Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,425 members, 7,836,699 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 11:42 AM

Preaching Etiquette - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Preaching Etiquette (26707 Views)

Preaching Etiquette As A Guest Speaker / See The Church Where A Reverend Father Was Spotted Preaching That Has Gone Viral / Examining Talk That Jehovah's Witnesses Are The Only Ones Preaching Out There (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Preaching Etiquette by Ellegacy(m): 9:48am On Jun 28, 2020
Dangrace01:
What I know is whenever pastors preach about past life what comes to my mind is so you have finished enjoying your life and have memorable experience and you don't want me to do my own and have my experience then repent.

Allow me to enjoy myself have experience then I can now repent.

Exactly my own thoughts too.. I use to think, if you can do this things I can too and eventually repent. Have an experience like that too and have a great tale to tell in the future.

1 Like

Re: Preaching Etiquette by Dangrace01: 9:50am On Jun 28, 2020
Ellegacy:

Exactly my own thoughts too.. I use to think, if you can do this things I can too and eventually repent. Have an experience like that too and have a great tale to tell in the future.

What is life without experiences bro. You are the sum total of your experiences. Enjoy life with us, it's a beautiful trip
Re: Preaching Etiquette by MrNipplesLover(m): 9:50am On Jun 28, 2020
Kobojunkie:

So it is wrong for followers of Jesus Christ to admit they too had a sin-fillled past like every one else? undecided undecided

confess your sins to Jesus/God, not to me, pls.

Thank you, Jesus.
Re: Preaching Etiquette by Nobody: 9:52am On Jun 28, 2020
seyi360:

May be I should have interpreted my post to an indigenous language for him to understand

Well... If that will give more clarity, fine. Just be patient Sir. smiley
Re: Preaching Etiquette by scobyy2007: 9:55am On Jun 28, 2020
God bless you @seyi360 you have written well. You can share your past but be wise as you do so. You don't want to sound as if you are proud of your terrible past or boasting about it. You can just mention that you are not perfect and that you had made some silly mistakes in the past.
seyi360:

There should be a limit to what a preacher says about his past life especially while preaching.
When a preacher says
"back in the days, I slept around with my mother's mates"
"I used to be a serial fornicator and rapist"
"I was a murderer and a burglar " etc

Really? And you're proud of such acts? I think that clearly is the height of ecclesiastical insensitivity.

Such unguarded statements has the tendency of poking unhealed wounds in the hearts of some of your listeners , opening you up to temptations and easily making you a victim of extended hatred.

You're called to be a healer, not a killer.

1 Like

Re: Preaching Etiquette by Nobody: 9:55am On Jun 28, 2020
[quote author=MrNipplesLover post=91155298]

confess your sins to Jesus/God, not to me, pls.

The pastor is not said to he confessing his sins here but trying to make them feel at home and free from the minds condemnation especially as baby Christians.
Re: Preaching Etiquette by COdeGenesis: 9:59am On Jun 28, 2020
DennisEche:
Seyi360 big ups to you for bring on this topic. Any time I hear a preacher boasting about his women excesses in the past , it sounds so awkward and not necessary.

It is just your mindset working. Perhaps, you hate people who talk too much about their past achievements or success stories and you are these cool easy going guy that doesnt like to blow his trumpet. So anytime yiu hv a conversation with somehow and the person starts telling tales about their life, it kicks in
Re: Preaching Etiquette by seyi360(m): 10:02am On Jun 28, 2020
[quote author=Eulalia post=91155176]Seyi, I think why some pastors use their past experience as illustrations is to help some members who still feel unworthy with a pricking conscience of their past not allowing them enjoy the full grace to feel more calm and accepted in the body of christ. so they dont easily revert back to the world thinking their past sin is so enormous that God cannot accept them.

Do you know some can leave the Church if these fears of rejection are not allayed? And the best way to do this I think is a man of God using himself as a case study just like Paul said that he became like them when preaching the word so he can fit in and be well accepted by those he preached to. Even though likening Paul's case to this isn't directly same but its similar in a way.

Trying to be like them to win them or make them understand you were once like them so they dont feel odd.

I think thats what kobojunkie was on about. And please let's stop being harsh to one another when a question is thrown at us. Where is now the fruit of the spirit ( Patience) in us as Christians?

We all are still learning.

Shalom.

