Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,755 members, 7,809,898 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:51 PM

Eton College Apologises To Dilibe Onyeama For Racism. - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Eton College Apologises To Dilibe Onyeama For Racism. (43461 Views)

Mmesoma Ejikeme Apologises To JAMB / Mmesoma's Father, Romanus Ejikeme Apologises To Nigerians, JAMB / Chidera Dilibe Emerges COOU Best Graduating Student Of Pharmacy With 4.62 CGPA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Eton College Apologises To Dilibe Onyeama For Racism. by Throwback: 3:55pm On Jun 23, 2020
koning:

He dropped out. Never completed at Eton. Besides do you expect me to believe a Nigeria blog over Yahoo news?. You are quoting a Naija blog. My man get serious.

But he is still the 1st Black student enrolled or is Tokunbo Akintola not?

Did you also see the part that said Dilibe Onyeama failed the entrance exam even though he had been enrolled from birth owing to his father's connection. His failure at the entrance exam, while Tokunbo Akintola passed the very same exam is the reason why Tokunbo became the first black student to physically enroll in the school, while Dilibe Onyeama eventually passed the next year to be the 2nd Black student enrolled.

Or is BBC not a reputable source?

How come you have no response to my fact about Kofoworola Ademola (nee Moore), being the first Nigerian and First Black Woman to enroll and graduate from Oxford University in 1935 while Ojukwu graduated in 1955?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-53062502

22 Likes

Re: Eton College Apologises To Dilibe Onyeama For Racism. by Throwback: 4:09pm On Jun 23, 2020
sageb:
ojukwu? Ojukwu is not the first Nigerian to go to oxford university. Sir Egbert Udo Udoma was the first Nigerian to earn a Phd in law from Oxford university in 1945. Ojukwu was an adolescent then. Sir Udo Udoma is an Ibibio man from Akwa Ibom state.

The first Nigerian at Oxford university was Kofoworo Ademola (nee Moore).

She was also the first Black Woman to ever enroll and graduate at Oxford University.

Graduated in 1935.

Igboid:

As long as he isn't a Yoruba man.
I don't think Ndiigbo cares. grin

Do you now care that it is a Yoruba woman that graduated from Oxford in 1935 which is 20 years before Ojukwu graduated in 1955?

When Kofoworola Ademola graduated from Oxford in 1935, the barely 2yr old Ojukwu was still learning how to walk.

https://womenafrica.com/profiling-the-first-african-woman-to-earn-a-degree-from-oxford-university-in-the-1930s/?utm_source=&utm_medium=facebook

https://www.oxfordstudent.com/2019/03/27/from-lady-ademola-to-carla-peterman-a-history-of-bame-women-at-oxford/

25 Likes

Re: Eton College Apologises To Dilibe Onyeama For Racism. by Throwback: 4:29pm On Jun 23, 2020
koning:

He dropped out. Never completed at Eton. Besides do you expect me to believe a Nigeria blog over Yahoo news?. You are quoting a Naija blog. My man get serious.

I have edited this post you responded to since indeed Dilibe Onyeama was the one that concluded his studies there.

Besides you were trying to correct my factual submission that Tokunbo Akintola was the 1st Black student ever enrolled.

4 Likes

Re: Eton College Apologises To Dilibe Onyeama For Racism. by sageb: 4:33pm On Jun 23, 2020
OfoIgbo:

You must be quite unintelligent.

Don't you know that by eastern men, I mean men from the eastern region?

Did I write IGBO MEN, or did I write SE Men?
the defunct eastern region is no longer used in today's political terrain. face the reality, Akwa Ibom is in the south south Zone. You guys like unnecessary attachment.

12 Likes

Re: Eton College Apologises To Dilibe Onyeama For Racism. by MetaPhysical: 4:34pm On Jun 23, 2020
Throwback:

Not so fast clansman.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-53062502

The first Black student at Eton college was Tokunbo Akintola in April 1964, son of SLA Akintola the then Premier of Western Nigeria.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQPm0iDhTUM

The First Black student at Oxford University was a Creole from Siera Leone, Christian Cole in 1873.

