Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,060 members, 7,818,178 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:32 AM

Do I Tell My American Patient He's Being Scammed By A Nigerian Romance Scammer? - Romance (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Do I Tell My American Patient He's Being Scammed By A Nigerian Romance Scammer? (75533 Views)

Scammed By A Lady. Any Chance Of Getting My Money Back? / How Do I Tell My Fiancee That I Am Tired Of Incessant Sex? / How Do I Tell My Neighbour She Has Staph? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do I Tell My American Patient He's Being Scammed By A Nigerian Romance Scammer? by sisisioge: 6:37am On Aug 14, 2020
Chai! Please tell him! All these yahoo yahoo just want to completely ruin our image outside this country! Besides, how stuupid could these oyinbos be sef! Hian! Upon all the stories they've been hearing about love scams yet they are still falling for the same old format! Whew! You can't fix stupiid!

1 Like

Re: Do I Tell My American Patient He's Being Scammed By A Nigerian Romance Scammer? by anonimi: 6:38am On Aug 14, 2020

1 Like

Re: Do I Tell My American Patient He's Being Scammed By A Nigerian Romance Scammer? by deejayx5: 6:40am On Aug 14, 2020
Please in the name of anything dear to you please tell him, am sure he will handle it like a man.
Re: Do I Tell My American Patient He's Being Scammed By A Nigerian Romance Scammer? by success97: 6:41am On Aug 14, 2020
Alex please tell him before the guy realizes it too late.

But try to explain to him that not every Nigerian is like that. To avoid him stereotyping Nigerians.
Re: Do I Tell My American Patient He's Being Scammed By A Nigerian Romance Scammer? by fapcrook(m): 6:41am On Aug 14, 2020
NobleSeed:
me can't fathom what you mean by America patient ooh.
read well you can see 'disability check ' the govt wants to do on the American
Re: Do I Tell My American Patient He's Being Scammed By A Nigerian Romance Scammer? by NnamdiN: 6:42am On Aug 14, 2020
ALEX182:

True talk. I will help the guy.
you have American colleagues. Tell them to tell him.
Re: Do I Tell My American Patient He's Being Scammed By A Nigerian Romance Scammer? by focus7: 6:42am On Aug 14, 2020
chukwuibuipob:
undecided undecided fake Tori.U can only deceive the dumb pipu with diz Ur Arabian tales..Show us Ur chat/convo.

Yahoo boy spotted.

The man won spoil show for your guy
Re: Do I Tell My American Patient He's Being Scammed By A Nigerian Romance Scammer? by highskies(m): 6:43am On Aug 14, 2020
I hope you get to read this.

If you have a superior, first inform him/her about your suspicion. Hopefully, they either give you the go ahead or tell the patient themselves.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do I Tell My American Patient He's Being Scammed By A Nigerian Romance Scammer? by OgbeniSamm(m): 6:44am On Aug 14, 2020
ALEX182:
So I have this American patient who I recently came across. He's a fat dude who is like in his late 40s but has a very jolly and likeable character. I introduced myself and we got talking afterwards.

After a while of chitchat, he asked me where I was from. I told him to take a guess and he said said, you sound like you're Nigerian. I told him (regrettably) that I was Nigerian. He started smiling and told me that he had a Nigerian girlfriend and that we both had similar accents.

He then started telling me recent occurrences that had befallen his girlfriend in Nigeria. He said the lastest story was that she was in Abuja and as she was on her way to the airport in a taxi, the taxi had an accident and she was seriously injured and had to be rushed to the hospital. He said that the hospital demanded money before treatment started and he had to hustle about $4000 and send to her in order for treatment to start.

He said that after a week of her being in the hospital, they wanted to discharge her despite her still being in pain. Because she had exhausted all the $4000 on treatment, he said the hospital had threatened to discharge her on the streets and he was trying to borrow more money to see if he could send it to her so they could continue with her treatments.

