Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,124 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:29 AM

About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes - Culture (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes (57278 Views)

Young Virgins Initiated Into Womanhood In Ogu Town, (OKRIKA) Rivers State / Common Surnames Among Igbos And Their Northern Neigbours / 19 Young Virgins Initiated Into Womanhood In Okrika, Rivers State. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by KHbaby(f): 2:09pm On Sep 05, 2020
Your last paragraph is a lie. Do your findings before spiting rubbish on SM.
[
quote author=codemaniacs post=93592390]

colonial mentality and self hate is what caused it.

just like MelesZenawi has said, they threw away their native names.

it has nothing to do with trade, as the br:itish were more interested in wiping off and subjugating the indigenous populations rather than helping them.

for lagos names, the british brought black brazilians and other people of African descent from the American continent to replace the indigenous lagos population. it could be the same with the ijaw, igbos and some people from south south.

even Samuel Ajayi Crowther was not Yoruba, the british just added ajayi to deceive the yorubas in lagos.[/quote]
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by AreaFada2: 2:10pm On Sep 05, 2020
Iamgrey5:
@ emboldened You protected them by killing the Deji of Akure because he wanted freedom from Bini kingdom?

By the way, no one in Ondo or Ekiti today feels affiliated to Edo more than Ife or Oyo empire.

Don't deceive yourself.

After over 100 years of British oppression and punishment of Benin (for uncommon resistance) and WAZOBIA smokescreen? Not surprised.

But in 1914, it was different. Benin still chose in the past from Edo diaspra in Ado-Akure to become traditional prime minister, called Iyase. a position that is non-hereditary but very powerful. Being second in command to the Oba. Real people of Eastern Yorubaland know their historical links. Not those with grandparents from there but born and bred in Lagos-Ibadan axis.

Today Benin look more inward and if looking out at all, towards Niger Delta. Since 1963 creation of Midwest in fact. A move spearheaded by Oba Akenzua II of Benin. Edo & Delta distanced themselves from the West, not the other way round.

2 Likes

Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by Iamgrey5(m): 2:11pm On Sep 05, 2020
Etinosa1234:

Stop being in pain... If the British had come in contact with any set of people called "elegushi" don't u think it would have been documented or they just hate u guysgrin grin grin

Why can't u show me the history of the elegushi pre 1900 ? Why are u referring me to recent history written by the oba himself and u think it won't be void of bias? grin grin

History has already documented Benin ruling over Lagos but a pained nairaland in the year 2020 doesn't want to believe n
This one doesn't even know how to argue

Na confirm Olodo grin

So Elegushi, Oniru and Onikoyi never existed because you can't find a British record for them..

You think a Kingdom would just start frpm nowhere and control almost the entire length of Lekki and Ajah in Lagos? cheesy

1 Like

Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by lexy2014: 2:13pm On Sep 05, 2020
AwkaFinest:

Stop writing what you know nothing about. Western names are very common with the riverine peopls of Rivers and Bayelsa.

1. D topic says Rivers State not bayelsa.
2. D initial claim to d gentleman was that it is only ijaw people that bear western surnames.
3. Upon me disputing his claim& saying that it is peculiar to d kalabaris, u have now changed ur story to "riverine people's of Rivers & bayelsa".
4. If I mentioned kalabari & u said:
"Stop writing what you know nothing about" and then:
"Western names are very common with the riverine people's of Rivers and Bayelsa."
pls where does kalabari fall into?
5. From d above, isn't it obvious that u are d one who doesn't no what he is saying?
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by Iamgrey5(m): 2:13pm On Sep 05, 2020
Etinosa1234:

Obviously u've already lost the argument... Kindly refer me to when I claimed that Lagos was a no man's land...

Its not my fault that history is not ur calling
If you agree that Lagos belongs to Yorubas, So why are you arguing?

1 Like

Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by jimmynauty: 2:14pm On Sep 05, 2020
I believe the op is writng some history on names
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by solreb: 2:16pm On Sep 05, 2020
MrOjay1:

i have always thought it was the yorubas(the ones living in Lagos) that first came in contact with the Europeans.

And the Europeans also lived long in YorubaLand(Lagos) before permeating other regions.

They stayed long enough in Lagos to establish the first mission school(Badagry and CMS)...so why weren't their surnames influenced?

