Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,686 members, 7,816,796 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:25 PM

Random Musings On Religion. - Religion (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Random Musings On Religion. (4460 Views)

My Thoughts On Religion I / My Conclusion on Religion / Brilliant Quotes on Religion By Thomas Paine And Robert Ingersoll. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Random Musings On Religion. by Dantedasz(m): 4:02pm On Jun 10, 2023
Dantedasz:
Origins of gods.
1. YAHWEH
How Yahweh,Asherah ,Baal,El and other valley gods of Caanan became one single god of war and storms. (The metamorphosis of Yahweh).

So in the old testament of the Christian Bible, the god Yahweh (an amalgamation of various gods into one single god) becomes the god of the nation of Israel and Judah. This god is a god of storms and conquest,who leads the nation of Israel into their battles of conquest into the lands of the inhabitants of Caanan.
There are various chapters in the old testament of the Bible where the violent characteristics of this god are extolled. Sodom and Gomorrah(Genesis,chapter 19),Lot's wife( Genesis, chapter 19.26),conquests of the canaanite lands(Joshua,chapter 7:1-26),the human sacrifice of Jephthah's daughter(Judges chapter 11:30-40),Noahs flood(Genesis, chapter 6)and so many more atrocities are the calling card of this god through out the old testament of the Bible.

The strange point is that this god undergoes another transformation in the Christian new testament of the Bible and becomes a totally different entity;THE GOD OF THE NEW TESTAMENT.

1 Like

Re: Random Musings On Religion. by Dantedasz(m): 4:52pm On Jun 11, 2023
The god of the new testament in the Bible comes across as a totally different deity from Yahweh of the old testament.
This god is presented as a loving, caring, benevolent, omnipotent and omniscient deity. This god is a complete difference to the violent storm and war god of the old testament.
Examples of the characteristics of this new testament god are rampant throughout the new testament.
This entity is said to so love the world that he gave the world his only begotten son as a sacrifice. (John chapter 3 verse 16).
This entity is presented as faithful to his children/followers; Ask and you shall receive. Knock and the door will be opened. (Mathew chapter 7. Verses 7-8.)
The followers of this entity should not be worried but place their requirements before the entity with faith. (Philippians chapter4 verse 6.)

There are various other chapters that show this god as a kind,loving and benevolent god apparently opposed to war and violence.

A Complete metamorphosis from the god of the old testament, which has led scholars to opine that the Bible is presenting a picture of two different gods,or a progression/evolution of a god as the minds of the writers evolved.

1 Like

Re: Random Musings On Religion. by Dantedasz(m): 5:17pm On Jun 11, 2023
Reconciliation of the varied image of god in the old and new testaments of the Bible.

Anyone who is not a dullard will immediately notice the contrast in the personality,character and image of the god of the Bible in the old and new testaments.

Christians always claim that god is constant. They claim the deity is omnipotent and omniscient. They claim their deity is constant because he knows the future and what it holds. So why does the personality of this god evolve from a violent,war mongering,land grabbing and blood thirsty genocidal being into the loving,peaceful and benevolent god in the new testament.
Any logical christian person who has read the bible has to admit to have silently raised these questions, even if they are scared to voice them out because of indoctrination and the fear of eternal punishment in the ever burning lake of fire. grin

1 Like

Re: Random Musings On Religion. by Dantedasz(m): 5:31pm On Jun 11, 2023
Christians claim that the Bible was written by men ,through the inspiration of God.
This excuse always amuses me because of the uncountable number of contradictions in the Bible. Would an omniscient God inspire one scribe to write "one" and the inspire another scribe to write "three",of the same event?

Christians attempt to explain all these inconsistencies as being due to translations dilemma.
The fact remains that Christians run themselves into a cul-de-sac,when they claim their deity to be omnipotent and omniscient and yet he cannot inspire the writers of a Bible to at least be consistent and shun contradictions.
It is either the Bible is men's writing of their impressions of what they think God is like, OR God is not constant,consistent, omniscient and omnipotent.

My personal opinion is that these books in the Bible were written by men trying to impose their own impressions of what they feel god is like. They created what they feel are the attributes and themes of god. These books were written at different points in history so they will be affected by the culture and knowledge of that epoch.
This is why the god of the old testament evolves into the god of the new testament as the writers evolved and as the culture and knowledge of mankind changed.

1 Like

Re: Random Musings On Religion. by Dantedasz(m): 6:09pm On Jun 18, 2023
Marcion of Sinope

An early theologian named Marcion tried his utmost to explain the startling difference between the god in the old testament and the god in the new testament. He also attempted to create his own bibliography of the various religious books floating around in his era. Thus he was one of the first theologians to attempt to make sense out of the numerous religious books. In fact he created a bible before the bible existed. Unfortunately the religious leaders of the day regarded his views as heretical and his book ended up being destroyed.

