Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,736 members, 7,817,029 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:38 PM

What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? - Properties (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? (28145 Views)

Quit Notice To A Tenant / Will A Tenant Pay During His 3 Or 6 Months Quit Notice? / My Uncle Is A Tenant In The City But Has An Empty Mansion In The Village (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by One4me: 3:06am On Jun 11, 2020
Wiseandtrue:

OP, you are an amateur. Your dad probably have experienced life as a tenant hence his hesitation

Only in Nigeria where the government claim to be serving the people will minimum wage be N30,000 per month and rents N250,000-N500,000 without soft loans to ease the stress of the peopleundecided

Buba Marwa, Fashola really tried to save the masses from, the çluches of crazy landlord bills

Now there's no job, where other countries are giving out huge palliative, Nigerians are expected to pay bills, from what

Them go steal

I wish this government will wake up from their slumber and re-visit this issue!!!

These are issues/laws worth giving attention to!!!

It is not a must that everyone must live in `a 3-Bed Flat.
Your Rent must never be more than 35%of your income, whether monthly or annually. Anything above that, you are looking for trouble.
If your Monthly income is #30,000, then go and rent a single Room that costs #10,000 - #12,000 per month, Maximum.
Dont go and rent a two bedroom and be forming big man, you are on a minimum wage, for God sake!

We really dont have a Govt in Nigeria. Landlord provides for everything, including water, gutter, electric Poles, when they build.
Landlords at times take loan to build a house and they have to repay the bank back, so how can they tolerate a defaulting tenant or do you want the bank to sieze their house?
Landlord- Tenant relationship is a Business relationship, they are not father Christmans. grin It is a matter of BUY-and- SELL.

You cant go into a ShopRite shop and carry an LCD TV and tell them there is no job therefore you wont pay. You will rather stay away from the place.
Samething, if you cant afford a rent, move to a lower class accomodation that you can afford and always take your rent as a priority.
Save for it, avoid other expenses, just to make sure your rent is always available.

The only thing l cant and will never tolerate is a tenant that owes me rent, l so much detest them.
As a kid, l remember my Dad say he wont by me a Chopper bicycle as Christmas present, which was the rave in those days.
I was so upset because l overheard him and my Mum talking about some money that he just got. My friends have just got their own shiny Chopper bikes.
I finally refused to eat and got sick, then he called me one day and said, l know you heard about the money but that money is for our Rent renewal and l cannot touch it. I was like so this man will suffer me just because of House` Rent?
Eventually he persuaded me to give up on the Bike and when the Landlord came to our house to collect the rent (5th of every January, he never misses it), l heard him praying for my Dad as usual. You will invite me to your own house warming bla bla bla.

I got my bike the following long Holiday (July!), my Dad completed his own House about two years later and that same Baba was at our house warming ceremony and my Dad recalled this same story to everyone at that event.
Every Tenant that lived in our own house has gone to build their own house from rigth inside our house except one stubborn goat who made a nuisance of himself, always trying to play smart, wont pay his rent when due and very arrogant.
After a lot of warning and a quit notice, my Dad changed the lock to his apartment, he went to bring Police, my Dad brought in Soldiers. Police told him to go to court. My Dad actaully sued him to court but he did not appear.

'Jankara' accelerated and finished his case in no time and just one morning as l was about to go to school, a big truck hired by my Dad (7am sharp) and the Court Bailiff came to pack all his properties, they siezed his car for auction. Come and see disgrace in the neighbourhood.
He quickly started running around and begging people to loan him money, the Bailiff told him that once the things gets to the Court, it will be sold at give-away price to recover his debts. Come and see begging, for someone who pulled Police on my Dad! grin

I refuse to go to school that day, l wa so glad to see his back.
Eventually, neighbours pleaded on his behalf with my Dad (Bailiff was getting impatient and wants to leave with the properties), somehow, he got the money together, from neighbours, Church members, his family members, etc. Every cent and the cost of litigation and Truck rent, was paid.
Finally, the truck left with the Bailiff and his things were strewn all over the road for almost five days; one rain decided to add insult to this injury.

