Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,006 members, 7,835,416 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 09:50 AM

Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. - Politics (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. (73933 Views)

Rare Picture Of Head Of State Maj.gen Aguiyi Ironsi In Kano / The Truth Behind General Aguiyi- Ironsi’s Crocodile Swagger Stick / Nzeogwu; How We Killed Sardauna (video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (43) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by EzeUche2(m): 6:02pm On Feb 07, 2011
The biggest mistake that the coupist did was kill Ahamadu Bello. That was a complete mistake on their part. Now he was the most beloved leader out of all the politicians that were killed. That is something I cannot wrap my mind around. Why kill the #2 man to the Sultan of Sokoto?
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by Eziachi: 6:11pm On Feb 07, 2011
SapeleGuy:

Ezekolo, Nkita ara dika gi
Okotie - Eboh,  has been the most successful and brilliant finance minister Nigeria has produced to date, after him comes Awolowo.  
Some people were keen to move him not because they had anything better to offer but because they felt a Mid-Westerner should not be that powerful. Simple. Go and do some research instead of displaying your usual impotent and feral rabble rousing.

You can now see that the rot in Nigeria started long time ago, the same way some of you in the Delta today is about the likes of Ibori being a hero is exactly your sentiment about Okotie=Eboh.
How old were you in 1966?
Because to say that Okotie Ebo was the best finance minister is not only idiotic but madness. Until Umoru Dikko in the 80s, I have not seen any public official in Nigeria loathed as Eboh was at the time.
He practically laid the foundation of corruption in Nigeria.
Even before 1966, he was already well known as Mr 10%, because of his penchant of demanding 10% from contracts awarded.
What has Eboh got to  do with midwest being powerful? What a load of rubbish!
There are much more powerful figures in the midwest then than him. And in those days, unlike now, most poweful politicians are based in the regions, while the less powerful ones are sent to Lagos (now Abuja).
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by Dede1(m): 6:14pm On Feb 07, 2011
Katsumoto:

It was a coup. The Ifeajuna coup was crushed and there were people who could have taken over but were prevented from doing so by Ironsi. It is not clear the role other officers played in this regard.

This is another insidious smear campaign against Ironsi. Ironsi was invited to takeover the reigns of government of Nigeria by the constitutional constituted authority. By the time Ironsi was handed over power, he has slight command of the military formations within Lagos and did not know the extent of coup. It must be recall that Nzeogwu was still in control in certain part of northern region.

Negotiation rather the crush immensely contributed to the demise of the January 15, 1966 coup. I can not believe the mentality of certain Nigerians not to grasp there was not any politician cable of handling the affairs of the county except the military. The so-called politicians had no power to congregate, they were sacked from power by Nzeogwu and Co, few of them had been eliminated and score were hiding under some widow’s bed.
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by Eziachi: 6:34pm On Feb 07, 2011
Obiagu1:

I actually will not know. That angle might or might not be true. But one glaring fact was that Ifeajuna, being Zik's relation, might have done it to protect him from being killed. Who want's to kill his own relation?

Not this again!
Please Zik and Ifeajuna are not related, even by a long short. They both from Onitsha and that doesn't make them relatives. I don't think every Egba man is related to Abiola or OBJ.
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by Katsumoto: 6:38pm On Feb 07, 2011
Dede1:

It is unfortunate that people tend to throw caution into the winds in order to register a inconsequential point due to tribal pressure. Ironsi’s regime was not ushered into existence due to plebiscite. It was a military regime that has no use for political parties, legislative bodies constituted of elected members and public civil service controlled by local Emirs.

Granted that provinces were introduced due to Decree #34, Nigeria was not caved up into multitude of provinces in the power structure but still remain in the configuration of four regions with military administrators instead of premiers. The elected legislative bodies were replaced by the appointees since political parties were abolished. The political structure in terms of regional and federal jurisdictions did not change. As far as I am concern, change from the regional to provisional to state governments as well as tertiary governments such as County Council to Provisional Government to Local Government Council are pure nomenclatural exercise. At the end of the day, since in 1960, the power of governance in Nigeria flows from the central government and delegated to regional or state governments.

Gowon claimed to have abrogated the decree #34 and yet retained some if not all the vestiges of the decree #34 including National Public Service Commission which is still in use today. Gowon went further to abolish the regional government for state governments hence the 12 states of Nigeria. I cease to engage in dialogue of this emptiness if Gowon’s actions in usurpation of power and creation of 12 states led by appointed both military, police and civil governors or administrators are not antithetic to federalism.

