Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,405 members, 7,836,626 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 10:43 AM

Preaching Etiquette - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Preaching Etiquette (26706 Views)

Preaching Etiquette As A Guest Speaker / See The Church Where A Reverend Father Was Spotted Preaching That Has Gone Viral / Examining Talk That Jehovah's Witnesses Are The Only Ones Preaching Out There (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Preaching Etiquette by Nobody: 10:31am On Jun 28, 2020
Kobojunkie:

So it is wrong for followers of Jesus Christ to admit they too had a sin-fillled past like every one else? undecided undecided

You don't need too many details. Reason?
If, as often is the case, you relapse and commit any of those mistakes again, people will conclude you never felt remorse for them and you are doing them habitually. Confess to God and an accountability partner. Most likely, your spouse.

1 Like

Re: Preaching Etiquette by Ikennamurphy: 10:31am On Jun 28, 2020
ednut1:
The perfect pastor image today is one who was oncr in the world. You can't do anything about it.
Lol.. So even u didn't understand what the op is saying... Nawa oo undecided

1 Like

Re: Preaching Etiquette by VictorOluwaseun(m): 10:33am On Jun 28, 2020
@ code Genesis
You can just correct seyi without an insult now..
If your fellow brother made a mistakes,you could just correct him in meekness not arrogantly

1 Like

Re: Preaching Etiquette by COdeGenesis: 10:34am On Jun 28, 2020
seyi360:

You ain't worth it, you have comprehension issues.

Like i said you dont have any valid scriptures to back up your points. Of course, you are unintelligent that is why. In conclusion, the pros outweigh the cons. In future when you are dealing with a stubborn kid or relation, you would understand why some people bring in these details. Shalom
Re: Preaching Etiquette by COdeGenesis: 10:36am On Jun 28, 2020
VictorOluwaseun:
@ code Genesis
If your fellow brother made a mistakes,you could just correct him in meekness not arrogantly

It is annoying now. The seyi guy is full of himself when he doesnt know anything. I have left his case to his pastor. That is why he is having issues with his pastor style of preaching.
Re: Preaching Etiquette by seyi360(m): 10:37am On Jun 28, 2020
COdeGenesis:

Uncle, I have seen that you not smart. You cant portray your points in a lucid manner. So just avoid my mentions since you think you know it all and you are not ready to learn and grow.

It's crystal clear as the star studded heaven that you are deprived of the capacity to elucidate your thoughts without getting dirty. It's a gene thing, God help you.
Re: Preaching Etiquette by TOPCRUISE(m): 10:38am On Jun 28, 2020
If Apostle Paul glorified God by speaking about his past life, I don't know why people of this generation feel insulted by that action.

When someone is led by the spirit to say something, confess or reveal a secret and thereafter explain and unravel how he got out by salvation and deliverance to the congregation. It is meant to edify to listeners and not to insult the congregation

2 Likes

Re: Preaching Etiquette by seyi360(m): 10:40am On Jun 28, 2020
VictorOluwaseun:
@ code Genesis

There's actually nothing to correct in my post, if he differs in his opinion, he has the right.
Re: Preaching Etiquette by seyi360(m): 10:41am On Jun 28, 2020
[quote author=COdeGenesis post=91156815]

It is annoying now. The seyi guy is full of himself when he doesnt know anything. I have left his case to his pastor. That is why he is having issues with his pastor style of preaching. [/quote

Professor of Theology, who knows it all, well done.
Re: Preaching Etiquette by seyi360(m): 10:45am On Jun 28, 2020
COdeGenesis:

Like i said you dont have any valid scriptures to back up your points. Of course, you are unintelligent that is why. In conclusion, the pros outweigh the cons. In future when you are dealing with a stubborn kid or relation, you would understand why some people bring in these details. Shalom

I have bigger fish to fry, don't have time for shrimps
Re: Preaching Etiquette by professore(m): 10:46am On Jun 28, 2020
Nice
Re: Preaching Etiquette by gly(m): 10:47am On Jun 28, 2020
COdeGenesis:

You big be olodo. Coconut head. U read thebible upside down. You just cut one verse without following the story. Paul was dwelling on the present, of course why lock him up when he has done nothing. This is a direct opposite of what the topic is, In Galatians 1 vs 13 - 14 Paul talks about his past. Even in organisations as a leader when you want to motivate unserious workers, you coulf site urself as an example and explain your past.You could tell them there is nothing profitable in what they are presently doing and if they want to be successful in their position there is neex for change. It is done everywhere not only in churches and it is done to motivate people.Even in your family, it will get to a point you would tell you children of your past and how what they are doing doesnt pay them

Alas! Thanks CodeGenesis!
OP draw counsel from this.
Do not be lopsided in your arguments and facts submission. The key word here is moderation and when to strike balance in leading with the ultimate goal of bringing many to Christ.
My intended statement is not insult please.
Re: Preaching Etiquette by Amucha: 10:48am On Jun 28, 2020
MuttleyLaff:

Whats your problem? Why are you so ever truculent, hmm?
The guy OP, is talking about try to be sensitive whenever drawing up past escapades because they might be people in the audience still trying to deal with the past of theirs they aren't proud of and so shoved to the remotest part of their mind so not to relive or remember it and you've gone gung ho asking him, if its wrong for followers of Jesus Christ to admit they too had a sin-fillled past like every one else.

