Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,941 members, 7,952,787 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 12:50 AM

Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? (16570 Views)

IPOB To Kumuyi: Don't Hold Crusade In Aba, South-East, Pray In Your Lagos Church / 7 Reasons Why Every Believer Should Speak In Tongues - Kenneth E Hagin / Daddy Freeze: "Speaking In Tongues In Nigerian Churches Is Fake” (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by mapet: 10:44am On May 24, 2020
Offpoint:
The pentecostal tongue speaking, which is speaking languages of other tribes is the only acceptable language...

Whatever anyone is speaking today is not a tongue.

There's no point speaking language neither you or your congregation knows the meaning... How the hell then did you know your talking to God when you have no idea what you're saying?

It is biblicaly factual to speak or pray in tongues. 1 Cor 14:2 It is a gift of the Holy Spirit.... Paul actually ascertain that you commune with God/Holy Spirit speaking in tongues. What is misconstrued to me is appropriating what it is not to it, making speaking in tongues the absolute of Holy Spirit filling relegating other more beneficial gifts of the spirit to the background
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by Liposure: 10:44am On May 24, 2020
Evercurious:

YES Oga.I have. Are you a baby Christian? So sorry I had to ask. Desire it and you ll have it and not have no need to doubt it

It's so wonderful and sweet to be in gatherings where the gifts of the spirits are all at work. People speak in tongues but do not have an idea that they COULD be passing a message to someone in need of it. Someone with the gift of interpretation of tongues ,interpretes the tongues and the message is understood.

If you have nt been or are nt in such gatherings pls find one and you ll enjoy the Holy Spirit and His gifts at work..

am moved. Holyspirit here i come
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by Nelx(m): 10:45am On May 24, 2020
Evercurious:

I dont know the tongues you are speaking.. Mine edifies me...
The tongues I speak is English. I believe God hears it too. I won't be annoyed if the speaking in church is done moderately and described by apostle Paul. Alas, we have 2 hour sessions of people saying what they don't understand.

Since yours edifies you, carry on dear
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by bigname23: 10:45am On May 24, 2020
Buliwyf:
Lol. Speaking in tongues is farcical and only worthy of mockery. Especially the ones that Christians practice these days. It's nothing more than gibberish and some patois that you guys use to psych up yourselves and feel you have a communication with some higher power. News flash, you don't!!!

It is telling that none of the tongues spoken these days can be recognised as any form of language by people. The only anecdotal evidence for speaking in tongues makes it known that they actually spoke the languages of the foreign people around them and could be understood. But you guys these days utter rubbish which doesn't even help anyone, not even yourselves.

Every language has the same pattern. You can do a statistical sampling of the words to get their usage frequency and all human languages have the same pattern. Some words are used more frequently than others. Especially articles. Heck, even dolphins' communication patterns almost matches that of humans and that's why it's been theorised that they have language. But you charlatans speaking in tongues, same thing can't be said for you. Your word usage is all over the place and usually you are just repeating the same nonsense over and over. No one can understand you. Not even yourselves.

Lastly, what's the use of your speaking in tongues? You have been speaking in tongues yet your life is not better than the average person that doesn't speak in tongues. You have no special knowledge, no special insights nor special abilities. You are as ordinary as the rest of us and the only thing that seems exceptional about you is your unmatched ability to delude yourself. You remind of those Christ Embassy girls in school that will meet you on the road and ask you to start speaking in tongues immediately. Then in the evening they are off to some guy's house to have the sex of their lives.
Bros every religion has activities that makes no sense to outsiders muslems count bead...traditionalist sometimes mutter incantations that humans cannot understand...and even gives sacrifices of food to dieties which cannot eat physically ....religion is all about beleif ...u do not have the right tell people how they practice religion because u do not understand...
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by Jjohnson777: 10:46am On May 24, 2020
For now any of the speaking in tongues is fake, the main purpose was to preach to different people who came to Jerusalem for worship, to reach this diverse people with the message, they were given, they were not proud of it, nor do they continue to seek for it after that, purpose has been accomplished. Those who heard the message in their tongue took it back home and preached in their languages, there was no need to continue speaking in tongues today, as modern technology can translate the scriptures to any tongue in a few minute, beside almost all tribes have the Bible in their languages. Pastors today will tell you they speak in tongues, just to draw followers to themselves, God has not send them any message. Some even call themselves prophets, the last prophet is Jesus, we are also prophets if we preach what God's prophets preached and wrote. Let's ask ourselves, who among the apostles was called a prophet, are we more close to God than the apostles?

