Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,125 members, 7,818,376 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:53 PM

About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes - Culture (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes (57284 Views)

Young Virgins Initiated Into Womanhood In Ogu Town, (OKRIKA) Rivers State / Common Surnames Among Igbos And Their Northern Neigbours / 19 Young Virgins Initiated Into Womanhood In Okrika, Rivers State. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by Laboni: 2:56pm On Sep 05, 2020
oneeast3:
Europeans came to Onitsha and settled down long before settling in the Niger Delta. Europeans established so many premier colleges in Onitsha like DMGS, CKC, QRC etc,, but it didn't make the Onitsha people that started having contacts with Europeans way back in 1500AD to threw away their origin.

Even the oldest missions in the old eastern region comprising of Rivers state were established by the British in Onitsha. It proves another point that they settled more in Onitsha than anywhere in the present day Niger delta, but still yet the people the British met in Onitsha never threw away their origin.
Those that came to Onitsha are missionaries. European slave traders has been in the Niger Delta for decades( and they are not interested in establishing schools, churches, hospitals, etc.) before missionaries started coming into Onitsha and other parts of the country.
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by Etinosa1234: 2:56pm On Sep 05, 2020
Iamgrey5:
@ emboldened

using a democratic government to explain an imperial kingdom is shameful

Was the Oba of Lagos elected like Buhari or was Bini kingdom practicing democracy?

If Bini controlled Lagos as you implied, you will definitely have lands in Lagos today as it was a quest for land grabbing.

it’s almost like I have been arguing with a board since morning ??

When did Bini arrive in Lagos to have arrived before Elegushi in ikate?

And how is Elegushi a subject of Oba of Bini when

Obviously u don't understand things well...

The Benin ruled Lagos indirectly using the Oba of Lagos ... And the rule ended when the British invaded Lagos, pursued Oba kosoko and reinstalled Oba Akitoye.

Then when Benin were defeated by the British, they lost all their territories outside their Homeland

So Oba of Lagos was subjected to the Oba of Benin.
The ruling system of the Oba of Lagos included the use of chiefs popularly known as white Cap chiefs or Onifila funfun like idejo(landowners), akarigbere(king makers), etc...
And since it has been established that elegushi was part of the idejo and is subjected to the Oba of Lagos, so therefore, elegushi was indirectly subjected to Oba of Benin...

In summary
Oba of Benin >>>> Oba of Lagos >>>> Elegushi

If u can't understand , I'm sorry there's nothing more I can do for ur lack of understanding

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by oneeast3: 2:57pm On Sep 05, 2020
Customtest:

St. Paul primary school in Opobo Kingdom is older than any school in anambra
And St Stephens bonny is the first Anglican church in Nigeria

Please post source and not making empty noise
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by Iamgrey5(m): 3:00pm On Sep 05, 2020
Etinosa1234:

Obviously u don't understand things well...

The Benin ruled Lagos indirectly using the Oba of Lagos ... And the rule ended when the British invaded Lagos, pursued Oba kosoko and reinstalled Oba Akitoye.

Then when Benin were defeated by the British, they lost all their territories outside their Homeland

So Oba of Lagos was subjected to the Oba of Benin.
The ruling system of the Oba of Lagos included the use of chiefs popularly known as white Cap chiefs or Onifila funfun like idejo(landowners), akarigbere(king makers), etc...
And since it has been established that elegushi was part of the idejo and is subjected to the Oba of Lagos, so therefore, elegushi is indirectly subjected to Oba of Benin...

In summary
Oba of Benin >>>> Oba of Lagos >>>> Elegushi

If u can't understand , I'm sorry there's nothing more I can do for ur lack of understanding
Nonesense!

Elegushi was never a subject to Oba of Lagos

They existed in a mutual respect setting

Elegushi and the rest of the white cap chiefs had the power which was the control of Land.

If Oba of Lagos was powerful, why couldn't he command them to give his red cap chiefs their lands?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by BornRicch(m): 3:01pm On Sep 05, 2020
Iamgrey5:
This one doesn't even know how to argue

Na confirm Olodo grin

So Elegushi, Oniru and Onikoyi never existed because you can't find a British record for them..

You think a Kingdom would just start frpm nowhere and control almost the entire length of Lekki and Ajah in Lagos? cheesy

You guys never seem to amaze me. The guys is stating facts with prove, but you're here arguing blindly. This is the problem with you Yoruba always arguing, noise makers. Present the history of those kings with facts. You should be grateful for the British.

