Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,939 members, 7,835,130 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 05:28 AM

Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. - Politics (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. (73927 Views)

Rare Picture Of Head Of State Maj.gen Aguiyi Ironsi In Kano / The Truth Behind General Aguiyi- Ironsi’s Crocodile Swagger Stick / Nzeogwu; How We Killed Sardauna (video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (43) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by cap28: 12:46pm On Feb 07, 2011
ola olabiy:

Are you trying to defend Ironsi?A man who was solely responsible for the marginalisation of the Igbos today. You had a unique opportunity in Nigeria before the coup. He blew it all and you lost your privileged position.
Sorry, man.

He was so silly.

can you explain how Ironsi was solely responsible for the marginalisation of Igbos?
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by olaolabiy: 12:56pm On Feb 07, 2011
cap28:

can you explain how Ironsi was solely responsible for the marginalisation of Igbos?

Was he not part of the coup? He headed the government of usurpers, innit?

And, there was a counter coup as a result of the usurpation, innit?

And the civil war.

And Igbos lost everything . . . . . this includes abstract things like trust as sensitive positions have since eluded them.

His actions or inactions started it all.

1 Like

Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by cap28: 1:01pm On Feb 07, 2011
ola olabiy:

Was he not part of the coup? He headed the government of usurpers, innit?

And, there was a counter coup as a result of the usurpation, innit?

And the civil war.

And Igbos lost everything . . . . . this includes trust as sensitive positions have since eluded them.

His actions or inactions started it all.

what on earth are you talking about?

Ironsi was NOT part of the January 66 coup - please get your facts right.

He narrowly escaped being killed by the coup plotters of Jan 66 himself.

He quashed the coup and had all the coup plotters arrested - i dont know where you are getting your flawed information from!!!
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by olaolabiy: 1:02pm On Feb 07, 2011
You call it flawed.

You think those northern soldiers were silly?

Why was he mercilessly killed if he was simply a peace maker?

1 Like

Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by Afam4eva(m): 1:04pm On Feb 07, 2011
Why do people always make the mistake of thing that Aguiyi ironsi was part of the 66 coup. The coup was not carried out by him but he was called upon to take charge of the country.
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by Mobinga: 1:06pm On Feb 07, 2011
Ironsi wan't part of the coup.
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by olaolabiy: 1:07pm On Feb 07, 2011
afam4eva:

Why do people always make the mistake of thing that Aguiyi ironsi was part of the 66 coup. The coup was not carried out by him but he was called upon to take charge of the country.

Maybe Danjuma has to listen to you.

I am not saying you got it wrong but it's hard for me to believe, sir.
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by olaolabiy: 1:08pm On Feb 07, 2011
Mobinga:

Ironsi wan't part of the coup.

OK. Fine. But he was the main beneficiary. And, he was Igbo. And the plotters were Igbo too. 1+1=?

It was tribal, simple.

1 Like

Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by T9ksy(m): 1:27pm On Feb 07, 2011
afam4eva:

@ Bolded, Yeah right!!! By whom? with fully armed rambo-looking soldiers in attendance!
Of course, he was begged to take charge shocked

1 Like

Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by bidemi12(m): 2:57pm On Feb 07, 2011
http://www.itnsource.com/shotlist//BHC_ITN/1966/01/19/X19016603/?s=nzeogwu
O'l boy, did you hear what the Nigerian journalist said? all the crap happening back then is still the same rubbish we are fighting and going through in real time. Mhen na wa ooo.
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by Claus(m): 3:14pm On Feb 07, 2011
Everyone should try to get their hands on the book "Why We Struck". It was written by Ademola Ademoyega. He was a Major, a friend to both Ifeajuna and Nzeogwu, and one of the key players in the Jan 1966 coup.

It should clear up a lot of the arguments that have been going on in this forum.

For example, it is clear from the book that Aguiyi Ironsi was not a part of their coup. In their coup, they planned to "neutralise" various policians and senior army officers. This was on the basis of them wanting to eliminate those military men that could be a threat to the coup. This is the first time I'm hearing about them trying to prevent messages from being delivered (of what use would a delivered message be once the coup had been carried out).