2 Likes

Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by rummmy: 10:47am On May 24, 2020
And Muslims,traditionalists and atheists are all commenting on this Christian topic without swearing an oat that they believe in Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior.
Nairaland owner should look into this and balance this iniquity.......

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by Evercurious(f): 10:48am On May 24, 2020
Liposure:
am moved. Holyspirit here i come

Lol.. It's also used during deliverance. My dear it's really a nice experience
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by Offpoint: 10:49am On May 24, 2020
Evercurious:

Okay Sir.. So you dont talk about it since you had the opportunity to judge for yourself based on your own personal experience. But turned it down
I don't need any spiritual gift that's only beneficial to me...
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by mapet: 10:50am On May 24, 2020
sunkieisland:
I was expecting to read an exposé that clearly distinguishes speaking in tongues and praying in tongues.

But I think the simplest explanation is Speaking in tongues requires interpretation for the church to blessed; which implies that Speaking in tongues plus interpretation equals PROPHECY.

Praying in tongues on the other is personal matter with the Holy ghost. That is why the Bible says "when I pray in other tongues, my spirit prays but my comprehension is useless"

So don't criticize people that pray in tongues that what they are speaking is incomprehensible. The Bible clearly talks about the tongues of men and of angels. So if the person praying in the tongues doesn't have understanding, wetin be your own?

It's his or her business with the Holy Spirit. I've read several testimonies about the benefits of praying in tongues.

#TeamKabasch

I think it is important that you situate the bolded in the full context of what Paul explained. This part you lifted twists the explanation, so I took the trouble to post from Verses -6-18 below

6 Now, brothers and sisters, if I come to you and speak in tongues, what good will I be to you, unless I bring you some revelation or knowledge or prophecy or word of instruction? 7 Even in the case of lifeless things that make sounds, such as the pipe or harp, how will anyone know what tune is being played unless there is a distinction in the notes? 8 Again, if the trumpet does not sound a clear call, who will get ready for battle? 9 So it is with you. Unless you speak intelligible words with your tongue, how will anyone know what you are saying? You will just be speaking into the air. 10 Undoubtedly there are all sorts of languages in the world, yet none of them is without meaning. 11 If then I do not grasp the meaning of what someone is saying, I am a foreigner to the speaker, and the speaker is a foreigner to me. 12 So it is with you. Since you are eager for gifts of the Spirit, try to excel in those that build up the church.

13 For this reason the one who speaks in a tongue should pray that they may interpret what they say. 14 For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my mind is unfruitful. 15 So what shall I do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will also pray with my understanding; I will sing with my spirit, but I will also sing with my understanding. 16 Otherwise when you are praising God in the Spirit, how can someone else, who is now put in the position of an inquirer,[d] say “Amen” to your thanksgiving, since they do not know what you are saying? 17 You are giving thanks well enough, but no one else is edified.

18 I thank God that I speak in tongues more than all of you. 19 But in the church I would rather speak five intelligible words to instruct others than ten thousand words in a tongue.
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by Samysearch(m): 10:52am On May 24, 2020
phransix2:
I don't know how to and and trying to fake it makes me look stupid...

I wish Christians can read deep into their scripture.
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by omonnakoda: 10:52am On May 24, 2020
Missyajoke:
I hope we're blessed with this short message of mine as we understand how Speaking/Praying in tongues helps in building our spiritual life.