Why must every point that is not in agreement with yours be a tribal one. Not like I care but I must point out that those who resort to such underhanded tactics do not believe in the strength of their arguments and seek to gain an advantage by characterising their opponents. Please state your case and let the readers determine whether a point has a tribal slant or not.

1 Like

Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by CapnCrunch: 6:47pm On Feb 07, 2011
Very informative, Ironsi looks very uncomfortable and you can tell from a psychological standpoint, the way he looks up in the air searching for answers when asked questions shows he was not ready or scared, what i find scary in the video is the way the journalist described balewa, shockingly similar to GEJ, weak
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by Katsumoto: 6:54pm On Feb 07, 2011
Dede1:

This is another insidious smear campaign against Ironsi. Ironsi was invited to takeover the reigns of government of Nigeria by the constitutional constituted authority. By the time Ironsi was handed over power, he has slight command of the military formations within Lagos and did not know the extent of coup. It must be recall that Nzeogwu was still in control in certain part of northern region.

Negotiation rather the crush immensely contributed to the demise of the January 15, 1966 coup. I can not believe the mentality of certain Nigerians not to grasp there was not any politician cable of handling the affairs of the county except the military. The so-called politicians had no power to congregate, they were sacked from power by Nzeogwu and Co, few of them had been eliminated and score were hiding under some widow’s bed.

You can carry on till kingdom come but Nigeria had an elected democracy and the murder of a few politicians should not lead to the truncation of the nascent democracy. If it were so, every time an American president was asassassinatedthe military would take over. As long as a nation has citizens who have been elected or are capable of being elected, the military has no right or business in taking over. No soldier, I repeat, no soldier has the requisite training or right to lead a country. We only have to look at successive military governments to know that African soldiers are not equipped to lead their countries.

Based on your weak argument, I put it to you that you only argue that Ironsi was right to take over because he was Igbo. Since the NPC rejected Mbu as the choice of NCNC for the position of PM preferring its own candidate (Dipcharima) Orizu preferred to handover to Ironsi because he was a fellow Igbo. That is the reason the coup was called an Igbo coup. You can't eat your cake and have it. For all the moral arguments that supported the coup, it was tarnished by its manner and execution. The subsequent actions of Igbo sons also lent credence to that point.

Why do some Igbo sons think that they are the only ones who are smart? Do you think that the rest of us are fools. Igbo sons went and killed every prominent soldier and politician who wasn't Igbo. Another Igbo son capitalised on the opportunity offered by the murder prominent citizens. Then Igbo politicians equally sought to capitalise on the situation but when that failed, Orizu preferred to handover to Ironsi another Igbo.

Na tree wey near tree na hin make monkey dey smart.

2 Likes

Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by AndreUweh(m): 6:56pm On Feb 07, 2011
EzeUche_:

The biggest mistake that the coupist did was kill Ahamadu Bello. That was a complete mistake on their part. Now he was the most beloved leader out of all the politicians that were killed. That is something I cannot wrap my mind around. Why kill the #2 man to the Sultan of Sokoto?
Those military men did not intend to kill him. He and his family resisted arrest and the penalty for that was death.
The family had not seen such before and took the soldiers for a ride. Till date, anyone who refuses arrest during a military coup pays heavily with his life.
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by Katsumoto: 7:00pm On Feb 07, 2011
Eziachi:

The well spoken journalist wasn’t the only person that was in support of the coup. His sentiment represents what was obtained at the time especially in Lagos and most Western cities like Ibadan. In the video, you heard that the coup was cheerfully welcomed in Lagos.

In Lagos and Ibadan for instance, there were huge celebration and street parties when the news filtered that army has taken over and that the prime minister and others especially Okotie Eboh had been killed. In the beginning, most Yoruba viewed the coup as liberation and revenge on the huge humiliation dished out to their great leader, Chief Awolowo by Balewa/ his stooge Akintola.

I remembered when we got to the East from Lagos over the next couple of days, only few people actually knew about the storm going on across the Niger.  Few months later, it becomes an Igbo coup and all those that welcomed and cheered the coup then joined in the savage of Easterners that lasted three years.
And they also cheered with the news of the on going savage!