Happy Sunday to everyone. smiley

The first line of my post " There should be a limit" simply settles it. The pulpit is not a platform where all things should be mentioned. It's ok to give a hint of your past but going deep and building a career out of it to the extent that it becomes your logo and the reason why people know you and invite you, that preacher is derailing . Details could be given during counselling sessions to specific persons who need that info. not to the general audience

1 Like

Re: Preaching Etiquette by IMASTEX: 10:05am On Jun 28, 2020
Kobojunkie:

So it is wrong for followers of Jesus Christ to admit they too had a sin-fillled past like every one else? undecided undecided
You dey mind am. Na all this packaging of holy holy dem take dey push pastors to want beg god. No wonder one drunkard wey put Coro 5g for head dey claim say he can't sin. grin grin. He forget say "Self-righteousness" itself na sin.
Re: Preaching Etiquette by Dalby(m): 10:06am On Jun 28, 2020
seyi360:

There should be a limit to what a preacher says about his past life especially while preaching.
When a preacher says

Really? And you're proud of such acts? I think that clearly is the height of ecclesiastical insensitivity.

Such unguarded statements has the tendency of poking unhealed wounds in the hearts of some of your listeners , opening you up to temptations and easily making you a victim of extended hatred.

But that was what you were, so why paint it? Tell the truth always!!!
Re: Preaching Etiquette by jumich1(m): 10:06am On Jun 28, 2020
It is said “if you want to hide anything from the general public, put it in a book”

If you want to rub mind(s) with great leaders and the anointing of Servants of a great God, take time to read their books*

*Christian EBook Library is where you can share and get all christian book FREE OF CHARGE

Wish to join the group? Chat me up on 0 7 0 3 4 9 3 4 7 2 6 to be added up
Re: Preaching Etiquette by oshorstan(f): 10:07am On Jun 28, 2020
seyi360:

When a preacher says

You're right.
speak more about Jesus not past (sin)

1 Like

Re: Preaching Etiquette by DennisEche(m): 10:07am On Jun 28, 2020
COdeGenesis:

It is just your mindset working. Perhaps, you hate people who talk too much about their past achievements or success stories and you are these cool easy going guy that doesnt like to blow his trumpet. So anytime yiu hv a conversation with somehow and the person starts telling tales about their life, it kicks in
Pls learn the difference between talking of his past success and achievement and a preacher talking of how he was a stud in the past.

1 Like

Re: Preaching Etiquette by Kaylet: 10:11am On Jun 28, 2020
I got your point and I think you're right to some extent.

But to me, I think it plays back on how you table the matter before the congregation.

Some needs to know that his/her sins can be forgiven. Women rape too and also play men in turn for money.

The victim can either be men or women. It's the genuity, your countenance and remorseful you're that will tell the people that you're sorry about the past.

May I quickly say here that, once you can share your past with people in the public, to me, it means you've not forgotten or forgiven yourself about the past

Someone needs a shoulder to lean on

1 Like

Re: Preaching Etiquette by seyi360(m): 10:12am On Jun 28, 2020
COdeGenesis:

You better learn.

Galatians 1:12-16
New International Version
12 I did not receive it from any man,(A) nor was I taught it; rather, I received it by revelation(B) from Jesus Christ.(C)

13 For you have heard of my previous way of life in Judaism,(D) how intensely I persecuted the church of God(E) and tried to destroy it.(F) 14 I was advancing in Judaism beyond many of my own age among my people and was extremely zealous(G) for the traditions of my fathers.(H) 15 But when God, who set me apart from my mother’s womb(I) and called me(J) by his grace, was pleased 16 to reveal his Son in me so that I might preach him among the Gentiles,(K) my immediate response was not to consult any human being.(L)

Rather you are the olodo and coconut head who cannot read to comprehend.
My first line says " there should be a limit " Google the word limit , it will help.
Which of Paul's words in those verses you quoted sound insensitive, extreme , immoral, bizzare and strange to you. In fact, he was ignorantly fighting for God which was the way they practised Judaism. Equivalent to a Muslim narrating his overzealousness for God.

I thought you would show me the scripture where Paul mentioned that he slept with people's wives , raped people's daughters and gave graphic details of how he did them.

Oversabi Bible scholar
Re: Preaching Etiquette by Number2(m): 10:14am On Jun 28, 2020
There should be a limit on how pastor's share their negative past life.

Preach Christ and not your Past.
Even God does not refer to your past mistakes... Why talk about what God is not talking about?