Now, l am a landlord too, my Dad's landlord died two years ago at 97yrs, he was also a`t my own House Warming and l beleive that those tenants who really take their rent seriously and pay it on time, those who get the prayers of their Landlord, will build their own house in no time.
Maybe it is the pressure of not wanting to owe rent or maybe it is the prayers of the Landlord but l noticed that all my Dad's Tenant till date (except one) left from our house to their own. Right now, l have helped two of my own tenants to secure land at Ikorodu and l went with one to supervise block-laying on his land, just before the Covid-19 lockdown.
But they know that if you want to see my red eye, just dont pay your Rent once it is one week before it is due, then you will know that l am not nice at all.
I hate to ask people for money so l respect when they pay without my asking but my Tenants are like part of my family, l love them, it is only house rent that can separate us and we all know not to cross that line. By fire, by force, they must build their own house.
Even the young banker who just got married two years ago and was trying to buy a second flashy car, l told him there is no parking space except he buys a land first, he was angry but has bought the land anyway, now the Wife and his Mother are thanking me.
Silly Tenant, he wants to be flexing about with money, what if he loses his banking job suddenly, how will he pay my own rent or will l let him live there for free? I will throw him out jejely, l nor send.
You are yet to be a full grown man, until you have your own house.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by One4me: 3:20am On Jun 11, 2020
NigAmbassador:

Do you realize that you can be sued for such actions not limited to theft, etc

If only that tenant knows his right, you might have a date with the State.

And you think landlords too dont have and know their rights?
While l dont condone changing of keys or locking a tenant out but there laws that Landlords can use, to deal with such tenant, without wasting any time at all.
Its all in the Tenancy Laws and we all keep a copy and retain a sound Lawyer. undecided

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by One4me: 3:32am On Jun 11, 2020
okine4real:

Definely the house will always undergo repairs. I don't joke with mine house ohh. This year alone I have spend close to 200k doing one repair or the other... If I leave the repair undone, the problem would expand. After like three years Max, I would paint again. The senerio is, as a landlord don't be greedy, spend money on your house, so when you want to increase, know body go complain.

Another mistake landlords make is, you collect cheap rent, when you collect cheap rent, where do you want to get money to be used to maintain your house? If I have a room and parlor self contain and you paying 300k for city ohh, if anything spoil, I can't come and fix it, the 300k know reach me self for a year, but if tenants are paying 500k, I can still spend 100k to maintain the house for the tenants yearly. As a landlord, if you don't get things right from the beginning, you would be putting yourself in big trouble.

You are my type of Landlord, you sabi how e dey roll.
I ahev it in my own Agreement with tenants, that the House is designed for a maximum of five heads (Parents and two Children, max.), once you are more than that, the house is no longer suitable for you and you have to seek alternative accomodation, l dont want any over population and over-use of my facilities. All flats have their Prepaid meter, from inception, l load Credit on the Utilities meter that controls Compound lighthing, Cameras, Pumping machine and other general items. I do all repairs, you touch my wall, your Security Deposit is a gonner. No Generator after 11pm, use an Inverter if there is no light. Everything is in black and white in our "private" agreement and can be enforced at law but my tenants are nice lads in their late 20's, early thirties. .

And you are right, it is only in cheap houses that you see the tenants taking 'breeze' in the balcony, Behind Tenants are inside with A.C blaring and watching a Movie or listening to 'Are you don-tuulking'. grin
Is it true that Ibos are no-go areas as Tenants, most people l have heard from always say never, ever give then rent in your house?
What is your own experience with them?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by One4me: 3:49am On Jun 11, 2020
eni4real:
You are concerned about the welfare of your tenant.. I must commend you for that!!

But I don't think it is fair to increase the rent from 450 to 700K by your projection...

You intentionally omitted the part where he said he will increase the rent AFTER SEVEN YEARS!

What is the cost of a Bag of Rice in 2013 and what is the Cost today?
What is the yearly inflation rate in Nigeria, going by the crooked NBS statistics even?