He furthermore told me that the girlfriend said that she was a Nigerian American citizen who was currently stuck in Nigeria due to her passport having expired and also due to Covid lockdown at airports in Nigeria. He said she had asked him for $300 to renew her US passport from American embassy in Nigeria.

Another thing that he told me was that just before covid struck, there was a similar pandemic which happened in Nigeria early this year and that his girlfriend had contracted the disease and he had to send her $2000 for treatment. Right now he said he's broke but is waiting for like $2000 disability check from the US government next week which he will send to her as soon as the money clears.

As he was telling me this tale, I was so angry with Nigerians and how they take advantage of people in love to scam them. I wanted to swear for the scammers angry

I'm at a dilemma here. Do I tell him that he's being scammed by Nigerians or do I continue to be professional and just ignore it. Because I don't want him to think I'm involved with it because these oyinbo people can turn everything on your head and accuse you that is your people in conjunction with you that are scamming him. They are that crazy.

The good part of me wants to help him but I'm hesitant that it may turn out bad for me. Please matured responses.

Please safe a life and tell him. After the scammer must have sank him deep in debt, the dude may go into depression and once he gets to know, may lose his life. The fact that he told you means nature wants you to be aware so you can do something about it. Please tell him never to send money to that 'lover' again. Tell him that you smell a rat from the whole story and that he should exercise caution. Just find something to tell or convince him to stop. Thanks

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do I Tell My American Patient He's Being Scammed By A Nigerian Romance Scammer? by Inteltower: 6:45am On Aug 14, 2020
if you like keep hesitating if that guy later finds out and commits suicide just like other cases I have heard his blood will be on your head for being stupid

what if it was God that brought that man to you to save. you already know his character and still hesitant playing the I don't know card.
thunder fire you and this your post
Re: Do I Tell My American Patient He's Being Scammed By A Nigerian Romance Scammer? by musachara: 6:45am On Aug 14, 2020
Just report to the authorities, telling them why you are skeptical of telling him (the victim), directly

ALEX182:
So I have this American patient who I recently came across. He's a fat dude who is like in his late 40s but has a very jolly and likeable character. I introduced myself and we got talking afterwards.

After a while of chitchat, he asked me where I was from. I told him to take a guess and he said said, you sound like you're Nigerian. I told him (regrettably) that I was Nigerian. He started smiling and told me that he had a Nigerian girlfriend and that we both had similar accents.

He then started telling me recent occurrences that had befallen his girlfriend in Nigeria. He said the lastest story was that she was in Abuja and as she was on her way to the airport in a taxi, the taxi had an accident and she was seriously injured and had to be rushed to the hospital. He said that the hospital demanded money before treatment started and he had to hustle about $4000 and send to her in order for treatment to start.

He said that after a week of her being in the hospital, they wanted to discharge her despite her still being in pain. Because she had exhausted all the $4000 on treatment, he said the hospital had threatened to discharge her on the streets and he was trying to borrow more money to see if he could send it to her so they could continue with her treatments.

He furthermore told me that the girlfriend said that she was a Nigerian American citizen who was currently stuck in Nigeria due to her passport having expired and also due to Covid lockdown at airports in Nigeria. He said she had asked him for $300 to renew her US passport from American embassy in Nigeria.

Another thing that he told me was that just before covid struck, there was a similar pandemic which happened in Nigeria early this year and that his girlfriend had contracted the disease and he had to send her $2000 for treatment. Right now he said he's broke but is waiting for like $2000 disability check from the US government next week which he will send to her as soon as the money clears.

As he was telling me this tale, I was so angry with Nigerians and how they take advantage of people in love to scam them. I wanted to swear for the scammers angry

I'm at a dilemma here. Do I tell him that he's being scammed by Nigerians or do I continue to be professional and just ignore it. Because I don't want him to think I'm involved with it because these oyinbo people can turn everything on your head and accuse you that is your people in conjunction with you that are scamming him. They are that crazy.

