Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,304 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:34 AM

About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes - Culture (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes (57055 Views)

Young Virgins Initiated Into Womanhood In Ogu Town, (OKRIKA) Rivers State / Common Surnames Among Igbos And Their Northern Neigbours / 19 Young Virgins Initiated Into Womanhood In Okrika, Rivers State. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by TheArrowhead(m): 4:22pm On Sep 05, 2020
There was a lot of 'interchange' between the indigenes and European traders in the pre-colonial times and also afterwards.
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by Customtest: 4:25pm On Sep 05, 2020
oneeast3:

Please post source and not making empty noise
Do I need to argue with u?
Simply google
"First Anglican church in Nigeria"
See if St Stephens Bonny won't pop up

Chest beating jgnoramus
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by oneeast3: 4:28pm On Sep 05, 2020
Dumb response. Prove your lies with credible source.

Customtest:

Do I need to argue with u?
Simply google
"First Anglican church in Nigeria"
See if St Stephens Bonny won't pop up

Chest beating jgnoramus
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by dasparrow: 4:38pm On Sep 05, 2020
ultimatebas:
The Ijaws bear names like Whyte, Jack, George, Lawson, Graham-Douglas, Duke, Hampson, Benson, Briggs, Black-Duke ,Jumbo ,Harry ,Georgewill ,Bestman, Sinclair ,Horsfall ,Goodhead ,Brown ,Green ,Jackmay ,Bob-manuel, Finecountry, Peterside, Fyneface, Hart ,Princewill ,Yellowe ,West ,Pepple, Spiff ,Cole ,Clarke ,Braide ,Jackreece ,Memberr ,Jonathan ,Sydney ,Bell-gam,Mac-pepple

Very ugly names, lol. How many Europeans bear African names?
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by Youngpo413: 4:39pm On Sep 05, 2020
Dalil8:
It's common with the ijaws too

Names like Perez, Forcados etc
Don't for Pepple,Thatcher,Rice,lice,mice and flakes.
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by dasparrow: 4:43pm On Sep 05, 2020
lielbree:
We bear such names because our forefathers traded with the Portuguese and British for centuries.

I didn't know you have to discard your cultural identity by changing your native name just to trade with someone. Since your people now trade with fellow Nigerians, why haven't your people adopted the tribal or ethnic names of those Nigerians they trade with today? Oh I know. Nigerians don't have white skin like the Europeans whom your people worship.

1 Like

Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by KingWarri: 4:46pm On Sep 05, 2020
MrOjay1:

i have always thought it was the yorubas(the ones living in Lagos) that first came in contact with the Europeans.

And the Europeans also lived long in YorubaLand(Lagos) before permeating other regions.

They stayed long enough in Lagos to establish the first mission school(Badagry and CMS)...so why weren't their surnames influenced?
Bro, do your history correctly. Warri was the first city and the Portuguese where the first europeans thats how pigin happens
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by KingWarri: 4:47pm On Sep 05, 2020
RedboneSmith:

Uh... No.
It was the Ijaw.
Nope it was the Itsekiris and urhobos
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by KingWarri: 4:50pm On Sep 05, 2020
oneeast3:
Europeans came to Onitsha and settled down long before settling in the Niger Delta. .
WRONG!!
Warri was the first city and the Portuguese where the first Europeans in 1485
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by KingWarri: 4:53pm On Sep 05, 2020
codemaniacs:

colonial mentality and self hate is what caused it.

just like MelesZenawi has said, they threw away their native names.

it has nothing to do with trade, as the br:itish were more interested in wiping off and subjugating the indigenous populations rather than helping them.

for lagos names, the british brought black brazilians and other people of African descent from the American continent to replace the indigenous lagos population. it could be the same with the ijaw, igbos and some people from south south.

even Samuel Ajayi Crowther was not Yoruba, the british just added ajayi to deceive the yorubas in lagos.
hmmmm...... deep
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by dasparrow: 4:54pm On Sep 05, 2020
lielbree:

Lol. We took on English names because back then you were posh if u could speak English grin

My ancestors traded for centuries with the Portuguese and British

That is not something to be proud of. Wipe that smile off your face. With all the trading your people did with the white man, how has it benefitted your people in the long run? Are you now allowed to travel to portugal and britain without needing a visa? Do the portuguese and english people treat your people with any atom of respect now that your people have discarded their unique native names for european names?

