Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,283 members, 7,836,259 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 01:01 AM

Private Schools Teachers To Protest On Monday Over Nonpayment, School Closure - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Private Schools Teachers To Protest On Monday Over Nonpayment, School Closure (50102 Views)

Demons In St Clairs Anglican Girls Grammar School, Offa Forced School's Closure / Lockdown: We Are Hungry - Private Schools Teachers Cry Out / Private Schools Teachers, How Are You Coping During This Lock Down? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Private Schools Teachers To Protest On Monday Over Nonpayment, School Closure by Golan007: 9:30am On Jul 12, 2020
Nettybrown:

What trash are you saying? Markets are open, elections are holding. What's stoping schools from opening?

With time you would know.
Re: Private Schools Teachers To Protest On Monday Over Nonpayment, School Closure by Iceyjayz: 9:30am On Jul 12, 2020
henroo2003:
Nothing will come out from this protest. All I see here is greediness on the side of the proprietors wanting to use their teachers to achieve their aim. Can't the owners of these school pay their teachers from the school fees they haven been collecting, even if it is half salary.
Secondly, I think this will be an Eye-opener for teachers not to put all their eggs in one basket. They should work on another legit source of income.
Exactly!
Re: Private Schools Teachers To Protest On Monday Over Nonpayment, School Closure by FlordFlorez(m): 9:30am On Jul 12, 2020
They need the protest. Those people have really suffered.
Re: Private Schools Teachers To Protest On Monday Over Nonpayment, School Closure by Deasegun19(m): 9:35am On Jul 12, 2020
Amaso99:
Leaders of the protesters will be called and settle While ordinary follows will continue in the woes
I suppose so.. what a country?

1 Like

Re: Private Schools Teachers To Protest On Monday Over Nonpayment, School Closure by mistijude: 9:40am On Jul 12, 2020
Onowu1979:

Sometimes I wonder how grown men/women like you reason. For your information, school fees were paid preceding COVID-19. If you still dont know, the school term has not been completed before the pandemic. There is nothing stopping the private school owners from giving out monthly palliative to their teachers/staff even if it is a quarter of their salaries. It might interest you to know that some of these schools if not most of them have since the month of June sent out SMS messages to parents to actually pay the third term school fees. It is not hearsay, I am a parent.
And how many have responded to the payment? Even you, have you responded to the SMS sent to you? I don't just know why proprietors of school are so much hated in Nigeria.Is it a crime to set up an organization that will correct the the government error of such government own organization?

3 Likes

Re: Private Schools Teachers To Protest On Monday Over Nonpayment, School Closure by richiepolymer(m): 9:43am On Jul 12, 2020
This matter is a sensitive one. I feel for the teachers as they have always been the ones at the receiving end.
Now let's tell ourselves some hard truths.
Private school owners are a wicked set of people. They have no conscience at all. You see schools charging fees to the high heavens and yet don't pay teachers a meaningful wage. You'll charge over 160,000 per head for school fees yet pay a teacher 35,000 as salary. This same teacher will be handling over 100 students. Is that fair? What's the justification for that? These are the reasons why teachers cut corners.
Of course covid-19 has taught us all to ave multiple streams of income. The teachers should start thinking along those lines. The earlier we start to realize that in future, most classes will migrate to online mode the better for us all. Its a reality coming sooner than expected.
Henceforth, the teachers should negotiate their salary according to the number of students they handle instead of just flat rate salary.
Any private school that has refused to even pay half salary this period is just plain wicked. There wasn't any expense on the part of the school owners this period. They didn't spend on taxes, electricity...just security. What happened to all the money they've been making through the years?

1 Like

Re: Private Schools Teachers To Protest On Monday Over Nonpayment, School Closure by Ishilove: 9:45am On Jul 12, 2020
jplusnaira:
It is very unfortunate the kind of value our leaders place on education. At least the government should have provided some palliatives for them. I mean even a 10k per month stipend would go a long way instead of just doing nothing. angry angry
Exactly!
Re: Private Schools Teachers To Protest On Monday Over Nonpayment, School Closure by yom2(m): 9:46am On Jul 12, 2020
Johnjanrt:
Fully agreed. But to what extent is the protest and what do they hope to achieve? This would have made more sense in saner climes. All the same there isn't harm in trying. All the very best to them, would have been partaker but still jobless.
no thanks to all those supporting lockdown
Re: Private Schools Teachers To Protest On Monday Over Nonpayment, School Closure by gr8t1: 9:49am On Jul 12, 2020
I may not know much,but I think it's high time our government stop playing these game of theirs,they are killing d society with their self claim,covid-19 might be real no doubt but d way they claimed on d spreading of it in our country Naija,I strongly doubt it.how can they be gathering in market places,churches,mosques.. etc,and you see nothing bad in it but only in school's, hhhhmmmm..... it's really unfair.