The good part of me wants to help him but I'm hesitant that it may turn out bad for me. Please matured responses.
Re: Do I Tell My American Patient He's Being Scammed By A Nigerian Romance Scammer? by focus7: 6:45am On Aug 14, 2020
ALEX182:

I said, matured responses. This happened this afternoon at work bruh. It is really troubling me and that's why I asked for advice. I don't have time for fake tales. Ok.

Don't mind the guy. By his response you should know he's also a Yahoo guy, he sees you spoiling show for his type
Re: Do I Tell My American Patient He's Being Scammed By A Nigerian Romance Scammer? by OgbeniSamm(m): 6:46am On Aug 14, 2020
chukwuibuipob:
undecided undecided fake Tori.U can only deceive the dumb pipu with diz Ur Arabian tales..Show us Ur chat/convo.

He begged for mature responses. Go into the kitchen and wash plate, idiot.
Re: Do I Tell My American Patient He's Being Scammed By A Nigerian Romance Scammer? by Erickymania: 6:47am On Aug 14, 2020
ALEX182:

Plz tell him as soon as possible, wait no further.
God bless you as you do so.
Re: Do I Tell My American Patient He's Being Scammed By A Nigerian Romance Scammer? by musachara: 6:47am On Aug 14, 2020
or he could even go on a rampage against any Nigerian he sees

OgbeniSamm:

Please safe a life and tell him. After the scammer must have sank him deep in debt, the dude may go into depression and once he gets to know, may lose his life. The fact that he told you means nature wants you to be aware so you can do something about it. Please tell him never to send money to that 'lover' again. Tell him that you smell a rat from the whole story and that he should exercise caution. Just find something to tell or convince him to stop. Thanks
Re: Do I Tell My American Patient He's Being Scammed By A Nigerian Romance Scammer? by lekspot01(m): 6:50am On Aug 14, 2020
ALEX182:

Why would you tell him? Leave the innocent boy/girl to be cashing our pls. After all he doesn't affect you in any way. Pls don't
Re: Do I Tell My American Patient He's Being Scammed By A Nigerian Romance Scammer? by Olikzy(f): 6:51am On Aug 14, 2020
I think you should tell him in a subtle way. For instance, first let him know that there are good and bad people all over the world regardless of skin colour and race. Then, tell him that the situations he shared with you sound like the operation of scammers but you can't be too sure. And that there is only one way for him to find out which is for him to stop sending her money no matter the problems she come up with. He should try this for three months straight and see if she will still remain his friend. Scammers usually move on to the next victim quickly if a victim is no longer forthcoming.
Re: Do I Tell My American Patient He's Being Scammed By A Nigerian Romance Scammer? by 2cribz: 6:55am On Aug 14, 2020
Its peanuts compared to what boys are taking. Now wire din dey go 200k.i dey find account like dis. I once blew 6000 dollars in two months. Funny tin is today u will take 200, next few days 300. Before you know it 6k don go. Highest u go buy car begin lie dey overhype yourself.i have couple of friends like that. They over hype themselves cos dem dey drive benz. I dont do that
Re: Do I Tell My American Patient He's Being Scammed By A Nigerian Romance Scammer? by favorfavor: 6:57am On Aug 14, 2020
mind your business ode and stick to your job
avoid these yankee nigerians like plague they are something else and l don't in any way support fraud or defrauding people
oya come for me
Re: Do I Tell My American Patient He's Being Scammed By A Nigerian Romance Scammer? by Nobody: 6:58am On Aug 14, 2020
Please tell him, cos if u dont and he eventually find outhe would be suspicious of all Nigerian he meets. These experiences help foster negative stereotypes of groups like Nigerians
Re: Do I Tell My American Patient He's Being Scammed By A Nigerian Romance Scammer? by nnekytravels: 6:59am On Aug 14, 2020
OutsideTheBox:
He's simply one of the numerous vulnerable people who fall for these scams.