You see, RENT is a Business and the Landlord too uses his rent to buy inflated Products in the market, from his own tenants.
So, if my tenant can increase the price of the Bag of Rice he sells for #8,000 in 2013, and sells same for #26,000 today (over 300% increase in seven years). d

Do you not even consider the Landlord very humane, if he increases the rent by just less than 100% in seven years?
Or do you guys forget that the Landlord also goes to the market with the rent, to buy what he also needs?

If l see the price of goods decrease, l am sure Landlords will also follow suit.
Landlords are not father Christmas, they have Bills to pay as well. undecided

7 Likes

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by onyeomanono24(f): 6:33am On Jun 11, 2020
Robnectar:

base on experiencegrin
No.. but becos i cant figure out any other reason someone will prefer quatting to sitting comfortable.
Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by Dpsychologist: 7:14am On Jun 11, 2020
Bestvicky16:
guy you're wicked oooo. You think 300k is easy to come by.
I knw its not easy. But people should cut coat according to their size. If you can’t afford expensive house go for one you will easily pay. He is a bachelor sef. If he stays in house of 100k no one will disturb him.

2 Likes

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by Robnectar(m): 7:15am On Jun 11, 2020
onyeomanono24:

No.. but becos i cant figure out any other reason someone will prefer quatting to sitting comfortable.

lol, grin
Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by Dpsychologist: 7:16am On Jun 11, 2020
One4me:

You intentionally omitted the part where he said he will increase the rent AFTER SEVEN YEARS!

What is the yearly inflation rate in Nigeria, going by the crooked NBS statistics even?

You see, RENT is a Business and the Landlord too uses his rent to buy inflated Products in the market, from his own tenants.
So, if my tenant can increase the price of the Bag of Rice he sells for #8,000 in 2013, and sells same for #26,000 today (over 300% increase in seven years). d

Do you not even consider the Landlord very humane, if he increases the rent by just less than 100% in seven years?
Or do you guys forget that the Landlord also goes to the market with the rent, to buy what he also needs?

If l see the price of goods decrease, l am sure Landlords will also follow suit.
On point
Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by Dpsychologist: 7:18am On Jun 11, 2020
One4me:

I ahev it in my own Agreement with tenants, that the House is designed for a maximum of five heads (Parents and two Children, max.), once you are more than that, the house is no longer suitable for you and you have to seek alternative accomodation, l dont want any over population and over-use of my facilities. All flats have their Prepaid meter, from inception, l load Credit on the Utilities meter that controls Compound lighthing, Cameras, Pumping machine and other general items. I do all repairs, you touch my wall, your Security Deposit is a gonner. No Generator after 11pm, use an Inverter if there is no light. Everything is in black and white in our "private" agreement and can be enforced at law but my tenants are nice lads in their late 20's, early thirties. .

And you are right, it is only in cheap houses that you see the tenants taking 'breeze' in the balcony, Behind Tenants are inside with A.C blaring and watching a Movie or listening to 'Are you don-tuulking'. grin
Is it true that Ibos are no-go areas as Tenants, most people l have heard from always say never, ever give then rent in your house?
Igbo people can be funny atimes even though its not all of them
Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by okine4real: 7:19am On Jun 11, 2020
One4me:

I had this tenant in ikorodu, the man na Igbo,he rides okada.. I done suffer, okada man dey leave for mine house for ikorodu because the house cheap, he don't don't send his children to school, or many be he say he know get money, he said in mine house for 3 years, he know pay rent. Rent na 70k ohh. And three years the man park go rent two bed room for the beginning of mine street. I don't leave the man say, well na sense he think say him get. Mine house of 500k, I have only one Igbo guy, the guy is not up to 30years I believe.. Corporate guy..one is Benin I believe, the remaining two are Yoruba. Giving houses to business Igbo men na trouble ohh, its difficult for them to carry 500k, 800k give you st once because they will them fit use that money do better turn over for business. Also there is just these stubbornness in them, As for me, mine house of 500k na only one person senior me, which is the married man, every other tenant I senior am, so I have these edge of, I senior you so at least you go respect me say I senior you not even say because I be your landlord.

