Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,052 members, 7,810,931 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:36 PM

Why You Should Not Travel To Northern Cyprus! - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why You Should Not Travel To Northern Cyprus! (65299 Views)

Nigeria Warns Nationals Against Travelling To Northern Cyprus See Brutal Details / Video Of Out Of School Children In Northern Nigeria Stir Panic Online / Universities In Northern Cyprus ‘illegal’ – Ambassador (University World News) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why You Should Not Travel To Northern Cyprus! by idogbo(m): 3:44pm On Aug 25, 2020
Bros abeg stop to the lie cheap lie all in d name of writing an article, there is no way electricity will be that high... U open factory , u pay for what u use that is why it is pay as you go... Stop giving false information please.... Yes we know d cost of living is high in Northern Cyprus but then u can't compare to places in Europe if you ever had an opportunity of visiting any. No go de do pass yourself bro if abroad no favor you go house. No b do or die...

4 Likes

Re: Why You Should Not Travel To Northern Cyprus! by JoshB92: 3:45pm On Aug 25, 2020
No b all abroad b abroad

This is the end of the matter

2 Likes

Re: Why You Should Not Travel To Northern Cyprus! by Nobody: 3:46pm On Aug 25, 2020
Darkerberry:

I re read your initial comment and saw that you indicated "if you have your money"
Thats true cos i know it's not as easy for people that went their for a 2 yeas contract jobs living in an overcrowded room as those who went their to HUSTLE or at least have a side hustle.

True that.

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Not Travel To Northern Cyprus! by Investnow2017: 3:46pm On Aug 25, 2020
benflow7:
I stand to say most of this write up are not founded as I currently live here; you just over exaggerated things just like the trending news making rounds. Taxi cost is less as twice as you mentioned sir and accommodation fee are charged per session and not per semester as claimed by the writer which is about 1800-1900$ per session and a session is for 10 months. Other claims also spoke about electric bill and the likes; depending on your consumption you pay an average of 70-120 Turkish lira for electric bill. Travel within two state used to cost 10 tl before the pandemic and within a state bus fare is about 4tl and taxi is 20tl. Yes Cyprus is an educational friendly island and I concur and it’s not the government that lured you with a lucrative job waiting for you. Stop been a peddler of fake news all in the name of earring your view. The same island you complain about it’s still the same some few are making it without adding Sheddy deals. The island is safe though not under EU yet cos of the break away they had with the south but it might interest you to know that Uk has an embassy here and they boast of having tourist come in from different part of Europe on yearly basis.
Their citizens also attend their universities as I have some as friends, even foreigners aside from third world nations have few nationals here cos their tuition is cheaper as compared most part in Europe. Accommodation is cheap if compared with European nations. Please get your facts and acts right and don’t be a rumor monger
If you are currently school there, their educational standard must be abhorrably poor. Take care

14 Likes

Re: Why You Should Not Travel To Northern Cyprus! by Bahamas95(m): 3:46pm On Aug 25, 2020
The next topic I wanna see on Nairaland should be..........

WHY YOU SHOULD NOT TRAVEL TO NORTHERN NIGERIA

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why You Should Not Travel To Northern Cyprus! by SweetDipBenny(m): 3:46pm On Aug 25, 2020
Anything North is a no no
Re: Why You Should Not Travel To Northern Cyprus! by southpole: 3:49pm On Aug 25, 2020
able88:
You just blacklisted a beautiful country. How long have you lived there to know all these?
Or is it hearsays?
If a school must seize your original certificates to force you school there then the situation is worse than described in this article

14 Likes

Re: Why You Should Not Travel To Northern Cyprus! by ofonimi: 3:50pm On Aug 25, 2020
This is the kind of information ministries of foreign affairs and information suppose to give to intended students that would want to travel to Cyprus or any unsafe country for further education. Thanks bro for sharing.