Marcion in order to explain the contradictions in the nature of the god of the old and new testaments of the Bible came to a conclusion that there are two(dual) gods in the Bible.
According to him Yahweh the angry,creator god of the old testament was a lower god called the Demiurge.
The god of the new testament,was a superior god to Yahweh and was a universal god of compassion and love and Jesus Christ was his son.
Marcion believed Paul was the true Apostle of christ,and the correct interpreter of the teachings of christ in comparison to the twelve disciples.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.encyclopedia.com/environment/encyclopedias-almanacs-transcripts-and-maps/marcionism&ved=2ahUKEwjv-du1rM3_AhWDolwKHdVAAZoQFnoECCcQAQ&usg=AOvVaw2USLQSaMyYzhEeEVP2STjx

1 Like

Re: Random Musings On Religion. by Dantedasz(m): 9:59am On Jun 19, 2023
The devil's Bible.

Like what I always say,to be a critical thinker,you can not be a part of religion. If you read over various fields and do a lot of research, you can not be a part of religion. Once you start to do research and think critically, the shackles of delusion will fall off and you will begin to see things on a higher and different level. All what you were taught from birth will be shattered. Only if you are ready to banish your FEARS AND DOGMA. A heavy weight will be off your shoulders and you become FREE.
Re: Random Musings On Religion. by Dantedasz(m): 10:14am On Jun 19, 2023
Codex Gigas.

Codex Gigas,also known as the devil's Bible,because of the image of the devil therein.

Re: Random Musings On Religion. by Dantedasz(m): 10:40am On Jun 19, 2023
More.

Re: Random Musings On Religion. by Dantedasz(m): 10:48am On Jun 19, 2023
More.

Re: Random Musings On Religion. by Dantedasz(m): 10:51am On Jun 19, 2023
More.

Re: Random Musings On Religion. by Dantedasz(m): 10:52am On Jun 19, 2023
More.

Re: Random Musings On Religion. by Dantedasz(m): 10:58am On Jun 19, 2023
More

Re: Random Musings On Religion. by Dantedasz(m): 11:02am On Jun 19, 2023
More.

Re: Random Musings On Religion. by Dantedasz(m): 4:37pm On Aug 09, 2023
The immorality of the God of the Bible.

The god of the Bible loves sacrifice. Sacrifices of humanity and animals.

Numbers 28 verses 2-8.

] "Command the people of Israel, and say to them, `My offering, my food for my offerings by fire, my pleasing odor, you shall take heed to offer to me in its due season.'
[6] It is a continual burnt offering, which was ordained at Mount Sinai for a pleasing odor, an offering by fire to the LORD.
[8] The other lamb you shall offer in the evening; like the cereal offering of the morning, and like its drink offering, you shall offer it as an offering by fire, a pleasing odor to the LORD.
[13] and a tenth of fine flour mixed with oil as a cereal offering for every lamb; for a burnt offering of pleasing odor, an offering by fire to the LORD.
Re: Random Musings On Religion. by Dantedasz(m): 4:45pm On Aug 09, 2023
The God of the Bible so loved sacrifice that he commanded his servant Abraham to sacrifice his only child that took him so long to conceive.

Genesis chapter 22.

22 And it came to pass after these things, that God did tempt Abraham, and said unto him, Abraham: and he said, Behold, here I am.

2 And he said, Take now thy son, thine only son Isaac, whom thou lovest, and get thee into the land of Moriah; and offer him there for a burnt offering upon one of the mountains which I will tell thee of.

3 And Abraham rose up early in the morning, and saddled his ass, and took two of his young men with him, and Isaac his son, and clave the wood for the burnt offering, and rose up, and went unto the place of which God had told him.

4 Then on the third day Abraham lifted up his eyes, and saw the place afar off.

5 And Abraham said unto his young men, Abide ye here with the ass; and I and the lad will go yonder and worship, and come again to you.

6 And Abraham took the wood of the burnt offering, and laid it upon Isaac his son; and he took the fire in his hand, and a knife; and they went both of them together.

7 And Isaac spake unto Abraham his father, and said, My father: and he said, Here am I, my son. And he said, Behold the fire and the wood: but where is the lamb for a burnt offering?

8 And Abraham said, My son, God will provide himself a lamb for a burnt offering: so they went both of them together.

9 And they came to the place which God had told him of; and Abraham built an altar there, and laid the wood in order, and bound Isaac his son, and laid him on the altar upon the wood.

10 And Abraham stretched forth his hand, and took the knife to slay his son.

11 And the angel of the Lord called unto him out of heaven, and said, Abraham, Abraham: and he said, Here am I.

12 And he said, Lay not thine hand upon the lad, neither do thou any thing unto him: for now I know that thou fearest God, seeing thou hast not withheld thy son, thine only son from me.

13 And Abraham lifted up his eyes, and looked, and behold behind him a ram caught in a thicket by his horns: and Abraham went and took the ram, and offered him up for a burnt offering in the stead of his son.
Re: Random Musings On Religion. by Dantedasz(m): 4:50pm On Aug 09, 2023
Jephthah's daughter.

Judges chapter 11.

And Jephthah made a vow to the Lord: “If you give the Ammonites into my hands, 31 whatever comes out of the door of my house to meet me when I return in triumph from the Ammonites will be the Lord’s, and I will sacrifice it as a burnt offering.”