2 Likes

Re: Private Schools Teachers To Protest On Monday Over Nonpayment, School Closure by donmik: 9:50am On Jul 12, 2020
majamajic:
Did the school owners get school fees from students , no
That's the difference between government schools and private ,
So owners should pay from their pockets ?
That's one of disadvantages of teaching in private schools

What is the meaning of this your contribution, pls?

3 Likes

Re: Private Schools Teachers To Protest On Monday Over Nonpayment, School Closure by coputa(m): 9:52am On Jul 12, 2020
Three months of lockdown is enough for the government to have a proper over view of the economy,especially the critical sectors.I Want to ask:where are the public schools teachers,they 're not concerned because they are being paid their salaries while sitting at home,are they not also concern about the children/ward that attend private schools.If the government can open markets,worship centres and hotels,schools should also be opened also.this is a critical sector in the nation.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Private Schools Teachers To Protest On Monday Over Nonpayment, School Closure by awoo47: 9:52am On Jul 12, 2020
majamajic:
what of the money they've been earning b4

If you get gain, they will say it's d owner taking d risk

nw risk don come, owner still doesn't want to part with his money

some schs paid 2nd term money full, yet immediately after d lockdown dey stopped paying money even when d student fees hv been paid tru dat period
Re: Private Schools Teachers To Protest On Monday Over Nonpayment, School Closure by Nobody: 9:53am On Jul 12, 2020
majamajic:

You didn't even read the post. Tueh!

3 Likes

Re: Private Schools Teachers To Protest On Monday Over Nonpayment, School Closure by yom2(m): 9:54am On Jul 12, 2020
Golan007:
Because of money you want to endanger the lives of people.

here they go again hypocrytes. Can u pardon any of them staying in ur house without paying their rents or eating ur food without paying? How much have u giving out this week cos u are not money conscious? Or may be u don't have bills to pay

7 Likes

Re: Private Schools Teachers To Protest On Monday Over Nonpayment, School Closure by donmik: 9:55am On Jul 12, 2020
Nova1988:
God punish all those bastard teachers.

They just want school to open because of money.

They are putting themselves before the children.

They are risking getting the deadly virus because of ordinary 30k abi 50k.

Im now convinced that Nigerian teachers are illiterates.

May Corona locate all them bitches

To u now, u have made a big sense of contribution.
Well done. May reality judge u in this life

6 Likes

Re: Private Schools Teachers To Protest On Monday Over Nonpayment, School Closure by Fidelismaria: 9:56am On Jul 12, 2020
fratermathy:

There is no doubt that there are genuine reasons why schools should be closed in Nigeria. In fact, I agree with many of the arguments that people have made to defend this. However, there are many factors that must be considered before we conclude the matter. I'll just itemise them:

1. Covid-19 has no cure or vaccine and even if one comes up tomorrow, it'll realistically take more than 3 years to reach up to 30% of the Nigerian population. Corona is here to stay. There's no future utopia where the virus magically disappears. It won't go away next year so postponing resumption of schools means postponing the inevitable. In fact, by next year, for instance, the cases may be in the millions in Nigeria. Will schools be closed forever? Or you think our insensitive government will perform some magic?

2. Social distancing doesn't work in Nigeria. I don't know about your location but in mine, people go about their normal lives and there's nothing anyone can do about it. The children are still playing with their mates every day. Parents go to work and markets and may likely import the virus to their homes.

3. Children still go to churches or mosques (which are open in most places). Religious and social gatherings are known super spreaders of the virus.

4. So far, children are nowhere near vulnerable as far as Covid-19 is concerned. While this argument can be upended, it is a strong factor nonetheless. Children are not so much in danger as their teachers and the teachers are mature enough to protect themselves adequately.

5. Students in public schools in remote and riverine areas are struggling and therefore may face certain learning challenges if they stay out of school for too long. Many may lose interest in schools altogether. I have been to these places and I know how averse they are to education. Many simply go to school because their mates are going. Should they stay home for long periods, they may likely never resume whenever schools open (which, going by the logic of some concerns, can take more than 2 years).

6. Private school teachers have not been paid for months because, unlike the public sector, they have to work before they are paid. Furthermore, many of them have been organising lessons for miserly wages (this also contradicts why schools should be closed). Indeed, many of those who want schools to remain closed have means of educating their children effectively, forgetting the fisherman's child in Oporoza who either goes to school or hunts for bait worms.

