Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,228 members, 7,818,773 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:26 AM

Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice - Food (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice (54549 Views)

The Best Method Of Cooking Nigerian Egusi Soup / A Rookie Guide To Cooking Premium Nigerian Stew (pictures) / Gambia Beat Nigeria , Ghana And Senegal In Jollof Rice Competition (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by makydebbie(f): 8:49pm On Jun 16, 2020
pocohantas:

It is all for you baby. kiss kiss

Thank you Mami. kiss kiss
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by Lamanii22(f): 8:49pm On Jun 16, 2020
Party jollof rice in large quantity shouldn't be parboiled.... You'd regret it... Just cook it directly....

3 Likes

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by Mariangeles(f): 8:50pm On Jun 16, 2020

1 Like

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by dominique(f): 8:52pm On Jun 16, 2020
ElvisPresley:

You need to try it out dear... The President butter brand is the best I can recommend...I think it's sold for 1500.

Saltless butter in jollof? First time I'll be hearing of such. I hardly use butter for jollof, but the few times I have, it's blueband or simmas margerine

1 Like 5 Shares

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by pocohantas(f): 8:53pm On Jun 16, 2020
Mariangeles:

Comot for there!
Who go trust your poor judgment on best brands? You wey like Dangote spag? Abegi! grin
No let me wash your pant for public o. You know say you cook jollof for us...behave

Durrhhhhh!
Talk to the fingers!!! grin
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by ElvisPresley(m): 8:53pm On Jun 16, 2020
dominique:

Saltless butter in jollof? First time I'll be hearing of such. I hardly use butter for jollof, but the few times I have, it's blueband or simmas margerine

Different strokes for different folks...

1 Like

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by pocohantas(f): 8:55pm On Jun 16, 2020
ElvisPresley:

For real... You know most of these women are old-time caterers and they have tried both the firewood and gas cooker options....So for them to stick to the gas cooker option means there's more to party jollof rice than Firewood....

Don't worry,i'll take you there someday come have yourself a Jollof orgy...Lol

Ah, most of those caterers know wassup now o. Na before them dey suffer.

I will be waiting for the jollof orgy.

3 Likes

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by Lamanii22(f): 8:55pm On Jun 16, 2020
Mutaultope:
Jollof rice don't make the cut in parties nowadays

Amala dudu + ewedu
pounded yam + efo riro
with atleast two pieces of meat

party don set

The reason is because jollof rice at party tend to be warm not hot which therefore leads to waste
.. I told my mom that the jollof rice on my wedding day should be cooked at the venue... It has to be straight from fire... Guests would eat it more....

2 Likes

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by ayandee: 8:56pm On Jun 16, 2020
tenderheart:
I am wondering..U dont need to parboil the rice after several washing with water.

Olopo no get dat time and their food still comes out nice. embarassed
exactly. Olopo that wants to cook 2 bags of rice will never parboil it. Like the op said, the secret likes in the stock, the pepper combination and frying of the stew.
One more thing. The fried stew should be "near salty" from the combination of seasoning cubes(i prefer knorr chicken) and salt.

Your jollof rice will burn. That's normal.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by AdaoraNK(f): 8:57pm On Jun 16, 2020
cococandy:
I like how you state ‘normal’ people. Because some of us can eat for Africa cheesy

Exactly where I wanted to point out about 'normal human'. Some people eating habits are very annoying. Don't pray to have suchlike as relations.
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by ElvisPresley(m): 8:58pm On Jun 16, 2020
pocohantas:

Ah, most of those caterers know wassup now o. Na before them dey suffer.
I will be waiting for the jollof orgy.
No problem Madam...
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by shumuel(m): 9:03pm On Jun 16, 2020
dominique:
The onion+tomato paste+grounded tomato frying is the key to getting that party jollof taste. If you don't get the right consistency, no amount of beef or chicken stock can rescue the jollof rice.

Wait so it's Gravy she was calling Stock, i have been wondering what she meant by stock, anyways Pocohantas, correct yourself

Wetin concern me, i add everything, and allow it to get dry & burnt, Jollyoff rice is set, i dont have time for Badmas or Tahci rice,, but i've learnt something new sha grin
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by Romangalactic(m): 9:04pm On Jun 16, 2020
pocohantas:

I didn’t parboil AFTER washing severally with water. I parboiled because the rice is starchy and I didn’t get what I wanted when I didn’t parboil. It boils down to type of rice too.
You must argue sha. grin
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by pocohantas(f): 9:04pm On Jun 16, 2020
Bifakacproducts:

Can you at your convenience time share a recipe of that food on your profile?. I think it's called kenke or Keke, not sure if I got that right. But it's a Togo/Yoruba dish I guess

It is a Ghanaian dish and you got the name right. I can’t make it o, but I like it.
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by kings59: 9:06pm On Jun 16, 2020
sisisioge:
[/b]

I had no idea foil or nylon is used at all to keep them evenly cook abi...Lesson learnt! Oya jollof rice come this Sunday grin grin

Don't forget to lower the heat ooooo.

You lower the heat, it cooks better. If you high the heat, it burns without being tendered.

