Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,602 members, 7,809,189 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:52 AM

Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It - Culture (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It (31461 Views)

What Is The Logic Behind ''ingli-igbo'' Names? / Oduduwa Was Not Igbo Prince – Oluwo Of Iwo / Ikwerre Of Rivers, Ukwani And Ika Of Delta Are Not Igbo. Here Is Proof (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (37) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by gregyboy(m): 8:51am On Nov 28, 2020
babtoundey:

Then prove it. Yorubas have given you a hundred and one meanings of Oba (all pointing to the same meaning), they have given you ancient names, that have "Oba" attached and names of traditional rulers, titles and positions that are prefixed with "Oba", they have given you names of traditional positions that derive their meaning and essence from the word "Oba" they have provided standing proofs that Benin stole the name from them. You could tell us what "Oba" means in your language let alone substantiating your odious claim "oba" is truly yours.
Must we be forced to ignore sense and reasoning and embrace your "it is what it is" stance because you are Gregboy, the mouthpiece of the entire Benin empire and the confused originator of "shinny seki" and it's red". We know you're confused. Just make us believe you're not confuse as you truly are. prove Tao wrong at least for once.
obaluaye
obalufon
obatala
obataasa
obalogun All these names and titles are as old as Yoruba itself. Your lies are not marketable. repackage them.

Rant upon rant, obalufon obatala, lol are you from ife, i guess No, but you defend like you an indigene, no matter how best you defend, you cannot defend better than sn idegenous ife man
You just defending because you're yoruba nothing more,

Seriously obalufon, obatala how do we know dey existed, how do we know dey were not recently coined to fit in the ownership of the word oba

Are you aware those sculpture in ife was bought from merchants they were not made in ife

Please my friend

The etymology of the word oba is shinning one

Literally the word oba means king in literal terms

So, words like obaseki means[b] a king is greater than the market[/b]

Please read in English and not in yoruba

Because i have so explain this to you, that even a deft man could get my explanation

The painful truth is that you lots are not from ife only an ife guy can debate the binis on some issues like this

So tell me how did the benins borrow the word oba from yoruba and please dont give me that oromiyan crap of a myth

And again why did the yoruba kings use an already used title for king in benin as a generic term for the king, if not for dubious purpose

The Europeans started using the word oba, as a collective word for yoruba kings because they needed a single word to discribe their kingship
And the only monarch they knew was oba of benin,

So it was easier to call them oba as a collective name

1 Like

Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by TAO11(f): 9:05am On Nov 28, 2020
So far in the course of this thread, the following retar.ded claims have been devastatingly debunked:

(1) The retar.ded claim (by disgruntled Binis) that Yorubas began using the word “Oba” in the post-1930s.

This has been debunked with written evidence of Yoruba usage from 1899, from 1897, from c.1867, from 1845, et al.

(2) The retar.ded claim (by @samuk) that there exists some “600 years” old written evidence of Benin usage of the word “Oba”.

This retar.ded claim is yet to be substantiated (even with an atom of evidence) despite more than 10 days (and still counting) of their torturous search. cheesy

Instead, these disgruntled Binis were at best only able to demonstrate (from their own warped logic) that the Yorubas have an earlier written evidence — 1845 (Yoruba) Vs. 1867 (Bini).

——————————————————
But what does it really mean that I was able to produce an 1845 written evidence and the Binis weren’t able to come even close to that ??

Well, it just simply means that the Binis weren’t able to come close to the Yorubas, despite their own bogus claim of wRiTteN eViDeNcE. Nothing more, nothing less! [I know I’m being too nice now]. grin

To put the same question in other words:
Does the comparative written evidence already provided really mean that the Binis began using this word only in the year 1867 — because that’s all they could provide ??

Funny enough, this line of warped reasoning is what the disgruntled Binis have been trailing. Should I play their game along with them? No, I’m Yoruba! cool

To every sound and logically mind, such conclusion (based on available writing) is too obvious as a flawed reasoning and logical fallacy — even though I could have forced their own flawed reasoning down their throats.

Such particular logical fallacy is know in analytical logic specifically by the name: argumentum ex silentio.
grin

————————————————————
Having debunked their deluded claim of 1930s [see (1)]; having exposed @samuk’s fraud of “600 years” old writing [see (2)]; having exposed their inability to produce anything close to (let alone earlier than) the Yorubas’ [see (2)]; having debunked their warped logic of arguing from earlier written usage (despite the fact that it favours me); I now turn, at this point, to discussing the actual objective evidence for determining the indigenous ownership of a word — that is, the linguistic evidence.

