Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,552 members, 7,837,119 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 05:20 PM

Preaching Etiquette - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Preaching Etiquette (26711 Views)

Preaching Etiquette As A Guest Speaker / See The Church Where A Reverend Father Was Spotted Preaching That Has Gone Viral / Examining Talk That Jehovah's Witnesses Are The Only Ones Preaching Out There (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Preaching Etiquette by seyi360(m): 11:30am On Jun 28, 2020
miketayo:

That's all u read from his comment, looks like you are running away from whr I see it, and it's not just him many others. U really are not sure of what ur talking about

If opening up a conversation with insults mean nothing to you, I can't help you.
Re: Preaching Etiquette by Nobody: 11:30am On Jun 28, 2020
[quote author=MrNipplesLover post=91158317]

maybe I'm seeing it differently.

@bolded.... oh, sorry. just checked now
it's ok. People do that all the time. Maybe they think only guys contribute in religious matters.

nice lips, though. cheesy wink
hmm...

1 Like

Re: Preaching Etiquette by SocialJustice: 11:39am On Jun 28, 2020
seyi360:

You again?
Be sensible and answer the question. Ecclesiastical etiquette lecturer.
Re: Preaching Etiquette by Myer(m): 11:41am On Jun 28, 2020
MuttleyLaff:

Whats your problem? Why are you so ever truculent, hmm?
The guy OP, is talking about try to be sensitive whenever drawing up past escapades because they might be people in the audience still trying to deal with the past of theirs they aren't proud of and so shoved to the remotest part of their mind so not to relive or remember it and you've gone gung ho asking him, if its wrong for followers of Jesus Christ to admit they too had a sin-fillled past like every one else.

How you managed to overlook or ignore the intro "There should be a limit to what a preacher says about his past life especially while preaching..." is baffling. Limit, fyi, means boundary(ies)

We live in an age where neither Jesus nor his apostles would have lasted long enough to even have a ministry to begin with.

Clearly Paul made mention of how he was a chief sinner and persecuted (killed) Christian's while preaching to the family members of those he persecuted.

Preaching in itself is supposed to be as witnesses of Christ right?
How then can you witness without sharing your transformation story.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Preaching Etiquette by seyi360(m): 11:50am On Jun 28, 2020
SocialJustice:
Be sensible and answer the question. Ecclesiastical etiquette lecturer.

Lol, he stalks me and I've had enough of him.
However, your point is noted.
Re: Preaching Etiquette by MuttleyLaff: 11:55am On Jun 28, 2020
Myer:
We live in an age where neither Jesus nor his apostles would have lasted long enough to even have a ministry to begin with.

Clearly Paul made mention of how he was a chief sinner and persecuted (killed) Christian's while preaching to the family members of those he persecuted.

There is no preaching etiquette.
"Be very careful, then, how you live--not as unwise but as wise,"
- Ephesians 5:15

"14And if anyone will not receive you or listen to your words,
shake off the dust from your feet when you leave that house or town
16Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves:
be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves
"
- Matthew 10:14 & 16

"Therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved,
clothe yourselves with hearts of compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.
"
- Colossians 3:12

"Do nothing out of selfish ambition or empty pride,
but in humility consider others more important than yourselves
"
- Philippians 2:3

Just a few sample verses talking of preaching etiquette and acceptable, good and polite behaviours.

1 Like

Re: Preaching Etiquette by Oluf3mi(m): 12:01pm On Jun 28, 2020
DennisEche:
Seyi360 big ups to you for bring on this topic. Any time I hear a preacher boasting about his women excesses in the past , it sounds so awkward and not necessary.
I dont think 'boasting' is the right word to use.
Re: Preaching Etiquette by Nobody: 12:12pm On Jun 28, 2020
TOPCRUISE:
If Apostle Paul glorified God by speaking about his past life, I don't know why people of this generation feel insulted by that action.

