Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,931 members, 7,814,161 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 08:06 AM

When Your Own Mother Puts Pressure On You To Have A Male Child - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / When Your Own Mother Puts Pressure On You To Have A Male Child (4224 Views)

Having A Male Child / Should A Man Consult His Wife Before Giving Money To His Own Mother? / Mother Puts Her Child Inside Pocket (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: When Your Own Mother Puts Pressure On You To Have A Male Child by Klass99(f): 11:44am On Jun 05, 2020
Re: When Your Own Mother Puts Pressure On You To Have A Male Child by HoliMaree: 11:44am On Jun 05, 2020
Romangalactic:

Today you're a man, some days ago you were a woman looking for a tall dark young man.

Hermaphrodite, don't go and find something to do you hear?

Out of context bro, that thread was a joke, I'm no gay
Re: When Your Own Mother Puts Pressure On You To Have A Male Child by Nobody: 11:52am On Jun 05, 2020
pocohantas:

The unfortunate one that ends up with you. Such is life...

ALOL.!! now i feel like i am on the ring with a woman.
Re: When Your Own Mother Puts Pressure On You To Have A Male Child by pocohantas(f): 11:56am On Jun 05, 2020
anslem04:

ALOL.!! now i feel like i am on the ring with a woman.

You are trying so hard. Someone perfectly captured your person- IGNORANT. Take a break from countering me, you keep falling flat on your face. grin grin

6 Likes

Re: When Your Own Mother Puts Pressure On You To Have A Male Child by jaksmillioniar: 12:03pm On Jun 05, 2020
Gloriagee:
You nko. Abi u no sabi pray

am not d one facing attack and am not d one DAT carry baby.a woman understand her body
Re: When Your Own Mother Puts Pressure On You To Have A Male Child by Unnerve: 12:11pm On Jun 05, 2020
eyinjuege:

Don't be retarded
Perhaps if you weren't blinded by your sentiments and opened your eyes to look, see and understand what the OP has written.
Her very first sentence agrees with me that her mother has always been toxic towards them since childhood, and OP rationalised it by saying its because her parents marriage broke down due to them looking for a boy child.
OP herself said mum has always been negative, toxic and unsupportive right from their childhood.
She knows her mother better than anyone on here.
Someone that didn't love her own daughters because they were born female is incapable of truly loving her female grandaughters. Her grandsons on the other hand will be over-pampered and spoilt rotten. The young girls will only grow up with low self esteem and feeling of unworthiness.
OP has a duty to protect her girls from toxic people, and I hope she doesnt fail in that responsibility.
may you be blessed with such a character as OPs mother in your life.
Ok dear, you were right and I am sorry.

She should disown her mother and never speak to her again or let her children anywhere near her. She should also not attend her funeral when she dies.

3 Likes

Re: When Your Own Mother Puts Pressure On You To Have A Male Child by UjuJoan2: 12:31pm On Jun 05, 2020
Some women really hate themselves and people like that should not be allowed to have kids.

Such a shame.

1 Like

Re: When Your Own Mother Puts Pressure On You To Have A Male Child by eyinjuege: 12:36pm On Jun 05, 2020
Unnerve:

Ok dear, you were right and I am sorry.

She should disown her mother and never speak to her again or let her children anywhere near her. She should also not attend her funeral when she dies.

Let the dead bury their dead my dear. Matt 8:22.
Being present at a funeral is also sentiments. Whether you're present or absent, the burial will still hold, people will still eat jollof and go to the toilet afterwards. They will forget about the dead person in a few weeks or even days atimes.
Life will go on
Life is too short to allow anyone make you live in misery

6 Likes

Re: When Your Own Mother Puts Pressure On You To Have A Male Child by bukatyne(f): 12:44pm On Jun 05, 2020
sassysure:
It's even females that take care of their aged parents more.

There is one thing we don't understand. Male children tend to loose their names actually in family tree.

E.g., my husband's name is emeka, his dad is ugochukwu, their surname is Obi. Now check out who is actually the obi, it will be like 6th or 8th generation. So what happened to the sons after obi to my husband's name? All gone to oblivion. Nobody recognises them anymore.

As time goes on, I'm changing the surname of my kids to their fathers name. I asked him about the name of the man they bear and he couldn't give me any answer. Can't give my kids name they don't have any relationship with.

So are we really preserving the names of the males in the family?

Some part of my family have started answering their fathers names. People know them as children of Mr A of B and C family, C being the surname we were known with while B is the name of the man who gave birth to A. Maybe in another 2 generations, the present B and C will be replaced with new ones. That way, people are not easily forgotten as soon as they did, and you can trace your genealogy easily.
I noticed this is becoming common in my place.