Story teller, you have come again. Why don't you tell us what led to the rest of Nigeria in joining the North in fighting against Biafra? The problem with people like you is that you lack objectivity. So you were expecting the West and mid-west to send goodluck cards to Ojukwu after Biafra invaded the west and mid-west? Also, it is savagery because the other side won and you lost. I bet you have also forgotten that part where Biafra dropped bombs on Lagos. When the bombs were dropped, were they hoping to kill livestock?

2 Likes

Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by Katsumoto: 7:06pm On Feb 07, 2011
Andre Uweh:

Those military men did not intend to kill him. He and his family resisted arrest and the penalty for that was death.
The family had not seen such before and took the soldiers for a ride. Till date, anyone who refuses arrest during a military coup pays heavily with his life.

Stop talking about what you don't know.
Was Balewa resisting arrest when he was shot?
Was Maimalari resisting arrest when he was shot?
Was Pam resisting arrest when he was shot?
Was Largema resisting arrest when he was shot?
Were Shodeinde and his pregnant wife resistint arrest when they were shot?
Was Okotie-Eboh resisting arrest when he was shot?
Was Sgt Oyegoke resisting arrest when he was shot by Nzeogwu because he refused to fire mortar rounds on Bello's house.

The problem with some of you is that you don't have the facts, yet you come and post rubbish as facts.

One of these days, I am going to start a thread and post official transcripts which detail the savage manner in which the Jan coup was executed.

1 Like

Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by AndreUweh(m): 7:16pm On Feb 07, 2011
@Katsumoto: What sort of facts do I require to say that Nigerian civil war ended in Jan 1970. Do I need facts to state that Nigeria gained independence in Oct1, 1960?.
Mind you, the events of 1966-1970 has not really been covered. Facts are still emerging and even some of the facts that have emerged are false. Believe you me.
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by lakode(m): 7:20pm On Feb 07, 2011
Come to think of it this was back at 1966 , and the complain of corruption is similar to today , hmm Nigeria I doubt this country will move forward sadsad

E go better before I was born

E go better after I was born

E go better when I will be an octogenarian

E go better , E go better ,
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by Chyz2: 7:29pm On Feb 07, 2011
Katsumoto:

Story teller, you have come again. Why don't you tell us what led to the rest of Nigeria in joining the North in fighting against Biafra? The problem with people like you is that you lack objectivity. So you were expecting the West and mid-west to send goodluck cards to Ojukwu after Biafra invaded the west and mid-west? Also, it is savagery because the other side won and you lost. I bet you have also forgotten that part where Biafra dropped bombs on Lagos. When the bombs were dropped, were they hoping to kill livestock?

Eziachi:

The well spoken journalist wasn’t the only person that was in support of the coup. His sentiment represents what was obtained at the time especially in Lagos and most Western cities like Ibadan. In the video, you heard that the coup was cheerfully welcomed in Lagos.

In Lagos and Ibadan for instance, there were huge celebration and street parties when the news filtered that army has taken over and that the prime minister and others especially Okotie Eboh had been killed. In the beginning, most Yoruba viewed the coup as liberation and revenge on the huge humiliation dished out to their great leader, Chief Awolowo by Balewa/ his stooge Akintola.

I remembered when we got to the East from Lagos over the next couple of days, only few people actually knew about the storm going on across the Niger.  Few months later, it becomes an Igbo coup and all those that welcomed and cheered the coup then joined in the savage of Easterners that lasted three years.
And they also cheered with the news of the on going savage!

Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by Afam4eva(m): 7:33pm On Feb 07, 2011
lakode:

Come to think of it this was back at 1966 , and the complain of corruption is similar to today , hmm Nigeria I doubt this country will move forward sadsad

E go better before I was born

E go better after I was born

E go better when I will be an octogenarian

E go better , E go better ,

Brother take heart, E GO BETTER
grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by Katsumoto: 7:40pm On Feb 07, 2011
Andre Uweh:

@Katsumoto: What sort of facts do I require to say that Nigerian civil war ended in Jan 1970. Do I need facts to state that Nigeria gained independence in Oct1, 1960?.
Mind you, the events of 1966-1970 has not really been covered. Facts are still emerging and even some of the facts that have emerged are false. Believe you me.

This is how Bello was killed. If they had no intention of killing, why did they go to his house with anti-tank (Carl-Gustav) guns? Why was he shot if he was hiding?