9 Likes

Re: Why You Should Not Travel To Northern Cyprus! by southpole: 3:51pm On Aug 25, 2020
SweetDipBenny:
Anything North is a no no
Including North america (USA and Canada)?
Re: Why You Should Not Travel To Northern Cyprus! by picklighthouse: 3:51pm On Aug 25, 2020
The warning is apt. I hope people would take caution. The grass is not always greener on the other side.

But I disagree with the statement suggesting that we at home are more at risk than people out there. It is not true. There is insecurity everywhere. People choose the one they can live with.

4 Likes

Re: Why You Should Not Travel To Northern Cyprus! by Onlinebar: 3:53pm On Aug 25, 2020
My cousin went there to study and has been there for more than a decade. Not sure what he's still doing there

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Should Not Travel To Northern Cyprus! by Chieugene: 4:02pm On Aug 25, 2020
God help our citizens and touch our leaders to do the right thing in this country
Re: Why You Should Not Travel To Northern Cyprus! by Nobody: 4:02pm On Aug 25, 2020
Folabifreeman:

Yes I understand but what I'm saying is that at least you'll: 1) escape this shithole country
2) stone throw away from the EU
3) escape this shithole country
I'm sorry but your comment is not wise. They held their Governments' neck so as to be developed, why not hold yours too so as to be developed like them? I've actually heard unpleasant stories about this Cyprus and the op is so correct and your counsel WRONG

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Not Travel To Northern Cyprus! by Chieugene: 4:03pm On Aug 25, 2020
[Chai, send him transport money to come backquote author=Onlinebar post=93211804]My cousin went there to study and has been there for more than a decade. Not sure what he's still doing there[/quote]
Re: Why You Should Not Travel To Northern Cyprus! by Nobody: 4:05pm On Aug 25, 2020
Ladycewhy:
Let he that has ear heat now o. I am glad the op choose not to keep quiet, many Nigerians who have been fvcked over choose to lick their wounds in silence.
na shame dey catch them grin
Re: Why You Should Not Travel To Northern Cyprus! by MemoriesAndMe: 4:06pm On Aug 25, 2020
ideabuilder:
The part that got me is where you said North Cyprus is safer than Nigeria.

Anybody that die overseas have 100 times tendency to die in Nigeria if he had stayed.

Please at any slight opportunity run away from Nigeria
But some diasporans are planning to return to Nigeria though.
Re: Why You Should Not Travel To Northern Cyprus! by yean1(m): 4:07pm On Aug 25, 2020
Well said
Re: Why You Should Not Travel To Northern Cyprus! by Greenbirth: 4:09pm On Aug 25, 2020
benflow7:
I stand to say most of this write up are not founded as I currently live here; you just over exaggerated things just like the trending news making rounds. Taxi cost is less as twice as you mentioned sir and accommodation fee are charged per session and not per semester as claimed by the writer which is about 1800-1900$ per session and a session is for 10 months. Other claims also spoke about electric bill and the likes; depending on your consumption you pay an average of 70-120 Turkish lira for electric bill. Travel within two state used to cost 10 tl before the pandemic and within a state bus fare is about 4tl and taxi is 20tl. Yes Cyprus is an educational friendly island and I concur and it’s not the government that lured you with a lucrative job waiting for you. Stop been a peddler of fake news all in the name of earring your view. The same island you complain about it’s still the same some few are making it without adding Sheddy deals. The island is safe though not under EU yet cos of the break away they had with the south but it might interest you to know that Uk has an embassy here and they boast of having tourist come in from different part of Europe on yearly basis.
Their citizens also attend their universities as I have some as friends, even foreigners aside from third world nations have few nationals here cos their tuition is cheaper as compared most part in Europe. Accommodation is cheap if compared with European nations. Please get your facts and acts right and don’t be a rumor monger
you are a scam agent not living there sir.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Should Not Travel To Northern Cyprus! by Ladycewhy(f): 4:10pm On Aug 25, 2020
sbaks:
na shame dey catch them grin
which is why I commend the OP for speaking up.
Re: Why You Should Not Travel To Northern Cyprus! by BeLookingIDIOT(m): 4:25pm On Aug 25, 2020
Anyone can just wake up and paste misleading information and it will grace front page.
Re: Why You Should Not Travel To Northern Cyprus! by Slynation(m): 4:26pm On Aug 25, 2020
Slymonster:

