Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,704 members, 7,816,881 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:20 PM

What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? (28141 Views)

Quit Notice To A Tenant / Will A Tenant Pay During His 3 Or 6 Months Quit Notice? / My Uncle Is A Tenant In The City But Has An Empty Mansion In The Village (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by okine4real: 1:27pm On Jun 10, 2020
i have about 8 tenants in one of mine house, they have refused to pay mine rent for about three years now. the rent is 70k per annum, room and parlor self contain. the worst is, this guys are giving birth in mine house. To even go to mine house self they tire me... Because of how tenants behave in ikorodu, i decided not to build there anymore. Most of the tenants always behaving has if they have not eating for years, when i ask for rent na story, but they are lucky because i live very far from the said house so i cant really deal with them.... i also have another structure there, someone is leaving there free of charge.... the person only helps in cleaning the compound, mine friend put them there so as to secure the compound. so because of the ikorodu experience, i decided to build another structure close to where i leave, i leave somewhere around Jibowu Lagos.. after building the house, i rented it for 450k per annum and 50k service charge...total is 500k. i made the rent so high so that, all those people when never chop would not near mine house. i tried as much as i can to make the house very beautiful. If there is know light for even a year, the house has a generator that would be used to pump water, i made it clear, i dont want to see aboki selling water to the tenants, any security light that gets burnt will be replaced by me, if the pumping machine gets spoil, it would be fixed by me,payment for lawma is included in the service charge also with payment for the woman sweeping the compound, that was the reason i charged them service charge. Every tenants minds there business, even one of mine tenants changed his car after moving in. the main reason most landlords have problem wit tenants is because most of the tenants done too tey for the house so they become Gods... after like 7 years, i will increase the rent to like 600k or more, depending on what is obtainable. And i will not want to give mine room and parlor self contain to married people.. Even if you want to get married, they would either park out or give birth to lesser children may be two kids or maximum 3 kids. the fact is tenants that have these kind of mind set is different from those once when know get money yet born like 5 children still bring him relation come the house. so strategically i placed come factors before renting mine house house. bad tenants more worst than bad wife. Also dont make your rent cheap, when your rent is 200k for two bed room flat in a place like Jibowu... even when the occupants are not working, they will be able to pay the rent because with two direct from baba IJEBU THEY WILL HAVE THE MONEY TO PAY YOUR RENT, mean while, two bed room flat new house is 800k in Jibowu. But the bad part is such kind of tenants cannot do repairs in your house, if there are major damage, the damage would be left undone, and once left undone, the damage would keep expanding.... Also landlord should try and get prepaid meters for tenants, its expensive but when installed in a house, it reduces rift between landlord and tenant.

cheera

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by OKTolu: 1:28pm On Jun 10, 2020
This landlord/tenants stuff no be today ooo
he don tey

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by Catabolism(m): 1:28pm On Jun 10, 2020
Mine is with a fellow tenant with which we share same meter.The guy cooperated at first as we usually share the light bill after some months na me come dey pay sake of say I get new born baby.The guy comes in very late and leaves very early.Later , I move out as the guy became an incurable debtor owing house rent,security and nepa bills.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by PotatoSalad(m): 1:29pm On Jun 10, 2020
Inception:

Then cut your coat according to your size.

You cant be having money for batcher room and be eyeing a 3 bedroom flat in Maryland.
What is wrong with you people sef
grin
Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by tonididdy(m): 1:33pm On Jun 10, 2020
the house I inherited from my late father... there's this tenant in the house, I have given them more than 7 quit notice with court orders but they refused to leave.
the tenant told me to my face, " I dey this house before them born you"... so I just let them be, when them get rent, them call me... I go go take otherwise I dash them the rooms before

well out of the blue, they called me and said they had moved out of the house.

I went to see for myself and truly they had packed out. the room condition was an eye sore. they trained chickens right in their living room. some people Sha...

15 Likes

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by Donraqh(m): 1:33pm On Jun 10, 2020
OP you mean you did all these in this COVID-19? Hmmm

Dpsychologist:
What is Your Worst Experience with a Tenant?

As there are terrible experiences with landlords there are also terrible experiences with tenants. Today i will like to share a worst experience with a tenant.

My dad happens to be a landlord so we have met alot of tenants.

There was a stubborn tenant that rented a 3 bedroom flat worth 300k. He told my dad he will pay 250k now when he has the remaining he will pay. That's when the notoreity started. The tenant refused to pay the 50k, despite my dad's constant reminder.

