Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,469 members, 7,812,439 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:22 PM

After 42 Years, Hollywood Star, Stacie Turner, Reunites With Igbo Father - Celebrities (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / After 42 Years, Hollywood Star, Stacie Turner, Reunites With Igbo Father (34169 Views)

Mide Martins Reunites With Afeez Owo, Her Husband / Jumoke Orisaguna, Ex-Breadseller Reunites With Her Husband (photos) / Davido Reunites With Girlfriend, Sira Kante In New York (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: After 42 Years, Hollywood Star, Stacie Turner, Reunites With Igbo Father by Sagamite(m): 2:06pm On Jan 17, 2011
fstranger1:

Reetard!

[flash=400,350]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xco_EzaMXvQ[/flash]
Re: After 42 Years, Hollywood Star, Stacie Turner, Reunites With Igbo Father by Nobody: 2:11pm On Jan 17, 2011
Sagamite:

What law? To an American?

Have to what?

Where was the father when she was growing up so he can claim entitlement to demand she follows some "law" that is meaning in her or to her life in reality?

A man abandonned a child and then at the first opportunity, when she is a grown woman, he has the guts to impose?

Rubbish!

You know sometimes you amaze me. You talk as if you are not a Nigerian!This is not much about 'entitlements' as it is about doing that is 'culturally' right!

She might be an American, but she's also a Nigerian. If she insists of 'claiming' her father, she should also be prepared to do right culturally!
Re: After 42 Years, Hollywood Star, Stacie Turner, Reunites With Igbo Father by macjive01: 2:47pm On Jan 17, 2011
When I see these light skinned AA actors and actresses, basket ballers, American football and baseball players something tells me they are of igboloid.

Cud someone nt properly trace oprah's father? she need to vist her real family home, pay her traditional overdue dues and they would find a cool headed Nwa afor for her to marry. Since she is rich it won't b a crime building a befitting house for her family- rich Igbo women do it.

Will smith also, he appears to be from IMO state area, he needs to come home and pay his dues, visit his ageing parents, build a house in his village as required by the custom- even if he never step a foot in it, there wud always b someone who cud warm d house for him .

And the rest. . . .( ohaneze ndi Igbo get ur fingers out of ur arse and go find our lost brothers n sisters. Not a single one shud b over looked!!!

1 Like

Re: After 42 Years, Hollywood Star, Stacie Turner, Reunites With Igbo Father by Sagamite(m): 2:56pm On Jan 17, 2011
Ujujoan:

You know sometimes you amaze me. You talk as if you are not a Nigerian!This is not much about 'entitlements' as it is about doing that is 'culturally' right!

She might be an American, but she's also a Nigerian. If she insists of 'claiming' her father, she should also be prepared to do right culturally!

She is not a Nigerian, she has Nigerian blood.

She is fully American.

It is utterly unreasonable to demand a culture she did not grow up in, that she did not partake in for 42 years, should suddenly apply to her except she is volunteering to take it up. We Nigerians need to stop being dogmatic and aggressive about our culture (which, in most cases, are irrelevant ostentatious rituals).

1 Like

Re: After 42 Years, Hollywood Star, Stacie Turner, Reunites With Igbo Father by tpia6: 2:57pm On Jan 17, 2011
Re: After 42 Years, Hollywood Star, Stacie Turner, Reunites With Igbo Father by Sagamite(m): 3:02pm On Jan 17, 2011
tpia*:

nigerian culture is so fascinating perhaps.

i dont get people's preoccupation with it either, but if she has the cash to spend, it's her decision.

Unfortunately, according to the report, it was not her decision. It was some dogmatic crap that she most likely can not reject out of punctilious diplomacy.

It is crude, uncouth and inconsiderate for them to have demanded it.