Even mine house of 500k, the house was a bungalow before I demolished it, when it was still bungalow, i had one Igbo tenant, one delta tenant and a Yoruba tenant, while a Yoruba woman occupies the shop. The Igbo man ehh, I remember the first time he came to mine residence when he wanted to rent the house, because he said he wants to see the landlord, as he where talking, Iaskes, Sir what is your name, his response,Mine name is Chief John.... The man put Chief... He doesn't pay NEPA Bill, he would say the amount is much, that he pays 300 Naira from here he moved out from.

I bleeped up when the house was till bungalow, I didn't monitor the house, so when I gave them quite notice, since I was ready to demolish, they had already left bill of 900k for me. So I strike them back. I have them quite notice and they all stayed for a year without paying, but I call mine guy when be the NEPA marketer for the area we both came disconnected the light and he suspened the bill from reading. I gave them one year free but them know use light, if in had not suspended the light, they would have added like another 200k to the bill for the whole year they stayed.

2 Likes

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by Dpsychologist: 8:05am On Jun 11, 2020
One4me:

Your Rent must never be more than 35%of your income, whether monthly or annually. Anything above that, you are looking for trouble.
If your Monthly income is #30,000, then go and rent a single Room that costs #10,000 - #12,000 per month, Maximum.
Dont go and rent a two bedroom and be forming big man, you are on a minimum wage, for God sake!

We really dont have a Govt in Nigeria. Landlord provides for everything, including water, gutter, electric Poles, when they build.
Landlords at times take loan to build a house and they have to repay the bank back, so how can they tolerate a defaulting tenant or do you want the bank to sieze their house?
Landlord- Tenant relationship is a Business relationship, they are not father Christmans. grin It is a matter of BUY-and- SELL.

You cant go into a ShopRite shop and carry an LCD TV and tell them there is no job therefore you wont pay. You will rather stay away from the place.
Samething, if you cant afford a rent, move to a lower class accomodation that you can afford and always take your rent as a priority.
Save for it, avoid other expenses, just to make sure your rent is always available.

The only thing l cant and will never tolerate is a tenant that owes me rent, l so much detest them.
As a kid, l remember my Dad say he wont by me a Chopper bicycle as Christmas present, which was the rave in those days.
I was so upset because l overheard him and my Mum talking about some money that he just got. My friends have just got their own shiny Chopper bikes.
I finally refused to eat and got sick, then he called me one day and said, l know you heard about the money but that money is for our Rent renewal and l cannot touch it. I was like so this man will suffer me just because of House` Rent?
Eventually he persuaded me to give up on the Bike and when the Landlord came to our house to collect the rent (5th of every January, he never misses it), l heard him praying for my Dad as usual. You will invite me to your own house warming bla bla bla.

I got my bike the following long Holiday (July!), my Dad completed his own House about two years later and that same Baba was at our house warming ceremony and my Dad recalled this same story to everyone at that event.
Every Tenant that lived in our own house has gone to build their own house from rigth inside our house except one stubborn goat who made a nuisance of himself, always trying to play smart, wont pay his rent when due and very arrogant.
After a lot of warning and a quit notice, my Dad changed the lock to his apartment, he went to bring Police, my Dad brought in Soldiers. Police told him to go to court. My Dad actaully sued him to court but he did not appear.

'Jankara' accelerated and finished his case in no time and just one morning as l was about to go to school, a big truck hired by my Dad (7am sharp) and the Court Bailiff came to pack all his properties, they siezed his car for auction. Come and see disgrace in the neighbourhood.
He quickly started running around and begging people to loan him money, the Bailiff told him that once the things gets to the Court, it will be sold at give-away price to recover his debts. Come and see begging, for someone who pulled Police on my Dad! grin

Eventually, neighbours pleaded on his behalf with my Dad (Bailiff was getting impatient and wants to leave with the properties), somehow, he got the money together, from neighbours, Church members, his family members, etc. Every cent and the cost of litigation and Truck rent, was paid.
Finally, the truck left with the Bailiff and his things were strewn all over the road for almost five days; one rain decided to add insult to this injury.