——————————————————————
The Argument:
(I) If a word is in use in a particular language, but its literal meaning can not be meaningfully analyzed within that language; then such word does not originally belong to that language. Gbam!

(II) The word “Ọba” (as used by the Binis for their monarch) does not have any literal meaning in the language of the Binis.

(III) In conclusion, the word “Ọba” (as used by the Binis for their monarch) does not belong originally to the Bini language — In other words, it is a loanword.

————————————————————
The Evidence:
An objective source of evidence for the meanings of Bini words is obviously and undoubtedly an authoritative dictionary of the Bini language itself.

[This is not to be confused with a dictionary of the English language which simply features a paltry number of non-English words of widespread, global, popular usage — such as: “fufu”, “agbada”, “oba”, et al.]

As such, recourse will now be made to a Bini-English Lexicon. This is so that the English readers here can access the written meanings which are attributed to the actual Bini words.

One such example of an authoritative material for this purpose is the work entitled: “A Concise Dictionary of The Bini Language of Southern Nigeria” compiled by the professor of African Phonetics and Linguistics, Hans Melzian.

———————————————————
Under the entry “Ọba” (for which Professor Melzian used “ɔ” to represent “ọ“, in order to distinguish /o/ as in odd smiley from /o/ as in old sad ); the following are some interesting observations from this Bini dictionary.

(A) Unlike what the author did with virtually all other Bini words within the same dictionary, he did not give a literal meaning to this word — as I have expected. cheesy

Rather, he simply describes the person whom the Binis refer to by this word. Interesting, isn’t it?! cheesy See embedded image below:

www.nairaland.com/attachments/12754901_bb7fcaad09fc479498aedbb24cb57370_jpeg_jpeg80dbd02cb7ce1db81e998db7e161c38e

(B) But more than that, the author (in fact) let the cat out of the bag. He revealed why this word could not have had a literal meaning in a dictionary of Bini language.

Before I reveal his reason, it is important that one is acquainted with a few notations and abbreviations which he define in his work.

Two examples of these are relevant to my discourse here, and they are: “Yor.” and “cf.” which he defines as: “Yoruba” and “etymological reference” respectively.

See embedded image below:

www.nairaland.com/attachments/12754902_541f22648c37485488282bea682c0e27_jpeg_jpegf272ec9b7e8de333789df15c524980aa

In the light of this background, let’s then see what reason the author indicates as to why this word could have appeared without a literal meaning in the Bini dictionary.

See embedded image below as highlighted on the top-right corner in continuation of the bottom-left corner.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/12754903_7e31a3d03b7c407ab60e863fbf8fb4c2_jpeg_jpegfba5de93eebde69a9ef00beabf7a605c

In the light of his foregoing definition of abbreviations, what we have here in the phrase “cf. Yor. ɔba” then becomes extremely clear and straightforward.

In other words, the word “Ọba” [ɔba] (used by the Binis for their monarch) has its ”etymology” [cf.] (aka. ”origin”) in the Yoruba language [Yor.]. cool grin

Quod Erat Demostrandum! cool

52 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by Nobody: 9:07am On Nov 28, 2020
gregyboy:

It is simple yorubas took the word oba from benin, then started using as a collective name for thier kingship to elevate their stool internationally

The word oba got into yoruba lexicon through eastern Yoruba

The conquered takes upon the name of the conqueror
You no dey shame at all. Chai!

1 Like

Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by Nobody: 9:08am On Nov 28, 2020
TAO11:
We hear!
www.nairaland.com/attachments/12300045_1180859311783653img20190722154954jpegb78bac5c83a42178910da3de9aa62adbjpegjpeg9cfba2c96c509f82646e09ea44461ee6_jpeg_jpegd2120de126612f0fe3ddadd01b9c1d3b

Y’all: I’m currently preparing another resounding refutation of another Bini lie.

It will be a thread. It will be massive. Stay tuned. smiley cool

We meeoouuvvvve! cheesy grin cheesy [Evil Laughter]!
Mention me when it's done, pls.

2 Likes

Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by samuk: 9:10am On Nov 28, 2020
TAO11:

You mean the achievement of how Yorubas imposes names, deities, monarchy etc. on your ancestral daddies?? grin

The conquered takes upon the name of the conqueror not the other way around.

Benin eyewitness written historical accounts is more than 400 years older than Yoruba history. Yoruba woke up more than 400 years late and trying to close the gap with concoctions and fabrications.