Urbanization and individualistic living has watered down the cultural 'advantages' of having a male child.

For we Yorubas that a child may never step foot in the village more than twice, of what use is a man/female child to 'take care' of your house like in the olden days?

And if the surname doesn't ring a bell or isn't a notable one, who cares? Enter Ogun state and shout 'Adesina' if 10,000 unrelated people would not respond back.

Each person should instead work towards building enduring legacies (not everyone can/will) for remembrance.

7 Likes

Re: When Your Own Mother Puts Pressure On You To Have A Male Child by Gloriagee(f): 12:46pm On Jun 05, 2020
I sort of inferred that you are placing the primary responsibility for determining the baby's gender on the mum which I can assure you is the wrong way to go. Let's forget all the xy chromosomes thats been medically proven n focus on the fact that marriage is intended to be a partnership so that wetin pain oko go pain iyawo n vice versa.

Second, from the spiritual angle wat makes you think ur wife cant be 'attacked' on your behalf not to have a male child afterall its your name thats been supposedly preserved not her father's name. Even Isaac prayed for his wife after 20 years of barrenness so u sef can pray. E no go comot anything for your body.

jaksmillioniar:
am not d one facing attack and am not d one DAT carry baby.a woman understand her body

2 Likes

Re: When Your Own Mother Puts Pressure On You To Have A Male Child by Nobody: 1:26pm On Jun 05, 2020
bukatyne:

Urbanization and individualistic living has watered down the cultural 'advantages' of having a male child.

For we Yorubas that a child may never step foot in the village more than twice, of what use is a man/female child to 'take care' of your house like in the olden days?

And if the surname doesn't ring a bell or isn't a notable one, who cares? Enter Ogun state and shout 'Adesina' if 10,000 unrelated people would not respond back.

Each person should instead work towards building enduring legacies (not everyone can/will) for remembrance.
I really love this.
This male child of a thing is a pandemic in igboland. The sole reason we have baby factory everywhere.

Culture evolves. Though it may take time but we are getting there slowly. They are seriously o erhauling all these cultural practices that put husband and wife in bondage or a family as a whole.
Re: When Your Own Mother Puts Pressure On You To Have A Male Child by thorpido(m): 1:49pm On Jun 05, 2020
Titi03:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to speak low of his disabled son.
However, it's glaringly obvious that Otedola only shows off his female children (Cuppy and Teni).
I'm sure most people don't even know he has a son and if we are honest with ourselves we know why!
His son is challenged.It's not about showing off or not.Cuppy and Teni live their lives and are obviously not mentally challenged so you expect them to be in the limelight more.
It has nothing to do with who Otedola wants to show off or not.
He does not in any way love the son less.
Re: When Your Own Mother Puts Pressure On You To Have A Male Child by Nobody: 2:01pm On Jun 05, 2020
pocohantas:

You are trying so hard. Someone perfectly captured your person- IGNORANT. Take a break from countering me, you keep falling flat on your face. grin grin

You can't redirect me buh keep trying grin wink ...for the bolded i won't read meanings to it, cos am not done.
Re: When Your Own Mother Puts Pressure On You To Have A Male Child by pocohantas(f): 2:07pm On Jun 05, 2020
anslem04:

You can't redirect me buh keep trying grin wink ...for the bolded i won't read meanings to it, cos am not done.

With displaying your stupidity- obviously yes.

7 Likes

Re: When Your Own Mother Puts Pressure On You To Have A Male Child by blessedaunty: 2:11pm On Jun 05, 2020
anslem04:

Apparently OP husband has no reason to think like men on forbes list, a name without continuity is as lifeless as "Remembrance" denotes. when these men are long gone "who will represent "gates" "bryant" "obama 50yrs time lemme guest daugthers with another man last names, obama becums other names, sebi you fill jamb form.
LOL ! see mumu, i expect to see names of women that had there father's name behind their husband's name, dangote, jonathan, atiku, buhari daughters are married .. google there last name as mrs, hyphenate my burnt ass.
A life without representation is as inanimate as the word " remembrance" every man needs a heir to keep his line. name is - line + , one will alway bring life without d other put a tester on it tongue
Should we also be aware of feminist, the real ones dress to work like men tho! many are hideous lesbians wink

People with this kind of mentality are the reason why Africa is so backward. When you think, you amount to nothing when you don't have a male child. It is so unfortunate.

6 Likes

Re: When Your Own Mother Puts Pressure On You To Have A Male Child by Nobody: 2:33pm On Jun 05, 2020
blessedaunty:

People with this kind of mentality are the reason why Africa is so backward. When you think, you amount to nothing when you don't have a male child. It is so unfortunate.