Why do we need to speak/ pray in tongues.

The full baptism of the Holy Spirit is always evidenced by speaking in tongues. In Act 2 " 1-4
"And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place. And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind and it gilled all the house where they were sitting.

And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire and it sat upon each of them, and they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance." What does " As the Spiri gave them utterance means" it means where he lives in the innermost part of your being- in your spir- from there rivers of living waters will flow.

Out of your spirit you'll begin to hear the voice of the Spirit giving you utterances. You'll hear it on the inside. But you have to open your mouth and speak it out. When you receive the baptism of the Holy spirit there is no need for dramatic emotion or jerking or falling down.

Some people, when they begin to speak on tongues they do not have fluency, or a large spiritual vocabulary. They are like little children when they're first learning his to speak, talking in broken words as they're learning. The constant infilling of the Spirit keeps you full of the mighty power of the Holy Spirit. Its a continual experience.

By speaking In tongues regularly, you fine - tune your spirit's awareness of the Holy Spirits indwelling presence.

Reasons for praying/ Speaking in Tongues

1. It edifies you or builds you up spiritually. Look at what Paul wrote to the Corinthians. He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifies himself (1 Cor. 14:4)
2. Speaking in Tongues reminds us of the Holy Spirits residence wcorrectly ( John 14:16-17)
3. Praying in tongues helps us pray correctly (Rom.8:26-27)
4. Praying in tongues stimulates our faith. (Jude 20)
5. Praying in tongues helps to keep us from foul talk.
6. Praying in tongues bring spiritual refreshing.(John 7:38-39)
7. Speaking in tongues helps to build a sensitivity to the Holy Spirit.(Rom. 8:14-16)
8. Speaking I'm tongues gives us power to be witnesses.(Acts 1: cool

ALWAYS.?

Is that in the bible?
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by ocha88(m): 10:53am On May 24, 2020
This wonderful write up just shows how shortsighted some of us that claim to be a Christain are, some even condemned it that there’s nothing like speaking in tongues it shows level of ignorant in our churches today, you call yourself a believer yet you can’t make out time to study your bible to know what you believe in, yet you are quick to condemn what you don’t know about, the reason you will not speak in tongues is because you never believe in it , something that was given freely (mark16:17) just believe that’s all. Finally if you are a believer and you want to know God then seek for the present of Holy Spirit in your life without Holy Spirit in your life don’t even discuss about things of God because education can’t give you the knowledge about God.
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by nathdim: 10:54am On May 24, 2020
Emax911:

its obvious u don't Know the Bible because before Jesus left earth he had said he will give us that power( his disciples), he said he has to leave for the holy spirit to come...if u can't comprehend or understand the Bible, ASK and if not

SHUT UP
was any of your forefathers or your ancestors there b4 Jesus left the earth
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by Liposure: 10:58am On May 24, 2020
Evercurious:

Lol.. It's also used during deliverance. My dear it's really a nice experience
my spirit n flesh is set
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by HMarshal(m): 11:00am On May 24, 2020
Missyajoke:
I hope we're blessed with this short message of mine as we understand how Speaking/Praying in tongues helps in building our spiritual life.

Why do we need to speak/ pray in tongues.

The full baptism of the Holy Spirit is always evidenced by speaking in tongues. In Act 2 " 1-4
"And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place. And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind and it gilled all the house where they were sitting.

And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire and it sat upon each of them, and they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance." What does " As the Spiri gave them utterance means" it means where he lives in the innermost part of your being- in your spir- from there rivers of living waters will flow.

Out of your spirit you'll begin to hear the voice of the Spirit giving you utterances. You'll hear it on the inside. But you have to open your mouth and speak it out. When you receive the baptism of the Holy spirit there is no need for dramatic emotion or jerking or falling down.