1 Like

Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by gregyboy(m): 9:13am On Nov 28, 2020
TheLionofLasigi:

God will bless you for the work you're doing, these people take pleasure in twisting facts and coming under different monikas to sow discord and falsehood between the Yoruba's and it's Edo cousins.
God bless you.

Tarh, edo cousin, tarh mechonu, kunhuwevba

We bins and yorubas are far from being thesame family we are you yet to see yorubas prove the benin-ife claims, TAO11 has sworn to avoid me because most times i send her dump skull to the benin moat

Because i would always drag her out
Look at the picture TAO11 used as archaeological evidence for benin ife relationship
A sculpture created in 1984
Lol TAO11 has gone mad over her benin obsession

Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by gregyboy(m): 9:21am On Nov 28, 2020
babtoundey:

Then prove it. Yorubas have given you a hundred and one meanings of Oba (all pointing to the same meaning), they have given you ancient names, that have "Oba" attached and names of traditional rulers, titles and positions that are prefixed with "Oba", they have given you names of traditional positions that derive their meaning and essence from the word "Oba" they have provided standing proofs that Benin stole the name from them. You could tell us what "Oba" means in your language let alone substantiating your odious claim "oba" is truly yours.
Must we be forced to ignore sense and reasoning and embrace your "it is what it is" stance because you are Gregboy, the mouthpiece of the entire Benin empire and the confused originator of "shinny seki" and it's red". We know you're confused. Just make us believe you're not confuse as you truly are. prove Tao wrong at least for once.
obaluaye
obalufon
obatala
obataasa
obalogun All these names and titles are as old as Yoruba itself. Your lies are not marketable. repackage them.

Give me. 101 meaniny of the title owa, or else owa was also borrowed from benin

The painful truth is on a real ground debate you would be disqualified you and TAO11 youre not even from ife

To show how the word oba has gained respect in the yoruba lexicon during the yoruba civil war benin supplied the yorubas the atilaries they used in killing themselves

1 Like

Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by samuk: 9:22am On Nov 28, 2020
gomojam:

Whatever TAO11 comes up with, she will have to first account for the 400 years eyewitness written historical accounts gap between Benin and Ife.

I will like to see how she accomplished it without the Benin/Ife relationship which has been debunked.

2 Likes

Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by Nobody: 9:26am On Nov 28, 2020
TAO11:
Another lie from samuk the liar about to be dismantled:

(Q) Did some Eastern-Yoruba kingdoms engage in warfare with Benin kingdom at some point in the course of history?

(A) Yes!
(Q) But did Benin kingdom rule and control some Eastern Yoruba kingdoms.

(A) Absolute falsehood!

The traditions which makes this false claim ALL emanate originally from Benin kingdom.

And they are not corroborated by the traditions from these Eastern Yoruba kingdoms.

I’ll be waiting for traditions emanating from any Eastern Yoruba kingdom which claims that Benin rules and controls it.

cc: babtoundey

Just as the Urhobos, Itsekiri*, Isoko, et al. now use “Oba”. grin cheesy

———————-
*Yes, I know that technically speaking the Itsekiri were not conquered. But the point I’m making in general already refuted your warped reasoning as always

Come u be logic and reasoning professor? grin

This one too much for my Benin people fa.

2 Likes

Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by Nobody: 9:28am On Nov 28, 2020
samuk:

Whatever TAO11 comes up with, she will have to first account for the 400 years eyewitness written historical accounts gap between Benin and Ife.

I will like to see how she accomplished it without the Benin/Ife relationship which has been debunked.
Abeg carry ur coconut head comot. You no dey shame!

1 Like

Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by samuk: 9:33am On Nov 28, 2020
gomojam:

It's very painful to be fighting someone armed with more than 400 years of eyewitness historical accounts ahead of you and preventing you from stealing it as yours.

I understand your pains.

We are waiting for TAO11, all her fabrications about Benin/Ife relationship have been debunked already.

It's very satisfying to know that Benin history have been keeping the Yoruba busy because you guys have nothing to write home about yours.

2 Likes

Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by TAO12: 9:37am On Nov 28, 2020
samuk:
You can't hind behind two fingers to diminish great Benin, nothing was refuted, I only applied your logic without conceding
Stop being such a little Benin liar. It is I instead who applied your dumb logic to your face to demonstrate your foolishness.

For you: No written eyewitness account means non-existence of persons like: Oduduwa, Oranmiyan, etc.