When his rent expires he said he will soon pay that he needs more time, that he wants to pay everything at once. The next time my dad ask him, he said he is in financial crises all this was while i was in school. When i came back for end of semester break i still heard that the man hasn't paid his rent. I began pressuring my dad to collect this rent, the tenant has spent over 5months without paying a dime. My dad said the man lost his uncle and went for burial recently. Thats when i realize he has been given excuse to my dad for a very long time.

After sometimes i told my dad not to allow the man stay one more month without paying. My dad threaten to bring the police and take him to court. The man blocked my dad number, then my dad called him with another number when he picked and discover it was my dad he claim he didnt see my dad's initial call that he was sick. The man then switched off his phone.

We decided to go to meet the man together with a lawyer but he was not around. I placed a 2month notice and that he must pay for the months he has stayed in the house. After a week the man called with a new number pleading that he should not be evicted. He asked for my dad's account number so that he will pay. The man send 50k only. My dad told him he just completed his last year rent and will have to pay for the current year. The man refused. After the two months my dad changed the door lock thereby preventing him from getting inside even though his stuffs are inside.

After a month, a woman from the Neighborhood told my dad that the man we evicted is still living in the house. He usually comes in late at around 11-12pm and goes out around 7am. The next day we arrived there few minutes past 6 but the man has already gone. We discover that he changed the lock to the house. We end up confiscating all his properties and emptied his room. Till today he is yet to be found.

I have others stories about other tenants but i will love to hear your story. Over to you.

What is your worst experience with a tenant?
Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by bnovative(m): 1:33pm On Jun 10, 2020
Dpsychologist:
What is Your Worst Experience with a Tenant?

As there are terrible experiences with landlords there are also terrible experiences with tenants. Today i will like to share a worst experience with a tenant.

My dad happens to be a landlord so we have met alot of tenants.

There was a stubborn tenant that rented a 3 bedroom flat worth 300k. He told my dad he will pay 250k now when he has the remaining he will pay. That's when the notoreity started. The tenant refused to pay the 50k, despite my dad's constant reminder.

When his rent expires he said he will soon pay that he needs more time, that he wants to pay everything at once. The next time my dad ask him, he said he is in financial crises all this was while i was in school. When i came back for end of semester break i still heard that the man hasn't paid his rent. I began pressuring my dad to collect this rent, the tenant has spent over 5months without paying a dime. My dad said the man lost his uncle and went for burial recently. Thats when i realize he has been given excuse to my dad for a very long time.

After sometimes i told my dad not to allow the man stay one more month without paying. My dad threaten to bring the police and take him to court. The man blocked my dad number, then my dad called him with another number when he picked and discover it was my dad he claim he didnt see my dad's initial call that he was sick. The man then switched off his phone.

We decided to go to meet the man together with a lawyer but he was not around. I placed a 2month notice and that he must pay for the months he has stayed in the house. After a week the man called with a new number pleading that he should not be evicted. He asked for my dad's account number so that he will pay. The man send 50k only. My dad told him he just completed his last year rent and will have to pay for the current year. The man refused. After the two months my dad changed the door lock thereby preventing him from getting inside even though his stuffs are inside.

After a month, a woman from the Neighborhood told my dad that the man we evicted is still living in the house. He usually comes in late at around 11-12pm and goes out around 7am. The next day we arrived there few minutes past 6 but the man has already gone. We discover that he changed the lock to the house. We end up confiscating all his properties and emptied his room. Till today he is yet to be found.

I have others stories about other tenants but i will love to hear your story. Over to you.

What is your worst experience with a tenant?
I'm not in support of the tenant who couldn't pay his rent but get this straight : what you and your dad did was illegal and I'm sure the lawyer knew the truth but refused to inform you.
Was there any tenancy agreement?
You don't give 2 months eviction notice to a tenant who pays his rent yearly.
It's not the place of police to evict anyone from a property!
Thank your star the tenant was ignorant of so many things. Una for buy big market.
You mean you change my doors without my presence?
Better seek knowledge before taking certain actions. You may not just be lucky again.