Look at Dr (Mrs) Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala. She did not have to throw away her native names to be respected worldwide. Same can be said for Chimamanda Adichie. Your people have a conquered mind and are spinless that is why they had to change their identity just to trade rubbish with some oyibos.

2 Likes

Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by dlaw70(m): 4:55pm On Sep 05, 2020
etibaba:
Rivers and Bayelsa state have really funny names and surnames sha. Heineken, lyon, Manager, Suffernomore, Inspector, Advantage, not forgetting the chairman of a political party "Secondus".
Government
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by dasparrow: 4:59pm On Sep 05, 2020
Esji80:
Someone should educate me pls.The trade you people are mentioning.trade in which commidity? Fish or what?

Good question! I really wonder what they were trading that they felt the need to discard their unique ethnic names for european names that have no meaning. Maybe, they sold their souls to the white man just so they can trade with him. Today, the white american man trades with the chinese man. I don't see chinese people in a hurry to change their chinese names to european names. That says a lot about the mindset of the African man.
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by KingWarri: 5:00pm On Sep 05, 2020
dasparrow:

That is not something to be proud of. Wipe that smile off your face. With all the trading your people did with the white man, how has it benefitted your people in the long run? Are you now allowed to travel to portugal and britain without needing a visa? Do the portuguese and english people treat your people with any atom of respect now that your people have discarded their unique native names for european names?

Look at Dr (Mrs) Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala. She did not have to throw away her native names to be respected worldwide. Same can be said for Chimamanda Adichie. Your people have a conquered mind and are spinless that is why they had to change their identity just to trade rubbish with some oyibos.
hmmm.. mental Slavery it is. After so many years of the colonial era a lot of people still prefer foreign names to local ones. Doing white wedding that is not even their culture and was not also mentioned in the Bible...

You will hardly see a China man bearing European names.
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by Thunderblasts(m): 5:01pm On Sep 05, 2020
Jahwinaboy:
. You that is not lost, who u epp? Tell me any Southerner without an English middle name. Don't call a whole people lost just cause of Choice of names. Those that answer John, Mikel, Joshua, Gideon, Mathew,etc, na u original name? Just make ur point and don't raise unnecessary dust
I choose my names. They didn't choose me as surnames
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by dasparrow: 5:07pm On Sep 05, 2020
BananaPeel:
They didn't throwaway their origin but only adopted names due to difficulty in pronunciation. Warri isn't left out too. if they threw away their origin they would have been living like the whites, but that is not the case.

You are just making unnecessary excuses. Why should it be the African man's problem if the white man cannot pronounce his name? Apart from english names, many German, polish, Russian, Scandinavian and east european names are very difficult to pronounce. Let's not get it twisted. So why have the people from the aforementioned regions of the world not changed their names to something easily pronounceable? Why are the chinese not changing their names to something more pronounceable since they trade a lot with white america? Just admit that the African man is spineless! SHIKENA!

1 Like

Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by dasparrow: 5:11pm On Sep 05, 2020
codemaniacs:

your ancestors never sold slaves, they were never victims of slave trade, they are victims of colonialism, colonialism and slavery are two different things, only few nations in Africa experienced slavery, no country in west Africa experienced slavery.

in the year 2020, white people hate and kill black people.... Do you think that in the year 1600s, 1700s, 1900s they will trade and interact with black people peacefully without hatred, killing and war

Good question.
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by BananaPeel(m): 5:14pm On Sep 05, 2020
dasparrow:

You are just making unnecessary excuses. Why should it be the African man's problem if the white man cannot pronounce his name? Apart from english names, many German, polish, Russian, Scandinavian and east european names are very difficult to pronounce. Let's not get it twisted. So why have the people from the aforementioned regions of the world not changed their names to something easily pronounceable? Why are the chinese not changing their names to something more pronounceable since they trade a lot with white america? Just admit that the African man is spineless! SHIKENA!
Of course, just as you are spineless.
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by KingWarri: 5:16pm On Sep 05, 2020
doctore212:
I have been thinking of this for a long time now. My babe from Rivers State her surname is Thompson Olosho bee.