How you managed to overlook or ignore the intro "There should be a limit to what a preacher says about his past life especially while preaching..." is baffling. Limit, fyi, means boundary(ies)

There is no limit to confession. There is no limit when it comes to mentioning the past sins of a preacher as an illustration to how bad he/she was in the past but saved by grace. Hallelujah!.

Some in the audience might think/feel that they have gone so deep in several sins that they can't be forgiven . such stories from preachers show that God can forgive any kind of sin
Re: Preaching Etiquette by gly(m): 10:49am On Jun 28, 2020
TOPCRUISE:
If Apostle Paul glorified God by speaking about his past life, I don't know why people of this generation feel insulted by that action.

When someone is led by the spirit to say something, confess or reveal a secret and thereafter explain and unravel how got out by salvation and deliverance to the congregation. It is meant to edify to listeners and not to insult the congregation

That is it!!!

1 Like

Re: Preaching Etiquette by MrNipplesLover(m): 10:50am On Jun 28, 2020
Eulalia:
The pastor is not said to he confessing his sins here but
trying to make them feel at home and free from the minds
condemnation especially as baby Christians.

trying to make me feel at home by highlighting the evil deeds you have done - murdering, fornicating, etc?

naah! you can't make me feel at home by picking those evil things you have done in the past as a pastor.

why not just say that you were ones a sinner and an evil doer?

other than telling me how u used to fornicate, murder, etc.

I won't take you serious and I will fear you more cos I would think you are using your pastorism to cover up while you commit the evil when it is dark.

I great you, bro.

1 Like

Re: Preaching Etiquette by miketayo(m): 10:51am On Jun 28, 2020
seyi360:

Who is this?

Ur response to ur critics says alot, u just aired ur opinion about some and u r being very subjective about it.
Address their comments instead of saying who is this or you again. If obvious u don't know what u r talking about

A sin u can't say out loud means, u haven't gotten over it and not fully cleansed, and others won't learn from ur mistakes

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Preaching Etiquette by MrNipplesLover(m): 10:57am On Jun 28, 2020
MISSCONGENIALITY

how far?

happy Sunday.
Re: Preaching Etiquette by seyi360(m): 10:58am On Jun 28, 2020
miketayo:

Ur response to ur critics says alot, u just aired ur opinion about some and u r being very subjective about it.
Address their comments instead of saying who is this or you again. If obvious u don't know what u r talking about

A sin u can't say out loud means, u haven't gotten over it and not fully cleansed, and others won't learn from ur mistakes

So, calling the Op " olodo and coconut head "is a polite way to engage a conversation?
Without any shadow of ambiguity, your perception is twisted
Re: Preaching Etiquette by phemmyfour: 10:59am On Jun 28, 2020
seyi360:

There should be a limit to what a preacher says about his past life especially while preaching.
When a preacher says
"back in the days, I slept around with my mother's mates"
"I used to be a serial fornicator and rapist"
"I was a murderer and a burglar " etc

Really? And you're proud of such acts? I think that clearly is the height of ecclesiastical insensitivity.

Such unguarded statements has the tendency of poking unhealed wounds in the hearts of some of your listeners , opening you up to temptations and easily making you a victim of extended hatred.

You're called to be a healer, not a killer.
Ignorance, how does that translates to bring PROUD
Re: Preaching Etiquette by myk2mic: 11:02am On Jun 28, 2020
Dangrace01:
What I know is whenever pastors preach about past life what comes to my mind is so you have finished enjoying your life and have memorable experience and you don't want me to do my own and have my experience then repent.

Allow me to enjoy myself have experience then I can now repent.

U have captured it succently, that is y the op said u shld limit what u say abt ur past. Apostle Paul rarely talked about his past ,his focus was on his new life. If God does not talk about ur past or bring it up ,y shld you.

1 Like

Re: Preaching Etiquette by seyi360(m): 11:08am On Jun 28, 2020
gly:

Alas! Thanks CodeGenesis!
OP draw counsel from this.
Do not be lopsided in your arguments and facts submission. The key word here is moderation and when to strike balance in leading with the ultimate goal of bringing many to Christ.
My intended statement is not insult please.

There is no counsel to draw from codegenesis' submission, my post encapulates the needful. It started with " there should be a limit" and that seals it. Whatever a preacher says , should have limits.
Re: Preaching Etiquette by miketayo(m): 11:10am On Jun 28, 2020
seyi360:

So, calling the Op " olodo and coconut head "is a polite way to engage a conversation?
Without any shadow of ambiguity, your perception is twisted

That's all u read from his comment, looks like you are running away from whr I see it, and it's not just him many others. U really are not sure of what ur talking about
Re: Preaching Etiquette by yconcrete: 11:14am On Jun 28, 2020
It is a shameful thing to do but then .. pls I need help financially. I have never done this before but this is what the pandemic has led me to. Pls good Samaritans in the house should assist me with any amount.