32 Then Jephthah went over to fight the Ammonites, and the Lord gave them into his hands. 33 He devastated twenty towns from Aroer to the vicinity of Minnith, as far as Abel Keramim. Thus Israel subdued Ammon.

34 When Jephthah returned to his home in Mizpah, who should come out to meet him but his daughter, dancing to the sound of timbrels! She was an only child. Except for her he had neither son nor daughter. 35 When he saw her, he tore his clothes and cried, “Oh no, my daughter! You have brought me down and I am devastated. I have made a vow to the Lord that I cannot break.”

36 “My father,” she replied, “you have given your word to the Lord. Do to me just as you promised, now that the Lord has avenged you of your enemies, the Ammonites. 37 But grant me this one request,” she said. “Give me two months to roam the hills and weep with my friends, because I will never marry.”

38 “You may go,” he said. And he let her go for two months. She and her friends went into the hills and wept because she would never marry. 39 After the two months, she returned to her father, and he did to her as he had vowed. And she was a virgin.
Re: Random Musings On Religion. by Dantedasz(m): 5:00pm On Aug 09, 2023
What do all these sacrifices and near sacrifices say about morality and the god of the Bible?
He even went as far as sacrificing his begotten son.

John chapter 3 verse 16

16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
Re: Random Musings On Religion. by Caveatemptor(m): 5:36pm On Aug 09, 2023
Dantedasz:
The God of the Bible so loved sacrifice that he commanded his servant Abraham to sacrifice his only child that took him so long to conceive.

Genesis chapter 22.

22 And it came to pass after these things, that God did tempt Abraham, and said unto him, Abraham: and he said, Behold, here I am.

2 And he said, Take now thy son, thine only son Isaac, whom thou lovest, and get thee into the land of Moriah; and offer him there for a burnt offering upon one of the mountains which I will tell thee of.

3 And Abraham rose up early in the morning, and saddled his ass, and took two of his young men with him, and Isaac his son, and clave the wood for the burnt offering, and rose up, and went unto the place of which God had told him.

4 Then on the third day Abraham lifted up his eyes, and saw the place afar off.

5 And Abraham said unto his young men, Abide ye here with the ass; and I and the lad will go yonder and worship, and come again to you.

6 And Abraham took the wood of the burnt offering, and laid it upon Isaac his son; and he took the fire in his hand, and a knife; and they went both of them together.

7 And Isaac spake unto Abraham his father, and said, My father: and he said, Here am I, my son. And he said, Behold the fire and the wood: but where is the lamb for a burnt offering?

8 And Abraham said, My son, God will provide himself a lamb for a burnt offering: so they went both of them together.

9 And they came to the place which God had told him of; and Abraham built an altar there, and laid the wood in order, and bound Isaac his son, and laid him on the altar upon the wood.

10 And Abraham stretched forth his hand, and took the knife to slay his son.

11 And the angel of the Lord called unto him out of heaven, and said, Abraham, Abraham: and he said, Here am I.

12 And he said, Lay not thine hand upon the lad, neither do thou any thing unto him: for now I know that thou fearest God, seeing thou hast not withheld thy son, thine only son from me.

13 And Abraham lifted up his eyes, and looked, and behold behind him a ram caught in a thicket by his horns: and Abraham went and took the ram, and offered him up for a burnt offering in the stead of his son.

An omnipresent entity should have known how the Abraham/Isaac issue would have ended, hence no need for the sadistic trial/sacrifice. undecided
Re: Random Musings On Religion. by Dantedasz(m): 5:12pm On Aug 10, 2023
Caveatemptor:

An omnipresent entity should have known how the Abraham/Isaac issue would have ended, hence no need for the sadistic trial/sacrifice. undecided

The god of the Bible needed the Israelites to mark their doors with blood so that he could differentiate their first born children from those of the Egyptians on the passover event. That God was never omniscient.
Re: Random Musings On Religion. by Dantedasz(m): 2:44pm On Sep 12, 2023
The inconsistency of religion is so amusing. I enjoy watching Christians and islamists twist on their own hooks when confronted by superior/rational intelligence. They know they can't defend their gods and their religious books because they just don't make sense. Ask 100 religious people a question and you will probably get 100 inconsistent answers. The only consistency in religion is the inconsistency.
Absurdity upon Absurdity.

I just want to appeal. I don't want to be preached to. I don't want to attend your revivals. I have read your religious book front to back,so what makes you feel I am gonna be convinced by your silly tracts? I don't believe your book of talking snakes and talking donkeys. Why should I believe tracts compressed from therein?

I am going to tell you something today. There are no books more inconsistent in the world today than the bible and the quoran. In fact if there was the complete eradication of everything/human on earth today and new people were created. These new people created will still create thousands of religions,thousands of gods and thousands of philosophies .
The insanity of religion is the multiplicity of its teachings and the absurd fact that an omnipotent and omniscient deity cannot reveal himself and his true words to its adherents.
Think about it for a second.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Racism Is Like Hating God! Why Do Muslims/islam Hate Jews?! / Prayer Meeting With TB Joshua's son Wiseman Daniel at Velodrome, Abuja / 'Christians', Abraham Is Not Your Father!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.