Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,128 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:49 PM

Do I Tell My American Patient He's Being Scammed By A Nigerian Romance Scammer? - Romance (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Do I Tell My American Patient He's Being Scammed By A Nigerian Romance Scammer? (75597 Views)

Scammed By A Lady. Any Chance Of Getting My Money Back? / How Do I Tell My Fiancee That I Am Tired Of Incessant Sex? / How Do I Tell My Neighbour She Has Staph? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do I Tell My American Patient He's Being Scammed By A Nigerian Romance Scammer? by Champneys: 7:35am On Aug 14, 2020
ALEX182:
So I have this American patient who I recently came across. He's a fat dude who is like in his late 40s but has a very jolly and likeable character. I introduced myself and we got talking afterwards.

After a while of chitchat, he asked me where I was from. I told him to take a guess and he said said, you sound like you're Nigerian. I told him (regrettably) that I was Nigerian. He started smiling and told me that he had a Nigerian girlfriend and that we both had similar accents.

He then started telling me recent occurrences that had befallen his girlfriend in Nigeria. He said the lastest story was that she was in Abuja and as she was on her way to the airport in a taxi, the taxi had an accident and she was seriously injured and had to be rushed to the hospital. He said that the hospital demanded money before treatment started and he had to hustle about $4000 and send to her in order for treatment to start.

He said that after a week of her being in the hospital, they wanted to discharge her despite her still being in pain. Because she had exhausted all the $4000 on treatment, he said the hospital had threatened to discharge her on the streets and he was trying to borrow more money to see if he could send it to her so they could continue with her treatments.

He furthermore told me that the girlfriend said that she was a Nigerian American citizen who was currently stuck in Nigeria due to her passport having expired and also due to Covid lockdown at airports in Nigeria. He said she had asked him for $300 to renew her US passport from American embassy in Nigeria.

Another thing that he told me was that just before covid struck, there was a similar pandemic which happened in Nigeria early this year and that his girlfriend had contracted the disease and he had to send her $2000 for treatment. Right now he said he's broke but is waiting for like $2000 disability check from the US government next week which he will send to her as soon as the money clears.

As he was telling me this tale, I was so angry with Nigerians and how they take advantage of people in love to scam them. I wanted to swear for the scammers angry

I'm at a dilemma here. Do I tell him that he's being scammed by Nigerians or do I continue to be professional and just ignore it. Because I don't want him to think I'm involved with it because these oyinbo people can turn everything on your head and accuse you that is your people in conjunction with you that are scamming him. They are that crazy.

The good part of me wants to help him but I'm hesitant that it may turn out bad for me. Please matured responses.

Mind your business!

Meanwhile, it shall not be well with scammers and fraudsters, enikuuuuure eyin omo ole oni jibiti jatijati.
Re: Do I Tell My American Patient He's Being Scammed By A Nigerian Romance Scammer? by eziezi90(m): 7:44am On Aug 14, 2020
Tell him

Tell him

Tell him

This is not a difficult situation
Re: Do I Tell My American Patient He's Being Scammed By A Nigerian Romance Scammer? by rockstar27(m): 7:44am On Aug 14, 2020
this oyinbo people can never be wise again, they are mugus
why will u be in love with someone far away from u with thousands of meters. is there no lady in their country they are the one giving scammers a chance to dupe them.
please don't tell him oo
Re: Do I Tell My American Patient He's Being Scammed By A Nigerian Romance Scammer? by donbrowser(m): 7:45am On Aug 14, 2020
ALEX182:

I'm in US. The guy is a white guy. I'm a Nigerian.
He will not believe you
Re: Do I Tell My American Patient He's Being Scammed By A Nigerian Romance Scammer? by Shawlambivert(m): 7:47am On Aug 14, 2020
And like he earlier said, they can be crazy. The white dude finding out after going totally broke can trigger that craziness in him, making him probably wanting to take a revenge on you (a fellow Nigerian that he knows). Save him please before we start hearing stories that'll touch.
VickyRotex:

The latest article I see on WNV regarding Nigeria is from 2018.

I can relate to being in such fix but at the end of the day I think it's just right to do the right thing.
See it this way, eventually he's going to find out right?

Which would you prefer; that he finds out now, hopefully able to deal with the pain that comes with scam and betrayal or that he finds out much later after selling all he has just to meet the demand (which is now even more than supply)?

If you're very concerned about you being involved and the uncertainty, maybe you involve a third party that you both know or someone you think can step in as a mock investigator that'll show some proofs and all to him while also observing from afar.