Some were but are not some many ike William's, Savage Vincent, ,Macaulay etc
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by Iamgrey5(m): 2:17pm On Sep 05, 2020
AreaFada2:

After over 100 years of British oppression and punishment of Benin (for uncommon resistance) and WAZOBIA smokescreen? Not surprised.

But in 1914, it was different. Benin still chose in the past from Edo diaspra in Ado-Akure to become traditional prime minister, called Iyase. a position that is non-hereditary but very powerful. Being second in command to the Oba. Real people of Eastern Yorubaland know their historical links. Not those with grandparents from there but born and bred in Lagos-Ibadan axis.

Today Benin look more inward and if looking out at all, towards Niger Delta. Since 1963 creation of Midwest in fact. A move spearheaded by Oba Akenzua II of Benin. Edo & Delta distanced themselves from the West, not the other way round.
Sir there is nothing like Benin /Edo Diaspora, the earlier you realize the better.

@ emboldened is actually very mutual as most Yorubas don't want to have anything to do with Edo people in particular.. We prefer people from Delta state.

1 Like

Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by Kennyswag: 2:18pm On Sep 05, 2020
UniportAgbero:

As an Okrika man, I tayad sad
help me ask people wey sabi us pass us grin
they want to attach theirself to SS by force.. pathetic people

1 Like

Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by Etinosa1234: 2:18pm On Sep 05, 2020
Iamgrey5:
This one doesn't even know how to argue

Na confirm Olodo grin

So Elegushi, Oniru and Onikoyi never existed because you can't find a British record for them..

You think a Kingdom would just start frpm nowhere and control almost the entire length of Lekki and Ajah in Lagos? cheesy

U claimed that the oba of elegushi is different and powerful than the Oba of Lagos and has more lands than the oba of Lagos right...

Well in the same link u posted , I found this grin

And it refered to my article which talked abt the idejo chiefs... So remind me, who is oba elegushi again?

6 Likes

Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by AwkaFinest: 2:19pm On Sep 05, 2020
lexy2014:

1. D topic says Rivers State not bayelsa.
2. Your initial claim was that it is only ijaw people that bear western surnames.
3. Upon me disputing ur claim& saying that it is peculiar to d kalabaris, u have now changed ur story to "riverine people's of Rivers & bayelsa".
4. If I mentioned kalabari & u said:
"Stop writing what you know nothing about" and then:
"Western names are very common with the riverine people's of Rivers and Bayelsa."
pls where does kalabari fall into?
5. From d above, isn't it obvious that u are d one who doesn't no what he is saying?

I've never said nowhere that it's only Ijaw. Mind you it's not peculiar to kalahari alone. In Rivers its all the Riverine people eg Opobo, Andoni, Bonny, Okrika, Kalahari, Abua and Engeni. These are the places you'll find families/compounds with european names. I'm not saying you cant find it in other areas as well, but its dominant in these areas.

This is same story with Bayelsa. Places like Brass, Nembe, Ogbia and so on.
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by InvertedHammer: 2:20pm On Sep 05, 2020
MrOjay1:
I've noticed the for a long time now that many Rivers state indigenes bear westernized surnames like Blankson, Douglas, Perricosta, Souza, Graham, Peterson, McColumbus, etc.

I have seen indigenes of Rivers who bear the above listed surnames alongside other ones too numerous to mention.Was there any kind of foreign culture influx in Rivers State that influenced these surnames?? Or have they just been bearing these kind of surnames right from inception?

I need opinions on this.
/
That was the first phase.

The second phase is currently happening in Igboland. Many are taking their father's firstname as the surname. Eg. Jenifer Okafor the daughter of Chief Michael Okafor prefers to be identified as Jenifer Michael.

/
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by Etinosa1234: 2:21pm On Sep 05, 2020
Iamgrey5:
If you agree that Lagos belongs to Yorubas, So why are you arguing?

I say that Lagos was once a vassal of Benin kingdom
Not owners of Lagos

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by lexy2014: 2:23pm On Sep 05, 2020
AwkaFinest:

I've never said nowhere that it's only Ijaw. Mind you it's not peculiar to kalahari alone. In Rivers its all the Riverine people eg Opobo, Andoni, Bonny, Okrika, Kalahari, Abua and Engeni. These are the places you'll find families/compounds with european names. I'm not saying you cant find it in other areas as well, but its dominant in these areas.