1 Like

Re: After 42 Years, Hollywood Star, Stacie Turner, Reunites With Igbo Father by philip0906(m): 3:37pm On Jan 17, 2011
^^
can somone help me tell dis bro dat he is b'coming boring with his senseless contributions. . . undecided

2 Likes

Re: After 42 Years, Hollywood Star, Stacie Turner, Reunites With Igbo Father by Sagamite(m): 3:48pm On Jan 17, 2011
philip0906:

^^
can somone help me tell dis bro dat he is b'coming boring with his senseless contributions. . . undecided

[flash=400,350]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=871-3XMhtAk[/flash]

That is why sense does not make sense to you.
Re: After 42 Years, Hollywood Star, Stacie Turner, Reunites With Igbo Father by isalegan2: 4:26pm On Jan 17, 2011
ziddy:

Igbo Kwenu! All eyes on the money like always  grin

Let him pay!  Let him take out a line of credit at the bank even.  American man wants African girl, let him pay. cheesy

Seriously though, she really wants to do it!  She embraced the culture and is so thrilled to have found her people.  You should have seen her face when she was talking about it.

I think maybe we're missing the point.  It didn't sound like she felt pressured at all.  Quite the contrary.  You know, her white mother, whom she found as an adult, is so ashamed and paranoid about anyone knowing she had a child with a black man?  She won't tell her husband and children.  This Stacie girl is doing what makes her happy. 

Hope everything goes well in Nigeria.
                    - - - - - - - -

grin In conclusion. . . .

chic2pimp:

I wan submit my marriage application be dat oooo. . . . . I don ask Busybody her mama and she don gree,

Sagamite:

24 kegs of palmwine
80 tubbers of yam
One typewriter for im mama
One pot of Isi Ewu for the family
4 motorcycles for her uncles
18 blackberry for im siblings
4 mosquito nets for im grandparents for village
One trouser and singlet for me
90 kegs of ogogoro
110 bicycles for im cousins
4 goats, 12 chickens and 2 Malu (cow)
250 yards of adire (Yoruba attire)
One Hummer for the Akarigbo of Remo (Sagamu) so I can get my chieftiancy title soon
2 fluffy bathroom towels for me to tie on the waist in the morning and walk proudly across Sagamu streets to show off to my neighbours

And then she is all yours.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=403381.msg7277189#msg7277189

Don't attack the messenger, please. ::scared:: Just kidding o.
Re: After 42 Years, Hollywood Star, Stacie Turner, Reunites With Igbo Father by Sagamite(m): 5:19pm On Jan 17, 2011
isale_gan2:

Let him pay!  Let him take out a line of credit at the bank even.  American man wants African girl, let him pay. cheesy

Seriously though, she really wants to do it!  She embraced the culture and is so thrilled to have found her people.  You should have seen her face when she was talking about it.

I think maybe we're missing the point.  It didn't sound like she felt pressured at all.  Quite the contrary.  You know, her white mother, whom she found as an adult, is so ashamed and paranoid about anyone knowing she had a child with a black man?  She won't tell her husband and children.  This Stacie girl is doing what makes her happy. 

Hope everything goes well in Nigeria.
                    - - - - - - - -

grin In conclusion. . . .

If she asked then that is fine.

To impose on her is crude, uncouth and inconsiderate.

isale_gan2:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=403381.msg7277189#msg7277189

Don't attack the messenger, please. ::scared:: Just kidding o.

See blackmail.  grin grin grin

That does not count. We where selling an African lepa hot chic that was raised in the culture and we invested in, not an American that has no clue. It costs!
Re: After 42 Years, Hollywood Star, Stacie Turner, Reunites With Igbo Father by fstranger1: 5:21pm On Jan 17, 2011
Sagamite:

If she asked then that is fine.

To impose on her is crude, uncouth and inconsiderate.

See blackmail.  grin grin grin

That does not count. We [b]where [/b]selling an African lepa hot chic that was raised in the culture, not an American that has no clue. It costs!

This English thing doesnt seem to be working for you.

It is Ok to type in your native language. We understand!
Re: After 42 Years, Hollywood Star, Stacie Turner, Reunites With Igbo Father by Sagamite(m): 5:52pm On Jan 17, 2011
fstranger1:

This English thing doesnt seem to be working for you.

It is Ok to type in your native language. We understand!