Some people, when they begin to speak on tongues they do not have fluency, or a large spiritual vocabulary. They are like little children when they're first learning his to speak, talking in broken words as they're learning. The constant infilling of the Spirit keeps you full of the mighty power of the Holy Spirit. Its a continual experience.

By speaking In tongues regularly, you fine - tune your spirit's awareness of the Holy Spirits indwelling presence.

Reasons for praying/ Speaking in Tongues

1. It edifies you or builds you up spiritually. Look at what Paul wrote to the Corinthians. He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifies himself (1 Cor. 14:4)
2. Speaking in Tongues reminds us of the Holy Spirits residence wcorrectly ( John 14:16-17)
3. Praying in tongues helps us pray correctly (Rom.8:26-27)
4. Praying in tongues stimulates our faith. (Jude 20)
5. Praying in tongues helps to keep us from foul talk.
6. Praying in tongues bring spiritual refreshing.(John 7:38-39)
7. Speaking in tongues helps to build a sensitivity to the Holy Spirit.(Rom. 8:14-16)
8. Speaking I'm tongues gives us power to be witnesses.(Acts 1: cool

I wander where u guys threw the part the Bible explained the gift of tongues being a gift of languages.meaning,it must be understood & interpretable to a group of ppl.

You guys make stupid noises & term it speaking in tongues.u follow ur pastor's & preachers like a sheep to the slaughter house.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by HMarshal(m): 11:03am On May 24, 2020
Buliwyf:
Lol. Speaking in tongues is farcical and only worthy of mockery. Especially the ones that Christians practice these days. It's nothing more than gibberish and some patois that you guys use to psych up yourselves and feel you have a communication with some higher power. News flash, you don't!!!

It is telling that none of the tongues spoken these days can be recognised as any form of language by people. The only anecdotal evidence for speaking in tongues makes it known that they actually spoke the languages of the foreign people around them and could be understood. But you guys these days utter rubbish which doesn't even help anyone, not even yourselves.

Every language has the same pattern. You can do a statistical sampling of the words to get their usage frequency and all human languages have the same pattern. Some words are used more frequently than others. Especially articles. Heck, even dolphins' communication patterns almost matches that of humans and that's why it's been theorised that they have language. But you charlatans speaking in tongues, same thing can't be said for you. Your word usage is all over the place and usually you are just repeating the same nonsense over and over. No one can understand you. Not even yourselves.

Lastly, what's the use of your speaking in tongues? You have been speaking in tongues yet your life is not better than the average person that doesn't speak in tongues. You have no special knowledge, no special insights nor special abilities. You are as ordinary as the rest of us and the only thing that seems exceptional about you is your unmatched ability to delude yourself. You remind of those Christ Embassy girls in school that will meet you on the road and ask you to start speaking in tongues immediately. Then in the evening they are off to some guy's house to have the sex of their lives.

It really amuses me,I mean they make noices like animals & say it's a tongue.even themselves don't undstandable or can't interprete thier utterances.
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by DorcasShalom: 11:06am On May 24, 2020
Thanks so much. It is just language..but i don't understand where people get all they say. May God help us.

Youngzedd:
Around A.D. 170, the church excommunicated Montanus and the two prophetess (Priscilla and Maximilla) for their prophesies and doing what many are doing today, that's speaking in a language others don't understand (speaking in tongues). Montanism was named after Montanus. He was opposed using Matthew 7:15. The Catholic Church (Not Roman Catholic Church) saw Montanist doctrine as a threat, the bishops of Asia Minor gathered in synods and finally excommunicated the Montanists.

One of the major reason the church excommunicated them is based on the below scripture they didn't meet.

1 Corinthians 14:27-28
27 If anyone speaks in a tongue, two—or at the most three—should speak, one at a time, and someone must interpret. 28 If there is no interpreter, the speaker should keep quiet in the church and speak to himself and to God.

