Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,979 members, 7,817,888 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:04 PM

What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? - Properties (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? (28148 Views)

Quit Notice To A Tenant / Will A Tenant Pay During His 3 Or 6 Months Quit Notice? / My Uncle Is A Tenant In The City But Has An Empty Mansion In The Village (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by Amotekun777: 2:42pm On Jun 10, 2020
gowonmaharajah:
thunder fire every wicked landlord/lady.
our landlady made my mama shed hot tears,not because we owed her rent or something. she was just plainly wicked on her.that was the day I swore to build a big mansion for my mama
the landlady died 9 days after we moved outta her house.
let her goan chop her house in heaven

Guy, I fear you ooo, no be play. undecided
Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by simplesearch: 2:43pm On Jun 10, 2020
Dpsychologist:

I understand where you are coming from. We agree that there is financial issues.
But many tenants are stubborn. They sometimes want to use your simplicity as a advantage.
Some will tell u they will be paying bimonthly but still will be giving excuse.
I know of one who was complaining of rent money. It was just 30k per year but still went ahead and host wedding for his child.

There'll always be an exception to the rule, once you get 70% of your tenant on your side they'll help you tackle the remaining reciltrant 30, however if they all agree you are inconsiderate then you are done for. That's where you need to deal with your tenant on individual level once they start to show symptomps of negligence to paying their rent.

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by Dpsychologist: 2:44pm On Jun 10, 2020
AreaFada2:
All those rogue tenants, na thunder go fire their nyansh. In fact Na poverty go dey romance dem. Eternally.

They come with sweet mouth forming religious and nice. Only to begin giving excuses when contract renewal is due.

Some sign an undertaking with a lawyer to pay the money they owe when moving out. But they never pay.

When you want to deal with them legally people will say you are oppressing the poor.

Why can't he just forget about the money they will question.
Alot of tenants are very Stubborn.
They only pay their first rent promptly after that.. The drama starts

4 Likes

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by Dpsychologist: 2:44pm On Jun 10, 2020
Exmilitant:
All my tenants are loyal and cordinated 'cause they know their landlord is above the law. (an outlaw).
Lol
Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by Nobody: 2:46pm On Jun 10, 2020
There are red flags on how to identify a bad tenant when he is yet to pay his rent and pack in.

The flag was in your write up.

I rather keep a room empty than take in a bad tenant ever again.

3 Likes

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by Dpsychologist: 2:46pm On Jun 10, 2020
wildikeman:
Wow.. Three bedroom for 300k.. Where's that place pls?
Kaduna.
The rent is ok abi?
Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by Dpsychologist: 2:49pm On Jun 10, 2020
odunH:
Honestly being a landlord/landlady isn’t easy here except you involve a lawyer. Is it a tenant that is owing 3years rent with ego that I want to say or the one that wants to leave and be breaking tiles on the ground that was cemented before he packed in. �
Very true.
I knw of a tenant that broke the tiles before he left. Is it doing it as a form of anger or what? ,that i don't know
Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by Dpsychologist: 2:51pm On Jun 10, 2020
okine4real:

i said it before, once the tenant done tey, they become Gods... 10 years is the max you allow a tenant stay in your house. once the tenants are getting old, the tenants becomes weak in hustling so paying rent becomes hard... i understand this things very well. Charge the tenats service charge... use there money to maintain the house. increase your rent, make it ver high so chickens, ducks, dogs would not be able to rent your house. whe your rent is very high na only Eagle, lion, better people na them go come, and they will even take care of your house.. well i know you will thank me later sha
Your input is well appreciated.
I like your idea
Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by tonididdy(m): 2:52pm On Jun 10, 2020
Dpsychologist:

So you mean they ran out without paying rents

they didn't owe me before they left...even if they did, a month or two.
am just glad they left... the place wasnt inhabitable anymore. I needed to do loads of repair works.
Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by mastermaestro(m): 2:53pm On Jun 10, 2020
Oyerinde16:
I'm a tenant, I was deceived to rent a house for 220k... I was told its borehole running water, prepaid meter etc...

Its a decking house, the up hasn't being build but the house is good. When I went for inspection I was shown the borehole switch, and told the land lord will install the meter as soon as I entered the house...

On packing into the house, I discovered there was no borehole, it was a well pump switch that was shown to me...

To crown it, 6month into my rent, no prepaid meter, its still estimated billing... Raining season has started and the decking is a leaking basket... Water pours uncontrollably during rain...

I want my rent expire, then I will use 6 month without paying as compensation before packing out before the next raining season... Am I partial.

Move before the decking collapses on you, I strongly advise.