' In the early hours of January15 1966, Nzeogwu decided to turn “Exercise Damisa” into a full-blown military coup. Nzeogwu led a group of soldiers into a bush adjacent to the Premier’s Lodge. Once there Nzeogwu informed the men of their real mission: they were to attack the Premier’s Lodge. Nzeogwu and his men blew open the gates to the Sardauna’s lodge and Nzeogwu personally conducted a search of the residence – hunting for Bello. After losing his temper at his initial failure to locate him, Nzeogwu found Bello hiding with his wives. Bello was shot by Nzeogwu. Bello’s faithful bodyguard who came to defend him with a bow and arrows was also shot, as well as one of his wives who tried to shield him with her body.'

1 Like

Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by Nobody: 8:17pm On Feb 07, 2011
Katsumoto:

This is how Bello was killed. If they had no intention of killing, why did they go to his house with anti-tank (Carl-Gustav) guns? Why was he shot if he was hiding?

' In the early hours of January15 1966, Nzeogwu decided to turn “Exercise Damisa” into a full-blown military coup. Nzeogwu led a group of soldiers into a bush adjacent to the Premier’s Lodge. Once there Nzeogwu informed the men of their real mission: they were to attack the Premier’s Lodge. Nzeogwu and his men blew open the gates to the Sardauna’s lodge and Nzeogwu personally conducted a search of the residence – hunting for Bello. After losing his temper at his initial failure to locate him, Nzeogwu found Bello hiding with his wives. Bello was shot by Nzeogwu. Bello’s faithful bodyguard who came to defend him with a bow and arrows was also shot, as well as one of his wives who tried to shield him with her body.'
Yes quite savage bloodletting all brought about by Nzeogwu's loss of temper.Hmmm
It is highly likely from the manner of execution that Nzeogwu and his cohorts had serious personal grudges with their victims
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by AndreUweh(m): 8:18pm On Feb 07, 2011
Katsumoto:

Your post did not in any way highlight that he surrendered to the khaki boys. His family and bodyguard shielded him from arrest and what they got was what they bargained for. If a man with a hand on a trigger comes to arrest you, do you refuse arrest. Your post is a clarity to what am saying.
When the military men of Buhari/Idiagbo came for Ekwueme in Dec 1983, did he resist arrest, did he go into hiding, did his family come to shield him?. If he had done that, what do you think would have happened?.
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by Katsumoto: 8:23pm On Feb 07, 2011
Andre Uweh:

Your post did not in any way highlight that he surrendered to the khaki boys. His family and bodyguard shielded him from arrest and what they got was what they bargained for. If a man with a hand on a trigger comes to arrest you, do you refuse arrest. Your post is a clarity to what am saying.
When the military men of Buhari/Idiagbo came for Ekwueme in Dec 1983, did he resist arrest, did he go into hiding, did his family come to shield him?. If he had done that, what do you think would have happened?.

Do you realise the import of what you typed above? Please think about it again? So when armed robbers come to your house and you hide with your kids, the robbers are justified for killing you and your kids when found simply because you sought to protect yourself. I tire for your arguyment.
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by Nobody: 8:23pm On Feb 07, 2011
Andre Uweh:

What do you mean by that obfuscating comment? Clearly Bello was already under armed arrest when he was shot. I strongly suspect that the shooting of his wife happened as Nzeogwu decided to eliminate him.
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by EzeUche2(m): 8:28pm On Feb 07, 2011
The fact remains that Ahmadu Bello should not have been killed.

All the other politicians were expendable. Okotie-Eboh, Akintola, Balewa etc were all expendable, but Ahmadu Bello was a prize and they should have kept him alive, because he would have proved useful as a bargaining chip.

I will repeat. You do not kill the #2 man for the Sokoto Caliphate. Someone who could have been the Sultan of Sokoto. A direct descendant of Uthman Dan Fodio.

His death spelled the end for the Igbo in the Northern region. Akintola was just a stooge for Balewa.

What I don't understand is why the West reacted in such a manner. Awolowo was freed so why the wahala? Opportunistic?
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by NegroNtns(m): 8:28pm On Feb 07, 2011
Hehehe!!!   grin grin   Funny people!
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by jason123: 8:31pm On Feb 07, 2011
EzeUche_:

All the other politicians were expendable. Okotie-Eboh, Akintola, Balewa etc were all expendable, but Ahmadu Bello was a prize and they should have kept him alive, because he would have proved useful as a bargaining chip.

I will repeat. You do not kill the #2 man for the Sokoto Caliphate. Someone who could have been the Sultan of Sokoto. A direct descendant of Uthman Dan Fodio.

His death spelled the end for the Igbo in the Northern region. Akintola was just a stooge for Balewa.

