Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,579 members, 7,837,186 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 06:24 PM

Preaching Etiquette - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Preaching Etiquette (26712 Views)

Preaching Etiquette As A Guest Speaker / See The Church Where A Reverend Father Was Spotted Preaching That Has Gone Viral / Examining Talk That Jehovah's Witnesses Are The Only Ones Preaching Out There (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Preaching Etiquette by Kobojunkie: 2:02pm On Jun 28, 2020
ChoCho54:
In my opinion, if a preacher must say things about his past, he must choose his words carefully because, the audience is made up of people with diverse understanding.

Somebody in the congregation may start doubting if the preacher had truly repented and if he had the authority to even preach to them. This could breed secret hatred, gossip and rumors in the house of God.

If an Islamic preacher tries such, he may be stoned dead right there and then.

If the preacher preaching is all controlled by his own will tp be seen as legit by his audience, then what part does the Spirit of God play in all of it? undecided
Is the preacher even of God if his words are carefully chosen by him and not chosen for him by the Spirit of God who is meant to give us what to say whenever we stand to preach?
Re: Preaching Etiquette by icewinz(m): 2:03pm On Jun 28, 2020
A preacher must feel the infirmities of his people, stating your past life gives congregant hope that they can be able to come out from whatsoever mess they are into thereby making you a refrence point of a man that's a product of God's mercy and grace.

The only thing worng with it is when you state your past life boastfully bragging about the feat you achieved in the past.
You can never be an effective minister to God's people when you dont feel there infirmities [weakness]

paul many times in his epistles will say 'we in times past' and will state what he did in the past....your beign a new creature in christ doesn't usurp the wrongs you did in the past.
Re: Preaching Etiquette by Kobojunkie: 2:04pm On Jun 28, 2020
Viciheaka:
I think op is wrong sometimes most sinners feel that their sin is the greatest until they hear a preacher who feel so deep into sin but was still saved.....its advised to preach according to the inspiration of the Holy spirit
Precisely!
Let the Spirit of God lead...He knows what needs to be heard and by whom.

When preachers take it on themselves to pick and choose what to say and what not to say, theu end up pleasing people and not God.

1 Like

Re: Preaching Etiquette by honeyB2018: 2:05pm On Jun 28, 2020
seyi360:

There should be a limit to what a preacher says about his past life especially while preaching.
When a preacher says
"back in the days, I slept around with my mother's mates"
"I used to be a serial fornicator and rapist"
"I was a murderer and a burglar " etc

Really? And you're proud of such acts? I think that clearly is the height of ecclesiastical insensitivity.

Such unguarded statements has the tendency of poking unhealed wounds in the hearts of some of your listeners , opening you up to temptations and easily making you a victim of extended hatred.

You're called to be a healer, not a killer.

You are not right in your 777, but one needs to be mindful of his audience.77
Apostle Paul, made reference to his past in Act. 22:1-7. Gal.1:13
In my views, this is to encourage those out there, who for any reason, might think there's no hope for them again to be saved. But it must be done with caution, not to harden the hearts of stubborn folks from being saved. My opinion though.

1 Like

Re: Preaching Etiquette by Preciouschinwe(f): 2:08pm On Jun 28, 2020
seyi360:

There should be a limit to what a preacher says about his past life especially while preaching.
When a preacher says

Really? And you're proud of such acts? I think that clearly is the height of ecclesiastical insensitivity.

Such unguarded statements has the tendency of poking unhealed wounds in the hearts of some of your listeners , opening you up to temptations and easily making you a victim of extended hatred.

glad I'm not alone. I find it embarrassing especially their past escapedes. I just hope the preachers on NL would learn from this

1 Like

Re: Preaching Etiquette by Kobojunkie: 2:08pm On Jun 28, 2020
MrNipplesLover:

confess your sins to Jesus/God, not to me, pls.
Thank you, Jesus.
But this is not a confession at all. This is simply an admission that you too once struggled with some of the same ills those who you address are likely struggling with.
Honestly, when led by the Spirit of God, it is not even an option to pick and chose what you willl reveal. Sometimes it is like a tap is opened and.you just pour it alll out with no control and in the end, you learn to allow God do His thing with what He has caused you to release.
Re: Preaching Etiquette by seyi360(m): 2:09pm On Jun 28, 2020
COdeGenesis:

You better go n fry your fish, it seems that is what you can do best. Sense is really far from you. You are highly unintelligent.