Ironsi himself was marked down for elimination, but Ifeajuna failed (some say deliberately) in this task. Other officers that claimed to have escaped the coup include David Ejoor and Yakubu Gowon. In fact Gowon himself later rallied some troops to help crush the coup. The tribal appearance of the coup was coincidental.

Other officers that were left alone, on the basis that the coup plotters did not feel that they would be a threat once the coup started gaining success include Victor Banjo and Adekunle Fajuyi.

One of the things about the events of those years is that it's quite difficult to get a good picture without reading many different sources. I have managed to read about 4 books on the coups and civil war, but still feel like there are so many bits missing.

I like these discussions though as it's always amazed me that a big piece of our history just goes undiscussed.
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by Nobody: 3:28pm On Feb 07, 2011
Posers
1) who was the first coup plotter in Nigeria?
2) Who introduced Unitary system of govt to Nigeria?
3) Why Kill all prominment non igbo political and military officials and spare the igbos (orizu, okpara, osadebey, ironsi) was that a coincidence?

1 Like

Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by Nobody: 3:41pm On Feb 07, 2011
Claus:

Everyone should try to get their hands on the book "Why We Struck". It was written by Ademola Ademoyega. He was a Major, a friend to both Ifeajuna and Nzeogwu, and one of the key players in the Jan 1966 coup.

It should clear up a lot of the arguments that have been going on in this forum.

For example, it is clear from the book that Aguiyi Ironsi was not a part of their coup. In their coup, they planned to "neutralise" various policians and senior army officers. This was on the basis of them wanting to eliminate those military men that could be a threat to the coup. This is the first time I'm hearing about them trying to prevent messages from being delivered (of what use would a delivered message be once the coup had been carried out).

Ironsi himself was marked down for elimination, but Ifeajuna failed (some say deliberately) in this task. Other officers that claimed to have escaped the coup include David Ejoor and Yakubu Gowon. In fact Gowon himself later rallied some troops to help crush the coup. The tribal appearance of the coup was coincidental.

Other officers that were left alone, on the basis that the coup plotters did not feel that they would be a threat once the coup started gaining success include Victor Banjo and Adekunle Fajuyi.

One of the things about the events of those years is that it's quite difficult to get a good picture without reading many different sources. I have managed to read about 4 books on the coups and civil war, but still feel like there are so many bits missing.

I like these discussions though as it's always amazed me that a big piece of our history just goes undiscussed.
Was it also part of their plan to make Awolowo the president ? If yes,why did Aguiyi installed himself.if no,why did Aguiyi not prosecute the coup plotters if truly he wasn't aware or an accomplice to the coup ?
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by AndreUweh(m): 3:42pm On Feb 07, 2011
abubello:

Posers
1) who was the first coup plotter in Nigeria?
2) Who introduced Unitary system of govt to Nigeria?
3) Why Kill all prominment non igbo political and military officials and spare the igbos (orizu, okpara, osadebey, ironsi) was that a coincidence?
The above post is very irrelevant. This thread has moved far ahead of you. This your nursery school questions has been discussed severally in nairaland, check it out.
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by calddon(m): 3:47pm On Feb 07, 2011
angry
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by shotster50(m): 4:07pm On Feb 07, 2011
ola olabiy:

OK. Fine. But he was the main beneficiary. And, he was Igbo. And the plotters were Igbo too. 1+1=?

It was tribal, simple.

You are basically repeating yourself .  Nothing new here.
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by Dede1(m): 4:09pm On Feb 07, 2011
ola olabiy:

Are you trying to defend Ironsi?A man who was solely responsible for the marginalisation of the Igbos today. You had a unique opportunity in Nigeria before the coup. He blew it all and you lost your privileged position.
Sorry, man.

He was so silly.