2 Likes

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by RealEzee(m): 2:53pm On Jun 10, 2020
bnovative:

I'm not in support of the tenant who couldn't pay his rent but get this straight : what you and your dad did was illegal and I'm sure the lawyer knew the truth but refused to inform you.
Was there any tenancy agreement?
You don't give 2 months eviction notice to a tenant who pays his rent yearly.
It's not the place of police to evict anyone from a property!
Thank your star the tenant was ignorant of so many things. Una for buy big market.
You mean you change my doors without my presence?
Better seek knowledge before taking certain actions. You may not just be lucky again.
increase the volume ooo, they don't know, they never jam tenant way Sabi the scope, that same court you carry the tenant go Taya you kwa.

One landlady tried that and even worse issued quit notice barely 4 months in, cos we didn't accept to pay the outstanding nepa bill of the previous tenant, like wetin concern us ni, fresh tenant kwa, she did not even fix the master's bedroom and the kitchen, busy making life unbearable and thought taking us to court dem go come throway us sharp sharp , madam changed lawyers 4 good times no jokes, court slammed her a shocker and left us staying two good years without paying rent and that electric bill, madam paid that ish as part of damage for us spending legal fees carrying us unjustly to court.
Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by ibawon(m): 2:55pm On Jun 10, 2020
For one room since April their 6 months grace period just expired, till now no show, but I don turn their matter to charity immediately they call off lock down I'll give grace of 2 months then start kolomental.

2 Likes

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by Dpsychologist: 2:57pm On Jun 10, 2020
Lisa001:
There's this foreigner guy that rented a three bedroom flat he came from Sierra Leone I guess, I guess he believed Nigeria is one kind of place where he can make sharp sharp money,he settled down with few properties claiming he's a musician and his songs sounds like all this loving romantic Indian songs... Told him if he wants to blow he should be ready to sing meaningless songs with good beats or else he is on his own....
He started looking for girlfriend I guess konji no let am rest he later settled for one ashawo girl he saw na so that one pack all her load come....3 months later the guy got broke sold some of his properties and went back to sierra Leone lied to the girl that he's still coming back.
This girl still dey use house dey go she'd bring her friends they will smoke shout and do all sorts if nonsense
What made me angry was when she started bringing men to the house to sleep same with her friends and she will start moaning loud disturbing the whole neighbors. I go just dey finger myself for bed say which kind wahala be this

When my mum came back from Europe she show the girl shege.... she moved out that same week
Hahaha
The bold got me laughing. Did u jst say u finger urslf on bed because of the moaning.

2 Likes

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by Dpsychologist: 2:58pm On Jun 10, 2020
nurusystem:
my landlady daughter dont like seeing me with my girls always fight my babes ,,,
May b she is crushing on u

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by okine4real: 3:00pm On Jun 10, 2020
NoToPile:
If I talk ehn book go full.

Mumsies tenants and their wahala.

The one that was reminded about his rent being due that said it skipped his mind grin grin grin

The ones that will never pay NEPA bills, you were owing about 24k and then prepaid came, ekedc diverted all the debt to the prepaid you now said you won't pay it ,you now expected the new tenant that came in that you are sharing the prepaid with that is not owing kobo to pay the debt on the prepaid, who does that.

The ones that always pay rent in arrears, you would have used 6months before paying 6 months rent again and then you use the next 6 months to be asking for rent (we felt maybe yearly rent is too much out be paying 6monthd now wahala again).

One is presently owing 7 months areas now, the money she dropped early this year will elapse november last year.

The one that was owing NEPA bills of 17k and couldn't pay 120k rent for self con, oya pack out now, we wipe off the 120k just pay the 17k NEPA bill as that one is not our own money its nepas money and it will reflect when prepaid comes. Shishi he didn't drop, we had to pay that debt when they installed the prepaid abi shey its new tenant that will pay debt on prepaid?

I must confess since we got the prepaid meters wahala has been reduced,although there's a stubborn one that is refusing to pay her own share as she is sharing a prepaid with another person, how will you expect someone to be buying units for you. How these people sleep at night baffles me.

I don't blame harsh landlords, in all honesty I don't. Those ones ehn you dare not try rubbish with them.

I also find it annoying when people think you are wicked when you ask them for rent.

The mistake you guys made. Never ever share prepaid meter with any tenants.If your house have 10 rooms, give each room its own prepaid meter, don't merge two rooms to use one prepaid meter. If you really want to solve problems of NEPA, give each tenants his/her own prepaid meter. Mine house has 6 flats, I booked for 7 prepaid meters. The borehole is having its own prepaid meter. The service charge would take care of the units to be bought for the pumping machine.