5 Likes

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by otokx(m): 1:34pm On Jun 10, 2020
Most times there is no tenancy agreement.
Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by Nobody: 1:36pm On Jun 10, 2020
Jacqueline22:
My own is that my tenant won’t, sweep, burn dirty, the guys smokes weed so tey me mk I no Dey smoke start Dey high.
the thing is that the tenant are much older than me.. if I talk I will start feeling guilty as if I’m insulting them.
There is one that is very manipulative this lady want to know every details about me...
Should I go on?
Pele
Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by waynejesus: 1:38pm On Jun 10, 2020
Dpsychologist:

The thing affected me in school.
My dad always complaining there is no money

Oga na lie
Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by Nobody: 1:38pm On Jun 10, 2020
manuel4real:
light Is a major problem amongst tenants as far as I am concerned, my mum had to buy prepaid meter for her tenants just to settle this matter.

E no reach 1-month see these guys go bypass the stuff lipsrsealed

But there's this tenant a family actually, they packed into our house, the first year they paid 150k, that was August I think when time reach to renew rent, Na so so money no de we de hear for 2months till she finally paid. Before the next renewal she begged my mum to reduce the rent for her, that her husband does not do anything, she's the one taking care of everything in the family, my mum pitied her and removed 20k. when it was time to renew the rent story start again, firstly she paid 20k, in 3 months time she paid 50k, next 40k then 20k, Na so she pay house rent that year. But before she paid she informed my mum that her house needs maintenance, of which mumcy agreed to, unfortunately for her, something came up in her business and she needed lots of money to solve it, so she called this woman to explain to her, you need to see how this woman reacted, she didn't want to hear her out, she just hanged the call then call my brother and started shouting at him that she doesn't like such nonsense talk, saying all sorts of rubbish, the husband collected the phone and started shouting too saying he's a prince in his village and so on. Mehn, their statement angered my mum and she decided she won't maintain anything again, that if the house is no longer convenient for them, they should pack out when their rent expires.

Some people can be so ungrateful in this life

Prince Hakeem grin grin
Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by gowonmaharajah(m): 1:39pm On Jun 10, 2020
thunder fire every wicked landlord/lady.
our landlady made my mama shed hot tears,not because we owed her rent or something. she was just plainly wicked on her.that was the day I swore to build a big mansion for my mama
the landlady died 9 days after we moved outta her house.
let her goan chop her house in heaven
Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by Nobody: 1:41pm On Jun 10, 2020
daddytime:
Op, I'm sure you are a graduate by now.

It is well with your written English.
Say that to Buhari too undecided
Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by AreaFada2: 1:42pm On Jun 10, 2020
All those rogue tenants, na thunder go fire their nyansh. In fact Na poverty go dey romance dem. Eternally.

They come with sweet mouth forming religious and nice. Only to begin giving excuses when contract renewal is due.

Some sign an undertaking with a lawyer to pay the money they owe when moving out. But they never pay.

When you want to deal with them legally people will say you are oppressing the poor.

Why can't he just forget about the money they will question.

4 Likes

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by Vivuch: 1:43pm On Jun 10, 2020
Some tenants are dirty, like they use the house anyhow. Some of them don't even sweep their frontage. They mess up the restroom and every part of the house. Avoid dirty tenants

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by odunH(m): 1:43pm On Jun 10, 2020
Davash222:
OP, I wonder why you were persuading and forcing your dad to evict the man. The man dey follow you drag your girl
Oga landlord, travel and see.
House is an investment that fetches people income just like every other businesses so he deserves his pay.

5 Likes

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by Exmilitant(m): 1:43pm On Jun 10, 2020
All my tenants are loyal and cordinated 'cause they know their landlord is above the law. (an outlaw).