Acts 2:6-11
6 When they heard this sound, a crowd came together in bewilderment, because each one heard their own language being spoken. 7 Utterly amazed, they asked: “Aren’t all these who are speaking Galileans? 8 Then how is it that each of us hears them in our native language? 9 Parthians, Medes and Elamites; residents of Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia,[b] 10 Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya near Cyrene; visitors from Rome 11 (both Jews and converts to Judaism); Cretans and Arabs—we hear them declaring the wonders of God in our own tongues!”

Tongues of angels >> http://www.bible-speaking-in-tongues.com/tongues-of-angels.html

Speaking in tongues is a language of humans, just like Igbo, Chinese, French, Spanish, Yoruba etc, anything other than that is a sign of madness and such person requires medical attention.
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by Hier(m): 11:08am On May 24, 2020
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by floss(m): 11:12am On May 24, 2020
Buliwyf:

you are totally correct, in addition most churches pretend to follow the lives of the early Christians rather than follow the teachings of Jesus Christ but yet they don't practice the right doctrine. The apostles spoke in different tongues (Languages) of which different people around understood the gospel messages being passed in their own language. That was necessary then following the different races and tribes present in Jerusalem then, so the Holy Spirit made the apostles expand the messages to non indigenes and thus the need for the gift of speaking in different tongues.
Note: They never spoke gibberish, unlike what our 21st century born again Christians and Business Men of God (BMG) do...Men Modern Christians bring curses upon themselves and their households in the name of speaking in tongues due to the fact that they want the Holy Spirit to manifest through coercion, Mind you, the Holy Spirit is not a toy to be toiled with..If you are speaking in tongue and you are aware that you are uttering gibberish, my dear better stop for your good, don't bring the wrath of the Holy Spirit upon yourself and your generation.
Since after the apostles, no one has ever spoken in tongue, the reason I said that is because many people don't understand what prompted to speaking in tongue, it is for the purpose of preaching the gospel not individual prayer or public entertainment in the name of revival, crusades, and Virgil that our Business Men of God (BMG) embark on all the time once finance start going down... If a Yoruba man that doesn't understand or speak Swahili meets some one from there, unconsciously start speaking Swahili to the person and message is passed with out him knowing it, that is what SPEAKING IN TONGUE means, it is a gift from the Holy Spirit, it comes and goes before you get back to reality... So you will not know how you were able to speak to the person, it will remain a mystery to you. The person will be surprised next time he or she speaks Swahili to you, you might not be able to understand....That's what speaking in tongue means and not those incantations you speak or hear people speak.....Happy Sunday, Stay Safe and Remain Blessed.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by henrijin: 11:22am On May 24, 2020
Did you know "tongues" is old English for "language"? We have been gullibly spoonfed junk. It is all about what our pastors say. What do we personally understand about different concepts or beliefs? One thing with people is "if something is too simple, it is nonsense". We forget life is actually simple. We created confusions and difficulties.

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by Toluobaeko11: 11:23am On May 24, 2020
To get the answer, we must know the Genesis of speaking in tongues. God gave the Apostles holy spirit to speak in tongues(foreign languages) during the Pentecost, so that people from other lands can hear what they're saying in their local languages, and that's all.
But nowadays, a lot of people are deceiving themselves by speaking jargons, some even says they're speaking in tongues so that devil can't hear them. Lol! If you like, twist your tongues, devil will hear you clearly if he wants to.
The apostles spoke in tongues in languages people understood, I don't know where these people got their own.

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by martinmiller: 11:27am On May 24, 2020
I read comments and I smiled, op you ve written well, I can only commend your share gesture to enlighten many of us.

A lot of people will not understand or comprehend that article written above, because it's not for the carnally minded ( see John 3:7-9, 4:23-25) spiritual understanding is not for everyone, it's a gift from Jehova with an evidence of speaking in an unknown language.