Applying the same logic: No written eyewitness account of Ewuare I, Eweka I, and several of your ancestral daddies prove that[b] they are mere fictional cartoons[/b]. grin

and still arrived at an accomplished Benin without rival and unequal in historical achievements by the Yoruba.
You mean the accomplishment of how you all were named, brains-washed (into Yoruba religion), clothed, etc. ??

This fight is beyond you
I never received the memo that it was a fight. grin

, the Benin are already 400 years ahead of Yoruba in eyewitness written historical accounts. No one will accuse you of not trying your best, how does anyone expect you to surmount 400 years of historical achievements.
I am glad there was such 400 years writing account which shows how the Benin king was a slave to a greater overlord. Thank God for such old writtings. grin

Your Benin/Ife connection and Oro Oba Ado is gone in flames.
This has been proven beyond what a mere sorrowful rant can salvage. grin Some evidence of the Ife-Benin Connection are found even on this thread — archaeological evidence dating to the 1600 showing your Oba in Ife’s archaeological deposit.

Moreover, Professor R. E. Bradbury documents how he specifically conducted a one-one interview with one of the Benin delegates who took the last Benin Oba’s head to Ife in 1888.

You tried to link Ife to Organe, it was destroyed by the Benin with facts.
No, your daddies still regard the Ooni as Oghene till date in historical contexts.

And the following historians have examined the early documents and found that the Ogané (who is your Oba’s overlord) was in fact the Ooni of Ife:

Stoll, Roth, Marquette, Talbot, Schurhammer, Bradbury, Marti, Mauny, Law, Obayemi, Bradbury, Willett, Akintoye, Smith, Horton, Akinjogbin, among several others.

You tried your luck on linking Ife to Yufi in Zimbabwe, south Africa, that was also rubbished with facts.
Yufi was documented in the 1300s by Ibn Battuta.

Scholars have examined the writings and found that he referred to two (2) different places by that name:

(1) A place in Zimababwe

(2) The more popular Yufi which is none other than IFE. cheesy Die if you want to! grin

You have tried, Coptic and Arabic interpretations just to close the Benin 400 years gab, still no luck.
I didn’t try, I cited the evidence.

Yes, I knew it will hurt you if I cited such fact. I did cite that fact on purpose because I’m aware of your insecurity. cheesy

Keep trying, we are here.
A big mistake. I’m simply disgracing you before sane people.

And they’ve been confirming to be seeing your insecure Bin lies.

Cheers!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by samuk: 9:38am On Nov 28, 2020
gomojam:

History are not logically concocted on computers.
Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by TAO12: 9:42am On Nov 28, 2020
This one is already afraid as usual. Yes, I am doing the advert on purpose. To terrify liars.

samuk:
The 400 years old you’ve be tapping only proved one thing — that the Benin king was subject to another the king — the Ooni of Ife.

Ife-Benin relationship (showing Benin as subject) has been demonstrated incontrovertibly even on this thread.

No amount of sorrowful rant can wish that away. grin Deal with the real world. wink

1 Like

Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by TAO12: 9:43am On Nov 28, 2020
gomojam:
Abeg, don’t let someone vex and commit suicide oo. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by gregyboy(m): 9:44am On Nov 28, 2020
gomojam:
You no dey shame at all. Chai!

Your people nor dey Shame to be forcing benin-ife relationships on benins

2 Likes

Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by samuk: 9:48am On Nov 28, 2020
TAO12:
Stop being a little Benin liar. It is I instead who applied your dumb logic to you to demonstrate your foolishness.

For you: No written eyewitness account means non-existence, e.g. Oduduwa.

Applying the same logic: No written eyewitness account of Ewuare I, Eweka I, and several of your ancestral daddies prove that they are fictional cartoons.

You mean the accomplishment of how you all were named, brains-washed (into Yoruba religion), clothed, etc.

I never received the memo that it was a fight. grin

I am glad there was such 400 years writing account which shows how the Benin king was submissive to a greater overlord. Thank for writting.

This has been proven beyond what a mere sorrowful rant can salvage. grin

No your daddies still a lol the Ooni as Oghene till date. And the following historians have examined the documents and concluded that Ogané (your King’s) overlord was in fact the Ooni of Ife:

Stoll, Roth, Marquette, Talbot, Schurhammer, Bradbury, Marti, Mauny, Law, Obayemi, Bradbury, Willett, Akintoye, Smith, Horton, Akinjogbin, among several others.

Yufi was documented in the 1300s by Ibn Battuta.

Scholars have examined the writings and found that he referred to two (2) different places by that name:

(1) A place in Zimababwe

(2) And the more popular Yufi which is none other than IFE. cheesy Die if you want to! grin

I don’t try, I cited it. Yes, I knew it will hurt you if I cite such fact. I didn’t it on purpose because I’m aware of your insecurity.