Forget people & mentality abeg, its was on record even baba God find a reason to have a son.
today we pray through christ jesus the son, all of you forming western education won't even be in existence today if God had no son.
Re: When Your Own Mother Puts Pressure On You To Have A Male Child by wisdomiskey(m): 2:33pm On Jun 05, 2020
pocohantas:

Your boyfriend Mynd4 will not see anything wrong with this comment of yours but if someone points out the fact that you're 38 years old with the mentality of a retaarded 10year old now, comments will start vanishing.

cc. anslem04

7 Likes

Re: When Your Own Mother Puts Pressure On You To Have A Male Child by pocohantas(f): 2:34pm On Jun 05, 2020
wisdomiskey:

Your boyfriend Mynd4 will not see anything wrong with this comment of yours but if someone points out the fact that you're 38 years old with the mentality of a retarded 10year old now, comments will start vanishing.

cc. anslem04

Same way my bf hasn’t seen Anslem04’s comment. Show my bf both... grin grin

6 Likes

Re: When Your Own Mother Puts Pressure On You To Have A Male Child by wisdomiskey(m): 2:35pm On Jun 05, 2020
pocohantas:

cc Seun

3 Likes

Re: When Your Own Mother Puts Pressure On You To Have A Male Child by wisdomiskey(m): 2:50pm On Jun 05, 2020
pocohantas:

Same way my bf hasn’t seen Anslem04’s comment. Show my bf both... grin grin

What's actually so funny is the fact that you can offer your smelling cuunt to a nigga that looks like this simply for Nairaland "immunity". Such a loser! grin

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: When Your Own Mother Puts Pressure On You To Have A Male Child by bukatyne(f): 3:20pm On Jun 05, 2020
sassysure:

I really love this.
This male child of a thing is a pandemic in igboland. The sole reason we have baby factory everywhere.

Culture evolves. Though it may take time but we are getting there slowly. They are seriously o erhauling all these cultural practices that put husband and wife in bondage or a family as a whole.

Culture/Society is made up of people and people would always hold on to what makes sense to them.

I know some people with two girls and fine; I know about three families who have just one child (girl) and have stopped birthing kids. And I know others who have two/three girls and are very uneasy like they have an issue.

Someone even told me that her marriage greatly improved as soon as she had her son.

People should just find their level jare.
Re: When Your Own Mother Puts Pressure On You To Have A Male Child by Nobody: 3:23pm On Jun 05, 2020
bukatyne:

Culture/Society is made up of people and people would always hold on to what makes sense to them.

I know some people with two girls and fine; I know about three families who have just one child (girl) and have stopped birthing kids. And I know others who have two/three girls and are very uneasy like they have an issue.

Someone even told me that her marriage greatly improved as soon as she had her son.

People should just find their level jare.
I love to respect people's culture but in this, I'm strongly against my people as it has destroyed many homes and people. We should do away with it jor.

2 Likes

Re: When Your Own Mother Puts Pressure On You To Have A Male Child by SweetCunt97(f): 3:29pm On Jun 05, 2020
Leshurr:
Right from childhood my mother has always been very toxic, negative and unsupportive towards me and my elder sister. We were the only two kids she ever had with my father and their marriage packed up because he wasn't happy with the fact that she didn't bear him a son. I get the impression that she secretly resents us for being girls and that's why she treats us terribly.

I got married 7 years ago and had a daughter shortly after.. when I did the scan and we found that it's a girl, my mother drove all the way to my house and laid hands on my tummy declaring and demanding that the gender must be transformed to a boy in Jesus name. I was so upset and humiliated as she did this in the presence of my husband. Of course her prayers didn't work and I gave birth to a girl - and I've recieved little to no support from her in the raising of my daughter.

Now fast-forward to this pregnancy, from day one when I told my mother I had concieved again, she showed no enthusiasm and simply said "it better be a boy this time"..

I felt so sad and dejected, and so worried of the amount of criticism i would get from my mother.. coupled with the fear of my husband being unhappy if it turns out to be another girl.. so when it was time, I went to do the gender scan alone.. lo and behold, the doctor told me it's another girl.. my world shattered and I spent the rest of the day just driving around town crying... whilst my mother kept blowing up my phone throughout the day to find out the gender but I ignored her calls. When I got home my husband asked me the gender and I lied and said it wasn't clear. He suggested we do another scan but I kept avoiding it.

Till date I'm the only one who knows the gender and I'm due in two weeks. My mother still keeps calling pressuring me that I must deliver a boy this time.

