Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,408 members, 7,819,454 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:35 PM

Ladies How Do You Cope With An Overbearing Man??? - Romance (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Ladies How Do You Cope With An Overbearing Man??? (31276 Views)

How To Deal With An Overbearing Mother Inlaw / Overly Tall Guys How Do U Cope With Self Esteem Cuz Mine Is Killing Me!! / How Do You Cope With Gossip Housewives As Neigbhours Being A Bachelor? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ladies How Do You Cope With An Overbearing Man??? by Nobody: 10:48pm On Jun 26, 2020
Alwaysachick:

Okay, I will revisit the story. Thank you so much
I'd rather you watch the movie and its sequels.
Re: Ladies How Do You Cope With An Overbearing Man??? by Heiterkeit(f): 11:27pm On Jun 26, 2020
ethicallyright:

kneel and beg him. Pacify his damn ego if you love him. Submit to him.

What kind of nonsense is this? You are just all over the thread trying to sound strong and smart, even when it's apparent that you're neither of them.

Thread owner, leave that man, he's not good enough for you.

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ladies How Do You Cope With An Overbearing Man??? by Funkyswagzz(m): 11:42pm On Jun 26, 2020
Alwaysachick:
Good evening ladies in the house,

I have a friend he is every good thing but overbearing. He kept that part till we started dating. I don't have issues with a man wanting to be a man but when he does it to the extent your opinions don't count again and if you do otherwise even when you are right, it gets him angry. Shouldn't it be a thing of concern?

I've been feeding his ego but I think its getting out of hand. The relationship is getting serious but my fears have started building and im beginning to ask myself if I can cope??

Please help a sister, what can I do to stop this? Married women in the house with husbands with such traits how do you cope?

Should have have learnt from my parents but my father is the exact opposite and with my observations, his dad is also overbearing his sisters at always complaining.

I'm having a hard time reading ur post buh I understand ur point. Tbh I think he is scared of loosing u. U really need to seat him down and ask him important questions. For instance what does he really want from u. Does he think both of u are compatible enough. Just try get words out of him and know his mindset towards u. U have to take control of the situation and make him understand that u are tired of what is happening and he might loose u if he continues in that manner.

2 Likes

Re: Ladies How Do You Cope With An Overbearing Man??? by Barristter07: 1:03am On Jun 27, 2020
Alwaysachick:

Not really, but he always wants me to do as he says. Even when he wants me to come over and I give a reason why I can't come, he gets pissed like I'm disobedient.

Authoritative and commanding I guess ?? ... Love should involve respect . while its expected that you respect him, he also need to respect you too . this shouldn't be Nazi style

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ladies How Do You Cope With An Overbearing Man??? by Ishilove: 2:05am On Jun 27, 2020
Alwaysachick:

He won't or will? Bleep the hell out ta?

He hasn't raise his hands though, and he apologized the first time he raised his voice. But I don't know how today's own will go because I sent him a chat and called him overbearing., no reply yet.
The guy is trolling

1 Like

Re: Ladies How Do You Cope With An Overbearing Man??? by Ishilove: 2:10am On Jun 27, 2020
You simply don't cope with an overbearing man, especially if you have a strong personality. He is an egomaniac, the kind who believe they are always right and no one, especially a 'lowly' woman should challenge their authority.

If you know you can be a doormat, stick with him. If you can't then talk to your legs. Osondu.

28 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ladies How Do You Cope With An Overbearing Man??? by HeavenlyCherub(f): 2:19am On Jun 27, 2020
Alwaysachick:

I have a friend he is every good thing but overbearing. He kept that part till we started dating. I don't have issues with a man wanting to be a man but when he does it to the extent your opinions don't count again and if you do otherwise even when you are right, it gets him angry. Shouldn't it be a thing of concern?

I've been feeding his ego but I think its getting out of hand. The relationship is getting serious but my fears have started building and im beginning to ask myself if I can cope??

Please help a sister, what can I do to stop this? Married women in the house with husbands with such traits how do you cope?

Should have have learnt from my parents but my father is the exact opposite and with my observations, his dad is also overbearing his sisters at always complaining.

RUN... if you know you can be in a household where you opinion will never matter for life go for it. Don’t say I didn’t tell you. It’s a red flag. You need a man who understands.

7 Likes

Re: Ladies How Do You Cope With An Overbearing Man??? by Nobody: 2:47am On Jun 27, 2020
Well, as negative as it may seem, some men are just like that. They mean no harm and their way of advising or pushing you to be better may just seem a bit overbearing.
It may all just be from a place of love, however, only cool headed women can cope and enjoy a relationship with such men. If you are a feminist or 'alpha female', then better walk away to avoid emotional issues and constant conflicts in the relationship.

