Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,114 members, 7,814,913 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:08 PM

Preaching Etiquette - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Preaching Etiquette (26621 Views)

Preaching Etiquette As A Guest Speaker / See The Church Where A Reverend Father Was Spotted Preaching That Has Gone Viral / Examining Talk That Jehovah's Witnesses Are The Only Ones Preaching Out There (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Preaching Etiquette by seyi360(m): 3:48pm On Jun 27, 2020
There should be a limit to what a preacher says about his past life especially while preaching.
When a preacher says
"back in the days, I slept around with my mother's mates"
"I used to be a serial fornicator and rapist"
"I was a murderer and a burglar " etc

Really? And you're proud of such acts? I think that clearly is the height of ecclesiastical insensitivity.

Such unguarded statements has the tendency of poking unhealed wounds in the hearts of some of your listeners , opening you up to temptations and easily making you a victim of extended hatred.

You're called to be a healer, not a killer.

113 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Preaching Etiquette by Kobojunkie: 4:05pm On Jun 27, 2020
seyi360:

There should be a limit to what a preacher says about his past life especially while preaching.
When a preacher says
"back in the days, I slept around with my mother's mates"
"I used to be a serial fornicator and rapist"
"I was a murderer and a burglar " etc

Really? And you're proud of such acts? ....

You're called to be a healer, not a killer.
So it is wrong for followers of Jesus Christ to admit they too had a sin-fillled past like every one else? undecided undecided

72 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Preaching Etiquette by seyi360(m): 4:43pm On Jun 27, 2020
Kobojunkie:

So it is wrong for followers of Jesus Christ to admit they too had a sin-fillled past like every one else? undecided undecided

You again?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Preaching Etiquette by Kobojunkie: 4:51pm On Jun 27, 2020
seyi360:

You again?
is this really your response to the question I asked of your post ? undecided

53 Likes 1 Share

Re: Preaching Etiquette by MuttleyLaff: 5:28pm On Jun 27, 2020
seyi360:
You again?

Kobojunkie:
Whats your problem? Why are you so ever truculent, hmm?
The guy OP, is talking about try to be sensitive whenever drawing up past escapades because they might be people in the audience still trying to deal with the past of theirs they aren't proud of and so shoved to the remotest part of their mind so not to relive or remember it and you've gone gung ho asking him, if its wrong for followers of Jesus Christ to admit they too had a sin-fillled past like every one else.

How you managed to overlook or ignore the intro "There should be a limit to what a preacher says about his past life especially while preaching..." is baffling. Limit, fyi, means boundary(ies)

93 Likes 1 Share

Re: Preaching Etiquette by seyi360(m): 5:32pm On Jun 27, 2020
Kobojunkie:

Sincerely, you have identity issues and you need help.

5 Likes

Re: Preaching Etiquette by Kobojunkie: 5:34pm On Jun 27, 2020
seyi360:

identity issues? I simply asked a question of your own post there. Since when does that amount to an identity issue? undecided

Why am i the one here who needs help? undecided

17 Likes

Re: Preaching Etiquette by MuttleyLaff: 5:36pm On Jun 27, 2020
seyi360:
I couldn't agree more

3 Likes

Re: Preaching Etiquette by seyi360(m): 7:36pm On Jun 27, 2020
Preachers must stop glorifying sin

10 Likes

Re: Preaching Etiquette by Kobojunkie: 7:43pm On Jun 27, 2020
seyi360:
how do preachers glorify sin? By telling you of their sinful past? undecided

Did Jesus Christ command us never to speak of our past once we become His? undecided

13 Likes

Re: Preaching Etiquette by MuttleyLaff: 8:14pm On Jun 27, 2020
seyi360:

Kobojunkie:
how do preachers glorify sin? By telling you of their sinful past? undecided

Did Jesus Christ command us never to speak of our past once we become His? undecided
"All things are lawful, but not all things are profitable.
All things are lawful, but not all things edify.
"
- 1 Corinthians 10:23

Not every publicly shared sinful past is good or OK for congregational consumption. Maybe privately, you can tell about it, as of when its appropriate, well judged and suitable to do so

40 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Preaching Etiquette by petra1(m): 8:33pm On Jun 27, 2020
Talking about ones past may be beneficial and may be destructive . The testifier is supposed to comunicate such only when its necessary. It is only needed why dealing with issue of self condemnation and Gods grace to forgive and cleansed. And should such old life should not be glorified in the testimony. Eg . " we used to enjoy those days"

41 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Preaching Etiquette by Nobody: 8:47pm On Jun 27, 2020
seyi360:

You again?