I have not yet cultivated the culture of defending Aguiyi Ironsi in any way or form. Of course, Ironsi was silly in more ways than one but Unitary System of government
definitely not one of them. My attempt was to stand fact on its feet. People keep throwing the Unitary System phrase recklessly in their write-ups without drawing parallel understanding to other system of government.

Today’s Nigeria is Unitary System as it was since 1960. There has never been a true federalism in Nigeria where regions or even states have their police force, control of municipal airports and control of resources from the state or region. Some loonies have even ascribed that Ironsi killed true federalism in Nigeria. How can Ironsi kill what actually did not exist?

Unitary system is government where the central government is supreme and delegates certain powers to regional or state government. In today’s Nigeria if any State Governor attempts to politically disagree with the President, the governor’s state with be slammed with state of emergency.

Again, some of the political national landmarks changed by the decree enacted by Ironsi includded the abolition  of Local Government Authority, which was a bastion of nepotism through the Emirs and unification of civil service code, the same code Nigeria uses today.
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by EzeUche2(m): 4:16pm On Feb 07, 2011
Why would anyone want to kill Okpara? He was not a corrupt official, which can be seen in his actions. There was no corrupt bone in his body, so the coupist would have no reason to kill the man.
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by moonraker(m): 4:18pm On Feb 07, 2011
I knw that this has nothing to do with the topic but can you

see the level of the english language used back in the day??

Now compare that and what you we have in our present society

Mehn, e don ter, Nigeria died a long time ago
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by EzeUche2(m): 4:23pm On Feb 07, 2011
moonraker:

I knw that this has nothing to do with the topic but can you

see the level of the english language used back in the day??

Now compare that and what you we have in our present society

Mehn, e don ter, Nigeria died a long time ago

I understand what you mean.

It would seem like this nation has regressed.

If you look at the way most of the 1st Republic politicians and journalist spoke English, I am just amazed.

Now fast-forward to today and listen to Nigerian politicians. They can barely speak the English language.

And I don't want to hear that it is, because English is not their first language. If you going to use a language, then speak the language correctly!
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by Katsumoto: 4:56pm On Feb 07, 2011
Dede1:

I have not yet cultivated the culture of defending Aguiyi Ironsi in any way or form. Of course, Ironsi was silly in more ways than one but Unitary System of government
definitely not one of them. My attempt was to stand fact on its feet. People keep throwing the Unitary System phrase recklessly in their write-ups without drawing parallel understanding to other system of government.

Today’s Nigeria is Unitary System as it was since 1960. [/b]There has never been a true federalism in Nigeria where regions or even states have their police force, control of municipal airports and control of resources from the state or region. Some loonies have even ascribed that Ironsi killed true federalism in Nigeria. How can Ironsi kill what actually did not exist?

Unitary system is government where the central government is supreme and delegates certain powers to regional or state government.[b] In today’s Nigeria if any State Governor attempts to politically disagree with the President, the governor’s state with be slammed with state of emergency.

Again, some of the political national landmarks changed by the decree enacted by Ironsi includded the abolition  of Local Government Authority, which was a bastion of nepotism through the Emirs and unification of civil service code, the same code Nigeria uses today.  

No one is stating that Nigeria practiced complete federalism; what they are stating is that there was a federal structure which was abrogated by Decree 34, implemented by Ironsi. Plain and simple, there was no unitary system before Ironsi. Gowon implemented decree 8, which was rejected by Ojukwu. To check Ojukwu, Gowon created more states. State creation is not antithetic to federalism.

Also, the state governors who implemented Sharia and went against the constitution and president did not have state of emergency imposed on their states.

1 Like

Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by Claus(m): 4:58pm On Feb 07, 2011
~Bluetooth:

Was it also part of their plan to make Awolowo the president ? If yes,why did Aguiyi installed himself.if no,why did Aguiyi not prosecute the coup plotters if truly he wasn't aware or an accomplice to the coup ?

I'm not sure Ademoyega mmentioned in his book that they wanted to install Awolowo (apologies, it's been a while since I read the book), but I remember reading it somewhere else. To my recollection, none of the coup plotters explicitly confirmed this.