When someone is led by the spirit to say something, confess or reveal a secret and thereafter explain and unravel how he got out by salvation and deliverance to the congregation. It is meant to edify to listeners and not to insult the congregation

Apostle Paul was a known murderer of Christians. There was no point hiding that. This is so different from the OP's initial question, where he cited something scandalous like " I used to sleep with my mother's age mates" or I have slept with 500 girls....
You will be putting out in the public space a series of possibilities that don't help you. Don't expect elderly ladies to come to you for counseling. Or young ladies.... help yourself.

1 Like

Re: Preaching Etiquette by seyi360(m): 12:15pm On Jun 28, 2020
As a father whose infant daughter was raped
As a man whose wife has not recovered from rape memory
As a man whose girlfriend was raped

How would you perceive a preacher mentioning his past rape episodes and smiling about it?

A certain Bishop who was an armed robber , while preaching mentioned how he smashed the head of baby on the wall in the presence of the parents because money was hidden under the pillow upon which the baby slept. Till today, I can't forget that story. He told the story smiling and boasting to his audience that God has forgiven him.

Was that necessary?
Re: Preaching Etiquette by ChoCho54(f): 12:17pm On Jun 28, 2020
Kobojunkie:
identity issues? I simply asked a question of your own post there. Since when does that amount to an identity issue? undecided

Why am i the one here who needs help? undecided
In my opinion, if a preacher must say things about his past, he must choose his words carefully because, the audience is made up of people with diverse understanding.

Somebody in the congregation may start doubting if the preacher had truly repented and if he had the authority to even preach to them. This could breed secret hatred, gossip and rumors in the house of God.

If an Islamic preacher tries such, he may be stoned dead right there and then.

1 Like

Re: Preaching Etiquette by Oluf3mi(m): 12:24pm On Jun 28, 2020
Dangrace01:
What I know is whenever pastors preach about past life what comes to my mind is so you have finished enjoying your life and have memorable experience and you don't want me to do my own and have my experience then repent.

Allow me to enjoy myself have experience then I can now repent.
So you really thats how it works eh? Lol...hmm
Re: Preaching Etiquette by Nephilim: 12:32pm On Jun 28, 2020
seyi360:

There should be a limit to what a preacher says about his past life especially while preaching.
When a preacher says
"back in the days, I slept around with my mother's mates"
"I used to be a serial fornicator and rapist"
"I was a murderer and a burglar " etc

Really? And you're proud of such acts? I think that clearly is the height of ecclesiastical insensitivity.

Such unguarded statements has the tendency of poking unhealed wounds in the hearts of some of your listeners , opening you up to temptations and easily making you a victim of extended hatred.

You're called to be a healer, not a killer.
you're right man! Such statement should be said in the counseling room not on the pulpit.

2 Likes

Re: Preaching Etiquette by Thunderdon: 12:32pm On Jun 28, 2020
My Brethen In The Lord To Mention Ur Past Sin To Me Is Nt That Bad,
1. U Are Trying To Expose Spirit Which Is Sin
2. U Are Trying To Tell Ur Listener Ur Victory In Christ Jesus Over Sin,
3. U Are Trying To Make Ur Listener Know That In Christ Al Things Are Possible That Thes No Sin Christ Cnt Forgv
E.G Pau(saul) All So Mention His Own Sin To The Corit.
Re: Preaching Etiquette by MrNipplesLover(m): 12:39pm On Jun 28, 2020
Eulalia:
hmm

wink wink
Re: Preaching Etiquette by McSlow: 12:51pm On Jun 28, 2020
seyi360:

May be I should have interpreted my post to an indigenous language for him to understand
seyi360:

May be I should have interpreted my post to an indigenous language for him to understand
seyi360:

Re: Preaching Etiquette by cooltola(m): 1:21pm On Jun 28, 2020
Well it is like they are bragging about their past life meaning they still miss their past life. When you confess and God forgive you. You should forget about it. If you going to preach about it, just say i used to fornicate or steal or lie or any sin without going into details and you sounds remorseful. When you go into details, you give glory to your sinful past which gives room for the devil to tempt even the most born again. You do not expect a rapist to go into details how he used to rape girl , you will be angry and may kill him. So do not the same to the church, it is annoying and offensive. remember the Devil is a roaring lion looking to whom he can devour.