I have pleaded with her to change her name because of the ( olosho ) she refused .

And this singular act have been keeping us from our wedding.
Olosho!!! shocked that one shock me..... grin

Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by kunleham(m): 5:16pm On Sep 05, 2020
[quote author=codemaniacs post=93592390]

colonial mentality and self hate is what caused it.

just like MelesZenawi has said, they threw away their native names.

it has nothing to do with trade, as the br:itish were more interested in wiping off and subjugating the indigenous populations rather than helping them.

for lagos names, the british brought black brazilians and other people of African descent from the American continent to replace the indigenous lagos population. it could be the same with the ijaw, igbos and some people from south south.

even Samuel Ajayi Crowther was not Yoruba, the british just added ajayi to deceive the yorubas in lagos.[/quote

Oga stop that rubbish, it's obvious you don't know history. Ajayi Crowther is a true Yoruba born. He was born at Osogun] in Iseyin L G.
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by oocyte: 5:17pm On Sep 05, 2020
Pls make sure you do your thorough research before commenting,apart from Lagos and Onitsha one of the oldest missionary schools in Nigeria is found in southern Igbo Unwana pricely in Afikpo north LAG Ebonyi state,it was founded in 1880s by Presbyterian missionaries now known as community primary school Unwana.

2 Likes

Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by dasparrow: 5:23pm On Sep 05, 2020
HarryDuce:
It was/is more a thing of prestige --to distinguish themselves from their neighbours-- and for easy pronunciation on the path of the Europeans after centuries of close interactions. They didn't "lose" their culture like some ignoramuses claim.

They bear European surnames alongside their native names. For every Horsfall, Lawson, Hart, Tariah, Pepple, Bobmanuel, Quaker, Douglas, Braide, David West, Princewill, Jackreece, Jack-Rich, Briggs, you have; Amachree, Igoniwari, Alalibo, Origoni, Batubo, Kalio, Diepreye, Okilo, Ikoli, Dokubo, Omubo, Owunari, Idoniboye-Obu, Ibulubo, Ibama and many more .

They should have never given up their native names. It just shows that the African man is spineless! Can I show up at your house and because I want to do business with you make you, your wife, your children and your parents change your names just because I can't pronounce your native African names?

Can we Africans go to europe and request that europeans change their names all because we Africans can't pronounce it? If we did that, oyibos will tell us to carry our so-called business and get out of their sight.

Why didn't the chinese give up their names when they began doing business with the whites? It is because the Chinese understand that only a CONQUERED people will give up their identity in exchange for a foreign identity.

Again, how has giving up your African names benefitted you people today? Can you travel to england or portugal with a Nigerian passport without needing a visa? Okay then! You threw your identity away for nothing! You are a CONQUERED PEOPLE!

1 Like

Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by Kirigidi(m): 5:24pm On Sep 05, 2020
MrOjay1:

i have always thought it was the yorubas(the ones living in Lagos) that first came in contact with the Europeans.

And the Europeans also lived long in YorubaLand(Lagos) before permeating other regions.

They stayed long enough in Lagos to establish the first mission school(Badagry and CMS)...so why weren't their surnames influenced?
I think it was the Benin kingdom the Europeans (particularly the Portuguese) first had sustained contact and trade relationship with more than 500years ago (in the 1400s AD).

1 Like

Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by dasparrow: 5:26pm On Sep 05, 2020
KosiGee:

Inferiority complex. Let me type it in upper case.

INFERIORITY COMPLEX.

That was the reason.

Europeans also came to the shores of Southern parts of Africa. The Zulu man didn’t throw away his Shabalala or Nthshangase to adopt one shallow nonsense he doesn’t know the meaning.

It’s happening amongst some overzealous Christians now. Someone would answer Endurance, Success, Miracle, Prosperity, Confidence when there are equivalent names on their native tongues. They just are not comfortable answering their native names or speaking their native tongues.

The Irish went to the US, they maintained their names, the Scots too...the McDonalds are Scots, Irish...their Celtic heritage is still their, those from Eastern Europe kept their ...ic, ov.. Cilic, Balakov etc. The Germans have their names, the Indians still practice their culture and didn’t change.

The reason is weakness of culture and the mentality of its inhabitants.