Aguiyi Ironsi did not install himself per se. He was able to rally troops to crush the coup. Once the dust had settled, there was still a core number of politicians from the ruling party that could have formed a government. However, in a couple of books that I read about Col Victor Banjo, it seems he, along with some other senior officers were in favour of the military taking over. Naturally the leadership went to Ironsi as the most senior military officer at the time, and incidentally also the chief coup crusher.

It's quite baffling as to why Ironsi didn't swiftly prosecute and punish the coup plotters. Perhaps he too was aware of his illegal move (as I mentioned before, once the coup had been crushed, there was still a core number of politicians who could have legally taken over the reins of government). Therefore, what Ironsi and his senior military officers did by taking over could in itself be termed a coup. They may, however, have claimed that they did it for security reasons.

Officially, the Jan 16 coup plotters were in jail and awaiting trial for the entire duration of Ironsi's regime.
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by Katsumoto: 5:05pm On Feb 07, 2011
Claus:

I'm not sure Ademoyega mmentioned in his book that they wanted to install Awolowo (apologies, it's been a while since I read the book), but I remember reading it somewhere else. To my recollection, none of the coup plotters explicitly confirmed this.

Aguiyi Ironsi did not install himself per se. He was able to rally troops to crush the coup. Once the dust had settled, there was still a core number of politicians from the ruling party that could have formed a government. However, in a couple of books that I read about Col Victor Banjo, it seems he, along with some other senior officers were in favour of the military taking over. Naturally the leadership went to Ironsi as the most senior military officer at the time, and incidentally also the chief coup crusher.

It's quite baffling as to why Ironsi didn't swiftly prosecute and punish the coup plotters. Perhaps he too was aware of his illegal move (as I mentioned before, once the coup had been crushed, there was still a core number of politicians who could have legally taken over the reins of government). Therefore, what Ironsi and his senior military officers did by taking over could in itself be termed a coup. They may, however, have claimed that they did it for security reasons.

Officially, the Jan 16 coup plotters were in jail and awaiting trial for the entire duration of Ironsi's regime.

It was a coup. The Ifeajuna coup was crushed and there were people who could have taken over but were prevented from doing so by Ironsi. It is not clear the role other officers played in this regard.
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by olaolabiy: 5:10pm On Feb 07, 2011
Dede1:

Today’s Nigeria is Unitary System as it was since 1960. There has never been a true federalism in Nigeria where regions or even states have their police force, control of municipal airports and control of resources from the state or region. Some loonies have even ascribed that Ironsi killed true federalism in Nigeria. How can Ironsi kill what actually did not exist?
Unitary system is government where the central government is supreme and delegates certain powers to regional or state government. In today’s Nigeria if any State Governor attempts to politically disagree with the President, the governor’s state with be slammed with state of emergency.

Again, some of the political national landmarks changed by the decree enacted by Ironsi includded the abolition of Local Government Authority, which was a bastion of nepotism through the Emirs and unification of civil service code, the same code Nigeria uses today.

That's not a good point. Even America is not completely federal.
Obama can still use his veto, if need be.

1 Like

Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by olaolabiy: 5:13pm On Feb 07, 2011
Claus:

Imagine the bold part. For 7 months?
And Aguiyi was innocent?

1 Like

Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by EzeUche2(m): 5:16pm On Feb 07, 2011
ola olabiy:

Imagine the bolded. For 7 months?
And Aguiyi was innocent?