Your brain is on lockdown
Re: Preaching Etiquette by MISSCONGENIALITY(f): 2:10pm On Jun 28, 2020
MrNipplesLover:

cheesy

well, today isn't feeling like Sunday (Sun-Day) cos it is raining over here and the weather is very friendly, u know wink

as I remember you, it is a good sunday-feeling.

@bolded.... have for you wetin?

abi na me suppose ask you how far, anything for me? smiley
Sorry man. Its Sunday at my end. There's sun and everywhere is beginning to heat up. Me just dey here dey watch film. My Sundays are for me myself and the movies. Right here in my house so I've got nothing for you. grin

1 Like

Re: Preaching Etiquette by Kobojunkie: 2:12pm On Jun 28, 2020
OkikiOluwa1:
You admit that wrong to God directly not to the public.
See the last paragraph big the op. Thats the reason why you can't just be exposing anyhow
He already knows your every sins. Read the book of Acts to see that through the lead of His Spirit, God uses our story when He sends us to preach to others. He did it when He used Paul.
Re: Preaching Etiquette by seyi360(m): 2:12pm On Jun 28, 2020
gly:

Okay, If you say so.
I wish you the best

All the best
Re: Preaching Etiquette by honeyB2018: 2:15pm On Jun 28, 2020
seyi360:

When a preacher says

Really? And you're proud of such acts? I think

that clearly is the height of ecclesiastical

You are not right in your assertion. Though there might be the need for caution.
Apostle Paul made reference to his past in some of his preachings. Act. 22:1-7, Gal. 1:13
The purpose, is to give hope to those, who might have the feeling that they are beyond redemption. Like I said earlier, it calls for caution, not to harden the minds of the stubborn sinners.
Re: Preaching Etiquette by RedPhoenix: 2:34pm On Jun 28, 2020
seyi360:

When a preacher says

Baby claiming to be wise
Re: Preaching Etiquette by seyi360(m): 2:49pm On Jun 28, 2020
RedPhoenix:

Baby claiming to be wise

Toddler exhibiting genetic stupidity
Re: Preaching Etiquette by COdeGenesis: 2:54pm On Jun 28, 2020
cooltola:

You still missing the point. Confession while preaching does not mean going into details on how a preacher used to do this or that. Not everyone in the church is matured and some are still baby. Imagine a pastor preaching how God deliver him from fornication, but he started naming specific area e.g i used to go xyz joint in xyz city where i was younger to get women but thank God i am saved. For someone in the church who is not matured enough he might be tempted to go there and check the place out. That is my point

While will someone go there when the pastor cited people got HIV , some people lost their lives to cultist. You sef reason am now. But God saved him. E get as person go tell u him experience about bet9ja for instance how was once addicted and lost his car and marriage n children, even new people wey want go into am go fear
Re: Preaching Etiquette by ZooOga: 2:59pm On Jun 28, 2020
did you ever hear a pastor/preacher say that he used to seduce some fine babes in his hostel room back in his wild uni days before his divine calling? grin

Re: Preaching Etiquette by Myer(m): 3:11pm On Jun 28, 2020
MuttleyLaff:
"Be very careful, then, how you live--not as unwise but as wise,"
- Ephesians 5:15

"14And if anyone will not receive you or listen to your words,
shake off the dust from your feet when you leave that house or town
16Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves:
be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves
"
- Matthew 10:14 & 16

"Therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved,
clothe yourselves with hearts of compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.
"
- Colossians 3:12

"Do nothing out of selfish ambition or empty pride,
but in humility consider others more important than yourselves
"
- Philippians 2:3

Just a few sample verses talking of preaching etiquette and acceptable, good and polite behaviours.

As you may have noticed, I modified that knowing that preaching does come with some guidelines.
But the ones OP pointed out weren't scriptural .

Paul often mentioned how he persecuted (killed) Christosns even while preaching to other Christian's, some of whom were relatives of those he killed.

The bible also never failed to mention how Mary Magdalene was a woman who was delivered of 7 demons.