A big mistake. I’m disgracing to sane people. And they’ve been confirming to be seeing your insecure Bin lies.

You have a lifelong obsession to steal Benin history for the Yoruba using Ife, we are not going to allow it. Stick to your featherweight Yoruba history and write about it.

Too many people lost their lives for centuries to make and crystallize Benin history.

History is not made by hiding behind a computer screen to concoct and fabricate lies.

Yoruba are the ones suffering from insecurity otherwise they would have been contented with what they have.

3 Likes

Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by TAO12: 9:52am On Nov 28, 2020
samuk:
It's very painful to be fighting someone armed with more than 400 years of eyewitness historical accounts ahead of you and preventing you from stealing it as yours.
Thank God for such 400 years which gave us proof that the Benin king was a slave to another king whom historians had today identified as the Ooni of Ife.

I understand your pains.
Cos you’re used to pains? grin

We are waiting for TAO11, all her fabrications about Benin/Ife relationship have been debunked already.
Just as you’re waiting for proof that Seun is the owner of Nairaland.

This same thread contains a proof of your Oba in Ife’s archaeological deposit. Dating — 1600 CE.

No amount of wishful thinking. self-denial, and sorrowful rant can wash away that mess on your kingdom. grin

Make some nice coffee and then smell it. grin

It's very satisfying to know that Benin history have been keeping the Yoruba busy because you guys have nothing to write home about yours.
Yes, nothing except that we gave you a names of people, except that we gave you name of things, except that we gave you names of places, except that we gave you deities to worship, except that we name your principal city, except that we gave you art, except that we gave you monarchy, etc.

Oh wait. it seems I have already listed a few things only in the direction of Benin alone. I haven’t looked at Dahomey axis, Ghana, etc. oo.

It’s a wawu! grin

1 Like

Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by TAO12: 9:53am On Nov 28, 2020
samuk:
[s]You have a lifelong obsession to steal Benin history for the Yoruba using Ife, we are not going to allow it. Stick to your featherweight Yoruba history and write about it.

Too many people lost their lives for centuries to make and crystallize Benin history.

History is not made by hiding behind a computer screen to concoct and fabricate lies.

Yoruba are the ones suffering from insecurity otherwise they would have been contented with what they have[/s]
I can’t remember asking you for premium tears! grin cheesy

As if lies were not enough, now it’s lies + premium tears. Haha!

Anyways, to address your remark: I have a lifelong obsession to debunking Benin lies.

Nobody is stealing what is non-existent in the first place. We’re simply putting your history in its little place — that is, under the feet of the Ooni.

While doing that, we’re also shooting you down for every lie you attempt to peddle. This public disgrace will continue as long as you all continue attempt preying on unsuspecting readers.

Go cry for front abeg! grin

2 Likes

Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by TAO11(f): 10:11am On Nov 28, 2020
Fraud Alert!!

A renowned insecure Bini chronic liar (who is also known by the nickname TAO’s rag) has been peddling a certain type of misinformation:

He has been falsely alleging that the Benin-styled early Ife terra-cotta head shown below (which is another example of the Ife-Benin Connection) was produced in the 20th century, very recently.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/12756545_e30c714a5d034dfe872d685e9368873f_jpeg_jpeg5542a53557827a98b4f89d4849144f1c

As expected, this is another Benin lie from the pit of hell. Yes, I know you all already know it’s a lie because it’s coming from a Bini. I only thought I should pin-point why it’s a lie.

The date range seen in the image are as shown in the digital collection of the Smithsonian Institute. This date range does not say anything about when the terracotta was manufactured.

Rather, this date range here refers to the range of years within which all the images were entered into the institutions collections.

The same date range is also shown in the institutions collection even for other more popular and ancient Ife bronze artifacts such as those embedded below:

www.nairaland.com/attachments/12756546_8d00d167c71444278247eb54f474bbce_jpeg_jpeg21ff25172d0ed120b23f88b7b1c6ea04

www.nairaland.com/attachments/12756547_60e643ab4d76461086e0a3e20153a222_jpeg_jpeg6bc7d15a638a20e1f397788f60e077fe

Cheers:

cc: TheLionofLasigi

10 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by TAO11(f): 10:24am On Nov 28, 2020
gomojam:
No problem!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by TAO11(f): 10:47am On Nov 28, 2020

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by gregyboy(m): 12:33pm On Nov 28, 2020
TAO11:
So far in the course of this thread, the following retar.ded claims have been devastatingly debunked:

(1) The retar.ded claim (by disgruntled Binis) that Yorubas began using the word “Oba” in the post-1930s.

