bus maintenance, logistics etc.
Still they owe us up to 2 months salaries
So oga , na your own you know

Ha ha, kilode Na. Some bosses are just bad
Re: Private Schools Teachers, How Are You Coping During This Lock Down? by mslilybeth(f): 1:14pm On May 20, 2020
[quote author=Yompay01 post=89752108]Just imagine a family man that has not been paid since february.....may God help us[/
Amen we need losts of help this covid period, and most especially a side business with passive earning.
Re: Private Schools Teachers, How Are You Coping During This Lock Down? by hstar: 1:14pm On May 20, 2020
preciousele:
Na money i find cum lag o
Before nkor, where u come from before u reach lag?
Re: Private Schools Teachers, How Are You Coping During This Lock Down? by ajebuter(f): 1:15pm On May 20, 2020
emmanuelewumi:

I am sure the school is about 20 years or more and the owners have built enough reserves, or the owners have other sources of income. No matter the size of the reserves built my a school, the reserves can usually last maximum of 4 months.

Just pray that this lockdown does not last till September as some people have projected.

You're right..

God is in control...
Re: Private Schools Teachers, How Are You Coping During This Lock Down? by emmanuelewumi(m): 1:15pm On May 20, 2020
Acidosis:

Well said. To have those things I mentioned in place, I believe school business should be left for the bigger players.

Most business owners today want to make profit at the start of the business. A school, in my opinion, is not the ideal business for this class of people.

Most of the big brands we know today, e.g. Uber, Jumia, etc , are yet to turn in profits. All they have is revenue which is no where close to their investments on assets, operation cost, loans, etc. Yet, employees are still well paid, at least, in line with States' regulations.

I know it's not easy to run a business. However, any business that relies heavily on graduate skills should do well to pay what other graduates earn.

95% of Nigerians can't afford the fees for bigger players.

Most of the bigger players can afford to run for more than 10 years before they can breakeven as per the running cost, not talking about profitability.

How many people can afford the 500k per term and above charged by the bigger players, how many people earn 500k per annum in Nigeria.

Government needs to invest more in the public schools

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

12-Year-Old Student Impregnated By Katsina Vice Principal Puts To Bed / Ned Nwoko's Sports University Of Nigeria Gets FG's License / ASUU Blames Peter Obi For South East Strike (2010)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.