Now, l am a landlord too, my Dad's landlord died two years ago at 97yrs, he was also a`t my own House Warming and l beleive that those tenants who really take their rent seriously and pay it on time, those who get the prayers of their Landlord, will build their own house in no time.
Maybe it is the pressure of not wanting to owe rent or maybe it is the prayers of the Landlord but l noticed that all my Dad's Tenant till date (except one) left from our house to their own. Right now, l have helped two of my own tenants to secure land at Ikorodu and l went with one to supervise block-laying on his land, just before the Covid-19 lockdown.
But they know that if you want to see my red eye, just dont pay your Rent once it is one week before it is due, then you will know that l am not nice at all.
I hate to ask people for money so l respect when they pay without my asking but my Tenants are like part of my family, l love them, it is only house rent that can separate us and we all know not to cross that line. By fire, by force, they must build their own house.
Even the young banker who just got married two years ago and was trying to buy a second flashy car, l told him there is no parking space except he buys a land first, he was angry but has bought the land anyway, now the Wife and his Mother are thanking me.
Silly Tenant, he wants to be flexing about with money, what if he loses his banking job suddenly, how will he pay my own rent or will l let him live there for free? I will throw him out jejely, l nor send.
Very well sir.
I like your input

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by Kalatium(m): 10:00am On Jun 11, 2020
Dpsychologist:

Lol some tenants want to play sense for their landlords and end up getting Caught.
Ah tell you
Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by Nobody: 10:10am On Jun 11, 2020
One4me:

His reason (for increasing the rent ) is different from yours!!
Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by Wiseandtrue(f): 10:18am On Jun 11, 2020
One4me:

I took my time to read your lengthen post and I must confess that every bit of it made sense.

Your dad was a good man and you are following his footsteps

I am glad you mean well for your tenants

I wish most landlords can be the same

2 Likes

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by okine4real: 10:44am On Jun 11, 2020
odimbannamdi:

Room and parlour self-contained apartment for 500k? Where is your house located, sir. I am curious
Mine house is situated around Jibowu Lagos. You need to understand that, a new house is at least twice expensive than an old house. Even on mine street, there is room and parlor self contain that goes for 350k, 250K, but when you see mine own house, you would not like those cheap houses. I decided from the onset, am not building for poor tenants, I want rich and responsible tenants. Even all the tenants said they are comfortable with the 50k service charge. The house is neat, running water, if the water get K leg, less than 12 hours it would be solved. Know need chasing every tenants every month to pay 500 Naira each in other to pay the old woman that sweeps the compound, the woman sweeps, inform me at the end of the month and I pay her promptly, but don't 350k house, 250k house, to pay the woman cleaning the compound na wahala, na right, pay NEPA bill be wahala, if something spoil to repair na wahala.. I don't want people that have those kind of mentality in mine house so I package am well. I have just four tenants, the ground floor na two big shops which is used by me, I have less tenants, the house know get crowd. But those house of 250k, 350k na barracks.. The journey long bro... If you understand.... You understand.... Lol

I know you will always thank me later...

4 Likes

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by Amyyy2020: 12:01pm On Jun 11, 2020
nasoeb:
riv state
Ouch!
I'm in Lagos.
Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by oladforever: 12:49pm On Jun 11, 2020
HAVE YOUR BUSINESS PROPOSAL/FEASIBILITY REPORT DELIVER TO YOU WITHIN 48 HOURS WITH FREE CASH FLOW PROJECTION AND FUNDING TIPS AT AN AFFORDABLE PRICE.
Do you want to expand your business, be more competitive in your industry or achieve certain goals?
If you answered “YES” to any of the above, you need a business plan! Whether you've just started out or been running for years, business planning can be the key to your success.
Developing and articulating a good business plan/proposal makes your business ideal to have a focus, direction, defines your objectives and maps out strategies to achieve your goals. It helps you know upfront about you capability of running such business, highlighting all the requirements and projected profit/income streams at a glance. A business plan is a living guide that every business should develop as the business grows and changes. Successful businesses review and update their business plan when circumstances change. A business plan thus assist in seeking finance for your business either through banks or investors, showing them why they should invest in your business.
Why don’t you contact us today at DOLAPATH GLOBAL SERVICES for you detailed BUSINESS PLAN or BUSINESS REVIEW.