Lol most of them after falling into this trap in north Cyprus and can't get their original certificate back they submitted as freshers. Just know say na yahoo be the next thing for them.
Asin ehh... I will start making contacts lemme know if all is well.....
Re: Why You Should Not Travel To Northern Cyprus! by kushme: 4:26pm On Aug 25, 2020
southpole:
you forgot North America (USA and Canada), you may need to rephrase your judgement

cheesy .

Also Northern Europe e.g Sweden, Finland, Norway, Denmark......

And Northeastern states in the USA ...

Some people think say dem dey make sense all the time.. grin

4 Likes

Re: Why You Should Not Travel To Northern Cyprus! by qanda: 4:27pm On Aug 25, 2020
Well done OP for sharing.
Re: Why You Should Not Travel To Northern Cyprus! by Achizzy7: 4:30pm On Aug 25, 2020
Anything "NORTH" no good...

even as a Nigerian.... would u want to stay in northern Nigeria
Re: Why You Should Not Travel To Northern Cyprus! by Achizzy7: 4:30pm On Aug 25, 2020
Anything "NORTH" no good...

even as a Nigerian.... would u want to stay in northern Nigeria
Re: Why You Should Not Travel To Northern Cyprus! by Brawlscartel(m): 4:31pm On Aug 25, 2020
dwilliams:

Just put Anonymous
I got scholarship to study in near East university Cyprus is it save

I wanna know before I move
Re: Why You Should Not Travel To Northern Cyprus! by dwilliams: 4:34pm On Aug 25, 2020
benflow7:

Please dont be unfortunate in life, which of the Cyprus do you stay in, that you will pay 120Tl for electricity consumption with AC or Heater during the summer months and please dont let Ogun descend on you, there is no taxi that will charge you less than 30TL even if your destination is just next door, I talked about Taxi , A Journey from Magusa to Lefkosa cost 250tl, a 30 minute drive and that's almost 20k in Naira,40k to and fro, a journey from Gonyeli where I stayed to Haspolat where my university was located costs 50tl(3000), I spent an average of 6k per day and 30k a week on transportation alone to campus.

Please educate this noble house what are the jobs for students there, it's obvious you are among those agents who lure unsuspecting students to the island.

A Zimbabwe friend told me that they used to have a high number of Zimbabwe student on the island in the past but since those who came to the island have been narrating their ordeals their population has gradually reduced, I wonder why Nigerians cant do the same!

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why You Should Not Travel To Northern Cyprus! by bilulu(m): 4:35pm On Aug 25, 2020
dwilliams:
I have always wanted to warn Nigerian students seeking prospects in Europe or abroad generally to remove the option of TRNC from their list but l lacked the motivation, that time to sit down and pen a lengthy post discouraged me, but in lieu of the recent headlines on the news, I will say my bit and warn anyone who probably has been nursing that idea to desist from going there!

I felt the agents who processed my admission for me were not fair to me as they ought to have warned me enough but anyway, it's a dog eat dog world. They were only interested in loning their pockets.

Though, the news going round on social media that hundreds of Nigerian students have been killed there is grossly over exaggerated, there have been some killings but Northern Cyprus still remains safer than most part of Nigeria to be candid!

The TRNC is a country which is not recognized by any country in the world aside from Turkey, they have no natural resources or industries to generate revenue from, so they built some universities all over the country and they branded the Island as A STUDENT FRIENDLY ISLAND, may God punish them for that deceit!