I understand OP is simply trying to preach in season knowing how sensitive everything has become in this #MeToo age , but then it would seem to contradict the scriptures.
Re: Preaching Etiquette by Nobody: 3:41pm On Jun 28, 2020
there was one interview one time i read in the defunct TELL magazine.back then my dad used to buy a lot of TELL and NEWSWEEK magazines.A pastor was being interviewed and he was just going on about how he was an armed robber in the past.How he used to shoot ppl to death and collect their belongings and how one incident he shot a baby in the head and baby"s brain splattered all over the sittingroom.I guess he was saying all this with pride.Anyway thats a big difference b/w nigeria and the civilised world.In the civilised world wether u pastor or not u go in for your crime but in nigeria if u are pastor then jesus has forgiven you hence the authorities has no right to punish u.u can brag about the crimes u commited ..nobody will touch u cos you God"s annointed.I bet all those catholic priests who abused alter boys in their younger years and are being arrested by the american authorites and also the authorities in europe if it were nigeria ppl will be shouting to the authorites to leave the priest alone sad.
Anyway happy sunday everybody cheesy
Re: Preaching Etiquette by Kobojunkie: 3:44pm On Jun 28, 2020
lefulefu:
there was one interview one time i read in the defunct TELL magazine.back then my dad used to buy a lot of TELL and NEWSWEEK magazines.A pastor was being interviewed and he was just going on about how he was an armed robber in the past.How he used to shoot ppl to death and collect their belongings and how one incident he shot a baby in the head and baby"s brain splattered all over the sittingroom.I guess he was saying all this with pride.Anyway thats a big difference b/w nigeria and the civilised world.In the civilised world wether u pastor or not u go in for your crime but in nigeria if u are pastor then jesus has forgiven you hence the authorities has no right to punish u.u can brag about the crimes u commited ..nobody will touch u cos you God"s annointed.I bet all those catholic priests who abused alter boys in their younger years and are being arrested by the american authorites and also the authorities in europe if it were nigeria ppl will be shouting to the authorites to leave the priest alone sad.
Anyway happy sunday everybody cheesy

Hell no! You have to serve the time abeg. I doubt a preacher lead by the Spirit would boast of his pas crimes or even walk away from consequence s of said crime
Re: Preaching Etiquette by Nobody: 3:47pm On Jun 28, 2020
Kobojunkie:

Hell no! You have to serve the time abeg. I doubt a preacher lead by the Spirit would boast of his pas crimes or even walk away from consequence s of said crime
thats what some of the readers who reacted to the interview where saying..though some few were defending the pastor and saying the ususall jargon of touch not my anointed
Re: Preaching Etiquette by Nobody: 3:50pm On Jun 28, 2020
Dangrace01:
What I know is whenever pastors preach about past life what comes to my mind is so you have finished enjoying your life and have memorable experience and you don't want me to do my own and have my experience then repent.

Allow me to enjoy myself have experience then I can now repent.
u have a point grin grin grin grin
Re: Preaching Etiquette by cooltola(m): 4:04pm On Jun 28, 2020
COdeGenesis:

While will someone go there when the pastor cited people got HIV , some people lost their lives to cultist. You sef reason am now. But God saved him. E get as person go tell u him experience about bet9ja for instance how was once addicted and lost his car and marriage n children, even new people wey want go into am go fear

Because people still sin that is the reason. Common apple wey God tell Adam make e no chop. Na weitin he chop,and see weithin happen. I am sure you heard of how some people do things because of hunger or konja, then later they go blame Satan. The heart of man is evil , na God dey transform person.
Re: Preaching Etiquette by MrNipplesLover(m): 4:23pm On Jun 28, 2020
Kobojunkie:

But this is not a confession at all. This is simply an admission that you too once struggled with some of the same ills those who you address are likely struggling with.
Honestly, when led by the Spirit of God, it is not even an option to pick and chose what you willl reveal. Sometimes it is like a tap is opened and.you just pour it alll out with no control and in the end, you learn to allow God do His thing with what He has caused you to release.

the Koko be say, keep your past evil deeds between you and God and preach to people without scaring them. you were a murderer and you want to use that to preach?

oga, that would make people fear you more, thinking that you are still the same evil man who's just using pastorism to cover up while still go back and commit the evil when it is dark.

preach your preach and don't scare people with you evil deeds (past) thinking you are doing the Lord's work.

stay blessed, bro.
Re: Preaching Etiquette by MrNipplesLover(m): 4:29pm On Jun 28, 2020
MISSCONGENIALITY:
Sorry man. Its Sunday at my end. There's sun and everywhere is beginning to heat up. Me just dey here dey watch film. My Sundays are for me myself and the movies.