7. Once again, corona is here to stay. There are many workarounds that can be easily adopted to curtail populated classrooms. We must either accept the reality of Covid-19 or simply all remain at home - no markets, malls, churches, mosques, work etc because no one is better or worse than schools as far as the virus is concerned. If you can afford homeschooling or online learning for your children, you should definitely go for it. However, what is good for Bernard is not necessarily good for Benetutukayo and it is nobody's fault that we have an irresponsible government that can't provide adequate infrastructure for times like this.

I am a realist in matters like this but there are factors that policy makers must consider even if schools must remain closed. Until the factors are appropriately pictured, we may be doing more harm due to our inability to see the wider picture. There are reasons why the lockdown didn't last in Nigeria. These are the same reasons why schools can't remain closed indefinitely.

You deserve a crate of beer

Succinctly put

3 Likes

Re: Private Schools Teachers To Protest On Monday Over Nonpayment, School Closure by MajorOvakporaye(f): 10:00am On Jul 12, 2020
Golan007:

shut up there!!!

3 Likes

Re: Private Schools Teachers To Protest On Monday Over Nonpayment, School Closure by Hummel94: 10:01am On Jul 12, 2020
Nova1988:
This shows where the level of Ur Understanding Takes a Halt..

4 Likes

Re: Private Schools Teachers To Protest On Monday Over Nonpayment, School Closure by Nobody: 10:01am On Jul 12, 2020
henroo2003:
Nothing will come out from this protest. All I see here is greediness on the side of the proprietors wanting to use their teachers to achieve their aim. Can't the owners of these school pay their teachers from the school fees they haven been collecting, even if it is half salary.
Secondly, I think this will be an Eye-opener for teachers not to put all their eggs in one basket. They should work on another legit source of income.
where will the shool owners see the money?what about those schools that dont av much population the propietors are pretty much as poor as their employee.all they are saying is that the government should help them atleast...

2 Likes

Re: Private Schools Teachers To Protest On Monday Over Nonpayment, School Closure by suremanpatriot: 10:02am On Jul 12, 2020
mustafa is wrectin havoc in naija from education sector to economic sector,under the guise of no threat covid19.mustava and ihekwazoo wil face the consequences of their deception.covid is not killin africans(just cases of vulnerable ppl dieiing without proper medicare),this is divine intervention,yet mustava and ihekwazoo toment citizens for capitalist greed and selfish reasons.They hav promoted fear and hysteria lockin some prayer houses and using bought over compromised press to pervade their propaganda,they wil pay darely for their sins by God Almighty, they wil pay. undecided
Re: Private Schools Teachers To Protest On Monday Over Nonpayment, School Closure by MajorOvakporaye(f): 10:03am On Jul 12, 2020
Nova1988:

you reason in a senseless way and what you typed is completely meaningless!
Eriako!!/

3 Likes

Re: Private Schools Teachers To Protest On Monday Over Nonpayment, School Closure by kinah(f): 10:03am On Jul 12, 2020
So we have an association

What have they done for us before now
I know their executives are school owners whose only source of income is from school fees paid by children to sponsor their extravagant lifestyle.

People will think they are concerned about the private school teachers.

I wish them good luck.

2 Likes

Re: Private Schools Teachers To Protest On Monday Over Nonpayment, School Closure by placeofallure(f): 10:05am On Jul 12, 2020
Nova1988:

Back to sender! It's you that Corona will locate! Don't blame people until you have walked in their shoes. Some of them are widows with children, some are fathers with the load of the family to carry, some are women with husbands, yet they're the breadwinners, some are single mothers, some families, both wife and husband are private school teachers, some do other hustle apart from teaching but unfortunately, (event planning, catering,) still on lockdown because of corona! So what will you have them do? 30k or 50k may be ordinary to you, A household survives on that, such that every month when it doesn't come, it's like the heavens is crumbling. Some people's businesses (not teaching) are still under full lockdown because of coronavirus.

Don't think it's okay to sit behind your keyboard and type nonsense with your leprosy infested fingers. Be humane!

Teachers are not crazy. They don't intend for people's children to be exposed to the virus, they just want government to be alive to their responsibilities.
In saner climes, when things like these happen, the government can intervene. Go and read about "Furlough" Tisa o ya were o!

8 Likes

Re: Private Schools Teachers To Protest On Monday Over Nonpayment, School Closure by OscarJaden(m): 10:06am On Jul 12, 2020
Golan007:

God no go forgive you with this endanger of lives we're you talk...it is not the same children that have being stop from going to school now hawk things in the market

1 Like

Re: Private Schools Teachers To Protest On Monday Over Nonpayment, School Closure by Nobody: 10:06am On Jul 12, 2020
Golan007:

But the same children go to the market and other public places,.

