Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,195 members, 7,822,043 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:47 AM

Living Alone At 23, As A Single Lady, A Bad Idea Or Not? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Living Alone At 23, As A Single Lady, A Bad Idea Or Not? (44450 Views)

Census: My First Census Experience As A Single Living Alone. Hows It Going To Be / At 23 Years Old, I Have No Idea What I Am Doing With My Life / Man Buys His Daughter N35m BMW, A Job, An Apartment For Graduating At 23(Pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living Alone At 23, As A Single Lady, A Bad Idea Or Not? by Moneywirer: 1:46pm On Jun 10, 2020
Whether 18 or 23 or 32 or even 62. As long as you're a female you'd still be considered vulnerable. So I'd advice you to damn all those naysayers and live your life.
Just be responsible and visionary in your dealings.

4 Likes

Re: Living Alone At 23, As A Single Lady, A Bad Idea Or Not? by Phemact1: 1:47pm On Jun 10, 2020
Staying alone at the Age23 isn't a crime, like you said people ask about your living you usually tell them you stay alone.
Kindly stop telling everyone that you stay alone, you can tell them you stay with a friends for security purpose.

6 Likes

Re: Living Alone At 23, As A Single Lady, A Bad Idea Or Not? by Skyfornia(m): 1:47pm On Jun 10, 2020
AmIaYahooGirl:
Hello Nls,
I'm not really someone who listens to what people say but I just want to share this so that y'all can air your views.

I'm a young girl, 23 and an orphan, dropped out of school and came to Lagos to make ends meet. When I first came to Lagos, I stayed with a married female cousin of mine, along the line, the husband started making advances to me which I politely declined. He got angry and told his wife to throw me out of the house, and yes she did.

I was thrown out of the house without anywhere to go and as someone who has survived losing both parents at such a young age, I literally lived and survived in the streets. Did all sorts of menial jobs, hawked purewater, soft drinks, worked in a bar and all that before I finally got an apartment.

The story isn't quite necessary but when I get talking with people and I tell them that I stay alone, next thing I'll hear is "you're too young to stay alone... it's not a good idea...blah blah blah. Some older woman even told me to go back to my cousin's house and beg them so I can continue staying with them, another told me that it's better I stay with my boyfriend than staying alone.

I really don't understand all these talks, like despite all I've been through, isn't staying alone the best option? Or is there something wrong with staying alone as a single young lady?

Your humble opinion is needed, thanks

Not a big deal....but if you are still bothered, you can get a room mate or I can come stay with you. cool
Re: Living Alone At 23, As A Single Lady, A Bad Idea Or Not? by kolade560: 1:48pm On Jun 10, 2020
condition makes u stay alone not that you want it. don't mind wat people says.....
And you self, you talk too much, must you tell people you stay alone?

2 Likes

Re: Living Alone At 23, As A Single Lady, A Bad Idea Or Not? by cray91(m): 1:48pm On Jun 10, 2020
Hey Girl! you're good to go. don't mind those people advising you. it's their own opinion though so we shouldn't disregard it but nonetheless you have no problem
it's better as you live alone than being with anyone considering your story though

About going to live with boyfriend count that idea out. just continou your hustle. stay your lane and mind your business God will Surely Pave way for you!

And you will surely be succesful and in due time you will meet the bone of your bone

Be a Good girl and no matter what challenges you may face never resort to RUNS
AmIaYahooGirl:
Hello Nls,
I'm not really someone who listens to what people say but I just want to share this so that y'all can air your views.

I'm a young girl, 23 and an orphan, dropped out of school and came to Lagos to make ends meet. When I first came to Lagos, I stayed with a married female cousin of mine, along the line, the husband started making advances to me which I politely declined. He got angry and told his wife to throw me out of the house, and yes she did.

I was thrown out of the house without anywhere to go and as someone who has survived losing both parents at such a young age, I literally lived and survived in the streets. Did all sorts of menial jobs, hawked purewater, soft drinks, worked in a bar and all that before I finally got an apartment.

The story isn't quite necessary but when I get talking with people and I tell them that I stay alone, next thing I'll hear is "you're too young to stay alone... it's not a good idea...blah blah blah. Some older woman even told me to go back to my cousin's house and beg them so I can continue staying with them, another told me that it's better I stay with my boyfriend than staying alone.

I really don't understand all these talks, like despite all I've been through, isn't staying alone the best option? Or is there something wrong with staying alone as a single young lady?

