Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,866 members, 7,817,563 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:26 PM

Why Do Self Taught Programmers Over Exaggerate - Programming (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Why Do Self Taught Programmers Over Exaggerate (25424 Views)

Self-taught Programmers / How Did You Land You First Job As A Self-taught Developer? / Why Self Taught Programmers Over “Exaggerate”. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Self Taught Programmers Over Exaggerate by GoodBoi1(m): 10:56am On Jun 28, 2020
Corporate2020:

My brother, local Nurses in Ajegunle, Ajangbadi, Ijora-Badia, Okokomaiko, Bariga, e.t.c. also do surgical operations. Same thing professors of Medicine do, but when yawa gas, na then you go know say khaki no be leather.
That is a different scenario. All the issues that were mentioned one can learn with basic certifications even just by running applications on your personal computer. Just be grounded in what you know and keep growing in your career. Big projects require specializations and working in teams. Even in the medical industry, there are specializations too
Re: Why Do Self Taught Programmers Over Exaggerate by CapitalBank: 10:57am On Jun 28, 2020
ARCHEMEDESME:
I've noticed a certain trend ; a lot of self taught developers seem to look down on a cs degree after learning just an aspect of computer science.

For example someone who decides to learn backend web development ( which is a subset of cs)by taking an udemy course thinks he has learnt more than a serious minded cs student . They go about saying stuff like :" I didn't study computer science but I can know more than a cs major" but they seem to forget that computer science goes beyond developing websites. To me it's a waste of time of time studying cs just because you want to be a web developer , correct me if I'm wrong but I think that's what boot camps are meant for .

But that doesn't change the fact that some CS majors know nothing , I've come across some CS majors that can't code but that doesn't make a cs degree worthless.
But do you think such people are right ?

Who. Told you coding is all about building websites?
Re: Why Do Self Taught Programmers Over Exaggerate by Nobody: 11:02am On Jun 28, 2020
CapitalBank:

Who. Told you coding is all about building websites?
I never said so
Re: Why Do Self Taught Programmers Over Exaggerate by Crvrider: 11:04am On Jun 28, 2020
GoodBoi1:

That's cool but still you don't need a CS degree to know/do all that, anyone can learn this online, with certifications or experience. When you work on big projects, you are more likely to specialize cos big projects require working in teams.

My point exactly. Certain career path does not require that you visit a brick and mortar higher institution to be well grounded. With self determination and a set achievable goal can get you there.

For anyone who is interested can go on YouTube and run a search on "chrisfixit". He is into car repairs and he didn't study anything relating to engines. In fact at some point in his life he wanted to be a chef.

For certain career path; google, bing, and YouTube is your friend.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Self Taught Programmers Over Exaggerate by shadeyinka(m): 11:04am On Jun 28, 2020
Shepherdd:

Getting a cs degree for a back end development career might not be an overkill.

Back end development at major companies like FANG requires a solid understanding of Data structures and Algorithm, a good understanding of how the language you are using for the development and the hardware relates, knowing the inner workings of the hardware, and how computers work overall.

For example Google had to create their own programming language because the existing ones had some issues i.e Python is too slow, Java is verbose, C++ compiles like a snail in addition to the fact that you have to do memory management etc.

Imagine one million requests hitting your server at once in need of a database or file write operation? A cs graduate knows about how operating systems works and how to do efficient concurrency and maximizing the usefulness of the hardware, a boot camp graduate might not even be aware of process forking.

Methods like bit shifting to store user permissions are easy hacks for CS graduates while a boot camper might not even be aware of the roles of the binary system in computing.

Finally boasting about knowing more than CS graduates is just a show of ignorance. Yes you can, but my friend before you can reach that stage you would have studied a lot alone, and when you are done you would realize that a CS degree might even be the shortcut.
The issue is that a vast majority of CS graduates are completely useless when it comes to problem solving and practicals except those who develop themself outside the Nigerian school curriculum.

One expects to see CS graduates making waves in solution provision but alas, self taught (including self taught CS graduates) are the king.

CS curriculum is too abstract and useless for now in Nigeria. It is one thing to understand data structures and OS, it is completely another thing to know how to IMPLEMENT the theories

Cc: Corporate2020

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Self Taught Programmers Over Exaggerate by CapitalBank: 11:10am On Jun 28, 2020
wwwtortoise:

Greetings Sir !

Please recommend a user-friendly online platform where I can learn Python for free.

I used codecademy but the free version is limited to only the intro and basics.