We will help you develop/review your business plan that will help you comfortably start your business idea and/ or expand your existing business while exceeding your expectations.
We’ve had previous success stories in the following business areas:

Cassava Tuber Farming And Production
Cassava Starch And Flour Production
Plastic Production
Plastic & Aluminium Tin Can Recycling
Soap Production
Palm Oil And Palm Kernel Oil Production
Tissue Paper Production And Packaging
Jumbo Reels Production
Dry Cleaning Services
Pharmaceutical Drug Production
Pure & Table Water Production
Bread And Pastries Production
Printing / Advertising Services
Block Production
Juice Production
Snail Farming
Poultry and Cat-Fish Production. E.T.C.
Why don’t you reach us today and be a part of our many success stories.
Principal Consultant: Olusegun Oladeyi
You can reach us via:
Email: dolapathglobal@gmail.com
Twitter: @Segzyyy
Call/Watsapp: 08067627940.

Thank you.
Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by One4me: 4:47pm On Jun 11, 2020
Wiseandtrue:

I took my time to read your lengthen post and I must confess that every bit of it made sense.

Your dad was a good man and you are following his footsteps

I am glad you mean well for your tenants

I wish most landlords can be the same

To be honest, everyone has a dark side, myself included. My own is l like Money too much and my eyes go red once you start playing with my Rent payment. May God forgive me, l hope to change sha

Some Tenants are very nice, so nice that you will think they are your family (at least until when Rent Increase is due grin )
There is this one in the particular House l live now, himself and my youngest Son have become like 5 & 6!
If l am looking for my Son, he will answer from Tenant's Flat (Male Tenant). In my head, l am thinking, if per-chance l need to eject this man from my House, l will have to contend with my Son and Wife, not a very comfortable thought. shocked

The guy has turned himself into Lesson teacher for my Son during this Covid Period. His wife has become like a Junior Sister to my Wife!
l appreciate their niceness and try to help them as much as possible but me, l am always very wary of tenants.
I have this belief that "Tenant and Landlord" can only be temporary friends, as long as Rent is paid promptly, so l always try to leave that "gap" there just incase One Tenant want to scatter my Cash flow by not paying Rent when due.
Its like a well-fed Cat and a Mouse, as long as the cat is well-fed, he wount bother the Mouse aand they can be good friends but once their is Famine and the Cat starts going hungry, he will start looking at his Mouse-Friend like a plate of Chicken!
grin

House Building for me, is strictly a Business, l did a some stocks, pre-2008, over #20M stocks is currently valued at under #2M and as such, now l just buy land, Keep for resell and build houses for Rent, those are my own Retirement Plan.
For me, Tenants need to follow just two rules to enjoy how nice l can be:
- Never delay in paying Your Rent/Lease
- Act decently whenever you are within the Building.
Daazall. undecided

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by One4me: 11:49pm On Jun 11, 2020
okine4real:

Mine house is situated around Jibowu Lagos. You need to understand that, a new house is at least twice expensive than an old house. Even on mine street, there is room and parlor self contain that goes for 350k, 250K, but when you see mine own house, you would not like those cheap houses. I decided from the onset, am not building for poor tenants, I want rich and responsible tenants. Even all the tenants said they are comfortable with the 50k service charge. The house is neat, running water, if the water get K leg, less than 12 hours it would be solved. Know need chasing every tenants every month to pay 500 Naira each in other to pay the old woman that sweeps the compound, the woman sweeps, inform me at the end of the month and I pay her promptly, but don't 350k house, 250k house, to pay the woman cleaning the compound na wahala, na right, pay NEPA bill be wahala, if something spoil to repair na wahala.. I don't want people that have those kind of mentality in mine house so I package am well. I have just four tenants, the ground floor na two big shops which is used by me, I have less tenants, the house know get crowd. But those house of 250k, 350k na barracks.. The journey long bro... If you understand.... You understand.... Lol

I know you will always thank me later...