The only source of revenue for the Northern Cyprus government is Education, their own citizens dont attend their universities, they mostly school in the UK,Turkey or the southern part of the island which is under the EU zone, to further enhance the scheme of luring unsuspecting students to the island, the TRNC is one of the easiest countries you can travel to as a prospective student, I bet it is not one of the easiest but the easiest!

A prospective student can apply and get admission in 3 days and you dont need a Visa to go there ,you only need your admission letter and your original school documents to go there, a process called OK to BOARD so most Nigerians who have been denied admission or have been denied Visa in other countries have no choice than to jump at that offer, A prospective student who applied Today can be in TRNC in less than 2 weeks to show how fast it is!

All this is to encourage students to come to the island and help their economy, the TRNC is a very expensive country to survive in,it costs about 300 pounds on the average to get a decent 2 bedroom flat and the hostel fees on the average cost about 3000 euros per semester aside from school fees, let me break it down further, 3k euros in Naira is equivalent to 1.5m per semester and we have 2 major semester in an academic year which means an average of 3m on accommodation alone, The tuition fees here starts from 2500 Euros per semester on the average! Which is roughly 2.7m in Naira.

Now that's not the worse part, the worse part is the day to day living on the island, it costs about 40 turkish lira to take a taxi to any location and that's about 2,400 naira and 4800 in total,for a to and fro journey though there are school buses which the government claims to be free but they are not entirely free as the cost of transportation has been deducted from your school fees.

The TRNC government lures student to the island to boost sectors such as housing as accommodation is very expensive, even the locals here dont pay what foreigners pay for housing they pay lesser, students come in to boost the tourism sector, the hospitals and pharmacies benefits from it, the transportation sector benefits from it and ofcourse it creates that multiplier effect that propels their economy.

Any household item or commodity whatsoever that you desire to purchase here is over 7 times the rate in naira, let me give examples, it costs over 2500 naira to buy a pain killer like panadol which cost around 200 naira, it costs about 15k to buy a charger for your phone, electricity bills can be as high as 60000 naira in a month during the summer and winter months when the air condition and heater has to be used, yes I said 60000 naira, Gas and water bill is something else entirely, the price of everything there is Jaw dropping as the prices are inflated to leach every penny from foreigners, they believe that every student especially Nigerians are rich!

When you register as a new student here,their universities will seize your original certificates to trap you so you wont leave and if you decide to leave the school you will be asked to pay termination fees in addition to whatever debt you probably owe the school!

Is it not crazy that a friend had to drop out on financial reasons and he was asked to pay over 2800 euros with the fees he owed the school before he will get his original certificates which he submitted while registering as a fresher!

Some of the institutions here fail students deliberately so that they can keep paying this school fees and trap them in the system to keep boosting their economy.

To crown it all, their are no jobs there coupled with the harsh and expensive living conditions many students have no options than to engage in petty vices.

95 percent of the universities there, the degrees are not Recognized by several international bodies, what the agents mostly do in Nigeria is to tell Nigerians that they are going to Cyprus and they will think they are going to the Southern part of the island which is an EU zone but on getting to Cyprus they are taken to the North. In fact the temporary residence permit wont take you to any country and since the country is not recognized most countries dont have embassies there which means to relocate you probably have to get a Tourist visa from here to Turkey which is not so difficult to apply to any country of your choice.

No b all abroad b abroad, and na small the north Cyprus take fine pass Nigeria sef, the roads are not so good and the houses are not so rushed.

According to the last NANS report there are approximately 30000 Nigerian students on this island and we have Zimbabweans, Congolese and other countries from other developing nations both in the middle east and Asia here.

My advice to all prospective students, if you are nurturing the idea of coming here to work while schooling please jettison those ideas. In fact dead it!

North Cyprus is not worth it ,one bit! I have spoken and its finally out of my conscience, who get ear make e hear!