This has been debunked with written evidence of Yoruba usage from 1899, from 1897, from c.1867, from 1845, et al.

(2) The retar.ded claim (by @samuk) that there exists some “600 years” old written evidence of Benin usage of the word “Oba”.

This retar.ded claim is yet to be substantiated (even with an atom of evidence) despite more than 10 days (and still counting) of their torturous search. cheesy

Instead, these disgruntled Binis were at best only able to demonstrate (from their own warped logic) that the Yorubas have an earlier written evidence — 1845 (Yoruba) Vs. 1867 (Bini).

——————————————————
But what does it really mean that I was able to produce an 1845 written evidence and the Binis weren’t able to come even close to that ??

Well, it just simply means that the Binis weren’t able to come close to the Yorubas, despite their own bogus claim of wRiTteN eViDeNcE. Nothing more, nothing less! [I know I’m being too nice now]. grin

To put the same question in other words:
Does the comparative written evidence already provided really mean that the Binis began using this word only in the year 1867 — because that’s all they could provide ??

Funny enough, this line of warped reasoning is what the disgruntled Binis have been trailing. Should I play their game along with them? No, I’m Yoruba! cool

To every sound and logically mind, such conclusion (based on available writing) is too obvious as a flawed reasoning and logical fallacy — even though I could have forced their own flawed reasoning down their throats.

Such particular logical fallacy is know in analytical logic specifically by the name: argumentum ex silentio.
grin

————————————————————
Having debunked their deluded claim of 1930s [see (1)]; having exposed @samuk’s fraud of “600 years” old writing [see (2)]; having exposed their inability to produce anything close to (let alone earlier than) the Yorubas’ [see (2)]; having debunked their warped logic of arguing from earlier written usage (despite the fact that it favours me); I now turn, at this point, to discussing the actual objective evidence for determining the indigenous ownership of a word — that is, the linguistic evidence.

——————————————————————
The Argument:
(I) If a word is in use in a particular language, but its literal meaning can not be meaningfully analyzed within that language; then such word does not originally belong to that language. Gbam!

(II) The word “Ọba” (as used by the Binis for their monarch) does not have any literal meaning in the language of the Binis.

(III) In conclusion, the word “Ọba” (as used by the Binis for their monarch) does not belong originally to the Bini language — In other words, it is a loanword.

————————————————————
The Evidence:
An objective source of evidence for the meanings of Bini words is obviously and undoubtedly an authoritative dictionary of the Bini language itself.

[This is not to be confused with a dictionary of the English language which simply features a paltry number of non-English words of widespread, global, popular usage — such as: “fufu”, “agbada”, “oba”, et al.]

As such, recourse will now be made to a Bini-English Lexicon. This is so that the English readers here can access the written meanings which are attributed to the actual Bini words.

One such example of an authoritative material for this purpose is the work entitled: “A Concise Dictionary of The Bini Language of Southern Nigeria” compiled by the professor of African Phonetics and Linguistics, Hans Melzian.

———————————————————
Under the entry “Ọba” (for which Professor Melzian used “ɔ” to represent “ọ“, in order to distinguish /o/ as in odd smiley from /o/ as in old sad ); the following are some interesting observations from this Bini dictionary.

(A) Unlike what the author did with virtually all other Bini words within the same dictionary, he did not give a literal meaning to this word — as I have expected. cheesy

Rather, he simply describes the person whom the Binis refer to by this word. Interesting, isn’t it?! cheesy See embedded image below:

www.nairaland.com/attachments/12754901_bb7fcaad09fc479498aedbb24cb57370_jpeg_jpeg80dbd02cb7ce1db81e998db7e161c38e

(B) But more than that, the author (in fact) let the cat out of the bag. He revealed why this word could not have had a literal meaning in a dictionary of Bini language.

Before I reveal his reason, it is important that one is acquainted with a few notations and abbreviations which he define in his work.

Two examples of these are relevant to my discourse here, and they are: “Yor.” and “cf.” which he defines as: “Yoruba” and “etymological reference” respectively.

See embedded image below:

www.nairaland.com/attachments/12754902_541f22648c37485488282bea682c0e27_jpeg_jpegf272ec9b7e8de333789df15c524980aa

In the light of this background, let’s then see what reason the author indicates as to why this word could have appeared without a literal meaning in the Bini dictionary.