Rich tenants are not usuallyreRsponsible, from my own observation.
Such Rich Tenants believe their money has bought them all the 'Entitlements' and except the Landlord is willing to do everything for them (and they would have paid for it in advance), they dont lift a finger, even to close the gate can be a bother for them. Make sure the gate is automatic.

I like young, educated and upwardly Mobile guys/couples about to marry (No single Girls or Baby Mamas, l just cant tolerate drama) or just married with one kid at the most. Tenants are always getting pregnant and giving birth in my house. grin
I dont like seeing a lot of people going-in and coming-out and l dont like sharing anything with Tenants, not even parking space.

But if any tenant think they are rich, they should build or buy a house for themselves, it is more comfortable that way.
Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by WoundedLamb: 12:09am On Jun 12, 2020
One4me:

Rich tenants are not usuallyreRsponsible, from my own observation.
Such Rich Tenants believe their money has bought them all the 'Entitlements' and except the Landlord is willing to do everything for them (and they would have paid for it in advance), they dont lift a finger, even to close the gate can be a bother for them. Make sure the gate is automatic.

I like young, educated and upwardly Mobile guys/couples about to marry ( No single Girls or Baby Mamas, l just cant tolerate drama ) or just married with one kid at the most. Tenants are always getting pregnant and giving birth in my house. grin
I dont like seeing a lot of people going-in and coming-out and l dont like sharing anything with Tenants, not even parking space.

But if any tenant think they are rich, they should build or buy a house for themselves, it is more comfortable that way.

@bolded: This is how a Chinese woman here told me outrightly that she didn't want a black guy in her house cause she didn't want "drama". When I tried to argue with her, my friend, a black person, said she had good reasons to say that. I felt such racial profiling by the Chinese lady was racist to say the least especially given the fact that we weren't even in her country. But then back in Africa, women obviously suffer worst fate. The misogyny down there is comparable to the racism over here. Women are not encouraged to be as successful and independent as the men. Either a landlord will not allow her in or she'll automatically be called olosho. We make marriage seem like an end goal for the ladies and even when they eventually get married, we only encourage her to grow provided she doesn't get as successful as her husband. Funny thing is that we'll still be complaining about how dependent women are.
Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by nasoeb: 12:52pm On Jun 12, 2020
Amyyy2020:
Ouch! I'm in Lagos.
hehe, thanks.
Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by larryking540: 2:22pm On Jun 12, 2020
Dpsychologist:

Very true.
I knw of a tenant that broke the tiles before he left. Is it doing it as a form of anger or what? ,that i don't know
some of them pound pounded yam inside the hux ,I have seen a lot do that
Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by larryking540: 2:35pm On Jun 12, 2020
sassysure:
Sometimes building house for rent isn't the best option
but sometimes it's important to bring in a business that brings in either a monthly income or yearly income to your household ,not waiting for one over night 1million naira to click
Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by bigcee(m): 11:14pm On Jun 12, 2020
nikz:

I had this kind of tenant what I did was buy prepaid meter for everyone story end till date. All your tenants should sign an agreement from a good law firm when they see it they will know this landlord no dey joke.
Pls what is the cost of the prepaid meter you bought?
Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by bigcee(m): 11:28pm On Jun 12, 2020
tonididdy:
"they trained chickens right in their living room"
grin grin grin

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by bigcee(m): 1:09am On Jun 13, 2020
NoToPile:
"the one that was reminded about his rent being due that said it skipped his mind" grin grin grin
Lmao grin