1 Like

Re: Preaching Etiquette by nwaimoroseyaho: 1:24pm On Jun 28, 2020
There is nothing wrong with telling people about your past sins. You are simply telling them that they too could be saved even though their sins be as scarlet. Apostle Paul told of his sins openly and save he didn't deserve God's mecies cos he was the chief of sinners.
Re: Preaching Etiquette by MISSCONGENIALITY(f): 1:25pm On Jun 28, 2020
MrNipplesLover:
MISSCONGENIALITY

how far?

happy Sunday.
Happy Sunday to you too. You didn't just call men out to say happy Sunday did you? LOL
What do you have for me?
Re: Preaching Etiquette by seyi360(m): 1:26pm On Jun 28, 2020
cooltola:
Well it is like they are bragging about their past life meaning they still miss their past life. When you confess and God forgive you. You should forget about it. If you going to preach about it, just say i used to fornicate or steal or lie or any sin without going into details and you sounds remorseful. When you go into details, you give glory to your sinful past which gives room for the devil to tempt even the most born again. You do not expect a rapist to go into details how he used to rape girl , you will be angry and may kill him. So do not the same to the church, it is annoying and offensive. remember the Devil is a roaring lion looking to whom he can devour.

God bless you
Re: Preaching Etiquette by miketayo(m): 1:26pm On Jun 28, 2020
seyi360:

If opening up a conversation with insults mean nothing to you, I can't help you.

Of course you can't help me or anyone
Re: Preaching Etiquette by gly(m): 1:29pm On Jun 28, 2020
seyi360:

There is no counsel to draw from codegenesis' submission, my post encapulates the needful. It started with " there should be a limit" and that seals it. Whatever a preacher says , should have limits.

Okay, If you say so.
I wish you the best
Re: Preaching Etiquette by cooltola(m): 1:32pm On Jun 28, 2020
Thunderdon:
My Brethen In The Lord To Mention Ur Past Sin To Me Is Nt That Bad,
1. U Are Trying To Expose Spirit Which Is Sin
2. U Are Trying To Tell Ur Listener Ur Victory In Christ Jesus Over Sin,
3. U Are Trying To Make Ur Listener Know That In Christ Al Things Are Possible That Thes No Sin Christ Cnt Forgv
E.G Pau(saul) All So Mention His Own Sin To The Corit.

You are missing the point and i get your point of view. It is okay for a preacher to say i used to steal, kill or whatever sin they used to do. But it is very wrong for them to go into details , it is like they are bragging about their past life and most do not sound remorseful. Imagine an ex governor going into details how he loot people's salaries for his personal gain and how lavished the money even though he has repented and he is born again , someone may want to kill him because it is offensive The same apply to the church, it is offensive to some members.

1 Like

Re: Preaching Etiquette by ugofulfilled(m): 1:34pm On Jun 28, 2020
Kobojunkie:

So it is wrong for followers of Jesus Christ to admit they too had a sin-fillled past like every one else? undecided undecided

I wanted answering you but very quickly I realized it isn't my mention and secondly your moniker: junkies think poorly and are synonymous with negative behaviors.
Re: Preaching Etiquette by cooltola(m): 1:35pm On Jun 28, 2020
seyi360:

God bless you
God bless you too

1 Like

Re: Preaching Etiquette by COdeGenesis: 1:36pm On Jun 28, 2020
seyi360:

"He doesn't know anything" really? Empty barrels make the loudest noise. Your narcissistic self is dangerous to you.