2 Likes

Re: Do I Tell My American Patient He's Being Scammed By A Nigerian Romance Scammer? by Bestbeelieve: 7:48am On Aug 14, 2020
Olude193:

Loool

A patient is a patient

But we get the point!
Re: Do I Tell My American Patient He's Being Scammed By A Nigerian Romance Scammer? by chukwuibuipob: 7:49am On Aug 14, 2020
OgbeniSamm:

He begged for mature responses. My father should Go into the kitchen and wash plate,my father is idiot.
Re: Do I Tell My American Patient He's Being Scammed By A Nigerian Romance Scammer? by jakD: 7:50am On Aug 14, 2020
ALEX182:

That 3rd party thing sounds good. I don't want to breach professional grounds but I want to help. I'll reach out to a social worker then. I work with social workers at my job.

This is a brilliant idea. Why didn't I think of this smiley smiley

My candid advice is you tell him yourself. If he finds out either via the third party or on his own, you think he's still gonna like you?
Sit him and tell him. You aren't doing bad by telling him and God willing, you won't regret it.
Re: Do I Tell My American Patient He's Being Scammed By A Nigerian Romance Scammer? by ekwerendi(m): 7:51am On Aug 14, 2020
ALEX182:

I think I will. I even asked him if it was Ebola but he said it wasn't and mentioned West Nile virus. Me I don't know if West Nile virus occured in Nigeria earlier this year so I just kept mute and decided to find out.

The guy is so much in love and part of me feels that this will break his heart and lead him to do something drastic. It's so troubling to me and a part of me just wants to waka far and act like it's not my business but another part is burning with anger at the scammers

Don't tell him.... Mind your business oooooo
It can increase his ailment..

1 Like

Re: Do I Tell My American Patient He's Being Scammed By A Nigerian Romance Scammer? by chukwuibuipob: 7:52am On Aug 14, 2020
focus7:

My father's a Yahoo boy.

The man won spoil show for my hungry family
kid.
Re: Do I Tell My American Patient He's Being Scammed By A Nigerian Romance Scammer? by Nobody: 7:54am On Aug 14, 2020
ALEX182:
So I have this American patient who I recently came across. He's a fat dude who is like in his late 40s but has a very jolly and likeable character. I introduced myself and we got talking afterwards.

After a while of chitchat, he asked me where I was from. I told him to take a guess and he said said, you sound like you're Nigerian. I told him (regrettably) that I was Nigerian. He started smiling and told me that he had a Nigerian girlfriend and that we both had similar accents.

He then started telling me recent occurrences that had befallen his girlfriend in Nigeria. He said the lastest story was that she was in Abuja and as she was on her way to the airport in a taxi, the taxi had an accident and she was seriously injured and had to be rushed to the hospital. He said that the hospital demanded money before treatment started and he had to hustle about $4000 and send to her in order for treatment to start.

He said that after a week of her being in the hospital, they wanted to discharge her despite her still being in pain. Because she had exhausted all the $4000 on treatment, he said the hospital had threatened to discharge her on the streets and he was trying to borrow more money to see if he could send it to her so they could continue with her treatments.

He furthermore told me that the girlfriend said that she was a Nigerian American citizen who was currently stuck in Nigeria due to her passport having expired and also due to Covid lockdown at airports in Nigeria. He said she had asked him for $300 to renew her US passport from American embassy in Nigeria.

Another thing that he told me was that just before covid struck, there was a similar pandemic which happened in Nigeria early this year and that his girlfriend had contracted the disease and he had to send her $2000 for treatment. Right now he said he's broke but is waiting for like $2000 disability check from the US government next week which he will send to her as soon as the money clears.

As he was telling me this tale, I was so angry with Nigerians and how they take advantage of people in love to scam them. I wanted to swear for the scammers angry

I'm at a dilemma here. Do I tell him that he's being scammed by Nigerians or do I continue to be professional and just ignore it. Because I don't want him to think I'm involved with it because these oyinbo people can turn everything on your head and accuse you that is your people in conjunction with you that are scamming him. They are that crazy.

The good part of me wants to help him but I'm hesitant that it may turn out bad for me. Please matured responses.

Sorry, I have to quote everything so you can get to read this.

I suggest you tell him. But don't just stop there. You have told him you are a Nigerian. Redeem your image. Contact the EFCC on his behalf. Let them recover the money for him.

EFCC will respond if they speak to the oyinbo.

Your own integrity is at stake here unfortunately since you're a Nigerian.