Re: Living Alone At 23, As A Single Lady, A Bad Idea Or Not? by SecretSpy666: 1:49pm On Jun 10, 2020
Not a bad idea but never tell any man you stay alone. Don't give your address to any man. Even your boyfriend, don't show him your house. Anyone who wants to see you, take the person to motor parks, bar or somewhere. Don't take man to your house

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living Alone At 23, As A Single Lady, A Bad Idea Or Not? by flokii: 1:49pm On Jun 10, 2020
Catabolism:

Just take note of these rules:
1.Don't allow males visit you at home
2.Have a very close female friend who you can rely on in case of emergency
3.If you are the church type try to have at least one trusted female member who will look out for you if you are not available due to any unforeseen
4.Be very friendly but firm with your neighbours.Don't ever allow a male neighbour spend the night in your room
5.Always make sure your apartment is safe and secure
6.Avoid late keeping nights.
7.Keep to rules 1-6

What kind of advice is this?

Why can't guys visit her? Nothing stops her from having her normal life please.

1 Like

Re: Living Alone At 23, As A Single Lady, A Bad Idea Or Not? by kokomaster3d: 1:49pm On Jun 10, 2020
AmIaYahooGirl:
Hello Nls,

Life is too short to care about what people think about you. I am 45 yrs old not married and dont intend to marry. I feel happy and fulfilled living my own life. I dont care about what people think about me. I enjoy this life to the fullest.

1 Like

Re: Living Alone At 23, As A Single Lady, A Bad Idea Or Not? by toprealman: 1:49pm On Jun 10, 2020
AmIaYahooGirl:
Hello Nls,
I'm not really someone who listens to what
people say but I
just want to share this so that y'all can
air your views.

Re: Living Alone At 23, As A Single Lady, A Bad Idea Or Not? by incogni2o: 1:50pm On Jun 10, 2020
As a Lady, staying alone depends on if you're idle most times or not.

If you're always buzy with work, nothing really wrong.

But if you're half or most times at home, it's not advisable.

You personally know what your weaknesses are.

Take everyones advice with a grain of salt.

Also, dont advertise to people that you stay alone, keep it to yourself.

Peace.

Drawing close to God(in a personal way) at this time, cant be overemphasized.

2 Likes

Re: Living Alone At 23, As A Single Lady, A Bad Idea Or Not? by Exmilitant(m): 1:50pm On Jun 10, 2020
You be adult at 23 na, what if you been join police or soja you for ask dis question? My sista, comot fear for body and enjoy your isolation.

1 Like

Re: Living Alone At 23, As A Single Lady, A Bad Idea Or Not? by princealexndre(m): 1:50pm On Jun 10, 2020
AmIaYahooGirl:
Hello Nls,

make I come visit you? Where u Dey live
Re: Living Alone At 23, As A Single Lady, A Bad Idea Or Not? by Mariangeles(f): 1:51pm On Jun 10, 2020
AmIaYahooGirl:
Hello Nls,

Re: Living Alone At 23, As A Single Lady, A Bad Idea Or Not? by otomatic(m): 1:52pm On Jun 10, 2020
Oin! You are doing well.
There is nothing wrong .
Re: Living Alone At 23, As A Single Lady, A Bad Idea Or Not? by Tae2x(m): 1:53pm On Jun 10, 2020
You've been through hell and back...staying alone shouldn't be your problem right now.
Re: Living Alone At 23, As A Single Lady, A Bad Idea Or Not? by mrkings84(m): 1:54pm On Jun 10, 2020
Nothing bad at all my sister. After all u were compelled by situations beyond u to start staying alone. Normally once an adult (18+) you should be independent and start staying alone. Mystory is not much different from yours, I started staying alone when I was exactly 23 also just that I'm a guy!

Just be careful with the kind of male friends u keep.

1 Like

Re: Living Alone At 23, As A Single Lady, A Bad Idea Or Not? by wunmi590(m): 1:55pm On Jun 10, 2020
Michelle55:
There's absolutely nothing wrong in staying alone.. Just be mindful of the kinda company you keep and exercise self-control at all times.
You can't please everyone dear, just live your best life and be true to yourself!
No one has the monopoly to your happiness.. If staying alone gives you the peace of mind you deserve as human, then go for it.

@amlayahoogirl, listen to this advice, that's what I intend saying too
Re: Living Alone At 23, As A Single Lady, A Bad Idea Or Not? by Zakarisammy(m): 1:55pm On Jun 10, 2020
I started staying alone @19. Left my family n joined the military at 19
Re: Living Alone At 23, As A Single Lady, A Bad Idea Or Not? by 12345baba(m): 1:55pm On Jun 10, 2020
U better stay alone and enjoy this life
Re: Living Alone At 23, As A Single Lady, A Bad Idea Or Not? by Nwaonyishi69: 1:55pm On Jun 10, 2020
The thing about it is how you may use your freedom and also how onlookers will perceive you. With your freedom you may be abused harassed an frightened by every Tom, Dick and harry; worse still, if you are hot in the middle, you may freely test all sizes and shapes of men and their things in a quest for hedonistic satisfaction. In onlookers' perceptions, most will see you as a free sex worker, fear you for being too independent minded; construe you as prone to mental moods and communicable ailments- -stds; many still would not be sure of your being human or who to run to when you go Waco. So, truly, it is a dangerous choice.