Many have come out to say, some people, including pastors are speaking nonsense, gibberish, craps, bullshit and irrelevant words. truth be told Christianity as turned out to be mockery in Nigerian and not taken no more seriously by thousands of people, I can tell you for free, not all the men of God are called as they all claimed. Many are called but few are chosen!

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by femi4: 11:28am On May 24, 2020
olaadesino:
Speaking in tongues is nothing but deception. Did Jesus Christ speak in tongues and did he teaches?
So, the apostle acted on their own. Don't be spiritual illiterate

Jesus said, “I will pray the father;” he said, “when I go to heaven I will pray the father and He shall send you another comforter, even the spirit of truth” [John 14: 16-17], talking about the Holy Spirit. So, the Holy Spirit had not been sent even though Jesus had the Holy Spirit. He said he would ask the Father to send the Holy Spirit. So, though he had the Holy Spirit, the Holy Spirit had not been sent to carry out his full ministry and so when he came to carry out his full ministry, the sign of his full presence in the earth had to be given to us and speaking in tongues is that sign.
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by Emax911: 11:30am On May 24, 2020
mapet:

Bros,

How do you find it convenient to engage in a Christian debate and freely drop insults?

please is SHUT UP an insult and read my statement again and pick 0.1 insultive words
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by Emax911: 11:33am On May 24, 2020
MPESA:

Sir I believed you still got it wrong,..... How can you justify the teaching of speaking in tongues in churches today as a lessons.

I hope u understand, sometimes we pray in tongues without knowing what we r praying for or sometimes it is revealed through d spirit and when it is made manifest u will later get to Know.

you could read about the day of Pentecost, go deep and understand what happened after the disciples spoke in tongues

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by whytediamond(m): 11:33am On May 24, 2020
MERCHANDISER:

Did You Call Odumeje a Fake Pastor ? You need to read
this !
I see some Christians posting all sorts of bad contents
regarding
Odumeje. This is wrong on every sides, because i have
come to
understand that pastors are not perfect like we make
them
to
be.
I had previously chosen to just ignore but let me state
that
Odumeje's crime is his inability to not speak English and
his
love
for casual outfits.
Odumeje has not done half of what your favourite pastors
have
done, i hope you are cognozant of this fact, because i
grew
up in
the church.
While your pastor is buying private Jets, building world
standard
edifices and schools that your children cant afford to
attend,
Odumeje was giving Money to fire victims, food to the
poor
and
building roads.
While your pastor was allegedly looking for another
female
victim to exploit sexually, Odumeje was showing his wife
love
and being a father to his beautiful children.
Were we not here when Pastor Adeboye asked people to
donate
1billion each? Were we not here when your GO in Abuja
asked
his members to Jump into the cleansing Pool for 50k?
Are
you
not aware that your pastors sell mantle and olive oil?
While your Pastors move around with Armed men,
Odumeje is in
the street mixing with street boys and girls, maybe thats
why you
call him a fake prophet.
People that couldnt critisize the COZA pastor are insulting
Odumeje and thats laughable.
Some of your pastors have been banned from entering
some
countries because of fraud, are you aware ?
Odumeje dances "in a worldly fashion" but your suit
wearing and
English speaking pastor wines and dines with corrupt
politicians.
I can go on and on but let me not open fowl nyash.
Things that
will make u a man of God
1: Your relationship with God
2. Your way of life
3: And ur spiritual background. Pls deduct that mindset
that
reading ur bible, speaking good English we make u a man
of
God

Oga are you normal at all? Read my post again. Carefully this time. Please where did I mention Odumeje let alone calling him a fake pastor?

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by Evercurious(f): 11:34am On May 24, 2020
Offpoint:

I don't need any spiritual gift that's only beneficial to me...

Good. That it isn't beneficial to you doesnt make it unreal or non existent Does it?
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by Evercurious(f): 11:36am On May 24, 2020
DorcasShalom:
Thanks so much. It is just language..but i don't understand where people get all they say. May God help us.