If u never said "it's only ijaw, then pls go back to d intial post to which I responded to. Obviously, u had itchy fingers and were too eager to jump into a discussion without reading were it was coming from.
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by michresakidjo(m): 2:23pm On Sep 05, 2020
Bob Marley Emancipate yourself from Mental Slavery non but ourselves can free our mind.
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by Iamgrey5(m): 2:23pm On Sep 05, 2020
Etinosa1234:

U claimed that the oba of elegushi is different and powerful than the Oba of Lagos and has more lands than the oba of Lagos right...

Well in the same link u posted , I found this grin

And it refered to my article which talked abt the idejo chiefs... So remind me, who is oba elegushi again?
It seems you have problems with comprehension?

I said Oba of Lagos has no land in Lagos and affiliation of Elegushi is to Ife not Bini.

And yes, Elegushi was a white cap chief before 1900 which meant a land owner, while the Bini red cap chiefs had no Land like Obanikoro and co.

So you had to go back to my link to understand grin
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by IgANephropathy(m): 2:25pm On Sep 05, 2020
Etinosa1234:

Oba of Benin ruled Lagos indirectly, through their Oba

As at now, the Oba doesn't rule any place that is outside of edo state... He is now ceremonial, but there are historical reports that talks abt Benin ruling Lagos indirectly
Ist pic;This is a letter written by Oba Akitoye to the British
2nd pic: An excerpt from the Robert Smith book on the people of Lagos that talks abt when the oba of Lagos stopped paying tributes due to the British intervention

Apparently, there would be back and forth on this matter. However, like I said, I believe the Benin Empire had a great influence on the creation of Lagos via King Ashipa; as Lagos was seen as a potential war camp. Tributes were definitely paid to the Oba of Benin since Lagos was seen as a protectorate rather than a colony. And that is often obtained in empire of olds. Most nations prefer peaceful negotiations than go to war against a very powerful empire. Through this point though, Lagos was independently a Yoruba nation.

I used an example of Britain (Anglo Saxons) being a protectorate of the Roman Empire during Emperor Claudius time. The British preferred not to wage war against the stronger Roman. But even the staunchest pro-Roman supporter would tell you Britain was a Roman colony.
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by Iamgrey5(m): 2:25pm On Sep 05, 2020
Etinosa1234:

I say that Lagos was once a vassal of Benin kingdom
Not owners of Lagos
And I said the part was a tiny portion of today's Lagos

The likes of

Ibeju

Epe

Ikorodu

Isheri

Badagry

All have different histories
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by michresakidjo(m): 2:28pm On Sep 05, 2020
codemaniacs:

colonial mentality and self hate is what caused it.

just like MelesZenawi has said, they threw away their native names.

it has nothing to do with trade, as the br:itish were more interested in wiping off and subjugating the indigenous populations rather than helping them.

for lagos names, the british brought black brazilians and other people of African descent from the American continent to replace the indigenous lagos population. it could be the same with the ijaw, igbos and some people from south south.

even Samuel Ajayi Crowther was not Yoruba, the british just added ajayi to deceive the yorubas in lagos.

Hey nigarr this comment might get you evicted
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by Etinosa1234: 2:33pm On Sep 05, 2020
Iamgrey5:
It seems you have problems with comprehension?

I said Oba of Lagos has no land in Lagos and affiliation of Elegushi is to Ife not Bini.

And yes, Elegushi was a a white cap chief before 1900 which meant a land owner, while the Bini red cap chiefs had no Land like Obanikoro and co.

So you had to go back to my link to understand grin

Lol.. First of all.. u need to take ur advice...

yes, the Oba of Lagos had no land in Lagos but he was the ruler.. The fact that Buhari is the president of our country, does it make him the land owner of all the lands in Nigeria ...
Clearly u need to know the difference between feudalism and monarchy...

Since elegushi was a white Cap chief and an idejo.. wasn't it known that he was subject to the Oba of Lagos?

And u claimed using the article that u didn't post completely , that the people of elegushi left iddo to ikate in 1600, so tell me who ruled them if not the oba of Lagos...
Infact the oba of elegushi is just a recent establishment created in 1990.
U just love shooting urself in the foot

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by AreaFada2: 2:34pm On Sep 05, 2020
Iamgrey5:
Sir there is nothing like Benin /Edo Diaspora, the earlier you realize the better.

