Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,910 members, 7,835,036 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 01:42 AM

Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? (31942 Views)

Strike: What Is Going On In AAU? - Omawunmi Asks / Is Spending N16M On A 3-Year Ph.D In The UK Worth It? / Top 7 Things To Know Before Going To The University (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by seguno2: 1:48pm On Jun 01, 2020
FlordFlorez:
Yes broda, it worth it. Universities and other institutions are there to train/equip u in a particular field not just for u to get job but to be able to create job(s). This is where we all get it wrong. USA and other developed countries in the world do not give jobs to all their graduates, but they simply support those they couldn't employ to create jobs for theirselves and others and the circle continues, thus reducing unemployment. The issue in Nigeria is that, so many graduates are ready to create jobs but NO government backing.

Is the government different from the many graduates? How involved are the many graduates in politics and governance?
No wonder Buhari called us lazy youths and criminals.
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by AmuDimpka: 1:50pm On Jun 01, 2020
It is worth it....but unfortunately the quality of graduates these days leave one to question if it worth it !

But get educated and we have various types of education, formal and informal

Just get a skill that all
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by Sagay212: 1:50pm On Jun 01, 2020
It is worth it. You don't just go to learn academics alone. You meet people and learn from them. You can actually make it big before even completing your tertiary education. That's the advantage of going to unis like unilag where the academic and social life is top notch.

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by Rikidony(m): 1:50pm On Jun 01, 2020
my guy I don de contemplate sef why I been pick Jamb form this year, Well I get side hustle Wei I de carry survive, so if I finish school na there I go take survive, na wet in my boss the take survive since him finish school no job, and him friends the envy am, say him get bah.
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by Onlinefarmstore: 1:51pm On Jun 01, 2020
flokii:

Simply put.. shoot for the moon, if you miss you'd land amongst the stars.

Education makes one refined and "disease" free.

True..... You know how to package...
There is a difference between educated farmers and illiterate farmers. Don't ask me how I know, because am a farmer

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by bluefilm: 1:51pm On Jun 01, 2020
Eddykul:
With the increased costs of going to the university, i am just wondering whether it is worth it any more. Stories about graduates struggling to find employment and with more and more alternative routes being developed, is it still worth getting a degree?

Is it true that there are so many graduates these days that employers are now looking for work experience?

Nowadays, it is the people that didn't not go through the university that are employing graduates. #FACT

Graduates are no more getting jobs like before when university was university, after spending so much time, spending money just to learn, you later come back to square one in becoming a business owner. #FACT

Most people are getting jobs on what they didn't even read in school just to earn a living.

Nowadays work that human beings are supposed to do, it being done by robots..

I am thinking of collecting my five years tution fees and also school hostel rent fee and course materials money from my parent to start up a business.

Is going to the university worth it anymore?

First of all, it depends of the course you wanna study.

If you want to study any professional course minus Engineering, then it is still worth it.

Any other thing less than that, I'd say, just go to school and have fun and get a certificate like others.

But in the meantime, try as much as you can to get yourself properly skilled while you are having fun at school.

Because at the end of the day, it is those skills that you have that will count.

University Certificates are dead now.

2 Likes

Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by ameh99: 1:51pm On Jun 01, 2020
All depends on what you do with your time as a student

While I was in school I still hustle like my life depends on the street to succeed

I acquired a lot of skills back then and today I have never used my cert for once

and am happy being a boss of my own..

3 Likes

Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by FLYFIRE(m): 1:51pm On Jun 01, 2020
Abeg don't drop the idea abeg
grin grin grin

Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by mikemiyaki: 1:51pm On Jun 01, 2020
Yes, my guy. Education is still very necessary in today's world! Act now. A stitch in time saves nine.
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by frozen70(f): 1:52pm On Jun 01, 2020
Eddykul:
With the increased costs of going to the university, i am just wondering whether it is worth it any more. Stories about graduates struggling to find employment and with more and more alternative routes being developed, is it still worth getting a degree?

Is it true that there are so many graduates these days that employers are now looking for work experience?

Nowadays, it is the people that didn't not go through the university that are employing graduates. #FACT

Graduates are no more getting jobs like before when university was university, after spending so much time, spending money just to learn, you later come back to square one in becoming a business owner. #FACT

Most people are getting jobs on what they didn't even read in school just to earn a living.