1 Like

Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by michresakidjo(m): 3:02pm On Sep 05, 2020
dalass:

Please don't even try to say the word 'Oba' is from Benin...

Yoruba people has Oyo, Ondo, Lagos, Osun, Ekiti, Kwara and Kogi states with proudly Yoruba's...Yoruba tribes in Republic of Benin have Obas who know they are of Yoruba roots and they are proud of it..

The ancestors of Edo Bini knows that they can't claim that Oba word at all.

We need history back in our classes abeg.. All these Confucian people self

One of my lecturers.

O.A.U once said

Naa evehstwhegey whey e UE vsftwj

1 Like

Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by IgANephropathy(m): 3:05pm On Sep 05, 2020
Etinosa1234:

Well nice of you to say so...

Britain became a protectorate of Roman Empire due to the fact that it was written that they were unable to wage war with a stronger Power... So much less they'll be regarded as colonies tho... In Nigeria, we had the Southern and Northern protectorate.
Using ur story,what would we say that the Southern kingdoms which we clearly know abt fell to British but were still tagged as protectorate? Would we say that the British conquest of Nigeria is false because South and North were called protectorates

It is written (except if u have a controversial eyewitness reports on it) that Benin conquered Lagos after several attempts till when the Olofin died
They became a colony after their amalgamation and full inculcation into the British Empire which happened after 1914. Prior to that both protectorate were self-governed with interest from the British government. It might seem pedantic but they are different. As a colony between 1914 to 1960, they were wholly under British rule and governance.

Its like saying Hitler ruled France because he occupied France during the 2nd World War. This is something similar
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by Etinosa1234: 3:05pm On Sep 05, 2020
Iamgrey5:
[s]Nonesense!

Elegushi was never a subject to Oba of Lagos

They existed in a mutual respect setting

Elegushi and the rest of the white cap chiefs had the power which was the control of Land.

If Oba of Lagos was powerful, why couldn't he command them to give his red cap chiefs their lands? [/s]

See Tears grin grin... I don beat this one sotey he don dey find Red Cap chiefs wey nor dey

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by Keraxes: 3:05pm On Sep 05, 2020
BornRicch:

You guys never seem to amaze me. The guys is stating facts with prove, but you're here arguing blindly. This is the problem with you Yoruba always arguing, noise makers. Present the history of those kings with facts. You should be grateful for the British.
Shut up olodo another Benin fool. Always twisting history of 2 by 2 Benin kingdom
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by RedboneSmith(m): 3:06pm On Sep 05, 2020
jrusky:

It was the Ijaw and the first school, mission, hospital was built in Lagos

Pls don't bring your nonsense tribal madness you are trying to filter in here. Remain in the line of discussion we all want to learn how foreign names came on SS name ok, if you have the answer say it or pls quietly dissappear here.

This is why I withdraw from threads and stop commenting once it hits frontpage. A lot of mad people will quote you and try to drag you into their madness.

1 Like

Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by AwkaFinest: 3:08pm On Sep 05, 2020
lexy2014:

Also, take note of my number 1 point:

"1. D topic says Rivers State not bayelsa."

I've talked about Rivers. Similar thing occurs in Bayelsa as well.
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by Etinosa1234: 3:13pm On Sep 05, 2020
IgANephropathy:
They became a colony after their amalgamation and full inculcation into the British Empire which happened after 1914. Prior to that both protectorate were self-governed with interest from the British government. It might seem pedantic but they are different. As a colony between 1914 to 1960, they were wholly under British rule and governance.

Its like saying Hitler ruled France because he occupied France during the 2nd World War. This is something similar
I've posted accounts that say that Lagos was conquered after several attempts

The British still used indirect rule after 1914... Remember aba women riots??

Concerning ur last paragraph, are u saying Hitler didn't rule France for a short period of time.. .. So that occupation was what?

Doesn't it defy ur talk of a smaller Power signing a peace treaty to become a protectorate...

One protectorate in Second war is austria

5 Likes

Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by Iamgrey5(m): 3:14pm On Sep 05, 2020
BornRicch:

Which facts?

1 Like

Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by BornRicch(m): 3:16pm On Sep 05, 2020
Keraxes:

Shut up olodo another Benin fool. Always twisting history of 2 by 2 Benin kingdom

Lol bastard fellow. I hope you done eat amala, omiobe and ewedu soup this morning! Weakling tribes.. SLAVES!!!