See embedded image below as highlighted on the top-right corner in continuation of the bottom-left corner.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/12754903_7e31a3d03b7c407ab60e863fbf8fb4c2_jpeg_jpegfba5de93eebde69a9ef00beabf7a605c

In the light of his foregoing definition of abbreviations, what we have here in the phrase “cf. Yor. ɔba” then becomes extremely clear and straightforward.

In other words, the word “Ọba” [ɔba] (used by the Binis for their monarch) has its ”etymology” [cf.] (aka. ”origin”) in the Yoruba language [Yor.]. cool grin

Quod Erat Demostrandum! cool

Rant upon rant, obalufon obatala, lol are you from ife, i guess No, but you defend like you an indigene, no matter how best you defend, you cannot defend better than sn idegenous ife man
You just defending because you're yoruba nothing more,

Seriously obalufon, obatala how do we know dey existed, how do we know dey were not recently coined to fit in the ownership of the word oba

Are you aware those sculpture in ife was bought from merchants they were not made in ife

Please my friend

The etymology of the word oba is shinning one

Literally the word oba means king in literal terms

So, words like obaseki means[b] a king is greater than the market[/b]

Please read in English and not in yoruba

Because i have so explain this to you, that even a deft man could get my explanation

The painful truth is that you lots are not from ife only an ife guy can debate the binis on some issues like this

So tell me how did the benins borrow the word oba from yoruba and please dont give me that oromiyan crap of a myth

And again why did the yoruba kings use an already used title for king in benin as a generic term for the king, if not for dubious purpose

The Europeans started using the word oba, as a collective word for yoruba kings because they needed a single word to discribe their kingship
And the only monarch they knew was oba of benin,

So it was easier to call them oba as a collective name

Wow so 41 yorubas are viewing this post including their mods that gets the bini banned for sharing references

Lol � even the devils wont help yorubas in this one, the benin-ife myth have been shattered by me and ghostwon

The benin ife myth was the backbone of the title oba but sinceit doesn't exist anymore the rope is just dangling towards d yoruba

2 Likes

Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by gregyboy(m): 12:46pm On Nov 28, 2020
gomojam:

Mugu dumb skull

The title of the warri king is olu, ogiemien is not a tilte but a name like obaseki

Not even all edo monarchy use ogie as title some
Use owa, some use osemawe

1 Like

Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by gregyboy(m): 12:51pm On Nov 28, 2020
TAO12:
This one is already afraid as usual. Yes, I am doing the advert on purpose. To terrify liars.

The 400 years old you’ve be tapping only proved one thing — that the Benin king was subject to another the king — the Ooni of Ife.

Ife-Benin relationship (showing Benin as subject) has been demonstrated incontrovertibly even on this thread.

No amount of sorrowful rant can wish that away. grin Deal with the real world. wink

Show me a European writeup from 16century testifying benin ife relationship

At least you brought a false benin sculpture found in the palace of ooni at 16c when the Europeans were already present, so i guess the Europeans wouldnt miss such important details ife they could mention all other yorubas benin had contact with definitely must have included ife

1 Like

Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by gregyboy(m): 1:13pm On Nov 28, 2020
TAO11:
Fraud Alert!!

A renowned insecure Bini chronic liar (who is also known by the nickname TAO’s rag) has been peddling a certain type of misinformation:

He has been falsely alleging that the Benin-styled early Ife terra-cotta head shown below (which is another example of the Ife-Benin Connection) was produced in the 20th century, very recently.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/12756545_e30c714a5d034dfe872d685e9368873f_jpeg_jpeg5542a53557827a98b4f89d4849144f1c

As expected, this is another Benin lie from the pit of hell. Yes, I know you all already know it’s a lie because it’s coming from a Bini. I only thought I should pin-point why it’s a lie.

The date range seen in the image are as shown in the digital collection of the Smithsonian Institute. This date range does not say anything about when the terracotta was manufactured.

Rather, this date range here refers to the range of years within which all the images were entered into the institutions collections.