I am thinking of collecting my five years tution fees and also school hostel rent fee and course materials money from my parent to start up a business.

You are about doing a mistake that you won't know the effect until you are at a cross road or a positive position where you would be regretting not going to school

Those days graduates gets job as soon as they are done schooling, it's not the same with these days because of economic factor and others

I will advise you go to university, while there get the knowledge and think of what you will want to do so that after schooling you go into a skill as a graduate not a semi illiterate

Unless you have lost desire for education, then it's up to you

You can't compare a graduate and a non graduate in any area of business

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by seguno2: 1:52pm On Jun 01, 2020
Onnasucs1:
Baba go to school oooo. Even if you don't get a job, people will give you ears when they hear that you're a graduate.

Start a side hustle while in school. School should be your plan B, so that if things go south tomorrow, you'll have a certificate to fall back to.

Never put your eggs in one basket. This world dey anyhow oooo

Instead of all these stress, why not go to a technical college or vocational school for expert skills in a precision role for better money to be polished with a university certificate if you desire?
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by Jobiski(m): 1:53pm On Jun 01, 2020
I will advice u to start a reasonable business first when u have establish your business u can then employ people to work for u. Then u start school independently. When u finish school u go back to ur business while waiting for a "more reasonable work" if u see.

My humble suggestion.
The choice is yours.

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by OkpanachiMax: 1:53pm On Jun 01, 2020
Yes it is worth it
It is a road to discover your God gift if yours is not discovered on time. smiley
People like Serena Williams, Naomi Osaka, Lionel Messi, C. Ronaldo, Mbappe etc discovered theirs on time, so there was no need taking unnecessary course in the university.
People like Bill Gates, Steve Jobs etc discovered theirs in the university and took a critical decision to drop out and develop themselves.

NOT EVERYTHING IN OUR LIVES ARE NECESSARY

Max_advice

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by rolex05: 1:53pm On Jun 01, 2020
If you are in a trade already continue but still balance up by having degree by your side. Both is OK in our current situation in ��
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by Ytea(f): 1:54pm On Jun 01, 2020
If your parents would give you those monies, pls start a business. When you become grounded in it, to attend university will even be sweeting you. You'll understand education too is sweet with money.

3 Likes

Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by Help2020: 1:54pm On Jun 01, 2020
Eddykul:

Learn a trade first,when u start making money u can go to uni later..I am talking from experience

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by Tiobi84: 1:54pm On Jun 01, 2020
Do you know you can conviniently shop online from the comfort of your home,save yourself the stress of going through shopping .Do your shopping now while it is delivered to you at your door Step
Through this link below
https://www.foodlocker.com.ng/coupon/C8250A06
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by BluntTheApostle(m): 1:55pm On Jun 01, 2020
Eddykul:

Just get the degree. Even though our unemployment rate is very high presently. It doesn't mean that it would remain so forever. With a degree, even without job, you always be ready to submit anytime there is an opening somewhere.

Business itself is not an easy road to success. Just as people may spend a lot of money to become a graduate and still end up poor as a church rat, people may also spend even more on business and never succeed.

It is not easy to be successful. We are all just trying and hoping that we will get some luck to make our efforts yield positive results.

But in my own opinion, I will advise that you get an undergraduate degree. Or at least, an HND.
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by seguno2: 1:55pm On Jun 01, 2020
ameh99:
All depends on what you do with your time as a student
While I was in school I still hustle like my life depends on the street to succeed
I acquired a lot of skills back then and today I have never used my cert for once
and am happy being a boss of my own..

Why did you waste your time, money and that of others who NEEDED the university education/certificate
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by 9icekenpat: 1:55pm On Jun 01, 2020
Good Question I must say.. considering what is happening around the globe. My advice to you is this... what do you really want out of life. Do you want to do business because you think most graduate become jobless and unemployed or is this what your your heart yearn and it is passionate for. Dont be myopic Education is still the key. Nevertheless Education is not restricted to four walls of a classroom anymore. Learning a trade is Education mastering a skill as an apprentice is also an education. So no matter what you decide to do get educated about it get as much information about it because you need it to stand out. Tertiary education is still very worth it but go study what is relevant in our present day life because that is what education is all about and lastly never limit your employment abilities to just one nation learn to look beyond the horizon.
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by Cousin9999: 1:55pm On Jun 01, 2020
Wow.