4 Likes

Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by Keraxes: 3:18pm On Sep 05, 2020
BornRicch:

Lol bastard fellow. I hope you done eat amala, omiobe and ewedu soup this morning! Weakling tribes.. SLAVES!!!
Oloriburuku olofo omo ofo. Go to hell e pain am

1 Like

Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by Iamgrey5(m): 3:18pm On Sep 05, 2020
Etinosa1234:

See Tears grin grin... I don beat this one sotey he don dey find Red Cap chiefs wey nor dey
So you don't there were red and White cap chiefs in Lagos?

You don't know the likes of Obanikoro's family were red cap chiefs while idejo were White cap chiefs?

The houses of the red cap chiefs with affiliations to Benin kingdom are still on Lagos island till date.

Places like iga Kosoko, iga Obanikoro but the land belongs to Aromire.

Question: have you ever been to Lagos Island before

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by BornRicch(m): 3:19pm On Sep 05, 2020
Iamgrey5:
Which facts?

Your distorted history told by your weakling elders. Slave Tribe....
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by BornRicch(m): 3:21pm On Sep 05, 2020
Keraxes:

Oloriburuku olofo omo ofo. Go to hell e pain am

lol I will just keep smiling at your ignorant. You can't change the fact that your Fathers were Slaves!!! Weakling tribes..
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by Keraxes: 3:22pm On Sep 05, 2020
BornRicch:

lol I will just keep smiling at your ignorant. You can't change the fact that your Fathers were Slaves!!! Weakling tribes..
Lol idiotic fool. My own forefathers from Ibadan killed so many Benin slaves including your bastard weak wretched grandfather. So definitely not my forefathers
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by lexy2014: 3:22pm On Sep 05, 2020
AwkaFinest:

I've talked about Rivers. Similar thing occurs in Bayelsa as well.

"1. D topic says Rivers State not bayelsa."
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by DuBLINGreenb(m): 3:23pm On Sep 05, 2020
oneeast3:

So are the niger delta people bearing portugese names or English names?

We bear both, many of our last names like Bob-'Manuel', Duarte, Pedro (don-pedro family of Abonnema/buguma area) is of Portuguese origin
There are many other last names with Portuguese origins I can't immediately remember now

Even the wafi/warri/edo/Delta/Niger Delta pigin we speak comes from portuguese
Examples:
pikin" or "pickaninny" comes from the Portuguese words "pequeno" and "pequeninho", which mean "small" and "small child" respectively.
Sabi comes from the Portuguese sabir which means "to know"

1 Like

Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by Iamgrey5(m): 3:23pm On Sep 05, 2020
BornRicch:

Your distorted history told by your weakling elders. Slave Tribe....
Which facts?

I thought you would be man enough to show those facts?

Rather as true son of your ancestors, you only chose to insult.
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by Etinosa1234: 3:24pm On Sep 05, 2020
Iamgrey5:
So you don't there were red and White cap chiefs in Lagos?

You don't know the likes of Obanikoro's family were red cap chiefs while idejo were White cap chiefs?

The houses of the red cap chiefs with affiliations to Benin kingdom are still on Lagos island till date.

Places like iga Kosoko, iga Obanikoro but the land belongs to Aromire.

Question: have you ever been to Lagos Island before

Stop deviating
I've already broken down for u how elegushi is under oba of Lagos here

Carry ur recent red cap chiefs quarrel into the trash

5 Likes

Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by Iamgrey5(m): 3:28pm On Sep 05, 2020
Etinosa1234:

Stop deviating
I've already broken down for u how elegushi is under oba of Lagos here

Carry ur recent red cap chiefs quarrel into the trash
So sorry but Elegushi isn't under Oba of Lagos, not anymore

In fact the Idejo referred to Oba of Lagos as Balee idumota or Eleko until British named Eko or Oko as Aworis called Lagos Lagos.
Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by Etinosa1234: 3:29pm On Sep 05, 2020
Iamgrey5:
So sorry but Elegushi isn't under Oba of Lagos, not anymore

In fact the Idejo referred to Oba of Lagos as Balee idumota or Eleko until British named Eko or Oko as Aworis called Lagos Lagos.

Source?

6 Likes

Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by Iamgrey5(m): 3:49pm On Sep 05, 2020
Etinosa1234:
Source?
There you go

Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by uBuNiT: 3:49pm On Sep 05, 2020
dalass:

Please don't even try to say the word 'Oba' is from Benin...

Yoruba people has Oyo, Ondo, Lagos, Osun, Ekiti, Kwara and Kogi states with proudly Yoruba's...Yoruba tribes in Republic of Benin have Obas who know they are of Yoruba roots and they are proud of it..