PS: I am presently doing my NYSC and eagerly want to learn programming.

Regards.

Google free code camp
Re: Why Do Self Taught Programmers Over Exaggerate by csamii: 11:15am On Jun 28, 2020
MrBible:
My advice is that a serious company should employ a CS grad and allow them to learn on the job or train them if they do not have enough experience. Most self taught are just noise makers as getteing a programming job is through connection rather than what you know.

Saying a CS grad cannot code is because self taught are not professionals so they don't understand that a professional can look up reference materials as their knowlegde is very wide unlike a self taught that only know the little bit of programming they do all the time.

You will hear self-taught saying a language is out dated when a new language or tool is out, not knowing that every language and tool has what they are best for and that the major existing languages and tools are kept up to date and can even perform better then the new ones.

Many complex projects are being scrapped because self taught do not have the knowledge to implement them and they will not give a CS grad the oppotunity to come in and implement those projects.

Bs! Go and use PHP 5 when your mates are using 7. let's test your theory.
Re: Why Do Self Taught Programmers Over Exaggerate by phemmyfour: 11:19am On Jun 28, 2020
ARCHEMEDESME:
I've noticed a certain trend ; a lot of self taught developers seem to look down on a cs degree after learning just an aspect of computer science.

For example someone who decides to learn backend web development ( which is a subset of cs)by taking an udemy course thinks he has learnt more than a serious minded cs student . They go about saying stuff like :" I didn't study computer science but I can know more than a cs major" but they seem to forget that computer science goes beyond developing websites. To me it's a waste of time of time studying cs just because you want to be a web developer , correct me if I'm wrong but I think that's what boot camps are meant for .

But that doesn't change the fact that some CS majors know nothing , I've come across some CS majors that can't code but that doesn't make a cs degree worthless.
For the sake of others, next time, you can start your write up by defining CS as Computer Science instead of writing cs everywhere
Re: Why Do Self Taught Programmers Over Exaggerate by Corporate2020: 11:23am On Jun 28, 2020
shadeyinka:

The issue is that a vast majority of CS graduates are completely useless when it comes to problem solving and practicals except those who develop themself outside the Nigerian school curriculum.

One expects to see CS graduates making waves in solution provision but alas, self taught (including CS graduates) are the king.

CS curriculum is too abstract and useless for now in Nigeria. It is one thing to understand data structures and OS, it is completely another thing to know how to IMPLEMENT the theories

Cc: Corporate2020

My brother, who am I to argue with you?
Re: Why Do Self Taught Programmers Over Exaggerate by golddare: 11:27am On Jun 28, 2020
ARCHEMEDESME:

I hope you know mechanical engineering is not all about cars , cars are designed by mostly top notch engineers who specialize in that field . The mechanic depends on the engineer

Same goes with CS. The point is ignorance is the reason for looking down on anyone.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Self Taught Programmers Over Exaggerate by shadeyinka(m): 11:28am On Jun 28, 2020
Corporate2020:

My brother, who am I to argue with you?
Well said!
There are exceptions though! These are the self taught CS graduates.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Self Taught Programmers Over Exaggerate by jaxxy(m): 11:38am On Jun 28, 2020
ARCHEMEDESME:

I seriously think if he can study that he can study any other thing In computer science basics u know if he wanted to. He is logically thesame as a cs student if not better besides the certificate presentation.
Re: Why Do Self Taught Programmers Over Exaggerate by bigdammyj: 11:54am On Jun 28, 2020
You all just speaking grammar on top something someone developed from his bedroom Bill Gate no do cs & yet all you csc holders in Naija still dey use Microsoft background without Java script many of you no fit exist. Your .ng is still using .com to navigate.

Make una continue to dey carry paper Cert up & down. Las Las we all go dey alright

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Self Taught Programmers Over Exaggerate by stanliwise(m): 11:54am On Jun 28, 2020
Crvrider:

Is it not possible then for a self taught who is well grounded in programming not to be knowledgeable in computational skills?

Look there are certain careers in life where you can do quite well without being admitted to study in the university and programming is one of them. Even your computational analysis is also another.

On the other hand maybe I misunderstand you. Please kindly explain what you mean by computational and why you think it is a skill for the high and mighty.

PS: have you seen a programmer who built an operating system/programming language from scratch, and I am not here talking about an android or iOS app?

It takes a lot of cerebral concentration!
I already said you can learn computation outside school in my previous post.