1 Like

Re: Living Alone At 23, As A Single Lady, A Bad Idea Or Not? by AmIaYahooGirl(f): 1:56pm On Jun 10, 2020
The pms ain't necessary, drop ur opinions here... I'll read it.... thank you

5 Likes

Re: Living Alone At 23, As A Single Lady, A Bad Idea Or Not? by govomotors: 1:57pm On Jun 10, 2020
When you listen to the noise in the market, you will achieve nothing.

The wrong mentality from uneducated and so-called educated people that still live in the 40's should not bother you in the modern age of Hi-Tech.

Lady, package yourself by getting a place you can afford, dress to kill (you can get good stuff from bend down boutique), if you can buy a car, buy one and live life to it fullness and stop reminding yourself as an orphan.

When you package yourself you attract good things to yourself.

Come to Abuja and see young ladies living alone. It's only a fool that will think a lady living alone is a prostitute.

I always and will always appreciate ladies living on their own.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living Alone At 23, As A Single Lady, A Bad Idea Or Not? by Enorde23: 1:58pm On Jun 10, 2020
see below
Re: Living Alone At 23, As A Single Lady, A Bad Idea Or Not? by CsRockefeller(m): 1:59pm On Jun 10, 2020
SexytorresE:
Thanks

You are not d OP na
Re: Living Alone At 23, As A Single Lady, A Bad Idea Or Not? by Wisdom1988: 2:00pm On Jun 10, 2020
My dear
Your story is not rare to find,but the issue in contest is the fact that you are a woman.

And so there are many things that if not handled properly would make the story sour and very unpleasant

I really think you need a roomie( female) that would stay by your side Because it's risky to stay all by yourself.

I can help in my own way, That's if you need it,not by force or a must.
Chat me up 07032301067.
Re: Living Alone At 23, As A Single Lady, A Bad Idea Or Not? by iCauseTrouble: 2:00pm On Jun 10, 2020
ElonMosque:

check her other thread grin grin grin grin
Even her name says it all

2 Likes

Re: Living Alone At 23, As A Single Lady, A Bad Idea Or Not? by Azmanaty: 2:01pm On Jun 10, 2020
Ohemababy:

Very correct.

I lived alone in 200level in school. I always made sure any guy I was close to never knew my house. Before they will plan and come and rape me.

Na so ur papa take rape ur mama?
Sense is far away from this one undecided

1 Like

Re: Living Alone At 23, As A Single Lady, A Bad Idea Or Not? by Originalsly: 2:04pm On Jun 10, 2020
Amotolongbo:

My advice to you is that, never tell any man you don’t trust so much that you live alone, men actually love preying on young girls living alone due to their vulnerability

Dear OP,

The above is supposed to be in bold..... put that above everything else. You being an orphan..... and working... make you even more vulnerable. If you go missing... or something happens to you... who cares?.... who will press for an investigation? Don't let others know you are an orphan.... it is better you put word out that your elder brothers are all soldiers.
On living alone..... in Lagos.... not a good idea. I would say it is better you have a room mate... a female with same values as you should be best.

3 Likes

Re: Living Alone At 23, As A Single Lady, A Bad Idea Or Not? by Catabolism(m): 2:04pm On Jun 10, 2020
flokii:

What kind of advice is this?

Why can't guys visit her? Nothing stops her from having her normal life please.
Oga advice your own now!
Na you want visit her?
Haven't you heard of rampant cases of rape and killings?
Girls like these are usually vulnerable.They fall in love easily and trust guys who take advantage of their vulnerability to harm them.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living Alone At 23, As A Single Lady, A Bad Idea Or Not? by AmIaYahooGirl(f): 2:04pm On Jun 10, 2020
Wisdom1988:
My dear
Your story is not rare to find,but the issue in contest is the fact that you are a woman.

And so there are many things that if not handled properly would make the story sour and very unpleasant

I really think you need a roomie( female) that would stay by your side Because it's risky to stay all by yourself.

I can help in my own way, That's if you need it,not by force or a must.
Chat me up 07032301067.

Help to get a roommate or what? Make me understand
Re: Living Alone At 23, As A Single Lady, A Bad Idea Or Not? by airminem(f): 2:07pm On Jun 10, 2020
Dont make hard on yourself. All the advice you needed is above my comment. Now, Get your buttt in your own apartment right away.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

How Often Should Couples Have Sex? / My Brother's Girlfriend Has Finally Charmed Him, Help Me Ooo / Woman With Cancer Reveals, Husband Is Not The Father Of 3 Kids; Nigerians React

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.