The ancestors of Edo Bini knows that they can't claim that Oba word at all.

We need history back in our classes abeg.. All these Confucian people self
See maturity. She didn't insult at all, unlike a typical nairalander.

1 Like

Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by DuBLINGreenb(m): 3:50pm On Sep 05, 2020
Kennydoc:

DMGS was established in 1925, CKC in 1933.
Do you know when the Portuguese first arrived Bini? It was in the 15th century.
I'm Igbo, but please let's not bring that bragging thing into this thread.

You are a good man, please try to be a little more vocal don't allow the bad Igbos to be more visible and audible than you guys it is crazy that an Igbo will claim whites reached Onitsha before coming back down to Ijaw land when Portuguese had already started trading with the Ijaws as early as the 15th century, many stories abound from Henrietta Kingsley even much earlier than her.

I am Ijaw but I didn't just want to argue because I am thinking "If the white man reached you first so what?"

We have a bell in my village as a gift from the London Anglican church it was given to us in the early before the 18th century

And the British didn't enter Igbo land till after that time

Also alot of Ijaw/Kalabari people especially like Ben Murray bruce ancestors, professor Robin Horton and co. were white men from UK, Portugal and elsewhere who came and decided to settle in Ijaw land till their deaths some came as early as the 15th century and others much later as late as 19th century like Professor Horton did he became a chief in Kalabari land married a native and all that but he was white

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by naijapatriot: 3:53pm On Sep 05, 2020
MrOjay1:

i have always thought it was the yorubas(the ones living in Lagos) that first came in contact with the Europeans.

And the Europeans also lived long in YorubaLand(Lagos) before permeating other regions.

They stayed long enough in Lagos to establish the first mission school(Badagry and CMS)...so why weren't their surnames influenced?
Actually the Benins had the first contact with Europeans around 1472 when Alfonso d'Aviero a Portuguese expeditor came to the ancient kingdom. Benin had an embassy in Lisbon as early as the 1500s

1 Like

Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by Scavy: 4:04pm On Sep 05, 2020
i am from RIVERS STATE

I BEAR A WELSH AND IRISH SURNAME AND FIRST NAME

ITS WAS AS A RESULT OF COLONISATION,

MOST OF THE WHITIE THAT ENTERED THE COUNTRY CAME IN THROW WATER.....

AND WE HAVE THE ATLANTIC OCEAN AT OUR BACKYARD WE WILL WERE LIKE THIER FIRST CONTACT.

1 Like

Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by IgANephropathy(m): 4:08pm On Sep 05, 2020
Etinosa1234:

I've posted accounts that say that Lagos was conquered after several attempts

The British still used indirect rule after 1914... Remember aba women riots??

Concerning ur last paragraph, are u saying Hitler didn't rule France for a short period of time.. .. So that occupation was what?

Doesn't it defy ur talk of a smaller Power signing a peace treaty to become a protectorate...

One protectorate in Second war is austria
If we use your submission that Hitler ruled France, then rulership would be too lose a term. I am very sure the French wont list Hitler as one of its ruler. A military occupation translates into rulership when resistance has been totally/subtotally crushed and rulership is established post-occupation.

The Americans/Russians occupied Germany after their victory in WW2. Both it’ll take more than a strong notion to say Americans/Russians ruled Germany.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: About The Surnames Of Rivers State Indigenes by Systrom(m): 4:21pm On Sep 05, 2020
otonye12:

Well I cant speak for the whole Rivers State, but as a Kalabari guy, the westernised names we bear were gotten from the Portuguese who dwelt and traded with our people.
They even mingled with our women who bore children for them and were given the names of their fathers (the Portuguese) which stuck and eventually was used as their surname.
Not just in names, the Portuguese also influenced a lot about our culture so much that the popular "etibo" dress usually called "senator" was brought by the Portuguese as gift to our chiefs.
Also the hats and the walking sticks too.
But the names you Ijaws bear sounds more like English names not Portuguese names

Portuguese names would sound more like Sanchez, Fernandez, Cardoso, Benedito, Alfonso, Ernesto, Antonio etc

Similar to Spanish names

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (22) (Reply)

Mixed Reactions As An 'Outcast' Is Made King In Imo Community. Photos / 90-year-old Emir Of Daura, Faruk Umar Marries 20-year-old Bride (Pictures) / Your Favourite(s) Igbo Praise Names For God

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.