Reducing the heat would save you gas from finishing intime.
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by PattyMike(m): 9:07pm On Jun 16, 2020
Pls how do I per boil rice? And what's the difference between perboiled rice and straight forward boiling. I always do the latter.
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by pocohantas(f): 9:08pm On Jun 16, 2020
shumuel:

Wait so it's Gravy she was calling Stock, i have been wondering what she meant by stock, anyways Pocohantas, correct yourself

Wetin concern me, i add everything, and allow it to get dry & burnt, Jollyoff rice is set, i dont have time for Badmas or Tahci rice,, but i've learnt something new sha grin

Why? grin grin

I don’t know what your gravy is, but stock is absolutely correct.

1 Like

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by Oladele99(m): 9:11pm On Jun 16, 2020
UyaiIncomparabl:
I can bet my left breast that this will get to the front page. Someone should rape my comment, please. Thank you. cheesy
Lol, wetin Musa no go see for NL grin

1 Like

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by cococandy(f): 9:11pm On Jun 16, 2020
Gravy is not stock though
shumuel:

5 Likes

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by pocohantas(f): 9:12pm On Jun 16, 2020
PattyMike:
Pls how do I per boil rice? And what's the difference between perboiled rice and straight forward boiling. I always do the latter.

You parboil rice by putting in cold water (without washing), cook for few minutes and wash. If you have been doing otherwise without issues, then I think you have no problem. I have three rice brands and they all have different methods for cooking.

1 Like

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by pocohantas(f): 9:13pm On Jun 16, 2020
cococandy:
Gravy is not stock though

What is gravy?
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by abike12(f): 9:18pm On Jun 16, 2020
ibkayee:

You don’t know what you’re missing tongue

Please share your recipe. I'd love to try. My first time cooking plain basmati rice I used normal water and the rice disgraced me lol

1 Like

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by 3stacks: 9:19pm On Jun 16, 2020
For someone that takes this subject to heart. It all comes down to layering flavors from start to end. The last piece of the process is imparting wood smoke flavor into the food. It’s the same reason we love Suya, fish or anything exposed to smoke from firewood.
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by ibkayee(f): 9:21pm On Jun 16, 2020
abike12:

Please share your recipe. I'd love to try. My first time cooking plain basmati rice I used normal water and the rice disgraced me lol
I use normal water too, I find that it can be hit or miss depending on the type of basmati rice though
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by pocohantas(f): 9:21pm On Jun 16, 2020
abike12:

What is abnormal water?

ibkayee:

I use normal water too, I find that it can be hit or miss depending on the type of basmati rice though

Lol. I was just asking her the different types of water o.

1 Like

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by abike12(f): 9:25pm On Jun 16, 2020
pocohantas:

What is abnormal water?

The amount of water I would typically use for long grain rice. Also tried it in the rice cooker and it didn't come out well. I quickly abandoned it and went back to my long grain rice jeje

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by cococandy(f): 9:25pm On Jun 16, 2020
pocohantas:

What is gravy?

Gravy is a thickened sauce used for serving meat especially turkey and beef steak. And the base is often made from the meat stock and then other seasonings and thickeners are added. They pour it on the meat when it’s ready to eat.

I’ve never had gravy from anywhere before and liked it unless I made it myself. Some people make it too thick like pap. Who wants to eat meat coated in seasoned custard? grin

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by kings59: 9:27pm On Jun 16, 2020
naptu2:

The taste had everything to do with firewood. Have you eaten jollof rice cooked with firewood?

***Cooked with firewood**

Is that grammar correct?
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by pocohantas(f): 9:28pm On Jun 16, 2020
cococandy:

Gravy is a thickened sauce used for serving meat especially turkey and beef steak. And the base is often made from the meat stock and then other seasonings and thickeners are added. They pour it on the meat when it’s ready to eat.

I’ve never had gravy from anywhere before and liked it unless I made it myself. Some people make it too thick like pap. Who wants to eat meat coated in seasoned custard? grin

Ohhh. He got it twisted then. Gravy is gravy, stock is stock. Gravy seems like a curry sauce without the vegetables. grin

It doesn’t look fine na. Why would I even wanna eat meat with stock. The meat came out of the stock, right? embarassed

1 Like

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by officialfestus(m): 9:30pm On Jun 16, 2020
i pray i marry a lady that knows how to cook like u or my mum

1 Like

Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by pocohantas(f): 9:31pm On Jun 16, 2020
abike12:

The amount of water I would typically use for long grain rice. Also tried it in the rice cooker and it didn't come out well. I quickly abandoned it and went back to my long grain rice jeje

I made that mistake too. Thankfully I knew something might go wrong, so I was on guard. Quickly salvaged the situation by sieving the excess water out. What brand of “normal” long grain rice do you use?

I have three brands of rice currently, all in my search for a “beautiful good rice”.
Re: Secret To Cooking Nigerian Party Jollof Rice by Macpro: 9:31pm On Jun 16, 2020
The only thing I saw in this tutorial was op's fresh hand. Op must be very fine grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Millet In Nigeria: / Pharmacist Angry As The ₦2,500 Food He Ordered Was Packaged With Ponmo & Egg / Signs To Know You've Entered An Overpriced Restaurant. SHINE YA EYES! (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.