5 Likes

Re: Ladies How Do You Cope With An Overbearing Man??? by Munzy14(m): 6:16am On Jun 27, 2020
Alwaysachick:

I'm a very sensible person and appreciate his care for me, but how do I deal with someone who doesn't want you to contest his opinions even when they are harsh or wrong.

Ain't doing zodiacs again sorry, lol
If u can't fix it, you take the door, so he can meet another lady who will appreciate his style. While you meet the man who can allow you have your opinion.

Their is a woman for every man.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ladies How Do You Cope With An Overbearing Man??? by 12345baba(m): 6:27am On Jun 27, 2020
Tell am ur mind if he no change, nne gbawa door !

1 Like

Re: Ladies How Do You Cope With An Overbearing Man??? by Fuckingmallam45(m): 6:28am On Jun 27, 2020
If that should be the case, then, it's okay for you to bring in your own ego in that relationship. Let him also know that you are angry; you are hurt with his behaviors. Once you hide your hurt feelings and keep your ego aside, he will tend to take you for granted. Never let anyone takes you for granted. If you are important enough for him, he will value you, if he don't value you, you don't need him. Then walk away my sister.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ladies How Do You Cope With An Overbearing Man??? by InvertedHammer: 6:31am On Jun 27, 2020
Alwaysachick:

/.
If he is too overbearing for your comfort, then end the relationship. Is that too difficult to understand? What other aspect of your life do you want strangers to decide for you?

Jeeeeesus Christ!

\

1 Like

Re: Ladies How Do You Cope With An Overbearing Man??? by martineverest(m): 6:34am On Jun 27, 2020
ethicallyright:
He is not an "overbearing" male. He is a man.

Any creature who isn't female and can't dominate female folks is a simp.

One is either a man or a simp. Your man is the former.
archaic mentality of an African man

13 Likes

Re: Ladies How Do You Cope With An Overbearing Man??? by peacettw: 6:34am On Jun 27, 2020
Sweetie, most men if not all are overbearing and that is the honest truth. The trick is to find a balance, most do, others dont.
You sound smart, so believe me when I say that you will find a way, just like every other women have. As long as he isn't abusive, you will learn to work his buttons over time.
And remember, you have tons of other places to assert yourself like the work place, church, etc. So don't worry about losing your essence completely. Just be certain he respects you well enough and isn't abusive.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ladies How Do You Cope With An Overbearing Man??? by BlogRabbit: 6:35am On Jun 27, 2020
Wahala
Re: Ladies How Do You Cope With An Overbearing Man??? by Nobody: 6:36am On Jun 27, 2020
Alwaysachick:

Sit him down and talk to him. Tell him how you want to be loved and exactly how you want him to handle your feelings.

Most men make mistakes of having a mental picture of his perfect woman in his brain, and he spends his time modeling you into that picture.

If you don't know his kinda mental picture of you, and if he does not know your dream man, there will be conflict.

The disease of unmet expectation is stronger than one can imagine.

Just make sure you approach him in a subtle manner and pour out your heart. It will do you much good.

Remember, you guys are from different background and different social life. Beside, he might have grown up in an environment where men made all the decisions for their women and they loved their men for it.

So talk to him and iron out this issue. But don't forget, manner of approach and mode of communication matters alot.

Men read body language too and will resist at the first attempt to amend that mental picture that seems perfect.

4 Likes

Re: Ladies How Do You Cope With An Overbearing Man??? by baby124: 6:36am On Jun 27, 2020
If this frustrates you now you better take to your heels and find a more agreeable partner. Don’t go and die of stress or high BP in one marriage

3 Likes

Re: Ladies How Do You Cope With An Overbearing Man??? by AfroKnight: 6:36am On Jun 27, 2020
Looks like there are two captains on this ship.

3 Likes

Re: Ladies How Do You Cope With An Overbearing Man??? by goshen26: 6:37am On Jun 27, 2020
Alwaysachick:

You see these women here, most of them have kept their marriages for long by saying 'yes Sir or yes honey' to all their men says.

Let me don't deceive you, Men are naturally egocentric, and the earlier u live by it the better for u.

There are wise ways to correct a man when he's wrong.... But if u do as if u telling him point blank that he's a fool, he will choose to be that fool than accept ur wise counsel... The ego is naturally with men....

Dont let us come and be praying for u that u need husband later, because if u leave one cos of this You will meet another with a higher level of the sake trait.

If He command, and u are not okay... Smile and say "it's okay love, then say but wat if I come tomorrow because I am doing this now, and by tomorrow I will be there for u Honey"

13 Likes

Re: Ladies How Do You Cope With An Overbearing Man??? by luvme0702: 6:38am On Jun 27, 2020
Walk away now. What you know you can't tolerate before marriage will only get worse after marriage. Marriage is all about companionship, respecting each other's opinion not one trying to subdue the other or some sort of slavery stuff. Go find someone better.