Reetard!
Re: After 42 Years, Hollywood Star, Stacie Turner, Reunites With Igbo Father by matemate: 5:53pm On Jan 17, 2011
that i

Re: After 42 Years, Hollywood Star, Stacie Turner, Reunites With Igbo Father by isalegan2: 5:57pm On Jan 17, 2011
grin matemate. Oh Gaaawwwddd. Hahahahaha. WTH?
Re: After 42 Years, Hollywood Star, Stacie Turner, Reunites With Igbo Father by Akhenaten: 5:57pm On Jan 17, 2011
Interesting story. I suspect her story is not unique though. There are a lot of Americans who have a Nigerian father, who left for various reasons.

1 Like

Re: After 42 Years, Hollywood Star, Stacie Turner, Reunites With Igbo Father by Akhenaten: 6:01pm On Jan 17, 2011
What I find sad, it is the issue about her biological mother. Now that is pathetic side of the story.
Re: After 42 Years, Hollywood Star, Stacie Turner, Reunites With Igbo Father by Obiagu1(m): 6:38pm On Jan 17, 2011
@ Sagamite, you complain about paying a bride price, how much is it? In my town, it is just N1,000. Who can't afford that?

Tradition is tradition; she's even talking about meeting her extended family which is unamerican, which means she fully wants to be Igbo. So if she wants to be Igbo, she is not married yet according to the Igbo tradition because her bride price have not been paid

I don't really know what your concern is. Are you really a Nigerian or one of those that think traditions should be discarded?
Re: After 42 Years, Hollywood Star, Stacie Turner, Reunites With Igbo Father by isalegan2: 6:46pm On Jan 17, 2011
Obiagu1:

In my town, it is just N1,000. Who can't afford that?

Really?  A thousand naira?  Not dollars? I guess they do other things, right?

I believe with Yorubas the "bride price" is more symbolic, with them giving it back and saying something like "our child is not for sale." I think you still spend money on the bride's family one way or the other. Somehow they still get you!
Re: After 42 Years, Hollywood Star, Stacie Turner, Reunites With Igbo Father by Sagamite(m): 6:48pm On Jan 17, 2011
Obiagu1:

@ Sagamite, you complain about paying a bride price, how much is it? In my town, it is just N1,000. Who can't afford that?

I am not complaining about the bride price. I am complaining about the uncouth act and crude mentality of imposing on a stranger (that will not want to be rude by refusing) to perform a tradition that is strange to her all because of some blood she has not benefitted from.

Obiagu1:

Tradition is tradition; she's even talking about meeting her extended family which is unamerican, which means she fully wants to be Igbo. So if she wants to be Igbo, she is not married yet according to the Igbo tradition because her bride price have not been paid

Asking to know her long lost extended family (A) does not mean she fully wants to be Igbo (B).

I really am flabbergasted how you deduced B from A.  undecided

There are far better logical deducement you could have made from A than the one you made.

E.g. She is satisfying a long standing and burning curiosity.

Obiagu1:

I don't really know what your concern is. Are you really a Nigerian or one of those that think traditions should be discarded?

I am one of those that think we should be sensible and make sense at all times.

1 Like

Re: After 42 Years, Hollywood Star, Stacie Turner, Reunites With Igbo Father by Obiagu1(m): 6:52pm On Jan 17, 2011
Sagamite:

I am not complaining about the bride price. I am complaining about the uncouth act and crude mentality of imposing on a stranger (that will not want to be rude by refusing) to perform a tradition that is strange to her all because of some blood she has not benefitted from.

Asking to know your extended family (A) does not mean she fully wants to be Igbo (B).

I really am flabbergasted how you deduced B from A. undecided

There are far better logical deducement you could have made from A than the one you made.

E.g. She is satisfying a long standing and burning curiosity.

I am one of those that think we should be sensible and make sense at all times.

. . . but you don't really make sense.
Re: After 42 Years, Hollywood Star, Stacie Turner, Reunites With Igbo Father by Sagamite(m): 6:53pm On Jan 17, 2011
Obiagu1:

. . . but you don't really make sense.

Really?