Show him that like you there are good and hardworking Nigerians out there.

Contact the EFCC immediately.
Re: Do I Tell My American Patient He's Being Scammed By A Nigerian Romance Scammer? by TheSociopath(m): 7:55am On Aug 14, 2020
VickyRotex:

lol I do smiley

How have you been?

Been good smiley, and you?

1 Like

Re: Do I Tell My American Patient He's Being Scammed By A Nigerian Romance Scammer? by IgbalodeRaymond: 7:56am On Aug 14, 2020
FrLukas:

Sorry, I have to quote everything so you can get to read this.

I suggest you tell him. But don't just stop there. You have told him you are a Nigerian. Redeem your image. Contact the EFCC on his behalf. Let them recover the money for him.

EFCC will respond if they speak to the oyinbo.

Your own integrity is at stake here unfortunately since you're a Nigerian.

Show him that like you there are good and hardworking Nigerians out there.

Contact the EFCC immediately.
cool
frLukas
Re: Do I Tell My American Patient He's Being Scammed By A Nigerian Romance Scammer? by Mires: 7:58am On Aug 14, 2020
ALEX182:

Please, make him to see you as a true and caring friend in addition to the services you are rendering professionally.

Established this as fast as possible. Thereafter, asked him, if he mind that you should speak with his Nigerian girl friend in his presence.

I am sure he will agree to that. Immediately you finished speaking to the supposedly girl friend, tell the man the truth in a friendly and professional way. Counsel him and tell him to move on with his life
Re: Do I Tell My American Patient He's Being Scammed By A Nigerian Romance Scammer? by sacajawea: 7:58am On Aug 14, 2020
ALEX182:

Yep.
AGBA AAWO!
respect

1 Like

Re: Do I Tell My American Patient He's Being Scammed By A Nigerian Romance Scammer? by thundafire: 7:58am On Aug 14, 2020
ALEX182:

wat a stupid advice because at the end u are also guilty of the scam too,so tell him
Re: Do I Tell My American Patient He's Being Scammed By A Nigerian Romance Scammer? by Allsome: 7:58am On Aug 14, 2020
NobleSeed:
hmm nemesis ni karma kor. Bro what is morally wrong is wrong let's be factual with ourselves. Why reaping someone of his hard earned money.

You are still forming Mr. morals. See, oyibo people are the most terrible people on this earth. I don't even pity them one bit.
But the only thing is that they were wise enough to create nonsense things, made them expensive like cars, patek watches, Gucci and Fendi... So even when we have dreams of making it big in life, most times, it is so that we could drive mecerdes....thereby giving back the money we made from them back to them.

Hushpuppy was busy buying patek watches and then different rolls Royce....

Let us focus on being PAN african
Re: Do I Tell My American Patient He's Being Scammed By A Nigerian Romance Scammer? by neyobills: 7:59am On Aug 14, 2020
NaBanga:
ALEX182

Take it from me and leave the matter to the white man. If you get involved, you will have this turned upside down on your head. I have been in this situation and thought I was doing a good deed. I couldn't believe what happened when the person turned me into their enemy of progress. This has actually happened to me twice. I no longer get involved in trying to help people who are being deceived.

Oyinbo people are very lonely souls. These Yahoo guys are giving them what they are missing. Deep down, its due to their selfishness and greed. Surely there are plenty of women nearby who will give the guy a chance, but he does not want them. He wants something better than what he is and what he can offer. The Yahoo guys paint a fantasy than cannot be matched by reality.

Once you tell your patient, he is being tricked, he will liken it to you calling him a fool. He may also feel you don't want him to date women from your country. No matter what you say, something will tell him that you are the liar and not the Yahoo guy. When such people get angry, just be patient for trouble in your life. He can report you for being unprofessional. He could be devious and call the medical board. You may be asking yourself why he would go that far. The reason is that people who reason like the mumu, have to prove they are not at fault. I notice such people tend to have some underlying narcissistic traits. They will do anything to prove you are the problem, so as not to break their fantasy.

My advice is to avoid getting involved. You don't know for a fact that the man is being deceived. You also don't know if he needs that internet companionship to keep him going every day. As the saying goes, "no good deed goes unpunished". I say your village people are calling you.

Flesh and blood didn’t reveal this to you isn’t it??you totally nailed it,dude probably thinks he is still in Naija where everybody Dey do cho cho cho,minding your business is always good buisness.