@ emboldened is actually very mutual as most Yorubas don't want to have anything to do with Edo people in particular.. We prefer people from Delta state.

Eyeing oil and dreaming of alliance with Itsekhiri like Igbo eye Anioma. grin cheesy

We all know the trick. Kikikikiki. cheesy grin grin grin cheesy cheesy

Dream on.

The same Itsekhiri matter that Awo used to cause Wahala in Warri Province. It had to be changed to Delta province to pacify non-Itsekhiris. But later it all made Urhobo, Isoko, Anioma and others to readily follow Behind Benin to leave Western Region. They were all able to see the shenanigans from Awo/Yoruba side. grin cheesy

People like me look at history to see what is coming ahead. grin cheesy

Yoruba better fight for Oodua Republic. Not form Amotekun to prevent Fulani slaughering people in SW.

SW can survive on Ugboland oil and import some. Not follow Jihadists nyansh up and down. grin cheesy

2 Likes

Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by lexy2014: 2:37pm On Sep 05, 2020
AwkaFinest:

Also, take note of my number 1 point:

"1. D topic says Rivers State not bayelsa."
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by SILVERLINES: 2:37pm On Sep 05, 2020
MrOjay1:
I've noticed the for a long time now that many Rivers state indigenes bear westernized surnames like Blankson, Douglas, Perricosta, Souza, Graham, Peterson, McColumbus, etc.

I have seen indigenes of Rivers who bear the above listed surnames alongside other ones too numerous to mention.Was there any kind of foreign culture influx in Rivers State that influenced these surnames?? Or have they just been bearing these kind of surnames right from inception?

I need opinions on this.
Rivers State was a major slave trade zone. Majority of Rivers have different ancestral background, the names you mentioned was given to them by slave masters.
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by Etinosa1234: 2:41pm On Sep 05, 2020
IgANephropathy:
Apparently, there would be back and forth on this matter. However, like I said, I believe the Benin Empire had a great influence on the creation of Lagos via King Ashipa; as Lagos was seen as a potential war camp. Tributes were definitely paid to the Oba of Benin since Lagos was seen as a protectorate rather than a colony. And that is often obtained in empire of olds. Most nations prefer peaceful negotiations than go to war against a very powerful empire. Through this point though, Lagos was independently a Yoruba nation.

I used an example of Britain (Anglo Saxons) being a protectorate of the Roman Empire during Emperor Claudius time. The British preferred not to wage war against the stronger Roman. But even the staunchest pro-Roman supporter would tell you Britain was a Roman colony.

Well nice of you to say so...

Britain became a protectorate of Roman Empire due to the fact that it was written that they were unable to wage war with a stronger Power... So much less they'll be regarded as colonies tho... In Nigeria, we had the Southern and Northern protectorate.
Using ur story,what would we say that the Southern kingdoms which we clearly know abt fell to British but were still tagged as protectorate? Would we say that the British conquest of Nigeria is false because South and North were called protectorates

It is written (except if u have a controversial eyewitness reports on it) that Benin conquered Lagos after several attempts till when the Olofin died

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by Ofunwa111: 2:43pm On Sep 05, 2020
Why can't you all be like Redbonesmith ? Give reasons why you think they bear such names and bounce. Thread has turned to Yoruba Vs Benin. lol.
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by Iamgrey5(m): 2:44pm On Sep 05, 2020
Etinosa1234:

Lol.. First of all.. u need to take ur advice...

yes, the Oba of Lagos had no land in Lagos but he was the ruler.. The fact that Buhari is the president of our country, does it make him the land owner of all the lands in Nigeria ...
Clearly u need to know the difference between feudalism and monarchy...

Since elegushi was a white Cap chief and an idejo.. wasn't it known that he was subject to the Oba of Lagos?

And u claimed using the article that u didn't post completely , that the people of elegushi left iddo to ikate in 1600, so tell me who ruled them if not the oba of Lagos...
Infact the oba of elegushi is just a recent establishment created in 1990.
U just love shooting urself in the foot
@ emboldened

using a democratic government to explain an imperial kingdom is shameful

Was the Oba of Lagos elected like Buhari or was Bini kingdom practicing democracy?