Why not?
Re: After 42 Years, Hollywood Star, Stacie Turner, Reunites With Igbo Father by ezeagu(m): 6:56pm On Jan 17, 2011
Sagamite:

Mehn, are you Stacie Turner? What kind of witch argument is this? Stacie Turner flew all the way to Owerre with her kids to unite with what she considers her dad and what she considers her extended family. She does not consider them strangers and she wants to become familiar with the Igbo culture which she is interested in. Is that the problem? Some people pay 500 naira bride price, why are you getting angry over the issue of somebody else that they themselves are not complicating? You think somebody would fly from the United States to Owerre and re-do their whole wedding because their long lost biological father pressured them to? The woman is happy, go and rest. Just trying hard to find a negative. undecided

1 Like

Re: After 42 Years, Hollywood Star, Stacie Turner, Reunites With Igbo Father by Obiagu1(m): 6:58pm On Jan 17, 2011
isale_gan2:

Really?  A thousand naira?  Not dollars? I guess they do other things, right?

I believe with Yorubas the "bride price" is more symbolic, with them giving it back and saying something like "our child is not for sale." I think you still spend money on the bride's family one way or the other. Somehow they still get you!

Other things include things poor people do as well. A poor man can do traditional marriage, a rich man can equally do his own. It all depends on how you want it done, but the basic which is the traditional aspect of it is not costly. A rich man can spend lavishly if he wants to because he has the money but no one forces you to go beyond what you can't do.

The N1,000 is symbolic and when it's given back to you, it means that marriage has been annulled, so we don't give back bride price except when the marriage has to be dissolved.

1 Like

Re: After 42 Years, Hollywood Star, Stacie Turner, Reunites With Igbo Father by Sagamite(m): 7:04pm On Jan 17, 2011
ezeagu:

Mehn, are you Stacie Turner? What kind of witch argument is this? Stacie Turner flew all the way to Owerre with her kids to unite with what she considers her dad and what she considers her extended family. She does not consider them strangers and she wants to become familiar with the Igbo culture which she is interested in. Is that the problem? Some people pay 500 naira bride price, why are you getting angry over the issue of somebody else that they themselves are not complicating? You think somebody would fly from the United States to Owerre and re-do their whole wedding because their long lost biological father pressured them to? The woman is happy, go and rest. Just trying hard to find a negative. undecided

My understanding is she flew to Owerri to unite with her dad and extended family. This is a 42 year old woman that has one way or the other been abandoned by her biologically parents. Reasonable people would have just welcomed her and allowed her to get to know her people and even her culture, not tell her part of her existence is inadequate because of some culture that she did not grow up in and insist she must perform the culture. It is fine if she is the one volunteering, but it is crude to impose on her and she can not refuse without appearing rude.

I would not be surprised if some reetarded monarch decides to give her chieftancy title soon.

1 Like

Re: After 42 Years, Hollywood Star, Stacie Turner, Reunites With Igbo Father by isalegan2: 7:07pm On Jan 17, 2011
Obiagu1:

Other things include things poor people do as well. A poor man can do traditional marriage, a rich man can equally do his own. It all depends on how you want it done, but the basic which is the traditional aspect of it is not costly. A rich man can spend lavishly if he wants to because he has the money but no one forces you to go beyond what you can't do.

The N1,000 is symbolic and when it's given back to you, it means that marriage has been annulled, so we don't give back bride price except when the marriage has to be dissolved.

Oh, Okay.  Thank you for answering that.  But, you know there is an impression that a lot of Igbo men can't get married when they want to because they're saving up for bride price because it is so high, especially if the future bride is educated or has other desired values.  No disrespect.  I just always heard that.  I've even seen it on this site.  Maybe they're just talking about gifts to the bride's family and the cost of a lavish wedding to impress the village?   cheesy

And, for those who are still skeptical about it, from the video I watched, demands are not being made on her before she can join the family.  The bride price is something the family is asking the husband to do.  Let him eat poison if he can't do it,  Seriously.

She wants to be a part of her culture.  Plus, in the video, the husband was also very enthusiastic.
Re: After 42 Years, Hollywood Star, Stacie Turner, Reunites With Igbo Father by Sagamite(m): 7:09pm On Jan 17, 2011
^^^ Wey the video?

Youtube?
Re: After 42 Years, Hollywood Star, Stacie Turner, Reunites With Igbo Father by Obiagu1(m): 7:10pm On Jan 17, 2011
Sagamite:

My understanding is she flew to Owerri to unite with her dad and extended family. This is a 42 year old woman that has one way or the other been abandoned by her biologically parents. Reasonable people would have just welcomed her and allowed her to get to know her people and even her culture, not tell her part of her existence is inadequate because of some culture that she did not grow up in and insist she must perform the culture. It is fine if she is the one volunteering, but it is crude to impose on her and she can not refuse without appearing rude.

