Stats: 3,153,256 members, 7,818,876 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:05 AM

My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner - Agriculture (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner (26602 Views)

My Cucumber Farming Dairy (pilot Phase) / My Cucumber Farm Dairy / My Soybean Farming Dairy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 12:16pm On Mar 01, 2021
ideepaul:
Kai see matured cane rat! For my area, boys fit tear down your farm just to dig it out form its hole
hahahaha truly sir the meat is worth it.. Already thinking of becoming a hunter self tongue
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by ideepaul: 5:07pm On Mar 01, 2021
willybaby:
hahahaha truly sir the meat is worth it.. Already thinking of becoming a hunter self tongue
abeg no change line of business because of sweet meat

Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by REUBEN010(m): 9:06pm On Mar 01, 2021
I've also started land preparations in readiness for this year planting season. May God reward us with hitch-free production, bountiful harvest and good revenue.
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 11:16pm On Mar 01, 2021
REUBEN010:
I've also started land preparations in readiness for this year planting season. May God reward us with hitch-free production, bountiful harvest and good revenue.
Amen
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by Ameboperoo(m): 11:18pm On Mar 01, 2021
willybaby:
This is just one of the fringe benefits of being a farmer. cheesy

Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by Curious345: 8:57pm On Mar 06, 2021
REUBEN010:
where is your farm.?
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by REUBEN010(m): 11:52am On Mar 07, 2021
Curious345:
where is your farm.?
Obafemi Owode LGA, Ogun State.
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by Jamestown123: 6:06pm On Mar 07, 2021
willybaby:
Amen
Boss Boss. Abeg how many basins of garri I fit get from 1 ula self? I won check something.
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 6:11pm On Mar 07, 2021
Jamestown123:
Boss Boss. Abeg how many basins of garri I fit get from 1 ula self? I won check something.
depends on how the ula do ? let's say average 4 to 8
Ula = 400heaps planted wit cassava stem
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by Jamestown123: 6:15pm On Mar 07, 2021
willybaby:
depends on how the ula do ? let's say average 4 to 8
Ula = 400heaps planted wit cassava stem
Thank u sir. Abeg what's the current price of Ula in ur side now sir. I'm just confused on how to sell mine. Like do u have any idea?
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by Curious345: 7:53pm On Mar 07, 2021
REUBEN010:

drop your number .
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by Curious345: 7:53pm On Mar 07, 2021
REUBEN010:

drop your number .good evening
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by REUBEN010(m): 11:22pm On Mar 07, 2021
Curious345:
drop your number .good evening
Good evening to you too. Check my signature.
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 10:20am On Mar 15, 2021
good morning house.
hope you all well, at my end yesterday we were blessed with rain, can't wait for the new season to start
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by Kehfie(f): 8:58am On Mar 19, 2021
willybaby:
TME419 looks to be outdated fa, just last year 5 new improved varieties was produced by IITA and I must tell you they all are dope, yield improved, canopies so weeding is reduced and the vitamin A cassava that has a yellow tuber, no need adding palm oil to fry and it's good 4 diabetic patients too.. kudos to IITA and others sha

Where can one get the improves varieties for producing garri and price per bundle please? For a farm in Benue
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 11:34am On Mar 20, 2021
Kehfie:

Where can one get the improves varieties for producing garri and price per bundle please? For a farm in Benue
Catholic relief society, IITA outgrower close to d farm, a neighbour willing to sell who has improved varieties, general market, umudike seeds from Abia if you buying in huge quantities etc. This are all ways you can buy stems.
On an average last year a bundle was sold for 1k

Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 6:52pm On Mar 27, 2021
farm update, after just a rainfall our cassava is all green and leafy once again

Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by Ameboperoo(m): 7:22pm On Mar 27, 2021
willybaby:
farm update, after just a rainfall our cassava is all green and leafy once again
Sorry I missed your call. I was in a meeting.
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 9:15pm On Mar 27, 2021
Ameboperoo:

Sorry I missed your call. I was in a meeting.
alright sir, call you tomorrow after church
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by northbird: 6:26pm On Mar 31, 2021
@ wilybaby, please, when are you planning to harvest.
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 7:22am On Apr 01, 2021
northbird:
@ wilybaby, please, when are you planning to harvest.
early June sir, once the rain is established and I'd be harvesting both farms
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by jeph19(m): 5:38am On Apr 02, 2021
amazing thread... followed tru
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 10:42am On Apr 02, 2021
jeph19:
amazing thread... followed tru
Wow that's awesome
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by northbird: 2:37am On Apr 04, 2021
@ wily baby,

1.why are you harvesting during the rainy season? Is it easier to harvest during the rainy season than the dry season?