Computation means the ability to be able use mathematical evaluation and critical thinking to work on data so as to reduce workload of searching on data, storing data, transferring data, operate on data. For example to search if a string is in a large amount of text. Anyone could simple write a code to find the string one by one but a computing scientist would find a mathematical evaluation method to ensure he finds it in the simplest possible time. In reality situation could have a lot of constrain ranging from small amount of memory to large (and concurrent access to data in a short time frame. A computing scientist job is to ensure how to find the best possible means to save company resources and yet make the service available.

Like you said someone coded an OS. It need extensive knowledge of computation to do that but anyone can do it. But a computing scientist would think so hard to optimize the system in such a way that it would work in best situations interms of speed and constrain to hardware.
Microsoft and Linux used hands of thousand computing scientist (not programmers) for ideas to reduce computation complexity.

Computation parent is mathematics.

Mathematics on data = computing science.

Although computing science field has broaden so much now and it has been coupled with some form of engineering, System Analysis and Human/machine Interaction and intelligence(AI), Graphics.

You will recognize I use the word “computing science ” rather than “computer science”. This is the accurate terminology.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Self Taught Programmers Over Exaggerate by Swipa: 11:58am On Jun 28, 2020
This is really true.
Coder2Client:
CS major is just like Jack of all trades master of none. As a CS grad, I was just reading to pass my exams. Tell me, how do you expect CS major to be expert in Java, c++, pascal, vb, algorithm, python Fortran, cobol, networking etc and still claim to be productive when he/she has not successfully implemented any of these core languages in a production?

After my school, I had to start all over by myself. This time, it was Java and I can tell you that I am very proud of doing so. I learn so much by myself.

So, self taught programmers are goal oriented and not like the school conventional way of programming.
Re: Why Do Self Taught Programmers Over Exaggerate by GeneralShepherd(m): 12:00pm On Jun 28, 2020
ARCHEMEDESME:

Full disclosure I have a master's in CS.

The reason is this....
1. A degree teaches you the basics, like algorithms , Boolean logic, mathematics etc.
2. The technology to build useful things maven, reddis, elastic search, mongo, spring, laravel, etc are not taught in school.
3. This is because these technologies change all the time.
4. So no matter your qualification unless you are developing frameworks, new language and new algorithms, your degree offers no real advantage
5. Some of the most successful tech business men and women are self - taught.
6. You are also self-taught because 70% of what you know as a developer you learnt on your own
Re: Why Do Self Taught Programmers Over Exaggerate by ChibeKs(m): 12:13pm On Jun 28, 2020
Stanliwise and co. Don't be annoyed with self taught guys if they can solve a problem, they are good to go.
I'm sure you guys know other things not related to cs that others picked a degree for and will come to you to learn more. So don't be pained life is all about solving problems, it doesn't matter how you do it or where you learnt how to do it.
Happy Sunday!!!
Re: Why Do Self Taught Programmers Over Exaggerate by stanliwise(m): 12:20pm On Jun 28, 2020
ChibeKs:
Stanliwise and co. Don't be annoyed with self taught guys if they can solve a problem, they are good to go.
I'm sure you guys know other things not related to cs that others picked a degree for and will come to you to learn more. So don't be pained life is all about solving problems, it doesn't matter how you do it or where you learnt how to do it.
Happy Sunday!!!
I taught myself how to code and I was creating website before I got admission to Computing science. How could I be pained? When I also taught myself to code.
All I am here saying is that most people don’t understand what computing science is. Ignorance is the problem. Just like when layman thinks a mathematician would end up as a mathematics teacher. Same way they would also think a computing scientist would end up as a programmer. I shake my head. Happy Sunday to you.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Self Taught Programmers Over Exaggerate by techstack: 12:31pm On Jun 28, 2020
ProfAmaben:
A degree is just a piece of paper. Even you that studied CS, what did you build as your project without using Google or other online resources? Lemme tell you, someone that took a Fullstack development course on Udemy and practice for a year would do better than someone that studied CS with major in Web development. CS has other departments like networking and I challenge you to bring the best CS student in your class to challenge a third class Geography student I know that has courses in Cisco, NIT, 3 Coursera courses, and 2 Udemy courses in networking. He's currently with an Israeli firm in Abuja teaching Networking to CS graduates.

There's no overexaggeration, CS graduates don't own the computer or software world, anyone that has a good logical reasoning and patience plus determination would excel. Keep your paper somewhere and build your skill, keep building and building. I am a living testimony of the fact that you don't need a CS Degree to talk to computers, all you need is the right resource, time, lots of sacrifice on personal and financial levels to excel.