2 Likes

Re: Do I Tell My American Patient He's Being Scammed By A Nigerian Romance Scammer? by Nobody: 8:00am On Aug 14, 2020
IgbalodeRaymond:
cool
frLukas

smiley
Re: Do I Tell My American Patient He's Being Scammed By A Nigerian Romance Scammer? by TheLasyBuddha: 8:02am On Aug 14, 2020
VickyRotex:

Chitchat doesn't mean phone chat conversation.
You wrote chit-chat, the mumu see Wechat.
Re: Do I Tell My American Patient He's Being Scammed By A Nigerian Romance Scammer? by Powersurge: 8:03am On Aug 14, 2020
ALEX182:

For the sake of everything good, please tell him. And advise him to consult a Nigerian-American professional who is into legit business over there b4 dealing with any NIgerian online.

Ordinary freelance job online you can't do successful if you have NIgeria flag on your profile. Dem don scatter things for legit hustlers finish.
Re: Do I Tell My American Patient He's Being Scammed By A Nigerian Romance Scammer? by whirlwind7(m): 8:06am On Aug 14, 2020
chukwuibuipob:
undecided undecided fake Tori.U can only deceive the dumb pipu with diz Ur Arabian tales..Show us Ur chat/convo.

If it isn't a story by IPOB, then it is fake, right?
How does he produce a chat or details of conversation with someone he is standing face to face and speaking with?
He is speaking with a patient at a hospital, and you are asking for chat. Who is dumb here?

1 Like

Re: Do I Tell My American Patient He's Being Scammed By A Nigerian Romance Scammer? by samsy5460(m): 8:09am On Aug 14, 2020
embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassedRight now my brother, I don't even know if you are a bro or a sis, cos I don't really care, cos I'm very angry. I don't care what other people's comments have led you to decide, but pls you have to at least help that guy out, Now. You've got to convince him with these facts you've got. This has nothing to do with who's perping this evil right now, it's about you being who you are.
This Nation's reputation can't and will never be fixed by others but we the citizens of our nation, Nigeria. Start with you bro. Thanks.
Re: Do I Tell My American Patient He's Being Scammed By A Nigerian Romance Scammer? by swankylay(m): 8:09am On Aug 14, 2020
Please tell him. Cuz of be later finds out, he is going to have him, you and every Nigerian around him. Save yourself now!
Re: Do I Tell My American Patient He's Being Scammed By A Nigerian Romance Scammer? by TheEnlightenedO(m): 8:11am On Aug 14, 2020
This took me back to 2017, I was at a West Palm Beach check cashing store when this Jewish old man walks in, had to be about 60 at least, apparently he had been there before to cash a couple of checks that got returned, and was there to cash another, the lady at the counter refused to help him and he kept insisting that his friend in Jamaica was terribly ill at the hospital with an accident and was there to cash the victims disability check on his behalf, I asked politely to look at the check, saw it was one of those blue papered ones common amongst Nigerian craigslist scammers, so I followed him outside and asked to see a video of his friend or ask his friend to send a video, the friend refused saying they dont allow video recording at the hospital but from the accent I could sense this was a yoruba man, I pleaded with the man not to send anymore money as he was being scammed... OMO. Baba no gree o, he changed the story on me and said I wanted to scam him, that he had known this friend for 9months and trusted the friend, I asked again if he had ever had a video chat with the fellow he said no, this was in 2017 when everyone was doing video chat, even my 2 year old daughter... After a huge scene I left the man to his fate...

Even recently, my classmate from Uni who is American buzzed me that he met this sweet nigerian girl who is mad successful and drives a 2018 Eclass, but is always asking him for $200, $500 with one problem or the other every two weeks, I told Baba he is being scammed, I asked where she lives he said Lekki, I stay close to Lekki whenever I am in Nigeria and at that point I was in Nigeria, so i told him to tell her his friend was in Nigeria with a package for her, till today, Auntie no gree buzz or reply me o... My guy is still licking his wounds, he had sent her over $8k over a matter of months...

Point is: it wont hurt to try to help him find out the truth, but most of them no dey like get sense and can rope you in...

Follow your mind sha

ALEX182:

2 Likes

Re: Do I Tell My American Patient He's Being Scammed By A Nigerian Romance Scammer? by Gracetan: 8:12am On Aug 14, 2020
Pls tell him but he may not believe you.Just do your part

1 Like

Re: Do I Tell My American Patient He's Being Scammed By A Nigerian Romance Scammer? by Nobody: 8:15am On Aug 14, 2020
[quote author=ALEX182 post=92757994][/quote]

What are you still waiting for?