And as for the grammar police wey go wan check my post for spelling errors and punctuations, this post is to share my experience there and warn prospective students against going to that expensive island.
The cost you mentioned should be considered before jetting out. that is the mistake people make. The cost will always be like that especially when you are paying with Naira but if you earn in their currency it will be better. Paying €300 for 2 bedroom is pretty cheap. A bedroom in Canada cost about $750 and above. Pain killer can cost upto $8. Doughnuts can cost $4. So this will always be high if you re paying from Nigeria. Nigerians don't do their background checks before traveling, they just want to travel abroad, there are some countries you don't go to. Not all abroad are abroad.

10 Likes

Re: Why You Should Not Travel To Northern Cyprus! by philiancoop(m): 4:37pm On Aug 25, 2020
So the compliment is the expense right? No be who get money dey go abroad? nothing so jor... if you no get money hide your face
Re: Why You Should Not Travel To Northern Cyprus! by Ca4real: 4:39pm On Aug 25, 2020
dwilliams:
I have always wanted to warn Nigerian students seeking prospects in Europe or abroad generally to remove the option of TRNC from their list but l lacked the motivation, that time to sit down and pen a lengthy post discouraged me, but in lieu of the recent headlines on the news, I will say my bit and warn anyone who probably has been nursing that idea to desist from going there!

I felt the agents who processed my admission for me were not fair to me as they ought to have warned me enough but anyway, it's a dog eat dog world. They were only interested in loning their pockets.

Though, the news going round on social media that hundreds of Nigerian students have been killed there is grossly over exaggerated, there have been some killings but Northern Cyprus still remains safer than most part of Nigeria to be candid!

The TRNC is a country which is not recognized by any country in the world aside from Turkey, they have no natural resources or industries to generate revenue from, so they built some universities all over the country and they branded the Island as A STUDENT FRIENDLY ISLAND, may God punish them for that deceit!

The only source of revenue for the Northern Cyprus government is Education, their own citizens dont attend their universities, they mostly school in the UK,Turkey or the southern part of the island which is under the EU zone, to further enhance the scheme of luring unsuspecting students to the island, the TRNC is one of the easiest countries you can travel to as a prospective student, I bet it is not one of the easiest but the easiest!

A prospective student can apply and get admission in 3 days and you dont need a Visa to go there ,you only need your admission letter and your original school documents to go there, a process called OK to BOARD so most Nigerians who have been denied admission or have been denied Visa in other countries have no choice than to jump at that offer, A prospective student who applied Today can be in TRNC in less than 2 weeks to show how fast it is!

All this is to encourage students to come to the island and help their economy, the TRNC is a very expensive country to survive in,it costs about 300 pounds on the average to get a decent 2 bedroom flat and the hostel fees on the average cost about 3000 euros per semester aside from school fees, let me break it down further, 3k euros in Naira is equivalent to 1.5m per semester and we have 2 major semester in an academic year which means an average of 3m on accommodation alone, The tuition fees here starts from 2500 Euros per semester on the average! Which is roughly 2.7m in Naira.

Now that's not the worse part, the worse part is the day to day living on the island, it costs about 40 turkish lira to take a taxi to any location and that's about 2,400 naira and 4800 in total,for a to and fro journey though there are school buses which the government claims to be free but they are not entirely free as the cost of transportation has been deducted from your school fees.

The TRNC government lures student to the island to boost sectors such as housing as accommodation is very expensive, even the locals here dont pay what foreigners pay for housing they pay lesser, students come in to boost the tourism sector, the hospitals and pharmacies benefits from it, the transportation sector benefits from it and ofcourse it creates that multiplier effect that propels their economy.

Any household item or commodity whatsoever that you desire to purchase here is over 7 times the rate in naira, let me give examples, it costs over 2500 naira to buy a pain killer like panadol which cost around 200 naira, it costs about 15k to buy a charger for your phone, electricity bills can be as high as 60000 naira in a month during the summer and winter months when the air condition and heater has to be used, yes I said 60000 naira, Gas and water bill is something else entirely, the price of everything there is Jaw dropping as the prices are inflated to leach every penny from foreigners, they believe that every student especially Nigerians are rich!