..The Nigerian government is just punishing teachers in the private school...because the same process and procedure they are going to adopt when they finally declare the school open before the end of the year is the same process and procedure they suppose to have asked the schools to put in place so that private school can continue teaching...
Since they don't have anything to contribute to the operation of the private schools �� while can't they let them start and do their teaching practice according to the copied guideline from other developed countries
Re: Private Schools Teachers To Protest On Monday Over Nonpayment, School Closure by MUYEEKFIRST(m): 10:08am On Jul 12, 2020
You are not considered those that are unablevto feed their family, what of Edo and Ondo election and market is that not more danger to us. Plz if you are surviving thinks of others, Some are crying for food why some are looting money
Golan007:

1 Like

Re: Private Schools Teachers To Protest On Monday Over Nonpayment, School Closure by fratermathy(m): 10:11am On Jul 12, 2020
Ikennamurphy:

What a beautiful piece.. Please can I share this?

Yes, you may but acknowledge username.
Re: Private Schools Teachers To Protest On Monday Over Nonpayment, School Closure by SirWarlock: 10:15am On Jul 12, 2020
fratermathy:

There is no doubt that there are genuine reasons why schools should be closed in Nigeria. In fact, I agree with many of the arguments that people have made to defend this. However, there are many factors that must be considered before we conclude the matter. I'll just itemise them:

1. Covid-19 has no cure or vaccine and even if one comes up tomorrow, it'll realistically take more than 3 years to reach up to 30% of the Nigerian population. Corona is here to stay. There's no future utopia where the virus magically disappears. It won't go away next year so postponing resumption of schools means postponing the inevitable. In fact, by next year, for instance, the cases may be in the millions in Nigeria. Will schools be closed forever? Or you think our insensitive government will perform some magic?

2. Social distancing doesn't work in Nigeria. I don't know about your location but in mine, people go about their normal lives and there's nothing anyone can do about it. The children are still playing with their mates every day. Parents go to work and markets and may likely import the virus to their homes.

3. Children still go to churches or mosques (which are open in most places). Religious and social gatherings are known super spreaders of the virus.

4. So far, children are nowhere near vulnerable as far as Covid-19 is concerned. While this argument can be upended, it is a strong factor nonetheless. Children are not so much in danger as their teachers and the teachers are mature enough to protect themselves adequately.

5. Students in public schools in remote and riverine areas are struggling and therefore may face certain learning challenges if they stay out of school for too long. Many may lose interest in schools altogether. I have been to these places and I know how averse they are to education. Many simply go to school because their mates are going. Should they stay home for long periods, they may likely never resume whenever schools open (which, going by the logic of some concerns, can take more than 2 years).

6. Private school teachers have not been paid for months because, unlike the public sector, they have to work before they are paid. Furthermore, many of them have been organising lessons for miserly wages (this also contradicts why schools should be closed). Indeed, many of those who want schools to remain closed have means of educating their children effectively, forgetting the fisherman's child in Oporoza who either goes to school or hunts for bait worms.

7. Once again, corona is here to stay. There are many workarounds that can be easily adopted to curtail populated classrooms. We must either accept the reality of Covid-19 or simply all remain at home - no markets, malls, churches, mosques, work etc because no one is better or worse than schools as far as the virus is concerned. If you can afford homeschooling or online learning for your children, you should definitely go for it. However, what is good for Bernard is not necessarily good for Benetutukayo and it is nobody's fault that we have an irresponsible government that can't provide adequate infrastructure for times like this.

I am a realist in matters like this but there are factors that policy makers must consider even if schools must remain closed. Until the factors are appropriately pictured, we may be doing more harm due to our inability to see the wider picture. There are reasons why the lockdown didn't last in Nigeria. These are the same reasons why schools can't remain closed indefinitely.
Not the typical rant comment on Nairaland. I like your take. Infact since government has shown that it isn't ready to deal with the situation here and now then they might as well just carry on with whatever pace they're going with grin. They had weeks to put set things up and now they're saying we should wait for them undecided.

2 Likes

Re: Private Schools Teachers To Protest On Monday Over Nonpayment, School Closure by efighter: 10:15am On Jul 12, 2020
Golan007:

They just want to contribute their quota to the development of Nigeria by helping us to reduce the population of children by creating an avenue to spread COVID-19.
Re: Private Schools Teachers To Protest On Monday Over Nonpayment, School Closure by xperiencelove(m): 10:16am On Jul 12, 2020
"Every onlooker is either a traitor or a coward" was said by Frantz Fanon not Chief Obafemi Awolowo.
Re: Private Schools Teachers To Protest On Monday Over Nonpayment, School Closure by calebify1(m): 10:16am On Jul 12, 2020
fratermathy:

You are one wise person.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Esther Adaobi Azom Gets Car From Ooni Of Ife As Best Graduating Medical Student / Guess The Subject / University Of Maiduguri Lecturer Kneels Student Down As Form Of Punishment (Pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.