6 Likes

Re: Ladies How Do You Cope With An Overbearing Man??? by Xisnin(m): 6:38am On Jun 27, 2020
Alwaysachick:

You can't stop it.
That is who he is.
He is not necessarily bad as some women want his type.
It may be that he is conditioning you like Pavlov did his dogs.

But he is not a pretender as he has clearly shown you how he thinks.
But if you can't cope, run quickly.

Don't pretend you are okay with it.

If it gets too serious, getting out may be impossible as you may
may have lost yourself by then.

5 Likes

Re: Ladies How Do You Cope With An Overbearing Man??? by Nobody: 6:39am On Jun 27, 2020
ethicallyright:
He is not an "overbearing" male. He is a man.

Any creature who isn't female and can't dominate female folks is a simp.

One is either a man or a simp. Your man is the former.

This is wrong. Two people who choose to marry are equal. Why dominate?

2 Likes

Re: Ladies How Do You Cope With An Overbearing Man??? by Nobody: 6:40am On Jun 27, 2020
Xisnin:

You can't stop it.
That is who he is.
He is not necessarily bad as some women want his type.
It may be that he is conditioning you like Pavlov did his dogs or he wants
weed out, incompatible partners.

But he is not a pretender as he has clearly shown you how he thinks.
But if you can't cope, run quickly.

Don't pretend you are okay with it.

If it gets too serious, getting out may be impossible as you may
may have lost yourself by then.

This is wrong too. What if the woman is the opposite of what you posted here?
Re: Ladies How Do You Cope With An Overbearing Man??? by Ethan494: 6:40am On Jun 27, 2020
Cool
Re: Ladies How Do You Cope With An Overbearing Man??? by Xisnin(m): 6:41am On Jun 27, 2020
martineverest:
archaic mentality of an African man
There are o African man mentality at least not to this extreme.
Of course, there are men like him but they were never in the majority.
Re: Ladies How Do You Cope With An Overbearing Man??? by AkuOlisa: 6:42am On Jun 27, 2020
[color=#006600][/color]
Alwaysachick:

If i keep pacifying him and he has no control again, won't it lead to physical or public abuse one day? What If he raises his voice at me in public one day?

Can't you see the person you're replying has the same egotistical behavior as your boyfriend ?

My Advice RUN because that guy is going to frustrate you and make you lose yourself esteem.

6 Likes

Re: Ladies How Do You Cope With An Overbearing Man??? by Xisnin(m): 6:42am On Jun 27, 2020
Forgness:

This is wrong too. What if the woman is the opposite of what you posted here?
What is wrong?
Opposite of what?
Re: Ladies How Do You Cope With An Overbearing Man??? by whytediamond(m): 6:46am On Jun 27, 2020
victorian:
Better free yourself. You guys are not married yet and you are getting all. Worked up over a bf who is overbearing.

Newsflash, there are good guys out there who are easygoing about life and their relationship.

Cut off from him and give yourself Correct breathing space.

He's not the end of the world.

Just free yourself jare.

@bolded: she didn't say the man is a bad man, she only said he's self-imposing. If she cuts off from her man because of this singular failing, have you bothered to ask yourself. Na woman dey find man? Do you know if she's 35? Ok if she sees the "good man", is she a good woman to the good man? Or you think she's perfect?

You've not heard from the brother and your verdict is dissolution. I can bet my balls you're not married.

Why do you now think you qualify to ask a lady to quit her relationship? Ladies are enemies of their kind, masquerading as friends.

Think about it.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ladies How Do You Cope With An Overbearing Man??? by Emekaossai(m): 6:47am On Jun 27, 2020
Alwaysachick:

If i keep pacifying him and he has no control again, won't it lead to physical or public abuse one day? What If he raises his voice at me in public one day?

Have a heart to heart talk with him about his attitude. If it persists, walk away.
Re: Ladies How Do You Cope With An Overbearing Man??? by Franklyspeakin: 6:48am On Jun 27, 2020
Aunty, from experience, flee!!!!!. The man won't get better. Marriage would only make it worse cos now he can rightfully be domineering. What would happen when you two quarrel?? Are you sure you would be able to reach him
Alwaysachick:

4 Likes

Re: Ladies How Do You Cope With An Overbearing Man??? by ajailer(m): 6:48am On Jun 27, 2020
by being an under bearing woman nah....o pari

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Nigerian Men Need To Understand That Some Women Have Financial Standards. / Are SS & Igbo Women More Beautiful Than Yoruba Women? / Ridiculous Things That Many People Do After Breakup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.