Right here in my house so I've got nothing for you. grin

this babe, you sure know how to turn thing upside down in order to deviate from where we ought to agree. na so u did the last time.

which country you dey wey sun dey heat up everywhere? grin

I have called people living in different areas today and they said the same thing that the rain dey fall no be small.

na ur own want come different abi? Lieeeees, I no go gree tongue

btw

to your last statement.

but, I didn't say I want to come to your house make u give me something naaah!

must I come to ur house ni?

there is always a better option joor. wink
Re: Preaching Etiquette by louiziana(m): 4:29pm On Jun 28, 2020
OP leave them preachers alone for now. If one confesses his sins while preaching and later backslides, at least we would know what such person is capable of. That was how one guy sharing the gospel told me he was once a paedophile, yeah thanks for the expo but I'll never be comfortable leaving him around my youngins in the nearest future.
Re: Preaching Etiquette by MrNipplesLover(m): 4:36pm On Jun 28, 2020
louiziana:
OP leave them preachers alone for now. If one confesses his sins while preaching and later backslides, at least we would know what such person is capable of. That was how one guy sharing the gospel told me he was once a paedophile, yeah thanks for the expo but I'll never be comfortable leaving him around my youngins in the nearest future.

the bolded got me grin grin grin grin

imagine make one woman come preach to me say she was once a LovePeddler/prostitute in her past.... grin

no matter what she tells me or preach to me, na how I go chop am go dey for my head (thank God, I don't chop for free), she go get paid straight up, no time. grin
Re: Preaching Etiquette by louiziana(m): 4:52pm On Jun 28, 2020
MrNipplesLover:

the bolded got me grin grin grin grin

imagine make one woman come preach to me say she was once a LovePeddler/prostitute in her past.... grin

no matter what she tells me or preach to me, na how I go chop am go dey for my head (thank God, I don't chop for free), she go get paid straight up, no time. grin

Yes you get the drift and that's the OP's angle. Share the good news and stop confessing your past sins that may haunt you later.

2 Likes

Re: Preaching Etiquette by seyi360(m): 5:08pm On Jun 28, 2020
COdeGenesis:

You better go n fry your fish, it seems that is what you can do best. Sense is really far from you. You are highly unintelligent.

Btw, what seminary or Bible college did you attend that gave you this false confidence that you know the Bible and the Op doesn't know anything?
Re: Preaching Etiquette by MISSCONGENIALITY(f): 5:12pm On Jun 28, 2020
MrNipplesLover:

this babe, you sure know how to turn thing upside down in order to deviate from where we ought to agree. na so u did the last time.

which country you dey wey sun dey heat up everywhere? grin

I have called people living in different areas today and they said the same thing that the rain dey fall no be small.

na ur own want come different abi? Lieeeees, I no go gree tongue

btw

to your last statement.

but, I didn't say I want to come to your house make u give me something naaah!

must I come to ur house ni?

there is always a better option joor. wink
On a more serious note, it's sunny here in enugu. It rained in the morning, everywhere was cold but from 1pm the sun took over.

Anyways, what better option so you have.? I'm all ears

1 Like

Re: Preaching Etiquette by MrNipplesLover(m): 6:04pm On Jun 28, 2020
louiziana:
Yes you get the drift and that's the OP's angle. Share the
good news and stop confessing your past sins that may
haunt you later.

dem no go gree. make person leave them to their own.

stay blessed, bro.

1 Like

Re: Preaching Etiquette by MrNipplesLover(m): 6:09pm On Jun 28, 2020
MISSCONGENIALITY:
On a more serious note, it's sunny here in enugu. It rained in the morning, everywhere was cold but from 1pm the sun took over.

Anyways, what better option so you have.? I'm all ears

ohh, really? na Enugu you dey, no wonder.
I was thinking u dey Lagos here with me ni ooh.

@bolded, since na Enugu you dey, the option for now na to "Stay Safe"

I might still call you up when a good religious topic come up here. wink I can see u are a good religious sister.
Re: Preaching Etiquette by louiziana(m): 6:18pm On Jun 28, 2020
MrNipplesLover:

dem no go gree. make person leave them to their own.

stay blessed, bro.

Stay blessed too brother.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

What Are Some Differences Between Judaism Christianity And Islam? / If You.Are To Spend One Day With One Bible Character, Who Would It Be? / My Encounter With My Religious Neighbor Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.