8 Likes

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by manuel4real(m): 1:44pm On Jun 10, 2020
eni4real:
Prince Hakeem grin grin
grin grin
Guy eh that man just too funny, every time he's always telling people he's a prince, that he's subject can't talk to him like that. I just can't stop laughing whenever he spews such trash .. you're a prince and so what grin grin cheesy
Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by Nobody: 1:46pm On Jun 10, 2020
okine4real:
i have about 8 tenants in one of mine house, they have refused to pay mine rent for about three years now. the rent is 70k per annum, room and parlor self contain. the worst is, this guys are giving birth in mine house. To even go to mine house self they tire me... Because of how tenants behave in ikorodu, i decided not to build there anymore. Most of the tenants always behaving has if they have not eating for years, when i ask for rent na story, but they are lucky because i live very far from the said house so i cant really deal with them.... i also have another structure there, someone is leaving there free of charge.... the person only helps in cleaning the compound, mine friend put them there so as to secure the compound. so because of the ikorodu experience, i decided to build another structure close to where i leave, i leave somewhere around Jibowu Lagos.. after building the house, i rented it for 450k per annum and 50k service charge...total is 500k. i made the rent so high so that, all those people when never chop would not near mine house. i tried as much as i can to make the house very beautiful. If there is know light for even a year, the house has a generator that would be used to pump water, i made it clear, i dont want to see aboki selling water to the tenants, any security light that gets burnt will be replaced by me, if the pumping machine gets spoil, it would be fixed by me,payment for lawma is included in the service charge also with payment for the woman sweeping the compound, that was the reason i charged them service charge. Every tenants minds there business, even one of mine tenants changed his car after moving in. the main reason most landlords have problem wit tenants is because most of the tenants done too tey for the house so they become Gods... after like 7 years, i will increase the rent to like 600k or more, depending on what is obtainable. And i will not want to give mine room and parlor self contain to married people.. Even if you want to get married, they would either park out or give birth to lesser children may be two kids or maximum 3 kids. the fact is tenants that have these kind of mind set is different from those once when know get money yet born like 5 children still bring him relation come the house. so strategically i placed come factors before renting mine house house. bad tenants more worst than bad wife. Also dont make your rent cheap, when your rent is 200k for two bed room flat in a place like Jibowu... even when the occupants are not working, they will be able to pay the rent because with two direct from baba IJEBU THEY WILL HAVE THE MONEY TO PAY YOUR RENT, mean while, two bed room flat new house is 800k in Jibowu. But the bad part is such kind of tenants cannot do repairs in your house, if there are major damage, the damage would be left undone, and once left undone, the damage would keep expanding.... Also landlord should try and get prepaid meters for tenants, its expensive but when installed in a house, it reduces rift between landlord and tenant.

cheera

You are concerned about the welfare of your tenant.. I must commend you for that!!

But I don't think it is fair to increase the rent from 450 to 700K by your projection...

3 Likes

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by wildikeman(m): 1:46pm On Jun 10, 2020
Wow.. Three bedroom for 300k.. Where's that place pls?
Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by Nobody: 1:47pm On Jun 10, 2020
stalingraddd:
To be be land lord for Nigeria na big problem, where do I start abi na the ones when dey owe one year plus house rent, the ones wen they use madness disguised as prayer dey terrorise other tenants, the ones when hate to pay light bill, the ones wen they mismanage the property etc in summary you need to be very formal and strict when dealing with Nigerian tenants or they will mop the floor with you.
You should create a meme thread about tenants grin

2 Likes

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by odunH(m): 1:47pm On Jun 10, 2020
Honestly being a landlord/landlady isn’t easy here except you involve a lawyer. Is it a tenant that is owing 3years rent with ego that I want to say or the one that wants to leave and be breaking tiles on the ground that was cemented before he packed in. �

3 Likes

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by okine4real: 1:47pm On Jun 10, 2020
tonididdy:
the house I inherited from my late father... there's this tenant in the house, I have given them more than 7 quit notice with court orders but they refused to leave.
the tenant told me to my face, " I dey this house before them born you"... so I just let them be, when them get rent, them call me... I go go take otherwise I dash them the rooms before

well out of the blue, they called me and said they had moved out of the house.

I went to see for myself and truly they had packed out. the room condition was an eye sore. they trained chickens right in their living room. some people Sha...

i said it before, once the tenant done tey, they become Gods... 10 years is the max you allow a tenant stay in your house. once the tenants are getting old, the tenants becomes weak in hustling so paying rent becomes hard... i understand this things very well. Charge the tenats service charge... use there money to maintain the house. increase your rent, make it ver high so chickens, ducks, dogs would not be able to rent your house. whe your rent is very high na only Eagle, lion, better people na them go come, and they will even take care of your house.. well i know you will thank me later sha

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by Nobody: 1:49pm On Jun 10, 2020
manuel4real:
grin grin
Guy eh that man just too funny, every time he's always telling people he's a prince, that he's subject can't talk to him like that. I just can't stop laughing whenever he spews such trash .. you're a prince and so what grin grin cheesy
Oh my God..
What a clown he is grin grin grin
Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by odunH(m): 1:50pm On Jun 10, 2020
bnovative:

I'm not in support of the tenant who couldn't pay his rent but get this straight : what you and your dad did was illegal and I'm sure the lawyer knew the truth but refused to inform you.
Was there any tenancy agreement?
You don't give 2 months eviction notice to a tenant who pays his rent yearly.
It's not the place of police to evict anyone from a property!
Thank your star the tenant was ignorant of so many things. Una for buy big market.
You mean you change my doors without my presence?
Better seek knowledge before taking certain actions. You may not just be lucky again.
Why create a problem when you the rules. Frustrating people for their pay because of a law isn’t a crime. Peace and wisdom should be involved in all we do. Landlord and tenant no Dey be friend, Na sense person Dey use.