8 Likes

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by Dpsychologist: 3:00pm On Jun 10, 2020
stalingraddd:
To be be land lord for Nigeria na big problem, where do I start abi na the ones when dey owe one year plus house rent, the ones wen they use madness disguised as prayer dey terrorise other tenants, the ones when hate to pay light bill, the ones wen they mismanage the property etc in summary you need to be very formal and strict when dealing with Nigerian tenants or they will mop the floor with you.
When you come as a friend they won't take you Seriously

2 Likes

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by Dpsychologist: 3:03pm On Jun 10, 2020
LabDNA:
One of my tenants thinks he can manipulate me my sending her to me food whenever I enter the city.

I have my own apartment in my building in another city while I travel frequently to other states to check up my businesses.

Whenever I come around, she'll send her daughter who always wear skimpy dress to come bring me food. I just give them bread but decline their own food.

The husband lives in Dubai but the woman sleeps around and even pimps her daughter sometimes.

Enter any relationship with that one, your name na sorry, she go turn landlady overnight.

Yea. Mixing business with pleasure is Terrible idea.
Once you sleep with a tenant, she sees it as a right not to pay rent.

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by Dpsychologist: 3:05pm On Jun 10, 2020
Jimoh7555:
This stubborn woman tenant started selling herbal medicine (Agbo) which graduated into cigarette which I cautioned her but told me that's where she will make the money to feed her daughters and pay rent. She was evicted afterwards but she rented a shop beside our compound from a very foolish landlord and now she has become dealer in weed, attract cult guys and battling it out with the whole community now. She repeated the same statement to the CDA.
Some tenants are outlaws
Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by Dpsychologist: 3:07pm On Jun 10, 2020
Kingscee:
Abeg keep quiet, landlord and tenant my left side ball, I hope you're not writing from the Lagos state? The zone of the most wicked landlords in the world, they don't care weda you're dying or living, all they cares is the money or go to hell
I agree there are wicked landlords but as i said in the beginning of the thread there are also Terrible tenants
Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by Dpsychologist: 3:14pm On Jun 10, 2020
annyz:

The story get K leg OP.
1: How did u change the door lock Was the door opened and d man around or he stepped out forgetting to lock the door
A locked door must be Brocken before u get access to change the lock.
2: How was he still living inside even when u have changed the lock with ur dad Did he has a spare key or got the door lock Brocken by him without u knowing that enabled him access the room again?
Please clarify on the above or are they mysteries
1. We had a spare key so we changed the lock.
2. He got d door broken.

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by Princeoflimpopo(m): 3:14pm On Jun 10, 2020
Mine doesn't talk to me anymore, more like nose greeting, just because I served one of them quit notice for being a menace.

3 Likes

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by Nobody: 3:29pm On Jun 10, 2020
Dpsychologist:
What is Your Worst Experience with a Tenant?

As there are terrible experiences with landlords there are also terrible experiences with tenants. Today i will like to share a worst experience with a tenant.

My dad happens to be a landlord so we have met alot of tenants.

There was a stubborn tenant that rented a 3 bedroom flat worth 300k. He told my dad he will pay 250k now when he has the remaining he will pay. That's when the notoreity started. The tenant refused to pay the 50k, despite my dad's constant reminder.

When his rent expires he said he will soon pay that he needs more time, that he wants to pay everything at once. The next time my dad ask him, he said he is in financial crises all this was while i was in school. When i came back for end of semester break i still heard that the man hasn't paid his rent. I began pressuring my dad to collect this rent, the tenant has spent over 5months without paying a dime. My dad said the man lost his uncle and went for burial recently. Thats when i realize he has been given excuse to my dad for a very long time.

After sometimes i told my dad not to allow the man stay one more month without paying. My dad threaten to bring the police and take him to court. The man blocked my dad number, then my dad called him with another number when he picked and discover it was my dad he claim he didnt see my dad's initial call that he was sick. The man then switched off his phone.

We decided to go to meet the man together with a lawyer but he was not around. I placed a 2month notice and that he must pay for the months he has stayed in the house. After a week the man called with a new number pleading that he should not be evicted. He asked for my dad's account number so that he will pay. The man send 50k only. My dad told him he just completed his last year rent and will have to pay for the current year. The man refused. After the two months my dad changed the door lock thereby preventing him from getting inside even though his stuffs are inside.

After a month, a woman from the Neighborhood told my dad that the man we evicted is still living in the house. He usually comes in late at around 11-12pm and goes out around 7am. The next day we arrived there few minutes past 6 but the man has already gone. We discover that he changed the lock to the house. We end up confiscating all his properties and emptied his room. Till today he is yet to be found.

I have others stories about other tenants but i will love to hear your story. Over to you.

What is your worst experience with a tenant?