Or is it a case of waiting to complete the 12 months cycle?

2.If I may ask, from your findings, is there a particular time of the year when cassava is scarce or has more value.

3. From your findings, under normal conditions and good mgt practices, how many tonnes can an acre give one.. Been asking some local farmers here, all they know is Dyna ( mini truck), I need actual figures.....
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 3:28pm On Apr 04, 2021
northbird:
@ wily baby,

1.why are you harvesting during the rainy season? Is it easier to harvest during the rainy season than the dry season?

2.If I may ask, from your findings, is there a particular time of the year when cassava is scarce or has more value.

3. From your findings, under normal conditions and good mgt practices, how many tonnes can an acre give one.. Been asking some local farmers here, all they know is Dyna ( mini truck), I need actual figures.....
hahahaha from the Dyna u actually can get the answers to some of ur questions, any way I promise to give you an answer later today, n so you know am a local farmer too grin
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by northbird: 5:28pm On Apr 04, 2021
@ wily baby, you are not a local farmer o grin.

I appreciate the way you gave a chronicle of the events of your project. Figures and all.

The farmers at my end, if I ask questions, they are just using dyna as a yardstick.

I was like, how will you know if you had a bumper harvest esp if you are to look at the performance of the cultivar one planted ( TME 419 or shine shine Bobo).

I was not even expecting them to give me actual figures, but at least a baseline tonnage, that regardless o... under good mgt practice, an acre should give so.. so n so. Na just dyna figures my people they quote.
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by northbird: 6:15pm On Apr 04, 2021
@ wilybaby.

How can you estimate the size of tubers underneath from one heap. Is it the size of the leaves/ canopy formed or the length of the stem.?
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 9:12pm On Apr 04, 2021
northbird:
@ wilybaby.

How can you estimate the size of tubers underneath from one heap. Is it the size of the leaves/ canopy formed or the length of the stem.?
if the cassava was planted on a heap, you will see the heap breaking apart from the base of the cassava stem.. earlier on this thread I posted a pic showing such cracks
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 9:52pm On Apr 04, 2021
northbird:
@ wily baby,

HAPPY EASTER everyone, hope you all had a blissful day, now to the answers....

1. Am harvesting, my Cassava June and yes it's easier harvesting during the raining season the soil is soft and wet so pulling the Cassava out of the soil ain't to difficult, now a little bit of crop science Cassava grows in stages and during the dry season the Cassava generally shuts down, the leafs fall off, and growth partially stunts, this is its way of coping with the drought but once the rain resumes even if it's just a rain you see the Cassava in days looking all green with new stems etc this is the cassava taping starch and water from the tubers underneath to help it grow, it's a very bad idea to harvest just after the rains resume even if your Cassava is up to 12months. you can harvest a month or 2 after the rains by this time, your tubers ain't just back to its former size but it's added in size and moisture content...

2.. I think Cassava is of more value after the very first harvest season.

3. An Acre here I will be using 5plots of a 100 by 100 that's how we measure in my locality.. grin Dyna is here once again, a plot that does "extremely" well can give you 1.5dyna load a Dyna should be able to produce 6 to 10 basins of garri depending on the kind of tuber, moisture content etc. garri production really has no fixed input to out put conversion rate because no variable is constant. time of harvest, variety, peeling, fermentation all this can affect output..

I chose to use Dyna because you really can't run from it esp if your business would be within your location, you can use the example I gave of a plot to calculate an Acre even heactres. I hope I was of help, thank you..
please my bosses can help out more and correct me if possible too
@ Ameboperoo
@ ideepaul
@ REUBEN010
@ sterlingsolutns

Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by willybaby(m): 9:56pm On Apr 04, 2021
please note, personally have seen where just 4 heaps of harvested cassava filled up a wheelbarrow, the Cassava did "extremely" well but I would advise anybody while making harvest projections, use average yield cause with GAP it might still end in tears.....
Re: My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner by northbird: 12:33am On Apr 05, 2021
@ wilybaby. Thanks Bro. You have done justice to the questions.
Keep up the good work.

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (18) (Reply)

Governor Shettima Inspects Farm Implements Procured By The State Govt. / Help- My Poultry Birds Are Dying / Man Without Legs Ploughing On A Farm (Photos)