When you register as a new student here,their universities will seize your original certificates to trap you so you wont leave and if you decide to leave the school you will be asked to pay termination fees in addition to whatever debt you probably owe the school!

Is it not crazy that a friend had to drop out on financial reasons and he was asked to pay over 2800 euros with the fees he owed the school before he will get his original certificates which he submitted while registering as a fresher!

Some of the institutions here fail students deliberately so that they can keep paying this school fees and trap them in the system to keep boosting their economy.

To crown it all, their are no jobs there coupled with the harsh and expensive living conditions many students have no options than to engage in petty vices.

95 percent of the universities there, the degrees are not Recognized by several international bodies, what the agents mostly do in Nigeria is to tell Nigerians that they are going to Cyprus and they will think they are going to the Southern part of the island which is an EU zone but on getting to Cyprus they are taken to the North. In fact the temporary residence permit wont take you to any country and since the country is not recognized most countries dont have embassies there which means to relocate you probably have to get a Tourist visa from here to Turkey which is not so difficult to apply to any country of your choice.

No b all abroad b abroad, and na small the north Cyprus take fine pass Nigeria sef, the roads are not so good and the houses are not so rushed.

According to the last NANS report there are approximately 30000 Nigerian students on this island and we have Zimbabweans, Congolese and other countries from other developing nations both in the middle east and Asia here.

My advice to all prospective students, if you are nurturing the idea of coming here to work while schooling please jettison those ideas. In fact dead it!

North Cyprus is not worth it ,one bit! I have spoken and its finally out of my conscience, who get ear make e hear!

And as for the grammar police wey go wan check my post for spelling errors and punctuations, this post is to share my experience there and warn prospective students against going to that expensive island.

You have done well . God bless you

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Not Travel To Northern Cyprus! by dwilliams: 4:46pm On Aug 25, 2020
Brawlscartel:

I got scholarship to study in near East university Cyprus is it save

I wanna know before I move

If your parents are very rich and they can afford to part with nothing less than a 100k a month aside from Tuition fees and accommodation, then you are good to go but I would advise you to go elsewhere, TRNC is not worth it, I get angry each time I see this devilish agents luring students here, the funny thing is that the island has been seriously hit by Corona issue and they depend on foreigners I.e Tourists and students for survival, so they are campaigning and advertising seriously to lure students down.

They recently launched an incentive where each new students would be given 500tl about 30k but it's a trap to lure students here, 30k in naira wont buy you food worth 5k.

And dont be deceived by that scholarship, that's also part of the traps, you would think you wont when you get here, you will still pay 75 percent of the normal tuition fees which is also a win win for them!

The funny thing is that this mushroom universities are on the same level with our private universities in Nigeria I bet it did not take up to 3 working days before you got your admission letter.

I have given you a honest opinion about how things are over there, the ball is in your court!

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Should Not Travel To Northern Cyprus! by DaddyGngeess(m): 4:48pm On Aug 25, 2020
Nigerians traveling to that island are only going there to chill and do there thing without disturbance or harassment from Nigeria police or efcc, no be school them dey go for, just like when I traveled to Russia 2007, Russia was a very bad country for foreigners then I don't know of now shall, alot of Nigerians where selling drugs, doing 419, oil scam, me I no fit go jail, I jejely buy car for taxi, old Russia Lada b4 you knew it I became a taxi driver in the city of Moscow, everyday I was saving $100, I make alot money, come back to Nigeria and invest, what will you say about Vietnam or Cambodia, yet Nigerians are making hell of money in those countries. My guy if there is anything to do that will give you money join them do am make you no they form lazy and they complain abeg. I no say make you commit crime oo
Peace.

13 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Samuel Oladipo Suspended By UNILAG For “Sex For Admission” Scandal / Answers To Exam Questions From A SS1 Student. PHOTOS (must See) / Man Storms Ogun School With Thugs To Attack Teacher Who Beat His Daughter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.