4 Likes

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by tonididdy(m): 1:51pm On Jun 10, 2020
okine4real:

i said it before, once the tenant done tey, they become Gods... 10 years is the max you allow a tenant stay in your house. once the tenants are getting old, the tenants becomes weak in hustling so paying rent becomes hard... i understand this things very well. Charge the tenats service charge... use there money to maintain the house. increase your rent, make it ver high so chickens, ducks, dogs would not be able to rent your house. whe your rent is very high na only Eagle, lion, better people na them go come, and they will even take care of your house.. well i know you will thank me later sha

lol to charge high rent... you must love-vendor the crib bro
sometimes the environment attracts like minds.
but also you have a point anyway

2 Likes

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by odunH(m): 1:56pm On Jun 10, 2020
AreaFada2:
All those rogue tenants, na thunder go fire their nyansh. In fact Na poverty go dey romance dem. Eternally.

They come with sweet mouth forming religious and nice. Only to begin giving excuses when contract renewal is due.

Some sign an undertaking with a lawyer to pay the money they owe when moving out. But they never pay.

When you want to deal with them legally people will say you are oppressing the poor.

Why can't he just forget about the money they will question.
Exactly oppressing the poor��The thing dey pain ehn and d thing is some claim right and gives headaches. 3 years no payment and still giving agent wahala, come today come tomorrow. He is even tired of coming. Court straight! Someone will be pitying but they don’t pity facts that house too needs repair, water needs to ensured and other things. Always making religious people look bad. Mind u, it’s not all tenant !

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by LadySarah: 1:57pm On Jun 10, 2020
Our tenant an aged couple occupying the BQ converted TheWC toilets to pit style, the type you squat down. I noticed it while I was making rounds.
This man denied claiming it was how it was when they packed in. We called the contractor they said it wasn't them. It took going back and forth before the occupants in the main building confronted the man that there were around the day it was being done.

Last last he begged that it was more convenient for his sick wife than the original one.
We were amazed. Worst was that it now looks so unattractive.

Berween sitting and squatting, which is more convenient? I still wonder. We have told them that they will change it while packing out.

8 Likes

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by okine4real: 1:58pm On Jun 10, 2020
eni4real:
You are concerned about the welfare of your tenant.. I must commend you for that!!

But I don't think it is fair to increase the rent from 450 to 700K by your projection...

brother see, the rule is, the more they stay, the more they become a problem... when the time comes... i will do everything in mine power to make them leave willingly. i dont want anybody to suffer in mine house ohh, if you pay your rent, once there is issues, i attend to it. the have had issues with there pumping machine this year, i bought a new one, in less than 24 hours the water issue was corrected, the most of the tenants where not even aware of the water issue.. mine only problem with them would be, when the time to pay the rent.. i even made it simple, i told them pay me every 6 months not yearly so it would not be hard for them.

i just paid about 270k for the purchase of prepaid meters... the tenants are complaining that nepa bills given to them is high... a trying to solve hat one now. na only ikorodu be mine problem......

5 Likes

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by Lisa001: 2:00pm On Jun 10, 2020
There's this foreigner guy that rented a three bedroom flat he came from Sierra Leone I guess, I guess he believed Nigeria is one kind of place where he can make sharp sharp money,he settled down with few properties claiming he's a musician and his songs sounds like all this loving romantic Indian songs... Told him if he wants to blow he should be ready to sing meaningless songs with good beats or else he is on his own....
He started looking for girlfriend I guess konji no let am rest he later settled for one ashawo girl he saw na so that one pack all her load come....3 months later the guy got broke sold some of his properties and went back to sierra Leone lied to the girl that he's still coming back.
This girl still dey use house dey go she'd bring her friends they will smoke shout and do all sorts if nonsense
What made me angry was when she started bringing men to the house to sleep same with her friends and she will start moaning loud disturbing the whole neighbors. I go just dey finger myself for bed say which kind wahala be this

When my mum came back from Europe she show the girl shege.... she moved out that same week

10 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by Enorde23: 2:03pm On Jun 10, 2020
see below

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Azuri Peninsula In Eko Atlantic Begins Construction! / Re: Pictorial Representation Of A Kitchen Cabinet And Doors / Got A Busy Schedule?...the Solution Is Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.