What I don't understand is why the West reacted in such a manner. Awolowo was freed so why the wahala? Opportunistic?

Funny!!!
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by EzeUche2(m): 8:34pm On Feb 07, 2011
People from the former now defunct Western region, why the reaction?

It is understandable that the north reacted in such a way, but from all accounts, the people of the West supported the coup.

There was no love lost with Akintola, so why the reaction?

I still never understood that. And it is a fair question.
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by jason123: 8:36pm On Feb 07, 2011
EzeUche_:

It is understandable that the north reacted in such a way, but from all accounts, the people of the West supported the coup.

I still never understood that.

Another funny statement.
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by Katsumoto: 8:36pm On Feb 07, 2011
EzeUche_:

What reaction are you referring to? Be very clear.

1 Like

Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by Nobody: 8:37pm On Feb 07, 2011
EzeUche_:

I
Bargaining chip for what? Did Nzeogwu truly know the sort of Pandora box he was opening with the selective liquidations. None of these guys had trials or convictions remember,
so who is to say that the rebels were not motivated by personal grudges or sectional sentiment.
I certainly don't buy that your curious idea that these elected politicians were expendable.
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by Katsumoto: 8:40pm On Feb 07, 2011
tensor777:

Bargaining chip for what? Did Nzeogwu truly know the sort of Pandora box he was opening with the selective liquidations. None of these guys had trials or convictions remember,
so who is to say that the rebels were not motivated by personal grudges or sectional sentiment.
I certainly don't buy that your curious idea that these elected politicians were expendable.

Finally

OnlyTruth, Dede1, Eziachi, and EzeUche will soon attack you.
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by jason123: 8:42pm On Feb 07, 2011
tensor777:

Why did you answer? Watch as Onlytruth would attack . . . . .  lipsrsealed
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by Nobody: 8:45pm On Feb 07, 2011
EzeUche_:

You are asking too many questions here Mazi Ezeuche. So if some vengeful Action Group elements were against Akintola it automatically means they should support Nzeogwu's messy rebellion even though it brought about the demise of their foe Akintola? Politics does not quite work out like that.

Anyway if you are referring to the Ojukwu-Gowon imbroglio, that happened much later and should be considered by and large a separate issue.

1 Like

Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by bkbabe97y(m): 8:48pm On Feb 07, 2011
Why Katsumoto insists on replying the "Crazy Trio" (Eziachi, Dede1, and Andre Uweh) is still beyond me. If you notice I've giving up on them. They know the truth, they know the world knows. . . . With their blatant lies, they aint aiming for me and you, no sirreee, they aim is innocent Ibo kids that are presently reading all of this, that will buy they lies hook, line, and sinker (maybe cause they've heard their parents, uncles, etc state these same lies in the past) and continue to live in hate after they are dead and gone (Eziachi is almost a thousand years old, so he should be gone any minute). . . . .

The ONLY [/b]ones that tell these same lies day in and day out are the Ibos! They arent that stu*pid to think anyone buys their lies, but these monkeys hope to keep hate alive by spreading lies to their younger generation. But, thats their problem! Next time, kill everyone equally! Thats what I say.

Check this out: Now theyve forgotten the role they played in trying to make sure GEJ did not ascend the throne just because hes part of the Ijaw People (and they didnt want another minority group getting to Aso Rock before them). . . . They've forgotten how they rallied around Ojukwu in supporting Gen.IBB. . . .  Theyve "forgotten" all of this; [b]U THINK GEJ WILL EVER FORGET?!
ROFLMAO!!!

Watch 2015, and see them blame the Yorubas again for their gaffes in 2010. . . .

Freaking monkeys!
Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by PhysicsMHD(m): 9:11pm On Feb 07, 2011
Dede1:

@PhysicsMHD and Co

Please let be known that Ironsi did not Abolish Regional Governments in Nigeria. There has never been a time federalism flourished in Nigeria. During the so-called first republic, the armed forces and police were controlled by the central government, the most resources of the regions were controlled by federal government and all the air and sea ports are controlled by the government at the center. I guess some folks have serious reading to perform.

There were four regions in federation under Ironsi regime and operated as when under Tafawa. The major difference was the military governors replaced the regional premiers.

Gowon abolished the regions and introduced 12 states in 1967.