This is Sunday and I've been in the office since on Friday due to free internet and light smiley, coding and coding and coding.

I am sure that screenshot is React

I am more of backend C# and Nodejs
Re: Why Do Self Taught Programmers Over Exaggerate by BlackyOne: 12:40pm On Jun 28, 2020
I think it's because our school curriculum is not practical intensive, to tell you how bad it is, I know a CS graduate of class 2014 and till now she still not versatile with basic computer skill or even MS office not to mention coding...

Yet she's a GRADUATE, and has enjoyed Npower teach for over 2years.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Self Taught Programmers Over Exaggerate by ProfAmaben(m): 12:42pm On Jun 28, 2020
techstack:

I am sure that screenshot is React

I am more of backend C# and Nodejs
You guessed right wink. Backend is cool too but Frontend these days aren't frontend but more like an hybrid. Well done, what's your stack? MERN, knex, faker?
Re: Why Do Self Taught Programmers Over Exaggerate by Xandelle: 12:45pm On Jun 28, 2020
A computer scientist is like a pharmacist. While a computer programmer is like a doctor. The pharmacist makes the tools for the doctor to use, while the doctor learns how to use those tools to cure the sick.

The pharmacist does not necessarily have to know how the doctor uses the tools made by him, and I suspect the doctors don't give a hoot about knowing how the pharmacist made those tools.

Note, pharmacy is also a subset of chemistry. Just as computer science is a subset of engineering.
Re: Why Do Self Taught Programmers Over Exaggerate by micolaj: 12:48pm On Jun 28, 2020
Microwhy:

Please erase @bolded notion from your mind..
Some self taught programmer go as far back as learning what happen during compilation, what happen just before serial display... Some people have curious mind, so please don't underestimate the ability of self taught not just in CS related but every aspect of life. Some apply principle of reverse engineering during self taught. They will want to learn everything that has to do with that particular niche they are interested in. It will be foolish to challenge such people about their niche and everything that surround it.
Google and YouTube are more than any university degree, you can learn virtually everything you want.

This is me grin

I have always been curious and love self-learning since my ICAN days ( became a chartered accountant without attending tuition houses) and I carried the same curiousity into programming, from learning data structure and algorithm to learning functional programming, system architecture, at least all these in theories in my first two months before moving to vanilla JavaScript, react, nodes, express, mysql. Now, I'm building a SAAS product for SMEs to solve a particular problem (learn UX and UI on the way and I used Figma to concretise the idea before building), all of these in six months plus and I'm working full time.

Now tell me how efficient and effective I would be if I focus on programming in the next one year? It's not the degree or school. It's about what drive you. It's about the level of your curiosity. And coming from another field also helps self-taught to have more expansive view of the world the than Cs dudes.

My opinion.

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Self Taught Programmers Over Exaggerate by Miyachi: 12:56pm On Jun 28, 2020
ARCHEMEDESME:

Computer Science is as much about computers as Geography is about telescopes.
Anybody can code but few can solve the hard problems of Computer Science.(e.g. problems in computational complexity -- P=NP, etc)

1 Like

Re: Why Do Self Taught Programmers Over Exaggerate by Daejoyoung: 1:02pm On Jun 28, 2020
BlackyOne:
I think it's because our school curriculum is not practical intensive, to tell you how bad it is, I know a CS graduate of class 2014 and till now she still not versatile with basic computer skill or even MS office not to mention coding...

Yet she's a GRADUATE, and has enjoyed Npower teach for over 2years.
lol just to be a bit controversial though, I know people who know how to code but are not very good with MS Office. They learnt coding before Excel or even MS Word.
Some people even prefer coding to the drag and drop. For example some may enjoy using pandas ( python's data library) or R programming language to do even some simple task than using excel.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Self Taught Programmers Over Exaggerate by Crvrider: 1:10pm On Jun 28, 2020
stanliwise:
I taught myself how to code and I was creating website before I got admission to Computing science. How could I be pained? When I also taught myself to code.
All I am here saying is that most people don’t understand what computing science is. Ignorance is the problem. Just like when layman thinks a mathematician would end up as a mathematics teacher. Same way they would also think a computing scientist would end up as a programmer. I shake my head. Happy Sunday to you.

When you do statistical analysis and the numbers seems to be in favour of one outcome over the other(s) you can safely predict based on the outcome of the highest frequency. Hence the reason most of us argued in favour of "people studied computer science solely to become programmers". This however is irrespective of the diverse discipline you could branch into with regards cs. In all honesty if you where aaked what the motivating factor was for you studying cs, what will the answer be?