They got the tongues from the HOLY SPIRIT as He gave them utterance
Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by densiks: 11:37am On May 24, 2020
Buliwyf:

Let me address the misconceptions,misleading and disingenuous falsehood expressed alongside few facts(weeds and wheat)you have outlined here with the following.

Following from scripture as seen in 1 Corinthians 14:2 KJV
“ For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him ; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.”

You stated in your write up that the early believers at Pentecost were found speaking in tongues which other people could identify and UNDERSTAND;

“The only anecdotal evidence for speaking in tongues makes it known that they actually spoke the languages of the foreign people around them and could be understood.”

This means that you admit and have so expressed in your write up that speaking in tongues is one of the evidences of the presence of the Holy Spirit in a Christian’s life.
“Acts 2:4-6 KJV
[4] And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance. [5] And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven. [6] Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, d because that every man heard them speak in his own language. …”

It is also worthy of mention that the Apostle Paul who wrote about two thirds of the New Testament emphasized the importance and need of speaking in tongues when he expressed that he spoke in tongues more than the people who were in the Corinthian church howbeit he was concerned about the wrong use or demonstration of the gift or manifestation of the use of tongues; as can be found in the scripture

“1 Corinthians 14;18
I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all:”

From the foregoing,it is abundantly clear that speaking in tongues is an important,powerful and edifying component of the new covenant believers life amongs several other uses for which I will not delve into on this occasion.

Jesus Christ also said very clearly in

‘Mark 16;17
“And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with NEW TONGUES;”’

Also, your attempt to rubbish the use of tongues because of perceived or unsubstantiated abuse by certain Christians is disingenuous,untenable and an effort in futility to deceive and deform unstable or unlearned minds as far as this subject is concerned.

Your further attempt to question what those who speak in tongues have achieved in comparison to those who do do not speak in tongues is completely farcical,baseless and lacking in any empirical comparative evidence.

Another angle that caught my attention is that in your attempt to sound intelligent you subtly made reference to a certain religious group called Christ Embassy and their alleged immoral ladies who spoke in tongues to witness the gospel on campus.
Whatever their methods were does not represent the standards set by Scripture and you failed to understand that in every system there will always exist a percentage of individuals who will not live up to the standards and rules governing the system and can therefore fall short of its standards but can never be the ultimate basis for defining that system.

Evidence is seen in the words of our Lord Jesus Christ in Matthew 7 emphasis on verse 21.

Matthew 7:16-21 KJV
[16] Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles? [17] Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit. [18] A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit. [19] Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire. [20] Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them. [21] Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. …

Let me conclude be saying that the things of the spirit cannot be discerned by the natural mind no matter how smart you may try to sound.

“1 Conrinthians 2:14
But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.”

You should also limit yourself to areas you have sufficient,proven or tested knowledge about when expressing your views in public forums so you don’t end up sounding foolish in your attempt to sound smart.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by mapet: 11:39am On May 24, 2020
Emax911:

please is SHUT UP an insult and read my statement again and pick 0.1 insultive words

Oh! you mean you're just warming up?

That aside, why will you wish someone to Shut up in a debate? Is it for want of cerebral content?

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by mapet: 11:42am On May 24, 2020
TOPCRUISE:
Is it a must for a christian to speak in togues

Absolutely NOT. 1 Cor 12: 30.....Do all speak in tongues?

1 Like

Re: Why Do We Need To Speak/pray In Tongues? by floss(m): 11:43am On May 24, 2020
Evercurious:

Good. That it isn't beneficial to you doesn't make it unreal or non existent Does it?
The young man you quoted wasn't arguing or in denial of its existence, you didn't get his message. Try not to be in haste so that you don't pass a wrong message with a good intent ....before some one start throwing stones at a glass house.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Questions For Logic1 (if You Have Doubts Concerning The Christian Faith) / How To Survive In This Era Of End-time Churches & End-time Pastors / Apostle Suleman Forgives Offenders To Mark 50th Birthday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 124
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.