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by Ndipe(m): 8:41am On Jun 13, 2020
One of my uncle's allowed his childhood friend to stay in his boysquarters rent free.His benevolent gesture was outside the state he currently stays at. His friend lived there rent free for nine years. Then my uncle heard that he was telling people that he was the owner of the house. Afraid that he might misappropriate his property, my uncle gave him a quit notice
The guy took offence and quarelled with my uncle. That ended their decades long friendship.
Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by tpapi: 8:46am On Jun 13, 2020
joyfullyjoyous:
Many are mad but few ate roaming.
Seems the law is more in favour of the tenants than landlords reason most of them misbehave. One rented an apartment n stayed extra three years without paying a dime. She claimed she was building her own house n would soon pack out She was always promising to pay. Her daughter is a lawyer n perhaps she felt she was covered but I know she will eventually get rewarded for her wickedness. Mrs Yinka Salam,wherever u r just know that someday you will get your reward as what goes around comes around.
Another who we learnt was staying in a room apartment cane to rent a two bedroom flat. He also owed for over two years before leaving. The day he was packing out I almost called in the police but later had a change of mind.
It's high time the govt reviewed tenancy law as it's giving wicked tenants more power. Abroad you can't misbehave. You can't owe for too long else your load would be thrown outside.
As bad as our law is a tenant owing for 5 years if taken to court may end up staying another 5years without paying. This is too bad
u said the tenant stayed for 3 years without paying why didnt u engage d services of a lawyer so d courts can evict him
Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by NoToPile: 7:12am On Jun 14, 2020
bigcee:

Lmao grin

grin grin grin
I don't know how someone would say something like that.

Me too I am a tenant and I know how we start planning for house rent, even before 5 months to the expiry date we ensure we make provision for it. We paid another rent recently during lockdown landlord is abroad, the baba didn't even remember , exactly on the day the rent expired we had to send watsap message to baba that how are we going to pay oo, account no and everything. Baba was surprised, he called hubby and gisted with him.

Baba sent account no and we paid the money in. He now transfered money we had used to buy a new pump( we are the only ones in the compound) and also a gift for the new baby.

We could have used this lockdown as an excuse that there was no payment blabla bla (like one of my mums tenant did again) as if one doesn't plan rent before the due date.

I have seen how painful/annoying it is to deprive landlords of their right and as a tenant by Gods grace we won't do such we too want to have our own home.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by NoToPile: 7:19am On Jun 14, 2020
okine4real:

Definely the house will always undergo repairs. I don't joke with mine house ohh. This year alone I have spend close to 200k doing one repair or the other... If I leave the repair undone, the problem would expand. After like three years Max, I would paint again. The senerio is, as a landlord don't be greedy, spend money on your house, so when you want to increase, know body go complain.

Another mistake landlords make is, you collect cheap rent when you collect cheap rent, where do you want to get money to be used to maintain your house? If I have a room and parlor self contain and you paying 300k for city ohh, if anything spoil, I can't come and fix it, the 300k know reach me self for a year, but if tenants are paying 500k, I can still spend 100k to maintain the house for the tenants yearly. As a landlord, if you don't get things right from the beginning, you would be putting yourself in big trouble.

This baba is talking the facts but sir there are some locations you cannot just put high rent. Like locations of my mums properties, self contain with the best finishing can't be more than 200k maximum in one and the one in ikorodu can't be more than 100k I think. Also locations determine the calibre of tenants too. sad

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by NoToPile: 7:32am On Jun 14, 2020
One4me:

Landlord- Tenant relationship is a Business relationship, they are not father Christmans. grin It is a matter of BUY-and- SELL

when the Landlord came to our house to collect the rent (5th of every January, he never misses it), l heard him praying for my Dad as usual. You will invite me to your own house warming bla bla bla.

l beleive that those tenants who really take their rent seriously and pay it on time, those who get the prayers of their Landlord, will build their own house in no time

But they know that if you want to see my red eye, just dont pay your Rent once it is one week before it is due then you will know that l am not nice at all.

Even the young banker who just got married two years ago and was trying to buy a second flashy car, [b]l told him there is no parking space except he buys a land first [/b]he was angry but has bought the land anyway, now the Wife and his Mother are thanking me.

Nice points sir, some got me rolling in laughter grin grin grin
Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by ovalrose(f): 8:29am On Jun 14, 2020
NoToPile:

Nice points sir, some got me rolling in laughter grin grin grin

Happy Sunday, ma'am. How's the family? Please I just sent you a PM

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Azuri Peninsula In Eko Atlantic Begins Construction! / Re: Pictorial Representation Of A Kitchen Cabinet And Doors / Got A Busy Schedule?...the Solution Is Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 174
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.