Lol grin grin grin. What about him? Please answer my bros o. grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Preaching Etiquette by seyi360(m): 8:53pm On Jun 27, 2020
Eulalia:

Lol grin grin grin. What about him? Please answer my bros o. grin

Your Bros no dey reason matter wella, I tire for him stalking o

3 Likes

Re: Preaching Etiquette by seyi360(m): 9:15pm On Jun 27, 2020
2 Corinthians 7:2
[2]Receive us; we have wronged no man, we have corrupted no man, we have defrauded no man.

Rather than dwelling on his notorious past as a persecutor of Christians to impress ,the great Apostle Paul talked more about his regenerated new self and focused on the things before him.

In fact, in the scripture above, he denied his wayward past.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Preaching Etiquette by Nobody: 9:18pm On Jun 27, 2020
seyi360:

Your Bros no dey reason matter wella, I tire for him stalking o

No now, not so. Hes only asking to get you clearly. No harm in that.
Re: Preaching Etiquette by MuttleyLaff: 9:47pm On Jun 27, 2020
seyi360:
2 Corinthians 7:2
[2]Receive us; we have wronged no man, we have corrupted no man, we have defrauded no man.

Rather than dwelling on his notorious past as a persecutor of Christians to impress ,the great Apostle Paul talked more about his regenerated new self and focused on the things before him.

In fact, in the scripture above, he denied his wayward past.
Dont mind the chap, he pokes his nose in almost all threads looking for where to punch holes in them.

Nobody takes pleasure or glory in narrating their past. I remember the last time I did, it was uncomfortable even starting, that I had to put out a disclaimer ahead before starting, saying I am not proud of what I did, when I was rotten in the world, but hey so, so and so happened, ob la di, ob la da

13 Likes

Re: Preaching Etiquette by orunto27: 6:52am On Jun 28, 2020
Many a times, some Pastors overpreach. Superfluity, when they are to preach from Wisdom Knowledge and Understanding of God's WORDS.

2 Likes

Re: Preaching Etiquette by seyi360(m): 8:23am On Jun 28, 2020
Eulalia:

No now, not so. Hes only asking to get you clearly. No harm in that.

May be I should have interpreted my post to an indigenous language for him to understand
Re: Preaching Etiquette by TeejayBlaq(m): 9:16am On Jun 28, 2020
Happy Sunday to y'all!!!!

1 Like

Re: Preaching Etiquette by FuckHomophobes: 9:16am On Jun 28, 2020
cheesy. Tell them o... That's how they'll be tickling one fancy.

They don't know there are some curious members who might try them out.

Mtcheeew.... Oya it's Sunday morning, let's make some mullar.

Do you need Premium VPN logins?

https://bit dot ly/30ZFW80

Don't change the password o

3 Likes

Re: Preaching Etiquette by davidmoyes(m): 9:16am On Jun 28, 2020
It clearly means nobody is holy. He’s not proud of his past. Only admitting that no one is beyond sin and it’s not too late for anyone to turn a new leaf. As it’s always said, lead by example.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Preaching Etiquette by EwuGambia: 9:18am On Jun 28, 2020
Go and tell pastor Adeboye, shebi he said he used to be a playboy...with many galfriends undecided
But then i think there is a need to make the sinners know that you once used to be like them, and you were saved (if you were really saved undecided)

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Preaching Etiquette by ArticleBeast: 9:19am On Jun 28, 2020
It is clear most people who create threads in this section are just church goers and not true Christians. If you still worry about these things then you need the preaching yourself.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Preaching Etiquette by Actuator: 9:19am On Jun 28, 2020
I disagree
Re: Preaching Etiquette by Dreyton36: 9:20am On Jun 28, 2020
seyi360:

. Just answer his question, why tryna wash him
Re: Preaching Etiquette by DennisEche(m): 9:22am On Jun 28, 2020
Seyi360 big ups to you for bring on this topic. Any time I hear a preacher boasting about his women excesses in the past , it sounds so awkward and not necessary.

6 Likes

Re: Preaching Etiquette by ednut1(m): 9:22am On Jun 28, 2020
The perfect pastor image today is one who was oncr in the world. You can't do anything about it.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Shiloh 2022: Covenant Highways (Live Thread) / Was Jesus Born On December 25? Is December 25 Jesus' Birthday? / Pastor Chris Oyakhilome In Agbada/Native (Picture)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.