Listen. You're probably young and I understand how you feel, but education has value. Imagine if no one had a university education. Imagine if everyone had a university education. Think about the impact on society, quality of life, infrastructure, and etc.

It's not about getting an amazing job as soon as the ink dries on your credential. It's about what you learn and how that contributes to your overall learning and development as a man/woman, worker, family member, community member, and citizen.

Your education is one aspect of what will prepare you for whatever you do in life. Experience, training, and self-study are also part of that.

University is never a waste of your time.

That said, if your primary goal is making money, choose medicine/medical profession, law, or engineering.

The opportunity to start a business doesn't disappear because you're in school. It just means you're better prepared to do that after.
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by seguno2: 1:56pm On Jun 01, 2020
Help2020:
Learn a trade first,when u start making money u can go to uni later..I am talking from experience

Best advice by far.
Thank you sir.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by espn(m): 1:58pm On Jun 01, 2020
Eddykul:

Yes it is a means to an end...not an end itself... better still if i ever have to choose again (all other things been equal) I will study where I live on a part time basis while learning some other skills and build myself...
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by Shikena(m): 1:58pm On Jun 01, 2020
The world is changing.

What is your dream? Don't confuse this with fantasy. I mean realistic dream to sustain yourself & your future family for decades?

Education is not limited to the university but you have to understand yourself & your environment. For example, unlike previous generations if you are not going the university route immediately then you can't reach the top of the chain as an employee unless your plan is to work low level for some years then go back to school.

In your case you want to just hustle as a business man, you better be an outstanding hustler with very disciplined lifestyle. There is no guarantee either way. No easy route but if you know exactly what you are doing you will find a way. You will need all the strength in the world to stay positive if you squander all your seed money with little progress by the time your classmates are wrapping up NYSC. However, there is no magic wand. Don't be a lazy thinker, be true to yourself. If you can't find a realistic way - get that JAMB form!

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by Chatflick(m): 1:58pm On Jun 01, 2020
It depends on what you want to become. But as for me, it isn't worth it for everyone. Some are meant to go while some aren't
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by IjawAboki007: 1:58pm On Jun 01, 2020
Abeg hold your change, Oshodi last bus stop grin grin
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by Hypocrit: 1:59pm On Jun 01, 2020
paix:
Thought.
Thank you for that correction.
Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by InvertedHammer: 1:59pm On Jun 01, 2020
/
It is a developmental process. For the experience and network, it is worth it. The problem is that most Nigerian graduates do not fully understand the essence of university education. You don't have to go to university just to get a job. Everyone is not cut out to be an employee.

/

2 Likes

Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by Olarewaju89: 2:00pm On Jun 01, 2020
See me see question.

Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by Help2020: 2:00pm On Jun 01, 2020
seguno2:

Best advice by far.
Thank you sir.
You welcome.

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by bash8936: 2:01pm On Jun 01, 2020
No let all this illiterate deceive you here oo. Education is the best decision you could ever make for urself... Even Obasanjo gats still go school after everything him achieve at him late year. You will forever regret even if you turn billionaire without education. Dangote gan later go school. All the great men in life without good education from the beginning later go school at the peak of their life. I just pray it is never too late before you see the light. Thou you go suffer for school, But if you study and pass out with good grade, there is this joy you will have within yourself till you die that even money cannot give you.

1 Like

Re: Advice Needed: Is Going To The University Worth It Anymore? by dopedan(m): 2:02pm On Jun 01, 2020
Baba make money and buy your certificate every thing in Nigeria is a scam our president is a scammer wat do u expect from the citizens no go school if u no get money o the things im seeing here... lemme not talk. Life is too short o do wat u want to do now b4 u will regret not taking some actions

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

ASUU: NANS Rejects FG's Black Market Judgement / Man Dresses Like Female Student To Win SUG Election At Anambra State University / Bishop Oyedepo: New Kings University Under Construction

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.