First bank.... .. . ....3049939508.

And in case you are in Lagos and can offer me any menial job pending the time schools will resume and normalcy restored, because I work as a teacher in a private school.., I will gladly accept the offer. My contact no is 09084696055 Thank you sir,/ma
Re: Preaching Etiquette by Angelfrost(m): 11:15am On Jun 28, 2020
seyi360:
Preachers must stop glorifying sin

Well, not every preacher makes such references with the conscious or unconscious intent to glorify sin. Some simply do it with the sole purpose of correcting, admonishing, and warning.
A preacher can glorify sin without necessarily alluding to his sinful past, or that of others.

That said... You are right about homiletic boundaries. Constantly rehashing or retelling past habits can become offensive to certain members of a preacher's audience.

1 Like

Re: Preaching Etiquette by seyi360(m): 11:17am On Jun 28, 2020
COdeGenesis:

It is annoying now. The seyi guy is full of himself when he doesnt know anything. I have left his case to his pastor. That is why he is having issues with his pastor style of preaching.

"He doesn't know anything" really? Empty barrels make the loudest noise. Your narcissistic self is dangerous to you.

"I have left his case to his Pastor"- You are clearly hallucinating here

"That is why he is having issues with his pastor's style of preaching" - do you even know me?

I guess you should come off your horse of pride and puncture your over bloated self .
Re: Preaching Etiquette by Angelfrost(m): 11:18am On Jun 28, 2020
seyi360:

There's actually nothing to correct in my post, if he differs in his opinion, he has the right.

Whoa!!!... At the bold, take heed to thyself!!!... Only God is infallible!!! Please, be guided!!!
Re: Preaching Etiquette by Nobody: 11:21am On Jun 28, 2020
MrNipplesLover:

trying to make me feel at home by highlighting the evil deeds you have done - murdering, fornicating, etc?

naah! you can't make me feel at home by picking those evil things you have done in the past as a pastor.

why not just say that you were ones a sinner and an evil doer?

other than telling me how u used to fornicate, murder, etc.

I won't take you serious and I will fear you more cos I would think you are using your pastorism to cover up while you commit the evil when it is dark.

I great you, bro.

Hmm... You dont seem to get it. Do you?

Ok.
I'm not a bro though.

1 Like

Re: Preaching Etiquette by seyi360(m): 11:21am On Jun 28, 2020
Angelfrost:

Well, not every preacher makes such references with the conscious or unconscious intent to glorify sin. Some simply do it with the sole purpose of correcting, admonishing, and warning.
A preacher can glorify sin without necessarily alluding to his sinful past, or that of others.

That said... You are right about homiletic boundaries. Constantly rehashing or retelling past habits can become offensive to certain members of a preacher's audience.

You are on point
Re: Preaching Etiquette by MrNipplesLover(m): 11:24am On Jun 28, 2020
Eulalia:

Hmm... You dont seem to get it. Do you?

Ok.
I'm not a bro though

maybe I'm seeing it differently.

@bolded.... oh, sorry. just checked now.

nice lips, though. cheesy wink
Re: Preaching Etiquette by OJURONGBE1(m): 11:24am On Jun 28, 2020
seyi360:

There should be a limit to what a preacher says about his past life especially while preaching.
When a preacher says
"back in the days, I slept around with my mother's mates"
"I used to be a serial fornicator and rapist"
"I was a murderer and a burglar " etc

Really? And you're proud of such acts? I think that clearly is the height of ecclesiastical insensitivity.

Such unguarded statements has the tendency of poking unhealed wounds in the hearts of some of your listeners , opening you up to temptations and easily making you a victim of extended hatred.

You're called to be a healer, not a killer.

Pastors who gives sermon using their past experience wanted it to be centered on morals and spirituality.
If you read through Galatians 1.13-16 where Apostle Paul told the people of Galatians how he persecuted and put to death church of God.
But if you're still not comfortable with it Apostle Paul said in Philippians 1:18 that it does not matter the motive they used , the most important thing is Christ is preached.
Re: Preaching Etiquette by seyi360(m): 11:26am On Jun 28, 2020
Angelfrost:

Whoa!!!... At the bold, take heed to thyself!!!... Only God is infallible!!! Please, be guided!!!

Yes, only God is infallible. All men should take heed.
But as far as that submission is concerned, it is basic and simple to understand.
However, there is room to apply the principle of relativity.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Bishopric crisis: Mbaise Catholics say no to the Pope / If You.Are To Spend One Day With One Bible Character, Who Would It Be? / What Are Some Differences Between Judaism Christianity And Islam?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.