This is a funny story�����
Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by Chris2863(m): 3:38pm On Jun 10, 2020
Dpsychologist:

You remind me of another Stubborn tenant. He refused to pay Nepa bill and anytime Nepa cut their wire, he will send his children to go and buy wire and they will join the light again. Their bill became 200k, despite we telling them to pay they refuse, saying no money.
Lolz
Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by Dpsychologist: 3:42pm On Jun 10, 2020
seborrhic:

You ended up confiscating someone's property without a legal notice.
Pray you don't end up turning to the one that is doing the begging later.
We must always learn to do things the lawful way.
It may not be lawful. But not paying house rent is also not lawful.
The confiscating of the property is to make him pay back his money and his properties returned

P. S.
The tenant has emptied alot of things from the room such as TV, fridge, personal stuffs etc
What was confiscated was his bed, certains, utensils etc

3 Likes

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by Chris2863(m): 3:42pm On Jun 10, 2020
feldido:
It's over 6 months into the rent and nothing to complain about for now except that the wife always burns her food, which is a cause of worry
Lol, nah your wife?
Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by Dpsychologist: 3:44pm On Jun 10, 2020
Chris2863:

Lolz
Lol. They don't have money to pay bill but they can buy wire upto 5 times and still call someone to join the light for them.
Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by iqiq: 3:44pm On Jun 10, 2020
nasoeb:
Am currently skeptical in giving out one of mine because of issues like these. If you give to someone you know, some may/will turn around to take advantage of you, and if you give to thore you know nothing about, what then becomes of you.
then find a law fame that does real estate management to manage the property. That is what lots of land lord does these days to avoid stories

2 Likes

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by NACE13: 3:44pm On Jun 10, 2020
I wish most landlords are like mine. The man will crack jokes with you, tease, you, buy you boiled corn with coconut on his way back from his place of business or worship, but once it is 2weeks to your rent expiration, he'll come knocking as a per reminder.
He gives only the required months of grace issued by the state government on tenancy rent, and after the grace expires, you cannot spend more than two days if you still haven't paid.

The man doesn't joke with his money and tells any body planning to rent up front about who he is and how he deals with tenancy payment issues.

This man has 3 houses and no tenant owes him a dime. I too like that man when it comes to how he handles problematic tenants

5 Likes

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by feldido(m): 3:48pm On Jun 10, 2020
Chris2863:

Lol, nah your wife?

Shey you want make she burn my house?
Which landlord no go worry?

4 Likes

Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by Lisa001: 3:49pm On Jun 10, 2020
Dpsychologist:

Hahaha
The bold got me laughing. Did u jst say u finger urslf on bed because of the moaning.

I swear I don cum tire bedsheet sef don hear am grin
Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by Dpsychologist: 3:49pm On Jun 10, 2020
drlaykay:
One tenant, after his rent expired and I asked him for rent, he would promise the month end, once it's month end he would say he has not been paid. After asking him till on the 7th, he woild promise 15th.
Once it's 15th he would promise weekend. Once it's weekend, he would promise month end again. And the cycle continues. He did that for about 7 months. The wife was a very nice woman who would always come and beg on his behalf.
I got so tired and angry that I threatened him, that if he refused to pay at a specified date, I would seal up his apartment.
I was still in 2nd year in the university, and that was basically what I needed to run a few things in school.
The day I threatened him, minutes later, police came to arrest me. He said I was trying to seal up his appartment and I threatened to call area Boys to beat him.
We got to the station, I narrated the whole story, the police men blamed him heavily but one idiot was supporting him saying I was lazy and I could have gotten my school fees from hustling while in school rather than hoping on a rent.
I insulted him instantly, he hit me from behind and it almost resulted in a chaos inside the station. The others were in my support and begging me.
At last, he signed an undertaking that he would pay in 2 months time. I didn't argue. I waited till then.
After 2 months he was yet to pay, he came with some men to beg me since he had defaulted. He came with a wine, I collected it and smiled with him.
I took the wine as a gift to the IPO that I want him punished. He finally paid after a week of being threatened. I handed him a quit notice the day he made payment.
I continually reminded him that I will not have mercy on him if he stayed an extra day and it will be my delight to have his loads thrown out. The guy no finish him money before e go.
Tenants are something else.
You need to thread with caution or they can use your words against you
Re: What Is Your Worst Experience With A Tenant? by seunfly: 3:53pm On Jun 10, 2020
Chris2863:

Lol, nah your wife?

That is cause of concern for any reasonable landlord, otherwise ur house would be burnt down one day.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Azuri Peninsula In Eko Atlantic Begins Construction! / Re: Pictorial Representation Of A Kitchen Cabinet And Doors / Got A Busy Schedule?...the Solution Is Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.