The first Nigerian to attend Oxford was the first Black woman to attend the School and graduate in 1935, Kofoworola Ademola (nee Moore), the daughter of Eric Olawolu Moore and later wife of Sir Adetokunbo Ademola, the first Nigerian Chief Justice of the Supreme court.

So how does an Ojukwu that graduated from Oxford in 1955, become the first Black/African at Oxford?

This must be IPOB Bureau of Statistics as usual.

I endorse this message.

17 Likes

Re: Eton College Apologises To Dilibe Onyeama For Racism. by Throwback: 4:39pm On Jun 23, 2020
Bialegend:
A grand son of a well known slave trader from a family of Biafra saboteurs for that matter, talking about black lives mater? grin grin

A very renowned slave trader just like Nwaubani Ogogo.

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/personal-history/my-great-grandfather-the-nigerian-slave-trader

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Eton College Apologises To Dilibe Onyeama For Racism. by slam7000(m): 4:41pm On Jun 23, 2020
Bialegend:
A grand son of a well known slave trader from a family of Biafra saboteurs for that matter, talking about black lives mater? grin grin

Are you sure about this? I heard lots of folk tales about Onyeama na Eke.

About Dilibe Onyeama, I’ve met this man at New Haven Enugu. I think he lived or is still living at Byron Onyeama close...he kept to himself, introverted. I knew he was smart but didn’t know he attended Eton.
Re: Eton College Apologises To Dilibe Onyeama For Racism. by sageb: 4:42pm On Jun 23, 2020
Throwback:

The first Nigerian at Oxford university was Kofoworo Ademola (nee Moore).

She was also the first Black Woman to ever enroll and graduate at Oxford University.

Graduated in 1935.

https://womenafrica.com/profiling-the-first-african-woman-to-earn-a-degree-from-oxford-university-in-the-1930s/?utm_source=&utm_medium=facebook

https://www.oxfordstudent.com/2019/03/27/from-lady-ademola-to-carla-peterman-a-history-of-bame-women-at-oxford/
wow! Then she attended oxford before Udo Udoma. However, Udo Udoma was the first Nigerian to have a Phd in law from Oxford university in 1945.

3 Likes

Re: Eton College Apologises To Dilibe Onyeama For Racism. by OfoIgbo: 4:42pm On Jun 23, 2020
sageb:
the defunct eastern region is no longer used in today's political terrain. face the reality, Akwa Ibom is in the south south Zone. You guys like unnecessary attachment.

You are obviously another SW almajiri. So easy to notice you coneheads.

The Udomas are fellow easterners like any other easterner. You can go and die.

Tinubu will never be president in 2023

20 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Eton College Apologises To Dilibe Onyeama For Racism. by Throwback: 4:43pm On Jun 23, 2020
sageb:
wow! Then she attended oxford before Udo Udoma. However, Udo Udoma was the first Nigerian to have a Phd in law from Oxford university in 1945.

Yes that is how it transpired.

4 Likes

Re: Eton College Apologises To Dilibe Onyeama For Racism. by MetaPhysical: 4:45pm On Jun 23, 2020
Throwback:

I have edited this post you responded to since indeed Dilibe Onyeama was the one that concluded his studies there.

Besides you were trying to correct my factual submission that Tokunbo Akintola was the 1st Black student ever enrolled.

Even at that, the first black student ever finished from Eton was the son of HaileSelassie in Ethiopia.

Unless we say Ethiopians are whites, then we can disqualify the Prince.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Old_Etonians_born_in_the_20th_century

5 Likes

Re: Eton College Apologises To Dilibe Onyeama For Racism. by Throwback: 4:48pm On Jun 23, 2020
MetaPhysical:

Even at that, the first black student ever finished from Eton was the son of HaileSelassie in Ethiopia.

Unless we say Ethiopians are whites, then we can disqualify the Prince.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Old_Etonians_born_in_the_20th_century

Onyema finished before that Ethiopian.

Tokunbo Akintola's schooling was disrupted by his father's assassination in the Jan 1966 coup.

That incident made his relationship with Dilibe Onyeama very acrimonious, since the killers of his father were Igbos like Dilibe.