"I have left his case to his Pastor"- You are clearly hallucinating here

"That is why he is having issues with his pastor's style of preaching" - do you even know me?

I guess you should come off your horse of pride and puncture your over bloated self .

You better go n fry your fish, it seems that is what you can do best. Sense is really far from you. You are highly unintelligent.
Re: Preaching Etiquette by Dangrace01: 1:38pm On Jun 28, 2020
Oluf3mi:

So you really thats how it works eh? Lol...hmm

I know what you are thinking, what if during enjoyment something happens that you don't recover again OR the popular one the pastors grace and urs is not the same thing. Baba forget it takes darkness to appreciate light.
Re: Preaching Etiquette by Tomilola360: 1:38pm On Jun 28, 2020
I have a problem with everyone against this OP.

He hasnt said anything ba

1 Like

Re: Preaching Etiquette by COdeGenesis: 1:42pm On Jun 28, 2020
cooltola:

You are missing the point and i get your point of view. It is okay for a preacher to say i used to steal, kill or whatever sin they used to do. But it is very wrong for them to go into details , it is like they are bragging about their past life and most do not sound remorseful. Imagine an ex governor going into details how he loot people's salaries for his personal gain and how lavished the money even though he has repented and he is born again , someone may want to kill him because it is offensive The same apply to the church, it is offensive to some members.

You are right n wrong. Do you know how many people loot in this country? Even those ones doing npower loot. It is not just the politicians. So if he says that his past was dirty, and tells people the pros n cons and why they shouldnt, I guess it will pull more weight. There is no message preached n church that isnt offensive to people. You would always pull blood from someones present experience or past one
Re: Preaching Etiquette by MrNipplesLover(m): 1:48pm On Jun 28, 2020
MISSCONGENIALITY:
Happy Sunday to you too. You didn't just call men out to say happy Sunday did you? LOL
What do you have for me?

cheesy

well, today isn't feeling like Sunday (Sun-Day) cos it is raining over here and the weather is very friendly, u know wink

as I remember you, it is a good sunday-feeling.

@bolded.... have for you wetin?

abi na me suppose ask you how far, anything for me? smiley
Re: Preaching Etiquette by OkikiOluwa1(m): 1:51pm On Jun 28, 2020
Kobojunkie:

So it is wrong for followers of Jesus Christ to admit they too had a sin-fillled past like every one else? undecided undecided
You admit that wrong to God directly not to the public.
See the last paragraph big the op. Thats the reason why you can't just be exposing anyhow
Re: Preaching Etiquette by Kobojunkie: 1:54pm On Jun 28, 2020
brightdestiny96:

You don't need too many details. Reason?
If, as often is the case, you relapse and commit any of those mistakes again, people will conclude you never felt remorse for them and you are doing them habitually. Confess to God and an accountability partner. Most likely, your spouse.
So telling only accountable partners makes your eventual backslide less of a backslide? Hiding the details serves as a sort of insurance of sorts but not against actual backsliding?
Re: Preaching Etiquette by cooltola(m): 1:59pm On Jun 28, 2020
COdeGenesis:

You are right n wrong. Do you know how many people loot in this country? Even those ones doing npower loot. It is not just the politicians. So if he says that his past was dirty, and tells people the pros n cons and why they shouldnt, I guess it will pull more weight. There is no message preached n church that isnt offensive to people. You would always pull blood from someones present experience or past one

You still missing the point. Confession while preaching does not mean going into details on how a preacher used to do this or that. Not everyone in the church is matured and some are still baby. Imagine a pastor preaching how God deliver him from fornication, but he started naming specific area e.g i used to go xyz joint in xyz city where i was younger to get women but thank God i am saved. For someone in the church who is not matured enough he might be tempted to go there and check the place out. That is my point

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

What Are Some Differences Between Judaism Christianity And Islam? / If You.Are To Spend One Day With One Bible Character, Who Would It Be? / My Encounter With My Religious Neighbor Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.