~Show him this thread
~Show him videos/News' clips of Nigerian romance scammers on YouTube. I've watched many on NBC, ABC, etc on Tv. You will find their clips on YouTube.
~If you know any family member of his, tell them. Many times these gullible pple send more to these scammers in Nigeria without anyone in their family knowing, but they will step in and stop them from destruction once they find out

After doing the above, leave him be. He will eventually learn that he's being scammed and by then he would've lost a lot of money. You can only do your best to warn him as a good human being.

I completely disagree with this method. This would not only put all Nigerians in bad light but of course you. You could lose a patient and many more patients.

Involving his family too is way beyond it. I believe America is not like Nigeria where every little thing, you can report to someone's family member. People like their privacy. Keep it that way.

And finally, it's not that difficult to want to involve a third party like a social worker. You know your environment better though. If you feel it necessary go ahead.

I'd suggest you put it directly to him as a question like" Have you ever considered online scams? Do you know what it is? Tell him a lot of individuals are involved in online fraud(this has nothing to do with Nigeria) and many more have lost a lot to them. From there, you educate him on online scam and how to be watchful against one.

If he's paying attention, this would leave him inquisitive and wanting to do more findings on his own. This at first may not stop him from chatting with the so called gf but would delay the payment.

Now, give him a day or two to ponder on this. Then, next time, ask him if he thinks at any slightest opportunity the gf could be scamming him?. Remember this has nothing to do with Nigeria, so avoid that word. Educate him, leave him yearning for more, counsel him. He's after all your patient and needs all the help he can get.
Re: Do I Tell My American Patient He's Being Scammed By A Nigerian Romance Scammer? by anthropizzy(m): 7:02am On Aug 14, 2020
ALEX182:

I think you are asking a lame question.You would do him alot of good if you tell him. Am sure he would appreciate it that you are telling him the truth and he would move on.I understand how he is going to feel at first but no sane individual will continue to act dumb and stupid while he knows that he or she is being fleeced.
Re: Do I Tell My American Patient He's Being Scammed By A Nigerian Romance Scammer? by TGM2015: 7:06am On Aug 14, 2020
ALEX182:

I said, matured responses. This happened this afternoon at work bruh. It is really troubling me and that's why I asked for advice. I don't have time for fake tales. Ok.
Copy this link and send it to her.
Re: Do I Tell My American Patient He's Being Scammed By A Nigerian Romance Scammer? by amaks: 7:08am On Aug 14, 2020
Tell him, calm him and tell him you both should go and report to the police/FBI, just so they can verify the truthfulness of the story(but you and u know clearly dis na scam). And let him play along with the police. Don't let him suffer more, it'll just be an inevitable bigger more hurtful heartbreak later.
Re: Do I Tell My American Patient He's Being Scammed By A Nigerian Romance Scammer? by Ogodogu(m): 7:09am On Aug 14, 2020
Take his phone , send a stern warning , delete the contacts and block her . Don't have the conversation with him ...he wouldn't listen to you ..trust me, I've been there
Re: Do I Tell My American Patient He's Being Scammed By A Nigerian Romance Scammer? by Lilcyp046(m): 7:09am On Aug 14, 2020
ALEX182:

I think I will. I even asked him if it was Ebola but he said it wasn't and mentioned West Nile virus. Me I don't know if West Nile virus occured in Nigeria earlier this year so I just kept mute and decided to find out.