I'm so depressed and haven't been motivated to do any baby shopping.. I just feel like I'd be felt sorry for by my friends and will be ridiculed by my mother if this child does turn out to be another girl.
You only need your husband's support pls. Infact you need to stand up for yourself, you are your own person and ur mom should not have a say on such matters.

1 Like

Re: When Your Own Mother Puts Pressure On You To Have A Male Child by bukatyne(f): 3:35pm On Jun 05, 2020
sassysure:

I love to respect people's culture but in this, I'm strongly against my people as it has destroyed many homes and people. We should do away with it jor.

It is not the culture, it is the people who decide to uphold the culture whether abolished/dumped or not.

Lack of male kids have destroyed many many homes.

I remember growing up, there was a woman who had five girls. Her husband married another wife who had Junior the king of the house. The first wife was broken because the 2nd wife and husband would play 'love' around the house, bath together, eat together etc.

The guy even opened a shop for the 2nd wife.

It was sad sad sad. cry

A neighbor then killed a cow when he birthed his son. And used chicken for the daughter's naming. Or people who keep having kids till they birth the illusive boy.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: When Your Own Mother Puts Pressure On You To Have A Male Child by Nobody: 3:39pm On Jun 05, 2020
bukatyne:

It is not the culture, it is the people who decide to uphold the culture whether abolished/dumped or not.

Lack of male kids have destroyed many many homes.

I remember growing up, there was a woman who had five girls. Her husband married another wife who had Junior the king of the house. The first wife was broken because the 2nd wife and husband would play 'love' around the house, bath together, eat together etc.

The guy even opened a shop for the 2nd wife.

It was sad sad sad. cry

A neighbor then killed a cow when he birthed his son. And used chicken for the daughter's naming. Or people who keep having kids till they birth the illusive boy.
It's the culture in igboland. Exclusively an igbo culture. Don't know about other tribes.

I don't know how we can do away with this but they are breaking it down gradually.
Re: When Your Own Mother Puts Pressure On You To Have A Male Child by pocohantas(f): 5:43pm On Jun 05, 2020
wisdomiskey:

What's actually so funny is the fact that you can offer your smelling cuunt to a nigga that looks like this simply for Nairaland "immunity". Such a loser! grin

My dear, leave talk, all na FORNICATION. Whatever you get out of it is jara... grin

3 Likes

Re: When Your Own Mother Puts Pressure On You To Have A Male Child by wisdomiskey(m): 5:50pm On Jun 05, 2020
pocohantas:

My dear, leave talk, all na FORNICATION. Whatever you get out of it is jara... grin

Well then, happy fornication to you and your loser Mod friend!! wink

2 Likes

Re: When Your Own Mother Puts Pressure On You To Have A Male Child by eniolorunfe: 6:04pm On Jun 05, 2020
@op, except you cannot conceive anymore, I don't see what the problem is.

This is 2020, there are various information / resources on how to conceive a son from tracking your ovulation to using the chinese calendar to gender selection...

Discuss with your husband and know where he stands in all this because some men are okay with having just two kids irrespective of their genders.

Be grateful to God for your baby and reduce exposure to your mom and others that won't make you appreciate the gift God has blessed you with.
Re: When Your Own Mother Puts Pressure On You To Have A Male Child by pocohantas(f): 6:37pm On Jun 05, 2020
wisdomiskey:

Thank you. You can now rest... A wise one once said “Yes no dey cause problem”. grin grin

4 Likes

Re: When Your Own Mother Puts Pressure On You To Have A Male Child by Nobody: 6:40pm On Jun 05, 2020
wisdomiskey:

Re: When Your Own Mother Puts Pressure On You To Have A Male Child by Nobody: 6:42pm On Jun 05, 2020
pocohantas:

Thank you. You can now rest... A wise one once said “Yes no dey cause problem”. grin grin

Gud 2 know seun & mnyds let you off the hook. #no debes escapar wink

2 Likes

Re: When Your Own Mother Puts Pressure On You To Have A Male Child by pocohantas(f): 6:44pm On Jun 05, 2020
anslem04:

Gud 2 know seun & mnyds let you off the hook. #no debes escapar wink

They let both of us off, I didn’t report you either. You just couldn’t shut up on how I needed mods to put you on leash. I need you to know my reporting/ignoring you was a PRIVILEGE. One on one, you no REACH.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How Well Do You Know Or Trust Your Househelp(s)/nanny / His Parents Doesn't Know He Has A Year Old Son. / His Staff Had Sex With His Daughter That Is A Minor. Should I Tell Him?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.