He later left for another UK school or returned to Nigeria.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Eton College Apologises To Dilibe Onyeama For Racism. by ifiokjohn(m): 4:54pm On Jun 23, 2020
sageb:
sir udo udoma is an Ibibio man from Akwa Ibom. Is that too difficult for you to understand? Blackking98 , Ilaumoh , Hotice085 , ifiokjohn come and see.
ok
Re: Eton College Apologises To Dilibe Onyeama For Racism. by MetaPhysical: 4:55pm On Jun 23, 2020
sageb:

grin
You guys will start some shyyte competition and before you have done thorough investigation to make sure the ground you stand on is firm.

Then when the rug is yanked from underneath your feet you begin to find other things to break your fall.

So now that you admit Udo Udoma was not the first student you go pull something else out. Now if that is debunked you will return with some more shyyte.

Why cant you all just relax and stop embarassing your accomplished local citizens on the national or continental scale?

grin

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: Eton College Apologises To Dilibe Onyeama For Racism. by sageb: 4:55pm On Jun 23, 2020
koning:

Ibibio clan is an extention of the Arochukwu clan. They are migrants from Arochukwu. One does not have to originate from core Igbo states to be Igbo. The entire old Esatern region is Igboid.
stop this your ipob delusional chants. you say the entire eastern region was igboid? So you mean the Ijaws,Ogonis, Efiks,Ibibios,Annangs,etc are igboid. I wonder why you guys fail to realize that your igbo is not superior to any ethnic group in Niger Delta.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Eton College Apologises To Dilibe Onyeama For Racism. by Golan007: 5:01pm On Jun 23, 2020
Dilibe Onyeama - Gaylord.
Re: Eton College Apologises To Dilibe Onyeama For Racism. by sageb: 5:04pm On Jun 23, 2020
MetaPhysical:

grin
You guys will start some shyyte competition and before you have done thorough investigation to make sure the ground you stand on is firm.

Then when the rug is yanked from underneath your feet you begin to find other things to break your fall.

So now that you admit Udo Udoma was not the first student you go pull something else out. Now if that is debunked you will return with some more shyyte.

Why cant you all just relax and stop embarassing your accomplished local citizens on the national or continental scale?

grin
maybe you don't know me. Check my first post, someone said ojukwu is the first Nigerian to attend oxford University so i had to show him that someone have been there before Ojukwu. When the guy show me that a woman have attended oxford before Udo udoma. Did i argue? I am objective about the issue because I am from the Niger Delta and I am not interested in your tribal superiority fight between yoruba and igbo. Cheers

9 Likes

Re: Eton College Apologises To Dilibe Onyeama For Racism. by oyatz(m): 5:05pm On Jun 23, 2020
Beyond tribal issues, there's one thing I notice from this story and similar stories which I think we should be discussing;

Most Nigerians who studied in the best British or American Schools don't necessarily become the most successful Nigerians in their chosen career or in life generally.
They seems not necessarily more successful than Nigerians who schooled at Government College, Umuahia or Ilesha Grammar School.

Does anyone has explanations for this observation?

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Eton College Apologises To Dilibe Onyeama For Racism. by MetaPhysical: 5:13pm On Jun 23, 2020
sageb:
maybe you don't know me. Check my first post, someone said ojukwu is the first Nigerian to attend oxford University so i had to show him that someone have been there before Ojukwu. When the guy show me that a woman have attended oxford before Udo udoma. Did i argue? I am objective about the issue because I am from the Niger Delta and I am not interested in your tribal superiorty fight between yoruba and igbo. Cheers

I apologize bro. That was my fault thinking you are one of these embellishers looking for un-earned grace.

6 Likes

Re: Eton College Apologises To Dilibe Onyeama For Racism. by MetaPhysical: 5:16pm On Jun 23, 2020
oyatz:
Beyond tribal issues, there's one thing I notice from this story and similar stories which I think we should be discussing;

Most Nigerians who studied in
the best British or American Schools don't necessarily become the most successful Nigerians in their chosen career or in life generally.
They seems not necessarily more successful than Nigerians who schooled at Government College, Umuahia or Ilesha Grammar School.

There is a historical perspective to it. Good point! Open new thread and tag me lets talk about it.