I would not be surprised if some reetarded monarch decides to give her chieftancy title soon.
Are you okay?
Why can't you get it?  In Igbo culture, if your bride price is not paid, you are not married!

She sought her lost family and is happy to be part of them. Do you know how her dad lost contact with her?
NL is filled with characters, I swear. She's not the first if you don't know, girls whose dads  were Igbo (mum usually white and had lost contact with the man) had returned home to do traditional marriages. So what is your problem? I get some pills if you need some.
Re: After 42 Years, Hollywood Star, Stacie Turner, Reunites With Igbo Father by Obiagu1(m): 7:14pm On Jan 17, 2011
isale_gan2:

Oh, Okay.  Thank you for answering that.  But, you know there is an impression that a lot of Igbo men can't get married when they want to because they're saving up for bride price because it is so high, especially if the future bride is educated or has other desired values.  No disrespect.  I just always heard that.  I've even seen it on this site.  Maybe they're just talking about gifts to the bride's family and the cost of a lavish wedding to impress the village?   cheesy

And, for those who are still skeptical about it, from the video I watched, demands are not being made on her before she can join the family.  The bride price is something the family is asking the husband to do.  Let him eat poison if he can't do it,  Seriously. cheesy

She wants to be a part of her culture.  Plus, in the video, the husband was also very enthusiastic.

All those stories are false. The bolded is one of the reasons and the other is most Igbo men don't want to get married until they know they can maintain their wife adequately (we love to see our wives look good) and able to train their kids to the fullest. They try to make money while still under 40 yrs and if they can't make it like they want to, then they have no option but to get marriage like that, at least they tried.
Re: After 42 Years, Hollywood Star, Stacie Turner, Reunites With Igbo Father by ezeagu(m): 7:15pm On Jan 17, 2011
Sagamite:

How, from a few characters on the screen, do you know exactly what went on with her and her family? Where did you get the idea that anything was imposed on her or even the description of the way she reacted? You went on to describe how she reacted! If the woman wants to embrace Igbo culture her family would obviously tell her about bride prices, especially as she's reuniting with her dad!
Re: After 42 Years, Hollywood Star, Stacie Turner, Reunites With Igbo Father by 1025: 7:18pm On Jan 17, 2011
am not surprised. behind every successful person on earth, there is an igbo background.
even those who have nothing to do with the igbos try to get themselves connected.
imagine our own goodluck all of a sudden added, ebele azikwe and with the way things are going, there is the possibilities of him adding ojukwu and uwazuruike to his names before the elections in april.
Re: After 42 Years, Hollywood Star, Stacie Turner, Reunites With Igbo Father by ezeagu(m): 7:19pm On Jan 17, 2011
isale_gan2:

Oh, Okay.  Thank you for answering that.  But, you know there is an impression that a lot of Igbo men can't get married when they want to because they're saving up for bride price because it is so high, especially if the future bride is educated or has other desired values.  No disrespect.  I just always heard that.  I've even seen it on this site.  Maybe they're just talking about gifts to the bride's family and the cost of a lavish wedding to impress the village?   cheesy

It happens, but it is not the usual. A lot of Some people in the West go into debt after weddings right? But others may marry at a reception. The Igbo do not have one consciousness and neither those any other ethnic group.
Re: After 42 Years, Hollywood Star, Stacie Turner, Reunites With Igbo Father by isalegan2: 7:25pm On Jan 17, 2011
ezeagu:

It happens, but it is not the usual. A lot of Some people in the West go into debt after weddings right? But others may marry at a reception. The Igbo do not have one consciousness and neither those any other ethnic group.

Stop getting defensive. Obiagu answered my question. You're reacting to something said in jest. 

Maybe some people go into debt.  I dunno. 

Am not mad at you.  smiley

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Davido And His Girlfriend, Chioma Loved Up In New Photo / Dbanj’s Missing Gold Chain Found / Tiwa Savage Appreciates Teebillz: "They Can't Write My History Without You"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.