If Bini controlled Lagos as you implied, you will definitely have lands in Lagos today as it was a quest for land grabbing.

it’s almost like I have been arguing with a board since morning ??

When did Bini arrive in Lagos to have arrived before Elegushi in ikate?

And how is Elegushi a subject of Oba of Bini when

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by BornRicch(m): 2:47pm On Sep 05, 2020
iObEy:

You don't know history. It's not about what is established. Ijaw people traded with them long before any other tribe in Nigeria knew about them.

What year did the ijaw traded with the Europeans and what were they trading? Listen, the first Europeans to arrived Nigeria are the Portuguese and the kingdom they went to was the Benin Kingdom though they met other coastal tribes. Ijaw history is not known anywhere in Nigeria �� I have never watch an ijaw history on TV. You guys should be grateful of oil in your swampy wooden houses areas.
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by Iamgrey5(m): 2:49pm On Sep 05, 2020
AreaFada2:

Eyeing oil and dreaming of alliance with Itsekhiri like Igbo eye Anioma. grin cheesy

Dream on.

The same Itsekhiri matter that Awo used to cause Wahala in Warri Province. It had to be changed to Delta province to pacify non-Itsekhiris. But later it all made Urhobo, Isoko, Anioma and others to readily follow Behind Benin to leave Western Region. They were all able to see the shenanigans from Awo/Yoruba side. grin cheesy

Yoruba better fight for Oodua Republic. Not form Amotekun to prevent Fulani slaughering people in SW.

SW can survive on Ugboland oil and import some. Not follow Jihadists nyansh up and down. grin cheesy

I know tiny Bini kingdom are not only eyeing Ishekiri for crude oil but are also eyeing it for seaport and general economic survival cheesy

However, time will tell, Uhrobo go disown you because you will be a great liability on them. I am sure Uhrobos would prefer Biafra together with Anioma.

Ishekiri themselves claim that they are originally Yorubas, search for the interview of pastor Ayo and be inspired.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by mmsen: 2:52pm On Sep 05, 2020
MrOjay1:

i have always thought it was the yorubas(the ones living in Lagos) that first came in contact with the Europeans.

And the Europeans also lived long in YorubaLand(Lagos) before permeating other regions.

They stayed long enough in Lagos to establish the first mission school(Badagry and CMS)...so why weren't their surnames influenced?

There are Yorubas who carry European names.
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by Ezmans: 2:53pm On Sep 05, 2020
MrOjay1:

OK.Why didn't this happen amongst other tribes too?Because i know the Europeans also had a hard time pronuncing their names
majority that bears those European names are those that live near waters, even Lagos indigens has those names, eg lawanson, coker, Cole, Anthony, martins.
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by Customtest: 2:55pm On Sep 05, 2020
oneeast3:
Read my post again before posting OP. Be specific. I said, which school in Rivers state is older than DMGS and CKC.

St. Paul primary school in Opobo Kingdom is older than any school in anambra
And St Stephens bonny is the first Anglican church in Nigeria

Opobo people are elites!
There children were sent to europe to study in secondary schools
During the time of trade,the European were not interested in any thing else other than trade.
Colonisation started later.
It was economic hardship that made the british start expeditions

Jobs in Europe were growing geometrically while population was growing exponentially

They just had to do something else there would be war,famine or terrible sickness will breakout
So the expedition for UK was to bring food and stabilize UK economy

Expedition by france was to have a branch of France everywhere,that is why they had colonies and never let go,expedition for Spain and portugal was to have large farms as business owner and land owner
Slavery in west Africa started when the Spanish/portugal got so much land in the Americas to work and needed manpower
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by ZZ22: 2:56pm On Sep 05, 2020
AreaFada2:

Dream on.

you were making sense in your previous posts till you come up with this "Igbos eye Anioma" nonsense. Are you implying that the Igbo cut out to other states outside the SE are no longer Igbos because of the artificial creation that's barely 50 years?

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (22) (Reply)

Mixed Reactions As An 'Outcast' Is Made King In Imo Community. Photos / Your Favourite(s) Igbo Praise Names For God / 90-year-old Emir Of Daura, Faruk Umar Marries 20-year-old Bride (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.