The guy is so much in love and part of me feels that this will break his heart and lead him to do something drastic. It's so troubling to me and a part of me just wants to waka far and act like it's not my business but another part is burning with anger at the scammers

Many r shouting *Tell him. Tell him*.
1stly calculate how much him don spend n person fit enter coma 4 that.
Calculate wat gonna happen to his Happiness.
I know u r very angry with Nigerians with d scam shi but also remember to mind ur business bro cox this fit fall on ur head las las.
Not in support of anyshii nd I know u r so pissed cox of Dat but u shd know DA the White Dude fit blast u sef if u de try tell him "dats if the love don carry him go far". N u know how de do think n react to things.
Re: Do I Tell My American Patient He's Being Scammed By A Nigerian Romance Scammer? by OROSUNBOLB(m): 7:15am On Aug 14, 2020
ALEX182:

Do you even need to ask anybody before doing the right thing ? Please tell the white guy right now ! You can't afford to cover up crimes as that will make you a criminal too.
Re: Do I Tell My American Patient He's Being Scammed By A Nigerian Romance Scammer? by Nobody: 7:16am On Aug 14, 2020
Dude, Tell him.
Re: Do I Tell My American Patient He's Being Scammed By A Nigerian Romance Scammer? by playcharles(m): 7:18am On Aug 14, 2020
Please tell him... it won't be well with you and your generation to come that keep scamming people , if you still have a mum and dad that encourages you with your ill gotten wealth, Na stroke them go both carry to their death
Re: Do I Tell My American Patient He's Being Scammed By A Nigerian Romance Scammer? by DAVE5(m): 7:22am On Aug 14, 2020
Ategberoson:
imagine over $6,000 sent already

exchange rate 384×6000= 2304000

before you know it Voom! dem don buy SUV, Benz and other car, going to clubs, sleeping in hotel, carrying olosho

And the money would finish

Those guys are heartless, ripping off other people to live flamboyant for 2 weeks
Re: Do I Tell My American Patient He's Being Scammed By A Nigerian Romance Scammer? by Nobody: 7:23am On Aug 14, 2020
Casan0va:
All those dollars will be spent in the club, clothes, drinks, fake life, weed, etc.
2 weeks later, the ambitionless eediot is broke and posting stupid,dumb and idiotic motivational quotes.

Scammers disgust me. angry angry angry angry angry

When Falz said "This is Nigeria, everybody be criminal"
Some people were foaming at the mouth and spitting vitriol saying that there are honest Nigerians who work two jobs blah blah blah
Falz was right. Over 97% of Nigerians are criminally minded.
You may not have started scamming foreigners, but you scam your country men, you ca, your blood brothers.
As a trader, you swear on your mother's life that you are selling at a loss because market is slow but in reality you're ripping the customer off.
Any small opportunity you see, you try to make a quick buck.
I'm talking to myself also. We need to change.
Nigerians are never to be trusted. If it were up to me, only Nigerians with viable money making skills would be allowed into my country and they would have "five strikes" of misdemeanour. If they trespass against the law more than five times, depending on the degree of the offence, they would be deported and visa revoked.

This sounds harsh, but is necessary.

Look at this guy trying to rationalise fraud. Are you the only one suffering?
Poverty is your mindset to be very honest.

Have a great day. cool
this particular guy you quoted, what's fraudulent about him?
He is dating an American and hope to meet her in person so that they can get married and you call it fraud?
This is the same bush mentality that SARS have, you people believe it's fraudulent to be dating someone from a foreign country. WTF?
People will still be wondering why foreigners think Africa is a continent of foools
Tuueeeh
Re: Do I Tell My American Patient He's Being Scammed By A Nigerian Romance Scammer? by Oyecool: 7:25am On Aug 14, 2020
Hello brother, the best you could do is to get the details of the said Nigerian lady from your patient and do an independent investigations and come up with quick conclusion on how to unveiled the truth to your patient, I guess you are an health worker?
Safe yourself and your country from this shameful element who took advantage of that what white guy to tarnish the image good and hardworking Nigerian.

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (21) (Reply)

Why Do Married Couples Have Their Partner's Nude Pictures On Their Phone? / Bride To-be Grabs Her Fiance's Butt In Pre-wedding Photo / 13-Year-Old Boy Woos Lady On Facebook, She Laments, Blames Mark Zuckerberg

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 111
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.