The unification decree actual has little or nothing with the system of government. It unified the civil service and vacated the authority of Emirs as found in Local Govt. Authority. The instances of this action terrified the northerners who had benefited from the nepotism perpetrated by machinations of Local Govt. Authority. Most of the beneficiaries of the mentioned nepotism were the coup plotters of July 29, 1966 who wore the uniform of Nigerian army officer which they are not qualified to wash. They really thought that unification of civil service code was a tactical approach to kick them out of the army.

1. Then who did abolish the regions? Why do I have the feeling that this is just semantics? This wouldn't be the first time.  undecided

2. What was the post-1960 Western region doing spending so much of that cocoa money only on the Western region if some super-powerful federal government was actually controlling each region's resources? To the best of my knowledge, they were not stopped in spending it only on themselves. Same with groundnut for the North.

3. A decree with abolishes regional governments has nothing to do with system of government? Please explain.

4. Can you provide any evidence concerning these Emirs exploiting LGA's for nepotistic acts and what relation this could have to the motivations of the July counter-coup plotters?

5. How was the civil service divided in such a way that the Emirs and/or Northern soldiers were separate and able to exploit the system for corrupt or nepotistic practices that they would be unable to practice when the civil service of all the regions were united? If a Northern civilian government came to power at the center after Ironsi's change of civil service and LGA's, what would stop that Northern led federal government from not only re-instituting nepotism, but possibly applying it over a wider spread than just the north - for example,  appointing some unqualified Northern relative of an Emir or Fulani nobility as some commissioner or official in Lagos, Port Harcourt, Benin, Enugu etc.?

Isn't it obvious that the only way that could possibly be stopped  would be if a regional government in the West, East, and Midwest had some degree of independent authority and prevented this northern civilian government from doing so? But when you eliminate all authority independent of the center, no major group can be stopped from doing so - "Hausa=Fulanis." Yorubas, and of course, Igbos. Perhaps you can now see what the Northerners saw. Nobody thought too highly of Ironsi after his governance - not Ojukwu (read Emeka, where he lets Forsyth just portray Ironsi as a dummy), not Nwobosi, not Ademoyega, and Victor Banjo thought Ironsi's actions proved he was so stupid he needed to be eliminated  (and Banjo attempted to do it himself but was caught) without any concerns about LGA's or nepotism.

1 Like

Re: Video Footage Of Aguiyi-ironsi, Nzeogwu, Sardauna’s House, Katsina…. by Dede1(m): 9:14pm On Feb 07, 2011
Katsumoto:

You can carry on till kingdom come but Nigeria had an elected democracy and the murder of a few politicians should not lead to the truncation of the nascent democracy. If it were so, every time an American president was asassassinatedthe military would take over. As long as a nation has citizens who have been elected or are capable of being elected, the military has no right or business in taking over. No soldier, I repeat, no soldier has the requisite training or right to lead a country. We only have to look at successive military governments to know that African soldiers are not equipped to lead their countries.

Based on your weak argument, I put it to you that you only argue that Ironsi was right to take over because he was Igbo. Since the NPC rejected Mbu as the choice of NCNC for the position of PM preferring its own candidate (Dipcharima) Orizu preferred to handover to Ironsi because he was a fellow Igbo. That is the reason the coup was called an Igbo coup. You can't eat your cake and have it. For all the moral arguments that supported the coup, it was tarnished by its manner and execution. The subsequent actions of Igbo sons also lent credence to that point.

Why do some Igbo sons think that they are the only ones who are smart? Do you think that the rest of us are fools. Igbo sons went and killed every prominent soldier and politician who wasn't Igbo. Another Igbo son capitalised on the opportunity offered by the murder prominent citizens. Then Igbo politicians equally sought to capitalise on the situation but when that failed, Orizu preferred to handover to Ironsi another Igbo.

Na tree wey near tree na hin make monkey dey smart.

I would not have joined issue with you if indeed what happened in January 15, 1966 was mere killing of few politicians as you would like to claim. Nigeria had no elected or unelected government as at the morning of January 16, 1966. You seemed to have hailed from a Nigeria known to me. Tafawa government had been overthrown, the parliament dissolved by the coup plotters and all political activities, including political parties, banned.

If Ironsi did not miraculously hold to the command of the section of Nigerian army in Lagos, we would not have this dialogue.

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (43) (Reply)

Wike Bans IPOB, Stanley Mgbere Declared Wanted, N50 Million Bounty Placed On Him / Alhassan Ado Doguwa: I Have 4 Wives, 27 Children & Still Counting / Umahi Orders The Arrest Of Godfrey Chikwere Over Facebook Post He Made

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.