1 Like

Re: Eton College Apologises To Dilibe Onyeama For Racism. by IbrahimSkiba(f): 6:45pm On Jun 23, 2020
Re: Eton College Apologises To Dilibe Onyeama For Racism. by mariatt(f): 6:45pm On Jun 23, 2020
Good
Re: Eton College Apologises To Dilibe Onyeama For Racism. by Amotekun777: 6:47pm On Jun 23, 2020
proeast:
Abeg no vex but I wan ask this question wey dey bother me since, na only Igbos Waka come?

Yaba Left confirm!

1 Like

Re: Eton College Apologises To Dilibe Onyeama For Racism. by omooba969(m): 6:48pm On Jun 23, 2020
My Eastern blodaz on the beat. grin
Re: Eton College Apologises To Dilibe Onyeama For Racism. by jrusky(m): 6:53pm On Jun 23, 2020
koning:
First black/African man at Oxford = Emeka Ojukwu

First balck man in Eton College = Dilibe Onyeama.

Conclusion = IGBO AMAKA. Putting Nigeria and africa on the map since 1845.

Mod, do the needed. The world need to know.

Bro I have always tell people like you if you dont have enough fact to back a claim pls keep quiet.

Ojukwu was never the first black Oxford material pls be guided.

The first black or Nigeria I think the man is from River or along that axis ok. Don't know his name but he is from SS

1 Like

Re: Eton College Apologises To Dilibe Onyeama For Racism. by okeyben10: 6:53pm On Jun 23, 2020
Someone should please remind me of his novel.

I remember that book put d fear of God in me growing up.

when i think about d experiences of blacks back in d days, i shudder.

I am so thankful to God for how far we've come in recognising that black is not an inferior race

Modified: nigger at eton

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Eton College Apologises To Dilibe Onyeama For Racism. by Nobody: 6:53pm On Jun 23, 2020
oyatz:

Most Nigerians who studied in the best British or American Schools don't necessarily become the most successful Nigerians in their chosen career or in life generally.

Success has always been what you do, and not what you don't do.It also has nothing to do with the school you went to.

(One of my seniors in university, when he graduated, he commented that he went to 'village' schools, and never thought in his life he would be a university graduate, talkless a doctor. It happened)

Also, a big problem with Nigerians who study abroad, it is very easy to get disconnected from home.

3 Likes

Re: Eton College Apologises To Dilibe Onyeama For Racism. by AfricanWahala(m): 6:54pm On Jun 23, 2020
koning:
First black/African man at Oxford = Emeka Ojukwu

First balck man in Eton College = Dilibe Onyeama.

Conclusion = IGBO AMAKA. Putting Nigeria and africa on the map since 1845.

� Bro you victims of Nigerian politician subjugation are so small minded at. You wanna be tribalist so bad but you fail at it. Why are you proud that an African is the first to attend British schools' what about being proud of what Africans have accomplished IN AFRICA Smh this generation is turning out worse than the previous ones

Mod, do the needed. The world need to know.
Re: Eton College Apologises To Dilibe Onyeama For Racism. by zeusdgrt(m): 6:54pm On Jun 23, 2020
Throwback:

This is not an argument. I am telling you a fact about the first Black student at Eton College.

Or is not in this life that Ovation Magazine once titled a story about Philip Emeagwali with the post of Professor?

https://www.legit.ng/1260792-retro-tokunbo-akintola-late-son-western-region-premier-ladoke-akintola-1st-black-boy-eton-college.html

Oga professor when dey in charge say the man is the first,u wen dey here dey argue ontop keyboard for school wen u never smell grin
Re: Eton College Apologises To Dilibe Onyeama For Racism. by Nobody: 6:57pm On Jun 23, 2020
sageb:

Mister man, stop being silly. There is nothing like south south zone anywhere in the world

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Eton College Apologises To Dilibe Onyeama For Racism. by Meteng: 7:00pm On Jun 23, 2020
saggis:

Igbo extention. Was he not a Judge or even Chief Judge in Biafra? just asking.
No, he wasn't

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Odufu Regina Ohutu, BSU Student Dies Shortly After Receiving Whatsapp Video Call / Update: Teacher Suspended Over Disturbing Photo Of Black Pupils Allocated A Tabl / Photos Of The Nigerian Students Detained In Turkey Over Failed Coup Attempt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 137
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.