1 Like

Re: Preaching Etiquette by Nobody: 10:15am On Jun 28, 2020
[quote author=seyi360 post=91155708][/quote]

Hmm... And how many pastors have you seen going the extreme? Most of them I know only hint on it but as for giving details like " I used to drink human blood" I don't think any pastor has ever done that as that would be gross.

The only etiquette i noticed some of them are beginning to violate is the use of fowl language... Like saying " he's a mad man" or "hes a stupid man" or saying " some Christians are foolish " I dont think its right to use such fowl language on the pulpit. And as thus should be called to order by sending out these observations on social media platforms where they can see it and make necessary adjustments. Including yours too if there are actually pastors going the extreme with details of their past excapades.
Re: Preaching Etiquette by seyi360(m): 10:15am On Jun 28, 2020
COdeGenesis:

Again, read to understand. Don't inject your predisposed prejudiced perception into this topic.
Re: Preaching Etiquette by afecgivers: 10:15am On Jun 28, 2020
What of those telling you how they visited native doctors for power...I don't want to mention names. Go back back and check your pastors past.
Re: Preaching Etiquette by COdeGenesis: 10:16am On Jun 28, 2020
DennisEche:

Pls learn the difference between talking of his past success and achievement and a preacher talking of how he was a stud in the past.

You are not still getting it wrong. It all depends on the purpose. We all do it. We tell someone of our past, one we not proud of, we do it to let people know it doesnt really pay to live such a life and if I can stop it and become someone better, you can
Re: Preaching Etiquette by Nobody: 10:17am On Jun 28, 2020
Kobojunkie:

I think op is wrong sometimes most sinners feel that their sin is the greatest until they hear a preacher who feel so deep into sin but was still saved.....its advised to preach according to the inspiration of the Holy spirit
Re: Preaching Etiquette by Nobody: 10:17am On Jun 28, 2020
[quote author=seyi360 post=91155708][/quote]

Hmm... And how many pastors have you seen going the extreme? Most of them I know only hint on it but as for giving details like " I used to drink human blood" I don't think any pastor has ever done that as that would be gross.

The only etiquette i noticed some of them are beginning to violate is the use of fowl language... Like saying " he's a mad man" or "hes a stupid man" or saying " some Christians are foolish " I dont think its right to use such fowl language on the pulpit. And as thus should be called to order by sending out these observations on social media platforms where they can see it and make necessary adjustments. Including yours too if there are actually pastors going the extreme with details of their past excapades.
Re: Preaching Etiquette by seyi360(m): 10:18am On Jun 28, 2020
Eulalia:

You certainly haven't listened to a long list of Pastors, there are many who go extreme. Not necessarily the superstars you know
Re: Preaching Etiquette by SmartyPants(m): 10:18am On Jun 28, 2020
MuttleyLaff:

"All things are lawful, but not all things are profitable.
All things are lawful, but not all things edify.
"
- 1 Corinthians 10:23

Not every publicly shared sinful past is good or OK for congregational consumption. Maybe privately, you can tell about it, as of when its appropriate, well judged and suitable to do so

Paul spoke in detail of his past transgressions.

If you think there is something wrong with pastors doing so, then come with scriptures not strong opinions.
Re: Preaching Etiquette by COdeGenesis: 10:18am On Jun 28, 2020
seyi360:

Again, read to understand. Don't inject your predisposed prejudiced perception into this topic.

Uncle, I have seen that you not smart. You cant portray your points in a lucid manner. So just avoid my mentions since you think you know it all and you are not ready to learn and grow.
Re: Preaching Etiquette by eagleonearth(m): 10:18am On Jun 28, 2020
seyi360:

When a preacher says

Paul also said he was the worst of all sinners. It's not being proud of your past but demonstration of the great grace of God and baseness of a life without Christ. Please be guided.
Re: Preaching Etiquette by Nobody: 10:20am On Jun 28, 2020
seyi360:

You certainly haven't listened to a long list of Pastors, there are many who go extreme. Not necessarily the superstars you know

Ok. If thats the case, then they need to be called to order.
Re: Preaching Etiquette by DennisEche(m): 10:22am On Jun 28, 2020
COdeGenesis:

You are not still getting it wrong. It all depends on the purpose. We all do it. We tell someone of our past, one we not proud of, we do it to let people know it doesnt really pay to live such a life and if I can stop it and become someone better, you can
Coming from a preacher on the altar is uncalled for. Some might hear such and would want to try it, by saying if the pastor can do such and repent why not him/her.
I rest my case , my last response to you.
Shalom

1 Like

Re: Preaching Etiquette by COdeGenesis: 10:23am On Jun 28, 2020
I said you are an olodo and you are very unintelligent with a big coconut head. I am right.
See portion of the bible below when Paul was telling christians how he killed them and wanted to put them in chains.