That is not even that long. Yes, Aguiyi was innocent. People have told you time and time again. He had no knowledge of the plot. Just look at the man in the video and tell me you think he knew what was happening around him. The people who killed that innocent man should pay. Many still live amongst us.
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by olaolabiy: 5:26pm On Feb 07, 2011
^^^Ok oo.
But did you see this :

Katsumoto:

It was a coup. The Ifeajuna coup was crushed and there were people who could have taken over but were prevented from doing so by Ironsi. It is not clear the role other officers played in this regard.
?
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by Claus(m): 5:29pm On Feb 07, 2011
Katsumoto:

In his speech after he led Biafran troops into the midwest, Victor Banjo mentioned that he was one of the senior army officers that impressed it upon Ironsi that the army should take over. I don't believe it was a unilateral decision by Ironsi.
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by Nobody: 5:31pm On Feb 07, 2011
EzeUche_:

That is not even that long. Yes, Aguiyi was innocent. People have told you time and time again. He had no knowledge of the plot. Just look at the man in the video and tell me you think he knew what was happening around him. The people who killed that innocent man should pay. MANY STILL LIVE AMONG US.
exactly!
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by Katsumoto: 5:40pm On Feb 07, 2011
ola olabiy:

^^^Ok oo.
But did you see this :
?

There is nothing to suggest that Ironsi was part of the plot other than he took over after Ifeajuna's plot failed. I may be wrong but the on balance of evidence, he wasn't complicit.
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by Eziachi: 5:51pm On Feb 07, 2011
afam4eva:

The one that was smoking a cigar, He just spoke his mind. He was actually in support of the coup.

The well spoken journalist wasn’t the only person that was in support of the coup. His sentiment represents what was obtained at the time especially in Lagos and most Western cities like Ibadan. In the video, you heard that the coup was cheerfully welcomed in Lagos.

In Lagos and Ibadan for instance, there were huge celebration and street parties when the news filtered that army has taken over and that the prime minister and others especially Okotie Eboh had been killed. In the beginning, most Yoruba viewed the coup as liberation and revenge on the huge humiliation dished out to their great leader, Chief Awolowo by Balewa/ his stooge Akintola.

I remembered when we got to the East from Lagos over the next couple of days, only few people actually knew about the storm going on across the Niger.  Few months later, it becomes an Igbo coup and all those that welcomed and cheered the coup then joined in the savage of Easterners that lasted three years.
And they also cheered with the news of the on going savage!
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by Dede1(m): 5:58pm On Feb 07, 2011
Katsumoto:

No one is stating that Nigeria practiced complete federalism; what they are stating is that there was a federal structure which was abrogated by Decree 34, implemented by Ironsi. Plain and simple, there was no unitary system before Ironsi. Gowon implemented decree 8, which was rejected by Ojukwu. To check Ojukwu, Gowon created more states. State creation is not antithetic to federalism.

Also, the state governors who implemented Sharia and went against the constitution and president did not have state of emergency imposed on their states.

It is unfortunate that people tend to throw caution into the winds in order to register a inconsequential point due to tribal pressure. Ironsi’s regime was not ushered into existence due to plebiscite. It was a military regime that has no use for political parties, legislative bodies constituted of elected members and public civil service controlled by local Emirs.

Granted that provinces were introduced due to Decree #34, Nigeria was not caved up into multitude of provinces in the power structure but still remain in the configuration of four regions with military administrators instead of premiers. The elected legislative bodies were replaced by the appointees since political parties were abolished. The political structure in terms of regional and federal jurisdictions did not change. As far as I am concern, change from the regional to provisional to state governments as well as tertiary governments such as County Council to Provisional Government to Local Government Council are pure nomenclatural exercise. At the end of the day, since in 1960, the power of governance in Nigeria flows from the central government and delegated to regional or state governments.

Gowon claimed to have abrogated the decree #34 and yet retained some if not all the vestiges of the decree #34 including National Public Service Commission which is still in use today. Gowon went further to abolish the regional government for state governments hence the 12 states of Nigeria. I cease to engage in dialogue of this emptiness if Gowon’s actions in usurpation of power and creation of 12 states led by appointed both military, police and civil governors or administrators are not antithetic to federalism.

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (43) (Reply)

Ex-President Jonathan’s CSO, Obua Arrested!!! / Wike Bans IPOB, Stanley Mgbere Declared Wanted, N50 Million Bounty Placed On Him / Umahi Orders The Arrest Of Godfrey Chikwere Over Facebook Post He Made

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.