You see someone drowning and you are there waiting till he goes beneath before calling for help right?

I have a canadian lady colleague of mine that was a victim of Nigerian love scam in 2015.

She desperately wanted to marry someone from Africa and she was so nice to me and was hoping i will develop an interest on her but she already had 3 beautiful teen daughters from her previous marriage.

I told her then that I was already taken and we remained good friends till date.

One day, she opened up to me that she had a guy back in Nigeria whom she is getting married to and that she had already sent a total of $10k to her husband to be in Nigeria to set up a business that will be generating money for both of them since they are about to get married.

She has previously sent $2k for the idiot in Nigeria to process his visa to the US and the guy said he was denied and now she started contemplating of relocating to Nigeria since they already have a thriving business back in Nigeria as claimed by the thief in Nigeria.

She went as far as getting Nigerian visa from Nigerian embassy in DC and was about purchasing a flight ticket to Nigeria but the idiot in Nigeria stopped picking her calls since she got her Nigerian visa.

The saddest part is that she was so worried about the idiot's well-being and then said to me that the idiot has refused to do live video calls with her and has refused to send the company registration details for their business in Nigeria with her name on it as joint partners.

It was at this point that i bluntly told her that she has been scammed and she quietly excused herself from work and didn't show up for over a week.

She took time off from work to cry out her heart and then started putting every piece togther on their previous conversations where he was always evasive when she demands to know some personal things about the guy and their business for which she sent $10k.

To cut the long story short, you don't have to hesitate because this guy is already on disability and the disability check he receives is for his upkeep and not the flashy upkeep of one thief in Nigeria.

Stop watching him drown, do the needful.

3 Likes

Re: Do I Tell My American Patient He's Being Scammed By A Nigerian Romance Scammer? by seunajia: 8:15am On Aug 14, 2020
FanOfMyself:
The truth is that if there's truly a Nigerian lady ( i.e not a yahoo guy) then you need to see things from the perspective of this lady. Yes she might have lied (we ain't 100% sure that all she have told him are lies), but she might also be willing and ready to meet up with this your patient and even marry him at the end. Nigeria is really messed up economically and people here are struggling.
Let me just tell you this.
I'm in a similar situation also and the only difference is that I am a guy. I met this African American lady online sometime in February and we got acquainted pretty fast. Fast forward to today, she's really been helpful to me in financially and by extension, people close to me. In fact, I have been able to pay for tech skill and got certified all because of her. Yes I do lie to her sometimes ( infact most times) in order to get some dollars, but I really appreciate and I have feelings for her and I hope to meet her in person one day. So please consider the lady.

I have a question... Are you a lady or a man? Just curious oo

beejay501:
Ogbeni no spoil person hustle o...u no no as client day hard to see nowadays.
Now u wan cast person paying client..even God go vex for u

You're a thief and a criminal. People used to hide things like this, but here you are boldly telling the whole world that you are a scammer. Instead of you to go out and work, you're stealing people's sweat, tears and blood. And by way of that, you are smearing the name of the country and some of its good citizens who are legitimate.

You think you will get away with it, you think karma won't catch up with you?
Re: Do I Tell My American Patient He's Being Scammed By A Nigerian Romance Scammer? by Nobody: 8:19am On Aug 14, 2020
4110 At Work. Tell Him So As 2 Reduce D Bad Reputation Of D Country.

1 Like

Re: Do I Tell My American Patient He's Being Scammed By A Nigerian Romance Scammer? by Nobody: 8:20am On Aug 14, 2020
Please do. You'll be doing Nigeria a great favour.
Re: Do I Tell My American Patient He's Being Scammed By A Nigerian Romance Scammer? by osaslord500(m): 8:21am On Aug 14, 2020
VickyRotex:

Chitchat doesn't mean phone chat conversation.

I would advice you only tell him to be careful with this Nigerian girl. You can't just go and tell him she's a fraud, because you never can tell if it's real and she truly needs help. A video call would help.
Re: Do I Tell My American Patient He's Being Scammed By A Nigerian Romance Scammer? by freenature: 8:23am On Aug 14, 2020
ALEX182:

please tell him and involve the right authority to investigate the issue for him to recover his money.

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (21) (Reply)

'Lack Of Sex Will Make You Mad' - Nigerian "Slay Queen" / How Much Bean Cake Will You Buy, If You Come Across This Pretty Lady? / If You Are Looking For A Wife, Come & Marry Me - Nigerian Lady (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 137
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.