May you live long! You have said it all.
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by Kirigidi(m): 5:30pm On Sep 05, 2020
MrOjay1:

But how come the first mission school in Nigeria was established in Badagry?
That first mission school was built in the 1800s AD, but early European explorers and merchants have been in contact with the Binis and Niger Delta coastal communities as far back as 1400s AD.
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by 0taPiaPia(m): 5:32pm On Sep 05, 2020
FrLukas:
Those are the nice ones.

Lol.

You need to see some others...

grin grin grin grin grin
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by dasparrow: 5:34pm On Sep 05, 2020
airsaylongcom:

LOL....yes fish and other kinds of cargo

So you had to change your entire identity, throw away your beautiful African native names with their beautiful meanings just so you can sell some fish to some melanin-deficient people who wandered uninvited into your land and geographical territory from europe? Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha! cheesy Laugh wan finish me!

1 Like

Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by Deban: 5:36pm On Sep 05, 2020
Some one was asking about the oldest school in Eastern Nigeria being a prove of where the white man settled. He mention CKC Onitsha and another school
I attended Enitonna High School, Port Harcourt founded by Rev. Potts Johnson in 1930.
St. Stephen Cathedral Bonny was the first Anglican Church in Eastern Nigeria and maybe Nigeria.
The Portuguese traded with the city states of Bonny, Opobo, Nembe, Kalabari Benin way back. Opobo was founded by Jaja mad some Bonny Chiefs. Bonny Island was so named because Ibani was a bit difficult to pronounce. Bonny Kings mad chiefs traded with the Portuguese, Dutch way before the British came with their gun boat diplomacy to establish protectorates and colonies.
The trade with the city states along the Bright of Biafra along the Atlantic predates slave era. Some Portugese even settled amongst their trade partners in those Ijaw city states, bearing children who stayed back. In the 1980s, it was very easy to see fair skinned indigenous Bonny and Kalabari indigens and chiefs whose fore parents were descendants of Europeans who stayed back.
Even during slave trade, these Islands were used as slave ports. Most slave were caught from the hinterlands, sold to Bony chiefs (like Jaja who was from Amaigbo in Nkwerri and sold at Azumini-Ndoki to Chief Manual People of Bonny). After slave trade which became illegal, came legitimate trade in oil palm. Legitimate trade brought colonialism and colonialism brought the missionaries who established churches and schools. It was the missionaries who ventured into Igbo land like Onitsha and other parts of Nigeria because their was a colonial Government that provided law and order. Before then, most Europeans who ventured ipast the Islands of the Niger Delta into the hinterlands were eaten by Cannibals. The Royal Niger Company first came mad provided the basis for Colonial government and Christian Missionary.

While the Portugese were exploring the coast of the Atlantic, the Arabs were exploring the North with Islam. While the South adopted European names, the North adopted Islamic names like Mohammed. Islamic names are not indigenous names.
If the Europeans came to Onitsha to establish CKC in the 1920s, they have lived in Bonny since the 1400s. There were times the Europeans owned Port Harcourt which they named after Secretary of Colonial Affairs. The Apartheid in Port Harcourt were blacks can not go near European Quarters which is today's Old GRA, while black workers lived around old Port Harcourt township, where the first Mayor of Port Harcourt, Mr. Ihekwaba, an indigen of Orlu I Igbo land, lived.

Good question.[/quote]

2 Likes

Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by Deban: 5:38pm On Sep 05, 2020
Where ever you see mad, replace with and
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by codemaniacs: 5:41pm On Sep 05, 2020
zz
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by Kirigidi(m): 5:42pm On Sep 05, 2020
mamaafrik:
I noticed that South South and south east has most flair for Western culture more followed by SW,North is the most lackadaisical to Western world but same North is also the first to get indoctrinated to Arabian culture absorbing their names,way of live etc.
I think it has to do with foreign culture's age of encounter and the affinity to their culture by locals.
The Moslem North have almost lost all their African culture (e.g names, marriage rites, etc) in favour of Arabic culture.
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by MrOjay1(m): 5:43pm On Sep 05, 2020
smiley

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (22) (Reply)

Difference Between Hausa And Fulani Turban (Photos) / Town Where Death Awaits Albinos / 10 First-class Nigerian Kings Die In 6 Months {FULL LIST}

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.