Acts 22
New Life Version
Paul Tells of His Past Life
22 Paul said, “Brothers and fathers, listen to what I have to say to you.” 2 When they heard him speak to them in their own language, they stopped making noise. Then he said,

3 “I am a Jew. I was born in the city of Tarsus in the country of Cilicia. When I was a young man, I lived here in Jerusalem. I went to Gamaliel’s school and learned all about the Law of our early fathers. I worked hard for God as you all do today.

4 “I worked hard and killed men and women who believed as I believe today. I put them in chains and sent them to prison. 5 The head religious leader and the leaders of the people can tell you this is true. I got letters from them to take to our Jewish brothers in the city of Damascus. I was going there to put the Christians in chains and bring them to Jerusalem where they would be beaten.

seyi360:

Rather you are the olodo and coconut head who cannot read to comprehend.
My first line says " there should be a limit " Google the word limit , it will help.
Which of Paul's words in those verses you quoted sound insensitive, extreme , immoral, bizzare and strange to you. In fact, he was ignorantly fighting for God which was the way they practised Judaism. Equivalent to a Muslim narrating his overzealousness for God.

I thought you would show me the scripture where Paul mentioned that he slept with people's wives , raped people's daughters and gave graphic details of how he did them.

Oversabi Bible scholar
Re: Preaching Etiquette by seyi360(m): 10:27am On Jun 28, 2020
samwash:
From my own view, some Church members or pple may think that becox they are so deep into sin that God can never forgive them of their atrocities.
Hearing the past testimonies of the Man of God,their hope is jacked alive, they make the decision of salvation & their life is turned around.
Its the context of narrating their past life.
@op, what of the Pastors that always narrate how they have encounter with God one on one or how God delivered them from accident of Major destruction.
Nothing actually wrong wit the act ,'' where there's no testimony, there's no liberty''.

I insist, there should be a limit. Discretion is the key word here. The more the words, the less the meaning. Let the Holy Spirit do the conviction.
During personal counselling , a preacher may open up a bit more.
Re: Preaching Etiquette by COdeGenesis: 10:28am On Jun 28, 2020
DennisEche:

Coming from a preacher on the altar is uncalled for. Some might hear such and would want to try it, by saying if the pastor can do such and repent why not him/her.
I rest my case , my last response to you.
Shalom

There is just one of the cons? What about the pros. Those that are already in it. The probability of someone doing such is low. Because the pastor would be intelligent enough to let them know the pros and cons of such. The main catch would be those who are deep in it. If I hv 10 people and i told them I was once an armed robber and I was almost burnt to death. I show them my scars from the fire incidence, how many people would want to do it?? But if there are 3 arm robbers, there is a high probability one might repent. I dont know what to say again. You and seyi na same thing. The pros outweigh the cons
Re: Preaching Etiquette by seyi360(m): 10:29am On Jun 28, 2020
COdeGenesis:
I said you are an olodo and you are very unintelligent with a big coconut head. I am right.
See portion of the bible below when Paul was telling christians how he killed them and wanted to put them in chains.

Acts 22
New Life Version
Paul Tells of His Past Life
22 Paul said, “Brothers and fathers, listen to what I have to say to you.” 2 When they heard him speak to them in their own language, they stopped making noise. Then he said,

3 “I am a Jew. I was born in the city of Tarsus in the country of Cilicia. When I was a young man, I lived here in Jerusalem. I went to Gamaliel’s school and learned all about the Law of our early fathers. I worked hard for God as you all do today.

4 “I worked hard and killed men and women who believed as I believe today. I put them in chains and sent them to prison. 5 The head religious leader and the leaders of the people can tell you this is true. I got letters from them to take to our Jewish brothers in the city of Damascus. I was going there to put the Christians in chains and bring them to Jerusalem where they would be beaten.

You ain't worth it, you have comprehension issues.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

If You.Are To Spend One Day With One Bible Character, Who Would It Be? / What Are Some Differences Between Judaism Christianity And Islam? / Bishopric crisis: Mbaise Catholics say no to the Pope

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.