Most likely programming.

We based our argument on numbers and not the diverse discipline of cs.
Re: Why Do Self Taught Programmers Over Exaggerate by Anonime1105(m): 1:13pm On Jun 28, 2020
onegig:

Absolute bullshit

You can learn whatever outside the four walls of the classrooms

Thank God you are smart enough to know this...

but a CS degree is far beyond just writing codes that this self taught courses gives you. I can bet a lot of all these so called "Software engineers" don't even know what data structures are which is the basic building block for all programming languages.

You are not a Software Engineering if you don't know DS & A!
Re: Why Do Self Taught Programmers Over Exaggerate by avalon7(m): 1:34pm On Jun 28, 2020
Ausrichie:

This is ridiculously untrue. CS goes miles beyond computer development, if a new OS is about to be made who do you think they will call? If a new processor is about to be made and the designers need people to design the ISA who do you think they will call? If a new network transfer protocol like TCP or UDP is about to be made who do you think will be called? What about Virtual Machines, Machine learning algorithms, Programming languages etc. Computer science is more than Software engineering though it does concern coding but it is also has a lot to do with Mathematics.

In that case difference between a CS graduate and a self taught programmer are only paramount in big companies in developed countries i.e FANG... Who dey develope new OS for Africa kwanu?
Re: Why Do Self Taught Programmers Over Exaggerate by Sirwallace(m): 1:36pm On Jun 28, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

Gerrard59 see this one o grin. I bet my life he studied computer science but doesn't know a single programming language but wants to get a job.

At the bolded. Why do Nigerians have an innate belief that one can't get a job without connections even in high skilled professions like software development.

Many people have that mentality and that explains why many of them don't risk and apply for job. Most importantly, most are not even prepare for the so called while collar job. A graduate that cannot even use ordinary MS word talkless of advance excel(met lot of them in NYSC).

After my Nysc, I have interviewed at a fundraising firm on Banana highland and what I learned from that interview changed my narrative on job search and industry needed skills. Had host of others interviews and worked at one of the big 4 without knowing nobody.

And to dive into the Discussion on coding and CS degree. Its like saying someone who self thought how to use AutoCad and Solid work is a better engineer than those who actually study mechanical engineering(AutoCad being a 2 semesters engineering drawing course). But guess what, most engineering graduate cannot even design or fabricate a piece or project. But the self thought guy can help with design.

And that explain why they ridicule you lots with all your theory and process in CS, you have nothing to show or contribute.

The self thought guy pick a few library, became expert in those libraries, add value and render you lot useless.

Remember it is not about what you know, but what you can contribute.
Re: Why Do Self Taught Programmers Over Exaggerate by eisley: 1:37pm On Jun 28, 2020
It actually goes both ways, though there is a certainly feeling of pride, in programers who were self-taught.

Meanwhile, are you a student, businessman, trader, or entrepreneur? Do you know you can; pay DStv bills, pay NEPA bills, purchase data, transfer cash, purchase airtime and lots more at your convenience via GTBank USSD code *737#.

It's safe, and fast.
Re: Why Do Self Taught Programmers Over Exaggerate by tensazangetsu20(m): 1:49pm On Jun 28, 2020
Sirwallace:

Many people have that mentality and that explains why many of them don't risk and apply for job. Most importantly, most are not even prepare for the so called while collar job. A graduate that cannot even use ordinary MS word talkless of advance excel(met lot of them in NYSC).

After my Nysc, I have interviewed at a fundraising firm on Banana highland and what I learned from that interview changed my narrative on job search and industry needed skills. Had host of others interviews and worked at one of the big 4 without knowing nobody.

And to dive into the Discussion on coding and CS degree. Its like saying someone who self thought how to use AutoCad and Solid work is a better engineer than those who actually study mechanical engineering(AutoCad being a 2 semesters engineering drawing course). But guess what, most engineering graduate cannot even design or fabricate a piece or project. But the self thought guy can help with design.

And that explain why they ridicule you lots with all your theory and process in CS, you have nothing to show or contribute.

The self thought guy pick a few library, became expert in those libraries, add value and render you lot useless.

Remember it is not about what you know, but what you can contribute.
It's a very stupid thought. Many will never apply to jobs, they have attended no interviews and you will see them yapping no jobs.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Learning Programming. (my Nairaland Journal) / Whats The Best Laptop For Programming? / Best Operating System For Programming!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.