The same date range is also shown in the institutions collection even for other more popular and ancient Ife bronze artifacts such as those embedded below:

www.nairaland.com/attachments/12756546_8d00d167c71444278247eb54f474bbce_jpeg_jpeg21ff25172d0ed120b23f88b7b1c6ea04

www.nairaland.com/attachments/12756547_60e643ab4d76461086e0a3e20153a222_jpeg_jpeg6bc7d15a638a20e1f397788f60e077fe

Cheers:

cc: TheLionofLasigi

Now this only proves terracotta is not unique to yorubas not ife, i mean yorubas, because ife didnt Make artworks they purchased them

Now the styles of the terrocotta is in the style of benin and it does not show any semblance with anything ife

Terracotta head is just a mud made sculpture and nothing unique, over here in benin the people still mold with muld

Ife never made any sculpture but rather they bought sculpture from artisans
Etinosa1234
AreaFada2
Samuk
Valirex
Ghostwon
Davidnazee

Dont be decieved

Even owo had terracotta heads and the owo terrocotta heads had theseme semblance with ife terracotta so how come that of benin is now different this only shows that owo and ife purchased thesame artwork and practice thesame culture of havingthem buried

3 Likes

Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by Nobody: 1:13pm On Nov 28, 2020
gregyboy:

Mugu dumb skull

The title of the warri king is olu ogiemien is not a tilte but a name like obaseki

Not even all edo monarchy use ogie as title some
Use owa, some use osemawe

grin grin grin clown
Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by gregyboy(m): 1:23pm On Nov 28, 2020
gomojam:
grin grin grin clown

If a benin person use that word on yorubas they would get him banned

So i will be civil not to get a tribal banned

1 Like

Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by Nobody: 2:09pm On Nov 28, 2020
Just to clarify: there is no such thing as etymology for west african languages. Etymologie is the history of the written word, and the latter is a thing we didn't have until very recently.
So there is no such thing as yoruba, Edo, igbo etymology ... Any paper claiming otherwise is a fraud.
Anybody using etymology arguments is lying to your faces.
Also, anybody using as argument: "what does that word mean in your language" is also either intellectualy deficient, either he is a concious liar.
Our native dictionnaries are just as new as our written words.
Let A be a word in our current dictionnary. Let B be the meaning we give to A today. Let C be the meaning our ancestors gave to A.
There is no proof that B=C.
Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by TAO11(f): 2:16pm On Nov 28, 2020
davidmarker:
[s]Just to clarify: there is no such thing as etymology for west african languages. Etymologie is the history of the written word, and the latter is a thing we didn't have until very recently.
So there is no such thing as yoruba, Edo, igbo etymology ... Any paper claiming otherwise is a fraud.
Anybody using etymology arguments is lying to your faces.

Also, anybody using as argument: "what does that word mean in your language" is also either intellectualy deficient, either he is a concious liar.
Our native dictionnaries are just as new as our written words.
Let A be a word. Let B be the meaning we give to A today. Let C be the meaning our ancestors gave to A.
There is no proof that B=C.[/s]
Folks here is another Benin liar spotted.

He changes is moniker whenever I smack his head against the wall.

His two monikers yesterday begins with the word “bandit”, he deleted them when the disgrace was unbearable.

He is about to tell as how a professor of linguistic actually knows nothing about linguistics.

He is deluded. He is from Benin.

No hiding place for Benin liars.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by Nobody: 2:19pm On Nov 28, 2020
Gregyboy give it a break pls. Your absurdities and illogicalities give u out under the veil of every monikers you keep creating just to propagate mumuism. grin grin

Go sleep one place abeg. You be confirm olodo.

2 Likes

Re: Why Ikwerres Are Not Igbo - The Logic Behind It by TAO11(f): 2:22pm On Nov 28, 2020
gomojam:
Gregyboy give it a break pls. Your absurdities and illogicalities give u out under the veil of every monikers you keep creating just to propagate mumuism. grin grin

Go sleep one place abeg. You be confirm olodo.
This particular one is not gregyboy tho.

This particular one is a certain @prolog.

He was around yesterday under a different moniker —@bandit.

He was forced to delete the two accounts. I have forced him to delete over 6 of his accounts on Nairaland.

He will soon start attaching maps, and videos of. Skin bronzes when I hit him in the balls where it hurts. I will attach his picture shortly.

Here is his picture:

www.nairaland.com/attachments/12021796_img20200729152633_jpeg1ed633b76001f39da7470c6ef2282281

One can already spot the Oshiomole/Obaseki (i.e. ugliness) in him.

I could swear his mouth stinks. grin

————————

He is rattled and restless that the word “Oba” can not be analyzed in Bini language; nor does it have a literal significance in Bini language.

I understand:- the whole world of lies built with falsehood are falling apart like pack of cards.

They must be disgruntled.

4 Likes 4 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (37) (Reply)

Muslims And Egungun Masquerade Clash In Osogbo (Video) / Why Cremation Should Be Practiced In Nigeria. / History Made In Ikorodu As Solat Was Observed On Their Late King

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 112
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.